Strep throat is a disease triggered by group A Streptoccoccal. Thus bacteria make victim frustrated because it disturbs tonsils, throat and tongue. This disease can be seen at all ages. However, the number of children from 5 to 15 years old having this disease is higher than other age groups. I know the sentences above are not what you hope when reading this article. But you will cure strep throat better if you know some general things below about strep throat.
What Are Symptoms Of Strep Throat?
If you can feel these signs and symptoms below, it means that you have strep throat:
- Feel painful in throat and tonsils
- Sudden fever
- White patches appear in throat
- Feel difficult to swallow
- Have trouble in appetite
- Lymph node in neck is swollen
What Are Causes Of Strep Throat?
Some reasons below can make you have strep throat:
Gastro esophageal reflux disease
Some kinds of fluids such as hydrochloric acid, pepsin, fluids from bile… reflux to esophagus trigger throat inflammation.
When you have sinus, these reasons below affect your throat:
- You can’t breathe by nose as normal. Thus, you have to breathe by mouth. It makes your throat easy to be infected.
- Mucus from nose flows directly to throat.
Eating too cold or too hot food and drinks
When you use too cold or too hot food or drinks, your body has to balance temperature. Then it will affect your throat.
Breathing something poison
Working in a polluted environment harms your throat. You can breathe some poisoning combinations near a polluted environment such as carbon dioxide, nitrogen dioxide and so on. In your house, maybe you have sore throat due to fur, cigarette fume, pollen, perfume, etc.
When weather changes abnormally or in winter, virus and bacteria can attack people easily. Thus, people are prone to having sore throat in this period.
When A Strep Throat Patient Needs To See Doctors?
A strep throat victim had better go to see doctor when meeting these following symptoms:
- Rash or lump raise under the skin
- Arms and legs move uncontrollably
- Tonsils or adenoids are swollen
- Feel painful at many part of the body
- Breathe shortly
All of these things above are some information about strep throat. Now it’s time to find home remedies for strep throat pain and infection. Take a look at TrueRemedies.com!
Top 58 Effective Home Remedies For Strep Throat Pain And Infection
1. Keep Mouth And Nose From Drying Out By Using Humidifier
Bacteria can attack your throat when the weather is cold and dry. So, in order to avoid being attacked by bacteria, the place where a strep throat victim stays has to be moist. Humidifier can response this requirement. But make sure that you don’t make strep throat patient suffer from cold or damp because of wrong way of using humidifier. You also can use a steamer or a pan with warm water instead of using humidifier to dehydrate the place where a strep throat patient stays.
2. Home Remedies For Strep Throat – Use Antibiotics
Antibiotics have ability to eliminate the group A streptococcus – the reason of strep throat . Thus, it can be one of the effective strep throat treatment way. These strep throat symptoms below will lose when taking antibiotics:
- Soothe sore throat and other symptoms triggered by strep throat
- Risk of spreading group A streptococcus bacteria to the other parts of the body reduces
- Avoid spreading strep throat to other people
- Complications of strep throat such as sinus, tonsils infection and rheumatic fever can be prevented
Strep throat just can be eliminated if patient uses antibiotics with these dosages below:
- Penicillin V:
For children: Use 500-750mg of penicillin V each day, divided into 2 or 3 times each day. Take this for 10 days.
For adults: use twice per day, each time 500mg or 4 times daily, each time take 250mg. Repeat this dose for 10 days
- Benzathine penicillin G (intramuscular):
This is a kind of intramuscular medicine use for patients who don’t finish a course of oral antibiotics. The doses below can kick strep throat:
Use 1 dose of 600 000u for person has weight less than 27kg
Use 1 dose of 200 000U for person who is equal or greater than 27kg
According to some studies, give more often penicillin V is not as good as give amoxicillin once a day. To cure strep throat with amoxicillin, patient should use with the dose below:
Children take 1000mg once per day or 500mg twice a day, repeat for 10 days
Adults take 500mg three times per day, use it for 10 days
- Amoxicillin/ Clavunate Potassium (Augmentin)
This medicine can treat strep throat by eliminating recurrent streptoccocal pharyngitis and chronic pharyngineal carriage. This is an effective option among home remedies for strep throat, but with just the doses instructed below:
Children should take 40mg/ kg, from 2-3 doses each day. Repeat this dosage for 10 days. Don’t let children use more than 200mg per day
Adults should take Augmentin for 10 days. Use 500-875mg each day, twice a day.
