What Is Mouth Sores?
Mouth sores is a common disease among many people, especially in summers. Although this type of disease is not dangerous and not infectious, it is painful and makes it difficult for patients to eat and drink. Scientific research shows that there is about 20% of the population must experience frequent mouth sore. The disease is different among patients, but the symptoms usually begin with the appearance of sores in the tongue, cheek, lips, and some other places in the mouth. The ulcer is milky white, causing the area around the infected parts to swell with pain. Normally, the ulcers will self-heal from 7-10 days. As the disease decreases, the swelling, pain of the ulcer decreases, the mucosal area will heal quickly afterwards.
There are several main types of mouth sores as below:
- Recurrent Aphthous Stomatitis Minor (RAS minor): Ulcer lesion is very shallow, painful, each spot is separated with the diameter from 3mm to less than 1cm. The number of red dots can range from one to five. RAS minor normally occurs in the lips, cheeks and mouth. This type of injury usually fades after 7 to 10 days and does not leave any scars.
- Recurrent Aphthous Stomatitis Major(RAS major):This kind of injury is less likely to happen. The sores in this case are usually larger, ranging from 1-3 cm deeper, and can be concentrated closely next to each other. The dots usuallyappear in the lips, throat. If you suffer from this injury, you will be greatly affected because mouth sore can last more than 6 weeks.
- HerpetiformRecurrent Aphthous Stomatitis (Herpetiform RAS): Among 3 main types of mouth sores, this one is the least encountered. Dot is only about 1 – 3mm but focus into a group. These lesions can be concentrated in a small area or on a large scale.
What Are Common Causes Of Mouth Sores?
- Liver Disease: Liver function is weakened due to liver diseases such as hepatitis, liver disease because of alcoholic poison, etc. so that toxins are not excreted out, accumulating in the mucosa’s mouth. When a large amount of toxins exits, creating necrotic holes, forming an ulcer. This is considered to be the main cause of mouth sores.
- Weak Immune System: Decreased immune system enables for external agent to easily attack, which results in damage to the oral mucosa
- Endocrine Disorders: It is also one of the most common causes of mouth sores, which often occurs in pregnant women and children.
- EatingHabits: Foods that make damage to the mouth such as sour, spicy foods or gluten or even the habit of consuming fried food like fast food or too much sugar can lead to mouth sore.
- Injury Due To Oral Hygiene: Brushing too hard, toothpaste or mouthwash containing sodium lauryl sulfate. If the injuries are not treated or prevented on time, wounds will spread, become infected and cause heat in the mouth
- Lesions In The Oral Cavity: accidentally biting on the cheek or wound from impact.
- Mouth Sores also occurs when you have some medical conditions such as HIV or AIDS.
- Lack Of Vitamins And Minerals: Deficiency of vitamin B12, iron or folate also causes mouth sore.
- Abuse Of Antibiotics: Although antibiotics for treating flu or headache or any other medical treatments are of significant effective because such medicines can kill harmful bacteria, antibiotics cannot differentiate and category bacteria; hence destroy good bacteria in the body and cause heat in the body. Consequently,microorganism loose balance, creating the opportunity for mouth heat bacterial outbreaks
- Mental Pressure: Stress, endocrine disorders if have to work or study endlessly make people feel under pressure and stressful. According to many researches, those who experience constant stress are more likely to be vulnerable to mouth sores. The reason is stress and fatigue will make you feel less appetite, so the immune system is affected, in which weak immune is considered an important cause of mouth sores.
What Are Symptoms Of Mouth Sores?
- There are small vesicles are very fragile, leaving a shallow sores in the mouth. They are round or ovary, with a diameter of 2-10 mm. The site of common lesions is the inside of the cheeks, the lips, the tongue
- The disease usually does not cause fever, does not cause swollen glands in the neighboring areas and can disappear, heal by themselves
- In severe cases, some symptoms of inflammation, red or painful swelling can occur.Sores are especially uncomfortable when chewing, eating
- If not properly taken after of, an ulcer can turn to acute inflammation, which is extremely painful even having high fever or lymph nodes.
