When you are reading this article of 30 Home Remedies For Gum Disease, you certainly desire for some useful treatments to prevent gum disease properly. But before taking a deep look at how to stop gum disease at home, we are going to obtain some basic information about this problem first. That way, you can deal with it the right way.
What Is Gum Disease?
Gum disease is an inflammation of the gums, which can progress to affect the surrounding bone and supporting teeth. The cause of the disease is due to the bacteria in the plaque, which is a colorless, sticky plaque formed continuously on your teeth. If it is not removed daily by brushing and flossing, plaque builds up and bacteria will not only affect the teeth and gums, but also even affect the gum tissue and bone of supporting teeth. This causes the teeth to become loose, fall out or need to be removed.
There are 3 stages of gum disease:
- Gingivitis: This is the earliest stage of gum disease, the inflammation of the gums, caused by the plaque that forms on the gingival margin. If daily brushing and flossing does not remove the plaque, toxins from the plaque will irritate the gum tissue, which causes gum inflammation. You may notice bleeding while brushing and flossing. At this early stage, the injury can be healed because the bones and connective tissue supporting the teeth have not been affected.
- Periodontitis: At this stage, the bone and ligaments supporting the teeth have been irreversibly damaged. Your gums can begin to form a pouch beneath the rim, which is where food and plaque accumulate. Proper dental treatment and improved home care regimen can help prevent further damage.
- Periodontal Disease Progresses: This is the last stage of gum disease, ligaments and supporting bone damage that causes your teeth to be raised or shaken, or can be moved. This may affect chewing, and it may be necessary to remove the tooth if the treatment does not help.
What Are Common Causes Of Gum Disease?
- Improper Oral Hygiene: Plaque is a reservoir of dangerous bacteria in the mouth. Improper oral hygiene will facilitate the retention of plaque in the teeth, which in turn generates mass multiplication, gingivitis, and other dental diseases are unavoidable.
- Bad Eating Habits: Sweet, sticky foods are one of the most common causes of dental disease, including gum disease. Sugar in sweets is a good source of food for bacteria, sticky substances in foods such as candies will make plaque easily formed on the teeth.
- Weakened Immune System: For some people with weakened immune systems due to genetic factors, they are more likely to develop gum disease than normal people.
- Diseases: Some diseases such as diabetes, cancer etc. causing immune system weakened, which is also the result causing the gum disease
- Smoking: In tobacco, there are up to 4000 toxic substances which not only affect the lungs but also cause dental diseases such as tooth decay and gum disease
- Side Effects Of Some Drugs: Due to the side effects of some antihistamines, antidepressants etc., which reduces saliva secretion – playing an important role in cleaning bacteria. This can facilitate the growth of bacteria.
- Calculus (Dental) Or Tartar: calculus (dental) or tartar is plaque, which formed by calcium compounds in saliva, usually concentrated in the teeth. The rugged surface of tartar is the ideal place for bacteria to grow. If left untreated, the tartar grows in size, spreading to the bottom of the tooth, lowering the gums, gradually causing disease around the root, and tooth loss. Usually plaque should exist in the mouth for about a week to turn into tartar.
- Dry Mouth
- Endocrine Changes: People who are in pregnant, menstrual cycles or using birth control pills are likely to get infected with gum disease
What Are Symptoms Of Gum Disease?
- Redness, swelling, or irritation of gum
- Bleeding gums: Gum disease makes the gums hurt and easily bleed by external effects such as brushing, flossing with toothpick.
- The upper part of the teeth looks longer because your gums are down
- The gums are detached from the upper part of the teeth, forming pocket the teeth’s root
- Fitness among teeth is fluctuated when biting
- Having tartar, plaque
- Bad breath or frequent discomfort in the mouth: Gum disease causes changes in the oral cavity. Plaque and food are trapped in the mouth for a long time, which will produce unpleasant odors when we communicate or when breathing out by mouth.
When To See A Doctor?
When your body experiences these symptoms of gum diseases which listed above, you should go to dental clinics for timely diagnosis and treatment. Once gingivitis is left long, uncured and repetitive occurrence, it does not only will cause tooth loss, but it also causes some complications related to cardiovascular and pulmonary.
However, most people with gingivitis initially have no symptoms or symptoms that are difficult to detect, only until the disease develops to severe stage, patients begin to see the disease. At this time, the treatment process will be more expensive and effective recovery is not high. Therefore, you should periodically check your dental health, even if there are no signs of dental disease.