This medicine is appropriate for patients, who are allergic with penicillin, don’t want to take a regimen which lasts 10 days and symptoms of strep throat don’t disappear after using Penicillin. The appropriate doses of Azithromycin for strep throat are shown below:
Adults get 500mg, once for the first day. And the next 4 days, the appropriate dose for strep throat is 250mg, once a day.
Children can treat strep throat by Azithrmycin by 2 ways:
12mg/kg once per day, repeat this dose for 5 days;
20mg/kg, once per day for 3 days
This medicine is an alternative of home remedies for strep throat pain and infection for patients who are not satisfied after using Penicillin. The doses below are appropriates for strep throat pain and infection:
Adults take 250mg each 12 hours. Repeat this dose for 10 days
Children take 7.5mg/kg/ dose, use twice per day for 10 days. Make sure that children don’t use more than 250mg per dose.
Also being an alternative treatment among home remedies for strep throat pain and infection mentioned here, the appropriate home remedy for strep throat by using Clindamycin is shown below:
Children use 7mg/kg for each dose, use 3 doses per day for 10 days. Don’t let children use exceed 300mg each dose.
Adults take Clindamycin for 10 days, each day use 300mg, 3 times per day.
According to some clinical researches, a 10-day regimen of Cephalosporin can abolish group A beta-hemolytic streptococcus better than a 10-day regimen of penicillin. There are many spectrums of Cephalosporin, Cephadroxil or Cephalexin is more preferable than Cefaclor, Cefuroxime, Cefixime, Cefpodoxime. The appropriate dosage for strep throat pain and infection is shown below:
- Cephalexin :
Children take 20mg/kg/dose, take 2 times per day, repeat this dose for 10 days. Make sure that children don’t use more than 500g each dose
Adults take 500mg twice per day, repeat this dose for 10 days
- Cefadroxil :
This medicine is a very easy-to-use medicine because of its good taste and low incidence of gastrointestinal side effects. Strep throat pain, rash and infection will be definitely eradicated when patients use Cefadroxil with the dose below:
Children use 30mg/kg once per day, repeat this dose for 10 days. Don’t let children use more than 1g of Cefadroxil each day
Adults use 1g for the only one dose each day for 10 days or divided 1g into 2 equal doses each day for 10 days.
- Cefuroxime axetil :
Cefuroxime axetil has ability to eradicate the infection of streptococcal and prevent post-streptococcal sequelae. Thus, it is considered as an effective home remedies for strep throat pain and infection. Strep throat pain and infection just can be abolished completely with the dose below:
Adults and adolescents use 250mg of Cefuroxime Axetin twice a day for 10 days.
Elderberry is considered as one of the effective home remedies for strep throat pain and infection due to its antibacterial and antiviral effects. To eradicate strep throat pain, rash and infection definitely, patients can use elderberry by these methods below:
Method 1: Elderberry tea
- 16oz of filtered water ;
- 2 tablespoons of dried elderberries ;
- 1/4 tablespoons of cinnamon powder ;
- 1/4 tablespoons of turmeric powder ;
- 1 teaspoon of raw honey (depends on your taste)
- Put water, elderberries, turmeric and cinnamon powder to a small saucepan
- Boil them, then lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes
- Take the mixture away from the heat and wait for 5 minutes until it is cool
- Add raw honey if you want and stir well
- Enjoy the elderberry tea
Method 2: Elderberry spray
- Use 5 full sprays, 4 times per day for adult
- Use 2 full sprays, 4 times per day for children from 6- 12 years old
- Do not use elderberry spray for under – 6 -year – old children
- Using antibiotics according to doctor’s instruction, otherwise it will trigger reverse action.
