The fleshy, soft growths hanging from the human skin are referred to as skin tags. In fact, skin tags are referred to as acrochordons within the medical community and are not cancerous. Generally, they are considered as cosmetic concern, not a medical problem. Rarely, they might cause discomfort and pain. However, many people find them unsightly and wish to know how to get rid of skin tags on face and neck naturally at home.
This article is written particularly for those who want to remove skin tags without any bleeding, discomfort, and scarring. These are 30 most affordable and best homemade ways that work. Basing on your choice, you can be free from skin tags.
First of all, learn some basics about this condition on TrueRemedies.com!
What Are Skin Tags?
Skin tags are acquired benign skin growths which resemble a soft, small balloon suspended on the slender stalk. They harmless fleshy tags appear deformed in shape. They are considered the most common bump on mature skin.
Oftentimes, skin tags happen on the neck, eyelids, arms and lower parts of the breasts, and armpits. It is common in both men and women. Obesity seems to be associated with the development of skin tag. Despite skin tags might fall off spontaneously, the majority of them persist after formed. Sometimes, skin tags are called “Skin tabs”.
Typically, the majority of tags are small, from 2 – 5 mm in diameter, at about 1/3 to ½ a pencil eraser’s size. Some skin tags might become as large as a fig or a big grape.
What Causes Skin Tags?
Until now, the precise causes of skin tags are not know. Skin tags are made of loose collagen fibres as well as blood vessels that are surrounded by the skin. Collagen is a kind of protein which is found throughout the human body.
In reality, both males and females develop skin tags. Usually, they happen in obese or older people, or people having type 2 diabetes.
Pregnant women might be more likely to develop skin tags after having some changes in hormone levels. Some people develop skin tags without any apparent reason.
Skin tags might develop in skin folds, such as the armpits, neck and groin. It explains why they might impact overweight people with excess folds of skin along with skin chafing.
What Are Signs And Symptoms Of Skin Tags?
As usual, skin tags are small flaps of tissue hanging off the skin. They often locate on:
- Eyelids and under the eyes
- On the neck
- In armpits and under arms
- Under the breast
- Around and in the groin area
What Are Risk Factors?
There are a few recognized risk factors of skin tags, which are:
- Being female
- Certain endocrine syndromes, hormonal imbalances, metabolic syndrome. In fact, experts noted that people with skin tags had higher blood pressure in compared with those having no skin tags .
When To Visit A Doctor?
Normally, skin tags are not harmful and do not cause discomfort or pain. But, you should pay attention to your skin tags if they impact your self-esteem, or if they snag on the jewelry or clothes and bleed.
But, this does not mean you have to visit a doctor. You just need to have a consultation with your health care provider if this problem impacts your physical and mental health.
Skin tags, sometimes, fall off naturally if the tissue has died or twisted from the lack of blood supply.
How To Get Rid Of Skin Tags On Face and Neck – 30 Effective Ways
As mentioned earlier, skin tags are resulted from the accumulation of blood vessels as well as collagen in the thicker parts of the human skin. They are seen as a cosmetic issue, not a medical one, so your health insurance will likely not pay for it to be eliminated. Due to this, learning how to get rid of skin tags on face and neck naturally at home could help you save money and time. Fortunately, after removed, they often do not grow back again in the same skin area.
Nonetheless, before learning home treatments for this skin disorder, it is still crucial to emphasize that any changes in your own skin, such as skin tags and moles, should be check by your dermatologist or physician to help rule out skin cancer, including basal cell carcinoma, melanoma, and squamous cell carcinoma. Now, it is time to discover 10 natural treatments for skin tags that can help.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has been used for generations for daily skin care routines due to its ability to fight off harmful bacteria as well as fungi, balance pH levels, etc. Organic type of ACV is always recommended using for treating skill disorders, including warts, eczema, skin tags and acne .
What you have to do is:
- Soak a clean cotton ball in ACV and apply it over your affected skin
- Use a bandage to secure it for 20 minute or so
- After removing, rinse it off with cool water
- Repeat this routine 2 times per day, especially before your bed time
As normal, if there is no skin irritation, your skin tag might start to get darker in color, which implies it is dying. It may take several days or sometimes a few weeks to see noticeable results, yet this warrants you a safe solution for removing skin tags.
