What Is Hyperthyroidism?
To understand what the hyperthyroidism is, let’s discover some information about the thyroid first. Generally, the thyroid can be defined as the gland having the shape of butterflies in the front of the neck. Its function is to produce the two main hormones called tetraiodothyronine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3), which play an essential role in controlling our cells in using energy for the body.
Hyperthyroidism, also known as an overactive thyroid or “thyrotoxicosis” in medical term, is a kind of disease in which the thyroid gland – the central organ of endocrine system – overacts and creates too much T3 and T4 hormones in the blood.
What Are The Causes Of Hyperthyroidism?
There are many reasons for hyperthyroidism., such as:
- Autoimmune disorder or “Graves’s disease.” This is a kind of disease in which the autoimmune is inflamed. It may be the most common cause of hyperthyroidism.
- Over consumption of iodine 
- Benign lumps in the thyroid. The lumps lose their standard mechanism, stimulating the activities of the thyroid gland. As a result, the thyroid hormone is produced excessively.
What Are The Symptoms Of Hyperthyroidism?
If a person suffers from hyperthyroidism, he will experience several common symptoms, including:
- Hypermetabolic rate due to high levels of T3 and T4 hormones in the blood.
- Swelling at the neck’s base.
- Irregular or fast heartbeat.
- High blood pressure.
- Severe weight loss.
- Being nervous.
- Heavy sweating.
- Disturbed sleeping.
- Changes in the menstrual cycle.
- Fatigue .
- Heart palpitated.
- Muscle weakness.
- Short breath.
- Hair thinning.
- High level of blood sugar.
- Shaky hands.
- Mood swings.
The information above has provided you with useful information about the hyperthyroidism. Now it’s time to find out the best natural home remedies for hyperthyroidism to alleviate its symptoms without any drugs. Let’s have a look!
TrueRemedies Partner Solutions
Need a Help from the Leading Expert Online, Available 24/7?
They’re all here and ready to answer your questions online or by phone. Keep asking questions until you get the answer you need.
Top 15 Effective Home Remedies For Hyperthyroidism Symptoms
Bugleweed, also called “Lycopus Virginicus,” has the power to lower the body’s production of thyroid hormones. This herb contains an acid called lithospermic, which may contribute to reducing Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone (TSH) as well as T4 and inhibiting the metabolism of iodine in patients of hyperthyroidism. It limits the risk of getting hyperthyroidism accordingly. It is also pointed out that using bugleweed may alleviate some common symptoms of hyperthyroidism, such as headache, palpitations, etc.
- Take ½ teaspoon of bugleweed and put it in a glass.
- Pour a cup of boiling water to the glass.
- Leave the mixture steep for 5 minutes before straining it.
- Allow it to cool and consume the liquid once every day.
- Do this method until you recover from the hyperthyroidism completely.
- Pour 1 teaspoon of water into a glass.
- Add about 4 drops of bugleweed tincture to the glass and mix them well.
- Put the mixture under your tongue.
- Do this remedy twice every day.
- Avoid using this method for pregnant and breastfeeding women.
- Put a tea bag of bugleweed in a bowl and add to it a cup of boiling water.
- Cover the bowl and let the tea steep for 10 minutes.
- Remove the tea bag and let the tea cool down naturally.
- Add raw honey to the mixture (a teaspoon of honey is recommended) and stir them well.
- Consume the drink once every day.
- Avoid applying this method for pregnant and breastfeeding women.
- Also, avoid using this method if you are using thyroid medicines.
Known as “Leonurus cardiaca,” motherwort works as a beta-blocker in a natural way and helps manage the tachycardia. Additionally, thanks to the anti-inflammatory activity, this herb helps to reduce some symptoms of hyperthyroidism, such as exhaustion, palpitations, etc
- Put ½ teaspoon of motherwort in a glass and add to it some boiling water
- Cover the glass and let it steep for 5 minutes.
- Strain the mixture and let it cool down.
- Consume the mixture thrice every day.
- Put about 10 drops of the tincture of motherwort in a glass
- Pour some water into the glass and stir well.
- Consume the mixture thrice a day.
- Repeat this method until you recover entirely from hyperthyroidism.
- Note: If you are using some medicines for your heart problems, consult your doctor before using this remedy.
3. Lemon Balm
Lemon balm or Melissa officinalis is another wonderful treatment in the list of the home remedies for hyperthyroidism. It has an incredible power to make an overacting thyroid become normal thanks to lowering TSH level as well as stopping TSH from being bound to the tissues of the thyroid. Furthermore, lemon balm consists of phenolic acids, flavonoids and other ingredients, contributing to managing the thyroid functions. More significantly, it blocks the activity of antibodies which cause of Graves’ disease or hyperthyroidism.
- Take 2 tablespoons of lemon balm and put it in a glass.
- Add some boiling water to the glass.
- Leave the mixture for several minutes before straining it to take the tea.
- Consume the tea thrice a day.
Broccoli is a kind of vegetable which is very useful for our health thanks to the rich content of nutrients. Broccoli consists of goitrogens and isothiocyanates, which are useful to stop the thyroid from creating hormones excessively by preventing the metabolism of iodine . In other words, eating broccoli, especially in the raw form, every day has a wonderful effect in fighting against hyperthyroidism.
