When a person suffers from sulfur burps, or has burps which cause a “rotten-egg smell”, it often indicates that your digestive system is in trouble. After a heavy meal, it is normal to have burps now and then because it is essential to help pass the gas trapped in your digestive tract, but it is abnormal to continually have that kind of smell.
A little gas from your stomach is normal, but the huge amount of sulfur burps smell bad and may leave you embarrassed. Burping is a common occurrence, and happens when the gas builds up in your intestinal tract. The human body has to eliminate this gas either via flatulence of burping.
General, the sulfur burps’ rotten egg smell is the hydrogen sulfide gas which derives from something you consumed or an infection or gut condition. To eliminate sulfur burps, there are a variety of ways, but natural remedies on how to get rid of sulfur burps are highly recommended at the first stages of the condition. Fortunately, this article will give you some of the best methods for sulfur burp relief. However, at first, you had better have a general understanding about this condition, including what it is, what causes it, what common symptoms are, what risk factors are, when to see a doctor, etc. Keep reading on TrueRemedies.com!
What Are Sulfur Burps?
In essence, sulfur burps happen because of gas accumulation in the stomach. They need to be released to relieve the discomfort. The forceful expulsion of gas may make a sound and it is rather embarrassing in public. It is described as a loud sound either with or without a sulfur smell.
This digestive disorder is experienced in nearly all age groups. The term of “sulfur burp” originates from hydrogen sulphide (H2S) gas that has a smell of rotten eggs. This gas expels as the sulfur burps via the mouth.
What Are Causes Of Sulfur Burps?
Actually, there is no single cause of sulfur burps. It is normal to have burps in daily life. You might go through burps much more frequently because of diet or behaviors. Burping might be a sign of another health issue.
A type of diet causing sulfur burps is a diet containing too much meat. During the digesting process, your intestine’s friendly bacteria promote the breakdown of animal proteins from the consumed meat products. Afterwards, the production of hydrogen sulfide is resulted from the metabolism of animal proteins due to gut bacteria. Thus, if you have a high-meat diet, then there will be more hydrogen sulfide produced and eradicated from your own body as sulfur burps.
Besides, the enzymes in your stomach also plays an important role in the breakdown of animal proteins; nonetheless, if there is not enough secretion of such enzymes , there will be an excessive amount of hydrogen sulfide produced. It will not only cause sulfur burps but also foul-smelling flatulence.
There are also other causes of sulfur burps, which are:
- Infections of your gastro intestinal tract 
- Diet: excessive consumption of meat, sulfur protein-rich foods like dairy products, eggs, veggies like cauliflower, asparagus, broccoli, sweet potatoes, legumes, onions, spinach, poultry products, and fruits such as avocados, bananas, or watermelon may result in sulfur burps.
- Certain types of medical conditions: gastrointestinal disorders such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Crohn’s disease, gastroesophageal reflux, indigestion, etc could result in rotten egg burps.
- Food allergy: if you consume specific foods to which you are allergic, then the resultant allergy can result in diarrhea and sulfur burps.
- Bacteria: Helicobacter Pylori is bacteria that denotes as the major cause of sulfur burps. When you fail to maintain proper oral hygiene, these bacteria could trigger sulfur burps in your body.
- Certain medications: read the prescription labels of your medicines and if you see the “sulfur” word in the ingredients described in labels, you will most likely suffer from sulfur burps when taking that medication.
What Are Symptoms Of Sulfur Burps?
In addition to the rotten egg smell, there are some other symptoms of sulfur burps, including:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Severe pain and exhaustion
- Abdominal cramps
When To See A Doctor?
Generally, burping is a fundamental function of the human body. You might experience other symptoms associated with producing too much gas, such as:
Burping and other symptoms will not be of concern if they do not affect your daily life too much.
You had better see your doctor when you suspect that there are underlying conditions or when the sulfur burps are associated with concerning symptoms, such as:
- Weight loss
- Pain in your digestive tract or chest
- Nausea and vomiting
Such symptoms might imply that you have a more serious health issue.
22 Effective Ways How To Get Rid Of Sulfur Burps Instantly And Naturally
1. Green Tea And Herbal Teas
Green tea can aid your digestion and help the human body eliminate toxins, which results in better overall health. Peppermint tea is usually recommended to boost digestion and eradicate bad breath. Having it throughout the day might keep your sulfur burps to a minimum level.
Chamomile tea has anti-inflammatory properties, and is especially good for a number of digestive disorders. This superb herbal tea is helpful in calming down an upset stomach, prevent vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea.
Just simply drink one of these teas after having a meal to alleviate your sulfur burps naturally. Also, you can add honey and lemon to your tea to improve its tastes and take advantage of its properties.
2. How To Get Rid Of Sulfur Burps – Fennel Seeds
Fennel seeds include a variety of essential compounds named cineole, anethole, limonene, etc. which have anti-flatulence, antioxidant, and carminative properties.
Thus, using it will soothe your digestive tract while preventing digestive issues such as heartburn, bloating, and indigestion.
