When the human kidneys work the way they should, they obviously play a crucial role in keeping the body strong, clean, and well-functioning. Conversely, if the kidneys have infection or failure, it will put the human body at risk, letting waste accumulate and wreak havoc, which explains why it is a good idea to do a kidney cleanse regularly. Normally, healthy people will have two kidneys which are about the size of a fist and situated close to the waste at either side of the spine. Kidneys have a basic role in assisting the body in detoxifying by removing waste products. They also help control blood pressure, eliminate toxins or drugs, regulate hormones, and maintain strong bones. So, maintaining healthy kidneys is very important if you want your body to function well. This article will show the best natural home remedies for kidney infection at home without drugs. Let’s get started!
What Is Kidney Infection?
Polynephritis is the medical term for a kidney infection, which inflames the kidneys. It is caused due to a bacterial infection. The bacteria go from the urinary tract, bladder and finally arrives at the urethra towards the kidneys. Either one or both of the kidneys are affected , . A kidney infection requires prompt treatment to avoid permanent damage to the kidneys and to avoid a life-threatening spread of the infection into the bloodstream.
Causes Of Kidney Infection?
The root agent causing kidney infection is bacteria. Bacteria penetrate the urinary tract and go to the tube carrying urine. They finally find their destination at the kidneys and increase their population resulting in renal infections .
Or in some cases, bacteria originate from other parts of the body, then comes to the kidneys due to going along with the bloodstream. As a result, urinary infection happens.
Studies have shown that women are more vulnerable to kidney infection than men due to shorter urethra.
In addition, there are some main factors bringing you more risks to kidney infections, such as damage to the urinary tract, poor immune system, diabetes, kidney stones, sexual intercourse, and spermicide use.
Symptoms Of Kidney Infection?
Here are some common symptoms of kidney infection that you need to notice.
- Increasing pain in your back or abdomen.
- Fever associated with chills and sweating at night.
- The feeling of not wanting to eat
- Prolonged tiredness
- Redness on your skin
- Hematuria- there is blood appearing in the urine.
- Feeling of burning in the urine when you go to the toilet
- An urgent demand for urination
- Symptoms of being swollen of your legs, hands, eyes, and ankles.
- The feeling of nausea and vomiting
- Frequently feeling of metallic smell in your mouth.
- Frequent urination
Top 34 Effective Home Remedies For Kidney Infection Relief
1. Fluid Intake Increase
Increasing fluid in your daily diet is considered as one of the most effective and easiest home remedies for kidney infection. The more fluid you take in your body, the more bacteria, toxic, and waste your body can filter, helping your kidneys healthy and clean , . The fluids you can drink every day include fresh water, coconut water, lemon water, or juice from vegetables and fruits.
- The amount of water required every day is about 50% of your body weight depending on your current state of health and physical activity level.
- Normally, you should drink 8 to 10 glasses of water daily.
- Drink 1 to 2 glasses of coconut water daily
- Or, consume 1 to 2 lemon juice every daily.
- Take 4 tablespoons of lemon juice and the equivalent amount of olive oil.
- Mix them well.
- Drink the mixture every day.
- Squeeze fresh vegetables or fruits to get the juice.
- Drink the juice regularly to provide your body with more minerals and vitamins.
Note: Alcoholic beverages, coffee, and caffeine-containing liquid should be avoided because these kinds of drinks can lead the kidney infection to more serious.
2. Cranberry Juice
Drinking cranberry juice is one of the wonderful home remedies for kidney infection. It greatly contributes to healing the damage of the urinary tract. Cranberry juice helps to increase acid levels in the urine, helping to limit the population of bacteria in the bladder wall , . The proanthocyanidins present in it may help to inhibit the Escherichia coli bacteria from penetrating the urethra walls. Apart from that, it contains antibiotic effects that help fight infections.
Here is what you need to do:
Just drink a glass of cranberry juice without sugar every day.
Yogurt is very rich in probiotics and antioxidants, which all may help increase the immune system and resistance for your body , . The probiotics in it not only raise the concentration of good bacteria in the body but also ward off the bad bacteria.
- Take 2 to 3 portions of yogurt every day.
- Combine apples to yogurt to make your yogurt more delicious and take it in 1 or 2 times daily.
4. Vitamin C Intake Increase
Vitamin C plays an important role in strengthening the immune system, which in turn helps to fight infection . During acute kidney infection, vitamin C can prevent kidney scarring and stimulate the enzymes within the kidneys . It greatly makes acid level at the kidneys increase, which gives a hand to eliminate the bacteria triggering the infection development .
