Children are easily vulnerable to illnesses though they are taken care of well. One of the most common health issues kids are facing is indigestion. Indigestion is not a disease, but an impact from the wrong diet or due to some circumstances. This article below gives you not only the necessary information about indigestion but also the home remedies which are easy to do with natural ingredients to deal with this disease.
What Is Indigestion?
As we mentioned above, indigestion is not a disease. Indigestion (or can be called dyspepsia) is an uncomfortable feeling in your belly. It may be along with a burning or pain sensation in parts of the stomach.
What Are Common Causes Of Indigestion In Teenagers & Adults?
There is a multitude of reasons resulting in indigestion:
- The digestive system in kids are green
The baby’s digestive system is not well developed, and it may make them feel difficult to digest. The more inhaled food into the body, the more difficult for them to digest.
- Eating and drinking habit
Kids who tend to eat quickly and too much will be vulnerable to indigestion. The amount of inhaled food into the body is too fast for the stomach process on time. Or in some case, if people overeat starch, fat, spicy foods or drink alcohol, coffee, use tobacco; the body does not have enough digestive ferment to deal with such foods.
- Chewing in incorrect way
Chewing food is not small enough so that the abdomen takes much more time to regrind and digest. The belly must work hard; consequently, people will have a sense of hurt and terrible.
- Lack amount of acid in belly
If digest system does not have enough gastric acid, particularly acid hydrochloric (HCl), harmful bacteria will attack digest system. Hence, food is not processed properly, stay at specific parts in the body for some time; making people uncomfortable.
Life is fraught with difficulties. Anyone may face with physiological disturbance. Children who are under pressure with studying from families and schools and adults have troubles with working issues.
Experiencing emotional stress may easily result in indigestion problem. For example, if a person is suffering from emotional stress such as divorce or mental issues may be vulnerable.
- Some diseases
For those who drink medicines such as things containing steroid; antibiotics or aspirin; etc. will have side effects on belly. Additionally, when adults face with abdomen disease like a sickness; stomach cancer (rare), thyroid; resulting in abnormalities in digest system.
What Are Symptoms Of Indigestion In Teenagers & Adults?
Anyone may have a stomach ache from time to time. However, for those who have digestive problems or feel stressful, bad life habits such as drinking caffeine or eating inappropriate food have higher incidence getting this problem than other people.
If you are facing with one of those below symptoms; it is highly likely that you are suffering indigestion:
- Have an uncomfortable feeling in the upper belly or have flatulence, heartburn because food has not yet processed completely.
- Deflating or burping does not eliminate dyspepsia
- Right after eating, feel nausea or have dizziness due to acid reflux
- Endless stomached
- Do not eat with appetite, even when you are full or hungry.
When To See A Doctor?
Compared to other gastrointestinal diseases, indigestion is less dangerous, but if this problem lasts longer than expected, it may lead to serious consequences. So you should ask for help from a doctor in case you have some below signs:
- Vomit or vomit accompanied with blood
- Weight loss
- Lack of appetite
- Upper or lower abdominal pain
So now that you have equipped yourself with necessary information about what indigestion is and its symptoms. Now, it is time to find out what the best home remedies for indigestion in children and adults are.
Top 20 Effective Home Remedies For Indigestion In Teenagers And Adults
1. Change Your Eating Habits
- Reduce Amount Of Some Foods: Firstly, you should avoid overeating fat or caffeine (alcohol, coke, coffee, chocolate, etc.) or fried foods.
- Eat Small Meal: Dividing your time to savor the meal is one of the most effective ways to get rid of indigestion. Instead of eating three main meals as you usually do before, now you can eat from 5 to 6 times per day. Small meals with a proper amount of food make your belly work more effectively and efficiently.
- Eat Slowly: While eating, try to enjoy the meal by chewing carefully and slowly. Stop eating kinds of spicy or hard to digest foods.
2. Adjust Lifestyles
- Use comfortable clothes: You should not wear tight clothes because there is a likelihood that such clothes will tight your belly; hence, it is more difficult for food to be delivered.
- Some things should be avoided: Once being full, do not do exercise or work hard or lying on the bed. The best way is to practice at least one hour before the meal and three hours for a good sleep.
- Although it is unavoidable with difficulties in life, you should find the way to savor the moments, reduce stress, and relax by listening to music or travelling.
- Lying position improvement is also an excellent method for avoiding indigestion. Let your chest and head higher than your feet. Not using many pillows because it may increase pressure for the abdomen as well as make heartburn more serious.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one kind of vinegar made from fresh apple. It may encourage the abdomen process. Although containing some amount of acid, apple cider vinegar is effective in alkalinizing. That is the reason why apple cider vinegar is one of the effective home remedies for indigestion.
