What Are Gallstones?
Gallstones are simply the disease related to the gall. They are hard deposits in the gallbladder. Gallstones may be either tiny as a sand grain or big as a golf ball.
What Are The Causes Of Gallstones?
- According to a study, high levels of cholesterol in the gallbladder are the main reason for gallstones.
- Also, if the gallbladder has too much bilirubin, it may cause you to catch gallstones.
- Gallstones often occur in pregnant women, and people with diabetes, liver diseases, obesity, etc.
What Are The Symptoms Of Gallstones?
About 80% of people suffering from gallstones have no apparent symptoms. Therefore, they do not know that they are getting gallstones. However, when a person gets gallstones, he will experience abdominal pain, back pain, vomiting, digestive disorders, chilliness, yellowish skin, etc. The pain may last for a few hours.
Fortunately, all these symptoms of gallstones may be alleviated using natural remedies. Let’s have a look at our article to know the 20 most effective home remedies for gallstones pain relief that cost you nothing.
Top 20 Effective Home Remedies For Gallstones Pain Relief
There is no science-based evidence for the following homemade recipes. The recipes we’ve focused on are traditional home remedies, so always consult your doctor and check out your health condition regularly to know if a remedy is working for you.
TrueRemedies Partner Solutions
Need a Help from the Leading Expert Online, Available 24/7?
They’re all here and ready to answer your questions online or by phone. Keep asking questions until you get the answer you need.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Being enriched with acetic acid, apple cider vinegar may prevent our liver from producing cholesterol, which is the leading cause of gallstones. Apple cider vinegar also works to dissolve gallstones and ease the pain.
- Take 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and put it in a bowl.
- Then, add a glass of apple juice and stir them well.
- Consume the drink to relieve the pain.
- Take 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and put it in a bowl.
- Then, add to it 1 teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Next, add 1 glass of warm water.
- Consume the mixture on an empty stomach every morning.
- Do this process regularly to dissolve gallstones and stop painful feelings.
2. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is regarded as one of the most effective home remedies for gallstones. It may inhibit the liver from producing cholesterol, promoting the recovery process. Especially, thanks to the rich pectin content, lemon juice is good at soothing pain caused by gallstones. Besides, it is vitamin C in lemon juice that helps water dissolve more cholesterol, accelerating the removal of waste products.
- Take 4 lemons and squeeze to get the juice.
- Consume the juice on an empty stomach every morning.
- Then, drink a glass of water.
- Do this method every day in a week.
- Take some lemons and squeeze to get 4 tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Pour them into a glass of water.
- Drink the mixture on an empty stomach every morning.
- Do this for a few weeks.
Next, you can use peppermint as a natural way to treat gallstones. Peppermint may support the digestion by encouraging the bile flow and reducing digestive pain caused by gallstones. Furthermore, thanks to the terpene-called compound, peppermint may dissolve gallstones. Plus, it works as a natural medicine to relax the spasms and reduce the pain caused by gallbladder attack.
- Boil 1 cup of water in a pot.
- When the water boils, add a teaspoon of dried peppermint leaves.
- Turn off the heat.
- Let the mixture steep for a few minutes.
- Strain the mixture.
- Then, add a teaspoon of raw honey.
- Drink this warm tea twice every day between your meals.
- Continue drinking this tea for six consecutive weeks.
4. Vegetable Juice
A healthy diet with more fresh fruits and vegetables such as carrots, cucumbers, and beetroot and less fatty foods is essential for people suffering from gallstones. Thanks to the high level of water content, cucumber is listed as a wonderful ingredient to cleanse the liver and gallbladder. Beetroot is also good at removing gallstones because they have the power to detoxify and maintain gallbladder’s health. Carrot works well to combat gallstones because they have a high number of nutrients, especially vitamin C, which help to strengthen the immune system.
- Wash a beetroot, a cucumber, and 4 small carrots thoroughly.
- Put them in a blender and blend to take the juice.
- Consume this juice twice every day for 2 consecutive weeks.