When To See A Doctor?
- If you suffer from mouth sores together with fever, diarrhea, headache or skin rash, you need come to the doctor immediately for seeking advice and find solutions to this disease.
- If the ulcer is abnormally large, lasting more than two weeks, deep into the lips or drainage too often, the best way is to go to the clinic.
- You can also go to a dentist if oral hygiene cause mouth sore.
There, you have discovered some information about mouth sores, it is time to find out what the best natural home remedies for mouth sores reduction on tongues and lips are. Take a look at TrueRemedies.com!
Top 21 Home Remedies For Mouth Sores Reduction On Tongue And Lips
Tomatoes are often found in every kitchen of the house and are used to prepare a variety of dishes. Tomato stem is round, has many branches.The main seasonsfor harvestingtomatoes are winter and spring. Tomatoes when ripe are bright red.
In fact, not everyone knowsthe benefits, great effects of this fruit as well as how to take advantage of it. Tomatoes are considered a nutritious plant, because they provide a lot of health benefits. Thanks to redundant vitamins contained in such as A, C, K, vitamin B6, potassium, folate, thiamin, magnesium, niacin, copper and phosphorus, which are essential nutrients to maintain good health. The great thing about tomatoes is that they contain very little cholesterol, saturated fat, sodium and calories. Let’s do as follows:
Method 1: Eat Raw Tomato
- Choose one bright red tomato.Remember do not take waterlogged, rotten one or having many wrinkles on the skin.
- Wash with salt water thoroughly with the aim to remove pesticides, chemicals that stick on the skin.
- Use towel or clean tissue to absorb water
- Slide the tomato into 4 parts
- Remove the seeds inside
- Now you can enjoy clean and fresh tomato
- Absolutely do not eat tomatoes when you are hungry, because tomatoes contain a lot of colloids and phenones, which are easy to associate with acid in the stomach to produce hardening and stomach pain.
- Patients with gastritis, acute colon disease do not eat tomatoes to avoid illness becoming more serious.
- Do not eat lots of tomato seeds because they cannot be digested. In the process of transporting food on bowel road, it is feared seedsmight enter the appendix, causing appendicitis.
Method 2: Tomato Juice
- Take 2 fresh, naturally ripe tomatoes
- Rinse the tomatoes through and through
- Cut tomatoes into small pieces
- Add the tomatoes and 1/4 teaspoon of salt in the blender and grind thoroughly
- Pour tomato juice through a cloth bag to remove residue, extract the juice only
- Put the tomato juice in the refrigerator for cool and drink
Caution: Although tomato juice is very necessary in healing mouth sores, it is advised that people should not abuse the natural juice because a glass of freshly tomato juice contains about 9mg of sodium. A high sodium diet increases the risk of osteoporosis and other cardiovascular complications. Consequently, people should limit the juice amount to avoid unexpected results.
2. Home Remedies For Mouth Sores – Cassava
Cassava, one of effective home remedies for mouth sores, is a creeping plant with the length can reach up to 10m. Root grows into long, and big one. Cassava is planted by trunk which was harvested fromthe previous crop. It is very easy to grow and is usually planted in the late spring or early summer. All the parts of cassava can be used as medicines.
Cassava can detoxify the body; prevent the damage caused by hepatitis, especially mouth sore. For the people who suffermouth sore, the supplement of cassava powder is one of the best methods to help cure very quickly and should not be ignored. How to do:
Method 1: Cassava Powder
- Take 3 teaspoon of cassava powder
- Add 250ml of water and a little sugar
- Dissolve the mixture
- Drink the juice 2 times per day after the meal to experience the results
Method 2: Make Soup
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of cassava powder
- Pour 100ml of cold water in the powder
- Stir the mixture
- Put the container on the stove to boil
- While heating, remember to stir constantly to avoidclots
- When the powder dissolves completely and turns to white, dense paste. It is well cooked
- Keep the paste under room temperature
- Savor the soup
- Repeat the process 3 times a week.
