Chalazion, also known as eyelid cyst, is a common condition which many of you may get infected. In most cases, a chalazion is usually not serious and resolves on its own within two to eight weeks. When you are infected with chalazion, it may be swollen, red and painful in your eyelid. As a result, it makes you feel uncomfortable and unconfident about your appearance though it does not obstruct your vision.
In making effort to get rid of chalazion, a lot of people resort to surgery, clinic or antibiotic medication eye drops from drug store whereas others look for some safe and effective home remedies as a natural alternative to medicine. In this article, we are going to list out some of the best natural home remedies for chalazion on the eyelid. Before taking a deep look at how to treat chalazion naturally at home, let’s first learn some basic information about chalazion.
- Natural home remedies for styes in eyes relief
- Natural home remedies for aching eyes treatment
- How to treat red eyes naturally at home without eye drop
What Is Chalazion?
Chalazion, a medical term for an eyelid cyst, is a small lump that appears under the skin of lower or upper eyelid because of a blocked oil gland. The blocked gland can be the meibomian gland or the gland of Zeis. The lump may be hard or soft and fluid-filled. When you have a chalazion, it can cause swelling, redness and irritation. This eyelid cyst is not an infectious disease and may disappear without treatment. Normally, this kind of condition happens more often in adults than in children.
Sometimes, people confuse a chalazion or meibomian cyst with an internal or external stye. In fact, internal stye is the infection of meibomian gland and external stye is the infection in the area of the base of eyelash and sweat gland. Styes are often painful while chalazia are usually painless. A stye and cellulitis can appear similar. A chalazion may arise after stye. Together with hordeolum, chalazion is one of two types of styes.
What Are Common Causes Of Chalazion?
It is not always possible to identify the cause of a chalazion. However, the major common factors causing chalazion may include as below:
- The most common cause of chalazion is when the oil-producing meibomian glands in the eyelids are blocked and inflamed. Inflammation or viruses affecting the meibomian glands are also the causes of chalazia. That is why those who have seborrhea, rosacea, acne, chronic blepharitis, tuberculosis, viral conjunctivitis and long-term infection or inflammation covering the inside of the eyes and eyelids are susceptible to chalazion.
- People who have thicker meibomian gland secretions than others may incur a greater risk of developing a chalazion.
- People who had one chalazion in the past are likely to take a greater risk of developing another one in the coming time.
- Improper hygiene
- An infection can lead to chalazion (rare)
- A chalazion is a sign of infection or symptom of skin cancer (rare)
What Are Symptoms Of Chalazion?
Chalazia look the same in everyone. They begin with a small red area that is swollen and sore when touched. A large chalazion can lead to astigmatism because of pressure on the cornea. The pain usually wears off after a few days and a bump remains. Once you have a chalazion, you may experience:
- A non-painful lump (usually hard) or gradual swelling under the skin of the upper or lower eyelid
- Red, swollen, slightly irritated, painful (rare) in the affected area
- Excessive tearing
- Discomfort and blurry vision
- Inflammation and swelling may spread to the area surrounding the eye
When To See A Doctor?
As always, the best source for advice on treating your chalazion is your own doctor. Your doctor makes a diagnosis by taking a close look at the lump with a penlight and some source of magnification and palpation. Then, he or she may ask you some questions to know about your symptoms and full medical history in general before he initiates the right treatment for the chalazion and tells you how to take care of it. Schedule a doctor’s visit if you experience these warning signs as follows:
- Chalazion blocks your vision.
- You are a patient with a history of chalazion.
- You have recurring or unusual chalazia. Recurrent chalazia in the same region may be a sebaceous cell carcinoma symptom.
- Chalazion gets very large and does not go away for a long time after some treatments.
Top 38 Natural Home Remedies For Chalazion Cysts On The Eyelid
1. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera, also known as a “wonder plant”, is a type of plant that has thick pointed leaves with the gooey gel inside. Besides being used as food, aloe vera is well known for healing many diseases such as burn, dental, hair and skin problems, liver, digestion, diabetes, chalazion, and so on.
It has the property of anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial which are said to be able to reduce redness and fight infection from symptoms of chalazion. In addition, aloe vera is great for treating chalazion thanks to its powerful antioxidants called polyphenols that can help stop the growth of bacteria in the affected area. It is also a rich source of vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B, C, E, folic acid, calcium, zinc, sodium, magnesium, potassium, manganese, copper, chromium, and selenium. Thus, this plant is a nutritious boost for your body to fight against chalazion and recover quickly. All you have to do is:
- Pick up a fresh aloe vera leaf
- Wash the leaf thoroughly with water
- Use a knife to peel off the green skin and get the gel inside.
