The National Women’s Health Information Center showed that about 20 million Americans are undergoing some types of thyroid disorders, including goiters. Goiter, also called as thyroid goiter, is the enlargement of the thyroid gland. This condition is common in the US and could happen to everyone, but more commonly in women.
If you are currently one of them, what you can do to protect your problem from getting worse? In the article below, you will learn about natural home remedies for goiter pain and swelling relief. However, first and foremost, it is essential to acknowledge some information about this condition to pinpoint it exactly.
What Is Goiter?
Thyroid gland disease (usually called goiter) is an enlarged volume of the thyroid gland that is visible or invisible to the naked eyes. People suffering from goiter can usually be painful at their neck as well as be tired if their goiter is large. They also can cough for no definite reasons and find it difficult to breathe.
This health problem could happen if there is an underproduction or overproduction or correct production of the thyroid hormones. Regardless of the problem, the availability of goiters means that something abnormal is available that leads to the enlargement of thyroid gland.
Sometimes, goiters might happen with thyroid nodules. They are small lumps forming on thyroid gland and might be filled with fluid or solid. Usually, they are not harmful, yet sometimes they may result in hyperthyroidism or become malignant.
TrueRemedies Partner Solutions
Need a Help from the Leading Expert Online, Available 24/7?
They’re all here and ready to answer your questions online or by phone. Keep asking questions until you get the answer you need.
What Causes Goiter?
There are a lot of different causes of goiter. One of the main causes of goiter is lack of iodine in the body. In this case, supplying your body with enough iodine can cure disease. Goiter is a disease which is very difficult to treat because its agent is related to the nervous system, and thyroid gland will absorb iodine from food and nutrients as normally. Therefore, when the thyroid gland lacks iodine, it reduces hormone production process. To compensate for the hormone production process, the thyroid gland needs to increase in size, causing the thyroid gland to expand. As a result, goiter is formed.
Other factors that may result in an enlargement of thyroid gland include:
- Hashimoto’s disease:
- Multinodular goiter
- Thyroid cancer
- Grave’s disease
What Are The Symptoms Of Goiter?
There are a lot of symptoms of thyroid gland disease and goiter; however, some symptoms often can appear such as:
- The throat is tight
- You feel it difficult to breathe
- You have coughed for a long time
- You find it difficult to swallow anything
- As result of an enlarged thyroid gland, the swelling at your neck is easy to find by naked eyes; especially as shaving, making up and cleaning the face
- Hoarseness disappears around a week
- Wheezing 
What Are Risk Factors?
A goiter can happen to anybody. It might present at any time in our lives. There are some common risk factors that trigger the formation of goiters, which are :
- Being female: Women tend to be at higher risks of thyroid disorders as well as goiters than men.
- Medical history: A family or personal history of autoimmune disease might provoke your risk of goiters.
- Age: It is said that people over 40 are more likely to suffer from this thyroid disorder.
- Iodine shortage: If you are living in the areas where iodine is supplied inadequately and do not have the ability to access to iodine supplements, you will be more likely to get goiters.
- Menopause and pregnancy: Thyroid issues are more common during pregnancy as well as menopause.
- Radiation exposure: If you go through radiation treatments to your chest or neck area or if you are in contact with radiation in a nuclear test, facility, or accident, chances are you may suffer from goiters.
Basically, people usually use medicines to treat goiter, regardless of the size or symptoms of goiters. However, in this article we would like to introduce you some tips based on natural ingredient to support for goiter treatment at your home. Please read through our article “25 Natural Home Remedies For Goiter Pain And Swelling Relief” now for further information. Take a look at TrueRemedies.com. However, before taking these remedies, please sure to consult your doctor.
Top 25 Effective And Natural Home Remedies For Goiter Pain And Swelling Relief
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has been commonly and safely used in foods and as a traditional remedy for many diseases, including goiters. The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are various, but what makes health practitioners surprised is its effectiveness in stimulating the absorption of iodine by the human body.
An important quality of apple cider vinegar is mildly acidic. It helps balance pH level which plays the most crucial role in the body. Especially, apple cider vinegar can support the human body to maintain alkaline level, thereby preventing energy reduction, minimizing infections, and increasing the resistance. These make the iodine absorption more easily and treat thyroid gland swelling more effectively .
