What Is Bronchitis?
Bronchitis is an inflammation of the bronchi – a kind of disease which is very common in babies and children. It is an illness caused by viruses, particles, or bacteria. As a result, the bronchial tubes leading to the lungs are inflamed and swollen.
If the infection of the upper respiratory tract is not cured timely, it may develop to bronchitis – which is also called the infection of the lower respiratory tract.
What Are The Causes Of Bronchitis?
As mentioned above, bronchitis happens when the bronchial tubes are inflamed due to viruses, bacteria, or particles.
The cause of acute bronchitis and chronic bronchitis is different.
- Acute bronchitis:
Viruses, especially ones causing flu and colds, are the leading cause of acute bronchitis. Also, being exposed to smoking, dust, air pollution, etc. may harm the lungs, leading to acute bronchitis.
TrueRemedies Partner Solutions
Need a Help from the Leading Expert Online, Available 24/7?
They’re all here and ready to answer your questions online or by phone. Keep asking questions until you get the answer you need.
- Chronic bronchitis:
You will get chronic bronchitis when your lung has been irritated and damaged repeatedly. Smoking is the main reason for this condition. Other causes may be being exposed to air pollution, dust, etc. for a long time or the repetition of acute bronchitis.
What Are The Symptoms Of Bronchitis?
Here are some common symptoms that you can suffer from when you get either acute or chronic bronchitis.
- Cough: Cough associated with mucus is the first and easy-to-identify symptom. The phlegm may be white, clear, green, or yellowish-gray.
- Exhaustion: People having bronchitis will feel extremely tired.
- Shortness of breath.
- Slight fever.
- Chest pain.
- Body pain.
- Nose blockage.
The above-mentioned information has provided you with the necessary knowledge about bronchitis. Now it’s time to find out what the best home remedies for bronchitis are. Let’s have a look!
Top 37 Effective Home Remedies For Bronchitis In Babies And Adults
Having anti-inflammatory and immune strengthening properties, ginger is considered the best treatment for bronchitis. It may help to reduce irritation, inflammation, and swelling of the bronchial tubes; thereby, it helps you recover from this issue quickly.
- Put ½ teaspoon of ground ginger in a glass.
- Add ½ teaspoon of cinnamon and ½ teaspoon of cloves to it.
- Add some hot water and mix them well.
- Consume the mixture for several days.
- Put 1 teaspoon of ginger powder in a glass and add some black pepper.
- Then, add some boiling water.
- Allow the mixture to steep for 5 minutes.
- Add some raw honey and consume the drink twice every day.
- Put 1 teaspoon of ginger powder in a cup and add 1 teaspoon of pepper.
- Add the same amount of cloves and mix them well.
- Add honey.
- Consume the mixture thrice every day.
Avoid consuming ginger if you are having a baby, diabetes, or heart problems and blood disorders.
Garlic is also recommended for combating bronchitis because it has antiviral and antibiotic properties. A study conducted in 2016 showed its potent ability to inhibit the growth and development of viruses causing bronchitis.
- Chop about 3 cloves of garlic which are washed carefully.
- Place them in a pot and add some milk.
- Boil the mixture.
- Consume it every day before bedtime.
- Be careful if you get bleeding disorders.
- Don’t take too much garlic because it may harm your stomach.
Turmeric is well-known for treating stomach aches and digestive problems. Additionally, it is also useful for alleviating the cough caused by bronchitis. It will help you to reduce phlegm for quick recovery. Thanks to the anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, turmeric helps to effectively treat the inflammation and viral infection in the bronchial tubes and lungs.
- Put 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder in a cup and add some milk.
- Boil the mixture.
- Consume the mixture every morning on an empty stomach.
- Include fresh turmeric in your salads.
- Put ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder in a bowl.
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey to form a paste.
- Consume the paste thrice every day.
Note: People having gallbladder stones, stomach ulcers, hyperacidity, and obstructive jaundice are not recommended to apply this remedy.
4. Eucalyptus Oil
Steaming with eucalyptus oil is also one of the most wonderful home remedies for bronchitis as it helps relieve symptoms such as nose blockage, mucus, etc. Eucalyptus oil is packed with cineole, a natural substance with bronchodilating and anti-inflammatory properties, that helps to alleviate acute bronchitis and its annoyance fast.
- Prepare a bowl of boiling water.
- Pour some drops of eucalyptus oil into it.
