Table Of Contents
Many people are suffering from dry scalp, which not only causes itchy feelings but also makes their hair look dull, unhealthy and full of flakes of dandruff. The dry scalp will make people feel embarrassed or even unconfident in public because there are many flakes of dead skin fallen on the clothes. Therefore, to know more about dry scalp and how to deal with it effectively, please continue reading this article on TrueRemedies. Follow these best natural home remedies for dry scalp to give your scalp relief.
- 15 Best Treatments For Oily Scalp And Dandruff
- Top 18 Simple Tips To Exfoliate Scalp At Home
- 29 Best Solutions For Dry Hair In Summer
Top 8 Time-Tested Home Remedies For Dry Scalp: Simple And Useful Tips
I. What Is Dry Scalp?
Dry scalp is a skin condition which happens when the skin of your scalp is damaged. In another way, the damaged skin’s natural moisture defenses cause dry scalp. The outer cell layers which are arranged like a brick wall in healthy skin work to keep moisture locked in so that your body stays properly hydrated. However, if the scalp becomes irritated, the structure of the outer cell layers will become weakened, which allows essential moisture to escape and makes the skin on the scalp dry out. The sign of dry scalp is the white and scaly flakes that are loosely attached to your scalp and easily come off the hair. A dry and flaky scalp can become a serious scalp condition if it is accompanied by itching or burning sensation.
II. Causes Of Dry Scalp
Below are several most common causes of the dry scalp:
- Seborrhea (or Seborrheic dermatitis): This condition leads to itching and flaking on anywhere on your body. It is called dandruff when affecting the scalp.
- Malassezia (A yeast-like fungus): It usually lives on most adults’ scalps; however, for some; it brings about irritation and overgrowth of skin cells. The extra skin dying and falling off makes skin cells appear not only white but also flaky.
- Scalp Psoriasis: Psoriasis, an auto-immune disease, produces excessive skin cells growing anywhere, including the scalp. The effect of psoriasis on the scalp is dandruff, itching and flaking.
- Contact Dermatitis: It is also known as sensitivity, especially to hair care products. Some people seem to be sensitive to hair products which are poison-filled industrial because most of them contain harsh chemicals, causing an allergic reaction.
- Poor Diet: The deficiency of vitamins and minerals can cause dry skin, especially dry scalp because the scalp and hair first show the obvious signs of your poor diet. The lack of foods containing high levels of zinc, vitamin B, or certain fats can bring about dandruff.
- Lifestyle Habits: A habit that is daily blowing and drying the hair, especially with too much heat is considered a cause of dry scalp. Your scalp moisture can be sapped due to the use of repeated chemical hair treatments like permanent color, relaxers, and keratin treatments.
III. Home Remedies For Dry Scalp
Follow these natural treatments to combat dry scalp quickly at home!
1. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is popularly used to treat dry scalp, dandruff, and itchy scalp for all ages. It is known as a beneficial ingredient for the dry scalp because terpinen–4–ol in tea tree oil has powerful antifungal properties and antibacterial effects, which help to kill microorganisms triggering dry scalp. Moreover, anti-inflammatory property in it helps to ease the irritated or damaged scalp caused by itchy scalp. It is also beneficial for unclogging the pores and regulating natural oil production.
Tea tree oil also aids to moisturize the scalp and hair to create a healthy environment and help the hair grow well. Additionally, it is not only a natural germicide but also antiseptic fighting against the germs, which harm the scalp and hair.
TrueRemedies Partner Solutions
Need a Help from the Leading Expert Online, Available 24/7?
They’re all here and ready to answer your questions online or by phone. Keep asking questions until you get the answer you need.
Like tea tree oil, coconut oil contains antifungal properties and antimicrobial agents that protect your scalp from dryness and prevent itchy and dry scalp.
- Tea tree oil: 10 – 15 drops
- Virgin coconut oil: 2 tablespoon
- Mix and stir both ingredients well.
- Apply this mixture to the scalp and massage it – focusing on the scalp patches which are itchy and flaky.
- Keep it for 45 minutes and then wash the hair lightly with shampoo and conditioner.
- Continue this method 2-3 times a week, and you will feel the dry scalp clearer.
Peppermint oil contains antioxidants which protect the scalp and hair roots. Like tea tree oil, peppermint oil also has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, which relieve itchy scalp and its symptoms.
- Tea tree oil: 4-5 drops
- Peppermint oil: ½ teaspoon
- Olive oil: One tablespoon
- Mix three above ingredients and mix them well
- Spread this mixture on the scalp
- Massage the scalp for 30-45 minutes, focusing on affected scalp areas.