Psyllium is also commonly used to fight gallstones thanks to its soluble dietary fiber which stops the production of cholesterol in the bile. Also, psyllium facilitates the normal movement of the bowel and prevents gallbladder blockage. Moreover, psyllium has an ability to inhibit constipation, which is associated with the increasing formation of gallstones.
- Take 1 teaspoon of psyllium powder and put it in a bowl.
- Pour 1 glass of water into the bowl and mix them well.
- Consume the mixture twice every day until you recover from gallstones completely.
- Note: Drink a lot of water if you apply this remedy.
You can use dandelion as another natural way to relieve gallstones because it has a taraxacin-called compound which helps to release the bile from the liver. Plus, dandelion is a perfect tool for cleaning and metabolizing fat formed in the liver.
- Take 1 teaspoon of dried dandelion root and put it in a teapot.
- Then, add some hot water and leave it steep for a few minutes.
- Next, strain the mixture.
- Add some raw honey and consume twice a day for 2 consecutive weeks.
- Take 2 teaspoons of marshmallow root and put it in a pot.
- Then, add 1 teaspoon of Oregon grape root and 4 cups of water.
- Boil the mixture.
- Then reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 20 minutes before turning off the heat.
- Next, add 2 teaspoons of dried dandelion leaves and 1 teaspoon of dried peppermint leaves.
- Let them steep for 20 more minutes and strain the mixture.
- Consume the tea every day.
Note: Do not apply this remedy for those having diabetes.
7. Milk Thistle
If you have gallstones, milk thistle is one of the natural remedies that you should not miss. Containing the silymarin-called bitter substance, milk thistle is very useful in encouraging the production of bile, helping to reduce the density of gallstones. As a result, gallstones will be flushed out. Furthermore, consuming milk thistle helps prevent the liver from being damaged and maintain its functions.
- Take 1 tablespoon of milk thistle seeds and grind them.
- Then, put the ground seeds in a pot.
- Add 3 cups of water to the pot and boil the mixture.
- Remove it from the heat and allow the mixture to steep for about 15 minutes.
- Strain the mixture.
- Add some raw honey and consume twice every day.
- Take milk thistle supplement upon your doctor’s advice.
8. Castor Oil
Owing to the healing and medicinal properties, castor oil is considered as one of the most powerful home remedies for gallstones. It may decrease the density of gallstones in the gallbladder. Plus, it has the power to fight against inflammation, significantly contributing to easing the pain and neutralizing the inflammation caused by gallstones. Castor oil is also good at strengthening the immune and lymphatic system and saving your body from many diseases.
- Take 1 cup of pure and cold-pressed castor oil and put it in a pot.
- Warm the oil.
- Put a cheesecloth in water to make it wet and put it in the warmed oil.
- Remove the excess amount of oil by squeezing it.
- Place the cloth on your gallbladder.
- Use a plastic sheet to cover the cloth.
- Now, place a bag of hot water on the plastic sheet and leave it on for an hour.
- Do this process thrice every week.
Pears have a high amount of dietary fiber, which is so useful to improve our digestive system and remove gallstones. They also contain antioxidants and vitamin C, helping strengthen the immune system by stimulating the production of blood cells. When it comes to gallstones, thanks to the pectin compound, pears are so useful to soften gallstones; thereby, facilitating their elimination.
- Take some pears and peel them
- Put them in a blender, blend to get a glass of juice.
- Pour the juice into a bowl.
- Add 1 glass of hot water and 2 tablespoons of raw honey.
- Stir them well.
- Consume the mixture thrice every day for 2 consecutive weeks.
- Take some pears, peel them, and remove their seeds.
- Cut them into thin slices and put them in a pot.
- Add some water to the pot.
- Cook the mixture for about half an hour.
- Consume the cooked pears when they are warm.
Wine is also regarded as one of the most wonderful home remedies for gallstones. Studies show that wine may inhibit gallstone attacks . Interestingly, it may relieve the pain due to gallstones within about 20 minutes after consuming ½ glass of wine. Therefore, consume a glass of wine every day to maintain good liver and gallbladder functions.