- Directly apply the gel to the affected area
- Leave it for 15 to 20 minutes
- Wash the area with lukewarm water
- Repeat every two hours daily in a week
- Take a fresh aloe vera leaf
- Wash the leaf thoroughly with water
- Cut open the aloe vera leaf and extract the gel inside
- Cut the gel into small pieces
- Add the gel into a blender.
- After crushing, strain to get fresh aloe vera juice
- Soak a cotton ball in the juice for 5 minutes
- Directly apply the gel to the eyelid cyst for twenty minutes
- Reapply every two hours daily in a week
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar can be found easily in many kitchens. Normally, it has been used for cooking but this vinegar also shows great benefits in treating many diseases.
The treatment for diseases includes rashes, digestive problems, acne, hiccups, sore throat, blood sugar, urinary tract infections, sinus infections and even chalazion. Apple cider vinegar is loaded with healing compounds such as acetic acid, magnesium, potassium, enzymes, and probiotics which can kill harmful bacteria causing for most chalazia and fostering the growth of good bacteria. It further contains the anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that can help protect you from bacterial sustaining in the affected areas and reduce pain and inflammation. Let’s do as follows:
- Heat one cup of water
- Add two tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar and mix well
- Dip a cotton ball or cotton pad into the cup
- Apply the cotton ball directly to the top of the swollen bump (make sure not to get in your eye)
- Leave it for at least five minutes
- Follow the process 3 times a day
- Dissolve a tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar to 230ml of water
- Add a dash of salt (optional)
- Stir them well
- Drink this concoction slowly two times every day
- Apple cider vinegar cannot be used as a substitution for antibiotics.
- You can mix both method 1 and method 2 for a better result.
- In case you don’t have apple cider vinegar, use fresh lemon juice instead.
3. Guava Leaves
In Mexico and South America, the young guava leaves have been used to make tea as a traditional medicine for centuries. Guava leaves naturally provide numerous benefits related to diarrhea, diabetes, lower cholesterol, cancer, acne, skin texture, hair loss, toothache, immunity, gastrointestinal, heart, brain, cough, and chalazion without any side effects.
Furthermore, the leaves are full of antioxidants such as vitamin C and flavonoids like quercetin which can eliminate free radicals found in the skin tissues and bacteria causing chalazia.
What you need to do is:
- Collect 5 to 6 fresh guava leaves and wash them thoroughly with water
- Warm the leaves by putting in a microwave for a few seconds or in a pot of boiling water for five minutes
- Pick a warm leaf and place it on the affected eyelid. You can also put a warm wet cloth over the leaf for optimum results.
- Replace a new warm leaf when the old one cools down
- Follow the process two times daily for several days
4. Acacia Leaves
Acacia leaves have many powerful health benefits in treating many diseases such as diabetes, high blood pressure, digestive problems, headache, acne, intestinal problems and so on. When we use acacia leaves in combination with a warm compress, they reveal extremely effective for healing chalazion.
They also have the anti-inflammatory effect that may help combat infection, lessen swelling, and reduce the bumps that are blocking or blurring your vision in the removal of chalazion. Do as below:
- Take a handful of acacia leaves and clean them carefully with water
- Boil the leaves in two cups of water
- Wait for them to become warm and remove the leaves
- Soak a clean cloth in the water
- Use it as a warm compress on the eyelids
- Do this again a few times a day for several days until your symptoms are improved
Note: Those who are taking medicines such as an antibiotic, amoxicillin, and drugs containing tannin or are having an allergy to acacia leaves, respiratory illness, pregnant and breastfeeding women should avoid using acacia leaves.
Parsley is not only used for culinary purpose but also has surprising health benefits in the treatment for cancer, diabetes, bone health, immune system, kidney, pain alleviator, fatigue, chalazion and many more. In the treatment of chalazion, parsley is very effective in drawing out toxic substances causing the lump, thus boosting the healing process.
It also acts as the mild antibacterial and anti-inflammatory agent, which can keep a curb on further infection and relieve you from swelling and pain. What you have to do is:
- Pick a handful of fresh parsley leaves
- Rinse the parsley leaves thoroughly with water
- Place the leaves in a small bowl
- Pour a cup of boiling water in the bowl
- Wait for the water to cool down in few minutes
- Dip a clean washcloth in the parsley water
- Wring to remove excess water from the cloth
- Directly put the warm cloth over the affected eyelid
- Leave it for 15 to 20 minutes
- Remove the cloth and wash the affected area with lukewarm water
- Follow the process three times per day for a week
Raw onion is one of the top natural treatments for chalazion that many people apply successfully. The uses for onion are plentiful including being widely used as food and medicinal purpose. Its wide-ranging health benefits are comprised of everything from Parkinson, cardiovascular, stroke, blood pressure, cancer, heart disease, gastric ulcer to skin and hair problems, fever, common cold, allergies, chalazion, etc.