Gromwell, which is also called “Lithospermum” is considered as one of the best home remedies for hyperthyroidism. Purple gromwell may prevent TSH from binding thyroid follicles and inhibit the transportation of iodine to thyroid follicles; thereby, it helps reduce the symptoms of hyperthyroidism. However, this herb may be dangerous to people’s health if used carelessly. Therefore, consult your doctor before deciding to use this remedy.
- Put a teaspoon of gromwell herb in a bowl and add to it a cup of boiling water
- Let it steep for 10 minutes and cool it a little bit
- Consume the mixture when it is still warm.
- Take the drink twice every day.
Note: This herb is not recommended for pregnant women or people using medicines.
6. Passionflower And Lemon Balm
Passionflower is commonly used to combat symptoms of hyperthyroidism, such as anxiety and disturbed sleep. More specifically, it is so useful to alleviate painful areas and create favorable relaxing conditions for hyperthyroidism patients. As a result, they sleep better and their heart rate may be stablized. Therefore, drinking the tea made of passionflower and lemon balm is an excellent natural remedy for those suffering from hyperthyroidism.
- Take ¾ teaspoon of dried or fresh passionflower and put it in a tea infusing bag.
- Then, add ¼ teaspoon of lemon balm to the bag.
- Place the bag in a bowl and pour into it a cup of boiling water.
- Leave it steep for 10 minutes before removing the tea bag.
- Consume the tea every night, about an hour before bedtime.
Note: Pregnant and breastfeeding women should not apply this method.
Additionally, people using medicines for anxiety treatment should ask for their doctor’s advice before using this method.
8. Indian Gooseberry
Indian gooseberry is a must-try treatment for hyperthyroidism. This fruit may control the over-production of the thyroid hormone, gradually ameliorating hyperthyroidism. It is an excellent idea to combine Indian gooseberry with raw honey to create a natural home remedy for hyperthyroidism.
- Take a teaspoon of Indian gooseberry powder and put it in a cup.
- Add a teaspoon of raw honey to the cup and mix them thoroughly to get a thick paste.
- Consume the paste every morning on an empty stomach.
Next, you can utilize gypsywort as one of the excellent home remedies for hyperthyroidism. Gypsywort contains some active compounds, such as flavonoids and tannins, which are useful for treating the overaction of the thyroid gland. According to some studies, the extract of gypsywort has a significant effect on iodine metabolism and thyroxine hormone releasing. Gypsywort works very effectively to treat hormonal disturbances and and breast pain concerning hyperthyroidism.
- Pour about 5 drops of gypsywort tincture into a glass and add to it a cup of water.
- Mix them well and consume twice per day.
9. Valerian Root
Valerian root is considered a natural medicine to alleviate hyperthyroidism. It is thanks to the ability to accelerate the level of gamma-aminobutyric acid – a chemical that the nervous system uses to control and regulate the brain. Moreover, valerian root may help with insomnia and sleeping difficulties, bring hyperthyroidism patients better and healthier sleep.
- Take a teaspoon of valerian root and put it in a bowl.
- Add a cup of warm water to the bowl and cover it.
- Leave valerian root steep for 15 minutes before straining.
- Add a teaspoon of honey to the liquid and stir thoroughly.
- Drink the liquid every night before bedtime.
Enriched in vitamins and antioxidants, berries are also an excellent food to fight against not only hyperthyroidism but also many other health problems, namely heart diseases, prostate cancer, and liver damage. Berries include strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, etc. Each of these fruits has a different value of nutrients and vitamins. The vitamins and antioxidants in berries are excellent at decreasing the inflammation in the body as well as thyroid gland as they help boost the immune system of the body . Therefore, it is a good idea to include some of berries in your diet.
11. Vitamin C
In this tip, we are mentioning the vegetables and fruits containing a high amount of vitamin C as one of the great home remedies for hyperthyroidism thanks to their wonderful antioxidant properties. The fruits and vegetables having high amount of vitamin C are kiwifruit, oranges, broccoli, papayas, etc. Antioxidants in these fruits are useful to treat free radicals – one of the causes of overacting thyroid glands.
- Eat fresh fruits or vegetables rich in vitamin C every day.
- Take 1000mg of Vitamin C supplements every day.
Diet Tips For Hyperthyroidism Relief
In addition to applying natural remedies above, going on a healthy diet is also vital to alleviate the symptoms of hyperthyroidism.
Here is the ideal diet that you should follow if you are suffering from hyperthyroidism:
- Don’t consume too much sugars and carbohydrates in your daily meal.
- Don’t drink caffeine and carbonates as they will make the symptoms of hyperthyroidism worse.
- Don’t eat gluten-rich foods and dairy products.
- Drink enough water every day.
- Eat more fiber-rich foods.
- Consume organic foods such as meat, fresh vegetables and grains including beans, soybeans, etc. regularly.
- Eat fresh fruits containing vitamin C, namely lemons, oranges, etc. every day.
We hope that, after reading this article, you have found your own effective home remedies for hyperthyroidism to alleviate its annoying symptoms. If you have any ideas to contribute to our article, don’t hesitate to leave your comments and questions in the comment box below. We will respond as soon as possible.