2. Tea Tree Oil
Having strong antiseptic properties, tea tree oil has an ability of killing fungal infections whilst also soothing the skin. That is why is mentioned in this list of methods on how to get rid of skin tags at home. Tea tree oil is an effective treatment for a wide range of skin disorders, such as eczema, acne, skin tags and psoriasis.
In order to remove skin tags, you should follow the steps here:
- Apply 6-8 drops of good quality tea tree oil to the cotton ball
- Put it over your skin tag and use a bandage to secure it
- After 15 minutes, remove it off
- Repeat this routine 3 times per day for about 1 week to see good results
The amount of time you should repeat this method depends on the size and location of your problem. The majority of people experience any redness, discomfort and itching, so stop using it if you notice any of such signals.
3. Oil Of Oregano
This is a member of mint family which can relieve a significant number of skin issues, fungal and bacterial infections, viruses and so on. It has powerful anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. Due to this, oil of oregano should be mixed with a carrier oil, be it almond oil or coconut oil, prior to applying directly on your skin .
- Mix a carrier oil with good quality of oil of oregano as the ratio of 1:2
- Apply it to your skin 3 times per day to remove skin tags
Note: You do not need to cover it with a bandage, but avoid applying it onto irritated or broken skin.
4. Castor Oil
Castor oil is a common essential oil with multiple uses, particularly for skin care. It is able to detoxify and cleanse the skin naturally while absorbing the moisture from the skin tags, making them shrink. If you use castor oil for skin tag removal continually, it will not only come off the skin but also not leave a scar behind. Besides, with rich content of nutrients, castor oil is good for your skin health  .
When it comes to using castor oil as one of methods on how to get rid of skin tags, there are a number of ways to take its advantage but the followings are the most recommended:
Method 1: Castor oil and Baking soda
Baking soda can release hydrogen ions that may dehydrate your skin tags and remove them .
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of baking soda and castor oil together to create a sticky paste
- Wash the affected area with mild soap
- Then, sterile a needle or prick the skin tag’s centre to help the mixture penetrate into deeply.
- Take an emery board to scrape the tag gently
- Apply the paste all over your skin tag
- Use a band-aid to cover it up
- Repeat this routine thrice per day for 2 months or so
Note: For extra benefits, you can use ground aspirin, lemon juice and peppermint oil to mix with the paste above.
Method 2: Castor oil and Lomathium Herbal Extract
- Mix several drops of lomathium herbal extract with castor oil
- Apply this mixture over your skin
- Allow it to dry naturally and repeat this method 2-3 times per day
Method 3: Castor oil and tea tree oil
As mentioned earlier, tea tree oil have antiseptic and antimicrobial effects and are helpful in decreasing the size of skin tags by depriving them of blood supply and oxygen.
What you have to do is:
- Mix 1 teaspoon of castor oil with 3-4 drops of tea tree oil
- Wash the affected area with mild soap and water, pat dry then
- Apply the combination on your skin, wait till it dries
- Repeat this routine 3-4 times per day
- Remember that castor oil might lead to allergic reactions to some individuals, so it is recommended testing prior to applying directly on your affected skin. If there is any irritation, stop using it.
- Castor oil might work for some people and might not for others. Try another remedy unless it works for you.
- Try to apply castor oil onto the area having skin tags that have fallen off to prevent their reoccurrence.
- Monitor your blood sugar levels if you are diabetic because people with diabetes are prone to this skin issue.
5. Pineapple Juice
If you are looking for natural but delicious ways on how to get rid of skin tags, look nowhere but the pineapple juice in your kitchen. Having citric acid, pineapple juice can break down skin tags rapidly, while also rejuvenating the skin cells due to its fibrous nature . It also reduces the potential risk of scarring. Pineapple juice, in fact, is less harsh on your skin than lemon juice. You can make use of it a few times per day to get faster results.
- Dip a clean cotton ball into pineapple juice
- Rub it over your skin tags and wait until it dries out completely
- Repeat this method a few times per day for 10-14 days to get noticeable results.
6. Nail Polish
This sounds strange regarding ways on how to get rid of skin tags, but it does work. If you have nail polish in your house, you can wrap a piece of dental floss around it, this will help the skin tag lose air as well as blood flow and fall off.
However, remember to tie a piece of string around the skin tag. Depending on the location it is located on your body, you may feel hard to do it on your own.
- Pain a drop of nail polish on your skin tags, choose the clear type if they are in the area not being covered by clothing
- Allow the polish to dry completely
- Gently wash it in the morning or peel it off
- Repeat this process daily till your problem disappears
In fact, this tip works rather similarly to the “duct tape method”, yet it is somehow more discrete, depending on the kind of nail polish you resort.