According to Victoria Jarzabkowski – a nutritionist in Fitness Institute of Texas at the University of Texas, onions are super healthy. They are a powerhouse of vitamin C, flavonoids, sulphuric compounds, and phytochemicals. Phytochemicals, also known as phytonutrients, are disulfides, trisulfides, cepaene and vinyldithiins that are very helpful in activating healthy reactions for the human body. Onion contains a valuable flavonoid called quercetin which works as the antioxidant and anti-inflammation that is able to minimize pain, swelling and promote recovery for chalazion.
Let’s see how to reap its benefits as below:
- Take a fresh onion, peel its skin and cut the root end
- Wash it carefully with water
- Chop the onion into small pieces
- Put onion pieces into a food processor and blend them in a minute
- Pour the mixture through a strainer and press to get fresh onion juice
- Drop onion juice directly on the chalazion
- Repeat at least three times a day for best results
Note: Directly applying the onion on the chalazion may cause discomfort at first
Garlic or Allium sativum is not only a spice used in cooking but also a prescription for treating a variety of medical conditions.
Many studies have concluded that garlic has the allicin – a compound with a lot of medicinal properties such as combating common cold, flu, asthma, sickness, wounds, infections, acne, overweight, reducing blood pressure, lowering the risk of heart disease, hypertension, balancing cholesterol levels, detoxifying body, improving bone health, healing Alzheimer’s, dementia, cancer, diabetes, intestinal problems, psoriasis, hair loss, earaches and eye diseases including chalazion . Besides, it is packed with selenium, quercetin, vitamin C, antibacterial and anti-oxidants, all of which help to treat swelling, fastening the process of chalazion cure. Let’s do like this:
- Take a fresh clove of garlic
- Separate the garlic cloves
- Cut the hard bottom of each clove
- Remove garlic skin of each clove
- Wash the cloves with water
- Chop all the cloves finely
- Put all the chopped cloves into a cloth bag
- Firmly press the bag to get fresh garlic juice
- Pour the juice in a cup
- Soak a clean cotton swab or your index finger in the garlic juice
- Use the cotton swab or your finger to apply garlic juice on your chalazion
- Leave it for 10 to 15 minutes
- Clean the affected area with lukewarm water
Note: Remember to clean your hands and the affected area with warm water before applying the garlic juice
Tomato is not only a popular fruit in every kitchen but also owns a lot of impressive health benefits such as improving eyesight, lessening blood pressure and cholesterol level, relieving from diabetes and urinary tract infection, protecting the kidneys, preventing premature aging, increasing blood circulation and digestion, detoxifying the body, contributing in making a firm and beautiful skin, etc.
Much more than that, it also contains a large amount of vitamin A, C, K, B6, folate, thiamin as well as potassium, phosphorous, manganese, copper and magnesium, which can act as a protective effect against diseases and offer overall health benefits. It has been proven that tomato is comprised of antioxidants that can help get rid of eyelid cysts quickly.
This fruit is especially great at reducing inflammation and alleviating the pain of chalazion. Let’s explore how to make the most use of tomato as below:
- Prepare a fresh tomato
- Cleanse it thoroughly with water
- Cut the tomato into slices
- Directly place tomato slices over the affected area
- Leave it for at least five minutes
- Do this three times per day
- Choose a fresh ripe tomato
- Rinse it with water
- Cut the tomato into four pieces
- Place the four tomato pieces in a blender or food processor
- Mix them well under medium speed
- Filter the mixture by a strainer to get fresh tomato juice
- Soak a clean cotton pad into fresh tomato juice
- Apply the cotton pad directly on the chalazion
- Reapply when it becomes dry for two more times
- Leave it for 10 to 15 minutes
- Follow the process at least three times a day
Similar to tomato, cucumber has an incredible healing effect on eyelid cyst. Many studies have shown that the consumption of cucumber daily helps cut down the risk of heart diseases, obesity, diabetes, dehydration, cardiovascular disease, blood pressure, kidney stones, constipation, cancer, skin problems, and even chalazion. Cucumbers are also a powerhouse of vitamin A, C, K, fiber, folic acid, minerals, magnesium, molybdenum, potassium, etc. It further has ascorbic and caffeic acids, which are very useful in treating swelling, burns just like chalazion.