- If you are in pregnant, breastfeeding or having a pregnant-getting plan, just use the kinds of antibiotics that are indicated by doctor
- According to some doctors, these antibiotics should be used with some other supplementary medicines
4. Over- The-Counter Pain Medications
This home remedy for strep throat pain and infection can be used while patients are waiting for antibiotics prescription. It can ease the pain, release fever due to strep throat. Strep throat patients can be prescribed ibuprofen (Advil) and acetaminophen (Tylenol). The appropriate dosage of OTC pain medication for strep throat pain and infection is showed below:
- Adults use 4 doses per day, 800mg/dose. Just use enough amounts until the pain relief;
- Children use ibuprofen (Advil) based on weight and age, instructor of doctors.
- Keep the medicine stay away from sunlight and moisture
- Take this medicine with milk or food in order not to make your stomach frustrate
- Patients must chew the chewable tablets before swallowing them.
- Shake the liquid well before using
This medicine is also called Acetaminophen. Take it like the instructions inside the box or according to doctor’s consultant.
5. Home Remedies For Strep Throat – Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is not only a spicy but also a wonderful medicine. It is an inexpensive herbal thanks to its antiseptic property . To make apple cider vinegar become an effective solution among home remedies for strep throat pain and infection introduced here, patients should use raw and organic apple cider vinegar with these methods below:
Method 1: Gargle
Use the mixture of a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and 4 tablespoons of warm water to gargle. After that, slit the solution out.
Method 2: Apple cider vinegar tea
By this method, all you need to do is mix these ingredients below and drink:
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of raw honey
- 6 oz of water
Patients can add a little bit of powdered garlic in order to kill pain triggered by strep throat.
6. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper contains vitamin A, vitamin C, and has antiseptic property, which boost immune system well. Thus, when it comes to home remedies for strep throat pain and infection, it is considered as a wonderful solution. To treat strep throat pain and infection effectively by cayenne pepper, you should do these methods below:
Method 1: Gargle with cayenne pepper
This is a very easy way to cure strep throat. These steps can help you make a solution to gargle:
- Mix 1/4 cup of warm water with 1/4 cup of cayenne pepper
- Gargle as long as you can and spit the mixture out
- Use lip balm to make sure that you don’t burn your lips
Method 2: Throat spray
Use the mixture of 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper and a cup of water, pour into a bottle spray, then spray throat with the dose below:
- Spray throat every hour at the first day
- On the second day, spray 4 times a day or more often if it is needed
- Spray throat frequently from the third day and after until the throat is completely healed
Method 3: Use cayenne on cotton swab
- Wet the cotton swab and dip it in cayenne pepper. You also can dip the cotton swap to honey before dipping it to cayenne pepper
- Swab your throat 4 times per day
- Mix 4 tablespoons of cayenne pepper, a teaspoon of cayenne pepper and together
- Eat 1/2 teaspoonful of this mixture every 30 minutes
- After 1 day, you will feel significantly improvement because of immune system boosting and antiseptic property, ability to heal the sound of honey and cayenne pepper
- Swallow 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- After 5 minutes, drink a small cup of milk
7. Herbal Tea
- Prepare a cup of herbal tea, 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon of honey and 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Brew tea, then mix all the remaining ingredients to brewed tea together
- Gargle with this mixture, let the mixture come to the back of throat as far as you can and gargle as long as you can stand
- Spit the solution out
- Do it every 15-30 minutes for several hours
- Brew herbal tea
- Sip warm with it
8. Throat Lozenges
Throat lozenges have ability to ease the pain triggered by strep throat. If children have strep throat, you have to make sure that they are old enough in order not to choke on the lozenges. You can find throat lozenges in many pharmacies and just use the dose that is printed in the instruction label.
9. Basil Leaves
Basil leaves have anti-bacterial and anti-microbial herb properties. Thus, it is considered as a wonderful medicine for strep throat. To use basil leaves as one of effective home remedies for strep throat pain and infection, patients should Patients should chew basil leaves twice a day to experience effectiveness of this home treatment for strep throat. After a few days chewing basil leaves, strep throat will say goodbye to you.
10. Home Remedies For Strep Throat – Throat Spray
This home remedies can be an effective way to relief strep throat pain in short term. Patients can find many kinds of strep throat spray in drug store.
