Stretch marks are a common skin problem that many people, especially women suffer from at some points of their lives. They typically appear as bands of parallel lines on the human skin. Sometimes, people describe this condition as narrow, long streaks, stripes or lines which develop on the skin and differ in hue from the surrounding skin. Stretch marks could be visible on the human body parts, including hips, tummy, thighs, breasts, upper arms, and lower back as well. To understand clearly about this condition, read on the following parts which give you a general understanding about causes, symptoms and risk factors of this problem. Then, you will learn how to get rid of stretch marks on arms, inner thighs, and buttocks quickly and naturally.
- Home remedies for pigmentation on face and neck
- How to lighten skin naturally at home in summer
- Home remedies for skin whitening & glowing
What Are Stretch Marks?
Stretch marks, also called striae distensae, striae, striae gravidarum, etc., are a form of scarring on your skin. They are disfiguring lesions or dermal scars featured by flattening and atrophy (degeneration or wasting) of the outermost skin layer (epidermis).
Stretch marks generally are linear, smooth bands on the human skin. Depending on the skin color, they could appear as purple or red and fade over time in order to leave silvery pale marks. It is estimated that stretch marks happen in 40-90% of women and appear following quick repeated over-stretching of the skin over the weak connective tissue. It is shown that the most common areas affected are the abdomen, hips, breasts, flank, thighs, and buttocks. Changes of skin are common in pregnancy with the condition of stretch marks happening in more than 70% of pregnant women. Also, they tend to happen in adolescents who are quickly growing. Actually, stretch marks are not dangerous, and usually disappear over time.
Also, this type of dermatological scarring is especially challenging and tends to happen with puberty, obesity, weightlifting, a lot of medical conditions, certain therapeutic interventions, and rapid weight gain.
What Are Causes Of Stretch Marks?
The human skin contains 3 key layers and the stretch marks form in the middle layer when the connective tissue is weakened or stretched beyond their limitations because of rapid contraction and expansion of the skin from sudden weight gain or growth. Plus, stretch marks are caused due to the tearing of the dermis. Also, stretch marks have been found to be a consequence of an increase of cortisone in the body. Cortisone is a hormone which is naturally produced by the adrenal glands. An increase in your cortisone levels can raise the severity or probability of stretch marks by decreasing the pliability of the skin. As usual, stretch marks are common in specific circumstances, which are:
TrueRemedies Partner Solutions
Need a Help from the Leading Expert Online, Available 24/7?
They’re all here and ready to answer your questions online or by phone. Keep asking questions until you get the answer you need.
- Women experience stretch marks during pregnancy as their skin stretches in a lot of ways to make the necessary room for the growth of a baby. They usually form on the belly, but also appear on the thighs, hips, breasts, buttocks, and lower back. Stretch marks are the result of this continual stretching and tugging.
- Stretch marks sometimes happen when you quickly lose or gain weight. Adolescents might also notice this condition after a sudden growth spurt.
- They form during the rapid growth of your body, such as during pregnancy or puberty.
- Corticosteroid creams, pills, and lotions could lead to stretch marks by reducing the ability to stretch of the skin
- Medical conditions such as Marfan syndrome, Cushing’s syndrome, Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, and adrenal gland diseases could lead to stretch marks by boosting the cortisone amount in the human body.
- Stretch marks may be influenced by hormonal changes related to puberty, pregnancy, hormone replacement therapy or bodybuilding.
What Are Common Symptoms Of Stretch Marks?
Before stretch marks start to emerge, the potentially affected skin will appear pink and thin and might feel itchy or irritated.
Initially, those marks develop as raised, wrinkly streaks which could be purple, red, pink, dark brown or reddish –brown, depending on the skin tone. The streak will eventually flatten, fade and change to a silvery color over time, thereby becoming less clear. But, sometimes it may take years.
How Are Stretch Marks Diagnosed?
The doctor could tell you if you are suffering from stretch marks or not by looking at your skin and reviewing your own medical history. If you are suspected to have stretch marks because of a certain serious disease, then they might order urine, blood or imaging tests.
