Strep throat (also called Streptococcal pharyngitis) is a disease triggered by group A Streptococcus. Thus bacteria make victim frustrated because it disturbs tonsils, throat, and tongue. This disease may be seen at all ages. However, the number of children from 5 to 15 years old having this disease is higher than other age groups. We know the sentences above are not what you hope when reading this article. But you will treat strep throat better if you know some general things below about strep throat.
What Are Symptoms Of Strep Throat?
If you can feel these signs and symptoms below, it means that you have strep throat:
- Feel painful in throat and tonsils
- Sudden fever
- White patches appear in the throat
- Feel difficult to swallow
- Have trouble in appetite
- Lymph node in neck is swollen
What Are Causes Of Strep Throat?
Some reasons below may make you have strep throat:
Gastroesophageal reflux disease
Gastroesophageal reflux disease which is also called GERD happens when some kinds of fluids such as hydrochloric acid, pepsin, fluids from bile, etc. reflux to esophagus trigger throat inflammation.
When you have sinus infection, these reasons below affect your throat:
- You cannot breathe by the nose as usual. Thus, you have to breathe by mouth. It makes your throat easy to be infected.
- Mucus from nose flows directly to the throat.
Eating too cold or too hot food and drinks
When you use too cold or too hot food or drinks, your body has to balance temperature. Then it will affect your throat.
Breathing something poison
Working in a polluted environment harms your throat. You can breathe some poisoning combinations near a polluted environment such as carbon dioxide, nitrogen dioxide, and so on. In your house, maybe you have a sore throat due to fur, dust, cigarette fume, pollen, perfume, etc.
When weather changes abnormally or in winter, virus, and bacteria may attack people easily. Thus, people are prone to having a sore throat in this period.
When Does A Strep Throat Patient Need To See Doctors?
A strep throat victim had better go to see a doctor when meeting these following symptoms:
- Rash or lump raise under the skin
- Arms and legs move uncontrollably
- Swollen tonsils or adenoids
- Feel painful at any part of the body
- Breathe shortly
All of these things above are some information about strep throat. Now it is time to find home remedies for strep throat pain and infection.
For further natural remedies about other diseases, feel free to visit our Home Remedies page here.
Top 54 Effective Home Remedies For Strep Throat Pain And Infection
1. Keep Mouth And Nose From Drying Out By Using Humidifier
Bacteria may attack your throat when the weather is cold and dry. So, in order to avoid being attacked by bacteria, the place where a strep throat victim stays has to be moist. The humidifier may respond to this requirement. But make sure that you do not make strep throat patient suffer from cold or damp because of the wrong way of using a humidifier. You also can use a steamer or a pan with warm water instead of using a humidifier to dehydrate the place where a strep throat patient stays.
2. Use Antibiotics
Antibiotics may eliminate the group A streptococcus – the reason for strep throat. These strep throat symptoms below will lose when taking antibiotics:
- Soothe sore throat and other symptoms triggered by strep throat
- Risk of spreading group A streptococcus bacteria to the other parts of the body reduces
- Avoid spreading strep throat to other people
- Complications of strep throat such as sinus, tonsils infection and rheumatic fever may be prevented
Strep throat just may be eliminated if the patient uses antibiotics with these dosages below:
- Penicillin V:
For children: Use 500-750 mg of penicillin V each day, divided into 2 or 3 times each day. Take this for ten days.
For adults: use twice per day, each time 500 mg or 4 times daily, each time take 250mg. Repeat this dose for ten days
- Benzathine penicillin G (intramuscular):
Benzathine penicillin G is uses for patients who do not finish a course of oral antibiotics. The doses below may kick strep throat:
Use one dose of 600 000u for a person has weight less than 27 kg
Use one dose of 200 000u for a person who is equal or greater than 27kg
According to some studies, give more often penicillin V is not as good as give amoxicillin once a day. To treat strep throat with amoxicillin, the patient should use with the dose below:
Children take 1000 mg once per day or 500 mg twice a day, repeat for ten days
Adults take 500 mg three times per day, use it for ten days
- Amoxicillin/ Clavulanate Potassium (Augmentin):
This medicine can treat strep throat by eliminating recurrent streptococcal pharyngitis and chronic pharyngeal carriage. You can follow the doses instructed below:
Children should take 40 mg/ kg, from 2-3 doses each day. Repeat this dosage for ten days. Do not let children use more than 200mg per day
Adults should take Augmentin for ten days. Use 500-875 mg each day, twice a day.