There, you have discovered some information about gum diseases, it is time to find out what the best natural home remedies for are. Take a look at TrueRemedies.com!
Top 30 Home Remedies For Gum Disease For Children And Adults
This is the first method in the list of natural home remedies for gum disease. Turmeric has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, which is called curcumin. Curcumin has the function to remove plaque on the teeth, while reducing pain and swelling. In addition, turmeric also inhibits the activity of bacteria, making gingivitis disappear quickly.
Mouthwash contains turmeric extracts that are used as an adjunct, anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial. The effect of mouthwash contains turmeric may have the same effect as the mouthwash contains common chlorexidine compounds (this is an antiseptic against bacteria)
The steps are described as follows:
Method 1: Turmeric With Salt
- Mix one teaspoon of turmeric powder with about half teaspoon of salt.
- Apply the mixture to your teeth and gums
- Massage gently
- Repeat this process twice a day
Method 2: Turmeric With Vitamin E
- Mix half of teaspoon of turmeric with a little water
- Add a drop of vitamin E oil
- Then apply a thin layer of finger on the gum.
- Wait for 10 to 15 minutes for the mixture to penetrate into the infected area
- Wash your mouth clean with lukewarm water
- Repeat this process at least once a day
It can be done regularly once a week to see the best effect.
Method 3: Turmeric Toothpaste
- Blend a teaspoon of turmeric powder with a little water to form a paste
- Use this mixture to brush your teeth after cleaning your teeth with regular toothpaste
Do it at least twice a day for several weeks to achieve the best results.
Apple contains plenty of water and antioxidants, which are useful for purifying food residue and bacteria in the mouth. These properties are very beneficial to treat gingivitis, reduce bad smell.
Cut a piece of apple and chew after each meal. If being infected with gum disease, you can eat apple 4-5 times a day.
According to many studies, garlic contains a lot of antibiotics allicin, which helps against high pathogenic viruses. Because garlic oil contains many components of glucose, allin and phytonite, having the components give this oil the properties of bactericidal, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory.
Along with that, when crushing fresh garlic, substances such as azenes, dianllil disulfide, diallyl-trisulfide and other sulfur active ingredients will help suppress more than 70 kinds of bacteria. All these advantages make many people choose to treat gum disease with garlic at home.
Here is what you can do with garlic to cure gum disease:
Method 1: Garlic Combined With Salt
This is the most popular method of curing gum disease by garlic because it is simple, easy to implement and does not cost much time and money:
- Crush garlic with some salt
- Put this mixture on infected area on your mouth
- Persistently repeat this method every day, you will relieve from gum disease and heal the infection
- Additionally, every morning after waking up, chewing a clove of garlic, your teeth will be stronger than ever.
Method 2: Garlic, Salt And Fresh Ginger
For faster and better effective treatment of gum disease, you can apply treatment of dried garlic, salt combined with fresh ginger, because the ginger contains terpenes, oleoresin and zingiberin, which is a very effective pain reliever.
- Take from 3 to 4 cloves of garlic
- Peel off the garlic’s skin
- Crush garlic to form a paste
- Add a little salt, grinded garlic into a bowl
- Remove ginger skin and wash thoroughly
- Cut the ginger into slices, put them into the bowl
- Mix together
- Apply this mixture directly on your infected gum and leave it for 5 minutes
- Redo 2 times a week for best result
Grapefruit is a nutritious fruit but not everyone knows adequate benefits of it. According to many research, grapefruit also contains lots of fiber, protein, fat, carbohydrate, fiber, rich in vitamin C, vitamin B2, vitamin P, carotene, insulin … and trace elements such as calcium, potassium, iron, etc., which should be very beneficial to the body.
People can take advantage of this fruit for home remedies for gum disease by eating directly 1 or 2 grapefruits per week or make grapefruit juice, depending on your preference.
5. Supplement Vitamin C
Since the 18th century, the relationship between vitamin C and gums has been proven. There is a story saying that since sailors have been eating lemon for a long time on the sea to prevent root canal bleeding.
Vitamin C supplementation is useful in the treatment of gum inflammation, which is essential for repairing connective tissue as well as promoting bone regeneration. Consequently, people should eat foods rich in Vitamin C such as orange, grapefruit, mango, papaya, etc or drink orange juice, lemon juice especially avoid taking vitamin C medicine because it contains acids that can wear enamel.