29 Effective Ways On How To Get Rid Of Stretch Marks On Arms And Butt
1. Cocoa Butter
It is studied that application of a lotion containing cocoa butter can help you remove stretch mark quickly. But, you can also make use of the natural cocoa butter. This ingredient has vitamin A, B1, B2, B3, C and E which both heal and boost the production of new skin cells. Thanks to its super moisturizing properties, cocoa butter can lock the moisture in your skin cells. Besides, with polyphenols content, it will improve the retention and production of skin collagen and elasticity. Not only does it replenish skin, but it also enhances new and healthy skin cell production. For women during pregnancy, just simply applying a proper amount of cocoa butter on your abdomen every day can help prevent stretch marks effectively because it helps produce collagen and improve skin elasticity. So, how to get rid of stretch marks with the help of cocoa butter? Follow these methods:
Method 1: Cocoa butter only
- Apply a small amount of cocoa butter to your affected skin area
- Massage gently for several minutes
- Repeat this routine 2-3 times per day
Method 2: Cocoa butter and olive oil
- Mix 3 tablespoons each of coconut oil, cocoa butter and olive oil together
- Massage this mixture on your impacted skin areas for some minutes
- Wait for 30 minutes or till the oils are completely absorbed into your skin
- Rinse it off with tepid water and repeat this method daily
Method 3: Cocoa Butter, coconut oil, shea butter
- Mix cocoa butter, shea butter and coconut oil with a ratio of 1:1:1
- Melt this combination by using a microwave or double boiler
- Add several drops of vitamin E oil into
- Let them cool down
- Take a small amount of the mixture and massage on your stretch marks
- Wait till the oils are absorbed into your skin
- Or, you could also use Neroli essential oil as an alternative to coconut oil
- For additional benefits, add several drops of a certain essential oil of your choice
- Repeat this routine twice per day
Method 4: Cocoa butter, tea tree oil, and aloe vera
- After washing your stretch marks with tepid water and letting it dry, you apply the freshly extract aloe vera gel onto those areas and leave it there.
- After a few hours, massage cocoa butter for several minutes
- Before hitting the hay at night, massage your affected area with tea tree oil
- The next morning, wash it off thoroughly with tepid water
- Re-apply this method daily
Method 5: Cocoa butter and lemon juice
- Add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice into ½ cup of cocoa butter
- Apply the mixture over your stretch marks
- After a few minutes of massaging, wait till it dry
- Wash it off with water
- Redo this method daily
Method 6: Cocoa butter and glycerin
- Mix cocoa butter with glycerin with the ratio of 1:1
- Apply the mixture and massage it on your stretch marks
- Wait till it dries entirely. Then, apply a little vitamin E oil to help improve the elasticity of your skin
- Do this method thrice per day
- Do not use cocoa butter when you have bruises, cuts or blisters
- Just use raw and virgin cocoa butter for the best results
- If you experience skin rashes, redness or burning sensation while using cocoa butter, avoid it.
- Always perform a patch test before using this ingredient
2. Castor Oil
Castor oil is commonly used in treatments for a number of skin issues such as age spots, wrinkles, fine lines, dark spots, pimples, and stretch marks as well. The oil is also considered as the ultimate king in regards to health and beauty benefits, offers an aid to pregnant women while facilitating other skin and health conditions such as skin dullness, constipation, and inflammation.
Here are some ways you can use castor oil for stretch marks:
Method 1: Castor oil and potato
- Take a medium raw potato to extract its juice
- Mix the potato juice with castor oil and refrigerate it for several hours
- Apply it over your impacted skin and wait for 30 minutes
- Rinse it off with tepid water
This mixture will not only improve the skin texture while offering deep miniaturization to that area. As a result, the overstretched dermis – the middle layer of skin – will return to its normal size and the presence of stretch marks will be reduced.
Method 2: Castor oil and coconut oil
Coconut oil is helpful in increasing the effectiveness of castor oil. Mix it with castor oil to get a powerful solution for stretched skin.
- Mix castor oil with coconut oil with a ratio of 1:1
- Apply it over the affected skin area
- Rub till that area becomes heated up, so your skin will become soft
- Rinse it off after a few hours
- Repeat this routine for a few weeks
Method 3: Castor oil and cloves
Castor oil combined with cloves will create an amazing treatment for stretch marks, especially during pregnancy.
- Take a few cloves to grind and mix it with castor oil
- Heat the combination and apply it over your stretched skin
- After 15 minutes of massaging, cover the area for an extra 30 minutes
- Repeat this routine twice per day
Method 4: Castor oil and aloe vera
Aloe vera may repair the epidermis and vitamin E content will seep to the dermis. On the other hand, ricinoleic acid in castor oil may reduce the inflammation in dermis. When combining together, vitamin E and ricinoleic acid will trigger the repair process of damaged collagen fibers of dermis. As a result, it will alleviate the stretch mark appearance.
Despite these ingredients are two independent treatments for stretch marks, combining them with double the efficiency.
- Mash the pulp of aloe vera
- After beating it to get a flowing consistency, add castor oil to it and heat up
- Apply the solution on your stretched skin when it is still hot (of course, avoid to be burnt)
A number of people swear by sugar as effective homeopathic microdermabrasion method, which is performed by a dermatologist. This is one of the few clinically proven treatments to remove stretch marks. By rubbing sugar scrub on your skin will exfoliate the stretch marks.
