Lactose intolerance is the status when people are in difficulty digesting lactose. Many people in Native America, Asia and Africa can’t absorb sugar in milk and dairy products. This disease affects digestive system of patients, makes them feel fatigue. Maybe after reading 2 sentences above, you will feel it’s not related to home remedies for lactose intolerance pain and attack. But you should know some basic information about lactose intolerance before finding 36 effective home remedies for lactose intolerance pain and attack. It helps you deal with it the right way. Check out on TrueRemedies.com!
What Are The Symptoms Of Lactose Intolerance?
If you can see these symptoms below between 30 minutes and 2 hours after eating or drinking dairy products, it means that you have lactose intolerance:
- Diarrhea persistently
- Stomach swollen and pain
- Vomit something up
- Gurgling or rumbling in belly
- Can’t go to stool
- Cramp in the lower belly
What Are Common Causes Of Lactose Intolerance?
Lactose is a disaccharide constituted by glucose and galactose. Almost people have lactose intolerance lactase enzyme, it helps separate glucose and galactose inside stomach in order to absorb these sugar for energy. Some people are lack of lactase enzyme. Thus, they have lactose intolerance.
- Heredity (Congenital or development lactose intolerance):
Lactose intolerance sometimes is heredity. People born by lactose intolerance patients have higher ability to be infected lactose intolerance than the other normal people. In this case, a newly born baby will get diarrhea after consuming mother’s milk or types of milk containing lactose. In this circumstance, the only way to treat this disease is letting children use lactose-free milk. If not, your children’s health will be affected badly.
- Primary lactose intolerance:
This type of lactose intolerance is the most popular type. When you were newly born, you have enough lactase in order to digest nutrition in mother’s milk. When you grow up, you can eat more and more kinds of food. It means that you aren’t depending too much on milk or dairy products anymore. Thus, the amount of lactase enzyme in your body will decrease. It triggers lactose intolerance .
- Secondary lactose intolerance:
This is the type of lactose intolerance caused by illness or injury. The amount of lactase can decrease if you have experienced either an intestine surgery or an intestine injury. Besides, some diseases can lead to lactose intolerance such as gluten intolerance or inflammatory bowel disease. This type of lactose intolerance will terminate when you recover from these diseases or injury above.
- Developmental lactose intolerance:
This type of lactose intolerance happens if a child is a premature baby. In this circumstance, lactase enzyme appears in child’s body later than the other normal children.
Top 36 Effective Home Remedies For Lactose Intolerance Pain And Attack
By this method, all you have to do is shown below:
- Grind some lactase capsules
- Mix ground lactase capsules with a little bit of water
- Keep the mixture of lactase capsules and water in fridge for 2 hours
- After 2 hours, mix this mixture with yogurt and then eating
This method is not appropriate with pregnant woman, children and breastfeeding woman.
Similar to yogurt, kefir can boost digest lactose thanks to its good bacteria for digesting function. Function of kefir in treating lactose intolerance pain and attack will be utilized if patients drink lactase capsules before drinking kefir milk  . You should consult your doctor before using lactase enzyme. Drinking half of a cup of kefir milk per day will help lactose intolerance patients experience almost function of kefir.
Pregnant woman, breastfeeding woman and children can’t use this method because lactase capsule is contra-indicated.
Stomachache and other pain from lactose intolerance can be eased quickly by using ginger. The gingers root can relieve the pain in intestine. To make ginger become an effective home remedy for lactose intolerance pain, patients should do these steps below:
- Peel the ginger and drying them
- Grind the dried ginger
- Mix ground ginger with water
- Boil this mixture in some time and drink 3 cups of ginger tea per day to experience its efficiency
- You can add honey or lemon juice if you want to increase flavor.
The next one in this list of home remedies for lactose intolerance is chamomile. Digestive problems and pain due to lactose intolerance can be relieved quickly by using chamomile. These steps below will make chamomile become an effective home remedy for lactose intolerance pain and attack:
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of dried chamomile flowers and 8 oz of water
- Heat the water until it is boiled
- Brew chamomile tea and drink it
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has an ability to neutralize acid in stomach and support digestion. By using apple cider vinegar as a home remedy for lactose intolerance pain and attack, all you need to do to eliminate all symptoms of lactose intolerance is shown below:
Method 1: Drink the mixture of 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with a glass of fresh water twice a day. You should do this method for several weeks to get its efficiency.
