Wheezing is a whistling sound which could be made whilst breathing. It might be a symptom of an ailment or other conditions. It is heard clearly when people exhaling, but in those severe cases, it could be heard upon inhaling. It is resulted from the narrowed airflows as well as inflammation. If wheezing is associated with trouble in breathing, this might be a medical emergency. Do not under-value the condition of wheezing because it might imply something more serious. Hence, that is why you need to know some fundamental information about wheezing (which sounds so simple) before learning home remedies for wheezing relief in adults and babies.
What Are Causes Of Wheezing?
The most common cause of wheezing is asthma attacks. But, apart from asthma, wheezing might also be a symptom of hayfever, allergies acute bronchitis, swelling in your airways, heart failure, emphysema, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), vocal cord dysfunction, sleep apnea, lung cancer, reaction to smoking, respiratory tree infection or something stuck in your throat. Because you could not stop wheezing, your doctor has to determine its cause first.
How To Find Out What Causes Your Wheezing?
In order to determine the causes of your wheezing, your doctor may ask you some questions to determine your symptoms and the things leading to them. For instance, if you do not have a history of lung disease but you always wheeze after consuming a specific type of food or at a certain time of the year, then the doctor might suspect that you have a respiratory and food allergy.
Your doctor will use a stethoscope to listen to your lungs in order to hear the place originating that wheezing and the severity of the wheeze. For those who visit a doctor for this problem at the first time, the doctor will ask them to perform a breathing test and might also arrange an X-ray of the chest. Blood tests as well as procedures might be necessary depending on the results that doctor takes from you or examines you.
In case you have allergies which might be related to your wheezing, you need to carry out other tests to verify the type of allergies, including blood tests and skin tests.
TrueRemedies Partner Solutions
Need a Help from the Leading Expert Online, Available 24/7?
They’re all here and ready to answer your questions online or by phone. Keep asking questions until you get the answer you need.
When To See A Doctor?
If wheezing is mild and occurring for many times without explanation, or if it is accompanied with rapid breathing, difficulty breathing and briefly bluish skin color, then you should talk to your doctor.
Also, seek emergency help from your doctor if your wheezing:
- is accompanied with a fever of 101° or above; you might have a respiratory infection like acute bronchitis, sinusitis, or pneumonia.
- starts suddenly after being stung by a certain bee, eating an allergy-causing food, or taking a specific type of medication.
- happens after choking on the food or small object
- worsens, and you produce more or thicker, green, yellow or blood – tinged mucus. You might need to use antibiotics for bronchitis or pneumonia.
Symptoms Of Wheezing
Common symptoms of wheezing include labored breathing, a whistling or musical sound, especially when exhaling. Sometimes, wheezing is associated with a feeling of chest tightening. A fact is that you could hear your wheezing more clearly if you plug the ears and exhale quickly. Other less common wheezing symptoms are:
- Difficulty in breathing
- Feeling tired whilst doing physical activities
- Uneasiness in sleeping
- Frequent cough and cold
21 Best Home Remedies For Wheezing In Adults And Babies Are Exposed
Now, you may understand what wheezing really is and what triggers it. It is time to know some of the best remedies for this issue in adults and babies. Fortunately, the following list on TrueRemedies will reveal to you top 27 tested homemade treatments for this condition.
Ginger – the first one in this list – is famous for not only being an ingredient in our kitchen, but also a natural treatment for different ailments such as asthmatic wheezing. Researchers have found that it might help lessen the airflow inflammation and inhibit airway contraction. Moreover, many studies have indicated that it possesses compound which might enhance muscle relaxant effects of some types of asthma medications. To take advantage of ginger for wheezing, you should apply one of these methods:
- Mix ginger juice, honey and pomegranate juice with the ratio of 1:1
- Then, consume 1 tablespoon of this mixture for 2-3 times per day
- Add 1 teaspoon of ground ginger in 1 ½ cup of water
- Take 1 tablespoon of this mixture before hitting the hay
- Take a 1-inch ginger and cut into small pieces before adding them into a pot containing boiling water
- Let it steep for 5 minutes, and drink it after it cools down
You can also detoxify the lungs to alleviate your wheezing symptoms by preparing a fenugreek decoction.
- Boil 1 tablespoon of fenugreek seeds in 1 cup of water
- Put 1 teaspoon each of honey and ginger juice in it.
- Drink the solution each morning and evening
- Eat raw ginger mixed with salt to alleviate wheezing frequency.
2. Mustard Oil
Massaging your chest and back with mustard oil is one of effective home remedies for wheezing in adults. This will help clear the respiratory tree and restore your normal breathing. Follow these steps:
- Take a small amount of mustard oil to mix with camphor and heat them up
- Massage your chest and upper back with this mixture till you get a relief from wheezing
- Repeat this method a few times per day till your symptoms disappear
Considered as a natural healing agent, honey with its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties can eliminate the bacteria causing wheezing and cough effectively. The alcohol along with ethereal oils in this ingredient helps decrease wheezing. Also, it aids in preventing the inflammation causing asthmatic wheezing.
