Diarrhea is a terrible situation related to malfunctioned digestive system. It results in nonstop toilet sitting that you may get caught up in at least once in your life. If people would immediately look out the home remedies that is helpful to cure diarrhea, it is possible that it will not last that long. I know that the reason you are reading this article of “23 Natural Home Remedies For Diarrhea In Infants and Adults” is to learn how to treat diarrhea at home, but before that, you had better understand some basic information about this problem. That way, you can deal with the disease in a correct way.
What Is Diarrhea?
Diarrhea is the body’s defense mechanism to get rid of infections or microbes from the stomach. It occurs when the digestive system is malfunction properly. When the intestines push stools through the bowel before the water in the stool can be reabsorbed, diarrhea occurs. In consequence, your body throws out loose and watery stools two or more times a day. The body also eliminates fluid, electrolytes and nutrient which lead to fatigue and dehydration. It usually takes for 2 to 4 days for diarrhea to disappear completely, depend on its symptoms intensification and people’s physic. Diarrhea can affect persons of all ages. If left untreated, it can result in severe conditions, like blood pressure and kidney defection.
You can kill the germs causing diarrhea with various natural, home remedies below to relieve from the symptoms and combat the infection.
What Are The Causes Of Diarrhea?
- Food Allergy: many people cannot digest some kinds of food products as they might upset the stomach and as the results, the body tends to release those foods as much as possible as a symptom of diarrhea.
- Contaminated water: when people drink water from unknown source, their stomach might be angry of foreign intake and will react intestinal distress to throw out loose stools.
- Lactose intolerance: Some people become unable of digesting lactose which is present in milk or the other dairy products. It is said that dairy products contain lactose which is the main cause of chronic diarrhea. This is due to the enzyme insufficient in the body that helps digesting lactose. Cutting out these products may soothe the problem.
- Intestinal Diseases and Digestive Disorders: There are many types of intestinal diseases and digestive disorders such as ulcerative colitis, celiac disease and microscopic colitis. The common one is Irritable Bowel Syndrome. If you suffer from one of these diseases there are high chances that diarrhea might visit you quite often.
- Alcohol and caffeine: these stimulants can cause watery stools if you consume them very often. Quit your morning coffee and evening beer if you realize some symptoms relates to diarrhea. It’s better to reduce these habits for your daily life to prevent other diseases.
- Medications: Laxatives, antacids, antibiotics, drugs that contain magnesium and other anti-virals to treat diseases may cause unwanted side effect.
What Are The Symptoms Of Diarrhea?
- Loose and watery stools
- Fever and nausea
- Abdominal cramps which is painful
- Blood associated with stools
- Dehydration and weight loss
- Tummy bloating
- Infrequent bowels movement
When You Need To See Doctor?
If you suffer from diarrhea and realize those serious symptoms, visit the doctor immediately to get treatment options:
- You get high fever and streaks of blood in the stools,
- You get worse belly pain
- You feel dizzy that you might lose consciousness
- You encounter high dehydration
If it seldom happens in a year, it’s normal and you just have to adjust your diet. But when diarrhea lasts for weeks, you’ve got something that irritates your life. If your diarrhea takes longer than the usual for 3 – 4 days, it might be the right time to consult with your doctor. Do not hesitate to visit your doctor for medical treatments.
There, you have discovered some information about diarrhea, it is time to find out what the best natural home remedies for diarrhea are. Take a look at TrueRemedies.com!
Top 23 Effective Home Remedies For Diarrhea In Infants And Adults
Yogurt contains such live bacterial cultures as lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium, which is a beneficial remedy among home remedies for diarrhea. These live cultures restore the good bacteria in your intestine and remove the bad ones causing diarrhea  . Include 2 bowls of yogurt in your daily basis and notice the changes. To produce more benefits, choose kinds of yogurt that is not pre-flavored when you purchase from the store. For more result, you can mix or eat a banana with your yogurt to make it taste better.
2. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – Peppermint
Drinking peppermint tea can also be an effectively method to get rid of diarrhea symptoms and relieve stomach problems . This is because peppermint is often used to soothe an upset stomach or to aid digestion. It possesses a numbing and calming effect, and is usually used to treat skin irritation, headaches, nausea, diarrhea, menstrual cramps, anxiety associated with depression, and flatulence. Also, it is an ingredient in chest rubs which are used to treat the common cold’s symptoms. Peppermint has antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial properties. Methyl salicylate and menthol, two main ingredients in peppermint, have antispasmodic effects, with natural calming effects on gastrointestinal tract. According to some studies, using peppermint for indigestion and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is highly recommended. There are a few forms of peppermint you can use to treat diarrhea symptoms, be it tea, tincture, capsule or oil form. But this remedy is not suitable for infants or small children. Peppermint oil applied to the infants’ face could result in life-threatening breathing issues. Besides, peppermint tea might lead to a burning sensation in mouth.