The refreshing and astringent of cucumber’s flesh may help decrease inflammation and pain from eyelid cyst. How to use:
- Pick a fresh cucumber
- Wash it thoroughly with water
- Peel off its skin
- Cut the peeled cucumber into thin slices
- Place the slices over the infected area
- Leave it for at least fifteen minutes
- Do this again three times a day
- Take two medium size fresh cucumbers
- Clean them carefully with water
- Peel the two cucumbers
- Use a sharp knife to remove the bottom and the top of the cucumber
- Chop the cucumbers into large chunks
- Put all the chunks into a blender
- Blend them well with medium or high speed
- Pour the blended cucumbers through a strainer
- Use a metal spoon to stir and press down the blended cucumbers to get fresh cucumber juice
- Dip a cotton pad into the fresh cucumber juice
- Directly apply the cotton pad to the affected area
- Leave it for at least 15 minutes
- Repeat three times per day
10. Bitter Gourd
Bitter gourd is one of the medicinal foods for chalazion that you should not miss out.
It is an excellent source of vitamin C, A, B-complex (B3, B5, B6), folates, minerals, and electrolytes. Recently, modern science has confirmed many of bitter gourd’s beneficial effects for skin, hair and health. It may help to treat many diseases such as liver tonic, respiratory order, acnes, diabetes, constipation, kidney and heart diseases, cancer, skin problems, chalazion and many more. The antimicrobial and antioxidant properties of bitter gourd may clear toxins, prevent infections and cause the cyst to heal faster. Here is how to reap its benefits:
- Select a fresh organic bitter gourd
- Cleanse it thoroughly with water
- Use a knife to cut the bitter gourd into thin slices
- Wash your chalazion with lukewarm water
- Close your eyes
- Place the bitter gourd slices on your closed eyes
- Keep them for at least fifteen minutes before removing them
- Redo 2 to 3 times per day
- Choose a fresh organic bitter gourd
- Carefully wash it with water
- Cut the bitter gourd into half
- Remove the seeds
- Chop the bitter gourd finely
- Extract the chopped bitter gourd to get fresh pure bitter gourd juice
- Pour the juice into a cup
- Use a clean cotton swab or cotton pad to soak into the bitter gourd juice
- Apply the wet cotton pad on the chalazion
- Leave it for 15 minutes, then remove the cotton pad
- Follow the process two to three times daily
It has been proven that potato makes a great contribution to the treatment of many diseases such as bone and heart diseases, blood pressure, digestive problems, metabolism, satiety, skin diseases, chalazia and many more. It is also enriched with a wide range of vitamins like C, B6, and minerals such as iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium, phosphorous, niacin, zinc, etc.
Particularly, choline present in potato and quercetin – a flavonoid found in potato’s skin are two important nutrients which have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant capabilities to prevent chalazion and its symptoms. It additionally has an astringent property which may help contract the tissues, cut down irritation and pain from eyelid cyst. All you have to do is as follows:
- Pick a fresh organic potato
- Peel its skin
- Wash it clearly with water
- Grate the peeled potato finely
- Put the grated potato into a cloth and place it directly onto the affected area
- Leave it for at least 10 minutes
- Remove and wash with lukewarm water
- Repeat several times per day
- Take a fresh organic potato
- Remove its skin with a knife
- Clean it thoroughly with water
- Slice the potato into thin pieces
- Directly apply potato slices to the chalazion
- Keep it for ten minutes then remove
- Do it again for several times throughout the day
Note: Do not use a potato that is sprouting or has green discoloration.
12. Coriander Seeds
For thousands of years, coriander seeds have been used to treat many different ailments such as aiding digestion, facilitating hair growth, curing skin diseases, cold, flu, anemia, conjunctivitis, menstrual irregularities, diabetes, chalazion, etc. Apart from that, coriander seeds possess the antibacterial and anti-inflammatory benefits that may help to defeat chalazion effectively. To use coriander, do the following:
- Prepare one teaspoon of coriander seeds
- Put the seeds and a glass of water into a saucepan or a kettle
- Boil them under medium heat for ten minutes
- Let it become cooler and strain
- Dip a clean cotton pad in the solution
- Directly place the cotton pad onto the chalazion
- Leave it for ten or fifteen minutes, then remove
- Perform the process three times a day
Note: You can wash your eyes with the liquid instead of using a cotton pad.