- Put your head on the steam flow and cover it with a clean cloth.
- Inhale the steam from the bowl.
- Directly apply eucalyptus oil to your chest to expectorate the mucus.
5. Salt Water
Salt water is beneficial to clean our throat and eliminate bacteria causing bronchitis. It also helps to reduce inflammation and mucus in the throat. Therefore, if you gargle your mouth with salt water every day, annoying symptoms of bronchitis will be treated quickly.
- Put 1 teaspoon of salt in a bowl and add some warm water.
- Stir well and use the mixture to gargle every day.
You should not miss honey if you are finding a natural treatment for bronchitis. Thanks to the antibacterial and antiviral abilities, honey significantly contributes to relieving the cough associated with bronchitis. It may also alleviate the inflammation in the throat.
- Prepare a cup of tea.
- Add 1 teaspoon of raw honey to it.
- Consume this tea every day.
- Add some lemon juice and raw honey to a glass of warm water and enjoy this drink every day
- Pour 1 teaspoon of honey into a cup.
- Add to it 1 pinch of black pepper, ginger, and ½ teaspoon of clove powder.
- Consume the mixture.
- Pour some drops of lemon into a cup.
- Add some warm water and 1 teaspoon of honey to the cup.
- Stir the mixture well and enjoy it every day.
- Wash an onion carefully and cut it into small slices.
- Put onion slices in a bowl and spread honey over them.
- Let it stay overnight.
- Remove onion slices from honey.
- Consume honey 4 times per day, 1 teaspoon each time.
One of the kitchen ingredients commonly used for treating bronchitis is onion. Working as an expectorant, onion helps to thin the mucus and phlegm in the throat; thereby, reducing symptoms of bronchitis. Also, onions may prevent further mucus accumulation and help people deal with colds and influenza effectively.
- Chop some onions to get 1 teaspoon of its juice.
- Consume the juice every morning on an empty stomach.
- Include more onions to your daily meal.
8. Sesame Seeds
Sesame seeds are great to treat bronchitis symptoms. Thanks to the anti-inflammatory properties, they help to eliminate bacteria and viruses causing inflammation. Sesame seeds also contribute to reducing chest pain – a severe symptom of bronchitis.
- Take 1 teaspoon of sesame seeds and put them in a bowl.
- Add the same amount of flaxseed or linseed.
- Then, add 1 pinch of some common salt.
- Lastly, add 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Consume the mixture every day before bedtime.
- Put ½ teaspoon of dried sesame seed powder in a glass.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water and mix them well.
- Consume the mixture twice every day.
Keep your body hydrated is very important to treat bronchitis. Drinking enough water may help to soften mucus and reduce cough resulted by bronchitis. Remember to drink about 8 to 10 glasses of water daily. Or, you can add some lemon juice and honey to your water and enjoy for better effects.
10. Oregano Oil
You can try oregano oil as a natural remedy to reduce symptoms of bronchitis. Thanks to the antiviral and antibacterial properties , this oil helps to remove viruses and bacteria causing respiratory problems and soothe bacterial infections in the throat and lung. It also helps you to fight against cough and facilitate your breathing.
- Place some drops of oregano oil under the tongue.
- Apply this remedy once every day.
11. Orange Juice
It is believed that fruit juices, especially orange juice, are one of the best home remedies for bronchitis. Enriched with vitamin C and other nutrients, orange juice may not only strengthen the immune system but also ease the inflammation caused by bronchitis in the throat.
- Crush ½ teaspoon of fresh almonds and put it in a glass.
- Add some orange juice.
- Consume the mixture every night.
Being a citrus fruit, lemon is also an excellent remedy for you to treat bronchitis because it helps to remove bacteria and mucus in your respiratory system thanks to the antimicrobial properties. Lemon juice may soothe the sore throat and provide quick relief from acute bronchitis.
- Grate a lemon and put the lemon rind in a teapot.
- Add 1 cup of boiling water to the pot.
- Let it steep for 5 minutes and then enjoy.
- Put a lemon wedge in a pot and add some water.
- Bring the pot to boil
- Then, strain the mixture and enjoy the tea.
- Pour 1 teaspoon of lemon juice into a glass.
- Add some warm water and stir well.
- Use the water to gargle every day.
13. Hot Toddy
Hot toddy is the next home remedy that you can try to cure your bronchitis. It helps to treat symptoms such as chilliness, sore throat, cough, sneezing, tiredness, and so on.