This medicine is appropriate for patients who are allergic to penicillin, do not want to take a regimen which lasts ten days, and symptoms of strep throat do not disappear after using Penicillin. The appropriate doses of Azithromycin for strep throat are shown below:
Adults get 500 mg, once for the first day. And the next four days, the appropriate dose for strep throat is 250 mg, once a day.
Children may treat strep throat by Azithromycin in two ways:
12 mg/kg once per day, repeat this dose for five days;
20 mg/kg, once per day for three days
This medicine is an alternative of remedies to treat strep throat pain and infection for patients who are not satisfied after using Penicillin. The doses below appropriate for strep throat pain and infection:
Adults take 250 mg every 12 hours. Repeat this dose for ten days
Children take 7.5 mg/kg/ dose, use twice per day for ten days. Make sure that children do not use more than 250 mg per dose.
The appropriate home remedy for strep throat by using Clindamycin is shown below:
Children use 7 mg/kg for each dose, use three doses per day for ten days. Do not let children use exceed 300 mg each dose.
Adults take Clindamycin for ten days, each day use 300mg, 3 times per day.
According to some clinical researches, a 10-day regimen of Cephalosporin can abolish group A beta-hemolytic streptococcus better than a 10-day regimen of penicillin. There are many spectrums of Cephalosporin, Cephalexin is more preferable than Cefaclor, Cefuroxime, Cefixime, Cefpodoxime. The appropriate dosage for strep throat pain and infection is shown below:
Children take 20 mg/kg/dose, take 2 times per day, repeat this dose for ten days. Make sure that children don’t use more than 500 g each dose
Adults take 500 mg twice per day, repeat this dose for ten days
This medicine is a very easy-to-use medicine because of its good taste and low incidence of gastrointestinal side effects. Strep throat pain, rash, and infection will be eradicated when patients use Cefadroxil with the dose below:
Children use 30 mg/kg once per day, repeat this dose for ten days. Do not let children use more than 1g of Cefadroxil each day
Adults use 1g for the only one dose each day for ten days or divided 1g into ten equal doses each day for ten days.
- Cefuroxime axetil:
Cefuroxime axetil may eradicate the infection of streptococcal and prevent post-streptococcal sequelae. Thus, it is considered as an effective home remedy for strep throat pain, and infection. Strep throat pain and infection just may be abolished with the dose below:
Adults and adolescents use 250 mg of Cefuroxime Axetil twice a day for ten days.
Elderberry is considered as one of the effective home remedies for strep throat pain and infection due to its antibacterial and antiviral effects. To eradicate strep throat pain, rash and infection definitely, patients can use elderberry by these methods below:
Method 1: Elderberry tea
- 16 oz of filtered water ;
- Two tablespoons of dried elderberries ;
- 1/4 tablespoons of cinnamon powder ;
- 1/4 tablespoons of turmeric powder ;
- One teaspoon of raw honey (depends on your taste)
- Put water, elderberries, turmeric and cinnamon powder to a small saucepan
- Boil them, then lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes
- Take the mixture away from the heat and wait for 5 minutes until it is cool
- Add raw honey if you want and stir well
- Enjoy the elderberry tea
Method 2: Elderberry spray
- Use five full sprays, four times per day for adult
- Use two full sprays, four times per day for children from 6-12 years old
- Do not use elderberry spray for under-6-year-old children
- Using antibiotics according to doctor’s instruction, otherwise, it will trigger reverse action.
- If you are in pregnancy, breastfeeding or having a pregnant-getting plan, use the kinds of antibiotics that are indicated by the doctors
- According to some doctors, these antibiotics should be used with some other supplementary medicines
4. Over- The-Counter Pain Medications
Over-the-counter pain medications are the easy-to-do home remedies for strep throat. It may ease the pain, release fever due to strep throat. Strep throat patients can be prescribed ibuprofen (Advil) and acetaminophen (Tylenol). The appropriate dosage of OTC pain medication for strep throat pain and infection is shown below
- Adults use four doses per day, 800 mg/dose. Just use enough amounts until the pain relief
- Children use ibuprofen (Advil) based on weight and age, instructor of doctors.
- Keep the medicine stay away from sunlight and moisture
- Take this medicine with milk or food in order not to make your stomach frustrate
- Patients must chew the chewable tablets before swallowing them.
- Shake the liquid well before using
This medicine is also called Acetaminophen. Take it as the instructions inside the box or according to the doctor’s consultant.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is not only spicy but also one of the excellent home remedies for strep throat. It is an inexpensive herbal thanks to its antiseptic property. To make apple cider vinegar become an effective solution for strep throat pain and infection introduced here, patients should use raw and organic apple cider vinegar with these methods below:
Method 1: Gargle
Use the mixture of a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and four tablespoons of warm water to rinse. After that, slit the solution out.