Note: Make sure that your skin is clean before applying the nail polish.
7. Onion Juice
The Mother Nature has full of ways to heal our bodies, and onion is an effective treatment for removing skin tags. Thanks to antioxidants and phytonutrients properties in onion juice, it can detoxify your body as well as skin, thereby preventing moles, skin tags and warts  . Besides, with rich content of vitamins and minerals, onion juice has an ability of keeping your digestive system healthy and protected from the UV rays which may result in wrinkles and fine lines.
- Take an onion to mince and put it into a container
- Add a pinch of salt into
- Leave it there overnight before straining it via a cheesecloth to extract the juice
- Keep it aside for about 5-6 hours, then apply it over your affected skin, use a band-aid to cover it up
- Wait till the next morning to remove it off and wash with warm water
- Repeat this routine nightly for 10-12 days
Garlic, one of powerful spices found in most kitchens all over the world. This ingredient has antiviral, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antiseptic properties that can fight against HPV that causes skin tags. Beside, due to the sulfur compound, also known as allicin, garlic is useful in drying out the tags, making it fall off naturally. Not only that, acting as an antioxidant, garlic can also protect your body against oxidative damages from free radicals, preventing skin tags .
Using garlic not only helps strengthen your immune system but also give a boost to your collagen, so your skin’ structure will become normal.
Method 1: Garlic and duct tape
- Duct tape deprives the skin tags by not supplying enough oxygen and blood for them, thereby shrinking the tag and making it black and fall off.
- Take a fresh garlic clove to cut into thin slices, place it over your skin tag
- Wrap the duct tape to help secure garlic slices
- Wait for several hours before removing and rinsing it off with tepid water
- Let your skin dry out and repeat this routine daily till your problem goes away
Method 2: Garlic and cauliflower
Cauliflower along with garlic can help in drying out the skin for skin tag removal. Because of essential nutrients included in cauliflower, it strengthens the immune system and prevents the tags from developing.
- Take a potato and cauliflower to peel and cut into pieces
- Blend these pieces, 3 garlic cloves and cauliflower into a good paste
- Apply that paste over your skin tags, leave it overnight and use a band-aid to secure it
- In the next morning, remove it off
- Reapply this tip daily for 3-4 days
Method 3: Garlic Oil
The natural oils such as extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, canola oil, and so on could be used to mix with garlic oil so that you will have a combination super useful for treating skin tags.
- Cut a fresh peeled garlic into pieces and smash it
- Place them in a pan added with 1 cup of natural oil of your choice
- Heat that mixture on a low flame for 20 minutes
- After turning off the heat, dip a clean cotton in the mixture, dab it over your skin tags
- Use a bandage to cover it and wait for several hours or even overnight
- Rinse it off with tepid water
- Repeat this routine regularly to get great results
In order to have fast results with the use of garlic for skin tag removal, it depends on some factors, such as the size of skin tags, and the location of them. Use garlic continually for about 3 days, then give it a break for 1-2 days, and repeat the process.
- Garlic is likely cause irritation to the skin surrounding your skin tags. Thus, to avoid this, you should apply a thin layer of Vaseline or any other natural oil or moisturizer to your skin prior to using this ingredient.
- People with sensitive skin should use more Vaseline.
- Do not use garlic on eye area because it may sting and lead to irritation.
9. Vitamin E
This is one of excellent solutions for those looking for ways on how to get rid of skin tags at home. Rubbing vitamin E oil over your affected skin, it will go away soon in 1-2 weeks. The mixture between vitamin E and crushed garlic when applied to your skin overnight will give you faster results than using vitamin E alone.
As versatile oil, vitamin E oil can be also used in some Recipes on How to Remove Sun Tan.
10. Lemon Juice
Rich in citric acid, lemon juice is the answer for anyone continuously looking for simple, cheap but effective ways on how to get rid of skin tags . It decomposes the cells in your skin tags.
- Take a cotton ball to soak into fresh lemon juice
- Apply it over your affected skin and allow it to dry naturally
- Repeat this 2- 3 times per day for 2- 3 weeks for noticeable results
However, the acid content in lemon juice may irritate some people with sensitive skin. Unlike other remedies on this list, lemon juice does not always warrant that there will be no scars or marks after the removal.
