It is estimated that there are about 6,000 cases of typhoid in the US each year. About 75% of these numbers are contracted whilst traveling abroad. Typhoid, when caught early, could be treated successfully with antibiotics. However, if not treated, this disease could be fatal. Learning somefundamental information about typhoid is necessary before you get to know home remedies for typhoid fever and headache. Read on from TrueRemedies.com below!
- 10 best home treatments for bacterial infection
- Top 10 unexpected remedies to reduce body heat
- Top 35 worth-trying tips to cure a fever in adults & children
What Is Typhoid?
Typhoid or typhoid fever is the infection caused by Salmonella typhimurium (S.typhi) bacteria. The bacteria live within the intestines and bloodstreams. The condition spread through direct contact with the feces of a sufferer. It is noticeable that no animal carries this condition, so transmission is from human to human, always.
From the bloodstream, typhoid bacteria spread into other organs and tissues. In fact, the immune system of the sufferers could do little to combat the condition because salmonella typhimurium could live in the cells of the sufferers safe in his/her immune system.
What Are Causes Of Typhoid Fever?
Typhoid fever is often caused by S.typhimurium, as mentioned earlier. Although they are related, the bacteria which are responsible for salmonellosis (one of the serious intestinal infections) and S.typhi, are not the same.
It is also worth noting that even after treatment with antibiotics, some people who recover from typhoid fever keep harboring the bacteria in their gallbladders and intestinal tracts for a few years. Such people, called chronic carriers, shed the S.typhi bacteria in their feces and infect other people; although they do not have any signs and symptoms of the disease anymore.
TrueRemedies Partner Solutions
Need a Help from the Leading Expert Online, Available 24/7?
They’re all here and ready to answer your questions online or by phone. Keep asking questions until you get the answer you need.
What Are Symptoms Of Typhoid?
The period of incubation is often from one to two weeks while the duration of the ailment is approximately 4-6 weeks. Typhoid sufferers often experience:
- Abdominal pain
- Poor appetite
- Fever, from 103 F – 104 F (about 39 – 40 C)
- Generalized pains and aches
- Intestinal bleeding or perforation
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Lethargy (if not treated)
- Weakness and vomiting
The fever will become constant. About 10% of sufferers will have recurrent symptoms of typhoid fever after getting better for 1-2 weeks. Actually, relapses are common among individuals using antibiotics.
How To Avoid Typhoid?
It is estimated that people in the countries which have less access to washing facilities and clean water typically have a higher risk of getting typhoid. Typhoid is spread by ingestion and contact of infected feces (of human beings). This could happen when handling the food or through an infected source of water.
Follow some rules to minimize the risk of having typhoid:
- Drink bottled plain water
- If you cannot find quality bottled water, make sure that the water is heated on a rolling boil for a few minutes before consuming
- Be careful at eating something handled by another person
- Do not eat at street food stands; just eat food which is still piping hot.
- Avoid having ice cubes in drinks
- Avoid raw fruits and veggies.
- Peel the fruit before eating
There is no science-based evidence for the following homemade recipes. The recipes we’ve focused on are traditional home remedies, so always consult your doctor and check out your health condition regularly.
Top 28 Powerful Home Remedies For Typhoid Fever And Headache
Banana is one of the most effective home remedies for typhoid thanks to the compound called pectin which may be beneficial in absorbing the liquid in our intestine. Also, bananas have a high content of potassium that balances the lost electrolyte during diarrhea and fever caused by typhoid.
To make use of this fruit for typhoid treatment, you can eat ripe bananas or simply mix them with yogurt. Another great way to use bananas for thyroid is mixing the pulp of a banana with buttermilk. Consume this mixture to reduce your fever.
Not only does garlic have a large number of antioxidants which may ward off the free radicals, but it also fights off bacteria in your whole body system due to antimicrobial properties. It means that garlic helps eliminate the infection by flushing out and killing the bacteria within your body. Furthermore, garlic may remove toxins out of your system for a faster recovery.
What you need to do is:
- Consume 2 garlic cloves before eating your breakfast in the morning daily. It will fight off the symptoms of typhoid naturally.
- Add ½ teaspoon of crushed garlic in 1 cup of milk. Then, put this mixture in 4 cups of water.
- Boil the mixture till it remains ¼ the initial amount
- Drink it 3 times per day.
Caution: This treatment is not suitable for pregnant women and young children.