- Chew 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds thoroughly in the morning and evening after having meals. This will improve your digestion and prevent gas formation in your stomach .
- Alternatively, you could mix 1 teaspoon each of asafetida and raw honey with 2 tablespoons of fennel seeds. After stirring well, consume this mixture twice per day, preferably after having heavy meals.
- Add 1 teaspoon of freshly crushed fennel seeds to 1 cup of hot water. After covering, allow it to steep for 7-10 minutes, strain it. Have this tea for twice per day to relieve burps.
3. Honey And Lemon
If you use honey and lemon either separately or in combination, they will help cure sulfur burps. They all contain good nutrients required for appropriate functioning of digestive tract, thereby preventing sulfur burps.
To use honey and lemon to know how to get rid of sulfur burps, you can follow these methods:
- Mix raw honey with fresh lemon juice with the ratio of 1:1
- Add them in a glass of warm water
- Stir well before drinking it in the morning before having a breakfast
- Consume 1 tablespoon of raw honey every day. This will soothe your irritated stomach and prevent gas formation in your digestive system.
- Drink 1 glass of lime or lemon juice mixed with warm water on an empty stomach each morning to reap its benefits for sulfur burp relief.
4. Baking Soda
Baking soda, aka sodium bircarbonate, is not only a common household substance, but also a good ingredient for a number of health condition treatments. It is often sued to relieve problematic symptoms of an upset stomach. It acts as natural antacid which can neutralize the acids within your digestive tract, break down food and make digestion easier, restore the body’s pH balance, and relieve bloating and excess gas,
But, it should not be used in large amounts because it may result in high blood pressure.
All you have to do to use baking soda as a home remedy for how to get rid of sulfur burps are:
Method 1: Baking soda and water
This solution will treat your painful symptoms naturally and almost instantly. Usually, baking soda dissolves rapidly in water, and is absorbed within the human intestines. It can neutralize the effects of a meal or an acidic diet. Besides, when mixed with water, the carbonation derives from baking soda will improve burping, relieving bloating and excess gas to help ease pain and upset stomach.
- Mix ½ – 1 teaspoon of baking soda to ½ glass of water
- Mix well to until it dissolves completely
- Have this solution once every 4 hours
Note: Do not use over 5 teaspoons each day.
Method 2: Baking soda, vinegar, and water
- Add ½ teaspoon of baking soda to a small glass of water
- Stir well, then put 1 teaspoon of either plain vinegar or apple cider vinegar to decrease the acidity
- After its bubbling, add some water and baking soda into
- Wait for several minutes to let the bubbles reduce
- Drink it in 10 seconds or so to relieve sulfur burps
After 15 minutes, if you do not sense any improvement, drink more.
You can either use vinegar or lemon to reap similar benefits.
Method 3: Baking soda, peppermint leaves and lemon
- Mix ½ – 1 teaspoon of baking soda, a few crushed peppermint leaves, and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Put them to ½ cup of water
- Mix well, and have it instantly with or without ice cubes
Method 4: Baking soda and peppermint tea
- Make a cup of peppermint tea
- Add ½ – 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- After mixing well, have it with or without lemon juice
It will take from 10 to 15 minutes to take effects.
- Do not take baking soda if you are on a sodium-restricted diet.
- Do not give baking soda to children below 6 years old
- People with calcium absorption interference, congestive heart failure, kidney damage, gas, liver cirrhosis, etc had better avoid consuming baking soda .
- Both pregnant and breastfeeding women should not use this ingredient. If yes, have doctor’s consultation.
5. How To Get Rid Of Sulfur Burps – Yogurt And Cumin Seeds
The combination of yogurt and cumin seeds will give you a great solution for how to get rid of sulfur burps instantly. Yogurt has probiotics which are good bacteria for digestive system, while cumin seeds have phyto-chemicals that possess anti-flatulence and carminative properties. Despite the majority of probiotic products are dairy products that contain sulphur in the proteins, you had better acknowledge that sour veggies are also high in those beneficial microorganisms  .
What you have to do is:
- Add 1 cup of water to 2 cups of yogurt to dilute it
- Mix well, and put 1 tablespoon of cumin seeds in yogurt
- After mixing, consume this mixture instantly
- Repeat this routine regularly to relieve bad smelling rotten egg burps
6. Fennel Seeds And Asafetida
Consuming the combination of fennel and asafetida is a great method to beat sulfur burps. These ingredients have anti-flatulence effects.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of fennel seeds with 1 teaspoon of asafetida
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey into to have a good mixture
- Have this solution twice per day to get rid of sulfur burps
7. Caraway Seeds
With proven anti-flatulent and carminative agents, caraway seeds are helpful for sulfur burp relief.
What you need to do is:
- Take 1 tablespoon of caraway seeds to add to your daily salad
- Have it
Or, you can also consume these seeds directly
8. Pepper, Dry Ginger And Cardamom Seeds
It is said that sometimes sulfur burps may result in greater discomfort associated with embarrassing social situations for sufferers. However, if you combine dry ginger, cardamom seeds, and pepper together, you will reduce the risk of such situations.