Turmeric, also known as Curcuma longa, is an efficient chalazion natural home treatment that you might want to try. The curcumin in turmeric was proven to strengthen brain-derived neurotrophic factor, boost brain function, and bring a low risk of brain diseases. It is said that turmeric may help prevent heart disease and cancer, too. It is also beneficial for fighting against Alzheimer’s disease, arthritis, depression, and delaying aging and age-related diseases. Turmeric is also a marvelous remedy for releasing the signs of eyelid cyst thanks to its three great advantages. Firstly, curcumin found in turmeric is a potent antioxidant, antibiotic and anti-inflammation which may help fight against infection. Secondly, using turmeric to cure chalazion may break up any underlying blockage in the eyelid and the pores of the eyelashes. Thirdly, turmeric might also act as a painkiller and soothe skin irritations and burning. Let’s do as follows:
- Take some fresh turmeric roots from a turmeric plant
- Remove long roots and wash them clearly with water
- Place all of them into a pan
- Boil them under medium heat for 45 minutes
- Cut the rhizomes into small vertical slices
- Dry them under sunlight in ten to fifteen days
(Or dry by an oven at around 60 degree Celsius if you are running against time)
- Finely grind the dried turmeric slices to get turmeric powder
- Put the turmeric powder in a jar in a cool and dry place
- Take a tablespoon of turmeric powder
- Mix them with honey and put in your mouth
- Drink the mixture down with plenty of water
- Wash your eye with warm water
- Follow the process two to three times per day
What you need:
- A ½ cup of distilled water
- 1/8 teaspoon of powdered Triphala (an herbal combination of Indian three fruits: Amalaki, Bibhitaki and Haritaki)
- 1/8 teaspoon of powdered turmeric
What you have to do:
- Sanitize all equipment and work surfaces
- Boil the distilled water
- Put triphala and turmeric powder in boiling water
- Steep it for 10 minutes
- Use a fine mesh to strain the liquid
- Leave it to become cooler
- Pour the liquid into a clean jar and keep it in the fridge
- Apply two to three drops to each eye
- Do this in the morning and at night every day
- Avoid using turmeric if you are having blood thinners, kidney stones or disorders, gout, gall bladder obstruction and allergic to turmeric and other members of the ginger family.
- Stop using turmeric two weeks before surgery if you are in this case.
14. Castor Oil
The ancient Egyptians used castor oil to treat eye irritations and effective natural skin care. In India, people also use castor oil as a traditional Ayurvedic medicine in the treatment of skin issues and digestive soothing.
It is also an all-natural antibiotic that may get rid of many things such as cancer, boils, constipation, infection, wounds, aging, stretch marks, pigmentation, hair loss, premature graying hair, ringworms, joint pain, back pain, autoimmune diseases, and apparently chalazia. Thanks to its powerful anti-inflammation, it may heal chalazion by easing the pain and inflamed eyelid cyst.
The oil also combats chalazion quickly by decreasing swelling and the size of the cyst speedily. How to use:
- Directly place a moist and warm compress on your eye
- Keep it for around five minutes
- Remove the warm compress
- Gently apply a little of castor oil to the affected area
- Do this a couple of times every day
- Follow the process in a week or two
- Prepare a ½ tablespoon of turmeric powder and a ½ tablespoon of castor oil
- Mix them well together to form a thick paste
- Clean the chalazion with warm water
- Apply the paste directly to the chalazion
- Leave it for 15 minutes
- Remove the paste and rinse with warm water
- Redo three times a day
- Do this until the eyelid cyst disappears
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women need to consult their doctor before using castor oil.
- Castor oil is not recommended for people who have appendicitis or allergies to it.
15. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is literally full of medical properties, which work wonders in improving memory and concentration, boosting heart health, supporting cancer treatment, protecting liver and pancreas, treating urinary tract infection, diabetes, bones or chalazion, and many more.
The anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of coconut oil may treat chalazia. When being applied to the affected area, the lauric acid and monolaurin housed in the oil form a chemical layer which may keep the area away from external dust, virus, and bacteria, thereby speeding up the healing process for the cyst.
What you have to do is:
- Prepare half of a teaspoon virgin coconut oil, a piece of clean gauze bandage, and a clean cotton ball
- Put the coconut oil onto the gauze bandage carefully
- Secure the bandage to your eye with a medical tape
- Place the cotton ball over the gauze bandage
- Leave it overnight
- Remove the bandage in the next morning and wash your eye with warm water
- Repeat for at least two nights or until your symptoms disappear
16. Fish Liver Oil
Fish liver oil or cod liver oil has been used as a nutritional supplement for human. This oil has therapeutic effects on ear infection, allergies, asthma, kidney diseases, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and triglycerides, heart diseases, osteoarthritis, depression, autoimmune, skin wound, bone problems like fractures or osteoporosis, eye disorders such as glaucoma, poor eyesight, and certainly chalazion.
It is also rich in omega 3 fatty acids, vitamin A and D. The United States Department of Agriculture said that one tablespoon of fish liver oil consists of 4080 mg of retinol (vitamin A) and 34 mg of vitamin D. vitamin A, D and omega 3 are important nutrients that are known for lowering inflammation in the process of chalazion treatment.