Using apple cider vinegar at the right amount is very important because using too high doses leads to numerous side effects and also makes progress of improvement become slower.
Choosing Apple Cider Vinegar:
There are two forms of apple cider vinegar: liquid and flour. But to gain good impact and eliminate indigestion, you should resort to refined apple cider vinegar. Diluted one not only contains less acidic but also is easy to be made at home
Do as bellows:
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water.
- Drink before meal
- Use 3 times a day
If sweetness is your preference, you can take a look at this way:
- Mix 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with a teaspoon of honey to a warm glass of water
- Stir the mixture so both can get incorporated
- Drink with each meal
- Repeat this way until your upset stomach feels relief
Caution: As we mentioned above, the excessive amount of apple cider vinegar may result in many side effects, including the reduction of potassium in the blood and low bone density. If potassium is not enough, body parts function will be adversely affected; may not work properly. Besides, apple cider vinegar may interfere with other medicines such as digoxin or insulin.
So in case you are taking this medication, you should consult your doctor to make sure that it will not interact with any medication.
Among home remedies for indigestion, do not forget to use ginger. Besides being well known for a great spice, ginger is also known as an excellent natural antibiotic for health without any side effects. With a small dose of ginger, if you are too full and have indigestion, take ginger as the following guidance:
Method 1: Ginger Tea
- Peel off the ginger skin
- Slide some pieces of ginger; then put into a pan
- Place in a stove then turn to medium heat
- Pour water and boil for 10 minutes
- Purify this mixture
- Add lemon or honey to it (depends on your taste)
- Stir well so the ingredients can cooperate
- Now savor this ginger tea
Method 2: Eat Raw
- Slide some pieces of ginger
- Eat raw with a little salt.
Method 3: Ginger With Foods
- Take one fresh piece of ginger
- Clean then remove its skin
- Grind into small pieces
- Add ginger with your favorite food like porridge or noodles
- Stir the mixture well
Caution: Although ginger’s effectiveness for heartburn relief and gastrointestinal upsets is widely recognized, those considering ginger as therapy needs to seek advice from the doctor, particularly for people who are pregnant, breastfeeding or being diagnosed with any health condition or taking any prescription medications.
5. Baking Soda
Indigestion is the result of excessive acid. Baking soda may help to reduce the amount of acid in the belly. This kind of “medicine” is easy to find in any drug store or market. Moreover, it reaps good progress in dealing with indigestion. There are two ways to treat the upset stomach by using baking soda.
Method 1: Diluted Baking Soda
- Take one teaspoon of baking soda
- Add baking soda into half a glass of water
- Stir well so the mixture can dissolve completely
- Drink every four hours
Because it is quickly for baking soda to dissolve in water; hence neutralizes the impact of acidic diet or meal.
Caution: You should not abuse of this mixture. A limited amount is not over five teaspoons a day. Adults but not children should use this.
Method 2: Baking Soda And Water
- Take one teaspoon of baking soda to one cup of water
- Add some drops of lemon
- Stir the mixture
- Use every three hours
Caution: Although baking soda is a useful method, not everyone can take advantage of it. Long term or abuse baking soda may make you incline some potential risks:
- chloride blood deficiency
- rise in sodium levels
- kidney disease
Therefore, it is essential that you should consult with doctors whether baking soda is a good alternative treatment for you. They can give you some advice if baking soda may interact with your medications or may lead to some side effects or not. Besides, the limited intake which is about one-half teaspoon of it may be sufficient for you. And one more time, you should bear in mind that baking soda is not a wise treatment for acid reflux to pregnant women and children under the age of six.
6. Herbal Tea
Drinking a glass of herbal tea is useful, helping you avoid indigestion. All you need to do is put herbal tea into hot water; then cover the cap of glass for five minutes. Later, you can enjoy the drink. But please take into your mind that drinking warm and hot tea is better than being served with a cold one. There are different kinds of herbal for your choice. We will mention two most popular herbal teas for acid reflux:
Method 1: Peppermint Tea:
- Take a dozen of fresh peppermint leaves
- Wash them then grind to release as many oils as possible
- Add this pure oil into a glass of hot water
- Stir well
- Let it sit for at least 5 minutes, then enjoy
In case fresh peppermint leaves are not available, you can resort to peppermint tea bags, which are undeniably convenient thanks to their portability.
