You’ve heard a lot about the baby cough disease, but what do you know about it? With any disease, if you do not understand it and do not know its symptoms, it is difficult to detect it soon. Coughing is a very common condition in baby. This disease can cause serious complications to the health of the child. However, the fact is that not many parents have the necessary knowledge in the prevention and treatment of cough in the baby.
Often, only when the baby has a long-term cough without being cured, parents take their children to see a doctor. This is a very wrong view, because then it is possible that their child’s illness has changed badly and is difficult to be treated. If you are experiencing the same situation, this article is for you. It will provide you with the most basic information as well as home remedies for baby cough relief in summer for this condition.
What Is Baby Cough?
Cough is a disease caused by acute respiratory infections. Acute respiratory infections are caused by bacteria Bordetella pertussis. This bacteria bind to the fimbria (they are very small and straight like the hairs and line in the inner part of the upper respiratory tract). This bacterium releases toxins, damages fimbria and causes inflammation (edema).Cough usually occurs at night, coughing for a long time causing the baby to have the red face, tears, nasal discharge and fatigue due to coughing spells and even prolonged insomnia.
Coughing is common in young children and infants. This disease can be spread through the respiratory tract, so people need to avoid direct contact with patients with coughs to avoid infecting the bacteria from the patient.
WHO, the World Health Organization, estimates that there are about from 30 to 50 million coughs occur worldwide each year, of which around 300,000 are fatal, most of them are children under one year of age and 90% are patients in underdeveloped countries and countries with temperate climate.
What Are Common Causes Of Baby Cough?
- Weather Change
Coughing is a common disease in erratic weather. As the young body is still developing, resistance is low. As the weather changes, the pathogens will grow stronger. If you do not know how to take good care and abstinence, children are very susceptible to infection.
- Environmental Pollution
Environmental pollution also causes the harmful substances, bacteria easily penetrate the respiratory system and affect the health of the child. The lungs and trachea will be severely injured by inhaling the dirt and toxic substances that cause cough.
- Getting A Cold
If a child coughs due to a cold, parents do not have to worry too much because most children experience coughing. However, to identify if a child has a cough due to a cold or not, parents should base on the following signs: sneeze, runny nose and cough; high body temperature and maybe be fever, baby cough with phlegm, quick breath, etc.
If the child has a cough, sore back, foot pain, fever, runny nose, hoarseness and nausea, the cause of cough due to the virus has penetrated into the child’s respiratory tract.
Sinusitis is also a cause for prolonged cough. Cause is bacteria enter the sinuses, causing coughing attacks. Moreover, ears, nose and throat are organs of communication. Therefore, when the nose tends to flow back into the throat, the child may have a cough.
- Swallowing Something
Children with cough that lasts weeks without any signs of illness, such as fever, runny nose, nor allergic or weather changes, are likely to have swallowed a small object in the throat or in the lungs. Children have a habit of playing with toys so it is easy to swallow fragments of toys or sniff small plastic pieces leading to respiratory infections.
What Are Common Symptoms Of Baby Cough?
Symptoms of cough baby usually change over time:
- The Incubation Period
Incubation period usually lasts from 2 to 30 days. However, the average is 5 – 12 days. During the incubation period, the patient does not have any abnormalities.
- The Onset Period
This period usually appears from 3 to 14 days, accompanied by manifestations such as: fever is light and progressive, inflammation of the respiratory tract causes dry cough, runny nose, sneezing and sore throat gradually develop into cough.
- The Worst Period Of Illness
This period usually lasts 1-2 weeks. The manifestations of childhood pertussis in young children occur during this period usually occur suddenly, without notice and do not choose the time, especially cough at night including: the occurrence of such cough episodes weakened the patient, in some cases the patient may have the appearance of pale skin, red eyes, teary eyes and even inability to breathe. These manifestations often occur in young children.
