Are you sweating more than other people? Do you wipe the hands before handshake? If yes, then you are suffering from excessive sweating. Excessive sweating is really a hassle. Sometimes, it is a warning sign of medical conditions. Medically known as hyperhidrosis, excessive sweating impacts 2-3% of the population. Fortunately, most cases of excessive sweating are harmless. If you are wondering if you are sweating a lot, here’s information that helps you decide whether or not you should see a doctor for a medical diagnosis. Read on and then get to how to get rid of excessive sweating through our top 24 home remedies for excessive sweating on face, in palms and feet!
What Is Excessive Sweating?
Sweating, in essence, is a normal reaction when the human body works wonder and needs to reduce its temperature and cools itself down.
Excessive sweating goes beyond the usual physical need when it comes to sweating. If you suffer from hyperhidrosis, you might sweat for no apparent reason. There are two main types of hyperhidrosis, which are:
- Primary hyperhidrosis: this type causes excessive sweating in our face, hands, underarms and feet without specific reasons.
- Secondary hyperhidrosis: this type causes excessive sweating throughout your body or in a large body area. It is often caused by a medication or a medical condition.
What Are Causes Of Excessive Sweating?
As mentioned earlier, if your heavy sweating does not have any underlying medical cause, it is primary hyperhidrosis. It is caused when the nerves which are responsible for operating sweat glands get overactive and trigger perspiration when unnecessary.
For the secondary hyperhidrosis, it is attributed by an underlying problem. Some health conditions which might result in excessive sweating include:
- Hiatal hernia
- Heat exhaustion
Some medications also cause heavy sweating, such as:
- Some dry mouth medicines
- Some psychiatric drugs
- Some medications for blood pressure
- Some supplements
- Some antibiotics
What Are Symptoms Of Excessive Sweating?
There are a variety of signs and symptoms of excessive sweating. Some of the most common are:
- Moist and wet palms as well as soles
- Discoloration of the problematic areas
- Foot odor
- Visible sweating which even stains the clothes
- Skin scaling and racking
When To See A Doctor?
Visit a doctor if you have the followings:
- You start to sweat more than normal
- Sweating damages your daily life
- You have night sweats without apparent reason
You need to seek instant medication help if your excessive sweating is associated with:
- Chest pain
- The body temperature of 40 C or even higher
Who Is Affected?
Excessive sweating is rather common. It can develop in any gender and age, despite primary hyperhidrosis seems to start during childhood or soon after the puberty.
24 Best Home Remedies For Excessive Sweating On Face, In Palms And Feet
It is time for you to know how to treat excessive sweating naturally at home using easy-to-find natural ingredients. This article on TrueRemedies.com will expose to you top 24 out of the best home remedies for excessive sweating on face, in palms and feet. Take a look!
1. Baking Soda
Baking soda is very famous for its versatile uses for many health and beauty problems, including reducing excessive sweating. Being a natural antiperspirant, baking soda could effectively absorb the moisture and naturally neutralize the body odor. Moreover, because of the alkaline nature, baking soda can also lower the pH level of the areas which sweat a lot. Follow these steps to make use of baking soda as one of home remedies for excessive sweating:
- Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda in a bowl of proper amount of water to create a thick paste
- Then, add 3-4 drops of your favorite essential oil and mix them well.
- Apply the solution over your affected body areas and rinse it off after 15 minutes.
- Re-apply this method several times per week.
- Mix cornstarch, baking soda together with the ratio of 1:1. Then, put them in a bottle
- Before going outside, dust some of the mixture on your sweating body parts or use it when necessary
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Thanks to astringent property, apple cider vinegar is one of the must-try home remedies for excessive sweating. It can control the sweating process naturally by balancing the pH level of the human body, particularly under the arms as well as feet. Besides, you can also use apple cider vinegar to get bacteria rid of your body. Furthermore, apple cider vinegar is also known as an antiperspirant, which can form a coat on the human skin, ensuring the skin pores are properly closed.
Take the following steps:
- After washing your affected areas with clean water, you use a cotton ball to rub a small amount of apple cider vinegar onto it.
- Wait till the next morning to remove it off with cool water and apply talcum powder or deodorant instead.
- Mix apple cider vinegar with honey as the ratio of 1:1 (about 2 teaspoons each).
- Drink the mixture daily before eating breakfast
This is another effective treatment for hyperhidrosis. Lemon has citric acid which can eradicate the bacteria. Also, its comfortable fragrance makes it a great deodorant from the Mother Nature. What is more, lemon juice can also whiten the underarms and other body parts as well.