- Prepare a pot of water and bring it to boil.
- When the water boils, put a tea bag in the pot.
- Allow it to steep for 10 minutes.
- Add 1 pinch of cinnamon powder, honey, and a little alcohol.
- Stir them well and consume the tea.
14. Essential Oils
Using essential oils is one of the effective home remedies for bronchitis. You can choose lavender oil or peppermint oil to get positive effects for relieving bronchitis symptoms. Lavender oil may soothe your mind and body to help reduce tiredness. It may also help you remove viruses and particles thanks to the antifungal and antibacterial properties.
- Mix some coconut oil with peppermint oil.
- Add about 15 drops of eucalyptus essential oil to the above mixture.
- Apply the mixture to your chest.
- Mix 4 drops of each lavender oil, cinnamon bark oil, and thyme oil together.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of carrier oil, such as jojoba oil or olive oil.
- Mix them well and warm them up slightly.
- Massage your chest and back using this mixture for several minutes.
- Leave it on your skin.
- Repeat this routine daily before going to bed.
The cinnamon bark oil has cinnamaldehyde, which has impressive antifungal property against respiratory tract infections. Thyme oil also has antifungal and antibacterial effects. The combination of these essential oils forms an effective solution for those who are looking for a natural treatment for bronchitis.
Thanks to the antibacterial and antifungal properties, thyme may help you to efficaciously alleviate bronchitis symptoms, especially the infection.
- Put fresh thyme and peppermint leaves in a glass.
- Add to it some boiling water.
- Let the mixture steep for 10 minutes before straining
- Add some honey and enjoy.
Using a humidifier is powerful to reduce bronchitis discomforts. It helps you to breathe easier and soothe the sore throat and cough. You just need to add some drops of essential oils such as tea tree oil, peppermint essential oil, and lavender oil to the humidifier and turn it on. The air from this machine will make you feel more comfortable.
Mullein acts as an expectorant and painkiller, so it may help to fight against bronchitis symptoms. This herb has anthelmintic and relaxing effects, which will make you feel less fatigued due to bronchitis and other respiratory diseases such as asthma and cough.
- Wash some mullein leaves carefully and put them in a teapot.
- Pour some hot water into the pot and let it steep for 15 minutes.
- Add some honey and drink the liquid every day.
- Wash leaves of mullein carefully and put them in a pot.
- Boil the pot for 10 minutes.
- Pour the liquid into a bowl.
- Put your head on the steam flow and cover it with a clean towel.
- Inhale the steam from the bowl.
18. Licorice Root
You can make a tea from licorice roots to reduce annoying symptoms of bronchitis thanks to its anti-inflammatory effects. Primarily, it may help you to loosen mucus so that you can expectorate easily. Additionally, it is also good at easing sore throat.
- Put some licorice roots in a teapot and add some boiling water.
- Let it steep for 10 minutes before straining the tea.
- Consume about 2 cups of licorice tea every day until you see the improvement.
Consuming the plantain leaves or merely steaming with plantain leaves is a potent home remedy for you to treat bronchitis. It helps to reduce the body pain without causing any side effects to your liver, kidney, and gastrointestinal tract.
- Wash some plantain leaves thoroughly and put them in a teapot.
- Pour some hot water into the pot.
- Leave it steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain the mixture and consume it every day.
- Wash some plantain leaves and put them in a bowl.
- Pour some boiling into the bowl.
- Put your head on the steam flow and cover it with a clean cloth.
- Inhale the steam coming from the bowl.
Cabbage is rich in micronutrients, phytochemicals, and antioxidants, which may significantly contribute to saving you from acute bronchitis. It will reduce the severity of your coughing, wheezing, and the chest pain.
- Wash a cabbage leaf carefully and put it in a glass of hot water.
- Let it stay until it becomes soft.
- Pour honey into one side of the leaf and put it on your chest.
- Put a clean cloth above and leave it overnight.
- Remove the cabbage leaf in the next morning and cleanse your chest.
- Repeat the remedy every day.
- Wash some cabbage leaves thoroughly and put them in a blender
- Blend to get the juice.
- Drink the juice twice every day for 3 consecutive days.
We hope that these 37 home remedies for bronchitis in babies and adults will help you to alleviate the annoying symptoms of bronchitis without using any medicines. If you want to share any ideas about our article, don’t hesitate to give your comments and questions below. We will try to respond as soon as possible.