Method 2: Apple cider vinegar tea
By this method, all you need to do is mix these ingredients below and drink:
- Two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- Two tablespoons of raw honey
- 6 oz of water
Patients can add a little bit of powdered garlic in order to kill pain triggered by strep throat.
6. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper contains vitamin A, vitamin C, and has antiseptic properties, which boosts immune system well. Thus, when it comes to home remedies for strep throat pain and infection, it is considered as an excellent solution. To treat strep throat pain and infection effectively by cayenne pepper, you should do these methods below:
Method 1: Gargle with cayenne pepper
This is a very easy way to treat strep throat. These steps can help you make a solution to gargle:
- Mix 1/4 cup of warm water with 1/4 cup of cayenne pepper
- Gargle as long as you can and spit the mixture out
- Use lip balm to make sure that you don’t burn your lips
Method 2: Throat spray
Use the combination of 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper and a cup of water, pour into a bottle spray, then spray throat with the dose below:
- Spray throat every hour on the first day
- On the second day, spray four times a day or more often if it is needed
- Spray throat frequently from the third day and after until the throat is completely healed
Method 3: Use cayenne on a cotton swab
- Wet the cotton swab and dip it in cayenne pepper. You also can dip the cotton swap to honey before dipping it to cayenne pepper
- Swab your throat four times per day
- Mix four tablespoons of cayenne pepper, a teaspoon of cayenne pepper and together
- Eat 1/2 teaspoonful of this mixture every 30 minutes
- After one day, you will feel better because of immune system boosting and antiseptic property, ability to heal the sound of honey and cayenne pepper
- Swallow 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- After 5 minutes, drink a small cup of milk
7. Herbal Tea
Using herbal tea is one of the effective ways to treat strep throat. Just with some easy-to-find ingredients, you can make a herbal tea cup to solve your problem.
- Prepare a cup of herbal tea, one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, one tablespoon of honey and 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Brew tea, then mix all the remaining ingredients to brewed tea together
- Gargle with this mixture, let the mixture come to the back of the throat as far as you can and gargle as long as you can stand
- Spit the solution out
- Do it every 15-30 minutes for several hours
- Brew herbal tea
- Sip warm with it
8. Throat Lozenges
Throat lozenges may ease the pain triggered by strep throat. If children have strep throat, you have to make sure that they are old enough in order not to choke on the lozenges. You can find throat lozenges in many pharmacies and use the dose that is printed in the instruction label.
9. Basil Leaves
Basil leaves have antibacterial and antimicrobial herb properties. Thus, it is considered as a wonderful medicine for strep throat. To use basil leaves as one of the effective remedies, patients should chew basil leaves twice a day to experience the effectiveness of this home treatment for strep throat. After a few days chewing basil leaves, strep throat will say goodbye to you.
10. Throat Spray
This home remedies may be an effective way to relieve strep throat pain in the short term. Patients can find many kinds of strep throat spray in the drug stores.
11. Gargle Salt Water
Salt may eliminate bacteria and germs. Thanks to these properties, salt is considered as an effective home remedy for strep throat. To treat strep throat effectively by salt water, patients should gargle with salt water according to 2 methods below:
Method 1: Just gargling with salt water
All strep throat patients need to do when treating this nuisance disease is:
- Mix one teaspoon of salt with 8 oz of warm water
- Gargle this mixture in 1-2 minutes, then spit it out
- Gargle as many times as you can
Method 2: Salt water with baking soda
By this method, strep throat patients should do these following steps:
- Mix a glass of warm water, two teaspoons of salt and a teaspoon of baking soda well
- Gargle this solution then spit out
- Gargle as many times as you can
12. Gargle Baking Soda
By this method, all you need to do is gargle the mixture of ½ teaspoons of baking soda and a glass of warm water and then spit it out as many times as possible. This remedy may help symptoms of strep throat run quickly.
Method 1: Chewing cinnamon stick
All you need to in this method is chewing a cinnamon stick and let the juice heal strep throat.
Method 2: Cinnamon and honey
Drink the mixture of one teaspoon of cinnamon powder and two tablespoons of honey every 1 hour. It will make strep throat pain and infection disappears faster.
- Boil some cinnamon sticks in 1 ½ cups of water until they are lukewarm
- Add a teaspoon of honey and drink
Method 3: Cinnamon tea
By this method, the steps you need to do are:
Prepare these ingredients:
- A cinnamon stick or a teaspoon of cinnamon powder;
- Boiling water
Some optional ingredients: tea bag or loose tea, milk, a slice of orange or lemon
How to do:
- Break cinnamon sticks and add to boiling water. If you use cinnamon powder, add to boiling water
- Let them steep from 8-10 minutes
- If you add a tea bag or loose tea, let them steep for two more minutes
- Add milk, lemon, and orange if you want
- Enjoy your tea.