6. Supplement Vitamin D
Boston University has made a study on the relationship between vitamin D and gum disease. From the analysis of the data from the study, they concluded that people with high vitamin D have less bleeding than those with low vitamin D. Vitamin D is very effective in fighting inflammation, reducing sensitivity. You can add vitamin D from foods such as milk, mushrooms, egg yolks, fish oil, etc. Also, if you want to take medicine to supplement, you should seek the advice from your consulters and follow the dose.
Cucumber is sweet, cool, and crunchy and contains a lot of water, so it has long become a familiar food in the refrigerator of many families with the use of beauty. Also, it is a raw material helping women to make delicious dishes in the daily meal. However, not stop there, this kind of food is also effective in human health care without side effects that not everyone perceives about.
Cucumber contains many nutrients which are good for health. Additionally, this food contains most of the natural vitamins and minerals you need to get into your body daily including vitamin C, fiber, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamins V3, vitamin B5, vitamin B6, folic acid, vitamin C, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc etc. in which not all foods can have. Therefore, eating cucumber daily will be the best method, the most effective and simplest way to provide nutrients to your body, especially its supply of vitamins and minerals are very rich and necessary for improving immune system.
Besides, phytochemicals in cuumber also helps you kill the bad bacteria that cause bad breath. There are different kinds of uses of cucumbers that you could take advantage for your health, including being used as one of home remedies for gum disease. I will mention 2 most popular methods:
Method 1: Eat Raw
- Take 1 to 2 cucumbers
- Wash through and through
- Slide some pieces of cucumbers
- Eat raw with a little salt
Method 2: Cucumber Juice
- Place a few slices of cucumber on your affected area
- Leave it there for 10-15 minutes before rinsing removing it
- This will help soothe the gums and relieve the pain. Cucumber slices contain vitamins and minerals that help the tissues absorb and relieve pain
Caution: Cucumber is a popular fruit, it is good for health, but eating too much will cause side effects such as toxicity, impotence, kidney damage, not good for the heart.
- A major harm of eating too much cucumber is that you will be at risk of dehydration and get imbalance in the body. According to Oriental Medicine, cucumbers are cold and when you eat a lot, you will urinate a lot and are likely to get the risk of impotence
- Cucumber core is rich in vitamin C or caffeic acid. When consuming too much cucumber will cause excess vitamin C, it will be transformed into a pro-oxidant that promotes the growth of free radicals and cells that damage the body under certain conditions.
- Increases the risk of premature aging: Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that also plays an important role in preventing the gum disease and is a powerful antioxidant. However, excessive consumption of vitamin supplements has the opposite effect against the antioxidant nature, causing the growth and spread of free radicals.
Consequently, although cucumber is of significant importance and be used as one of the easiest-to-find home remedies for gum disease, consuming a reasonable amount of it is needed to be take into consideration to avoid unexpected effects.
The anti-inflammatory properties in lemon juice are effective in treating gum disease. In addition, lemons contain vitamin C, which can help prevent periodontal gums . Follow these steps to make use of lemon for gum disease:
Method 1: Lemon With Salt
Salt has high antiseptic properties, healing wound naturally. In the past, our grandparents used salt to brush their teeth to strengthen their teeth  . Lemon is rich in vitamin C and has acidic property, so its anti-inflammatory works effectively. Therefore, salt combined with lemon has become an effective oral cavity remedy, especially gum disease. What you have to do is:
- Mix a little salt with a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice
- Gently put this mixture on the gums.
- Keep it for a few minutes and rinse your mouth thoroughly with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this process 4-5 times a day to see the results this method brings.
Method 2: Lemon With Water:
- Dilute half a lemon with water
- Use this mixture to lightly rub on the teeth after having cleaned the tooth with toothpaste.
