Are you suffering from mouth sores? Are you looking for natural methods to treat it? You are in the right place. In this article, we, TrueRemedies.com, will reveal you the best natural home remedies for mouth sores reduction on tongues and lips. Keep reading to understand more!
- Home remedies for ulcers in mouth and throat
- Home remedies for oral thrush in babies and adults
- How to get rid of canker sores
What Is Mouth Sores?
Mouth sores are a common condition, which occurs in association with lots of diseases. Although this type of disease is not dangerous and not infectious, it is painful and makes it difficult for patients to eat and drink. The disease is different among patients, but the symptoms usually begin with the appearance of sores in the tongue, cheek, lips, and some other areas in the mouth. The ulcer is milky white, causing the area around the infected parts to swell with pain. Normally, the ulcers will self-heal from 7-10 days.
Some main types of mouth sores include:
- Recurrent Aphthous Stomatitis Minor (RAS minor): Ulcer lesion is very shallow, painful, each spot is separated with the diameter from 3mm to less than 1cm. The number of red dots can range from one to five. RAS minor normally occurs in the lips, cheeks, and mouth. This type of injury usually fades after 7 to 10 days and does not leave any scars.
- Recurrent Aphthous Stomatitis Major(RAS major): This kind of injury is less likely to happen. The sores, in this case, are usually larger, ranging from 1-3 cm deeper, and can be concentrated closely next to each other. The dots usually appear in the lips, throat. If you suffer from this injury, you will be greatly affected because mouth sore can last more than 6 weeks.
- Herpetiform Recurrent Aphthous Stomatitis (Herpetiform RAS): Among 3 main types of mouth sores, this one is the least encountered. Dot is only about 1 – 3 mm but focuses on a group. These lesions may be concentrated in a small area or on a large scale.
What Are Common Causes Of Mouth Sores?
- Liver Disease: Liver function is weakened due to liver diseases such as hepatitis, liver disease because of alcoholic poison, etc. so that toxins are not excreted out, accumulating in the oral mucosa. When a large amount of toxins exits, it will create necrotic holes and form an ulcer.
- Weak Immune System: Decreased immune system enables for an external agent to easily attack, which results in damage to the oral mucosa
- Endocrine Disorders: It is also one of the most common causes of mouth sores, which often occurs in pregnant women and children.
- Eating Habits: Hot or spicy foods may increase pain. The habit of consuming fried food like fast food or too much sugar may lead to mouth sore.
- Injury Due To Oral Hygiene: The cause of foot pain also include sodium lauryl sulphate what is found in lots of brands of toothpaste. If the injuries are not treated or prevented on time, wounds will spread, become infected and cause heat in the mouth
- Lesions In The Oral Cavity: accidentally biting on the cheek or wound from impact.
- Mouth Sores also occurs when you have some medical conditions such as HIV or AIDS. HIV (Human immunodeficiency virus) creates immunodeficiencies that allow opportunistic infections and neoplasms to proliferate.
- Lack Of Vitamins And Minerals: Hematinic deficiency (vitamin B, iron or folate) also causes mouth sore.
- Abuse Of Antibiotics: Although antibiotics for treating flu or headache or any other medical treatments are of significant effective because such medicines may kill harmful bacteria, antibiotics cannot differentiate and category bacteria; hence destroy good bacteria in the body and cause heat in the body. Consequently, microorganism loose balance, creating the opportunity for mouth heat bacterial outbreaks
- Mental Pressure: Stress, endocrine disorders if have to work or study endlessly make people feel under pressure and stressful. According to many studies, those who experience constant stress are more likely to be vulnerable to mouth sores .
What Are Symptoms Of Mouth Sores?
- Small vesicles are very fragile, leaving a shallow sore in the mouth. They are round or ovary, with a diameter of 2-10 mm. The site of common lesions is the inside of the cheeks, the lips, the tongue
- The disease usually does not cause fever, does not cause swollen glands in the neighboring areas and may disappear, heal by themselves
- In severe cases, some symptoms of inflammation, red or painful swelling may occur. Sores are especially uncomfortable when chewing, eating
- If not treated properly and promptly, an ulcer may turn to acute inflammation, which is extremely painful even having a high fever or lymph nodes.
When To See A Doctor?
- If you suffer from mouth sores together with fever, diarrhea, headache or skin rash, you need to visit a doctor immediately for seeking advice and find solutions to this disease.