Method 2: Mix 1 tablespoon to ½ -1 cup of water and ¼ teaspoon of baking soda and drink it every morning.
- If you are in diabetes, don’t use this method because cumin seed react with diabetes medicines.
- If you are in blood clotting disorder, don’t use this method. If not, blood clotting disorder will be more serious.
6. Calcium Supplementary
When you have lactose intolerance, you can’t drink milk or eat any dairy products. That’s why you will be lack of calcium. To boost the amount of calcium when having lactose intolerance, you can eat these kinds of food below: sardine, tofu, dried apricot, nuts, and cereals, green vegetables, kale and so on.
7. Cumin Seeds
Cumin seeds can eliminate all digest problems caused by lactose intolerance thanks to its thymine compound. Patients can make cumin seeds an effective home remedy for lactose intolerance pain and attack by the following steps:
- Combine 2 tablespoons of cumin seeds with 4 cups of water
- Boil the mixture for some time
- Let them cool
- Drink this combination twice per day to get its efficiency.
8. Increase The Amount Of Vitamin K In Body
Vitamin K is also necessary in boosting calcium absorb . Thus, it can be considered as an effective home remedy for lactose intolerance pain and attack. By this method, all you need to do is consuming food that is rich in vitamin K such as broccoli, kale, Brussels sprout, cabbage, scallions.
This herb can ease bloating and gas caused by lactose intolerance. Saffron will be an effective home remedy for lactose intolerance pain and attack with these steps below:
Method 1: Saffron with milk
By this method, all you need to do are mixing a few piece of saffron with milk and drinking this mixture everyday to eliminate this problem definitely.
Method 2: Saffron tea
- Mix 1 teaspoon of saffron with half of a cup of water
- Heat this mixture for 20 minutes until boil
- Divide the boiled mixture into 3 equal parts
- Drink each part 3 times a day and experience its efficiency
10. Lemon Juice
Stomachache caused by lactose intolerance can be treated by using lemon. But, lemon is just utilized to get rid of pain inside stomach due to lactose intolerance if you do these steps below:
- Squeeze to extract lemon juice
- Combine lemon juice with lukewarm water
- Add a little bit of honey if you want to increase taste
- Drink lemon juice before each meals
11. Green Tea
When it comes to home remedies for lactose intolerance, green tea gets a lot of positive feedbacks. Antioxidants and boosting digestion system properties of green tea helps green tea become one of the effective home remedies for lactose intolerance pain . All patients have to do by this method is shown below:
- Brew green tea
- Add a little bit of honey to it
- Sip warm and drink green tea a few times per day to get its benefits in treating lactose intolerance
12. Rice Tea
Rice tea has function of reducing stomachache due to lactose intolerance. These following steps can help you make rice tea to treat lactose intolerance:
- Make a combination of ½ cup of rice and hot water
- Boil this mixture for 15 minutes
- Wait until the rice is tender
- Stir the rice and then remove it
- Add a little bit of honey and drink this solution
The best dose of rice tea for lactose intolerance is twice a day.
13. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil can reduce lactose intolerance symptoms when you take 1-2 teaspoons of virgin coconut oil every day. Alternatively, you can replace milk by coconut oil in some cooking recipes.
14. Peppermint Tea
Peppermint tea can soothe intestinal irritation and digestive problems triggered by lactose intolerance. Peppermint tea just eliminates lactose intolerance pain and attack completely if these steps below are executed:
- Wash peppermint leaves carefully and let it dry
- Boil peppermint for 15 minutes in plain water
- Pour the liquid through the sieve
- Add a little bit of honey and drink it
15. Cocoa Powder
Cocoa powder can treat symptoms of lactose intolerance. By this method, what you should do is eating the combination of cocoa powder and sugar to help digest lactose easily.