- Mix baking soda and lemon juice with the ratio of 1:1 (1 teaspoon each) to create a good paste
- Apply the paste over your armpits thoroughly using a cotton ball
- Wait for 20 minutes and rinse it off with water
- Pat your skin dry afterwards
- Do this method regularly.
Note: Avoid stepping outside after applying this method. So, it is recommended to apply at night.
With astringent and antiperspirant property, sage can be effective in constricting the sweat glands, thereby decreasing sweating. Additionally, it is high in vitamin B and magnesium, which can control the activity of sweat gland.
- Pour 2 cups of water in a pan and add 1 teaspoon of the dried sage leaves into.
- Boil it and allow it to cool down to the room temperature
- Use it to clean your affected body parts thoroughly.
- Repeat this method thrice per day for a few days
- Take a cup of hot water and put 1 teaspoon of sage into.
- Let it steep for 5 minutes before adding some lemon juice
- Drink the concoction twice or thrice per day
To take the most advantage of this herb, you can add it to your daily cooking routine.
5. Black Tea
This is among simple-to-prepare home remedies for excessive sweating thanks to the tannic acid content which has astringent and antiperspirant properties. Black tea can keep the sweat glands constricted so they will not produce excess sweat. Besides, black tea can also aid in killing the bacteria causing body odor. Follow this method:
- Put 1-2 tea bags in 3-4 cups of hot water and let it steep for 15 minutes
- Then, dip a cotton ball into the tea before rubbing it onto your underarms as well as neck.
- For those who want to control sweating in hands and feet, soak them for 30 minutes
- Follow this method once per day for a couple of weeks
To increase the effectiveness, you can drink 2-3 cups of this tea everyday.
6. Home Remedies For Excessive Sweating – Witch Hazel
Another great suggestion among home remedies for excessive sweating is witch hazel which also has antiperspirant and astringent properties. These properties are helpful in shrinking skin pores, thereby preventing sweating. In addition, its pleasant and light smell can mask your body odor effectively. Carry out these steps:
- Take a cotton ball to saturate with the witch hazel liquid extract
- Then, dab it over your affected areas every day
- Add a small amount of witch hazel bark powder into a proper amount of water to create a paste.
- Apply this paste over your sweating areas and wait for an hour to wash it off thoroughly by using cold water
- Do this treatment for 1-2 weeks.
This is considered one of the easy-to-find home remedies for excessive sweating. What you need to do is to take a medium size potato to cut into slices and rub them over your arms, hands and feet.
8. Tomato Juice
If you drink fresh tomato juice daily, you can reduce the symptoms of excessive sweating significantly.
9. Wheatgrass Juice
Just drinking a glass of wheatgrass juice daily can give you a relief from excessive sweating. Actually, wheatgrass juice can neutralize the acids within your body due to its rich source of vitamin B6, B12, C, folic acid, and protein. You can follow the process below:
- Add 1 tablespoon of wheatgrass juice in ½ cup of plain water
- Drink this solution before eating breakfast each morning
- Keep doing this routine daily morning.
10. Home Remedies For Excessive Sweating – Coconut Oil
Containing lauric acid, coconut oil can eliminate the bacteria, which causes your excessive sweat. With a light fragrance, coconut oil can make you feel fresh, but be aware that it may stain your clothes.
What you have to do is:
- After taking a bath, apply a small amount of cold pressed, organic coconut oil over your affected areas
- Massage it thoroughly to let the oil absorbed
- Repeat the routine every day
- In a cup of coconut oil, add 10 grams of the crushed camphor and stir them well to create a paste
- Apply the paste over your sweat-prone body parts and massage for several minutes.
- Leave it there for 45 minutes or so before rinsing it off with water
- Repeat this routine regularly
Because of astringent, anti-bacterial and deodorant properties, chamomile can be a good answer for those who are looking for effective home remedies for excessive sweating. The antibacterial property of chamomile helps eradicate the bacteria producing body odor as well as sweat.
The astringent property can constrict your sweat glands while deodorant properties can counteract the odor.
- In a cup of hot water, put 1 teaspoon of chamomile leaves
- Let it steep for several minutes and drink it after it cools down
Or, you can also soak a cotton ball in the prepared tea to apply it over your affected body areas for several minutes. Do this method daily.
