It is not amazing that “hair care” becomes the Google top search keyword (with over 2 billion results) nowadays. Polluted environment, beauty demands (coloring, curling iron, etc.), and improper caring, all cause hard-to-recover hair issues. You want to look for treatments but fear that commercially sold products with chemicals can aggravate your conditions, so finding a natural ingredient is advice, and for us, nothing is better than natural olive oil. Today’s article will list out the top benefits and uses of olive oil for hair issues, including dandruff and dry hair. Check them now!
- Top 11 do’s and don’t for hair loss treatment
- Top 21 effective solutions for hair fall control
- Top 15 home treatments for oily scalp and dandruff
The Surprising Olive Oil Benefits For Hair Issues And How To Use It
I. What Is Olive Oil?
Olive oil is an extract of ripe olive fruits. The color of olive oil depends on the ratio of chlorophyll to carotene. It has high esters of oleic acid that forms about 80% of the total fatty acid content. This oil is rich in nutrients, with 200 chemical compounds, so it is used for many purposes including cooking, frying, salad dressing, and making pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, and soaps.
The use of this fruit has recorded for so long, since about 1304 BC by Ramses II, Egyptian ruler for treating ailments but olive oil has just popularly used as a good alternative for animal fats since 1100 AD.
Olive trees grow well in the Mediterranean climate so countries in this area such as Greece, Italy, Spain, etc. are the top producers of olive.
There are four main types of olive oil with different using purposes: extra virgin olive oil, virgin olive oil, refined olive oil, and pure olive oil. However, for hair and skin care, refined olive oil is not recommended.
TrueRemedies Partner Solutions
Need a Help from the Leading Expert Online, Available 24/7?
They’re all here and ready to answer your questions online or by phone. Keep asking questions until you get the answer you need.
II. Nutritious Value
We highly recommend you use extra virgin olive oil as a treatment for your hair issues due to its high content of nutrients.
Here is the nutrients’ content of 100 grams of extra virgin olive oil:
- Saturated fat: 13.8%.
- Monounsaturated fat: 73% (most of it the 18 carbon long oleic acid).
- Omega-6: 9.7%.
- Omega-3: 0.76%.
- Vitamin E: 72% of the RDA.
- Vitamin K: 75% of the RDA.
III. Benefits & Uses
A. Benefits & Uses Of Olive Oil For Dandruff
Why Can Olive Oil Treat Dandruff?
Dandruff is a common problem of the scalp and flakes, and an itchy, scaly scalp are the main symptoms. The white and oily flakes accumulate in your hair and fall down your shoulders at any time of the year but worse during the autumn and winter months. This condition causes much discomfort, and sometimes, causes embarrassing. However, with the help of olive oil, you can say goodbye to dandruff.
- Olive oil has antibacterial and antifungal properties that kill the microbes, then creates a protective barrier on the scalp to inhibit it from harmful microbes, causing dandruff, head lice, etc. on the scalp.
- It’s also a natural moisturizer with its high vitamin E content that helps moisturize the dry scalp, soothe flaking, and minimize dandruff by preventing dry and flaky scalp.
- The polyphenols (water-soluble substance) in olive oil cleared its reputation for cleansing and thus smoothing the dry, itchy and frizzy hair. It also eliminates the buildup of dust, greasiness, dead cells, or other impurities on the scalp and your follicles, helps unclog and nourish them so that hair can grow without a hitch, minimizing scalp irritation.
How To Use Olive Oil For Dandruff?
1. DIY Olive Oil Shampoo
The best remedies for dandruff that you use a shampoo with olive oil.
Recipe 1: Olive Oil And Aloe Vera Shampoo
Why This Works: Aloe vera contains glycoproteins, which help to control inflammation on the scalp and stops itching and urge to scratch. Also, cleansing enzymes in it remove the dead skin to stop dandruff while pectin and polysaccharides help to regain normal cell growth. It can also kill bacteria and fungi, causing dandruff while vitamins and minerals in aloe vera nourish your scalp and make the skin healthy.
- Olive oil
- Natural liquid soap
- Aloe vera gel extracts
- Aroma essences and dry herbs (to add fragrance to your shampoo)
How to do:
- Add the liquid soap, aloe vera gel, and olive oil to a bowl. Stir and mix well.
- Heat a container with water and then add the aroma essence and dry herbs to it.
