When a person suffers from sulfur burps or burps with a rotten-egg smell, it often indicates that your digestive system is in trouble. After a heavy meal, it is normal to have burps because it is essential to help remove the gas trapped in your digestive tract. However, it is abnormal to have that kind of smell continually. A little gas from the valve of your stomach is normal, but the massive amount of sulfur burps causes a bad smell and makes you embarrassed. Burping is a common condition, it and happens when the digestive system releases excess gas. There are a variety of ways to get rid of sulfur burps. However, using natural remedies on how to get rid of sulfur burps is highly recommended in the first stages of the condition. Fortunately, this article will give you some of the best methods for sulfur burp relief. However, at first, you should have a general understanding about this condition, including what it is, what causes it, what common symptoms are, what risk factors are, when to see a doctor, etc.
- 26 Home Remedies For Gas Pain And Bloating In Children & Adults
- 30 Natural Home Remedies For GERD Pain In Children & Adults
- 21 Natural Home Remedies For Indigestion In Teenagers & Adults
What Are Sulfur Burps?
Sulfur burps are burps with a foul rotten egg smell that is caused due to hydrogen sulfide gas. A burp is a natural way for your digestive system to remove excess gas. This excess gas is the air that enters through your mouth or may be a byproduct of bacteria that break down food.
In fact, eating and drinking too quickly may cause air to enter through your mouth. Other causes include habits, such as smoking or gum chewing. Drinking carbonated beverages (beer, soft drinks, etc.) is also another way to get gas into your stomach and then burped out.
What Are Causes Of Sulfur Burps?
Actually, there is no single cause of sulfur burps. It is normal to have burps in daily life. You might go through burps much more frequently because of food or behaviors. A burp might be a sign of a health issue.
A diet causing sulfur burps contains too much meat. During the digestion process, friendly bacteria in your intestine promote the breakdown of animal proteins from the consumed meat. Afterward, the production of hydrogen sulfide is a result of the metabolism of animal proteins due to gut bacteria. Thus, if you have a high-meat diet, then there will be much hydrogen sulfide produced and eradicated from your body as sulfur burps.
Besides, the enzymes in your stomach also play an important role in the breakdown of animal proteins. Nonetheless, if there is not enough secretion of such enzymes , there will be an excessive amount of hydrogen sulfide produced. It will cause not only sulfur burps but also foul-smelling flatulence.
Other causes of sulfur burps are:
- Infections of your gastrointestinal tract
- Diet: Excessive consumption of meat, sulfur protein-rich foods (dairy products, eggs,) veggies (cauliflower, asparagus, broccoli, sweet potatoes, legumes, onions, spinach,) poultry products, and fruits (avocados, bananas, or watermelon) may result in sulfur burps.
- Certain types of medical conditions: Gastrointestinal disorders such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), acid reflux, Crohn’s disease, gastroesophageal reflux, indigestion, etc. could result in rotten egg burps.
- Food allergy: If you consume certain foods to which you are allergic, then it may result in diarrhea and sulfur burps.
- Bacteria: Helicobacter Pylori is a bacterium that causes sulfur burps. When you fail to maintain proper oral hygiene, these bacteria could trigger sulfur burps in your body.
- Certain medications: If you see the “sulfur” word in the ingredients listed in prescription medication labels, you will most likely suffer from sulfur burps when taking that medication.
What Are Symptoms Of Sulfur Burps?
In addition to the rotten egg smell, some other symptoms of sulfur burps include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Severe pain and exhaustion
- Abdominal cramps
When To See A Doctor?
Generally, burping is a normal condition of the human body. You may experience other symptoms associated with producing too much gas, such as:
Burping and other symptoms will not be a concern if it does not affect your daily life too much.
You should see your physician when you suspect that there are underlying conditions or when the sulfur burps are associated with other symptoms, such as:
- Weight loss
- Pain in your digestive tract or chest
- Nausea and vomiting
Such symptoms may indicate that you have a more severe health issue.
22 Good Ways How To Get Rid Of Sulfur Burps Instantly
1. Green Tea And Herbal Teas
Green tea may aid your digestion and help eliminate toxins from your body for better overall health. According to a study, green tea is beneficial in relieving oral malodor temporarily thanks to its disinfectant and deodorant properties. Peppermint tea is usually recommended to boost digestion and eradicate bad breath. Having it throughout the day may reduce your sulfur burps.
Chamomile tea has anti-inflammatory properties, and it is especially useful for a number of digestive disorders. This super herbal tea is helpful in calming down an upset stomach and preventing vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea.
Just simply drink one of these teas after having a meal to alleviate your sulfur burps naturally. Also, you can add honey and lemon to your tea to improve its tastes and take advantage of its properties.