- Do not add honey into cassava powder because it can lead to sudden death
- Never drink cassava juice in the early morning because it will accumulate on stomach
3. Home Remedies For Mouth Sores – Honey
The cause of mouth sore is due to the body’s immune system depletion, enabling bacteria to easily attack your mouth, causing ulcers in your mouth, sometimes on your tongue or in other parts of your mouth . According to a new study published recently, honey is considered the safest and most effective way of treating mouth sore. Take a look at the following way:
Method 1: Apply Honey To The Ulcer After Eating
- Pour a little honey into the small bowl
- Use cotton ball soaked with honey to apply to the ulcer
- Repeat the process 3 times
Method 2: Gargle With Honey
- Drink some honey and put it in your mouth, in infected parts
- Leave it for 1 minutes then swallow
- Only after 3 days will the mouth ulcer disappear completely.
Method 3: Mix Honey With Turmeric Starch
- Add a teaspoon of honey together with a teaspoon of turmeric starch
- Mix it gently to become a paste
- Apply this pasteon the ulcer areas
- Leave it for 2 minutes
- Wash your mouth with warm water
- Honey has antiseptic features, killing harmful bacteria and fungus in the mouth while turmeric starch helps heal wounds.
4. Fresh Milk And Yogurt
Yogurt is a dairy product made from natural fermentation. Fermented bacteria interact with natural sugars in milk to form acid lactic, which makes the yogurt special. Yogurt contains live bacteria – a healthy bacterium called lactobacillus casein. Many studies indicatedthat consumption of yogurt can increase the number of white blood cells in the body. Therefore, yogurt is considered to be effective in strengthening the immune system, which works against the disease. Besides bacteria called lactobacillus in yogurt can help reduce inflammation. Hence, it is vital if you can consume yogurt for treating mouth sore. How to do:
Method 1: Eat Raw Yogurt
- Every day eating a cup of yogurt will be very good for curing mouth heat
- The good bacteria in yogurt go through the mouth to heal the stain, and it is the smooth and sweetness of yogurt helps to relieve pain.
Method 2: Apply Yogurt On Infected Mouth Area
- Wash your hands with water and soap
- Pour a teaspoon yogurt into a small spoon
- Apply the yogurt directly onto infected area
- Shake your mouth gently so that yogurt can spread all over the area for at least 3 minutes
- Wash your mouth thoroughly with warm water to remove yogurt
- Repeat once or twice a week.
Caution: Yogurt should be eaten after meals, since the beneficial bacteria in yogurt survive at pH conditions greater or equal 4.5. When you are in hungry mood, the pH in the stomach is only 2, so if you consume yogurt, then the beneficial bacteria in yogurt are destroyed. After eating, the stomach contracted drastically, the pH increased, which is a great environment for the beneficial bacteria in yogurt to work well.
5. Home Remedies For Mouth Sores – Supplement Vitamins And Minerals
When it comes to home remedies for mouth sores, you should add vitamins C, B1, B2, A and zinc to help regenerate the lining faster. Supplementing vitamin B1 and B2 helps prevent recurrent mouth sore, even effective to those who do not lack vitamin. According to the study, vitamin B1 and B2 intake should be 1 mg daily, consume twice a day for 6 months.
In addition, iron supplementation is essential for the body, especially the lack of iron also increases the risk of oral heat. However, to know exactly amount of need in your diet, you should seek advice from experts.
There are many types of fruits containing such vitamins above such as orange juice or lemon juice etc. Orange or lemon juice contains high levels of vitamin C, which is very beneficial in promoting the immune system, anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory. According to researchers, orange juiceor lemon juice contains folate, a vitamin B that plays an important role in the formation of new cells, promoting the healing of wounds and sores. With effective anti-inflammatory properties, it will be very useful for people with mouth sore.
