Tinnitus can be a normal phenomenon, but may also be an abnormal warning sign. Most of the tinnitus doesn’t cause harm to the person, however, it causes feelings of discomfort, anxiety, thoughts, insomnia, sleep disturbances, and depression, and can interfere with concentration. It is estimated that up to a few million Americans have tinnitus to the extent that it affects their lives. Are you suffering from tinnitus? Is it causing you much trouble? Don’t worry, this article will list out the most effective home remedies for tinnitus relief. These natural treatments are very safe, effective and also very simple to follow at home.
What Is Tinnitus?
In terms of anatomical structure, the inner ear has thousands of auditory cells operating in the bioelectric mechanism. On the surface of the hearing cells are very small hairs. If in normal condition, the hairs will move under the pressure of the sound waves from the outside. This movement causes the auditory cells to emit a stream of electrical energy to the auditory nerve fibers and these signals are transmitted to the brain. The brain analyzes these signals and realizes that these are sounds. That means we can hear normally. Conversely, if the fragile hairs on the surface of this neuronal cell are damaged, they will move in any direction. Therefore, the auditory cells send abnormal signals to the brain, which causes the brain to receive a non-abnormal sound called tinnitus.
- Tinnitus is not a disease but a symptom caused by a variety of diseases, such as hearing loss in the elderly, ear injury, circulatory system or side effects of some drugs. Tinnitus can be a normal phenomenon, can also be a warning sign of abnormal illness. Tinnitus happens when a noise such as wind blows, whistling or whining originates from the inside of the ear and affects one or both ears. This problem can be continuous or buzzing at times. People with tinnitus feel most at night or in quiet moments. Tinnitus may be accompanied by hearing loss, dizziness or headache. Most people with tinnitus often have difficulty hearing.
There are two types of tinnitus:
- Objective Tinnitus or Tinnitus Aurium
This type of tinnitus is rare, usually caused by vascular or neurological disorders, tumors in the head, neck, or brain, or defects of some ear structures. Tinnitus can feel like a pulse or can be in sync with the heartbeat. If tinnitus occurs accompanied by a condition in which the pulse of the vein coincides with the heartbeat, you need to be diagnosed by a specialist as soon as possible because this can be a symptom of a serious disease.
- Subjective Tinnitus
These are the buzzes that only the patient feels. This type accounts for the vast majority (95 percent) of tinnitus cases. Of these, more than 60 percent of cases cannot find the cause even if the tests are complicated. The most common causes are old age (part of tinnitus may be associated with hearing loss in older people due to hearing-related neurodegeneration), the effects of excessive noise (such as workers in factories with many noisy machines, rock musicians or soldiers who often suffer gunshots or airport workers).
TrueRemedies Partner Solutions
Need a Help from the Leading Expert Online, Available 24/7?
They’re all here and ready to answer your questions online or by phone. Keep asking questions until you get the answer you need.
Common Causes Of Tinnitus?
In many cases of tinnitus problem, natural nerve processes gradually lead to forgetting about tinnitus. However, in many other cases, tinnitus becomes uncomfortable, even so severe that the patient cannot stand this problem. Everyone can have tinnitus, regardless of gender, social background or age. The main causes of tinnitus include:
- The most common cause is trauma due to sound, commonly seen by loud music or continuous exposure to turbulent sounds (such as frequent use of portable music players).
- People over the age of 60 are at high risk of tinnitus due to aging that negatively affects the hearing organ.
- Some drugs are toxic to the ear, damaging hearing cells such as aspirin, streptomycin, gentamycin, quinine or bupropion.
- Some injuries to the head, face, neck, broken bones or ruptured eardrums may also be a cause of tinnitus.
- Colds cause rhinitis and throat.
- Traumatic brain injury, tremors in the ear as a strong slap.
- Take flight at altitude.
- Severe and sudden loss of the blood.
- Some serious diseases such as diabetes, atherosclerosis, hypertension or cancers such as nasopharyngeal cancer, cancers of the jaw or brain tumors.
- Long-term use of streptomycin, gentamycin or quinine
- Using a variety of stimulants such as alcohol, coffee, and cigarettes can cause tinnitus.
- In addition to stemming from hearing system damage, tinnitus is also caused by general dysfunction (such as grinding of the teeth) and chronic muscle tension in the neck.
- Although there have been arguments that stress is the most common cause of tinnitus, up to now there has been no scientific basis for the relationship between stress and tinnitus. But tinnitus can cause stress. When a person’s tinnitus is in a state of stretching, they will feel more buzzing.
- Other causes include disease of the blood vessels or heart, ear infections, brain tumors, Ménière's disease, emotional stress, exposure to certain medications, and earwax.
Symptoms Of Tinnitus?
People with tinnitus often hear in their ears that they have no external sounds but because they have tinnitus, they think they have. The most common tinnitus symptoms are the sound in the ear, such as the sound of a rattle, the sound of a whistle, a roar, a whistle or a hissing sound. Audible voices can be large or small, high or low and can be heard on one or both ears. In some cases, the tinnitus is so loud that the patient cannot hear the real sound outside. If too much earwax can make the patient feel more tinnitus, they will not hear the real noise outside and make the loud noise inside.