11. Gargle Salt Water
Salt has ability to eliminate bacteria and germs. Thanks to these properties, salt is considered as an effective home remedy for strep throat. To treat strep throat effectively by salt water, patients should gargle with salt water according to 2 methods below:
Method 1: Just gargling with salt water
All strep throat patients need to do when treating this nuisance disease is:
- Mix 1 teaspoon of salt with 8oz of warm water
- Gargle this mixture in 1-2 minutes, then spit it out
- Gargle as many times as you can.
Method 2: Salt water with baking soda
By this method, strep throat patients should do these following steps:
- Mix a glass of warm water, 2 teaspoons of salt and a teaspoon of baking soda well
- Gargle this solution then spit out
- Gargle as many times as you can
12. Gargle Baking Soda
By this method, all you need to do is gargle the mixture of ½ teaspoons of baking soda and a glass of warm water and then spit it out as many times as possible. This remedy can help symptoms of strep throat run quickly.
Cinnamon is a wonderful herb thanks to its antibacterial properties. To make cinnamon become one of the effective home remedies for strep throat, you should do these following methods:
Method 1: Chewing cinnamon stick
All you need to in this method is chewing cinnamon stick and let the juice heal strep throat.
Method 2: Cinnamon and honey
Drink the mixture of 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder and 2 tablespoons of honey every 1 hour. It will make strep throat pain and infection disappears faster.
- Boil some cinnamon sticks in 1 ½ cups of water until they are lukewarm
- Add a teaspoon of honey and drink
Method 3: Cinnamon tea
By this method, the steps you need to do are:
Prepare these ingredients:
- A cinnamon stick or a teaspoon of cinnamon powder;
- Boiling water
Some optional ingredients: tea bag or loose tea, milk, a slice of orange or lemon
How to do:
- Break cinnamon sticks and add to boiling water. If you use cinnamon powder, just add to boiling water
- Let them steep from 8-10 minutes
- If you add tea bag or loose tea, let them steep for 2 more minutes
- Add milk, lemon, and orange if you want
- Enjoy your tea.
14. Rest More Than Normal
This is a very easy home remedy for strep throat pain and infection. Take some more rest will make infection of strep throat lower. This home remedy is not necessary if you feel fine.
15. Home Remedies For Strep Throat – Drink More Fluids
Drink plenty of fluids is also an easy-to-do home remedy for strep throat pain and infection. More fluids strep patients drink, more dehydration and frustration because of strep throat pain decreases.
16. Bone Broth
This is considered as an effective home remedy for strep throat pain and infection. Bone broth contains many minerals that boosting immune system and help victims of strep throat stay away from dehydration . There are 2 ways to utilize minerals of bone broth for treating strep throat pain and infection:
Method 1: Make bone broth from scratch
- At least 2 pounds of fresh bones;
- 2 chicken feet to have gelatin;
- 2 stalks of celery, an onion and 2 carrots;
- A tablespoon of apple cider vinegar;
- A bunch of parsley, at least 1 teaspoon of salt, a teaspoon of peppercorn and 2 cloves of garlic;
- Chop celery and carrot roughly, peel carrot if they are not organic
- Put bones in a large pot, pour water over the bone and add apple cider vinegar, then let them be for 20-30 minutes
- Add vegetables to the large pot contains bone
- Boil them until it make a vigorous boil
- Change to simmer for about 48 hours with beef bones, 24 hours for poultry bone and 8 hours for fish bone. You should remove the impurities floating on the surface in some first hours stewing.
- Add parsley and garlic in the last 30 minutes
- Use bone broth to make soups, gravies, sauces. Try to drink at least a cup of broth per day, especially in fall and winter
Method 2: Using protein powder made from bone broth
By this method, all you should do is using protein powder made from bone broth like the instructions noted above.
17. Vitamin C
Vitamin C has ability to boost immune system and repair tissue damage. That’s why it is considered as a must-try option among home remedies for strep throat pain and infection described in this article. Strep throat patients can supplement vitamin C by these ways below:
- Eating citrus, guava, mangoes, rosehips, Indian gooseberry, pepper
- Take 1000mg of vitamin C 3 times daily
18. Home Remedies For Strep Throat – Colloidal Silver
This herb has antibiotic property and no side effect. However, it should be used occasionally rather than every day. Consult doctor’s opinion before using it as a home remedy for strep throat.