2. How To Get Rid Of Sulfur Burps – Fennel Seeds
Fennel seeds include a variety of essential compounds such as cineole, anethole, limonene, etc., which have anti-flatulence, antioxidant, and carminative properties.
Thus, using it will soothe your digestive tract while preventing digestive issues such as heartburn, bloating, and indigestion.
- Chew 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds thoroughly in the morning and evening after having meals. This will improve your digestion and prevent gas formation in your stomach.
- Alternatively, you could mix 1 teaspoon each of asafetida and raw honey with 2 tablespoons of fennel seeds. After stirring well, consume this mixture twice per day, preferably after having heavy meals.
- Add 1 teaspoon of freshly crushed fennel seeds to 1 cup of hot water. After covering, allow it to steep for 7-10 minutes, strain it. Have this tea for twice per day to relieve burps.
3. Honey And Lemon
If you use honey and lemon either separately or in combination, they will help cure sulfur burps. They contain proper nutrients required for the proper function of the digestive tract, thereby preventing sulfur burps.
To use honey and lemon to know how to get rid of sulfur burps, you can follow these methods:
- Mix raw honey with fresh lemon juice at a ratio of 1:1
- Add them to a glass of warm water
- Stir well before drinking it in the morning before having a breakfast
- Consume 1 tablespoon of raw honey every day. This will soothe your irritated stomach and prevent gas formation in your digestive tract.
- Drink 1 glass of lime or lemon juice mixed with warm water on an empty stomach each morning to reap its benefits for sulfur burp relief.
4. Baking Soda
Baking soda, aka sodium bicarbonate, is not only a common household substance but also an excellent ingredient for a number of health condition treatments. It is often used to relieve symptoms of an upset stomach. It acts as a natural antacid which may neutralize the acids in your digestive tract, break down food, improve digestion, restore the body pH balance, and relieve bloating and excess gas.
But, it should not be used in large amounts because it may result in high blood pressure.
All you have to do to use baking soda as a home remedy for how to get rid of sulfur burps are:
Method 1: Baking soda and water
This solution will treat your symptoms naturally and almost instantly. Usually, baking soda dissolves rapidly in water, and it is absorbed in the human intestine. It may neutralize the effects of a meal or an acidic diet. Besides, when mixed with water, the carbonation from baking soda will improve burps, relieving bloating and excess gas to help ease pain and an upset stomach.
- Mix ½ – 1 teaspoon of baking soda to ½ glass of water
- Mix well until it dissolves completely
- Have this mixture once every 4 hours
Note: Do not use over 5 teaspoons each day.
Method 2: Baking soda, vinegar, and water
- Add ½ teaspoon of baking soda to a small glass of water
- Stir well and then put 1 teaspoon of either plain vinegar or apple cider vinegar to decrease the acidity
- After its bubbling, add some water and baking soda
- Wait for several minutes to let the bubbles reduce
- Drink it in 10 seconds or more to relieve sulfur burps
After 15 minutes, if you do not note any improvement, drink more.
You can either use vinegar or lemon to reap similar benefits.
Method 3: Baking soda, peppermint leaves, and lemon
- Mix ½ – 1 teaspoon of baking soda, a few crushed peppermint leaves, and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Put them to ½ cup of water
- Mix well and have it instantly with or without ice cubes
Method 4: Baking soda and peppermint tea
- Make a cup of peppermint tea
- Add ½ – 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- After mixing well, have it with or without lemon juice
It will take from 10 to 15 minutes to take effects.
- Do not take baking soda if you are on a sodium-restricted diet.
- Do not give baking soda to children below 6 years old
- People with calcium absorption interference, congestive heart failure, kidney damage, gas, liver cirrhosis, etc .had better avoid consuming baking soda.
Both pregnant and breastfeeding women should not use this ingredient. If yes, have a consultation of a physician.
5. Yogurt And Cumin Seeds
The combination of yogurt and cumin seeds will give you an excellent solution how to get rid of sulfur burps. Yogurt has probiotics which are good bacteria for the digestive tract, while cumin seeds have phytochemicals that possess anti-flatulence and carminative properties. Although the majority of probiotic products are dairy products that contain sulfur in the proteins, you had better acknowledge that sour veggies are also high in those beneficial microorganisms.
- Add 1 cup of water to 2 cups of yogurt to dilute it
- Mix well and put 1 tablespoon of cumin seeds in yogurt
- After mixing, consume this mixture instantly
- Repeat this routine regularly to relieve sulfur burps
6. Fennel Seeds And Asafetida
Consuming the combination of fennel and asafetida is an excellent method to beat sulfur burps. These ingredients have antiflatulent effects.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of fennel seeds with 1 teaspoon of asafetida
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey to it and mix them well to have a good mixture
- Have this mixture twice per day to get rid of sulfur burps
7. Caraway Seeds
With proven antiflatulent and carminative agents, caraway seeds are helpful for sulfur burp relief.