All you need to do is very simple as below:
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- Prepare ½ table spoon honey
- Pour mixture of apple cider vinegar and honey into a glass of warm water
- Drink it once in the early morning before eating
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, 1 tomato, 1 clove of garlic, 1/3 onion, a little bit bean sprouts, 3 tablespoons of water, 1/3 tablespoon salt
- Boil an egg, then cut thin boiled egg, tomato and onion
- Pour water into bowl, add apple cider vinegar and salt
- Chop garlic up and put it in mixed water
- Add the prepared egg, tomato, onion
- Eat it after 3 minutes, use this salad once every day
2. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is also listed one of the best home remedies for goiter pain. It is estimated that about 50% of the fat content in this natural oil is a fat which is rarely found in nature named lauric acid. The high level of lauric acid in coconut oil can be converted into monolaurin within the human body. The antimicrobial, anti-protozoa, and antiviral capabilities of monolaurin support the metabolism process better. It also helps iodine be absorbed faster in the body. In addition, the anti-inflammatory substance of coconut oil can decrease swelling of thyroid gland. Actually, coconut oil cannot cure a thyroid problem by itself, but it can help people with low thyroid function by stimulating energy and metabolism. Due to this reason, coconut oil has been a natural blessing to a lot of people with goiters.
Try to use virgin coconut oil in your daily meal to fight goiter pain .
The steps you can do to utilize this oil for supporting your goiter are simple:
- Add coconut oil to your drinks such as hot water, coffee, milk…
- Drink it once a day
- Add coconut oil to the smoothies which you like
- Drink it once a day
- Use coconut oil as cooking oil in your kitchen every day
A lot of sufferers of hypothyroid diseases, including goiters, are deficient in iodine. Thus, taking more of this mineral can help control symptoms of goiters naturally. It will help your thyroid produce more essential hormones.
Actually, iodine is a key mineral which can help convert and release the thyroid hormones. However, in the typical Western diet, foods that are rich in iodine are limited. Thus, it is important to add iodine-rich foods to your diet, namely raw dairy, fermented grains, wild-caught fish such as tuna. You can also harness the benefits of iodine supplements in the low doses in case you have fatigue, cold body temperature, breast tenderness. Nonetheless, remember that if you take too much iodine supplements, it can adversely affect and may aggravate your thyroid problem symptoms. Thus, seek for your doctor’s help to know the right dosage directions in case you are not sure.
So, how much iodine is enough for body? The amount of iodine suggested to be used is described below:
- Adults: 150 micrograms
- Kids with age from 1 to 6 years old: 50 micrograms
- Kids with age from 7 to 12 years old: 90 micrograms
From the content above, we can see that consuming adequate iodine is very important for your life.
4. Bentonite Clay
Next, you can use bentonite clay as one of the excellent home remedies for goiter symptoms. It seems to be strange when some people say that bentonite clay may be used for goiter treatment; nevertheless, it is a truth. The function of bentonite clay is to “find out” and “remove” the toxins (included the heavy metal) in your body. Besides, a lot of nutrients contained in bentonite clay help reduce swollen thyroid gland . Actually, natural therapists recommend goiter sufferers to detoxify their thyroid gland for quick results.
Here is all what you need to do:
- Take bentonite clay with 2-3 teaspoon into the bowl.
- Pour water in bowl below to mix until making a paste.
- Apply the prepared mixture on your neck in 5-7 minutes
- Then, clean it..
- Use this method twice- 3 times a week until reducing thyroid gland swelling.
According to Oriental Medicine, watercress has the cooling characteristic, contains vitamin C, A, B1, B2, many minerals and fiber… which help prevent oxidation, antioxidants, increasing resistance of body. Especially, the high level of iodine in watercress helps treat goiter effectively .
We will share you know some of the simple ways of using watercress for decreasing goiter and making you feel better.
- Wash watercress and let it dry
- Take watercress and enough water in blender machine to grind, then leach and drink it
- Do that 3-4 times one week to obtain high effective
- Take a handful of the washed watercress and a glass of water
- Use blender to crush the watercress with enough water until make a paste.
- Apply it on the neck and let dry and relax.
- Clean it with plain water
- Do this method 3 times every week to help you feel better
- Wash watercress with plain water and let it dry
- Then, take watercress to dip in boiled water
- Chop a branch of garlic up
- After that, mix watercress, garlic, salt and vinegar
- Eat it 3-4 times a week
6. Dandelion Leaves
Dandelion leaves have been known to have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. The leaves of this herb are used to treat many different diseases in Ayurveda for a long time ago. For goiter, you can use the grinded dandelion leaves mixed together with butter to reduce swelling in the neck due to thyroid enlargement.