- Pour hot water into a glass of water
- Dip the tea bag and wait for three minutes
- Savor the tea
Method 2: Fennel Seeds
- Take a teaspoon of dried fennel seeds
- Soak with hot water for three minutes
For another usage of fennel seeds, you can eat directly
- Buy dried fennel seeds at grocery or drug stores
- Take one teaspoon of the fennel seeds
- Chew before swallowing
The natural ingredients found in carrots may arise belly create more gastric secretion, improving digestion. As a result, carrots are used as one of the effective home remedies for indigestion.
- Squeeze two carrots to get water then this drink may help your abdomen feel better. You can put the drink in the fridge for it is better to drink cold.
- Instead of drinking, you can add carrot with rice
Cucumber not only contains fiber but also has a high amount of water, which is good for your health, especially avoiding dehydration. Fruit containing a lot of water like cucumber is beneficial for improving ingestion.
You can eat raw 2 to 3 cucumbers or grind for water.
Garlic has long been known not only as a spice that makes the food more attractive and delicious, but also a miracle remedy of nature. Besides lowering blood pressure, thus reducing the risk of heart disease, garlic is one of the effective home remedies for indigestion.
There are two ways of using garlic for dyspepsia:
Method 1: Garlic Juice
- Take five cloves of garlic
- Remove the skins of it
- Grind the garlic to extract as much as pure garlic water as possible
- Remove the diluted
- Drink daily
If you cannot stand the smell of garlic, you can chew tea bud while enjoying the drink.
Method 2: Garlic With Wine
- Grind about 50 gr of garlic, socked with 200ml white wine.
- Keep this mixture in 15 days then you can drink.
- Each time, take one teaspoon mixture and use 2 to 3 times per day.
However, nutrition experts advise before processing garlic, you should slice thin and then keep them under the air for 15 minutes so that the antibiotics in the garlic may combine with oxygen to bring positive effect.
Garlic is considered to be a spice commonly known for its beneficial effect on health. However, eating garlic improperly may does harm on health. Garlic may interfere with certain prescription medications, especially with some anticoagulants used for surgery. Hence, if you are taking medicine, you should advise your doctor before resorting to this remedy.
Besides, some people may be allergic to garlic; then eating a proper amount of garlic is necessary and trying not to eat raw garlic.
Orange contains a large amount of fiber, which helps avoid indigestion. Experts recommend that oranges not only help to support digestion system but they also provide adequate nutrition for the body. Consider them as a necessary and useful dessert dish.
Like oranges, grapes are rich in fiber which may eliminate indigestion and provide adequate nutrients. Therefore, you can substitute dessert fruits from oranges into grapes that will together bring the desired benefits to the stomach.
Although milk may cause flatulence, yogurt is good for the intestinal thanks to lactobacillus in yogurt, which helps kill harmful bacteria that lead to flatulence. Hence, yogurts are useful in keeping the digestive system healthy and one of the easy-to-do home remedies for indigestion you should not skip.
Caution: Some types of yogurts contain too much fat, especially saturated fat which might increase the risk of reflux since the fat stay in the stomach longer, stimulating more acid release and may irritate your stomach. So high in the dose of yogurt will trigger heartburn. Doctors recommended that if we eat in moderation, yogurts may alleviate indigestion in some people. Additionally, when choosing yogurts, it is essential that low-fat and fat-free yogurts are safe choices for anyone.
13. Massage The Abdomen With Essential Oils
Method 1: Use Directly On Stomach:
You can take advantage of some hot oils or a mixture of garlic oil and soybean oil with a ratio of 1: 1.
- Then gently massage around the navel in a clockwise direction and reverse quickly. You will soon have a pleasant feeling.
- Use your thumb, press in the abdomen several times in a straight line from the middle of the chest through your belly and about 5 cm above the belly.
- Conduct this many times so you can experience positive impacts.
Method 2: Inhale The Scent:
- Take one diffuser
- Put two or three drops of essential oils in the machine
- Turn on the machine so that warm water will diffuse the oils
If the diffuser is not available, you can take advantage of a towel or a soft cloth. The follow steps below:
- Place two or three drops of essential oils into the cloth
- Hover the cloth
- Breathe deeply
Thank you for taking your time reading the effective home remedies for indigestion that we have mentioned above. Among those methods, you can choose the most suitable way for yourself. Practice some of those methods, you will see how fully effective they are.
However, all content provided is for informational & educational purposes. We recommend you consult a healthcare professional to determine which method is appropriate for you and to avoid the side effects when applying these methods. In addition, asking for healthcare professional’s advice may help you know that you have to take medicine or not.
In case you want to contribute any comments about our article today, you can feel free to give us your point of view. We always try our best to reply to your response. We hope that this article will help you have better digestive health. Moreover, if you want to know more about homemade treatments for other diseases, do not skip Home Remedies page.