11. Red Bell Peppers
Being enriched with a considerable amount of vitamin C, red bell peppers are considered a must-try ingredient for gallstone removal. Apart from strengthening the immune system, vitamin C helps convert cholesterol in the liver into bile acid; therefore, inhibiting the formation of stones in the gallbladder . In other words, a sufficient amount of vitamin C reduces the risk of catching gallstones. You are advised to eat a red bell pepper everyday to remove gallstones quickly and naturally.
Many people do not like this vegetable because of its taste. However, it is a wonderful home remedy to save you from gallstones. Radish is rich in fiber and roughage, which are so useful to improve the digestive system. Furthermore, it may help to manage the production of bile, keeping the liver and gallbladder in good conditions. Additionally, radish may promote bile flow, which helps to limit gallstone formation in the gallbladder.
- Wash a radish thoroughly, peel it and cut it into small slices.
- Put them in a blender, add some water, and blend to get the juice.
- Consume about 5 tablespoons of radish juice every day if you have large gallstones and 1 tablespoon if you have small gallstones.
You can also use beetroots to treat gallstones thanks to its rich content of fiber and flavonoids which work well to decrease cholesterol levels in the bloodstream, contributing to preventing the formation of gallstones. Besides, beetroots may help repair liver damage and promote liver functions.
- Take a beetroot and wash it thoroughly.
- Peel it and cut it into small slices.
- Put the chopped beetroot in a blender, add some water, and blend to get the juice.
- Consume 1 cup of beetroot juice daily to ease the pain caused by gallstones.
14. Cranberry Juice
Cranberry juice is another useful ingredient to treat gallstones thanks to the rich content of fiber, which may lower cholesterol levels and inhibit the formation of gallstones. Also, the acid property of cranberry juice may help maintain the bile flow through the gallbladder; thereby, decreasing the risk of bile salt accumulation, which will later form gallstones. One more benefit of cranberry juice is that it keeps your gallbladder at good conditions thanks to its antioxidant properties.
- Take a pound of cranberries and wash them with water thoroughly.
- Boil a pot of water and add cranberries to the pot when the water boils.
- Reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove it from heat and allow it to steep for 10 more minutes.
- Add some raw honey to the cooked cranberries.
- Then, put them in a blender and blend well.
- Strain the mixture to get the juice.
- Put the juice in the refrigerator for an hour and then enjoy.
- Do this every day to eliminate gallstones quickly.
Turmeric is well-known for the excellent curcumin compound, which is claimed to have a lot of health benefits. Thanks to the anti-inflammatory and antioxidant powers, turmeric is commonly used as a folk remedy to dissolve gallstones. More specifically, turmeric strengthens the ability of the bile in dissolving salts or cholesterols, preventing the stone formation in the gallbladder.
- Take ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder and put it in a cup.
- Add the same amount of raw honey and mix them well.
- Consume the mixture every day.
- Drink enough water daily as sufficient water helps to prevent the formation of gallstones in the gallbladder.
- Ensure the sufficiency of vitamin C as it may give a hand to lower the risk of catching gallstones.
- Reduce fat consumption because it may result in stone formation in the gallbladder.
- Maintain a healthy body weight because being overweight or obese may increase your chances of having gallstones. It is shown that being overweight is linked with more inflammation and swelling in the gallbladder, especially in those with a large amount of fat around their waistline.
- Reduce the amount of sugar consumption because excessive sugar may lead to gallstones.
- Consume foods rich in fiber, such as fresh vegetables.
- Consume foods good for gallstone prevention such as the juice of lemons, apples, tomatoes, turmeric, etc.
- Limit or avoid dairy consumption.
Our article has introduced to you the most natural and effective home remedies for gallstones. If you have any concerns about the remedies mentioned in our article, don’t hesitate to leave your comments and questions in the box below. We will try to respond as soon as possible.