- Wash it with shampoo and conditioner.
- Repeat this method 2-3 times a week.
- Apart from olive oil, you can use other carrier oil here.
- Another way is mixing some tea tree oil drops with peppermint oil in 1 cup containing warm water, using this mixture to clean the scalp lightly after shampooing, keeping for few minutes and completely washing it.
Shampoos, including sodium lauryl sulfate or propyl alcohol, can make the scalp and hair irritated and harmful. Therefore, using sulfate-free shampoo helps nurture the hair. Especially when it is mixed with tea tree oil, it helps to relieve the itchy and dry scalp. This method is suitable to treat itchiness of the oily scalp.
- Tea tree oil: 10-20 drops
- The baby shampoo: ½ cup
- Mix two ingredients and stir them well.
- Spread this mixture on the scalp and the hair thoroughly.
- Wash it off with water and make it dry to remove itchy flakes.
- Repeat this process whenever shampooing your hair.
- Tea tree oil: 2-4 drops
- Vegetable oil: 1 tablespoon
- Mix both of them and stir well.
- Spread this oil mix on your scalp.
- Massage the scalp lightly, especially areas where you feel itchy.
- Leave it for a few hours
- Then wash the hair with shampoo.
- Do the same process for 2-3 times a week to get the best effects.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar works effectively in preventing the scalp and hair problems so that your scalp becomes healthier and shinier. Being an astringent, apple cider vinegar removes harmful microbes from the scalp and balances the skin’s pH as well. It also contains antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, and anti-inflammatory properties, all of which aid to prevent activities of viruses, bacteria, and fungi on the scalp. Additionally, apple cider vinegar cleanses the outer scalp by killing fungi which cause the dry and itchy scalp.
- Clear your hair with cold water.
- Use a cotton ball and dip it in a bowl including apple cider vinegar.
- Stick the scalp with the cotton covering all areas of the scalp.
- Keep it for about 10-15 minutes.
- Wash it off with cold water.
- Do the same method two times a week until you completely relieve dry scalp.
This method helps to moisturize your hair and prevent dryness and dry scalp problems.
- Apple cider vinegar
(Note: The quantity of apple cider vinegar is equal to that of water)
- Take equal quantities of apple cider vinegar and water and then stir them well.
- Pour this mix over the scalp, massage it and keep it for about 5-10 minutes.
- Wash it off with water, then apply shampoo
Beer acts as a natural conditioner. When used with apple cider vinegar, it works effectively in clearing the dryness and dry scalp.
- Apple cider vinegar: 2 tablespoons
- Beer: 2 cups of beer
- Mix two kinds and stir well
- Spread the mixture on the scalp and hair after shampooing.
- Massage the scalp and remain it for few minutes.
- Rinse it off and continue using this method for best results.
- Water: 3 cups
- Some rosemary
- Apple cider vinegar: ½ cup
- Ten drops each of rosemary and peppermint oils
- Mix 3 cups of water with some rosemary and put the mixture in a saucepan.
- Boil it at low temperature for 45 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and get cool.
- Mix ½ cup of apple cider vinegar and ten drops each of rosemary and peppermint oils.
- Stir well, pour it into an empty bottle and then use it after shampooing.
- Wash it off
The usage of white vinegar can prevent bacterial and fungal infections on the scalp. Moreover, this usage also aids to remove the dead cells from the scalp.
- White vinegar: ¼ cup
- Water: 1 cup
- Mix both of them and set the mixture aside.
- Wash the hair with shampoo and apply conditioner to the scalp and hair.
- Keep it for 3-5 minutes and rinse well.
- Squash the excess water from the hair and massage the scalp.
- Spread the vinegar on the head, directly on the scalp.
- Leave it for 5 minutes and wash with warm water.
- Finally, rinse with water.
Lemon is a kind of fruit, which is very effective to treat dry scalp because it contains a high amount of acid. Moreover, lemon is composed of antiseptic, moisturizing properties and vitamin C, which help to remove excessive dead cells. It also helps remove any dandruff-related fungal infection.
- A lemon
- Squeeze this lemon and pour directly into the scalp.
- Massage the scalp for about 5 minutes.
- Wash your hair
- Use this method two times a day until you remove dry scalp.
This method is applied for a drier scalp.
- A lemon
- Four tablespoons of yogurt (fresh curd)
- Mix two ingredients and stir well.
- Spread it on the scalp and keep it for a few minutes.
- Use shampoo to wash your hair.
- Repeat this method daily till you eliminate your itchy and dry scalp.
- Squash a lemon and add honey.
- Mix honey and lemon juice well.