Furthermore, honey is an immune system booster which may remove asthmatic wheezing in just several hours of inhalation as well as internal intake. What you need to do is:
- Take organic honey in the jar and inhale its aroma
- Or, you can also consume 1 teaspoon of honey a few times per day to reduce inflammation
- Before your bedtime, swallow the mixture between 1 teaspoon of honey and ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder. This will eliminate phlegm from the throat and help you sleep better.
The truth is, honey works best if it is mixed with garlic cloves or ginger juice because they also have anti-bacterial as well as anti-inflammatory properties.
If you are at the early stage of asthma, then using garlic according to this remedy will help you clear the congestion within your lungs.
- Boil 2-3 cloves of garlic in ¼ cup of milk
- Let it cool down to the room temperature before drinking it
5. Eucalyptus Oil
This type of oil may lend a hand in controlling wheezing. It is the answer for those looking for a useful treatment for wheezing. The pure form of eucalyptus oil has decongestant properties, so it aids in relieving symptoms of wheezing significantly. According to many prestigious studies, it is thanks to the chemical named eucalyptol which could break up mucus. Take these steps to get rid of wheezing:
- Put several drops of eucalyptus oil on the paper towel. Keep it by the head while sleeping. It will help you breathe in the aroma during the night.
- Alternatively, you could put 2-3 drops of eucalyptus oil in a boiling water pot, breathe in that steam. Take deep breaths to accelerate the relieving process.
When it comes to home remedies for wheezing, onions should not be skipped because it has anti-inflammatory properties which help in reducing constriction of the airflow. Furthermore, the sulfur content in this ingredient can decrease inflammation in your lungs as well.
- Consume raw onions to clear the air passageway so you can sleep better
- For those who cannot bear the onions’ taste, consume cooked onions.
Those people suffering wheezing caused by asthma seem to have low vitamin C level. Fortunately, eating lemons is a good natural way to supply vitamin C for your body without side effects. Also, with its antioxidants, lemons may also reduce the symptoms of wheezing as well as asthma attacks.
- Take half of a lemon and squeeze the juice into a glass of plain water
- Add sugar to increase its taste if you want
- Drink this solution regularly to decrease wheezing attacks
Other rich sources of vitamin C could be strawberries, papayas, and oranges.
Warning: Do not use bottle lemon juice. Besides, avoid taking citrus fruits during your wheezing attacks once they worsen your symptoms.
8. Carom Seeds
Also known as Bishop’s weed as well as ajwain, carom seeds could be used to reduce wheezing because it acts as a bronchodilator by dilating bronchial in your lungs. Follow these directions to know how to use carom seeds for wheezing.
- Boil 1 teaspoon of carom seeds in water, then inhale the steam. Drink it if you want.
- You could heat a small amount of carom seeds which are wrapped in a cotton cloth in the microwave for several seconds.
- When it is hot comfortably, place it on the chest
- Heat a paste made from jaggery and carom seeds and consume 1-2 teaspoons of this paste for 2-3 times per day for several days till you get a relief.
The remedy is not recommended for those with diabetes.
9. Lobelia Tea
Sipping lobelia tea is one of the best ways to reduce wheezing. You could make this tea and drink to relieve wheezing. But, drink with small sips and slowly because if you drink quickly, you might vomit. Lobelia tea can relax the nerves, so the wheezing can be controlled.
10. Home Vaporizer
Another recommended home remedy for wheezing is home vaporizer. This traditional remedy is potent for wheezing because it reduces the triggers of wheezing in your home.
- Take 1 liter of water, but choose the non-chlorinated type
- Add 10-12 drops of peppermint oil after boiling it up
- Keep the heat at the low level till the water evaporates all.
While doing this method, you should close the doors. If your room is big, then you need to use more water and peppermint essential oil as well. To get the best results, you can make a tent using a sheet to inhale the vapors.
11. Consume Fish
Eating fish with a high content of omega-3 fatty acids may help you alleviate wheezing. This substance may enhance the ability of your lungs to handle irritants. According to researchers, the probability of wheezing attacks could decrease by about 50% if you eat mackerels daily. Sardines also give the same results.
12. Licorice Tea
Licorice tea is very effective in treating asthmatic wheezing. Ginger tea also gives similar effects. Follow these steps to make licorice tea the right way:
- Take a 1-inch licorice root to crush and put it into a container of two cups of water
- Allow it to steep for 5 minutes and then boil it for 10 minutes or so
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey into the tea if you choose ginger tea
- Strain it up and drink it a few times per day to see good results
13. Hot Soups
Drinking hot soups is a good solution to relieve wheezing, particularly in winters. By that way, you will hydrate your body. Even, you can drink vegetable juices to keep wheezing under control.
14. Flax Seeds
Flax seeds, one of highly effective home remedies for wheezing, are a natural anti-inflammatory agent and rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Taking flaxseed oil is known to help decrease asthmatic wheezing and prevent its symptoms’ occurrence on a regular basis.