What you need to do is:
- Mix ½ cup of a softening agent such as coconut oil or almond oil with 1 cup of sugar
- After getting a consistent mixture, add some lemon juice
- Scrub that mixture over your affected area for 5 minutes or so
- Repeat this routine a few times per week
4. How To Get Rid Of Stretch Marks – Aloe Vera
Despite the fact that there is little clinical evidence about the effectiveness of aloe vera for stretch marks, it still makes sense to try this method. Pure aloe vera is both a skin softener and a natural healing agent. Besides, it may penetrate deep into the skin while nourishing and repairing it from the damage caused by stretch marks. With a rich content of water and high concentration of antioxidants, aloe vera will repair the damaged skin cells and boost the new skin cell generation to eliminate stretch marks. Thanks to its antiseptic properties, it will clear the stretch marks and heal cuts, rashes, and burns naturally.
You can refer to some methods below:
Method 1: Aloe vera and Vitamin A, E oils
- Mix ¼ cup of aloe vera gel with the extract of 10 vitamin E capsules and 5 vitamin A capsules
- Apply the mixture over your stretched skin and gently rub it
- Wait for a few minutes to let it dry and then rinse it off with tepid water
- Repeat this method twice or thrice per day
Method 2: Aloe vera and coffee
Due to the chemicals in coffee, it helps lighten scars while tightening your skin.
- Mix a proper amount of ground coffee with aloe vera gel to get a good paste
- Use this paste to massage on your affected skin for 3-5 minutes
- Wait for 15 to 20 minutes and then use a warm cloth to wipe it off
- After rinsing it off, apply a moisturizer of your choice
- Repeat this routine daily for 1 month or so to get noticeable results
Method 3: Aloe vera and lemon juice
Lemon juice may exfoliate your skin and remove dead skin cells naturally, thereby reducing stretch marks.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of aloe vera gel with 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Apply this combination on your skin and wait till it dries naturally
- Wash it thoroughly with water, followed by moisturizer application
- Use this method regularly to get good results
Method 4: Homemade moisturizers using Aloe vera
- Mix aloe vera gel, wheat oil, and olive oil with a ratio of 1:1:1
- Stir them well and pour it into an airtight container
- Wait till the next morning to wash it off
- Do the same routine daily
5. Egg Whites
What you need to do is:
Method 1: Egg white only
- Separate the egg whites of 2 medium eggs from the yolks
- Use a fork to whip up the egg whites lightly
- Apply a thick layer of egg whites to your stretched skin by using a clean makeup brush
- Repeat this routine thrice per day for 2 weeks or more to get good results
Method 2: Egg white and olive oil
Olive oil has phytosterols and polyphenols, which may help to improve collagen production and increase skin elasticity. Massaging your skin with this mixture will improve your blood circulation while boosting the healing process naturally.
- Mix the egg white of an egg with a small amount of olive oil
- After whisking it well, you have a creamy consistency
- Put this mixture over your affected skin and wait for 20 minutes to wash it off with tepid water
- Repeat this process once per day
In case you can’t bear the smell of egg white even after rinsing it off, apply a moisturizer such as almond oil, shea butter or cocoa butter.
Method 3: Egg white and lemon juice
Lemon with its bleaching properties may lighten your skin and eliminate scars effectively. People with sensitive skin should avoid using this method, as the acidic nature of lemon may cause irritation.
- Mix 1 egg white with a small amount of lemon juice and whisk them well for several minutes
- Apply the mixture over your skin
- Wait for 15 minutes to wash it off with tepid water
- Repeat this routine thrice per day
For added benefits, you can also add a little bit of honey to the mixture. Follow this method for at least 30 days to have good results.
6. Lemon Juice
Lemon, as mentioned earlier, has acidic nature, which is useful in lightening the skin. Lemon also has various nutrients which are good for treating skin problems by accelerating the skin cell regrowth. Besides, the antioxidants of lemon juice aids in fighting against free radicals which damage skin layers. Not only that, vitamin C or citric acid in lemon lightens your complexion and help build up collagen in your body, repairing the stretch marks .
- Take a cotton ball to dip in fresh lemon juice
- Massage gently in circular motions for several minutes, let it dry on its own
- Rinse it off in the next morning
If you have sensitive skin, then add some rose water or plain water to the mixture.
Method 2: Lemon juice and cucumber juice
- Mix fresh lemon juice with cucumber juice as the ratio of 1:1
- Apply it to your stretch marks using a cotton ball or your fingertips
- Rinse it off with tepid water
- Do this method regularly
Method 3: Lemon juice and baking soda
- Combine lemon juice with baking powder with the ratio of ½:1 to have a good paste
- Apply the paste over your stretched skin
- Let it dry naturally and use a cloth to scrub the paste
- For added benefits, add turmeric to that paste
- Follow this daily
Some people insist that lemons are not good because the citric acid might burn the skin. But, it is an extremely uncommon occurrence. Stop using the juice when you feel a burning sensation on the skin.