14. Rest More Than Normal
This is a very easy home remedy for strep throat pain and infection. Take some more rest will make infection of strep throat lower. This home remedy is not necessary if you feel fine.
15. Drink More Fluids
Drink plenty of fluids is also an easy-to-do home remedy for strep throat pain and infection. More fluids strep patients drink, more dehydration and frustration because of strep throat pain decreases.
16. Vitamin C
Vitamin C may boost the immune system and repair tissue damage, thus it may relieve strep throat pain and infection described in this article. Strep throat patients can supplement vitamin C by these ways below:
- Eating citrus, guava, mango, rosehips, Indian gooseberry, pepper
- Take 1000mg of vitamin C 3 times daily
17. Colloidal Silver
This herb has an antibiotic property and no side effect. However, it should be used occasionally rather than every day. Consult doctor’s opinion before using it as a home remedy for strep throat.
This is not only a spicy but also an excellent medicine. The reason is turmeric has anti-inflammatory feature. To use turmeric for strep throat pain and infection, patients should do these methods below:
Method 1: Gargle with turmeric
Way 1: Add 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric to ½ teaspoon of salt and a glass of warm water, then gargle this solution. You can add a little bit of garlic to this mixture. Gargle with this solution twice each day.
Way 2: Mix turmeric with warm water and gargle this solution.
All you need to do is add turmeric to foods such as soups, curries, and cooked vegetables.
Method 3: Turmeric milk
- Peel turmeric and grind them
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric to a cup of hot milk
- Drink it to heal strep throat
Onion has antiseptic and antibacterial properties which help you get rid of strep throat. There are two methods you can apply to treat strep throat by using onions:
Method 1: Grind onions and chew them
Method 2: Mix onion juice with water
This method is appropriate for strep throat patients who cannot stand spicy of onions when chewing. All you need to do by this method is shown below:
- Mince and squeeze onions to take its juice
- Mix onions juice with water and gargle this solution
Method 1: Chewing raw garlic
All you need to do is peel 1-2 cloves of garlic and chew them in order to kill bacteria in the throat
Method 2: Drink garlic tea
Garlic tea is an appropriate alternative for people who cannot stand hot of raw garlic. All you need to do is shown below:
- Crush garlic to take its juice
- Mix this juice well with warm water and drink it
Method 3: Gargle with garlic solution
- Crush a clove of garlic
- Add them to a glass of lukewarm salt water and gargle as long as you can.
21. Wheatgrass Juice
Wheatgrass juice may relieve sore throat pain and infection. To make wheat grass become an effective ingredient for strep throat pain and infection, you should do the following steps:
- Squeeze to extract wheatgrass juice
- Mix the wheatgrass juice with warm water well
- Gargle this solution
22. Vitamin D
Chamomile has anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, and astringent properties. Thus, it can be considered as an effective home remedy for strep throat. Besides, it also helps avoid dehydration. To treat strep throat effectively, you should do these following steps:
Preparation (ingredients for one cup of tea):
- 8 oz of water;
- Two tablespoons of dried chamomile flowers
- Four tablespoons of fresh chamomile flowers
- Boil water, then take the water away from the heat when it boils rapidly
- Put a sieve on the top of a cup
- Pour the tea into the cup through the sieve
- Drink chamomile tea to experience their function with strep throat symptoms.
24. Licorice Root
Licorice root has antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties. Thus, it may treat strep throat pain and infection effectively. To make licorice work well for strep throat, you should do the following steps:
Prepare these ingredients:
- One cup of dry licorice root
- ½ cup of cinnamon chip
- ½ cup of dried chamomile flowers
- Two tablespoons of clove powder
- 2 ½ cup of water
Make the mixture between the ingredients above:
- Mix dry licorice root, cinnamon chip, chamomile flowers, and clove powder well. This mixture can be preserved a few days.
- Boil water, then add three tablespoons of the mixture above to boiled water to make tea
- Boil the mixture for 15 minutes on low heat
- Take the tea away from the heat, then pour through a sieve to take tea and remove plants
- Drink tea when it warms twice per day to remove throat inflammation
Honey is a tasty and healthy remedy for many diseases. Strep throat is one of the diseases that may be eliminated by honey. Raw honey may boost immunity because of its antioxidants. To make honey work for strep throat, you should do the things below:
Method 1: Honey, garlic and cayenne pepper
Mix all these ingredients below well:
- Four cloves of garlic
- 1-4 tablespoons of raw honey
- 1/8-1/2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper
- Get ½ teaspoons of this mixture every 30 minutes or as much as you want every day.
