Numbness is not a rare condition which often happens in hands and feet. It is associated with other changes, like pins-and-needles sensations, tingling or burning. The fingers, arms, hands, and feet might feel weak or clumsy. If you or your family members suffer from this phenomenon, don’t worry since there are always practical home remedies for numbness that you can apply right from your own comfort. Let’s check out some basics about numbness first!
What Is Numbness In Hands And Feet?
The numbness in hands and feet occurs due to the damage, compression, or irritation in the motor nerves. It starts with symptom such as numbness, muscle weakness, etc. If status becomes worse, you may lose control of motor nerves. In the primary of numbness in hands and feet, it should be examined and treated early to avoid more severe neurological complications. This disease is very common and dangerous because it can lead to most motor nerve diseases. As depending on the cause of numbness in hands and feet, patients need to have treating method suitably.
What Are Common Causes Of Numbness In Hands And Feet?
The numbness in hands and feet can be from a physiological or pathological cause.
- Physiological cause:
When the body is in a status that makes blood vessels and nerves squeezed for a long time, blood is stagnant and difficult to circulate. In this case, blood vessels will produce acid and make you feel numbness in hands and feet.
People that have the weak immunity shall be easy to impact when change environment such as too windy, cold and hot weather. Sometimes, taking some medicines may also become a cause of numbness in hands and feet.
- Pathological manifestation:
Pregnant women, malnourished children or elderly people who suffer from asthenia, they often experience problems such as lack of vitamin B1, vitamin B12, calcium, potassium, or folic acid. Trachoma is often encountered.
Metabolic disorders such as obesity, atherosclerosis, diabetes mellitus, high blood fat, etc. also cause numbness in hands and feet due to peripheral neuropathy and increased numbness move more seriously.
Nervous system diseases such as disk, cervical degeneration, nerve and cardiovascular disease, migraine or anemia may also cause nerve compression or numbness in hands and feet.
Other causes of numbness in hands and feet may be from TB infection, tuberculosis, typhoid fever, viral or copper poisoning, lead, mercury, or industrial chemicals.
What Are Symptoms Of Numbness In Hands And Feet?
Numbness in hands and feet can be from the physiological or pathological manifestation. But almost its symptoms are follows:
- Numbness, feeling stiffness, cramp in fingertips or toes tip
- The increasing level of numbness in fingers and toes; pain along with entire arm, difficult to take anything by hand or to walk
- In addition, the similar symptoms also appear in the feet, ankles, legs, buttocks, thighs and waist.
When To See A Doctor?
It is crucial to pinpoint the causes of numbness. In case this condition spreads or persists to other body parts, you need to see a doctor for a precise evaluation. The treating method for numbness in hands and feet will depend on underlying causes.
If your numbness is accompanied by paralysis or weakness, difficulty talking, confusion or severe, sudden headache or dizziness, you should also consult your doctor. If it is related to some specific activities or tasks, particularly repetitive motions, or it impacts just one part of your hands or feet, like a finger, you should also schedule a visit to your doctor.
You should treat the numbness in hand and feet timely when having the symptom above. In this article, we suggest you some tips to reduce it effectively. Please spare a little time to see our article “19 Natural Home Remedies For Numbness In Hands And Feet Relief” and choose the best suitable method. Take a look at TrueRemedies.com. However, let ask your doctor before taking any home remedies for numbness in hands and feet.
Top 19 Natural And Effective Home Remedies For Numbness In Hands And Feet Relief
1. Warm Compress
The warm compress is seemed to be an instant solution among home remedies for numbness in hands and feet you should try. Actually, it is the first thing to do when you begin to feel something strange in your hands and feet. This method is dirty cheap and comes with no side effects.