Who Is At Risk Of Tinnitus?
When To See A Doctor?
Most of the tinnitus does not cause harm to the person, however, it causes feelings of discomfort, anxiety, thoughts, insomnia, and depression. The remaining cases if accompanied by other symptoms such as dizziness, ear disease, hearing loss, headache, otolaryngology should not be disregarded but should seek medical attention early to detect and treat in time. Especially people with tinnitus with sudden hearing loss should go immediately. Examination and treatment as soon as effective, if late can lead to irreversible deafness. In addition, if you have long-term tinnitus, you need to consult a health professional to handle it in time.
Top 14 Natural Home Remedies For Tinnitus
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Among home remedies for tinnitus, using apple cider vinegar is one of the most effective. Apple cider vinegar has good anti-inflammatory and antifungal effects. Thanks to its antiviral and antibacterial properties, it may treat infections causing cause tinnitus . Especially, with its strong antimicrobial properties, apple cider vinegar helps to kill bacterial pathogens. It is also used to treat colds and prolonged coughs – the causes of tinnitus. It also works to balance the level of alkaline in the body in a very effective way.
To apply this remedy, follow the steps below:
- Mix 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar with 1 teaspoon of honey and 1 cup of warm water and stir. You can add a little grated ginger to achieve better results
- Drink this mixture when it is still warm
- Follow this remedy 3 times a day until the tinnitus disappears.
2. Ginkgo Biloba
Ginkgo biloba has the ability to improve and enhance blood circulation very well. That is why the strength of the ear is improved a lot and tinnitus is gradually disappearing. It additionally has a good antifungal and antimicrobial resistance, which helps to treat infections that can cause tinnitus. Its antibacterial and antifungal effects may help fight any underlying infections causing tinnitus. It may also lower the ringing sensation while improving your ear functions by enhancing the circulation of blood throughout the body.
For this treatment, consume about 120 mg of Ginkgo Biloba supplement two times every day for six weeks.
Note: Avoid applying this remedy to young children. If you are sick and need medication, consult your doctor about the combination of these medications with Ginkgo biloba for safety.
Basil is named Ocimumbasilicum L that contains citrus scented lemon basil, linalool, cineol, methylchavicol, and estragol. According to Oriental Medicine, basil is spicy, hot, and fragrant, and has the effect of tinnitus and the flu – one of the causes of tinnitus. It also has antibacterial properties, which can remove bacteria and infections causing tinnitus. It further works as an adaptogen and may alleviate stress and anxiety caused by tinnitus .
You can add basil to the meal, or apply the following way:
- Blend the basil to get the basil juice
- Warm the basil juice (just slightly warm)
- Squeeze 2-3 drops of the juice into the buzzing ear
- Apply this remedy 1-2 times a day for 3-4 days to achieve the best results
This remedy is one of the little – known home remedies for tinnitus. Onions have excellent healing effects on colds such as the runny nose or viral illnesses. Scientists have shown that onions contain certain phytoncides, such as allicin, that have strong antibacterial properties, which kill off infectious bacteria, including E. coli and Salmonella. With its strong anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, onions help to remove bacteria or infections that can cause tinnitus.
Follow the steps below:
- Cut 1 onion into several slices
- Put the slices of onion in the microwave for 2-3 minutes
- Let them cool and grind them to get the juice
- Pour 2-3 small drops of this onion juice on the buzzing ear
- Keep the juice in the ear for 4-5 minutes and you can tilt your head so that the onion juice flows out.
- Apply this remedy 3-4 times a week until the tinnitus is gone.
Garlic helps kill bacteria and viruses in the ear causing ear infections – one of the causes of tinnitus. In addition to these benefits, garlic is a very rich source of allicin, a natural antibiotic compound that kills bacteria and the virus that causes ear infections. It also contains many natural flavors that the body can easily absorb through the skin and tissues around the eardrum. Due to the anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, garlic helps to remove bacteria and infections responsible for tinnitus .
Use garlic as a spice. Adding garlic to daily dishes not only helps to enhance the flavor of the dishes but also helps to treat tinnitus.
- Peel and crush some garlic cloves
- Place the garlic on a thin and clean cloth and use the cloth to cover the garlic
- Put it on the ear for about 30 minutes and your tinnitus will be improved quickly
- Apply this method regularly. Note that it takes about 2 hours for each implementation.
- Grind a few garlic cloves
- Mix the garlic with one teaspoon of sesame oil and fry
- After straining, let it cool down
- Take 2-3 small drops into the buzzing ear
- Follow this method daily, so do it before hitting the bed to get the best effect
- Grind 3-4 cloves of garlic fresh
- Fry the garlic and 1 teaspoon of mustard oil for about 1-2 minutes
- Leave it slightly cold
- Put it around and inside the buzzing ear
- Apply this method often until you achieve the desired result
Using ginger is considered one of the excellent home remedies for tinnitus. Many of the effects of ginger have been pointed out by physicians such as treating kidney stones, strengthening the immune system of the body, and killing bacteria and virus cells. It also improves the absorption of vitamins and nutrients needed to reduce tinnitus. Moreover, it possesses anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, which may relieve the inflammation and pain caused by tinnitus.