- Apply this method twice a day to prevent root canal bleeding and gum disease
9. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera contains antimicrobial and anti-fungal compounds that cause gum disease. It can prevent the accumulation of plaque causing bacteria leading to gum disease. In addition, aloe vera can reduce pain and relieve inflammation at the site of inflammatory gums . In order to use this remedy, you should follow these steps:
- Cut off one fresh leaf from aloe vera plant
- Wash the aloe vera leaf through and through
- Slit it to draw out the gel inside
- Apply this gel directly onto your infected area in the mouth
- Leave it for an hour
- Rinse off with water
- Redo the process two to three times per week to have best results
10. Baking Soda
Baking soda is a popular suggestion when it comes to natural home remedies for gum disease. Baking soda helps neutralize acid in the mouth, reducing the risk of tooth decay and gum disease. Besides, baking soda also acts as a natural antiseptic to help prevent infection more effectively. There are many ways to use baking soda for curing gum disease. You can apply one of the methods below:
Method 1: Raw Baking Soda
- Mix 1/4 tablespoon baking soda with a little warm water
- Apply this mixture gently to the gums
- Hold for 1 to 2 minutes and then thoroughly clean mouth with warm water
- Apply this method two to three times a week
Method 2: Baking Soda Works As A Toothpaste
- Mix a little baking soda in a glass of warm water
- Dip the toothbrush into the solution, then brush the teeth
Ginger is a precious medicine in medicine. It is warm and mild pungent, having antibacterial, inflammatory and analgesic properties. Therefore, ginger is used to support many diseases such as headache relief, diabetes control, food poisoning, stomach disorders, etc. in which, ginger is a popular remedy for gingivitis.
Method 1: Fresh Ginger
- Peel off the ginger’s brown skin
- Grate the ginger flesh
- Mix grated ginger with water to form a liquid
- Strain ginger milk by putting this solution into a cloth
- Apply this solution directly on your infected mouth
- Leave it for 35 minutes until ginger’s oil is out completely
- It should be done several times a day until the disease is gone
Method 2: Ginger Tea
- Take one small piece of dried ginger or some fresh ginger slices
- Prepare ½ liter water
- Get the water boiled
- Steep fresh ginger in boiled water for at least 20 minutes.
- Use ginger tea to rinse or drink every day
- Be patient until your gums and swollen gums are tender
Caution: Fresh ginger is one of the foods that make spices and has therapeutic effects, especially for treating gum disease. However, you also need to know the side effects of ginger on health:
- Endanger for pregnant women: In the second half of pregnancy, ginger should be limited because it can cause high blood pressure. And during breastfeeding, ginger should not be eaten as it can be excreted in human milk causing insomnia in children.
- Not good for people suffer stomached: For people with stomach pain, gastric ulcer, duodenal ulcer, doctors advised not to eat ginger, because in the composition of ginger there are mainly active substances on the gastric lining.
Consequently, the mucous membranes are irritated, abrasive and cause ulcers.
- Reaction with medication: Ginger can fit and interact with certain medications. However, there are some exceptions, so if you want to use ginger, consult your doctor.
12. Tea Bag
The amount of tannic acid in the used tea bag can reduce gum inflammation very effectively. That is why it is listed in this series of home remedies for gum disease.
What you need to do is:
- After soaking tea bags in boiling water, let it cool slightly.
- Place a cool tea bag on the infected gums for 5 minutes or longer.
- This is a very simple home remedy to prevent gum inflammation
Honey has been scientifically proven to be a natural remedy for gum disease, a common disease that causes bleeding gums, bad breath and loosing teeth.
Maybe you will feel a bit surprised, because usually, when being diagnosed with gum disease, sweets are something we need to stay away. However, thanks to good antibacterial properties, honey is used to treat gum disease.
Honey contains an enzyme capable of producing antibacterial hydrogen peroxide, which inhibits the growth of plaque bacteria, reduces the amount of acid produced, and prevents bacteria that produce dextran, a component that causes plaque – stubborn attachment. But not all types of honey are the same, some with stronger antibacterial properties (more than100 times than others), according to research by professors at the University of Waikato, New Zealand.
So how use honey as one of home remedies for gum disease? Scientists are currently studying options such as using diluted honey as mouthwash or adding honey to become one of the toothpaste ingredients. While waiting for these products to launch, you can try the method of rubbing a small amount of honey into the gum area (gum) after brushing your teeth with usual toothpaste.
14. Ice Pack
You should try to overcome gum disease by rubbing a small ice into the jaw bone area for 5 – 7 minutes. The cold will temporarily numb the anesthesia and cause rapid loss of sensation. Apply cold surround the cheeks. Use cold ices on the sides of the face where the affected gum exists to relieve pain and swelling.