If the disease is not detected and treated promptly, the baby’s body will not be provided to oxygen to breathe. Long-term illness can cause children with respiratory failure, high fever, loss of appetite and exhaustion from prolonged coughing episodes, even worse cases that can lead to death.
What Are The Complications Of Baby Cough?
Coughing can cause serious and sometimes life-threatening complications in neonates and young children, especially those who have not been fully vaccinated.
About half of children under 1 year old coughing have to be hospitalized. The younger the child, the more necessary the hospital treatment. Among infants hospitalized for cough, there are about:
- 23% of patients will have pneumonia (lung infection)
- 6% of patients will have convulsions (tremors and uncontrollable tremors)
- 67% of patients will have apnea (slow breathing or apnea)
- 4% of patients will have encephalopathy
- 6% of patients will die
Who Is At Risk Of Baby Cough?
Infants and children under 12 months who did not receive the vaccination and children under 10 years of age who are not vaccinated are very susceptible to this disease.
When To See A Doctor?
If your baby has some of the following symptoms, you should take your baby to the doctor as soon as possible:
- Your baby has an acute cough with cramping, wheezing and cyanosis. This may be because the child has swallowed the object. In this case, the child needs first aid and is taken to the hospital as soon as possible.
- Your baby has cough with a fever of 39 degrees Celsius. The doctor will check whether the baby has pneumonia or not.
- When a child coughs with tiredness, chest tightening and excessive swallowing, it may cause bronchitis or asthma. In this case, parents should take the baby to see a doctor soon.
- If the cough is accompanied by a hoarse voice, the child may have acute laryngitis. Parents should take her to see a doctor soon. If late, children may have trouble breathing.
- If the baby is under 12 months old and have cough at night with nausea, you need to see the doctor immediately. Your doctor will check whether your child has gastroesophagealreflux or not.
There, you have discovered some information about baby cough. It is time to find out what the best natural home remedies for baby cough relief are. Take a look at TrueRemedies.com!
Top 18 Natural Home Remedies For Baby Cough In Summer
An amazing research is that your baby can stop coughing with a single lemon. If your child likes to eat lemonade, give them a try. Lemon juice can remove mucus and soothe the throat. For safety, do not feed lemons directly as they will damage baby’s enamel. Squeeze lemons into water or soak them with some honey and give your baby a drink.
2. Home Remedies For Baby Cough – Steam
Among home remedies for baby cough, steam is one of the most effective. Having a steam bath at night to reduce coughs is also an effective solution . Remember to close the bathroom door to allow the water to diffuse throughout the room, and your baby will feel better. You can add a few drops of eucalyptus oil or sage to the bath water for a quicker cough. If your baby feels cold while taking a bath, he or she can just take a sip of a hot drink.
3. Drink Tea
This is another must-try home treatment in this list of home remedies for baby cough. A cup of warm tea can help soothe the throat of your baby. Mild herb tea can be an effective cough medicine. Chrysanthemum tea and mint tea are the perfect choice. You can add a few drops of honey to the tea cup, which increases the rate of cough reduction.
4. Home Remedies For Baby Cough – Ginger
The next treatment in this list of home remedies for baby cough is ginger. Give your baby ginger or ginger tea when coughing is a very good way. Ginger can remove sputum in the throat, so that the baby no longer coughs. When using ginger as medicine, it should be noted that it is not recommended for children with hot organs or dry mouth, or constipation. Children who sweat a lot also should not use this remedy.
You can choose one of the following methods, or apply all of them to treat cough in your baby:
Method 1: Ginger And Salts
To implement this method, please follow the steps below:
- Prepare 50g old ginger, 20g granular salt, and 1 liter water
- Pick the old ginger, peel and wash them under the tap
- Crush ginger into small pieces and then cook them with 1 liter of water and salt
- Boil water and leave for 5 minutes, then you have ginger tea to use gradually
- According to this medicine, when children with a cough and runny nose, adults can use warm ginger water with salt to soak your baby’s feet, just soak and massage the soles of their feet before your baby going to bed
If you persist in 3 days, your child will end of cough and runny nose. The use of ginger oil to massage outside is mainly used to treat colds.