- Take 1 tablespoon of caraway seeds to add to your daily salad
- Have it
Or, you can also consume these seeds directly.
8. Pepper, Dry Ginger, And Cardamom Seeds
It is said that sometimes sulfur burps may result in more significant discomfort associated with embarrassing social situations for sufferers. However, if you combine dry ginger, cardamom seeds, and pepper together, you will reduce the risk of such conditions. Cardamom is often mixed with other ingredients to relieve discomfort and nausea and vomiting.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of pepper, dry ginger, and cardamom seeds
- Grind them in a blender and add ¼ cup of water
- Mix them well and have this mixture after breakfast
- Repeat this routine after having lunch and dinner every day
9. Carrot And Bananas
You will no longer have sulfur burps if you combine carrot and bananas together, which will supply the required nutrients to nullify your stomach acids and gas in your digestive tract.
- Slice 3 carrots into small pieces
- Take a banana to mash it
- Add the prepared ingredients in a glass of water
- After mixing well, have this pulp
- Follow this method daily to lessen sulfur burps
- Chew a piece of ginger for several minutes
- Do this thrice per day to get relief soon
This method even helps prevent sulfur burps and other digestive problems, including indigestion.
- Put 2 pieces of ginger to a glass of water
- Boil it up and let the water cool down somehow
- After straining, have the tea
- Repeat this twice per day to get the best results
Method 3: Ginger and cinnamon
- Mix ½ teaspoon each of ground cinnamon and ground ginger together
- Add the prepared ingredients to 1 cup of hot water
- Let it steep for 10 minutes
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey to it
- Mix properly and have this preparation daily
Having a lot of fibers, apples have a capacity of taking hydrogen sulfide gas and toxins from organisms. Also, the fibers in apples may help you treat bacterial infections and boost your immune system. What is more, consuming this fruit will provide you with essential nutrients, vitamins, and minerals.
You can either consume this fruit or drink apple juice to get relief from sulfur burps.
12. Brown Rice
Similar to apples, brown rice also has a rich content of fibers. You can add this product to your daily meal as a separate product or take it a few times per day as medicine for sulfur burps treatment. Brown rice is not only good for your health but also your taste.
13. Olive Oil
Consume one teaspoon of olive oil a few times per day or simply add it to your meal. Besides, olive oil is an excellent dressing for fresh salads.
14. Pepto Bismol
This method is little known, but it works almost instantly. Pepto Bismol is bismuth subsalicylate – a stomach medication that is pink in color and is used for stomach aches. You can use Pepto Bismol to treat sulfur burps by relieving irritating issues in your digestive system. Taking this medication may help to relax your stomach and calm down sulfur burps. Also, it may collect sulfites and eliminate them out from the digestive tract. Pepto Bismol also comes with antimicrobial properties, which makes it an excellent treatment for digestive tract infections.
Last but not least effective when it comes to remedies for sulfur burps instantly and naturally is papaya. This fruit is good for not only sulfur burp but also other digestive problems thanks to special enzymes. You should add this product to your daily diet to take its advantage for digestion.
In addition to home remedies for sulfur burps above, there are some extra tips to keep in mind if you want to relieve this disease once and for all.
- Include fiber-rich foods to your daily diet to soothe your digestive system.
- It is important to minimize the consumption of foods having high sugar because they may result in gas accumulation in your stomach, leading to rotten egg burps.
- It is advisable to stop drinking alcohol while treating sulfur burps. Or at least, you should cut down the alcoholic drinks.
- Stay away from protein-rich foods such as eggs, poultry, red meat, etc.
- Consume more fresh fruit juices regularly, not the canned types.
- Drink plenty of water daily to protect your gastrointestinal system from being impacted by bacteria triggering sulfur burps.
- Have many smaller meals throughout the day instead of 2-3 large meals a day.
- Before cooking beans, soak them in water for 3 hours to remove soluble carbohydrate which is the culprit of gas in the stomach.
- Make sure that you chew foods carefully before swallowing to reduce gas production.
- Do not add artificial sweeteners to your diet as it aggravates the condition.
- Remove processed foods from your diet due to the high concentration of bacteria and parasites.
- Do exercise, such as yoga, walking, and jogging to treat the condition fast.
- Pinpoint the foods causing allergic reactions and eradicate them from your diet.
To sum up, although there are a lot of ways on how to get rid of sulfur burps, diagnosis of this disease will be essential to identify if this is a chronic issue. Hope that some of these 22 methods are helpful to you. Do let us know if this may resolve your issue and how effective our remedies are by dropping your words at the comment box below. For further simple but effective homemade health and beauty tips, do not hesitate to visit our How To Page.