Method 2: Honey and lemon
Lemon may boost immune system thanks to vitamin C in it. Honey may heal the wound. Therefore, the mixture of honey and lemon is an effective home remedy for strep throat pain, rash, infection. You need to do the following steps to utilize all function of honey and lemon in treating strep throat:
- Squeeze a lemon to take its juice
- Mix a tablespoon of honey with lemon juice well
- Drink three times per day until all symptoms of strep throat disappear
Method 3: Just using raw honey
All you need to do is eat one tablespoon of honey immediately after waking up in the morning and before going to bed daily.
Alternatively, you can gargle the solution of a teaspoon of honey with a little bit of warm water to heal your throat.
Method 4: Honey and walnut
Walnut may remove the ticklish feeling in the throat. Honey may soothe the throat. So, the mixture of honey and walnut is an effective home remedy for strep throat pain and infection. To treat strep throat by honey and walnut, you should do these steps below:
- Strew out the walnut husk and honey
- Leave it for some minutes
- Pour through a strainer to take its solution and use it
26. Sunflower Oil
Sage may decrease the speed of infection and protects the respiratory system. To kick strep throat by using sage, you can choose one of two methods below:
Method 1: Gargle with sage
Make the mixture of warm water and sage leaves, then gargle this solution from 3-4 times per day until all strep throat symptoms disappear.
Method 2: Sage, lemon and salt
- Squeeze half of a lemon to extract its juice
- Mix this juice with one teaspoon of salt and one cup of sage tea
- Stir well and gargle this solution at least three times each day
Lemon contains vitamin C, which is good for boosting the immune system. Thus, it is considered as an effective home remedy for strep throat pain and infection. The following steps can help you eliminate strep throat:
Method 1: Drinking lemonade
- Squeeze half of a lemon to take its juice
- Mix lemon juice with a glass of fresh water
- Add a little bit of sugar to the glass containing lemon juice and water
- Drink lemonade twice a day, once before going to bed. Make sure that you don’t eat or drink anything for at least 20 minutes after drinking lemonade to obtain the best result.
Method 2: Eat lemon
- Peel lemon like the way you peel an orange
- Slice peeled the lemon and eat 2-3 slices among them
- You can add a little bit of sugar to lemon slices and eat them
Echinacea may kill bacteria and its effects. So, you can use it as one of the effective home remedies for strep throat pain and infection. All you need to do to utilize the function of Echinacea for strep throat is squirt tincture of Echinacea directly to the throat while you have strep throat. Try to squirt 1 hour until strep throat symptoms disappear.
Thyme is rich in antimicrobial property, which helps relieve strep throat. There are two methods to use thyme as an effective remedy for strep throat pain and infection:
- Mix thyme, lemon and olive oil together
- Apply this mixture to the external of the throat and massages gently
You should inhale the fumes from a dispenser in order to relieve strep throat pain.
Amla, also called Indian gooseberry, is a very good herb for the whole body. It may strengthen the immune system, heal the wound thanks to the great amount of vitamin C in it. To relieve strep throat pain and infection, you should do the following steps:
- Grate an amla
- Soak in a cup of hot water for 5 minutes
- Drink this solution but don’t pour through any sieve.
Fenugreek is famous for its medical purpose thanks to containing antidiabetic, antifertility, anticancer, antimicrobial, antiparasitic properties. By this method, all patients need to do is shown below:
- Add some fenugreek seeds to a cup of water
- Simmer this mixture for at least 1 hour
- Let it cool and use it to gargle
33. Peppermint Oil
This essential oil is used commonly for health purposes, including treating strep throat. Because of having menthol, peppermint oil helps bring a cooling sensation and relieve the swelling, thus reducing the symptoms of strep throat.
You can add 1-2 drops of peppermint oil to your toothpaste before brushing your teeth to get rid of strep throat.
In short, we hope that this article gives you interesting and useful information about strep throat. You should try to do some of them to experience.
However, all content provided is for informational & educational purposes. We recommend you consult a healthcare professional to determine which method is appropriate for you and to avoid the side effects when applying these methods. In addition, asking for healthcare professional’s advice may help you know that you have to take medicine or not, especially for children, pregnant and breastfeeding women.
If you have any contribution to the article of “Top 54 home remedies for strep throat pain and infection”, please feel free to give comments or feedback below this post. We will answer as soon as we can.