- Add several drops of chamomile essential oil into a bath of the warm water
- After stirring them well, you soak in the water for several minutes
- Do this every day
12. Tea Tree Oil
Another natural way you should not skip if you really want to relieve excessive sweating at home is tea tree oil. With its astringent and anti-fungal properties, tea tree oil can kill off the bacteria that cause excessive sweating. What you need to do is:
- Take a small amount of tea tree oil and add a cotton ball into the oil
- Apply that ball over your affected areas
- For those having sensitive skin, it is better to dilute the oil by adding 4 to 5 drops of this oil to ½ cup of plain water
- Reapply this method regularly
13. Home Remedies For Excessive Sweating – White Sandalwood
The powder made from white sandalwood is commonly used in Ayurveda to help treat as well as take control of excessive sweating. It is because this plant contains some enzymes which can promote the absorption of moisture from your skin and keep your skin fresh and dry. The aromatic fragrance also masks your body odor resulted from heavy sweating.
Take the following steps:
- Mix equal amounts of white sandalwood powder and rose water together and followed by a little bit lemon juice to create a good paste
- After washing your affected skin areas thoroughly with clean water and patting it dry, apply the paste
- Let it air dry before washing it off with warm water
- Repeat the method daily
Do not overlook cornstarch, a common ingredient in our kitchen, if you want to control sweating. Whenever you begin to sweat excessively, apply cornstarch. Bring a bottle of cornstarch powder and talcum powder with yourself.
- Use a tissue paper to wipe away the sweat to prevent the cornstarch from building clumps
- Dust a small amount of cornstarch on your sweat-prone area and wait till it dries entirely
- Apply another cornstarch layer onto the area and allow it to dry
- Repeat the process if necessary
To handle excessive sweating in feet, you could simply dust a large amount of cornstarch on your shoes’ soles. Or, apply cornstarch prior to wearing socks.
15. Homemade Deodorant
Despite commercial deodorants sold out there are also helpful in controlling sweat and removing body odor, they still contain some harmful chemicals. So, why don’t make a homemade deodorant? Not only is it one of the must-try home remedies for excessive sweating, but it also helps reduce the body odor.
- Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda to a proper amount of water and stir them well to get a good paste
- Add 3-4 drops of your chosen essential oil like lemon oil, lavender oil or vanilla oil
- Apply the mixture over your body parts which are prone to sweat
- Wait for 15 minutes or so, and wash it off with water
- Repeat the process regularly
- Mix coconut oil and shea butter with the ratio of 3:2 and add them into a double boiler
- Place it over the medium heat to get it melt
- In case there is not any double boiler, place the ingredients in a jar with a lid over the pan of hot water
- After the mixture melts, remove it from the heat before adding baking soda and arrowroot powder with the ratio of 3:2
- Stir them well and add your favorite essential oil
- Let it cool down for several minutes
- Take an empty deodorant stick to fill it with the mixture and put it into the refrigerator
- Use this mixture regularly
16. Steam Baths
Having steam baths is another great option among home remedies for excessive sweating you can do without cost. By regularly bathing, you will not only detoxify your body but also alleviate your stress and anxiety, thereby stimulating excessive sweating. It is proven that an adult should have 15 to 20 minutes of steam bath per day in the morning and at night in order to deal with hyperhidrosis. But, check the steam temperature during winter to prevent drying out your skin.
17. Home Remedies For Excessive Sweating – Alum
Rubbing alum is also good for those with excessive sweating. That is why it is in this list of home remedies for excessive sweating. Alum constitutes of aluminum hydroxide that acts as a natural anstiperspirant and naturally prevents the growth of bacteria. If you apply alum in your underarm, you can reduce sweating significantly. The aluminum ions will do the job of preventing the outflow of sweat. But, you need to apply alum a few times per day to take control of underarm sweating. Prolonged use of this substance could shrink your sweat glands, reducing your sweating.
18. Green Moong Dal
Green gram can be effective in absorbing extra moisture from your skin and prevents excessive sweating, particularly on face. What you need to do is:
- Roast whole green gram, then grind it to create a good powder
- Put 1 teaspoon of green gram powder into unboiled milk
- Apply the mixture over your face and wait till semi dry.
- Wash it off with plain water
- Follow this method for 15 days
19. Talcum Powder
In regard to home remedies for excessive sweating, talcum powder seems little – known. It can absorb the excessive sweating from your face if you apply it as a base of the makeup. Just simply apply a small amount of talcum powder over your face thrice per day to keep your face dry. Or, you can also choose a good quality loose face powder to get the same effects.