Method 2: Ginger And Water
To implement this method, please follow these steps below:
- Prepare 100 gr ginger and a little water
- Add a tablespoon of ginger to water
- Boil this mixture to make ginger tea for your baby to drink
Use ginger tea when ginger tea is hot. This kind of tea will help to reduce the cough immediately.
5. Thyme Leaf
This sounds strange when it comes to home remedies for baby cough, but it works. Thyme leaves help break and removes mucus in the throat when the baby coughs. This is the herb supposedly helps to reduce a cough better .
To do this remedy, please follow the steps below:
- Soak 2 teaspoons of thyme leaves in a cup of boiling water for about 10 minutes
- Then filter the water, add honey and lemon
- Take this thyme tea and lets your baby drink it. The sweet taste of honey will make your baby very fond of
Regularly apply this remedy, your child’s coughing condition will improve soon.
6. Home Remedies For Baby Cough – Water
This is also one of the little-known home remedies for baby cough. Drinking water when coughing is a great solution. Drinking water can reduce coughs by diluting the mucus and keeping the mucus membranes moist. There may use a few drops of water to drop into your baby’s nose to prevent dry nose.
This remedy is quite effective for both young children and adults. Garlic can treat cough because it contains a large amount of allicin – a natural antibiotic that can kill viruses, bacteria and soothe the throat.
This remedy can be processed in the following methods:
Method 1: Garlic And Honey
To implement this method, please follow these steps below:
- Prepare 2 garlic cloves which are crushed and then mix them with 2 teaspoons of honey
- Steam them with water. In this way, garlic does not need to be steamed too much. You just need to steam garlic until the garlic has a specific garlic smell
- Let’s your baby drink 1/2 teaspoon
Method 2: Only Garlic
To implement this method, please follow these steps below:
- Prepare 2 -3 cloves of crushed garlic, a little alum sugar and a little water
- Mix garlic and sugar together
- Put this mixture in half a bowl of water to steam about 15 minutes
Take this mixture for children to drink 2-3 times a day to treat cough and colds well.
8. Home Remedies For Baby Cough – Licorice Tea
Just put a few licorice slices into a cup of hot water, then you can let the child drink this kind of tea to repel the uncomfortable cough for your baby. Licorice tea has a sweet taste so it will be very easy for children to drink. This tea is antibacterial. It soothes the baby’s throat very quickly. Please apply this remedy 2-3 times a day to get the best effect.
This is considered one of the best natural home remedies for baby cough. Onion has the anti-inflammatory effect. It also helps to reduce sputum and improve the condition of the digestive system. Therefore, this is a very good remedy for cough in children.
Method 1: Onion And Sugar
This is the method for children under 1-year-old. To implement this method, please follow the steps below:
- Prepare an onion, 20g sugar, and hot water
- Peel and slice onion peeled, add, and then steam this mixture with water for 30 minutes
- Let the water cool (still slightly warm), take the onion water for baby to drink. If your baby does not drink all these onion water, you can keep it for future use. Warm it up before use.
Method 2: Onion And Honey
To implement this method, please follow the steps below:
- Peel and slice onion to have a half of a bowl onion
- Steam onion with water for 30 minutes
- Let it cool down (still slightly warm) and mix with 4 teaspoons of honey
- Use this mixture for baby to drink. Besides, you can let your baby eat the residual onion for the best effect. If your children do not drink all of this mixture, you can keep it for future use.
10. Home Remedies For Baby Cough – Rice Water And Fish Lettuce
This is reckoned one of the best home remedies for baby cough. To implement this remedy, please follow these steps below:
- Prepare 5 – 10 fish lettuce leaves and 1 bowl of rice water
- Wash lettuce leaves cleanly and then crush them
- After that, mix a bowl of rice water with the fish lettuce
- Boil the mixture for about 20 minutes. Take off the stove, and filter the water
- Cool the water and let your baby drink
Note: To be the best effect for this remedy, you should give your baby drink the water of fish lettuce about 1 hour after meals, 3 times a day. In addition, when you let your baby drink this mixture, you should let them abstain foods such as chicken, crab and shrimp.