You just use peppermint for diarrhea relief in older children or adults.
Follow these directions to brew peppermint tea in a correct way:
- Steep 2-3 peppermint leaves or a sprigs of mint into bowled water
- Add a little honey and sugar for better taste
- Strain this liquid and drink it slowly
Note: You can purchase peppermint tea bags at the store they also provide the same effects.
3. Clear Fluids
You might not notice, but your body often becomes dehydrated when you suffer diarrhea, therefore mineral water is essential that you should intake. In such case, at least eight to ten glasses of water are recommended as an excellent home remedy that will supply fluids and boost the blood circulation to help your body recover from diarrhea quickly. Find some rich sources of water from liquid food products such as coconut, vegetable soups, broths, clear sodas, and sports drinks that contains no caffeine. It’s better to have these machines that help you make great liquid food products at home such as food processor and blender.
- Avoid drinking caffeinated and alcoholic drinks
- Stop consuming acidic drinks such as tomato and citrus juice.
4. Jello Water
It’s a surprise that gelatin present in jello that rehydrates your body will give consistency to your stools and thus pause diarrhea prolonging. The tannins in jello water are helpful in exhibiting antibacterial and astringent effects in the digestive system. This remedy is preferred for both children and adult. That is why it is mentioned in this list of home remedies for diarrhea .
The appropriate method to make your own jello water is:
- Purchase jello powder in the market and follow its instruction to dissolve
- Dilute the solution with 2 cups of water and drink before it condenses.
5. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – BRAT Diet
BRAT diet tells you there are just 4 things necessary you need to include in your diet. BRAT stands for Banana, Rice, Applesauce and Toast. They are more likely to ease your intestine, which will help you fight against diarrhea effectively. Ripe banana and rice are supposed to be beneficial for your stomach  .
Apple sauce contains pectin, which decelerates the food to move over the gastro-intestinal tract. Plain toast digestion while suffering diarrhea helps destroy tainted fluids produced in your stomach. What you need to do is to add up small portions of each food products for you daily meal. You can mix rice with soups to make your flavor taste.
- It’s better to mix small amount of those ingredients to each other to reduce your stomach’s further digestive upset. Overloading could fight against its effect.
- Avoid putting butter in the toast as it might worsen the stomach.
6. Chamomile Tea
Among other types of tea that are helpful for the body, chamomile tea is specially used to relieve diarrhea since it reduces intestinal spasms and combats inflammation, promotes digestive system to help you recover from diarrhea as soon as possible. Chamomile contains antispasmodic property that can soothe abdominal pain, hemorrhoids, gastrointestinal conditions, diarrhea, and stomach disorders .
Here is what you need to do:
- Steep a teaspoon of chamomile flowers in boiled water for 10 minutes. You can brew the tea with chamomile tea bag instead. For better taste, add some fresh lemon juice or drink lemon water.
- Strain and drink this liquid for a few times every day.
7. Fenugreek Seeds
When it comes to home remedies for diarrhea, it is worth mentioning fenugreek seeds. Fenugreek seeds are a traditional cure for diarrhea, thanks to its high mucilage content that can fight off the bad effects of diarrhea immediately. Here are some suggestions for this remedy:
- Prepare one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds and grind them, or dissolve their powder
- Stir them well in a glass of water and drink this liquid.
Chew 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds or combine with a tablespoon of yogurt.
- You can mix fenugreek seeds with a teaspoon of yogurt and a little bit of cumin seeds which also help improve its overall taste. Consume this solution 3 times a day to relieve the symptoms.
- This remedy is not recommended for small children who suffer severe symptoms.
8. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – Apple Cider Vinegar
This source of rich properties is mentioned in various remedies of curing diseases. Apple Cider Vinegar is also well known to provide strong anti-diarrheal effects . Apple sauce contains pectin, which helps maintain soft bowel movements. You just need to follow these simple steps:
- Add one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water to eliminate tough flavor.
- Drink the mixture once or twice a day until your diarrhea subsides.
9. Black Seed Oil
Black seed oil is used for a lot of digestive treatments and diarrhea is no exception. It is one of little-known home remedies for diarrhea. In the history, black seed has been used for toothache, headache, nasal congestion, and intestinal worms. Also, it has been used for “pink eye”, parasites, etc. Today, it is used for treating different digestive tract conditions like colic, diarrhea, constipation, hemorrhoids, and gas, not to mention to respiratory conditions like allergies, asthma, bronchitis, cough, flu, swine flu, emphysema, and congestion.