Widely used in India, Indonesia as well as other Southeast Asian countries, turmeric is a good treatment for wheezing. Its fame is thanks to the strong aroma and flavor and its different purposes as a folk medicine. Turmeric has been used to deal with a lot of types of respiratory illnesses, including asthmatic wheezing. Researches show that curcumin in this ingredient can alleviate wheezing in mild or moderate cases of asthma attacks.
Also, this herbal remedy does not come with any side effects, indicating it is safe. What you have to do is:
- Boil 1 glass of water and remove it from the heat
- Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and stir it up till it dissolves
- Drink the concoction once per day for 3-4 days
16. Ginkgo Biloba
Many studies have shown that ginkgo biloba has various pharmacological effects. It has been proven in treating dementia or Alzheimer’s disease, and slowing down aging process. This ingredient is one of the most regularly used in European countries, which can reduce inflammation in the airflow due to chemical compound named ginkgolide.
A study has shown the protective effects of ginkgo biloba against bronchospasm caused by strenuous physical activities, and allergic reactions to those dust mites, which are triggers of wheezing. It means that you could take advantage of ginkgo biloba as either a treatment or preventive measure for wheezing caused by dust mites.
All you have to do is:
- Boil 1 cup of water in a pot and add dried ginkgo biloba leaves into the pot
- Remove it from the heat after 5 minutes and allow it to steep for about 10 minutes
- Strain the leaves and drink that solution once per day for 1 week
If you often drink coffee, then congratulate, the caffeine in your regular coffee can be helpful in taking control of wheezing as it acts as a bronchodilator. Hot coffee can help relax as well as clear the airways, therefore assisting you in breathing easier. Remember that the stronger the coffee is, the better the results you get.
However, do not drink more than 3 cups of the black coffee per day. In case you do not a fan of coffee, then you can choose a cup of hot black tea as an alternative. But, do not overuse caffeine as your regular remedy for wheezing.
COPD is a serious problem of the respiratory tree that could lead to wheezing. That case, using ginseng is among effective ways to relieve this condition. The ginsenosides available in ginseng have inhibitory effects on the oxidative stress and anti-inflammation properties which are good for relieving wheezing. Moreover, ginseng has been shown to be able to inhibit the processes within our respiratory tract related to the development as well as progress of COPD. To use ginseng for wheezing treatment, you need to:
- Put 2 cups of water in a pot and boil it up
- Add 1 teaspoon of ginseng extract into the pot and remove it from the heat after a few minutes
- Transfer that mixture to a good cup and consume that solution once per day for about 1 week.
19. Bitter Gourd
This is a little known tip in treating wheezing. Take out bitter gourd’s juice and add a small amount of the mixture between basil and honey into it. Mix them together. This remedy is perfect for curing asthmatic wheezing attacks.
20. Parsley Leaf
Just simply preparing the tea from parsley leaf also gives you a good solution for asthmatic wheezing. It will also soothe your chest as well as throat congestion.
21. Cleanse Your Home
Keep your surroundings allergen-free by making your home dust-free. It will also lessen your symptoms of wheezing.
Extra Tips On Treating Wheezing In Adults And Babies
- You need to identify your asthma triggers. After identifying, avoid them. Stay away from irritants, allergens, and pollutants in the air as well as respiratory infections.
- Consume spices and herbs like sage, rosemary, ginger, oregano, and turmeric
- Consume at least two serving of the cold water fish such as cod, mackerel, salmon, and herring per week. Take omega-3 supplements after having consultations from doctors.
- Add more fresh fruits and veggies into your diet. The nutrients like vitamin C and E, selenium beta-carotenne, and magnesium could be good for lung function.
- Avoid packaged and processed foods with artificial food preservatives and additives. They might trigger wheezing.
- Limit your intake of dairy products and milk in case you are allergic to the milk proteins or have lactose intolerance because of lactase deficiency. People without these problems could take milk because the fats in whole milk come with a protective effect against asthma symptoms, including wheezing.
- Stay away from wood-burning fireplace or stove
- Practice deep breathing
- If you feel a sudden congestion, then you can use an inhaler immediately
- When wheezing comes on, stay calm because panic just makes your symptoms worse. Help yourself with the visualization trick here: Close the eyes, inhale, and see your lungs expand and fill up with white light. Feel your breathing gets easier. Repeat the exercise for additional two times and open your eyes afterwards.
- Have a strong cup of coffee to open your airflow, thereby lessening wheezing
- Use evening primrose oil which is high in an essential fatty acid named GLA. This substance is converted by the human body into anti-inflammatory substances. Thus, you can take about two 500-mg capsules for thrice per day. To avoid upset your stomach, take primrose oil capsules with your meals.
- Do not smoke and also stay away from those who do. Cigarettes smoke can irritate your airways.
- Eat smaller and more frequent meals and avoid eating before going to sleep. It is because the upwards migration of the stomach acids might cause heartburn and trigger asthma symptoms, including wheezing.
After reading the checklist of top 21 best home remedies for wheezing introduced in our Home Remedies category, hope that you have withdrawn for yourself some useful information to treat and prevent wheezing in adults and babies. If you have any other ways, feel free to leave your words below this post. We appreciate and will respond as soon as possible.