11. Lemon Basil Leaf
The next one in this of home remedies for baby cough is using lemon basil leaf. The lemon basil leaves contain the essential oil whose the main components are cavaron. Therefore, lemon basil leaves can be used as cough and sore throat medicine for the baby.
To implement this remedy, please follow these steps below:
- Prepare some lemon basil leaves and a little sugar or honey
- Wash lemon basil leaves, add sugar or honey and then steam with water
- Give this mixture for your baby to drink 1-2 times a day to reduce cough
12. Shallot Leaf
Shallot leaves are used to treat newborn coughs very effectively. It is a remedy that are used by a lot of mothers and fathers whenever there is a change in weather causing new coughs to the infant. The using of shallot leaves to treat newborn babies cough not only treats the cough quickly, but also helps to provide nutrients to their bodies.
To apply this remedy, you can refer to the following methods:
Method 1: Shallot Leaves And Honey
The combination of shallot leaves and honey makes an effective way to treat baby cough. To implement this method, please follow the steps below:
- Pick up a handful of fresh shallot leaves, then wash them cleanly
- Let the shallot leaves are drained. Then we cut the shallot leaves, put them into the bowl and put the honey into this bowl, so that the honey can cover the whole shallot leaves
- Steam the mixture above with water until the shallot leaves are soft and smooth.
Every day, you should let your baby apply this method from 3 to 4 times, from 2 to 3 teaspoons each time. By applying this method, baby cough can be treated quickly.
Note: Do not use for children under 1 year old because honey can cause toxins for them.
Method 2: Shallot Leaves And Rock Sugar
This method is very popular. It can be used by infants under 1 year of age. Your baby does not need to be abstained as with these remedies above.
The use of the combination of shallot leaves and sugar to treat newborn infants is very simple. To implement this method, please follow the steps below:
- Pick up a handful of fresh shallot leaves with moderate thickness, then rinse thoroughly and let them drain
- Put all the shallots into the bowl with a sufficient amount of rock sugar and steam until the shallot leaves in the bowl soften and sugar melts completely
Please apply this method 2 to 3 times a day, 2 to 3 teaspoons each time to have the best results.
13. Home Remedies For Baby Cough – White Radish
This sounds strange when it comes to home remedies for baby cough, right? According to scientific studies, radish contains a lot of nutrients such as protein, sugar, fat, minerals, B vitamins, vitamin C and a lot of good amino acids for the body. Radish is used to treat respiratory illnesses, including baby coughs.
To apply this remedy, you only need to do the steps below:
- Prepare about 5 slices of white radish
- Then boil them with 1 cup of water for about 5 to 10 minutes
- When water is cool, give it to your child
Give this water for your baby to drink 1-2 times a day to reduce cough. That will help reduce cough and sputum.
14. White Rose
This is another must-try home treatment in this list of home remedies for baby cough. Essential oils from white rose petals are very effective in treating cough and sputum in young children.
The way to implement this remedy is very simple, you only need to do the steps below:
- Rinse the white rose petals cleanly and mix them with water and alum sugar
- Steam the mixture and filter for the juice
Please apply this method 3-4 times a day, 1 teaspoons of the juice per time to get the best result.
The above-mentioned natural home remedies are claimed to be able to reduce symptoms of baby cough. Although the home remedies for baby cough above are quite time consuming, slow-acting, their results are surprising. Choose some of them and alternate them in your treating to see how effective they are. If you have any contributing ideas about our article of “Top 18 Natural Home Remedies For Baby Cough” introduced in Home Remedies Category, do not hesitate to drop your words below this post. We will answer as soon as we could.