All you have to do is:
- Prepare two soft gels of fish liver oil and a cup of water
- Drink two softgels of fish liver oil with water
- Follow the process once a day for sixty days (two months)
Note: Fish liver oil is not recommended for people who are using medications for high blood pressure
17. Frankincense Oil
Frankincense oil, also called olibanum is mainly used for perfume, incense fumigation, and pharmaceuticals. The oil can give you relief from the uncomfortable symptoms of awkward eye cyst.
Apart from acting as a health beneficial aromatherapy for relieving stress, cleaning house, fighting wrinkles and anti-aging, oral hygiene, reducing acne, digestive distress like gas, constipation, irritable bowel, stomach aches, healing scar, wound, stretch mark, cold, flu, immune system, pain, cancer, astringent, hormone level balance, sleep problems, etc . This oil may efficiently combat chalazion.
It contains anti-inflammation, antiseptic, and disinfectant properties that may kill harmful germs and bacteria, ease pain, make the eye bump pop and pus oozes out, and as a result, the bump size decreases considerably and quicken recovery from chalazion. Do as follows:
- Take a small bottle of organic essential frankincense oil
- Wash your affected area with warm water
- Make it dry
- Pour a bit of organic essential frankincense oil on your fingertip
- Gently massage the oil on your chalazion, especially head of it for five minutes
- Let it become dry naturally
- Perform the process two to three times per day
- Stop using frankincense oil if your skin is allergic to the oil
- Clean your hands and fingers thoroughly before touching the oil and chalazion
18. Flaxseed Oil
Flaxseed oil, also known as flax oil or linseed oil, is a colorless to yellowish oil coming from the seeds of the flax plant. Daily consumption of flaxseed oil may make your skin and hair healthy.
The oil may aid in lowering cholesterol level, improving digestive problems, treating heart diseases, constipation, diarrhea, cancer and menopausal symptoms. Surprisingly, flaxseed oil may also help in the treatment of chalazion. It is storehouses of manganese, vitamin B1, dietary fiber, micronutrients, essential fatty acids like linoleic acid and alpha-linolenic acid (also known as ALA or omega 3). Particularly, omega 3 fatty acid refers to ALA (alpha-linolenic acid), EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) which are very important and necessary for the body to maintain good health. It also embraces lignans – the estrogen-like chemical compounds with antioxidant qualities which may help release uncomfortable symptoms of chalazion.
The oil may also make the improvement for eyelid cyst much faster. To reap the most benefits of flaxseed oil, follow these steps below:
Method 1: Flaxseed oil
- Cleanse your chalazion with water thoroughly
- Pour a ½ teaspoon of organic essential flaxseed oil on your finger tips
- Gently rub the fingertips again and again each other for one to two minutes
- Apply the oil to the chalazion
- Massage lightly the affected area with your fingertips for five minutes
- Leave it for at least ten minutes
- Wash the chalazion with lukewarm water
- Do this 3 times per day
Method 2: Flaxseed oil and Fish liver oil
- Prepare two drops of organic flaxseed oil and two drops of organic fish liver oil
- Blend them well to form an oil mixture
- Put a bit of the oil mixture on your palm
- Rub against your two palms for 1 to 2 minutes to make the oil warm
- Use your fingertips to apply the warm oil to your eyelid cyst
- Gently massage around the cyst for 5 minutes
- Leave it for 10 minutes
- Redo 3 times daily until your chalazion disappears
- Stop using flaxseed oil if you have an allergic reaction to the oil.
- Cleanse your hands and fingers thoroughly before touching the oil and chalazion
- If you are going to have a scheduled surgery, stop using flaxseed oil two weeks before the surgery.
- Pregnant women and patients with bleeding disorders should ask for doctor’s advice before using flaxseed oil.
19. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt has numerous health benefits such as easing stress, relaxing the body, relieving pain and muscle cramps, functioning muscle and nerves properly, preventing hardening of blood clots and arteries, making insulin more effective, releasing constipation, eliminating toxin from the body, treating chalazia and so on. Studies have shown that the magnesium and sulfate components in Epsom salt are readily absorbed through the skin. Magnesium plays an important role in reducing inflammation. Sulfates improve the absorption of nutrients, help flush toxins and alleviate aches and pains .
It also consists of anti-fungal and anti-microbial properties, which make it one of the most effective home remedies for chalazion.
Method 1: Warm salt compress
- Clean your eyes with mild baby shampoo
- Fill two small clean bags with rice
- Tie a knot to form two small balls
- Heat the rice bags in the microwave oven for about one minute
- Boil a ½ cup of water
- Dissolve a ½ cup of Epsom salt in boiling water
- Let the water become cooler
- Soak two clean cotton pads into the salt water
- Put the soaked pads on each eye
- Hold the heated rice bags on two closed eyes
- Keep them for half an hour
- Repeat four to five times daily
- Be careful not to burn your eyelids while performing the process.