You can use dandelion leaves in simple ways as follows:
- Grind dandelion leaves into blender. If necessary, you can use some water.
- Now mix the dandelion with 2 teaspoons of butter.
- Heat the mixture of butter and dandelion and then glue on the neck when it is warm; do not let the mixture too hot because you can burn.
- Leave about 20 minutes and relax
- Do it daily during at least 2 weeks.
7. Juice Recipes
Juice recipes are one of worth-trying home remedies for goiter relief. Some juices which are useful in this case are lemon juice and pineapple juice. Firstly, lemon juice is considered as one of the effective home remedies for goiter. More specifically, the anti-inflammatory compound is rich in lemon and garlic. In addition, the component of lemon and garlic can remove any accumulated toxins which cause infections in your body. Secondly, pineapple has the cooling characteristic and contains a lot of vitamins, minerals and fiber, etc. Thus, it supports in treatment of goiter. If you use pineapple daily, the goiter symptoms such as cough can be cured.
Here is an easy suggestion for you to do:
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, 1 branch of garlic and 1 teaspoon honey
- Chop the garlic up and mix it with the lemon juice and honey.
- Drink this in the morning
- You should use this drinks every day in the morning before eating any thing
Method 2: Pineapple Juice
- Prepare pineapple, carrot and tomato
- Put ½ pineapple, 1/3 carrot and ½ tomato into blender to crush them with enough water until getting a smooth juice
- Drink this juice one a day; you will feel difference in 2 weeks.
8. Motherwort Tea
Basing on Oriental Medicine, Motherwort is rich in ursolic acid. This acid helps balance pH level as well as removes toxins in the body. A lot of researches also conclude that using motherwort tea helps support in treating goiter quickly . It has antimicrobial and antioxidant effects and could decrease inflammation. You can refer to the method below to treat goiter at home:
- Prepare dried motherwort leaves or powder, ginger, honey and water
- Boil the water and pour it into a glass
- Take a teaspoon of motherwort to add it into the glass
- Wait for 3 minutes, then add ½ teaspoon of honey and ginger in glass above
- Drink it and relax
- You can use this method every day during 2 months; you will see that the goiter symptom was reduced.
Note: Motherwort is rather safe for the majority of people if taken by mouth properly. However, there are also possible side effects, namely stomach irritation, diarrhea, and uterine bleeding. Pregnant women should avoid using this herb as it might cause a miscarriage.
Remember the right dose of motherwort will depend on some factors like the user’s health, age, and other conditions. Consult your doctor before using for safety.
Maybe you don’t know that most of Japanese have goiter-free. A research said that one of reason as a lot of kelp was been using in Japanese meal. The high-level of iodine in kelp help normalize the thyroid gland operation. Thus, we recommend you should use kelp to treat and prevent the goiter .
The easy steps you can do to carry out the kelp are as follows:
- Prepare the kelp powder
- Put a teaspoon of powder into a glass of your smoothie which you like
- Drink it every day you can feel the goiter symptom become better
Also known as Kanchanara, Kachnar is indigenous to India and is a common Ayurvedic remedy for goiter. It is also listed as one of the best home remedies for goiter. As basing on practitioner’s suggestion, this herb reduces the thyroid gland swelling, adjusts the thyroid hormone and increases the body’s resistance .
What you have to do is very easy, the detail is as below:
- Take 2 tablespoons kachnar bark powder, 160 ml water, ½ teaspoon ginger power
- Add the kachnar powder to water and boil this until the concoction reduces to 40% of its original volume.
- Strain and divide the concoction into two and add ginger powder.
- Drink one portion early in the morning, before breakfast and drink the second part in the evening.
- Repeat this every day.
11. Moringa (Malunggay)
In general, moringa leaves contain 46 antioxidants, vitamin C and A which are important and good substances for human health. These antioxidants help neutralize the destructive effects of free radicals; thereby it protects us from cancer and degenerative diseases such as macular degeneration and cystic fibrosis. And if use it in treating goiter, the antioxidants above will reduce swelling of thyroid gland.
You need to do something as below:
- Prepare moringa leave or powder and water
- Boil water
- Pour water into a pot
- Take 1 teaspoon moringa leave or powder above into hot water
- Let it during 10 minutes
- Drink it after straining
- You can use it everyday
- Prepare fresh moringa leaves, meat, salt and water
- Soak moringa leaves
- Boil water in a pan
- Take meat in a pan
- After boiling water again, add moringa leave, salt to sure good taste.