- If the ulcer is abnormally large, lasting more than two weeks, deep into the lips or drainage too often, the best way is going to the clinic.
- You can also go to a dentist if oral hygiene cause mouth sore.
Top 14 Home Remedies For Mouth Sores Reduction On Tongue And Lips
Tomatoes are considered a nutritious plant because they provide a lot of health benefits. They are storehouses of vitamins such as A, C, K, vitamin B6, potassium, folate, thiamin, magnesium, niacin, copper, phosphorus, and lycopene, which are essential nutrients to maintain good health. They are also low in cholesterol, saturated fat, sodium, and calories.
Method 1: Eat Raw Tomato
- Choose a bright red tomato and wash with salt water thoroughly to remove pesticides, chemicals sticking on the skin.
- Use a towel or clean tissue to absorb water
- Slide the tomato into 4 parts and remove the seeds inside
- Enjoy the clean and fresh tomato
- Don’t eat tomatoes when you are hungry because they contain a lot of colloids and phenones, which are easy to associate with acid in the stomach to produce hardening and stomach pain.
- Patients with gastritis, acute colon disease do not eat tomatoes to avoid illness becoming more serious.
- Do not eat lots of tomato seeds because they cannot be digested.
Method 2: Tomato Juice
- Take 2 fresh, naturally ripe tomatoes and rinse them.
- Cut them into small pieces
- Add these pieces and 1/4 teaspoon of salt in a blender and grind thoroughly
- Pour tomato juice through a cloth bag to remove residue, extract the juice only
- Put the juice in the refrigerator for cool and drink
Caution: Although tomato juice is very necessary for healing mouth sores, it is advised that people should not abuse the natural juice because a glass of fresh tomato juice contains about 9 mg of sodium. A high sodium diet increases the risk of osteoporosis and other cardiovascular complications.
The cause of mouth sore is due to the body’s immune system depletion, enabling bacteria to easily attack your mouth, causing ulcers in it, sometimes on your tongue or in other areas of your mouth. Honey is beneficial for reducing the irritation and swelling . According to a new study published recently, honey is considered the safest and most effective way of treating mouth sore.
Method 1: Apply Honey To The Ulcer After Eating
- Pour a little honey into a small bowl
- Use a cotton ball soaked with honey to apply to the ulcer
- Repeat the process 3 times
Method 2: Gargle With Honey
- Drink some honey and put it in your mouth, in the affected area
- Leave it for 1 minute and then swallow
- Follow it regularly for quick effects
Method 3: Mix Honey With Turmeric Starch
Honey has antiseptic features, killing harmful bacteria and fungus in the mouth while turmeric starch helps heal wounds.
- Mix a teaspoon each of honey and turmeric starch to get a paste
- Apply this paste to the ulcer areas
- Wash your mouth with warm water after two minutes
3. Fresh Milk And Yogurt
Yogurt is a dairy product made from natural fermentation. Fermented bacteria interact with natural sugars in milk to form acid-lactic, which makes the yogurt special. Yogurt contains live bacteria – a healthy bacterium called lactobacillus casein. Many studies indicated that consumption of yogurt may increase the number of white blood cells in the body. Therefore, yogurt is considered to be effective in strengthening the immune system, which works against the disease . Besides, bacteria called lactobacillus in yogurt may help reduce inflammation.
Method 1: Eat Raw Yogurt
- Regular consumption of yogurt will be very good for treating mouth heat. The good bacteria in yogurt go through the mouth to heal the stain.
Method 2: Apply Yogurt To Affected Mouth Area
- Wash your hands with water and soap
- Pour a teaspoon yogurt into a small spoon
- Apply the yogurt directly to the affected area
- Shake your mouth gently for at least 3 minutes so that yogurt can spread all over the area
- Wash your mouth thoroughly with warm water to remove yogurt
- Repeat once or twice a week.
Caution: Yogurt should be eaten after meals since the beneficial bacteria in yogurt survive at pH conditions greater or equal 4.5. When you are in a hungry mood, the pH in the stomach is only 2, so if you consume yogurt, then the beneficial bacteria in it are destroyed.
4. Supplement Vitamins And Minerals
When it comes to home remedies for mouth sores, you should add vitamins C, B1, B2, A, and zinc to help regenerate the lining faster. Supplementing vitamin B1 and B2 may help to prevent recurrent mouth sore. According to the study, vitamin B1 and B2 intake should be 1 mg daily, consume twice a day for 6 months.