11. Fig Stem Juice
Not only can fig stem juice strengthen your immune system, it also prevents skin infections and balances the pH levels of the human skin. Fig stem juice also consists of vitamin B6, antioxidants, vitamin C, so it can remove warts, skin tags, moles and pimples naturally.
To take advantage of this ingredient, take the steps here:
- Blend fig stems in a blender to extract its juice
- Wash your skin tags with the warm water and dry it off
- Use a cotton ball to apply the juice over your skin tags
- Repeat this method thrice per day for 3 weeks or so
12. Turmeric And Aloe Vera
Aloe vera, a common skin care ingredients in cosmetic products, is another way on how to get rid of skin tags at home. It can break the bacteria within the inner skin, and remove it without leaving any scar. Furthermore, due to the detoxifying property, aloe vera can prevent all kinds of blemishes. It is also a rich source of nutrients, vitamins and minerals as well as amino acids, increasing the skin’s immunity and remove skin tags or marks . Meanwhile, turmeric with its antibacterial property can defeat infections and purify your blood to remove a skin tag at its root.
- Mix aloe vera gel with some turmeric powder to have a good paste
- Apply that paste over your skin using a cotton ball
- Massage gently and use a bandage to cover it
- Wait till the night to take it off
- Repeat this regularly
13. Banana Peel
The potassium, antioxidants and vitamins and nutrients in bananas can help remove skin tags, moisture your skin and remove bacteria and clean it from inside out naturally .
- After washing your skin tags and leave them dry, apply a piece of banana onto the tag
- Use a bandage to cover it
- Wait till the next morning to remove it off
- Repeat this routine daily for several weeks.
This seems a little known tip on how to get rid of skin tags naturally. Fact is, it works from inside. It can detoxify your skin and body, prevent hormonal imbalance, and boost the production of collagen. In case you are allergic to daisies, ragweed, chrysanthemums, or marigolds, you may be allergic to dandelion. Also, it might interact with specific medications; hence, consult your doctor prior to using it.
- Extract dandelion juice from its root
- Apply it over your skin tags and wait till it dries out
- Repeat this routine 3 times per day to get fast results
Alternatively, you can also extract the juice from dandelion stem.
15. Fenugreek Seeds
This herb is used for centuries in Greek, Arabian, Indian and Italian medicine. It has powerful antioxidants. Besides, with anti-inflammatory, it can increase the generation of new skin cells naturally. Despite there should be more studies carried out about the efficacy of fenugreek seeds as a treatment for skin tags, it is recommended to soak fenugreek seeds in water and leave it there overnight. After that, have this solution in the morning before having a breakfast. Or, you can also chew the soaked seeds.
Note: Avoid consuming over 100g of fenugreek seeds per day. Those people with thyroid and anemia conditions should not use this herb.
Having similar properties like garlic, ginger is one of must-try ways on how to get rid of skin tags naturally. This spice can fight against the cells of skin tags. Besides, it has anti-aging effect, preventing any premature aging signs .
- You can follow the steps introduced in the no.8 tip above (Garlic)
- Or, take a slice of fresh ginger to rub over your skin tags
- In about 2 weeks, you will see noticeable results.
You can use potato to heal skin tags without leaving any scar because it has a rich content of vitamin C. Moreover, using potatoes also assists you in removing dead skin cells to help detoxify the skin and prevent skin tags effectively.
- Take a fresh medium-sized potato to cut into thin slices
- Place a thin slice on your affected skin
- Use a band-aid to cover it and wait for 2 hours before rinsing it off
- Repeat this routine every day for about 2 weeks
Or, you can apply potato juice or grated potato for similar results.
Bloodroot can prevent the circulation of blood to the skin tags, thereby starving it. But, do not overuse bloodroot because it may harm your body and skin. It ought to be used only externally .
- Mix some water with bloodroot powder to have a good paste
- Apply the paste over your clear skin, use a bandage to cover
- Wait for 2 hours before removing it off and wash thoroughly
- Repeat twice per day for about 3 days
- Do not mix this treatment with other remedies
- Do not apply bloodroot to the genitals, eyelids, nose or lips
- Avoid using this ingredient if you are getting pregnant or nursing
- Avoid using other remedies upon using this treatment.
19. Black Walnut Hull Tincture
This is a lesser-known treatment for skin tags. Black walnut has proteins, essential fatty acids, minerals which can remove bacteria from your skin and body. Also, it has juglone, making the tags’ skin cells toxic which the body itself will kill them off. Those people having sensitive skin should use water-based recipe and just use this ingredient externally. You had better wear an apron and gloves to avoid any risky staining.