16. Eat Many Meals Per Day
When your body can’t absorb lactose in short time, you had better divide the amount of lactose into many smaller portions and use many times per day.
17. Eat Dairy Products With Other Kinds Of Food
Eating dairy products alone and when your stomach is empty makes your status become more serious. Eating dairy products with other food can encourage digest lactose in dairy products because of some other nutrition in other food can boost digest lactose well.
18. Licorice Root
Licorice root can get rid of indigestion due to lactose intolerance. To treat lactose intolerance, you can consume licorice root powder, pill or licorice tea. You can find licorice pill in many drug stores.
Gentian is considered as one of effective home remedies for lactose intolerance thanks to its ability to cure diarrhea, intestinal gas and vomiting, fullness of stomach. These doses below are appropriate:
Dose 1: Decoction
- Simmer 1 oz of dried root, 1 oz lemon peel and 0.2 oz of dried orange peel in ¾ pint of boiling water for 1-2 hours
- Drink this mixture before meals to treat stomachache and fullness of stomach
Dose 2: Tincture
- Macerate 1 oz of dried root, 0.4 oz of dried orange peel and 0.2 oz of cardamom seed in 1 oz of 100 proof vodka or wine or any kinds of spirits
- After fortnight, take the liquid by squeezing out
- Drink 1/2-1 teaspoons 30 minutes before meals
20. Whole Grain
Whole grain is considered as one of the most effective home remedies for lactose intolerance pain because it can control gastrointestinal. All you need to do by this method is consume cereals or leafy vegetables to get benefits from whole grain.
21. St. Mary’s Thistle (Milk Thistle)
Thanks to the ability of detoxifying system and boosting liver function, St. Mary’s Thistle is also known as among natural home remedies for lactose intolerance. The appropriate dose of St. Mary’s Thistle for lactose intolerance is 420 mg per day in divided doses.
22. Pau D’Arco
This herb from Brazil can reduce the symptoms of lactose intolerance by encouraging the digestion system. According to most of the clinical researches, the appropriate dose of Pau d’arco for lactose intolerance stomachache is approximately 500 mg per day, divided into many doses each day. Besides, you can make an herbal tea from Pau d’arco is drinking the mixture one teaspoon of Pau d’arco loose and bark powder with hot water 2-4 times per day.
- Overdose of Pau d’arco will result from nausea and vomiting, diarrhea and dizziness.
- Don’t use this method if you are in pregnancy, otherwise your children in womb will be defected or even died.
23. Soy Milk
Soy milk can be a substitute of cow milk for lactose intolerance patients thanks to its calcium richness. A serving of soy milk contains about 500 mg of calcium. There are 2 ways to get soy milk for lactose intolerance pain and attack. The first way is buying them in supermarkets around your country. The second way is doing it at home. These steps below will help you have DIY soy milk:
- Soak ½ cups of white soy beans in 2-3 cups of water overnight
- Remove water and rinse off soybeans
- Try your best to separate skins from soy beans
- Give soaked soybeans and 4 cups of water to a blender
- Blend until they are smooth
- Use either a nut milk bag or butter muslin to strain the ground mixture
24. Almond Milk
Almond milk is also a perfect alternative for cow’s milk. This kind of milk can replace cow’s milk not only in just drinking but also in many cooking recipes. Almond milk contains many minerals and vitamin. Among these nutrition, vitamin D can boost calcium absorb. Almond milk can be either found in many supermarkets on the whole country or made by you at home. If you choose do almond milk at home, these steps below should be executed:
- Soak almonds from 1-2 days in the mixture of fresh water and ½ teaspoon of salt
- Rinse soaked almond well
- Add almond and pure water to a blender
- Blend until the mixture is smooth and creamy
- Strain the mixture through a kitchen towel
- Reserve in refrigerator up to 1 week
Turmeric can be considered as a wonderful home remedy for lactose intolerance pain and attack. The reason is it can encourage the digestive system. All lactose intolerance symptoms will be eliminated by turmeric when patients drink the mixture of turmeric with milk and honey.