7. Potato Juice
With a lot of vitamins and minerals which foster the growth as well as restoration of skin cells, potato juice is one of the most recommended tips on how to get rid of stretch marks. It is a powerhouse of vitamin E, which is beneficial for skin health. As a matter of fact, potato juice can’t treat acne scars, but clean the skin. Its enzymes act as a natural antiseptic, which is useful for fading off bacteria causing acne outbreaks. It may also lighten the skin and make scars, including stretch marks, invisible. Follow two methods below:
- Cut a medium potato in half
- Rub the inside part against your skin for 30 seconds
- Let the juice dry naturally and rinse it off with water after 5-10 minutes
- Grate a potato and blend it to have a good paste
- Slather this paste on your skin and wait for 30 minutes before scraping it off
8. Olive Oil
Ancient Greeks and Romans both used olive oil for numerous beauty purposes. This natural oil is a rich source of many essential nutrients which are good for skin health, including vitamin E, squalene, triglyceride, and antioxidants. Besides, olive oil has anti-inflammatory compounds and wound healing properties which may help to boost the healing process from stretch marks  Besides, thanks to its anti-aging effects, olive oil may help your skin maintain optimal function of fibroblast cells.
Method 1: Olive oil and coffee ground
Coffee grounds may exfoliate the skin to help remove accumulated dead skin cells and dirt and grime. It may increase the circulation in capillaries under your skin and inhibit the accumulation of fat hiding under your skin.
- Put 2-3 extra virgin olive oil tablespoons to ½ cup of coffee grounds
- Mix them well and scrub it over your skin with upward circular motions
- Do it for several minutes before washing it off with warm water
- Repeat this routine twice or thrice per week
Method 2: Olive oil and turmeric
Turmeric, a spice which adds color and flavor to dishes, offers a lot of benefits if applied topically. Due to healing compounds and antioxidants, this mixture will improve the skin texture. It also brightens up your complexion .
- Mix 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil with ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Apply this mixture onto your affected skin and leave it there for as long as you could
- Do this once per day
Method 3: Olive oil and brown sugar
Brown sugar is a natural skin exfoliant. It helps remove the top dull layer of your skin, so the glowing and smooth skin below will be revealed. Also, the skin will absorb all the nutrients from the oil, thereby being lightened naturally.
- Take the extract of 2-3 vitamin E capsules and mix it with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Add them to ½ cup of brown sugar
- Apply the mixture and scrub it over your stretched skin
- Rinse it off after 5 minutes and apply a moisturizer after patting your skin dry
- Do this twice per week
9. Turmeric And Sandalwood
The mixture of turmeric and sandalwood provides you with a great way to brighten and even skin texture. Turmeric is enriched with antioxidants and holds skin-lightening and anti-inflammatory properties, too. Thus, the regular application will decrease the stark difference between the stretch mark scars and your skin. Sandalwood may help your skin to cool down while improving the elasticity of the skin.
What you need to do is:
- Mix 1 teaspoon of sandalwood with some water
- Prepare a smooth paste made from fresh turmeric root
- Mix them well together with the ratio of 1:1
- Leave till it dries to about 60% and scrub the skin till it comes off
- Repeat this routine daily for 6 months to get good results
10. Dry Brushing
By dry brushing, you can increase blood and lymph. Opt for natural bristles and brush. Brushing will make your skin invigorated but not irritated or red. Concentrate on the ankles, knees, and elbows. Also, dry brushing will promote new skin cell growth and make your skin tighter. As a result, you will get glowing and smooth skin while fading off stretch marks
Caution: You should be very gentle when dry brushing around the pregnancy stretch marks (if any) because the skin is already sensitive and irritated.
11. Consume Gelatin
In regard to benefits of gelatin for the overall health, in accordance with the Nourishing Traditions, gelatin may support skin, hair, and nail growth. It also helps in recovering joint injuries while tightening loose skin after weight loss and improving the digestive system. Gelatin is also useful in reducing stretch marks. All of such benefits are because of the dietary collagen in gelatin which may keep your skin toned and young. However, the human skin could not absorb natural collagen due to its size, so skin creams are useless. Thus, it is better to get gelatin internally. On the other hand, gelatin is a great source of amino acids, including glycine and proline, and protein which may help in building muscles and lean body and reducing cellulite formation naturally.
There, you have discovered 29 useful tips and tricks on how to get rid of stretch marks on arms and butt. However, remember that they are natural methods, so it takes time and effort to see noticeable results, but the effects are safe and long-term. Choose some of the methods introduced here to apply for yourself, and then share your results with us by dropping words below this post. We are happy to receive your comments and will reply as soon as we could. For further references about similar topics, visit our How To page.