The human body regulates temperature via an internal mechanism. Normal body temperature is often 36.9 0C. As regular, this temperature maintains constant within acceptable fluctuating limitations no matter how weather conditions change. The condition of body heat or heat stress is described as a rise in temperature because of various reasons when the human body cannot cool down itself. When the body cannot keep its temperature cool and the temperature keeps rising, body heat happens.
In fact, extreme temperatures, both low and high, may trigger severe damage to the internal body organs, thereby impacting their functions. That is when the desire of knowing how to reduce body heat (heat stress) comes into the picture. There are many approaches to dealing with this condition, namely modern medicines, herbal remedies, Ayurvedic remedies, lifestyle changes, etc. All of them have their own advantages. This article will reveal some of the best home remedies to reduce body heat in babies and adults that you can refer to.
There is no science-based evidence for the following homemade recipes. The recipes we've focused on are traditional home remedies, so always consult your doctor and check out your health condition regularly.
- 31 Home Remedies For Heat Rash On Face, Neck, Arms And Legs
- 21 Home Remedies For Excessive Sweating On Face, Palm & Feet
- 10 Effective Home Remedies For Dehydration In Babies & Adults
What Are The Causes Of Body Heat?
Increase in body heat could be an alarming sign. It can be either the symptom of a viral/bacterial infection or medical conditions like a seizure, neurological and thyroid production disorders.
Another cause of increasing body heat in summer is excessive exposure to sun rays or dehydration.
TrueRemedies Partner Solutions
Need a Help from the Leading Expert Online, Available 24/7?
They’re all here and ready to answer your questions online or by phone. Keep asking questions until you get the answer you need.
Beverages containing caffeine or alcohol, spicy foods, and neuro-stimulatory drugs like cocaine are some risk factors which cause an increase in the internal body heat. Wearing tight clothes or going through extensive workouts without appropriate hydration also causes your body temperature to increase.
Who Is At Risk?
If not treated, body heat may cause heat stroke (sun stroke) and hot flashes. Also, it damages body organs and results in dizziness, muscle cramps, fatigue, nose bleeds, and nausea. People having medical conditions like hypertension and thyroid must be cautious prior to going out in hot summer days or consuming foods which might create the body heat.
Small children, older people, pregnant women, and lactating moms, physically unfit people, and infants seem to be at a higher risk of body heat.
To control body heat naturally, try some of these home remedies for body heat in babies and adults mentioned below, which use natural ingredients found in grocery stores or even your kitchen!
10 Effective Home Remedies To Reduce Body Heat In Babies And Adults
Body heat, in general, could cause a large amount of irritability and discomfort to sufferers. Knowing how to reduce body heat is an effective remedy to achieve a piece of mind and comfort. Home remedies to reduce body heat often include consumption of some foods and taking a large number of fluids on a regular basis. This article will reveal to you the top best home remedies to reduce body heat which just uses natural, easy-to-find ingredients around your house.
1. Coconut Water
Coconut water has electrolyte composition which is great for relieving heat exhaustion and body heat, in addition to providing your body with rehydration . Moreover, it is jam-packed with a lot of nutrients which can give your energy a boost.
Just simply drink a glass of coconut water several times per day to take its advantage.
Drinking a glass of the apricot juice with honey added will help in cooling down your body temperature and quench your thirst as well. As apricots are solid, so you need to extract their juice. Once you extracted the juice of apricots, you can drink it to treat heat stress.
3. Aloe Vera
Another popular but effective home remedy for body heat is aloe vera. Being a versatile plant, aloe vera with its cooling and soothing effects can maintain the normal body temperature.
- Extract the gel of a fresh aloe vera leaves and rub it over your body. Wait for 20 minutes before taking a cool bath.
- Repeat this routine a few times per day
- Make a homemade aloe vera juice by mixing 2 tablespoons of the gel of aloe vera with water. But, avoid consuming over 2 tablespoons of this gel daily.
4. Cool Water
This might be the simplest remedy to reduce body heat that you can apply instantly. Cool water can reduce body heat and help the human body recover rapidly from side effects of high temperature .
- Right after you notice a rise in your body temperature, drink a glass of cool water. Every 15 minutes, sip cool water for reducing body heat to prevent dehydrationsince it may worsen your condition.