Because of the presence of oil in cloves, this plant has antibacterial properties, which help in fighting the bacteria triggering typhoid fever. In addition, cloves may prevent vomiting. To take advantage of cloves for typhoid treatment, you can follow these steps:
- Add 5 clove buds in plain water and boil it till it remains half of the initial amount.
- Strain it up and consume 3 times per day
- Follow this treatment for about one week to get good results.
Thanks to its antiseptic properties, cranberries could prevent you from diarrhea and reduce the amount of typhoid fever. Additionally, cranberries also boost your immune system significantly. However, pregnant women or people who are allergic to cranberries should avoid this treatment.
Pomegranate is a healthy fruit which possesses unbelievable benefits. Compared with other fruits, pomegranates have the maximum amount of antioxidants. In fact, it has about 3 times more antioxidants than orange juice and green tea. Drinking pomegranate juice may help your body recover from dehydration caused by typhoid fever. You can mix 1 teaspoon of honey in a glass of pomegranate juice to cure indigestion and dehydration problems.
Also, consuming pomegranate may help fight bacteria and viruses while boosting your immune system. That is thanks to its antimicrobial and antibacterial properties.
Carrots are high in antioxidants and may improve your immunity naturally. That is why they are one of the home remedies for typhoid fever. According to a study, the rehydration solution from carrots and rice is safe and effective in the rehydration of children and infants with acute diarrhea. Eating carrots may alleviate the symptoms of diarrhea symptoms associated with typhoid.
The mighty honey is a remarkable option among home remedies for typhoid fever and headache. This ingredient is amazing at the regulation of digestion. It helps you to boost your energy quickly when you are feeling exhausted, fight the bacterial infection, and settle your stomach. Take one tablespoon of honey and add to a cup of warm water. Consume this remedy as many times as possible every day to replenish the lost energy of your body due to fever.
Do you believe that drinking orange juice may reduce your symptoms of typhoid fever? It is because of the cooling effect of oranges. They may give you a relief from the restlessness resulted from typhoid. Oranges are rich in vitamin C that helps to boost the immune system to fight against infections. Vitamin C also acts as a natural antioxidant and encourages white blood cell production. Moreover, oranges are good at reducing stomach upset and improving digestion. To take its advantage for typhoid relief, you should drink orange juice a few times per day. Maintain this habit for about 1 week even after complete recovery. Orange also helps in boosting your immunity. Thus, there is no reason for you to not indulging in this fruit.
Scientists have observed that it is totally possible to remove the bacterium responsible for causing typhoid fever by using Echinacea, also known as purple coneflower. This is not only a beautiful garden flower blooming in autumn and summer but also an excellent remedy for typhoid fever. American Indians love this plant, one of the best natural antibiotics. It symbolizes healing and strength. Using Echinacea may enhance your immune system naturally. Also, it treats a sore throat and the common cold. It contains glucose, potassium, iron, sulfur, vitamin A, C, and E.
Caution: Do not use Echinacea if you are allergic to it.
There is no evidence for the below information and homemade recipes. So, they have not yet been confirmed or reviewed by any expert. These additional home remedies are collected from some highly appreciated sources. Give them a try.
10. Cold Compress
When having a high fever caused by typhoid, using cold compresses is a good treatment. This may help reduce your body temperature effectively.
What you have to do is:
- Soak a cotton cloth in the cool tap water, and then wring out the excess water before placing it over your forehead. To get better results, change your washcloth regularly.
- Alternatively, you could also use a cold washcloth to sponge the areas such as hands, feet, armpits, and groin to alleviate the body temperature. This method should be done regularly to take control of a high fever.
Caution: Avoid using ice water or very cold water because it might worsen your condition.
11. Increase Your Fluid Intake
It is important to drink at least 6-8 glasses of water daily. Typhoid causes frequent watery diarrhea as well as fever, leading to dehydration. Thus, increase the intake of liquid foods like vegetable broth, fruit juice, and strained fruits. Those foods may replace the electrolytes lost in the diarrhea. In case you are severely dehydrated, you might need to receive fluids intravenously in the hospital.
In addition to water, you should also drink coconut water, fresh fruit juices, glucose water, herbal teas, and soups.