All you need to implement is warm up the numbness areas. This method helps accelerate blood circulation to the area of numbness. Especially, the muscle in hands and feet will be relaxed. What you need to do is extremely simple as below:
- Soak the towel in warm water
- Squeeze the towel and place it on the numb areas for 10 minutes
- Continue to do again until you feel better
- You can also use warm water faucets or patches to reduce discomfort
- Use this way at the time that numbness appears
- Prepare a cup of rice and a pair of sock
- Take rice and put it into the sock and then heat them in a microwave for 3 minutes
- After heating, put the sock on the numb positions for 5 minutes to bring sensation to these positions.
- Apply this method as soon as you feel any the numbness symptom in hands and feet
As symptoms of numbness in hands and feet occur, massaging the affected areas is regarded as an effective home remedy in order to circulate the blood vessel as well as reduce numb symptoms.
In addition, the affected muscles and nerves will be relaxed during massage process; therefore, if you do it daily, the frequency of numbness will reduce. You can use some oils to massage on numb areas. Each oils has different characteristic. You should read carefully some methods below to elect the best appropriate one to do.
Applying coconut oil and massage it on the skin gently will help lubricate and loosen the hardened parts. In addition, this oil supports promote blood circulation between joints. Thus, we suggest you to use coconut oil to massage after taking a bath in order to obtain the best results. All you need to do is:
- Take 2~3 teaspoons of coconut oil
- Apply the prepared oil on the position of numbness
- Use fingers to massage around the numb area for 5~7 minutes
- Implement this way every day within 2 weeks
Olive oil is also a good home remedy for numbness because its properties help relax the muscles and nerves as well as enhance blood circulation. You only need to do simple steps as following to improve the numb symptoms.
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of olive oil and heat it by a microwave for 1~2 minutes
- And then, rub oil on numb areas for 7~8 minutes
- You can use olive oil to massage twice a day (before going to sleep and after waking up)
Mustard oil is extracted from mustard seeds. Some published studies showed that omega-3, omega-6 fatty acids, vitamin E and antioxidants are abundant in this oil; thus, mustard oil is considered one of the healthiest oils.
According to Eastern medicine, people use mustard oil for a long time because of its healing properties and herbal actions which are beneficial to your hair, skin and body. In addition, the high level of magnesium in this oil not only stimulates blood circulation but also improves the nerve system.
- Prepare 2~3 drops of mustard oil and heat it
- Use the mustard oil to massage on the affected area for 10~20 minutes
- Apply this method 3~4 times daily during 2 months to get rid of numb symptoms
Some studies have shown that massaging rosemary oil on the skin can reduce the pain associated with arthritis. According to Eastern medicine, this oil is also used in treating of muscle pain and increasing blood circulation. Here is a very easy method that you can use rosemary oil for numbness relief.
- Prepare 2~3 drops of rosemary and a carrier oil
- Mix 2 oils above well
- And then, heat them in a microwave for 2 minutes
- After heating, take the warm mixture and massage for 10 minutes
- In order to obtain effectiveness, do this way once a day
One of the main effects of lavender oil is to calm the nervous system thanks to its aroma. Therefore, it is easy to understand why this essential oil is present as an ingredient in tonics used to treat headaches, depression and nervous tension.
Besides, lavender oil has the ability to relieve muscle pain, arthritis, sprains and pain in joints. In addition, it also helps improve blood circulation and support to equilibrate blood pressure. You can massage lavender essential oil directly onto numb areas or combine it with other oils if you like. Here we suggest you a mixture of lavender and carrier oil.
- Prepare 2~3 drops of lavender and carrier oil
- Mix and heat them well
- Apply the mixture on numb skin areas and massage it well for 15 minutes or until feeling the back sensation to these areas
- Do it twice a day
As you know, doing regular exercise is always good for our general health. It stimulates the blood circulation to hands and feet, thereby protecting the body from numbness sensation. Moreover, other health problems also can be improved if you usually do exercise.
- Some simple exercises to do at home for feet and hands for 15 minutes daily in the morning. Also, exercise your arms, wrists, hands and legs by doing curls and stretches at work.
- If you have a lot of time, you should spare about 20~25 minutes for aerobic exercises.