6. Cold Compress
Putting an ice pack on your abdomen might decrease the condition of mouth sore. Also, it might lessen swelling and pain. What you need to do is:
- Hold a small ice pack in your mouth to relieve heat and reduce inflammation. The coldness of ice slows the blood flow to the sores, thereby reducing pain and swelling.
If you feel it is too cold and your mouth becomes numb, you should remove the pack
7. Home Remedies For Mouth Sores – Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar, as well as other types of vinegar, is a product of natural fermentation. When sugar is fermented with alcohol, it can be made into a kind of sour solution called vinegar. Apple cider vinegar is made from crushed apple; its constituent consists of amino acids, acetic acid and some other acids. Apple cider vinegar also contains a variety of vitamins and minerals .
It is that apple cider vinegar has the ability to kill bacteria while increasing the beneficial bacteria, it acts as a natural antibiotic for oral sore.Take the following steps:
- Take 1-2 teaspoons of unfiltered, raw apple cider vinegar
- Add 1 glass of warm water
- Gargle daily so mouth sores will disappear quickly
Starfruit is a fruit easily found in the home garden of many families, especially families in the countryside. People usually use starfruit for preparing a multitude of delicious dishes but not notice that this kind of fruit has many good effects on the body.
Starfruit is a fruit that contains large amounts of vitamin C to supply for the body. In addition, 5 ridges haveacid oxalic and trace elements such as Ca, Fe, Na, K, A, B1, B2 and P. Using green starfruit will help you feel cool and can treat mouth ulcers from the inside. What you need to do is:
- Cut 2 or 3 soar starfruits into small segments
- Put the starfruits into water and heat until it boils
- Steam about 5 minutes.
- Keep the mixture cool at room temperature
- Use sieve to filter the juice into the bottle, remove the residue
- Every day if not having to eat or talk much, take this juice to swallow
- Performed continuously for 3-4 days, mouth sores will disappear quickly.
Radish is very familiar food in our daily life.With the characteristics such as cool, sweet and easy to eat so radish is very popular when processing the daily food. Additionally, this kind of vegetable also has unexpected effects on health. With high water amount contained and lots of vitamin C as well as phosphorus and zinc, radish is a nutritious food for the tissues and can help the body retain water, improving skin health, cleansing the body naturally, increasing the body’s immune resistance.
Take the following steps:
- Peel off the radish skin
- Grate / crush fresh radishflesh
- Mix grated radish with plain water to form a liquid
- Strain this mixture by putting this solution into a cloth
- Gargle 3 times a day
10. Home Remedies For Mouth Sores – CoconutOil
Coconut oils is listed in this list of home remedies for mouth sores because works well thanks to its antibacterial properties. Coconut oil not only retains moisture and prevents your mouth from becoming dry but it also improves the process of new tissue growth. How to apply:
Method 1: Gargle With Coconut Milk
- After brushing your teeth by usual toothpaste, gargle with a little pure coconut oil
- Repeat the process 2 times per day
Method 2: Apply Directly Coconut Milk
- Take a teaspoon of coconut oil
- Soak a cotton ball into the oil
- Put it on the ulcer area in the mouth
- Hold it for a minute
- The pain will go away for quite a while
11. Home Remedies For Mouth Sores – Aloe Vera
In addition to the use of beauty, aloe vera can also be the method of mouth sore treatment, which is very effective. Instead of relying on antibiotics, not good for the body, people should take advantageof using aloebecause thanks to glycoprotein, aloe vera has anti-inflammatory and allergy properties, helping heal wounds . Moreover, aloe vera also helps to detoxify the body by enhancing metabolism in the liver, kidney; helps to eliminate toxins in the cell.With all these positive effects, why don’t we use aloe vera as a useful method in treating mouth sores? How to do:
- Cut a piece of aloe leaf
- Wash the leaf through and through
- Shave off the outer green skin and then take the white “meat”
- Slide the white “meat” into a small pieces
- Put it in the infected areas
- Aloe vera’s resin has antibacterial properties that helps reduce swelling and heal pain.