- Eat this soup 3 times per week
- Prepare a little bit fresh moringa leaves, an egg, salt and water
- Soak moringa leaves
- Boil water in a pan
- After boiling water again, add moringa leave
- After 2 minutes, take enough salt to sure good taste
- Then, add an egg and stir
- Eat this soup 3 times per week to obtain high effectively
Turmeric provides many healthy nutrients such as protein, fiber, niacin, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, sodium, potassium, calcium, copper, iron, magnesium and zinc. Moreover, turmeric consists of substances of antioxidants, antiviral, antimicrobial, anti-fungal, anti-cancer, mutagenic and anti-inflammatory. Therefore, in some case it can be used to replace a medicine. Thus, it is not strange when turmeric can reduce swelling of thyroid gland and treat goiter .
What you need to do as preparing some easily available ingredients as follows:
- Start with ¼ – ½ teaspoon of turmeric a day for a week and if no side effects increase your intake. The recommended daily dose is 1 teaspoon daily.
- You can mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric with the following drinks: Honey (Diluted), milk, orange juice
Flaxseed is considered as one of great home remedies for goiter swelling and pain that you should put into your pocket. Flaxseed is rich in nutrients and antioxidants; it can inhibit the growth of tumor cells, and regulates endocrine in the body, which is good for the treatment of thyroid disease such as goiter, inflammation thyroid … In addition, the anti-inflammation substance included in flaxseed has been known as reducing the condition of thyroid gland effectively and safety.
Only take a little time to prepare Flax seeds for goiter
- Take 2 tablespoons of flaxseed powder
- Add enough water
- Stick to the neck
- Leave for 20-25 minutes
- Clean it
- You can use 3 times a week.
Goiter causes the disorders of thyroid hormone. When the thyroid gland is unstable, it can adversely affect to patients such as suffering thyroid gland swelling. Exercise helps the body increase thyroid hormone regulation. However, you need to have appropriate method to to exercise effectively and safely and help the healthy body. You can get the endocrine doctor’s advice or can refer to some exercises as below:
- To improve the health and balance the nervous system for people with thyroid dysfunction, yoga and dance combined the exercises by using exercise equipment such as suits … very consistent and can obtain high effectively. Each training session should include a quick walk within 15 ~ 20 minutes.
- You should do exercise for medium-intensity physical exercise and long-term such as running, cycling, aerobics.
Garlic reduces swelling and promotes the production of glutathione and molecule as well as helps maintain a healthy thyroid gland. Garlic also contains antioxidants and active ingredients that support cellular function .
Everything that you need to do is very easy as following:
Use garlic when cooking or chew 3-4 garlic cloves each morning to prevent goiter.
- Put several cloves of garlic in soup or fried dishes
- Eat it every day.
- Chew some garlic cloves in the morning
16. Green Tea
Another good food for goiter is green tea. Green tea consists of thyroid-mediated supplement, antioxidants and fluoride. This substances above help protect thyroid gland from the effects of toxins .
Please use green tea as method below for goiter, you will feel better in few days.
- Prepare a green tea bag, ginger and a cup of hot water
- Place the tea bag in boiled water during 7~10 minutes.
- Remove the tea bag, add ginger, and stir it well.
- Drink it and relax.
- You should drink this tea every day before eating. It will help you treat goiter effectively.
- Prepare fresh tea leaves, honey and water
- Boil water in a pot
- Add some tea leaves into the pot during 3-5 minutes
- After that, take honey into the pot until the taste is good for you.
- Drink it 3 times a day before eating; the goiter symptom will reduce within 2 months.
17. Lemon Tea
The component of lemon consists of a high level of mildly acidic, which helps reduce the thyroid gland swelling. Thus, drinking lemon tea is really one of effective home remedies for goiter relief.
- Prepare 2 teaspoon of lemon juice, water and 1/3 teaspoon of honey, 1 branch of ginger
- Slice ginger
- Pour water into a glass, add lemon, ginger and honey
- Use this method once a day within 2 months, you will feel difference
A long time ago, people used Bugleweed as ingredient to treat thyroid gland swelling, not to mention the ability to handle breast pain, edema, weak heart, etc. Bugleweed is rich in phenolic acids, flavonoid and tannins. The substances above can restrict the thyroid stimulating hormones (THS), thereby controlling goiter disease. However, be sure to make an appointment with your doctor to get the advice before using bugleweed .