- You should use this method daily to treat the symptom of numbness in hands and feet
- Enjoy bicycling or jogging 3~4 times a week to strengthen blood circulation.
- Note: Just ensure your clothes and shoes make you feel comfortably. Besides, you only should apply low-impact exercises.
Turmeric contains curcumin which helps control the air element in the body. Regarding some published literatures, air helps blood circulate easier. Turmeric is also known as an anti-inflammatory property; thus using turmeric helps reduce discomfort and pain. Besides, anti-ischemic agent supports to improve blood supply process to nerves in the body. Thus, using turmeric regularly will reduce numbness in hands or feet effectively.
- Prepare a teaspoon of turmeric powder and a cup of milk
- Put turmeric powder into a cup of milk and stir them nicely
- Heat the mixture, and then add a little bit honey to taste
- Drinking it before going to bed once a day will improve blood circulation in the body as well as reduce numb symptom effectively.
- Prepare a tablespoon of turmeric powder and a little bit water
- Add water in a bowl of turmeric powder until making a paste form
- Apply the paste on the numb areas and massage these well for 15 minutes
- Clean the paste with warm water.
- Implement it 3~4 times per day to achieve effectively.
5. Epsom Salt
A long time ago, Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) was known as a home remedies to reduce numbness. The Epsom salt crystals help strengthen magnesium levels as well as raise blood circulation in the body. Therefore if you absorb adequate quantity of Epsom salt, it will relieve numb areas effectively and prevent it coming back. All you need to implement is very simple as mentioned as below:
- Prepare 4~5 tablespoons of Epsom salt and a basin of warm water
- Take Epsom salt and put it into the basin
- Stir it well
- After that soak your feet and hands in the basin for 15 minutes
- Do this method 3~4 times a week to achieve good result
- Note: It needs to avoid this method for who have kidney problems or diabetes
Cinnamon includes numerous nutrients such as potassium, manganese and many important B vitamins. These substances support to improve blood circulation to all parts of the body. Thus, it helps reduce numb areas. Some published literatures have shown that absorbing around 2~3 grams of cinnamon a day will treat numbness in hands and feet effectively. It only takes around 2 minutes to use cinnamon for numbness. Let do it right now.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder and a cup of warm water
- Put cinnamon powder in the cup of warm water above and stir it well
- Drink it after eating something
- Do it once a day
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder, 1 teaspoon of honey and a small cup of warm water
- Mix cinnamon powder with honey and stir it nicely
- Swallow the mixture above and then drink a little bit of warm water
- Do this way daily after having breakfast during a month for good results
7. Indian Gooseberry
Indian gooseberry is known as a good home remedy for numbness in hands and feet. The substances in Indian gooseberry help decrease oxidative stress which can reduce the blood circulation as well as damage the blood vessels in the body. Here is a simple method to use Indian gooseberry for treating numbness.
- Prepare a handful of Indian gooseberry
- Peel the gooseberry and cut it into 2 parts
- Apply it on the numb areas for 5~6 days
- Prepare 5~6 tablespoons of dried Indian gooseberry
- Grind it to powder form and store it in a small bottle
- Swallow 1/2teaspoon of powder above with water after waking up
- Do it once a day during 1 month for handling numbness in hands and feet
Cayenne is rich in vitamins A and C along with manganese and potassium. These nutrients are very important for stimulating proper blood circulation in your body, which can easily decrease numbness symptoms in hands and feet. You can use cayenne as adding it in your soup or salad to deal with numb areas. In this article, we will show you how to use cayenne for numbness.