- Massage your scalp lightly in a few minutes.
- Wash it with shampoo and water.
- A few drops of lemon juice
- A cup of coconut oil
- Warm the taken-out amount of coconut oil.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice.
- Spread it on the scalp and wait for at least 1 hour.
- Wrap your hair in a warm towel in several minutes.
- Wash it off your hair.
4. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is popular for healing damaged skin. Psoriasis is the cause of the itchy and dry scalp. Therefore, it is a great home remedy to remove this symptom because it aids to retain the moisture of the scalp. Besides, it contains antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, which fight against the dry scalp. Using aloe vera in your DIY hair care routine can help your hair become shiny and lustrous.
- A fresh aloe vera leaf
- Any essential oil
- Cut the aloe vera leaf to take out the flesh
- Extract aloe vera gel from it and blend the gel consistently.
- Add several drops of essential oil to it (the step is optional).
- Spread this mixture on the scalp and the hair.
- Keep it for 20 minutes and wash the hair with water.
- Repeat this method daily to get a good result.
Honey is one of the most effective natural ingredients which treat many skin problems, including the dry scalp. There are many studies about honey’s antimicrobial effects, and these studies show that honey can help to eliminate the bacteria and fungi, which make your skin itchy.
- ½ cup of virgin olive oil
- Two tablespoons of honey
- Mix both after warming ½ cup of virgin olive oil.
- Spread it on the scalp, massage lightly and leave it for about 10 minutes.
- Wash it off with herbal shampoo.
- Cover your scalp with a hot towel that aids to lock the moisture.
- Do the same process daily to have the best results.
Note: You can also use coconut oil instead of olive oil.
- Four tablespoons of virgin olive oil
- Two tablespoons of pure vegetable glycerin
- Two tablespoons of pure honey
- Mix three ingredients.
- Wash your hair with shampoo and apply the mixture to the scalp.
- Maybe combine honey with regular conditioner. Mix one part of honey and two parts of conditioner.
- Continue doing the same process each day.
6. Sesame Seed Oil
Sesame seed oil is one well-known ingredient, which is found in various natural home remedies. Because sesame seed oil contains tranquilizing and soothing properties, it can help prevent dry scalp. Also, it prevents you from sunburn and locks the moisture in your hair and scalp. Especially, sesame seed oil has antibacterial properties, which fight against lice – the cause of itchiness.
- 1-2 tablespoons of sesame seed oil
- Few drops of lemon juice (Not compulsory)
- Hot towel (Optional)
- Warm the sesame seed oil
- Apply to your scalp and massage in 10 minutes before going to bed at night.
- Wrap the head with a hot towel; keep it for 10 minutes and then remove it (Optional).
- Wash your hair in the morning.
- Apply this method daily till the itchy and dry scalp is removed.
Note: You can add a couple of drops of lemon juice to the warm sesame seed oil before massaging.
Read more: Top Amazing Effects Of Sesame Oil For Hair Care. This article was medically reviewed/fact checked by Ionut Ignat, RDN, PhD, MD.
7. Onion Juice
People use onion juice with the aim of not only stimulating hair growth but cleansing the scalp as well. Furthermore, onion juice contains natural antibacterial and antifungal properties, which relieve itchy and dry scalp caused by both dandruff and ringworm. It is also high in essential nutrients, such as vitamin C, vitamin B6, germanium, sulfur, potassium, and magnesium.
- 2-4 tablespoons of onion juice
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil (Not compulsory)
- Take 2-4 tablespoons of onion juice out.
- Spread it on the scalp.
- If the onion juice smells strong, you can add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil into it.
- Massage your scalp gently and let it be for about 30 minutes.
- Rinse it off with shampoo and water.
- Apply this method regularly.
8. Coconut Oil
The best way to maintain the lost moisture and combat the dryness is by using oil, especially coconut oil, which creates a barrier helping to keep the skin or scalp moisturized. Therefore, it works extremely effectively on the scalp areas, which are dry and itchy. As a lauric acid triglyceride, coconut oil has a great contribution to hair proteins. It also makes your hair hydrated and eliminates dry scalp.
- Coconut Oil
- Wash your hair and then leave it to dry properly.
- Pour a few drops of coconut oil on the scalp and leave it for about 30 minutes.
- Shampoo the hair with free perfume.
- Apply this method three times a week, and you will feel better.
Note: Alternatively, before washing your hair, you can warm coconut oil and add it to the shampoo.
We hope this article helped answer all your queries and doubts related to dry scalp. Try following the above home remedies for dry scalp regularly to obtain the best effects. Do not forget to drop your comments in the form below to show your thoughts.