Tooth infection is mainly caused by complications of tooth decay. It is an oral disease which is quite dangerous if it cannot be treated effectively. Studies indicated that the deaths from oral infections are increasing significantly. It is the result of not fully treated. Therefore, it is best to take good care of your teeth by brushing your teeth and flossing properly instead of waiting until your teeth become infected. Here we provide you with 11 out of best natural home remedies for tooth infections, toothache, and swelling. Let’s check out!
There is no science-based evidence for the following homemade recipes. The recipes we've focused on are traditional home remedies, so always consult your doctor and check out your health condition regularly.
- 21 Natural & Effective Home Remedies For Tooth Abscess Pain
- 16 Effective Home Remedies For Tooth Decay Odor And Pain
- Top 90 Effective Home Remedies For Toothache Pain And Swelling
1. Chrysanthemum Juice
Chrysanthemum must have been no stranger to us. It is not only a kind of flower, but it is also considered as an herb possessing many effects in healing wounds. For many years, both dried and fresh chrysanthemums are used for processing tea. The active ingredient in chrysanthemum essential oil is bisabolol, which is considered to have anti-irritant, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial properties. How to take advantage of chrysanthemum? Follow these steps below:
- Clean 5 daisy petals
- Put the petals into a bowl of hot water
- Let it steep for 5-10 minutes
- Squeeze this water to drink
- Use regularly for 1 month, 2-3 days
Garlic is a popular spice that gains popularity thanks to its multitude of uses. The delicious and tasty dishes are indispensable for garlic. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, a healthy adult can consume about 4 cloves of garlic a day, and each clove is equivalent to 1 gram. Whether you consume garlic in any form, such as flour, raw, cooked, or oil, they all provide surprising health benefits .
TrueRemedies Partner Solutions
Need a Help from the Leading Expert Online, Available 24/7?
They’re all here and ready to answer your questions online or by phone. Keep asking questions until you get the answer you need.
Garlic is both highly inflammatory and antiseptic. The composition of garlic contains a lot of antibiotics named allicin that help fight the virus and pathogenic bacteria.
Follow the instructions below:
- Remove garlic skin and wash cloves of garlic thoroughly
- Take one to two garlic cloves
- Put a fresh garlic clove in the infected tooth
- Crush garlic by your teeth
- Chew for 30 seconds
- Split it out
- Resin your mouth with warm water
To minimize and remove the residual odor, remember to add a few drops of clove oil to warm water and use it to rinse your mouth.
Caution: Garlic is considered to be a spice commonly known for its beneficial effect on human health. But if you eat garlic improperly, it can bring about health risks:
- Risk of poisoning: This is probably the most serious risk that can be encountered when eating garlic. When garlic is poisoning, in addition to leading to discomfort in the stomach, it can also lead to death. Accordingly, the risk of garlic poisoning often occurs when the garlic is soaked in oil at room temperature or stored for too long in the refrigerator.
- Side effects with prescription drugs: Garlic can interfere with certain prescription medications, especially with some anticoagulants used during surgery.
- Causes allergy: Like most other foods, some people may have allergies or the body does not tolerate garlic. If a minor allergy happens, garlic causes heartburn, bloating, etc. If more serious, it can be life-threatening. When allergic garlic is suspected, you should consult a food allergy specialist.
Allicin in garlic can also irritate or even damage the digestive tract. Therefore, just eat with the amount of garlic in moderation, do not overeat raw garlic, and if you suspect any irritation, consult your doctor.
Ginger is said to be an indispensable cooking spice. It not only reduces the smell of food but also alleviates many potentially harmful ingredients in food. Ginger contains both nutritional and medical value, and it respectively acts like a drug and a raw material that helps foods become delicious. Ginger is antibacterial, so it can heal infections and small wounds and relieve redness and swelling associated with tooth infection.
How to do:
- Take a fresh ginger
- Do not peel off ginger skin; just wash clearly with water
- Chop ginger into small slices
- Put slices on the infected tooth
- Bite to extract juice from the ginger bulb
- Shake the ginger juice around the tooth with your tongue
- Chew these pieces of ginger until they begin to soften and smooth
- Continue chewing for five minutes, and then swallowing or spitting ginger powder into a tissue paper towel to remove.
- Apply this method one day at bedtime before going to bed is the best.
- Repeat the process from 7 to 10 days
Method 2: Ginger Tea
If you cannot tolerate chewing of fresh ginger pieces, have a look at this tip of using ginger tea for tooth infection below:
How to do:
- Place sliced ginger in the bottom of the cup
- Pour boiling water on a glass of water containing ginger to form a ginger tea
- Soak in hot water for at least 20 minutes.
- Drink ginger tea and clean around the infected area in your mouth before swallowing
- Continue to apply this measure for several days to experience the effectiveness
The thought that honey can cure tooth infection seems strange because the bacteria in plaque causing tooth decay needs sugar to survive and multiply. However, according to many researchers, honey can prevent the growth of plaque bacteria and reduce the amount of acid it produces. Thus, pure honey has been declared food against tooth decay. This treatment not only helps the breath have no smells but also prevents gum disease, cavities.
- Prepare a glass of warm water every morning when waking up
- Dissolve 2 tablespoons of honey and cinnamon powder in warm water
- The mixture is dissolved
- Gargle with this mixture
- Resin mouth with warm water
Caution: If you use honey to treat tooth infection, you have to persist and regularly perform in order to gain high effectiveness. And remember to gargle with warm water after use this mixture
5. Olive Oil
We often know about olive oil as functions to smooth hair or whiten skin. However, not many people know about the treatment of abscessed tooth using olive oil combined with clove oil. Its effect will surprise you because olive oil contains oleocanthal, tyrosol, etc., giving good anti-inflammatory properties while clove oil has an analgesic effect. Please follow the instructions below to remove the tooth infection immediately:
- Prepare 50ml olive oil and 100ml clove oil
- Mix 2 types of oil together with a ratio of 1 teaspoon olive oil and 2 teaspoons of clove oil
- Stir until a homogenous mixture is obtained.