Here is what suggested for an effective remedy using black seed oil:
- Mix a small amount of black seed oil with a cup of plain yogurt.
- Eat this mixture twice a day until such time when your condition is better.
In spite of its effectiveness for diarrhea relief, black seed oil also comes with some side effects if not used properly. So, it is recommended consulting your health care provider before using this remedy.
10. White Rice
Plain white rice is among the bland food that is considered to be helpful for bowels. It’s easy to digest therefore helps the stools become harder and decreases the amounts of stools. Eat small amounts of white rice as a part of your diet and gradually increase the amount of rice base on your severe diarrhea levels. Though it isn’t tasty if you eat plain rice without other flavors for your meal, it would be better not to add other food products so as to let this remedy perform its role smoothly .
Below is what advised to make rice water at home for children suffering diarrhea. Rice water helps soothing the intestinal inflammation as well as retaining fluids and electrolytes for the body especially infants and children:
- Boil ½ cup of brown rice with 3 cups of water in a pot
- Cook the rice on low heat and let it simmer for 30-40 minutes
- Strain the rice to obtain the rice water
- Consume this water throughout the day. You can keep the rest in the fridge for the next intake.
- It’s better to cook adequate amount of rice water and drink it for one day.
- Try to put this edible in your balance diet to accelerate diarrhea improvement and prevent from other diseases.
11. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – Litchi
Another option among home remedies for diarrhea is Litchi, or Litchee. This subtropical and tropical fruits is favorable to everyone to eat, however just a little know that it is also used in producing medicines to treat health problems including diarrhea. Lychees contain an high contents of vitamins, fiber and antioxidants. Flavanol-rich lychee fruit extract which is primarily found from lychee, has potent anti-inflammatory benefits. For healing diarrhea, you had better keep litchi seeds after eating and follow the remedy below:
- Prepare a handful of dried litchi seeds
- Grind them and boil in water for 10 minutes
- Strain and drink this concoction. Try this method for few days and you will surprise about its effects.
12. Carrot Soup
During diarrhea, our body losses number of vital elements and nutrients such as sodium, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sulfur and magnesium. Carrot is one kind of root vegetables that will help you tackle these problems. Beside of its well-known contribution to improve eye sight, carrot also contains other good properties such as antiseptic property, antioxidant agents, fiber content and lots of necessary nutrients that help diarrhea become cured faster and replenish the nutrition lost when suffering diarrhea. Moreover, it’ll sort out the other problems associated with diarrhea also, enhance immunity and prevent further loss too. Follow this instruction to cook carrot soup:
- Wash some carrots
- Add some 2-3 peeled and sliced carrots to a cup of boiling water.
- Now, lower the amount of heat until the carrots become simmer.
- Pour approximate 1 ½ cup of water and mash the carrots thoroughly and boil them again.
- Simmer it again for next 15 minutes and then pour it in some other glass through a strainer.
- Eat ¾ of a cup after every 20-30 minutes.
- Repeat the process until you recuperate from diarrhea.
- While cooking the carrots, place a little bit of salt to make the soup taste better.
- To let the good effect of carrot falls more effectively, you had better continue eating this soup for a few days even after the diarrhea.
Guava is among other fruits mentioned in this article to provide health power and commonly treat diarrhea and stomachache. Consume this kind of fruit daily or follow one of our remedies to get rid of diarrhea. This easy remedy using guava requires you to have guava fruits or its leaves at home. Here is how you do it:
- Put dried guava leaves, dried mandarin peel, green tea leaves and fresh ginger into boiled water for 10 minutes. In case of ingredients insufficiency, you can use dried guava, dried mandarin peel and baked ginger.
- Strain this mixture and drink it several times per day.
- Wash young guava leaves
- Chew them directly to keep hydrated and balance your stomach condition.
14. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – Blueberries
Blueberries are nutritious fruits and well-known as the light on healthy body. They contain anthocyanins and pectin contents that are believed to have rich properties of antibacterial and antioxidant  .
They will fight against tummy upset and destroy any symptoms leading to diarrhea. Below are simple home remedies for diarrhea using blueberries:
Chew a handful of dried blueberries to gain the best effect.
- Crush the berries
- Boil them in a cup of water in low heat for 10 minutes
- Let it cool and drink once a day. Repeat the process till the symptoms subside completely.