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of cayenne powder, 1 tablespoon of ginger, 1 tablespoon of garlic and 1 cup of water
- Peel ginger and garlic and then chop them into many pieces
- Take all chopped ingredients and put it a pot
- Add water in the pot and heat it for 3 minutes
- And then, add prepared cayenne powder and stir it well in the pot
- Continue heat until boiling the mixture
- Wait for the mixture cool and drink it
- Do this once a day to reduce numb symptom
Chamomile contains the phenolic compounds which help to increase your immune system and prevent infections. Thus, using chamomile with right way will help strengthen process of blood circulation as well as reduce congestion. Besides, the anti-inflammatory nature of chamomile is very important for treating numb areas. There are many ways to use chamomile to get rid of numb areas; here are some simple methods:
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of dried chamomile powder and a little bit of water
- Add water in a bowl of this powder until making a paste
- Apply and rub it on the numb areas well until reducing numb symptom
- Clean the skin with warm water after leaving the paste on affected areas for 25 minutes
- Do this way once a day for good results.
- Prepare a teaspoon of dried chamomile powder and a cup of water
- Pour water into a pot and then add the powder and stir it nicely
- Boil it for 3~4 minutes
- Wait it for 5 minutes and drink it
- Enjoying this drink with a little bit of ice if you like it
- Drink it and relax every morning to reduce numb symptom effectively.
Consuming soybeans can help you increase your muscle and bone strength. They have a rich content of potassium, which are often deficient in those with numbness. Potassium is necessary to nerves’ function, so a deficiency of this nutrient could impact the electrical impulses passed from the muscles and skin to the brain and spinal cord, thereby causing a sensation lost along outer extremities. Therefore, do not hesitate to add soybeans and other potassium-rich foods to your diet like avocados, bananas, figs, potatoes, carrots, squash, cod, almonds, yogurt, halibut, etc. to harness their benefits.
However, soybeans are not suitable for people with kidney issues and diabetes.
11. White Mugwort
White mugwort is not only effective for people suffering from numbness in the hands and feet, is but also safe for patients with degenerative arthritis or other bone diseases. The application it is extremely simple. The steps you can do to utilize white mugwortfor supporting numbness in hands and feet are simple:
- Prepare a handful of white mugwort leaves, ¼ teaspoon of salt and ½ bowl of hot water
- Put these leaves into a bowl and add salt, then pour hot water inside the bowl
- Wait for 5 minutes and then apply these leaves on affected areas
- Do it 4~5 times a day for great result
12. Virgin Plants
Virility is known as an effective herb in reducing pain at the joints due to degeneration and treatment of fatigue. A lot of people used virgin plants or combined it with other ingredients and obtained good result. Only taking some minutes, you can prepare this plant to treat numbness in home.
- Prepare 20~30 g of slice form of virgin plant root and 400 ml of water
- Take this root and water and put them in a pot
- Then, heat them until remaining 100 ml of water in the pot
- Drink it twice a day as it is getting cool down
- Prepare 10 g of virgin roots, 3 g of mulberry leaves, 3 g of grapefruit plants, 3 g of seaweeds and 200 ml of water
- Operate similar with method 1 and drink it once a day after having dinner to decrease numbness
Luffaacutangula is sweet and not toxic while green bean has cool characteristic and high nutritional components. Using combination of two ingredients can make a nutrient-rich food and beneficial for the blood. All you need to do is extremely simple as follows:
- Prepare 50 g of green bean, 100 g of glutinous rice and 50 g of luffaacutangula
- Peel luffaacutangula
- Clean the ingredients from dirt and cook them for 15 minutes
- And then, add luffaacutangula and stop until boiling the mixture
- You should eat it when it is hot.
- Do it every day to replace your soup
14. Red Bean And Fresh Ginger
Red bean is known not only as a familiar food, but also as a precious medicinal plant.
Dried seeds of red bean contain 10.8% of water, 0.5% of lipid and 64.4% of glucid. The seeds also include a, b – globulin, vitamins A1, B1, B 2, calcium, phosphor and iron.
Besides, red bean has properties of antibacterial, anti inflammatory, diuretic, decreasing cholesterol and increasing blood circulation.
Fresh ginger contains substances such as protein, fiber, sugar, several other vitamins, carbohydrates, and minerals of calcium, potassium, magnesium, zinc, and phosphorus. In addition, scientists found that fresh ginger contains essential oils as well as glaze, which is very effective in pain relief, reducing inflammation effectively.