- Use a cotton ball soaked into the paste to apply your tooth
- Leave for 5 minutes. The aching will be dismissed
- Repeat the process for 3-4 times a day whenever the recurring pain happens; it will make you feel much better.
6. Piper Lolot
Piper lolot is one of the natural remedies for tooth infection. This kind of vegetable contains essential oil named benzyl acetate, which is highly antibacterial, reduces inflammation, and effectively alleviates toothache pain.
However, if done improperly, the effect you get will be almost minor. Hereunder, we provide you with two best ways of using piper lolot to treat tooth infection:
Method 1: Leaves Of Piper Lolot
- Wash 5 piper lolot leaves through and through
- Extract leaves to get piper lolot juice
- Put this piper lolot juice into a bowl
- Add a tablespoon of salt to the bowl
- Mix them well together
- Filter the paste to get pure juice
- Gargle several times a day, each time from 4-5 minutes.
Method 2: Root Of Piper Lolot
- Pound 5 clean piper lolot leaves
- Add a little salt while grinding
- Extract the paste to get enough one tablespoon of piper lolot juice
- Use a cotton ball soaked with the juice
- Apply on the infected tooth
- Repeat the process 3 to 4 times per day to see the result
Turmeric is often referred to as an “herbal medicine” to help women become more beautiful or cure some diseases of the digestive tract, bones, etc. Nevertheless, curing tooth infection with turmeric is not well known and regularly applied. Thanks to the analgesic effect and the ability to inhibit bacteria, turmeric can be applied to reduce toothache and tooth infection at home quickly. This method uses pure natural turmeric.
Turmeric is very benign and does not bring any side effects. Science has shown that the main ingredient of turmeric is curcumin, which a high antimicrobial and antiseptic and can be comparable to many antibiotics. Curcumin is widely used in medicines that can kill and prevent cavities.
How to do:
- Mix turmeric powder with a little water
- Apply the composite to the infected tooth
- Leave until aching pain is relieved
- Rinse mouth with water
- Take fresh turmeric.
- Peel off turmeric skin and wash clearly with water.
- Chop turmeric into small slices
- Soak with alcohol for about a week, and then use it
- Use this mixture gargle 2-3 times a day to relieve toothache
Apply dried turmeric powder directly to the tooth decay. Remember to carry out whenever the toothache recurs
8. Cold Compress
Putting an ice pack on your mouth may decrease the condition of tooth infection. It also lessens swelling and pain. What you need to do is:
- Wrap an ice pack in a towel
- Place it outside the mouth for about 10 minutes.
- In case you feel it is too cold, you should remove the ice pack
9. Tea Bag
Drinking a lot of tea causes staining on the teeth, in addition to fading away from the original tooth color. However, not many people know that using tea bags can help with dental diseases. Black tea has astringent tannins that may reduce swelling and offer you temporary relief from the pain. To cure tooth infection by using tea bags, do the steps below:
- Place the tea bag in hot water
- Let it cool at room temperature
- Place the tea bag on the infected tooth for a few hours or overnight.
- Wash your mouth with a warm salt-water solution
- Repeat the process for a couple of weeks
Salt has many healing effects, one of which is a potent antiseptic and inflammatory properties. So, you can treat tooth infection at home with a simple, easy salt solution.
Method 1: Gargle With Salt Water:
- Mix a little salt (do not too much) with warm water
- Gargle for 2 minutes and remove
In addition to dismissing tooth decay, gargling with salt water daily will help keep the teeth healthy and clean, removing bacteria that exist on the tooth surface.
Method 2: Salt With Ginger
Salt and ginger have the ability to inhibit many types of bacteria so we should combine both when treating tooth infection. How to do:
- Crush ginger to make a paste
- Add a little salt into the paste
- Put this mixture into a cloth.
- Squeeze to collect fresh juice
- Apply this ginger salt juice evenly all over the infected tooth
- Leave it for 10 minutes.
- Rinse off with warm water.
- Repeat the treatment twice a week for better results
11. Change Eating Habits
Boost eating foods have a reservoir of fiber, vitamins, and calcium, especially vitamin C. Vitamin C plays a very important role in protecting the body from illness. People who are adequately supplied with vitamin C will have a healthier immune system than those without or lack vitamin C. Tooth infection is caused by bacteria. Hence, increasing vitamin C from vegetables, fruits, and vegetables are indispensable for everyone.
Bear in mind that you should limit your consumption of sweets, sugar, hard candy before going to bed and stay away from soft foods with high stickiness such as gum, raisins, dried fruit, etc. It is because such kind of foods may create a favorable environment for bacteria to grow strongly and actively, producing high levels of harmful acids.
Everyone should pay attention to oral health regularly with the aim of detecting and treating decay in time. It will help to have an appropriate dental treatment to prevent tooth decay from occurring. It is necessary to visit a dentist every 6 months to detect and receive timely treatment for dental problems. When it comes to home remedies for tooth infection, this is a basic step you need to follow.
Thank you for taking your time reading the above-mentioned home remedies for tooth infection. Among those methods, you can choose the most suitable way for yourself to experience how fully effective they are. In case you want to contribute any comments about our article, you can feel free to give us your point of view. We always try our best to reply to your response as soon as possible. Thank you!