- You can save the rest of the salt water and heat it again for next time you use.
Method 2: Salt water rinse
- Bring a mixture of Epsom salt and water (50/50) to boil
- Wait for the solution to become less hot
- Close your eyes
- Wash your eyes carefully with warm salt water for 3 to 5 minutes
- Rinse your eyes with cool water
- Do this three times a day
Note: Epsom salt is taken internally only when you get trustworthy advice from your specialist.
20. Boiled Egg
Boiled egg may give essential aid in reducing risk of heart disease and stroke, lowering triglycerides, raising the good High-Density Lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, supporting weight management. Plus, eggs are composed of lutein and zeaxanthin – the antioxidants that are very useful for eye health and treating eye diseases including chalazion. Making boiled egg as a hot compress for your eyelid cyst can work effectively. Let’s do as below:
- Prepare a saucepan with one litter of water
- Put a medium-size fresh egg in the saucepan
- Bring the saucepan to boil
- Let it boil for ten to fifteen minutes
- Turn off the heat and strain the water from the saucepan
- Run cold water over the egg to quickly cool it down
- Crack the egg and remove its skin
- Wrap the egg in a clean and dry towel while it is still hot
- Apply the towel to the affected area
- Gently move around for 15 minutes
- Perform the process one or two times a day within a week
21. Breast Milk
Many of you may know that breast milk is very good for the health of both baby and breastfeeding women. It contains all the vitamins and nutrients, which may help to boost the child’s intelligence and protect the baby from illness, allergies, obesity, SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome), ear infection, gastroenteritis, etc. thanks to its disease-fighting substances.
The mothers who feed their babies with breast milk may reduce stress level and risk of postpartum depression. So, you can see that there are varieties of breast milk’s benefits for mother and her baby.
Along with that, breast milk consists of antibodies that may help fight against diseases including chalazia. It might help encourage improvement by reducing swelling and the size of the lump quickly. It can be used externally for both children and adult in the treatment of chalazion. Here is how to use:
- Take a half spoon of breast milk
- Wash your chalazion with warm water
- Keep it clean and dry
- Soak your index finger or a clean cotton pad in the milk
- Gently apply the milk to the eyelid cyst
- Massage around for 2 to 3 minutes
- Make it dry naturally
- Wash the chalazion again with warm water
- Re-apply three times per day
- Prepare a ½ teaspoon of breast milk, a ½ teaspoon of fresh aloe vera gel, a ½ teaspoon of olive oil
- Mix all of them well
- Cleanse your affected area with lukewarm water
- Keep it clean and dry
- Use a Q-tips cotton swab to soak in the mixture
- Dab the cotton swab directly on the chalazion
- Gently massage for two to three minutes
- Leave it dry naturally
- Continue to follow the process three times a day until your symptoms are gone
Note: You can use whole milk instead of breast milk in case you don’t have breast milk.
22. Green Tea Bag
Green tea is famous for its medicinal use in the treatment for brain function, improvement of physical performance, cancer like breast cancer, prostate cancer, colorectal cancer, Alzheimer, Parkinson, dental health, type II diabetes, cardiovascular disease, obese, heart disease, stroke, skin disorder and apparently chalazion .
It also holds the highest amount of antioxidants of any tea due to the catechins in it. It contains polyphenols – natural chemicals which are said to provide an anti-inflammatory effect.
Both antioxidant and anti-inflammation in it make a great contribution to the healing process of chalazion by reducing pain and the size of the cyst, resulting in a fast and natural recovery. It is also high in tannic acid which is very necessary for removing a pesky cyst in your eyelid. With just a green tea bag, you can treat your chalazion at home in a natural way. Follow these simple steps:
- Dip a green tea bag in a cup of warm water
- Steep it for five minutes
- Pull out the tea bag and squeeze out the excess water
- Place the moist tea bag over the affected eyelid
- Hold it for 5 minutes
- Reapply several times every day
Note: Do not use hot water to steep the tea bag because it may burn your skin
Chamomile is an incredibly efficient homemade treatment for chalazion. It may also aid in healing stomach cramps, sleepless, migraines, immune system, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), dark circles, burns, scrapes, skin diseases, blood sugar, kidney damage, diabetes, nerve damage, stress, thyroid, breast cancer, muscle spasms and certainly chalazion. Chamomile is rich in anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, antioxidant, antifungal, anti-ulcer and astringent compounds. This may help decrease swelling and pain, fastening the healing process for uncomfortable eye cyst. All you have to do is:
Method 1: Chamomile leaves
- Prepare a handful of dried or fresh chamomile leaves
- Boil two cups of water and pour in a cup
- Add chamomile leaves to the boiling water
- Let it steep for 5 minutes
- Strain the solution to have chamomile tea
- Leave the tea to become warm
- Dip a clean cloth or cotton pad in the warm tea
- Place the cloth over the affected eye for ten minutes
- Do this once or twice a day in a week
Method 2: Chamomile tea bag
- Add one chamomile tea bag in a cup of warm water
- Steep for five minutes
- Remove the tea bag and squeeze out the excess water
- Apply the tea bag directly to the eyelid cyst
- Keep it for 10 minutes then remove
- Repeat one or two times daily
Method 3: Chamomile essential oil
- Take a tablespoon of organic chamomile essential oil
- Use a cotton swab or your index finger to dab the oil on the chalazion
- Massage gently around the infected area
- Keep doing this twice per day in the morning and evening within a week
- If you are allergic to plants belonging to the Asteraceae, Compositae family including ragweed, daisies, chamomile, asters, marigolds, and chrysanthemums, stop using it.