- Alternatively, add some ice cubes to the foot tub filled with cool water. After that, immerse your feet in that bucket for 15 minutes or so.
- Enjoy a cool bath to lower your body heat.
Similar to sandalwood, peppermint also has soothing and cooling effects, that is why it is one of the effective home remedies to reduce body heat. According to a study in 2015, L‐menthol application before or after the end of exercise helps induce cool sensations in our body, consequently reducing the thermal discomfort. Another study in 2016 showed that adding peppermint powder to the daily diet of broiler chickens helped improve oxidative stability, performance, carcass and internal organ weights, and body temperature regulation.
Try one of the following methods:
- Simmer a proper amount of peppermint leaves in a pot containing boiling water for about 15 minutes.
- Then, strain out those leaves and let the water to reduce its temperature.
- Add the prepared water to your bathtub having cool water, then soak in there for no less than 20 minutes. Or, you could add peppermint oil to your cool bath water in order to get the same effects.
- Take a teaspoon of either fresh or dried peppermint leaves to add in one cup of hot water
- After straining, add some raw honey into. Let the mixture cool in the fridge and take it several times per day.
Not mentioning to alleviating body heat symptoms, this method also helps in relieving headache and nausea.
Buttermilk is a helpful treatment for body heat. It is also good for women suffering from hot flashes and men having a high metabolism. Furthermore, being a probiotic, buttermilk can provide the human body with required vitamins and minerals which are lost during workouts or excessive sweating. According to a study published in Industrial Health in 2018, buttermilk has an effect on balancing hormonal stress and reduces the heat strain in nourished subjects. What you need to do is:
- Every morning, drink a glass of buttermilk with your daily breakfast to keep your body cool during the day.
- Or, you could mix a ½ cup of thick yogurt, some water plus with a little bit of salt. Then, enjoy this buttermilk twice per day.
Radishes are sometimes sadly underrated. In reality, with the beautiful reddish-purple outer skin and white, tasty, and crispy interior, radish does not get enough credit. Thanks to high water content and a good source of vitamin C associated with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, radish is highly effective in treating heat stress.
Owing to a rich source of potassium, radish has the ability to regulate blood flow and blood pressure and lower the risk of strokes and kidney stones. Also, the minerals like sulfur, iodine, and iron found in radish make it a great choice for those people having heat exhaustion.
What you need to do is to thinly slice and toss radish into leafy green or cold pasta salads. Have it and see how your body temperature is reduced naturally.
There is no evidence for the below information and homemade recipes. So, they have not yet been confirmed or reviewed by any expert. These additional home remedies are collected from some highly appreciated sources. Give them a try.
Having cooling and soothing properties, sandalwood can naturally decrease body heat without causing side effects. Take the steps below:
- Add 2 teaspoons of sandalwood powder into a little bit of cold milk or cool water to get a good paste
- Then add several drops of rose water before applying the paste over your chest and forehead.
- Let it dry naturally before washing it off with tepid water.
- Apply a little sandalwood oil on the forehead then leave it there for a couple of hours. Or, if you haven’t ever used sandalwood oil before, you can mix several drops of coconut oil with it, and apply over your skin to avoid skin irritation.
- Sprinkle the sandalwood powder over your armpits, back and chest after having a bath to help maintain cool body temperature.
9. Milk And Honey
Those people who are looking for ideal food and drinks that can control body heat can consider a combination of honey and cold milk. There is a special way to prepare this treatment. What you have to do is:
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey in the cold milk
- Drink it a few times per day for effective and fast results.
10. Oil Bath With Ginger Oil
This seems irrelevant when it comes to home remedies to reduce body heat, but it does work. Taking the oil bath is reckoned one of the best methods for body heat reduction. Just simply take the required amount of oil, particularly ginger oil, preheat and apply it over your whole body from head to toe. Wait for 1 hour to allow your body to absorb the oil effectively. After that, take a bath with the mildly warm water.
Most of the ingredients used are part of your weekly shopping to grocery stores. By applying any of these home remedies, you might keep yourself and your family safe from heat stress. However, if your body heat condition is severe and you used some of these methods for a long time without effectiveness, it is better to take consultation from a doctor. Take care and stay safe!
If you have any comments about this topic of home remedies to reduce body heat, do not hesitate to drop your words in the box below. We will feedback as soon as possible.