Along with other root vegetables, potato provides rich sources of nutrition and also contains inflammatory property. This food is great in starch that will increase bulks to the stool, improve digestive system and cure diarrhea fast. The solution with potato for diarrhea is:
- Wash 2 potatoes, peel and slice them into different cubes
- Put these pieces of potatoes into boiled water
- Strain and let them cool, add some salt
- Drink it through the day and repeat process till you symptoms disappear
Banana can perform its function well even if you eat it alone or mix with other components to combat stomach disorders including diarrhea, thanks to its high pectin and potassium content. These properties help absorb liquid in the intestines, reduce water in your stools and replace the electrolytes that your body consumes as the consequence of frequent bowel movements. Eat two bananas a day, especially for breakfast. Ensure the banana you eat is ripe to preserve its rich source in fiber, electrolyte, and potassium and to prevent unwanted problems with the digestive system. For better effect, you can mix it with other ingredients. You might take a look of this remedy below:
- Grind the banana; add salts and 1 teaspoon of tamarinds juice into it.
- Mix well and eat this solution to see the improvement.
17. Avoid Fructose Fruits
Despite a significant amount of water that fruits may supply to your body, avoiding some fructose fruits during the onset of diarrhea might be a good idea. Fruits that are rich of fructose will upset your digestive system and severe your diarrhea symptoms. Some fruits such as dried peaches, dried apricots, cherries, pears, grapes, dry prunes, blackberries and watermelon should not be consumed in this period. Likewise, avoiding food products with high contents of fructose is also recommended.
18. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – Avoid Dairy Products
During the onset of diarrhea, our body temporarily becomes lactose intolerance mostly due to the lack of the enzyme in the body that sooths digesting lactose. Daily food products such as milk, butter and cheese might aggravate your condition. Even if you don’t have enzyme problem, stay away from these dairy products is highly recommended if you are suffering from diarrhea, and they are only available if you stomach has settled down and your condition is better.
Note: Alternative product you could use during this period of time can be soymilk as it is beneficial for maintaining digestive system and bone health.
19. Keep Clean
Keeping clean is one of the easiest home remedy thus very important to directly combat the bacteria that possibly trigger the disease.
- Prevent eating raw foods, street foods and be careful with sea foods as many people get allergic to them.
- Wash vegetables under clean water and boil them thoroughly. If you eat raw vegetables, wash them at least 4 times under fresh water. You had better put some salts to ensure the hygienic condition.
- Wash your hand carefully before meal and after going out from toilet.
- Never put dirty fingers on your mouth, this is specially advised for children.
Flour is concerned another home remedies for diarrhea as this powerful ingredient provides nutrition from roots, seeds and cereal grains. What you need to do is:
- Mix flour in a cup of water. Whip it thoroughly and add some salt
- Stir it well and drink this concoction straight to reduce symptoms.
21. Salt And Sugar
You should modify your daily diet list with the addition of more sugar and salt especially when you suffer from diarrhea. This solution works best for soothing your digestion, maintain hydrating and balance electrolytes, so that diarrhea symptoms will not take place. Remedy with these two natural ingredients is simple and you just have to follow steps below:
- Boil a glass of water and let it cool down
- Add ½ teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of sugar in the water.
- Stir it thoroughly until salt and sugar are dissolved
- Drink it immediately for several times each day and see the result.
22. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – Ginger
Ginger is known as another effective treatment that you should consider, especially for food poisoning, abdominal pain and cramps developed during diarrhea. Associated with anti-inflammatory properties, ginger can soothe frustrated bowels and accelerate digestive process. Here is what advised to use ginger as remedy against diarrhea:
Method 1: Ginger tea making
- Prepare a cup of boiled water
- Put a piece of ginger and let it cool, then strain the mixture
- Add a small amount of honey in it for better flavor.
Method 2: Straight digestion
- Grate a small piece of ginger
- Mix it with a teaspoon of honey
- Eat this mixture directly for twice a day to obtain best result.
- Even if you are happened to be sensitive with its strong taste, avoid drinking water so that you won’t lose the power effects of this remedy.
- Consuming powdered ginger/ ginger supplements can be helpful for people who have strong ginger resistance. You can add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon or cumin powder to create some tastes.
Reasons why we should add garlic in our diarrhea remedies list are due to its strong antibacterial and anti-parasitic properties. The potassium content in garlic also allows electrolytes in the body fluids to be balance. As such, diarrhea typical symptoms such as abdominal cramps and intestinal inflammation are also relieved. Supply garlic in your daily food and consume 3-5 grams of garlic per day to get rid of diarrhea.
The above-mentioned home remedies for diarrhea are claimed to be able to reduce the symptoms of heavy or prolonged periods. Choose some of them rather than nonprescription medicine and alternate them in your treating to see how effective they are. If you have any feedback for our article of “Top 23 Natural Home Remedies For Diarrhea In Infants & Adults” introduced in Home Remedies Category, do not hesitate to drop your words below this post. We will reply as soon as we could.