- Eat 1 or 2 citrus fruits, such as grapefruit, lemons or oranges every day.
- Add more Vitamin C- rich foods such as potatoes, peppers and so on to your daily diet.
- Supplement Vitamin C every day as a prescription done by the doctor.
Note: Don’t supplement vitamin C too much every day because high doses can cause an increased risk of kidney stones.
5. Marshmallow Root
Marshmallow root is one of the herbs which are commonly used as natural home remedies for kidney infection. It has an effect to enhance urine flow, thereby eliminating toxins and waste products from the body . It also contains the potential to work as a diuretic. Diuretics can help the body to remove excess fluid, which in turn helps to cleanse the bladder and the kidneys. It also possesses a soothing effect that may relieve internal inflammation and irritation in the urinary tract .
- Put the dried roots of marshmallow in hot water. The recommended dose is a tablespoon of marshmallow every day.
- Let it steep for 10 minutes and get the liquid.
- Drink about 2 to 4 cups daily.
- Take a jar and put the marshmallow root in it.
- Add some water and tightly cover the jar.
- Put the jar in the fridge overnight.
- Get the liquid.
- Add a little honey and shake well.
- Consume the liquid every day.
Note: This remedy is not recommended for nursing women, pregnant women, and people having diabetes.
6. Parsley Juice
Parsley juice can remove bacteria and toxins from the kidneys , . It has a high flavonoid content, which contains rich anti-inflammatory agents to fight inflammation. It further functions as a great diuretic and removes the infection-causing bacteria from the body.
- Put dried parsley (or fresh parsley which is crushed) in some water.
- Boil the mixture and leave it steep for 5 minutes.
- Let it cool down naturally and get the liquid.
- Daily drink the liquid 2 times for some consecutive weeks.
- Prepare a mixture of parsley juice, some water, lemon juice, and some drops of honey.
- Consume the mixture 2 times daily for 2 consecutive weeks.
Note: Ask a doctor for some advice when applying this remedy because parsley interferes with some medications.
7. Olive Oil
Olive oil is a rich source of phosphorus-free and fat, making it a great choice for people with a kidney infection. It may help eliminate toxins in many parts in the body, including the kidneys .
- Take one tablespoon of olive oil and add some water.
- Consume it every day.
- Mix a tablespoon of olive oil with 2 or 3 drops of lemon juice.
- Add some water.
- Drink the mixture every day.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar
Thanks to its antibacterial property, apple cider vinegar is effective at balancing the pH level in the body and preventing the infection from being spread out . It is also full of essential nutrients and enzymes such as potassium that can prevent bacteria causing UTI from thriving and proliferating. It is also enriched with acetic acid, which helps to stimulate the growth of good bacteria while killing the bad bacteria.
Follow the steps below”
- Mix one and two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and honey, respectively.
- Add some warm water to the mixture.
Drink this concoction 2 times every day for some weeks.
As you know, garlic is one of the kitchen ingredients which have several effects for preventing and healing many kinds of diseases. Garlic possesses strong antimicrobial abilities. When inserted into your vagina, it can destroy the bacteria or fungi responsible for the UTI , . It is not surprising that it is one of the commonly used home remedies for kidney infection.
- Eat raw garlic daily before you eat anything in the morning. The recommended dosage is 3 cloves every day.
- Take some garlic capsules every day on the prescription of your doctor.
You may wonder if apples we eat every day can contribute to healing kidney infection. Apples contain abundant fiber and anti-inflammatory compounds. It has a beneficial effect to maintain the acidic level, limiting the growth of bacteria . This fruit also possesses anti-inflammatory properties, which may be useful for helping the kidneys to quickly heal following the infection.
- Eat an apple every day.
- You can also squeeze some apples to get apple juice. Drink the juice every day.
- Cut some apples into small pieces and put them in a pot.
- Add some sugar and some water in it and boil it until you get thick applesauce.
Consume some applesauce every day.
11. Aloe Vera Juice
Aloe vera is also one of the simple and effective home remedies for kidney infection. It can provide a great effect against the toxins present in the urinary tract and kidneys . Nutritive substances found in this plant like aloetin which contains anti-inflammatory agents which can murder fungi, bacteria, viruses, etc.
- Take some aloe vera leaves and wash them.
- Dry them with a cloth.
- Extract aloe vera gel
- Mix 2 tablespoons of gel with some water.
- Blend it thoroughly.
- Drink the juice 2 times every day.
12. Baking Soda
Baking soda has wonderful efficiency to balance the levels of bicarbonate at the kidneys . Being alkaline in nature, baking soda can help neutralize the acidity of the urine when you are having UTI.