This is not only a spicy, but also a wonderful medicine. The reason is turmeric has anti- inflammatory feature. To use turmeric for strep throat pain and infection, patients should do these methods below:
Method 1: Gargle with turmeric
Way 1: Add 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric to ½ teaspoon of salt and a glass of warm water, then gargle this solution. You can add a little bit of garlic to this mixture. Gargle with this solution twice each day.
Way 2: Mix turmeric with warm water and gargle this solution.
All you need to do is add turmeric to foods such as soups, curries and cooked vegetables.
Method 3: Turmeric milk
- Peel turmeric and grind them
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric to a cup of hot milk
- Drink it to heal strep throat
Onion has antiseptic and anti-bacteria properties. There are 2 methods you can apply to treat strep throat by using onions:
Method 1: Just grind onions and chew them
Method 2: Mix onion juice with water
This method is appropriate for strep throat patients who can’t stand the spicy of onions when chewing. All you need to do by this method is shown below:
- Mince and squeeze onions to take its juice
- Mix onions juice with water and gargle this solution
Thanks to anti-bacteria and anti-inflammation properties, garlic is considered as an effective home remedy for strep throat pain and infection. Garlic can be used to treat strep throat by these methods below:
Method 1: Chewing raw garlic
All you need to do is peel 1-2 cloves of garlic and chew them in order to kill bacteria in throat
Method 2: Drink garlic tea
Garlic tea is an appropriate alternative for people can’t stand hot of raw garlic. All you need to do is shown below:
- Crush garlic to take its juice
- Mix this juice well with warm water and drink it
Method 3: Gargle with garlic solution
- Crush a clove of garlic
- Add them to a glass of tepid salt water and gargle as long as you can.
22. Wheatgrass Juice
Wheatgrass juice has ability to relief sore throat pain and infection. To make wheat grass become an effective ingredient for strep throat pain and infection, you should do the following steps:
- Squeeze to extract wheatgrass juiced
- Mix the wheatgrass juice with warm water well
- Gargle this solution
23. Vitamin D
According to some science researches, deficiency of vitamin D and respiratory contagious have close relationship.
24. Home Remedies For Strep Throat – Chamomile
Chamomile has anti-bacteria, anti-inflammatory and astringent properties. Thus, it can be considered as an effective home remedies for strep throat. Besides, it also helps avoid dehydration . To treat strep throat effectively, you should do these following steps:
Preparation (ingredients for 1 cup of tea):
- 8 oz of water;
- 2 tablespoons of dried chamomile flowers
- 4 tablespoons of fresh chamomile flowers
- Boil water, then take the water away from the heat when it boil rapidly
- Put a sieve on the top of a cup
- Pour tea into the cup through the sieve
- Drink chamomile tea to experience their function with strep throat symptoms.
Yoghurt contains many kinds of good bacteria. Good bacteria can fight bad bacteria. So, yoghurt is considered as a wonderful home remedies for strep throat. To experience the efficiency of yoghurt with strep throat, you should eat strep throat and let it stay in your throat for a long time. Make sure that you don’t eat anything for at least 30 minutes before eating yoghurt.
26. Licorice Root
Licorice root has antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties. Thus, it can treat strep throat pain and infection effectively. To make licorice work well for strep throat, you should do the following steps:
Prepare these ingredients:
- 1 cup of dry licorice root
- ½ cup of cinnamon chip
- ½ cup of dried chamomile flowers
- 2 tablespoon of clove powder
- 2 ½ cup of water
Make the mixture between the ingredients above:
- Mix dry licorice root, cinnamon chip, chamomile flowers and clove powder well. This mixture can be preserved a few days.
- Boil water, then add 3 tablespoons of the mixture above to boiled water to make tea
- Boil the mixture for 15 minutes on low heat
- Take the tea away from the heat, then pour through a sieve to take tea and remove plants
- Drink tea when it warm twice per day to remove throat inflammation
Honey is a kind of tasty and healthy remedy for many diseases. Strep throat is one of the diseases that can be eliminated by honey. Raw honey can boost the immune system because of its antioxidants . To make honey work for strep throat, you should do the things below:
Method 1: Honey, garlic and cayenne pepper
Mix all these ingredients below well:
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1-4 tablespoons of raw honey
- 1/8-1/2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper
- Get ½ teaspoons of this mixture each 30 minutes or as much as you want every day.