Thus, if you use combination of fresh ginger and red bean daily, it will help treat numbness for great result. Let spare a little time to apply the method below right now.
- Prepare 3 g of mint leaves, 50 g of red beans, 3 slices of ginger, sugar and water
- Pour 100 ml of hot water into a bowl of prepared mint leaves
- Put all remained ingredients in a pan and cook them with enough of water
- Add the red sugar and stir it nicely
- Finally pour mint water in the pan and boil it again.
- Doing this drink to get rid of numbness is very effective in winter
15. Magnesium-Rich Foods
Lack of magnesium mineral in the body is known as a root cause of numbness. This is because magnesium prevents the damage the motor nerves and maintains operation of blood circulation smoothly. Therefore, if you absorb enough magnesium, it will treat as well as prevent the numbness effectively. You can take magnesium supplements; however, we suggest that you should consume magnesium-rich foods daily.
- Consume magnesium-rich foods such as seed, avocado, fish, butter, yogurt without sugar, banana, bean
- Use foods mentioned above daily to improve the numb symptoms
16. Piper Lolot
Piper lolot are not strange to everyone, it makes the food become more attractively, but also has the ability to treat degenerative arthritis, causing numbness in hands and feet effectively. According to medical studies, essential oils and alkaloids in piper lolot have antiseptic property well and reduce pain effectively for people with bone pain, numbness in hands and feet. Only taking a little time to apply this way:
- Prepare 15~30g of piper lolot leaves or 5-10g of dried leaves and 2 bowls of water
- Give all ingredients in a pot and heat them until remaining ½ bowl of water
- Drink it after having dinner
- Use this method for 10 days to decrease the numbness of hands and feet
17. Foods High In B Vitamins
Vitamin B12 and vitamin B6 play an important role in enhancing nerves’ function. Therefore, absorbing these vitamins with controlled amount is very important for treating numb areas. Include vitamin B6 and vitamin B12 rich foods in your diet to handle mild-to-moderate deficiencies  .
For vitamin B12, just taking a serving of wild-caught fish such as salmon, tuna, herring or mackerel, a day could offer you a few times of them recommended everyday dose. Other goods sources are beef, turkey, lamb, and organic yogurt. For vitamin B6, you can eat foods which are rich in this vitamin like organic turkey breast, pistachio nuts, avocado, and grass-fed beef.
In case you are severely deficient in these vitamins, consider using supplements. However, if you suffer from vitamin B6 deficiency, it is necessary to consult your doctor prior to taking any supplement because it might interact with a variety of medications, such as high blood pressure drugs, antibiotics, asthma medications, antidepressants, and chemotherapy.
18. Vitamin D
Deficiency of vitamin D is associated with restless leg syndrome, chronic pain, multiple sclerosis, and some autoimmune diseases, which are known to result in numbness in hands and feet . Therefore, you had better spend more time in the sun every day, eat more vitamin D-rich foods such as swordfish, sardines, wild-caught halibut, and mackerel, or add a supplement to your daily routine to get more vitamin D.
Have you satisfied with the information as well as the home remedies for numbness in hands and feet above? Let spare a little time to select the best home remedy for you. Also, if you are undergoing follow-up or taking any medication, you should make appointment to consult your doctor about the use of herbs mentioned in our article. All methods mentioned in this article are used herbs from nature and are not harmful to your health.
19. Gingko Biloba
This is a herb used commonly in Ayurvedic medicine. It could be beneficial in eradicating and preventing numbness in both hands and feet. According to scientists, gingko biloba has powerful properties that can improve blood circulation in the body . You can use this herb in the supplement form. The usual dosage is 40 mg and divided into 3 times per day. If you are using any medications, consult your doctor first for safety.
If you have any concern regarding the home remedies, please refer to our article “19 Home Remedies For Numbness In Hands And Feet” presented in Home Remedies Category. Your comments and ideas are always welcomed. We will try to give the feedback to you as soon as possible.