Follow these guidelines:
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of pepper, dry ginger and cardamom seeds
- Grind them in a blender and add ¼ cup of water into
- Mix well and have this solution after breakfast
- Repeat this routine after having lunch and dinner every day
9. How To Get Rid Of Sulfur Burps – Carrot And Bananas
You will no longer have to get rid of sulfur burps if you combine carrot and bananas together, which will supply required nutrients to nullify your stomach’s acids and gas in your digestive tract.
- Slice 3 carrots into small pieces
- Take a banana to mash it
- Add prepared ingredients in a glass of water
- After mixing well, have this pulp
- Follow this method daily to lessen egg and sulfur burps
This is a dependable remedy on how to get rid of sulfur burps. Thanks to powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, ginger can help you relieve the symptoms of an upset stomach all naturally  .
- Chew a piece of ginger for several minutes
- Do this thrice per day to get a relief soon
This method even helps prevent sulfur burps as well as other digestive problems, including indigestion.
- Put 2 pieces of ginger to a glass of water
- Boil it up and let the water cool down somehow
- After straining, have the tea
- Repeat this twice per day to get the best results
Method 3: Ginger and cinnamon
- Mix ½ teaspoon each of ground cinnamon and ground ginger together
- Add all prepared ingredients in 1 cup of hot water
- Let it steep for 10 minutes
- Add 1teaspoon of honey into
- Mix properly and have this preparation daily
11. How To Get Rid Of Sulfur Burps – Apples
Having a lot of fibres, apples have a capacity of taking hydrogen sulphide gas and toxins from organisms. Also, the fibres in apples can help you treat bacterial infections. What is more, consuming this fruit will provide you with essential nutrients, vitamins and minerals.
You can either consume this fruit or drink apple juice to get a relief from smelling rotten egg burps.
12. Brown Rice
Similar to apples, brown rice also has a rich content of fibres. You can add this product to your daily meal as a separate product or take it a few times per day as a medicine for sulfur burps treatment. Brown rice is not only good for your health but also your taste .
13. How To Get Rid Of Sulfur Burps – Olive Oil
Another natural way on how to get rid of sulfur burps is using olive oil, which is highly recommended for problems associated with digestive tract.
Consume one teaspoon of olive oil a few times per day or simply add it to your meal. Besides, olive oil is an excellent dressing for fresh salads.
14. Pepto Bismol
This method is little known but works almost instantly. Pepto Bismol is bismuth subsalicylate which is a medication having pink color and used for different issues with digestion. You can use Pepto Bismol to treat sulphur burps by coating you digestive system’s irritated issues. This helps the fluids retarded. Besides, fluids will also be absorbed better. As a result, you will remove inflammation and irritation of the stomach’s tissues.
Pepto Bismol also comes with a variety of anti-microbial properties making this medicine a good choice for treating the digestive tract’s infections.
For instance, this substance can bind toxins produced by a dangerous microorganism named Escherichia coli. Moreover, salicylic acid and bismuth are very toxic for other pathogenic microorganisms.
Last but not least effective when it comes to how to get rid of sulfur burps instantly and naturally is papaya. This fruit is good for not only sulphur burp but also other digestive problems thanks to special enzymes. You had better add this product to your daily diet to take its advantage for digestion.
How To Get Rid Of Sulfur Burps – Extra Tips
In addition to the methods on how to get rid of sulfur burps naturally and instantly above, there are some extra tips to keep in mind if you want to relieve this condition once and for all.
- Include fiber-rich foods to your staple diet too soothe your digestive system.
- It is important to minimize the consumption of foods having high sugar because they might result in gas accumulation in your stomach, leading smelling rotten egg burps.
- It is advisable to stop drinking alcohol while treating sulfur burps. Or at least, you should cut down the alcoholic drinks.
- Stay away from protein-rich foods such as eggs, poultry, red meat and so on.
- Consume more fresh fruit juices regularly, not the canned types,
- Drink lots of water daily to safeguard your gastrointestinal system from being impacted by bacteria triggering smelling sulfur burps.
- Have many smaller meals spreading across the day instead of 2-3 larger meals a day.
- Before cooking beans, soak them in water for 3 hours to remove soluble carbohydrate which is the culprit of gas in the stomach .
- Make sure that you chew foods carefully before swallowing to reduce gas production.
- Do not add artificial sweeteners to your diet as it just aggravates the condition.
- Remove processed foods from your diet due to the high concentration of bacteria and parasites.
- Do exercise more, such as yoga, walking and jogging to get faster treating process.
- Pinpoint the foods causing allergic reactions and eradicate them from your current diet.
To sum up, despite the home remedies for how to get rid of sulfur burps are many, diagnosis of this condition will be essential to identify if this is a chronic issue.
Hope that some of these 22 methods are helpful for you. Do let us know if this can resolve your issue and how effective our remedies are by dropping your words at the comment box below.
For further simple but effective homemade health and beauty tips, do not hesitate visit our How To Page.