12. Apple Cider Vinegar
You have seen apple cider vinegar in many lists of home remedies for illnesses, from health to beauty. Thus, it is not surprising that it also happens in this list – home remedies for typhoid. Apple cider vinegar may reduce body temperature naturally. Consuming apple cider vinegar diluted in water may boost your energy and help to replenish the minerals lost during diarrhea caused by typhoid. Some ways you can make use of apple cider vinegar for typhoid are:
- Add some honey to ½ teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Drink this solution daily before having your meal.
- Mix apple cider vinegar with cold water in a ratio of 1:2.
- Soak a cotton cloth in the solution before putting it onto your stomach and forehead
- Repeat this process regularly
13. Homemade ORS
Oral rehydration solution (ORS) is very useful in energizing your body through replenishing body fluids. It may decrease the intensity of your typhoid symptoms significantly. Fluid replacement is very important to prevent dehydration. You can make homemade ORS by following the guidelines below:
- Add 6 teaspoons of sugar along with ½ teaspoon of salt in 4 cups of fresh water
- Mix them well and drink it a few times per day till you get a complete recovery.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt in 1 glass of water
- Heat the mixture for 1-2 minutes, let it cool down and drink it once per day.
- Repeat this routine for 3-4 days to get good results.
14. Apple And Carrots
Consuming a fresh apple along with carrots could give you a boost in overall health. To speed up your healing process, you can do the method below:
- Boil apple and carrot slices in about 2 cups of water after adding several drops of apple cider vinegar into
- Strain the mixture and consume it.
This solution will reduce the adverse effects of diarrhea while improving good health in general.
The next one in this list of effective home remedies for typhoid is basil leaves. This is reckoned as a holy plant in the culture of India. It is because of the healing power of basil, not to mention anti-bacterial, antibiotic properties and immunity booster.
Eating 3-4 leaves of basil every day will help you kill bacteria causing typhoid naturally. Or, you can follow the method below:
- Prepare 4 basil leaves, 7 grains of ground black pepper, and 7 shreds of saffron, then grind them into powder before adding some water to have a good paste
- Form small tablets from the mixture prepared above.
- Every day, take each tablet for 2-3 times with tepid milk
By this way, your fever will disappear soon. This is an effective treatment for typhoid fever.
Consuming buttermilk will alleviate your dehydration caused by typhoid fever. By drinking a few glasses of buttermilk every day after taking a meal, you will boost your recovery naturally. Alternatively, you can drink a small amount of fresh coriander juice to buttermilk for a fast recovery from typhoid fever.
Lemon is a natural disinfectant with antiseptic properties that may cure a large number of health problems simultaneously. Also, the citric acid in lemon juice may help alkalize your own gastrointestinal tract. What you have to do is:
- Extract the juice of a lemon in a glass of water and add honey into this mixture
- Drink the solution for about 1 week to get noticeable results.
That way, bacteria causing typhoid will be killed off naturally. Also, your gut will be alkalized at the same time.
18. Consume High-Calorie Foods
According to the experts at Mayo Clinic, a high-calorie diet will be beneficial for people with typhoid fever. High-calorie foods will prevent weight loss whilst you are handling the condition. Some high-calorie foods include white rice, pasta, potatoes, bananas, fruit juice, and white bread. You should also avoid consuming foods that contain roughage as they are not easy to digest and could irritate your inflamed intestine more.
Also, a high protein diet is important for recovery from typhoid headache and fever. About 100 gm of protein every day is highly recommended for matures. You can take a large amount of protein from eggs and milk.
On the other hand, you should also avoid taking too much fiber because typhoid might lead to the damage of the digestive tract and therefore, any food causing irritation should be avoided. Because fiber is harsh on our digestive system, so it is better to apply a low-fiber diet plan. Foods that are high in fiber are whole grain cereals, oatmeal, raw vegetables in the form of salads, and whole wheat bread. It could add more stress to your digestive system.
Furthermore, stay away from spices and seasoning such as cayenne, pepper and chili powder, along with oily foods to avoid inflaming your digestive tract.
19. Apple Juice
Packed with a myriad of powerful antioxidants, flavonoids, and dietary fiber, apple juice may prevent a variety of diseases, including typhoid. Thus, you should drink the juice of apple regularly.
20. Sweet Lime
Among home remedies for typhoid, sweet lime seems little-known. But, it does work because of the ability to improve the immune system while reducing diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting.
21. Raisins And Dry Plum
To lessen your symptoms of typhoid, take advantage of both raisins and dried plum. It might sound simple, but raisins do help with typhoid. You can either soak raisins overnight and have them in the next morning or follow the method below:
- Just simply take 8-10 raisins and 2-3 pieces of dry plum and soak them in 2 glasses of water
- Leave it there overnight and the next morning, blend them and have it on your empty stomach.