Try this method:
- Dissolve one tablespoon of baking soda in water.
- Drink it every day.
Echinacea has been used for a kidney infection for many years. It can help relieve the feeling of pain when you urinate . You can apply the following steps to use Echinacea for the treatment of kidney infection.
- Take leaves, flowers, roots of Echinacea and add some lemongrass and mint leaves.
- Put them in a teapot.
- Add some hot water and leave it steep in the water for a few minutes.
- Extract the liquid and add some honey for being more tasteful.
- Drink a glass of this tea every day.
- Take Echinacea capsules every day. The recommended dosage is 300mg every day.
Note: People having multiple sclerosis and tuberculosis should need some advice from their doctor when using Echinacea to treat kidney infection.
Basil is a kind of herb that is commonly used in the daily diet. As you know, it is very effective to deal with cough diseases, especially in infants and young children. Additionally, it is used as one of the powerful home remedies for kidney infection. It may remove kidney stones, reduce the level of uric acid, and strengthen the kidneys . Along with that, it contains trace amounts of acetic acid that is effective at breaking down the kidney stones and soothing pain. There are also antioxidants and anti-inflammatory activities in basil and it may be useful for maintaining kidney health.
- Take some basil juice and add a little honey.
- Mix the mixture well.
- Consume the mixture for 4 consecutive months to see the improvement.
15. Celery Seed Tea
Celery seed tea has many powers in healing kidney infection. It helps to eliminate waste products and toxins in the kidneys and relieve the pain caused by the kidney infection . It also plays an important role in fighting UTIs and acts as an effective OTC traditional medication. So, celery seed tea is among natural home treatments that you can use to treat kidney infection .
Follow the guide below:
- Grind about a tablespoon of celery seeds.
- Put it in a bowl and add hot water.
- Stir it well and leave it to cool down.
- Get the liquid and drink it once every day and 3 days every week.
Note: Pregnant women should avoid using this remedy.
16. Corn Silk Tea
Corn silk tea is said to be one of the best natural remedies to soothe kidney irritation. Besides, it may help to treat bladder, kidney, and urinary tract infections. It is judged as effective in strengthening the urinary tract and removing toxins and bacteria from the body .
- Put some corn silk in a pot.
- Add some water in it and boil it.
- Leave it to steep for a few minutes.
- Get the liquid and consume 2 to 4 cups every day.
17. Watermelon Seeds
Watermelon seeds may treat your kidney infection thanks to its enormous power to relieve the pain caused by kidney infection , . They are also a natural diuretic that is helpful for kidney cleansing.
- Put watermelon seeds in hot water.
- Leave it to steep for a few minutes.
- Leave it to cool down and get the liquid.
- Consume it every day.
18. Dandelion Tea
You can also use dandelion tea as one of the home remedies for kidney infection to combat this condition . Dandelion provides minerals potassium, zinc, and iron. It has diuretic effects and enhances increased urine production. It further replaces potassium, which may be lost in your urine. It also has antibacterial agents that may help reduce the frequency of urinary tract infections (UTI) in women.
- Put a few dandelion leaves in a bowl and add some hot water to it.
- Allow it to steep for 10 minutes and get the liquid.
- Consume it every day (about 2 or 3 cups).
19. Uva Ursi
Uva Ursi is also known as bearberry which is commonly used to heal kidney infection , . This herb comes with active ingredients, such as arbutin and hydroquinone, which provide antiseptic, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties. These properties are useful for combating urinary tract infections.
Therefore, you can try it as one of the most effective home remedies for kidney infection.
- Put some uva ursi leaves in a teapot.
- Add some water to it and simmer the pot for 40 minutes.
- Continue boiling until there is only half of the water left.
- Extract the liquid and drink it 2 times every day. The recommended amount is ½ cup.
Note: Nursing and pregnant women should avoid using this remedy.
20. Willow Bark
Willow bark has known as one of the best home remedies for kidney infection for years, especially in China because it owns a number of properties helping to relieve the pain , . It also helps to improve and support the kidneys to work well.
- Put the willow bark in a pot. Add some water to it.
- Simmer the pot for 15 minutes.
- Leave it to steep for 45 minutes and extract the liquid.
- Enjoy it (about 3 to 4 cups) every day.
- Take some bark capsules (the bark under the liquid form of 60-240mg is optional) every day.
- Use tincture 3 times every day. The recommended dosage is 4 – 6 ml.
You can easily use these home remedies for kidney infection to help relieve the symptoms of this problem quickly. Have you ever used any of these treatments? Do let us know about your views or experience in the comments below.