You should add ginger to the dishes to enhance the flavor of the dish and help prevent or treat tinnitus at the same time. Besides, you can also chew some fresh ginger slices. This helps to reduce the pressure in the ear, thereby reducing tinnitus. In addition, you can still use ginger as direction below:
- Put some fresh ginger in a glass of hot water
- After about 10 minutes, add a little honey to the water
- Drink this tea 2-3 times a day
- Regularly applying this remedy will help you quickly achieve the desired results
7. Mustard Oil
This sounds strange when it comes to natural home remedies for tinnitus, but it works. Mustard has many good health effects that we may not know, including the ability to treat tinnitus. Mustard oil is full of allyl isothiocyanate, oleic acid, linoleic acid, and erucic acid. Mustard oil is well known for its antibacterial and antifungal properties. That is why mustard oil can eliminate bacteria and infections that can cause tinnitus. Indians often combine mustard oil with essential oils during the massage to stimulate blood circulation. This helps improve blood circulation to prevent or treat tinnitus.
- Warm mustard oil by adding it to the microwave
- Take a few drops of mustard oil warmly into the buzzing ear
- After about 5 minutes, tilt the head to let the oil flow out
- Apply this remedy every day until you achieve the desired effect. Just doing once a day is enough.
If you have vitamin A and zinc deficiency, you may also have tinnitus. Vitamin A is essential for the functioning of the parts of the ear . Pumpkin is a very rich source of vitamin A. So using pumpkins can also improve the tinnitus you are suffering from.
Studies show a strong link between zinc deficiency and the appearance of ear buzziness. An average healthy adult needs 15mg of zinc a day. Consequently, daily zinc supplementation will help relieve tinnitus symptoms in most cases. Oysters, liver, lamb, sesame seeds, watermelon seeds, sesame seeds, and roasted beef are also the foods that are rich in zinc.
You just need to add the regular cooking of pumpkin dishes such as salad or soup in the meals. After a period of persistent application of this remedy, you will achieve satisfying results. It’s why using pumpkin is considered one of the best natural home remedies for tinnitus.
Pineapple is also rich in vitamins A and C and contains an enzyme called bromelain. This enzyme works to reduce inflammation very well. These vitamins and enzymes exhibit anti-inflammatory abilities and may thus be used to soothe the inflammation caused due to tinnitus .
All you need to do is eat pineapple, or drink pineapple juice regularly. After a short time of applying this remedy, the tinnitus will improve significantly, and may even disappear. Alternatively, take around ¼ of a pineapple and peel it. Cut it into small pieces and blend with one glass of water. Sip on this liquid throughout the day.
Note: Avoid consuming too much of pineapples a day because they can lead to allergic reactions.
Yawning is one of the most effective remedies for tinnitus, but when yawning and swallowing does not work, you can do the steps below:
- Clench your nostrils, holding your breath
- Inhale a lot of air into your mouth
- You use the throat and cheek muscles to push air into the back of the nose, just as you are trying to push the two fingers that are covering the nose. When doing this method you should not blow too strong but just blowing using cheeks using throat and cheek muscle to blow the air.
- Following this remedy can help you overcome tinnitus.
Pressing the acupressure of the ear may help deal with tinnitus caused by strong sound, like loud music by phone. Acupuncture can also help to improve hearing for people with hearing loss.
- Place your palms on your ears, slowly rub your ear in a circle for 1 minute so that your ears feel warm.
- Then use your middle finger to cover your ears and pull out your hand.
- Let’s do it fast and repeatedly to get the best result.
Besides these home remedies for tinnitus, you should also follow a healthy lifestyle. Do not forget the notes below:
- Limit the use of stimulants such as cigarettes, coffee, alcohol, and aspirin because the chemicals in them will disturb the elasticity of the blood vessels.
- Changes in blood flow through the arteries and veins can lead to increased tinnitus.
- Limit work in a noisy environment.
- If you have tinnitus accompanied by insomnia, staying in a quiet environment will make the illness worse, so pay attention.
- Spending time exercising to improve health, such as yoga and nursing.
- Wear hearing aids when going out (if needed) because it helps your brain neglect the specific tinnitus frequency.
- Get earwax regularly.
- Eat less salty food.
- Eat foods rich in amino acids, vitamins, and phytogenic compounds such as vegetables, fresh fruits, and beans to help reduce inflammation in the ear. Eating dried fruit and nuts is also a good solution because the substances found in these fruits help to naturally reduce tinnitus. Also, eat seaweed because it contains zinc, vitamins, and polyphenols, which are beneficial for cases of tinnitus.
- Every day, before going to bed, you can listen to light music to overwhelm the tinnitus.
Although these home remedies for tinnitus is quite time consuming and slow-acting, their results are surprising. Follow them regularly without fail to attain the optimum results. If these treatments were helpful for you, do let us know in the comments box below.