Raisins may act as a natural tonic during your typhoid fever, thereby improving your symptoms of typhoid.
In case you get dilated because of typhoid, your pulse rate will be slow and the extremities like the toes and fingers turning to be cold, you should do the following method:
- Mix 10 drops of particular belladonna with ½ glass of water
- Drink this mixture in measures of 1 teaspoon at intervals of one hour.
Blueberries are grown in cool climates with acidic and moist soil and full sun. This plant just bears fruit after growing 3 years. Blueberries are good at combating diabetes as well as typhoid fever. It has a large amount of vitamins A and C, and potassium.
Caution: Do not eat their leaves because they contain a high level of tannin, which causes anemia and constipation.
24. Umeboshi Concentrate
A concentrate made from the umeboshi plum could help you prevent typhoid effectively. It is considered one of the “Don’t leave home without it” treatments. You could buy it in the form of pills or paste.
25. Coriander Leaves
It is proven that the coriander leaves are tonic and stimulant. They may strengthen your stomach and promote its operation, relieve flatulence, and boost the secretion and discharge of urine while decreasing fever. You can use coriander leaves as a home remedy for typhoid fever because it may promote a feeling of coolness. The juice from coriander leaves may be beneficial for those people with deficiencies of iron and vitamin A, B1-2, C.
26. Rice Water
Rice water is good for those with stomach flu. The rice has proteins which may stabilize the bowel both during and after an ailment. Rice water is very hydrating and soothing, so it is used to reduce typhoid fever symptoms. Follow the guidelines below:
You can cook a pot of rice with water at a ratio of 1:4. It is advised to use at least twice as much water as you normally do).
- Strain the rice. The grains could be reserved for another use.
- Drink the rice water regularly to treat typhoid fever naturally.
27. Slippery Elm
Slippery elm is native to the central and eastern US and eastern Canada. Slippery elm has been traditionally used for treating typhoid fever. Follow the steps below:
- Cut obliquely one or more ounces of barks of slippery elm into pieces (with the thickness of a match)
- Then, add a pinch of Cayenne flavor with a thin slice of lemon and sweeten into prepared slippery elm.
- Infuse all of them in a pint of boiling water, wait for 25 minutes
- Take it regularly in small doses (about 1 pint / day)
It is considered one of the best home remedies for typhoid fever, but not many people know it.
Caution: If you are allergic or hypersensitivity to slippery elm, avoid using it. Besides, pregnant and breastfeeding women should not follow this tip.
Aromatherapy is one of the home remedies for typhoid fever. For example, eucalyptus essential oil has been traditionally used to cure infections with fever, counting malaria, cholera, and typhoid.
Furthermore, physicians in France have recommended people to use lemon oil, lemongrass essential oil to get similar effects as those of eucalyptus oil to typhoid fever. These oils have the ability to fight off against illnesses such as typhoid and malaria.
Extra Tips For Typhoid Fever
- Avoid eating meat as well as sugary items for several days
- Consume simple foods like legumes with rice, porridge, grilled fish, and raw or boiled veggies.
- Include soups and green vegetable smoothies into your daily diet
- Avoid eating unhygienic street food, and try to cook food at home
- Wash your hands appropriately prior to eating food or cooking meals.
- Drink boiled and filtered water.
- Maintain good personal hygiene as well as sanitation to avoid the spread of typhoid
- Avoid drinking stimulants such as caffeinated drinks, alcohol, carbohydrate drinks, tea, and spicy foods.
- Skip dairy products and milk if you are suffering from diarrhea
- Add ½ teaspoon of psyllium seeds to 1 cup of tepid water and have it to help improve your bowel movements.
- Take proper rests if necessary because this condition causes weakness.
The 28 home remedies for typhoid fever and headache above are used by many people around the world to treat typhoid symptoms. In general, they are safe and easy to use at home. But, it is best to consult your doctor before using these home remedies for typhoid, especially if you are using any specific medication or drug.
For any contributing ideas about this topic of Home Remedies for Typhoid, do not hesitate to drop your words below this post. Let other people know about your process of combating typhoid fever, and how you overcame it. We thank you and will reply as soon as possible. For further references of natural treatments for conditions and illnesses, check out our Home Remedies Page .