In addition, iron supplementation is essential for the body. The lack of iron increases the risk of oral heat. Consult a doctor for the proper usage.
There are many types of fruits containing such vitamins above such as orange juice or lemon juice, etc. Orange or lemon juice contains high levels of vitamin C, which is effective at promoting the immune system, anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory. According to researchers, orange juice or lemon juice contains folate, a vitamin B that plays an important role in the formation of new cells, promoting the healing of wounds and sores.
5. Cold Compress
Putting an ice pack on your abdomen might decrease the condition of mouth sore. Also, it might lessen swelling and pain. What you need to do is:
- Hold a small ice pack in your mouth to relieve heat and reduce inflammation. The coldness of ice slows the blood flow to the sores, thereby reducing pain and swelling.
If you feel it is too cold and your mouth becomes numb, you should remove the pack
6. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is made from crushed apple; its constituent consists of amino acids, acetic acid and some other acids. It also contains a variety of vitamins and minerals. It may kill bacteria while increasing the beneficial bacteria and acting as a natural antibiotic for oral sore. Take the following steps:
- Take 1-2 teaspoons of unfiltered, raw apple cider vinegar
- Add 1 glass of warm water to it
- Gargle the mixture for best results
Starfruit has many good effects on the body. It contains large amounts of vitamin C to supply for the body. In addition, five ridges have acid oxalic and trace elements such as Ca, Fe, Na, K, A, B1, B2 and P. Using green star-fruit will help you feel cool and may treat mouth ulcers from the inside. What you need to do is:
- Cut 2 or 3 soar star-fruits into small segments
- Put the star-fruits into water and heat until it boils
- Steam for about 5 minutes.
- Keep the mixture cool at room temperature
- Use a sieve to filter the juice into a bottle, remove the residue
- Consume this juice as needed.
- Try this remedy for 3-4 days to attain the best effect.
8. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil may work wonders in treating ulcers because it contains antimicrobial components (the medium chain fatty acids). The oil not only retains moisture and prevents your mouth from becoming dry but it also improves the process of new tissue growth. Along with that, it holds analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties, which will decrease the pain and swelling you experience due to the mouth ulcer.
Method 1: Gargle With Coconut Milk
- After brushing your teeth with your usual toothpaste, gargle with a little pure coconut oil
- Repeat the process 2 times per day
Method 2: Apply Directly Coconut Milk
- Take a teaspoon of coconut oil
- Soak a cotton ball into the oil
- Put it on the ulcer area in the mouth
- Hold it for a minute
- The pain will go away for quite a while
9. Aloe Vera
In addition to the use of beauty, aloe vera may be useful for treating gum disease, oral diseases including mouth sores . Instead of relying on antibiotics, not good for the body, people should take advantage of using aloe because thanks to its glycoprotein, aloe vera has anti-inflammatory and allergy properties, helping heal wounds . It further detoxifies the body by enhancing metabolism in the liver, kidney and eliminates toxins in the cell.
- Cut a piece of aloe leaf
- Wash the leaf through and through
- Shave off the outer green skin and then take the white “meat”
- Slide the white “meat” into small pieces and put it in the affected areas
- Aloe vera resin has antibacterial properties that help to reduce swelling and soothe the pain.
- Redo the process two to three times per week to have the best results
- You should rinse your mouth with salt water regularly to remove bacteria in the mouth, especially in the evening before going bed to prevent infection.
- Brush your teeth at least 2 times per day. After that, rinse with mouthwash having function soothing some of the burning sensations.
- Completely avoid the use of toothpaste and mouthwash containing sodium lauryl sulfate.
- Drink at least 2 liters of filtered water every day to keep your body fresh. This is the simplest and least expensive way to prevent heat in the mouth.
- Limit eating some kinds of foods such as dry and fried ones because such food group is irritable. When people consume those foods, they naturally absorb water from the body, resulting in water shortages, causing heat rising.
- Avoid drinking alcohol and stimulants because these drinks often hurt the ulcers and make them worse.
The above mentioned home remedies are claimed to be able to reduce the symptoms of mouth sores. Choose some of them and alternate them in your treating to see how effective they are. Also, do let us know if you have any other home remedies for mouth sores.