26. Rice Milk
It is also another home remedy for lactose intolerance. Rice milk is rich in calcium, vitamin D and less cholesterol, which is good for heart healthy. You can either buy rice milk in supermarkets or made it at home with the following steps:
- Blend a cup of cooked rice and 4 cups of water until smooth
- Strain the mixture through a nut milk bag
- Reserve in fridge up to 3-4 days
27. Chocolate Milk
The amount of calcium in chocolate milk is similar to the amount of regular milk. You can either buy chocolate milk in supermarkets or made it at home by these following steps:
- Add 2 tablespoons of white sugar and 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder to a sauce pan
- Add milk to the saucepan. Make sure that the amount of milk you pour can combine with sugar and cocoa powder to make a thick and lumpy paste
- Heat the mixture on low fire, stir well
- When all lumps disappear, pour the mixture to a glass
- Add the remaining part of milk and stir well
28. Coconut Milk
Coconut has the same texture to milk from mammal. Besides, coconut milk contains less sugar than dairy milk, which is good for health. Thanks to these above features, coconut milk is worth being considered as one of natural home remedies for lactose intolerance. Patients can buy coconut milk on supermarkets. If you don’t want to buy coconut milk in supermarkets, do these steps below:
Method 1: Coconut milk from shredded coconut
These steps below is for 1 cup of coconut milk
- Boil a cup of water fully on high heat
- Add ½ cups shredded coconut to either a blender or a high power food processor
- Add boiled water to the blender
- Blend shredded coconut with boiled water
- Strain the coconut through any strainer you have
Method 2: Coconut milk from dried coconut
- Put desiccated coconut to a saucepan, then add the same amount of water to the saucepan
- Simmer the mixture on low fire in 2-4 minutes. Make sure that you don’t let them boiled
- Strain the liquid through a butter muslin
- Bundle up the butter muslin and squeeze to extract much coconut milk as much as possible
Method 3: Coconut milk from freshly grated coconut
- Grate coconut
- Put grated coconut to a blender
- Add 1 ¼ cups of water to the blender
- Blend water and grated coconut well
- Strain the liquid through a bag milk cloth
- Drink immediately or keep it in refrigerator
29. Fennel Seed
Fennel seed can be applied to treat all nuisances coming from lactose intolerance pain and attack. There are 2 methods you can use to cure lactose intolerance:
Method 1: Chewing of fennel seeds after meals
Method 2: Fennel seed tea
- Mix a teaspoon of fennel seed with a cup of hot water
- Let it steep for 10 minutes
- Drink this tea 3 times a day
30. Check Products’ Labels
Lactose intolerance patients should read the labels of products carefully. When reading the products’ labels, you should notice about expire date, nutritional content and calories, ingredients that cause food intolerance or allergy. About nutritional contents, you should read carefully about lactose and lactose monohydrate. Sometimes, all ingredients are not printed on labels of products. Thus, you should know the proportion of lactose in some dairy products. According to some research, mammal milk contains the biggest amount of lactose (from 6.3-7.0). Yoghurt, quark cheese and buttermilk ranks second with the amount of lactose is in the between of 1-7.1. Besides, mozzarella cheese and milk containing coffee, chocolate and cream also contain much lactose. In contrast, vegetable oil, hard cheese, marine and hard cheeses are lactose-free products. So, if you are in lactose intolerance, you should priority consume margarine, parmesan cheese, hard cheese, lard, vegetable oil.
According to researches of many scientists, lactose intolerance patients can absorb 12 grams of lactose per day. Thus, you should make sure that you use lactase enzyme according to instruction inside the medicine’s box or according to instructions of doctor.
In short, the home remedies for lactose intolerance mentioned above are claim to be able to sooth all nuisances triggered by lactose intolerance pain and attack. You can choose some of them to treat lactose intolerance pain and attack completely. If you want to give any feedback to “Top 36 effective home remedies for lactose intolerance pain and attack” introduced in Home Remedy Category, please feel free to write it in the box below this post. We will try my best to reply all of them as soon as possible.