20. Ice Cubes
This sounds strange when it comes to home remedies for excessive sweating, but it does work for mild case of hyperhidrosis. Take an ice cube to wrap it in the muslin. Use the ice to wipe your face twice or thrice per day. Ices will help close your pores and make the sweat blogged. Even, this method is also good for lengthening the survival of your makeup. You could also splash cold water on the face to take control of excessive sweat.
21. Cucumber Juice
Being a natural astringent, cucumber can cure excessive sweating on face if used regularly. You just need to extract the juice from a cucumber, then chill it in the fridge. After that, apply that juice using a cotton ball 2 times per day. Leave it there till it dries and rinse it off with plain water. Store the remained cucumber juice in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
22. Home Remedies For Excessive Sweating – Salt
Using salt can decelerate the sweat glands’ activities and combat excessive sweating. You just need to mix 1 tablespoon of salt with a small amount of lemon juice. Then, massage it onto your affected areas.
23. Eat Magnesium-Rich Foods
Sometimes, sweating is caused because of the deficiency of magnesium within the human body. Nonetheless, excessive sweating could also result in the deficiency of magnesium within the body. Thus, you should include magnesium-rich foods into your diet to help regulate the temperature of your body naturally. This also helps you reduce anxiety, which is another common cause of excessive sweating. Some magnesium-rich foods include:
- Green leafy veggies
- Whole grains
24. Drink Enough Water And Fluids
In essence, sweating helps in maintaining the body temperature and removing toxins within the body. Drinking lots of water also helps that. Thus, it restricts the human body to produce less sweat amount. As mentioned earlier, stress is also one of causes of heavy sweating. Drinking plenty of water and taking enough fluids will help your own body stay calm in hard situations. Thus, it is crucial to drinking lots of water as well as other fluids which could replenish your with essential minerals that you lose whilst sleeping. Some drinks you could take advantage of to stay hydrated:
- Herbal tea (hot / cold)
- Fruit and vegetable juice
- Coconut water
Home Remedies For Excessive Sweating – Extra Tips For Excessive Sweating
Apart from following the methods introduced above, you should also acknowledge some preventative tips and tricks for excessive sweating:
- Avoid anxiety and stress because they may trigger excessive sweating. Do meditation, yoga along with other exercises to take control of anxiety and stress
- Cut off or limit the intake of caffeine because it might increase the blood temperature
- Avoid using harsh deodorants / soak in your everyday routine
- Avoid spicy, sugary and chemically processed foods
- Shave your groin areas and underarms
- Wear the loose fitting clothes which let the air passage and also prevent excessive sweating. Thus, you should wear the clothes made of natural fabrics like cotton and avoid synthetic fabrics like polyesters, nylon, etc.
- Avoid drugs, smoke or alcohol
- Avoid consuming too many hot drinks
- Lose extra weight by decreasing fat levels, especially abdominal fat
- Eat more grapes because they have natural antioxidants which can balance the body temperature and decrease sweating.
- Take a bath or shower every day with a good quality anti-bacterial soap to remove bacteria
- Dry yourself prior to applying any antiperspirant and deodorant on your body
- Use underarm liners as well as shoe inserts because they can absorb the sweat
- Use dry shampoo to help you control sweating on the scalp
- Change your diet habits and lifestyle is important to treat the problem. Remember that prevention is always better that cure.
- Avoid consuming too many iodine-rich foods. Avoid veggies like broccoli, asparagus, white onion, liver, beef and turkey meats.
- Eat more natural foods like milk, cereals, and fish to relieve sweating in natural ways. Also, add foods rich in vitamin B and silicon mineral to your diet
- Wear a hat or shades upon traveling or being exposed to the sun for a long period of time.
- Schedule your work appropriately so that you can reduce stress and anxiety levels
- Consult your healthcare provider if you cannot control excessive sweating at home. If your heavy sweating happens because of rapid heartbeat, chest pain, or shortness of breath, or a sudden reduction of weight, you should immediately visit a doctor.
- Acknowledge the root cause of your sweating before trying these home remedies for excessive sweating.
Despite excessive sweating or hyperhidrosis is not a life-threatening disease, but it still impacts a sufferer’s daily life significantly, particularly in social activities. That is why treating it at the root causes is an important thing to do. This article of “Top 24 home remedies for excessive sweating on face, in palms and feet” hopefully has helped you figured out what to do to relieve this condition at home. Choose some home remedies for excessive sweating that you can do and share your experiences with us and other people after done by dropping words in the comment box below. We appreciate and will feedback as soon as possible.