- Prepare 1 bugleweed tea bag, 1 teaspoon honey and a cup of hot water
- Soak tea bag above in hot water
- Wait until tea becomes cool, add 1 teaspoon honey and drink it.
- Do this method 3~4 times a week
19. Barley Water
Barley consists of antioxidants which help enhance the immunity of body. It supports the goiter disease treatmentdirective. Especially, barley also has function of removing toxins in body. Therefore, barley can be used as a drink to treat goiter and reduce thyroid gland swelling .
You only prepare some easy steps wrote as below:
- Prepare barley, sugar with ratio 1:2:2, and 1 lemon and water
- Slice lemon
- Wash barley and put it into a pan, then add enough water,
- Strain barley after boiling the mixture above
- Continue adding water into another pan with the strained barley
- Add the lemon, sugar until dissolving sugar into mixture
- Drink it after straining
- You can use this drink every day
Note: you can store this drink in refreeze around 3 days if having no time to prepare it daily.
20. Gotu Kola
Similar to kachnara, gotu kola is an effective Ayurvedic home remedy that works against goiter symptoms. However, this herb is not recommended for pregnant women.
Just simply take 2 gotu kola capsules with water every day until you get good results.
Beetroot has betalain pigments which possess antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Thus, it is considered one of best home remedies for goiter pain and swelling as well as other thyroid disorders.
- Take fresh beetroots to boil and steam or bake lightly
- Season and have them regularly to get good results
22. Sorrel Leaves
Also known as spinach dock, this plant has cooling effects and anti-inflammatory, thereby decreasing swelling caused by goiters .
All you need to do is:
- Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil to ½ cup of sorrel leaves
- Add some water into to create a good paste
- Apply this paste over your neck while lying down
- Leave it there for 20 minutes before rinsing it off
- Repeat this routine once per day
23. Get Enough Zinc And Selenium
In addition to iodine, selenium is also essential in controlling goiter symptoms. Therefore, you ought to consume plenty of selenium-rich foods such as spinach, yellowfin tuna, Brazil nuts, canned sardines, halibut, grass-fed beefs, beef liver or turkey.
Also, do not forget to take enough zinc as well as B vitamins (particularly vitamin B12) as they are essential for the health of thyroid and might be shortage in your diet, particularly if you do not regularly consume animal foods. Go for asparagus, Brussels sprouts, chickpeas, green peas, flaxseeds, sesame seeds, mushrooms, pistachios, etc. to reap such vitamins and minerals.
24. Rest And Manage Stress
In regard to home remedies for goiter pain and swelling, it is important to take enough rest and manage stress properly. When people are under stressful conditions, their bodies might release more stress hormones, including cortisol and adrenaline. This causes negative impacts on the immune system and thyroid/adrenal glands. It explains why people with thyroid disorders usually have hormonal changes related to fertility issues, reduced libido, mood swings, etc.
In order to maintain the healthy level of endocrine glands, managing stress should be taken seriously. You can utilize some natural stress removers, such as taking enough sleep, exercising, joining a support group, meditation, journaling, and so on.
25. Neck Exercise
Consider practicing stretching exercises for your neck to treat goiter symptoms. If you do them, they will stretch the muscles connecting to thyroid gland and decrease swelling.
Some exercises you can do right now include:
Exercise 1: Upward neck stretch
- Sit on the chair with the chin lifted towards the ceiling.
- Stretch neck muscles and hold this position for several seconds
- Repeat this exercise 10 to 12 times and daily
Exercise 2: Sideways neck stretch
- Bend the neck slowly to your side in order to let the ear touch the shoulder
- Stretch hard
- Repeat this routine on your other side
- Repeat 10 times on each of your side
Note: Avoid exerting your body when practicing these exercises. If you have pain, stop instantly.
If you are diagnosed with goiter and are undergoing follow-up or medication, you should try to apply some home remedies for goiter in our article to support the goiter treatment and help symptoms reduction. The methods in our suggestion are based on 100% natural and do not cause any harm to human health. Besides, it is based on using easily available ingredients and simple to apply which anyone can do. If you have any concern regarding the home remedies, please refer to our article of “25 Home Remedies for Goiter Pain And Swelling” presented in Home Remedies Category. Your comments and ideas are always welcomed. We will try to give the feedback to you as soon as possible.