- Patients who take blood thinner medications, pregnant and breastfeeding women should ask a health expert or medical professional before taking chamomile.
24. Warm Compress
Warm compress is well known as an effective home treatment for numerous health conditions including bruise, arthritis, uveitis, myalgia, rosacea, mastitis, whiplash, earache, sinusitis, headache, neck pain, chemosis, folliculitis, decubitus, blepharitis, hemorrhoid, lymphedema, menstrual cramps, erythema nodosum, respiratory infection, cervical spondylosis, muscle pull, skin abscess, skin ulcer, skin cyst, eye infection, chalazion and many more .
In the treatment of chalazion, the heat can support in increasing circulation of blood to the affected area by dilating the blood vessels, enhancing gland drainage, reducing pain, swelling and inflammation, bringing in natural healing substances, then accelerating the curing process. Do as the following steps:
- Prepare 1 liter of clean and sterilized water and a clean soft cloth
- Bring the water to boil in a saucepan
- Dip the cloth in the hot water
- Wring out the excess water
- Wait until the cloth becomes warm
- Close your eyes
- Place the moist warm cloth on your closed eyes
- Gently press it against your chalazion and hold it for five to ten minutes, then remove
- Healing may be promoted by applying a warm compress to your affected eye for about 15 minutes 4 times a day.
Note: You can try facial steaming in the replacement for a warm compress.
25. Baking Soda
Baking soda is not only well-known for baking food or whitening your teeth but its uses are also for treating many health conditions such as digestive issues, cough, sore throat, cold, flu, injuries, stomach pain, bloating and gas, fungi, mold, parasites, gout, kidney and heart disease, urinary tract infection, muscle pain, fatigue and apparently chalazion. It may help release irritation and itching at the affected area by neutralizing toxins and irritants on the skin surface.
It also comes with antibacterial, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, and antifungal properties, which are the significant contributor to the process of healing chalazia. Mimic these steps:
- Add enough water to a bit of baking soda to form a milky paste
- Apply a thick layer of baking soda paste to the infected area
- Use a bandage to cover the paste
- Keep it for at least 15 minutes
- Remove the paste, then wash the chalazion with lukewarm water
- Reapply if needed
- Follow these steps two or three times daily
Whether you’re a patient of the chalazion or not, always keep in mind these things as follows:
- Do not try to squeeze or drain the chalazion, touch it as little as possible.
- Do not rub your eyes and make sure to cleanse your hand thoroughly before touching your eyes.
- Keep the affected area clean all the time.
- Keep all kinds of eye contact such as lenses and glasses clean before you use them on your eyes.
- In case you take any kinds of eye wash or eye drops like spoons, measuring cups, pots, saucepan, kettle, droppers, drying racks or towels… you should remember to carefully disinfect and sanitize all equipment and work surfaces.
- Do not wear eye make-up until the infected area has been healed.
- Bacteria may grow in make-up, so remember to replace your eye make-up every six months (especially mascara).
- Protect your eyes from dust and air pollution.
- Wash your eyelids regularly with baby shampoo and warm water when you are having a chalazion.
- Treat your chalazion immediately once it presents on your eyelid.
- Never share towels, handkerchiefs or eye make-up with anyone.
As with many other natural treatments, it is important to try several methods to find the one that works best with your body. Because chalazion can be stirred through a myriad of causes, there is not a cure-all in the realm of home remedies. What works best for one person may not be the ideal choice for others. Because of this, it is important to try some of them and make notes regarding the ones that worked best for you. And do you know any other interesting ideas for the article “Natural Home Remedies For Chalazion” that we have not mentioned? Please feel free to share with us in Home Remedies Category. If you have any question, please drop your comments in the box below. We will reply as soon as possible.