Onion is known as the role of raw materials for the processing of delicious food daily, however, onion has many surprises in the protection of health as well as treatment of some minor illness . Hereunder, I want to introduce to the readers two remedies for gum disease from onion that Westerners usually apply. With this remedy, your disease can recover immediately after the first night, the longest is only 3 days. How to apply:
- Wash one onions through and through
- Grate / crush fresh onions
- Marinated 1 teaspoon of sugar for 40 – 60 minutes.
- Grind onions with enough water to make a liquid
- Put this liquid into a bag or cloth
- Squeeze it to extract the onions milk
- Store in a bottle and keep it in the fridge until it is cold enough
- Drink from 2 to 3 times per day with one teaspoon each
- Wash the onion skin through and through
- Put the barks of onions the pot
- Crush or grind dried garlic
- Add a bowl of water to the above mixture
- Boil the mixture for 10 minutes
- Let cool and squeeze the lemon.
- Store the mixture in the refrigerator, drink several times a day to eliminate gum disease.
Blueberry is a home remedy for gum disease, which you can try it right away.
Blueberries, according to researches published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, is a type of raw material that makes as an effective home-based treatment for gum disease because in the blueberry containing a natural antibacterial component against gum disease, blocking the bacteria that form plaque on the teeth – one of the main causes of gum disease. Hence, you should regularly eat blueberries to treat and prevent this disease.
17. Black Tea
In the East, black tea consumption is less common than in western countries. In China, black tea is known as “red tea” due to its red color. Like green tea and other herbal teas, black tea is also known as camellia sinensis . However, unlike teas such as green tea and others, black tea contains a multitude of oxidizes. The English commonly use black tea for morning beverages while the Irish having breakfast and drinking in the afternoon. Many black tea blends have fruit flavors, spicy flowers or flowers. Black tea can be mixed with classic flavors including: bergamot or citrus essential oil.
According to Chinese experience, black tea was used thousands of years ago, not only used as an attractive drink but also as a cure for many diseases, especially gum disease because it contains properties that have the effect of cleaning and reducing swelling in the gum tissue. How to apply:
- Take a warm black tea bag
- Apply to the affected area.
- This will temporarily relieve pain and soothe areas that are swollen
Tomatoes are considered as a nutritious plant because they provide many health benefits. Hence, you should immediately add tomatoes to your diet menu. Thanks to anti-inflammatory substances such as carotenoids and bioflavonoids, tomatoes can reduce chronic pain. A study program showed that drinking a glass of tomato juice a day could reduce TNF-alpha levels in the blood, an inflammatory killer. Tomatoes are good for people with gum disease. You can eat raw tomatoes with bread, or make tomato salad, smoothies or even soup.
19. Remove Calculus (Dental) Or Tartar
The easiest way among home remedies for gum disease is to get tooth enamel. One of the main reason causing the gum disease is tartar. Hence, getting your teeth tanned is the best solution. Removing calculus (dental) or tartar is also the removal of pathogenic bacteria existing in the teeth, under the gum . When the gums are damaged, tartar will cause bleeding and aches for a while. The procedure to remove tartar is very simple and only takes place within 15-30 minutes, ensuring safety so you do not have to worry.
20. Regular Check-Ups
Periodontal examination every 6 months to remove tartar, clean the plaque on the teeth, timely detection of disease to early treatment. When the first signs of gum disease appear, you should go to a dental clinic quickly to see the dentist early and treat the disease promptly.
21. Limited Use Of Toothpicks
If toothpicks are not done carefully, they can affect gums, causing bleeding, worn enamel. Instead, you should take the habit of using floss for yourself, which does not only limit the damage of the gums, but also contributes to the removal of bacteria, reducing the odor in the oral cavity.
22. Oral Hygiene
Clean oral hygiene by brushing with a soft bristle brush. You must remember to replace toothbrushes every 3 months to limit bacteria. In parallel with brushing, you need to rinse your mouth with diluted saline, which enables to remove the leftovers from your teeth, preventing bad breath, and making your teeth and gums stronger.
The 30 above-mentioned home remedies for are claimed to be able to reduce the symptoms of gum disease. Choose some of them and alternate them in your treating to see how effective they are. If you have any contributing ideas about our article of “30 Home Remedies For Gum Disease For Children And Adults” introduced in Home Remedies Category, do not hesitate to drop your words below this post. We will answer as soon as we could.