Method 2: Honey and lemon
Lemon can boost immune system thanks to vitamin C in its. Honey can heal the wound. Therefore, the mixture of honey and lemon is an effective home remedy for strep throat pain, rash, infection. You need to do the following steps to utilize all function of honey and lemon in treating strep throat:
- Squeeze a lemon to take its juice
- Mix a tablespoon of honey with lemon juice well
- Drink 3 times per day until all symptoms of strep throat disappear
Method 3: Just using raw honey
All you need to do is eat 1 tablespoon of honey immediately after waking up in the morning and before going to bed daily.
Alternatively, you can gargle the solution of a teaspoon of honey with a little bit of warm water to heal your throat.
Method 4: Honey and walnut
Walnut can remove the ticklish feeling in throat. Honey can soothe throat. So, the mixture of honey and walnut is an effective home remedy for strep throat pain and infection. To treat strep throat by honey and walnut, you should do these steps below:
- Strew out the walnut husk and honey
- Leave it for some minutes
- Pour though a strainer to take its solution and use it
28. Home Remedies For Strep Throat – Sunflower Oil
Sage can decrease the speed of infection and protects respiratory system. To kick strep throat by using sage, you can choose one of 2 methods below:
Method 1: Gargle with sage
Make the mixture of warm water and sage leaves, then gargle this solution from 3-4 times per day until all strep throat symptoms disappear.
Method 2: Sage, lemon and salt
- Squeeze half of a lemon to extract its juice
- Mix this juice with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 cup of sage tea
- Stir well and gargle this solution at least 3 times each day
Lemon contains vitamin C, which is good for boosting immune system. Thus, it is considered as an effective home remedy for strep throat pain and infection. The following steps can help you eliminate strep throat completely:
Method 1: Drinking lemonade
- Squeeze half of a lemon to take its juice
- Mix lemon juice with a glass of fresh water
- Add a little bit of sugar to the glass containing lemon juice and water
- Drink lemonade twice a day, once before going to bed. Make sure that you don’t eat or drink anything for at least 20 minutes after drinking lemonade to obtain the best result.
Method 2: Eat lemon
- Peel lemon like the way you peel an orange
- Slice peeled lemon and eat 2-3 slices among them
- You can add a little bit of sugar to lemon slices and eat them
Echinacea has ability to kill bacteria and its effects. So, you can use it as an effective home remedy for strep throat pain and infection. All you need to do to utilize function of Echinacea for strep throat is squirt tincture of Echinacea directly to throat while you have strep throat. Try to squirt 1 hour until strep throat symptoms disappear.
It is also a. There are 2 methods to use thyme as an effective remedy for strep throat pain and infection:
- Mix thyme, lemon and olive oil together
- Apply this mixture to the external of throat and massages gently
You should inhale the fumes from a dispenser in order to relieve strep throat pain.
33. Ice cream
Ice creams are soft and cool. These features help ice cream relieve burning sensation and pain inside throat because of strep throat. By this method, all you need to do is eat types of ice cream that you like.
Amla, also called Indian gooseberry, is a very good herb for the whole body. It has ability to strengthen immune system, heal the wound thanks to great amount of vitamin C in it. To relieve strep throat pain and infection, you should do the following steps:
- Grate an amla
- Soak in a cup of hot water for 5 minutes
- Drink this solution but don’t pour through any sieve.
By this method, all patients need to do is shown below:
- Add some fenugreek seeds to a cup of water
- Simmer this mixture for at least 1 hour
- Let it cool and use it to gargle
In short, 58 above-mentioned home remedies for strep throat pain and infection are applicable for reducing strep throat symptoms at home. You should choose some of them to experience. If you have any contribution to article of “Top 58 home remedies for strep throat pain and infection”, please feel free to give comments or feedback below this post. We will answer as soon as possible.
For further tips and tricks about other diseases, feel free to visit our Home Remedies page here.