But, do not use this method for pregnant women or people having ulcer issue.
- Take the green husks out of 10 black walnuts
- Submerge the husks in water, boil it up
- Switch off the heat
- Leave it there for about 24 hours before straining
- Add vitamin C powder (optional)
- Apply the solution to your skin tags thrice per day
- Repeat this routine every day for quicker results
- After taking the husks out of 10 black walnuts, place them in a jar
- Pour a proper amount of grain alcohol into to cover them
- Cover it with lid and wait for 2 days
- Strain the solution after 48 days, then add an equal amount of water into it
- Stir it well before applying it to your skin tags using a cotton ball
- Repeat this routine twice or thrice per day
Frankincense with regenerative effects can promote the growth of new, healthy skin cells and boosts the blood circulation. Besides, it also removes skin tags without causing any pain as well as scar. But, this ingredient is not suitable for children, pregnant or nursing women.
You had better do a patch test prior to really using it.
- Mix some castor oil with Frankincense
- Use a cotton ball to apply it over your skin tag
- Cover it up with a band-aid
- Remove the band-aid before your bedtime
- Reapply again with a new band-aid
- Leave it there overnight
- Repeat this routine daily
- Use a Q-tip to apply therapeutic frankincense grade essential oil on your affected skin area
- Repeat this method every day for several days
Despite this is not a natural remedy for skin tag removal, it proves to be effective and can be taken at home without any complicated preparation. Aspirin has salicylic acid which can exfoliate the skin to eliminate impurities while decreasing the appearance of scars, wrinkles, and skin tags. Not only that, it also boost the production of collagen, making your skin look younger and smoother.
- Take an aspirin tablet to crush into a powder
- Apply it over your skin tags
- Use a duct tape to cover and leave it there to wash in the next morning
- Repeat this routine for 2-3 weeks
Alternatively, you can also mix aspirin powder with water (added with some baking soda if you want) to have a paste. Then, do the steps like above.
Comfrey can hydrate and brighten skin due to its rich content of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B1, B2, B12, A, C, E, manganese, phosphorus, iron, and calcium. Also, it can promote your body to generate new healthy skin cells while killing bacteria causing skin tags. Furthermore, comfrey has a substance named allantion that accelerates the skin cells grow faster. Besides, the rosmarinic acid within comfrey can protect our skin from UV rays as well as harmful microorganisms. You can take advantage of skin care products containing comfrey to reap its benefits. Nevertheless, do not use this ingredient for children or pregnant and nursing women.
23. Dental Floss
Not every home remedy is “natural” but there are some other methods to get rid of skin tags effectively at home which are as safe as the natural remedies mentioned here. Making use of dental floss is such way which can complete your want in 2-3 weeks. In order to remove skin tags this way, you should tie the dental floss in a knot right at the base of the skin tag. This will block the blood supply to the affected area, where it will finally go away.
24. Freeze them
This treatment involves using the liquid nitrogen to help freeze off the skin tags. By freezing them, you will inhibit the blood supply to them, and make it unable to survive. After a few times of application, you will notice changes in color and it will steadily fall off. This method is recommended by pharmacists.
How To Get Rid Of Skin Tags At Home – Preventative Measures
Actually, there is no warranted method to prevent the development of skin tags; however, you totally can take essential steps to decrease the risk of having them. Whilst the majority of people suffer from this skin disorder at some point in their lives, there are some things which could be done in order to prevent them.
- Stay in shape and live a healthy lifestyle. Losing weight, exercising more can help tone your skin
- Do not wear tight clothes.
- Add more fruits and vegetables to your daily diet
- Use a scissor or nail clipper to remove skin tags but just after sterilizing them appropriately
- Refrain from the fat made from animal oil.
- Avoid sugar.
To sum up, any of the ways on how to get rid of skin tags above are good to carry at home. Despite harmless, skin tags are nuisances. They could be removed easily and rapidly without the need to visit a doctor. But, once your condition gets worse, or you do not see any improvement with the help of these remedies, contact your professional dermatologist for proper treatment.
If you have any contributing idea about this topic of 30 Ways How to Get Rid of Skin Tags on Face and Neck at Home, leave your comment below this post. For further tips and tricks about this health and beauty, visit our main How To page.