- Redo the process two to three times per week to have best results
Houttuyniacordata or can be known as a different name is fishy-smell herb. It is normally used as an herbal garnish. This kind of raw vegetable has anunusable taste which is often mentioned as fishy. “Fishy leaf” not only be used as a vegetable, it is considered a magic treatment thanks to many effects such as antibacterial, parasitic kill, anti-cancer. Now, let’s have a look at how to use:
- Take 10 houttuyniacordata leaves
- Wash clearly with water
- Chop leaves into small slices
- Grind these leave slices to make a paste
- Put this onion paste into a cloth
- Squeeze to get fresh houttuyniacordata juice
- Apply this juice evenly all over your infected areas
- Leave it for 15 minutes
- Repeat treatment twice a week for better results
13. Sweet Leaf
Sweet leaf, one of the traditional folk dishes but brings a very high nutrition and works for some common diseases in life.
Also known as katuk, star gooseberries are vegetables that grow into dusts that are widely famous in tropical climates, especially in Vietnam. The nutrition contained in sweet leaf gives people not only good health, but it is also effective in healing you cannot ignore. Thus, if you are looking for home remedies for mouth sores, then do not skip sweet leaf:
Here is what you need to do:
- Cut a handful of fresh sweet leaves
- Wash them clearly with water
- Grind these leaves to make a paste
- Take a cloth to put this paste in it
- Squeeze to gain fresh and purified juice
- Use a cotton ball soaked with this juice
- Put cotton ball on infected or swelling areas
- Let it rest for 2 minutes
- Repeat the procedure once every three days
14. Home Remedies For Mouth Sores – Dental hygiene
- You should rinse your mouth with salt water regularly to remove bacteria in the mouth, especially in the evening before going bed to prevent infection.
- Brush your teeth at least 2 times per day. But you should bear in mind that long brushing will make you feel pain so just gently clean the teeth for 1 to 2 minutes, then rinse with mouthwash having function soothing some of the burning sensations. Its antiseptic properties also help to mop the mucus layer around the ulcer. Consequently, the wound in the mouth has been painless, newly disinfected then will heal quickly.
- Completely avoid the use of toothpaste and mouthwash containing sodium lauryl sulfate.This is a foam causing heat in the mouth and recurrence of mouth sores. A study conducted in Norway showed the relationship between sodium lauryl sulfate and the number of people suffers mouth sores. It was found that the modification effect of sodium lauryl sulfate on the oral mucosa will contact with muscle cells, which increasing the chance of being affected with oral sore.
15. Change Eating Habits
- Drink water daily: The more you drink, the less. Remember to drink at least 2 liters of filtered water every day to keep your body fresh. This is the simplest and least expensive way to prevent heat in mouth.
- Limit eating some kinds of foods such asdry and fried ones because such food group is irritable. To be more specific when people consume those foods, they naturally absorb water from the body, resulting in water shortages, causing heat rising. To solve this problem, you need to drink mineral water, not filtered water to make up for water because the pure water cannot make up enough water in this case.
- Avoid drinking alcohol and stimulants: Alcohol and fizzy drinks should be limited when you suffer mouth sores because these drinks often hurt the ulcers and make them worse.
The above-mentioned home remedies for are claimed to be able to reduce the symptoms of mouth sores. Choose some of them and alternate them in your treating to see how effective they are. If you have any contributing ideas about our article of “Top 21 natural home remedies for mouth sores” introduced in Home Remedies Category, do not hesitate to drop your words below this post. We will answer as soon as we could.