- Once the aromatic essence gets infused in the water, remove the liquid from the herb leaves.
- Pour the above soap mixture in the aromatic water and stir well until it gets blended well.
- Store it in a clean container for enjoying your olive oil shampoo.
Note: Some skin types get irritation with aloe vera, so if you feel itchy after using this remedy, you should stop.
Recipe 2: Olive Oil And Baking Soda Shampoo
Why This Works: Baking soda is effective at getting rid of the excess sebum from the scalp. Besides, it can remove the grease and oil on the hair, thus leaving your hair soft and clean to prevent dandruff. Furthermore, it does not dry up your hair extensively and soothes irritated and itchy scalp while the antifungal property helps to fight the fungal infection leading to dandruff.
- Olive oil
- Baking soda
- Liquid soap
How to do:
- Create a smooth paste by mixing liquid soap, baking soda, and water.
- Add several drops of olive oil and mix thoroughly.
- Use some essential oils for fragrance.
- Then, shake well and store it in a clean container to use.
Note: Frequent use of baking soda can cause dryness so remember to apply hair conditioner after washing your hair.
2. Olive Oil And Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
Why This Works: This rinse is especially used to treat dandruff caused due to excess oil on the scalp. It balances oil production in the scalp, removes follicle-clogging product build-up, and deeply cleanses your scalp and hair, hence, preventing dandruff. Also, its antifungal and antibacterial properties help to treat with dandruff-causing fungi, maintain the health of your scalp.
- 2tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- 2tbsp of olive oil
How to do:
- Combine apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and water in a small bowl.
- Stir well and wet your hair.
- Pour this rinse on the damp head and massage it into your scalp by using your fingers.
- Allow it to sit for about 20 – 30 minutes and then shampoo your hair as usual.
- Dry your hair and continue doing this olive oil rinse regularly until you diminish dandruff and its symptoms.
Note: If you use it too much, apple cider vinegar can strip away your scalp’s natural oils. Your hair might become brittle and prone to breakage so space out your ACV treatment if you feel your scalp getting too dry.
B. Benefits & Uses Of Olive Oil For Dry Hair
Why Can Olive Oil Treat Dry Hair?
Dry hair makes your hair frizzy, lifeless, and dull and reduces its original beauty. It comes along with continuous hair breaking and split ends, even after a trim. However, the properties of olive oil will be the key treatment for this condition.
- Olive oil is an excellent hair conditioner, keeping your hair hydrated, making it more manageable.
- Olive oil is enriched with vitamin E, the vitamin of human beauty, which can replace the protective layer and bring back shine. Besides, it improves poor scalp health, which is directly linked to lackluster hair quality.
- Olive oil mainly consists of fatty acids, including oleic and linoleic acids, are especially nutritious for the hair and scalp. Those will nourish, strengthen your hair and improve its elasticity to prevent issues such as breakage and split ends. Also, those fatty acids coat your hair shaft to form a protective barrier to control frizz.
- It is high in antioxidants, which help stimulate scalp health and neutralize the damage of free radicals on your hair and scalp.
How To Use Olive Oil For Dry Hair?
There is nothing better for dry hair than the use of hair conditioner with olive oil ingredients after every time washing. If you worry that the commercially sold conditioners have chemicals that can aggravate your conditions, you can make them yourself from natural ingredients in your kitchen. Here we introduce some homemade olive oil conditioner recipes.
1. Olive Oil And Honey Conditioner
Why This Works: Honey can help attract moisture and lock it in your hair shaft thanks to its natural humectant. This moisture barrier also helps condition damaged, dry hair, reduce split ends while taming frizz.
- ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup of raw honey
- Shower cap
How to do:
- Mix the olive oil and honey well.
- Heat it for fifteen seconds in the microwave.
- Wash your hair and pat dry with a towel.
- Apply the mixture to the hair while it is still damp.
- Use a shower cap to cover your hair.
- After 30 minutes, use a mild sulfate-free shampoo and cool water to wash your hair.
2. Olive Oil And Coconut Oil Conditioner
Why This Works: Coconut oil possesses medium-chain fatty acids, which work wonders in nourishing and conditioning your hair. It is also beneficial for preventing the loss of proteins from your hair while penetrating deep into your hair shaft to nourish and hydrate it.
- 2 tbsp cold-pressed coconut oil
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Hot towel
How to do:
- Mix coconut oil and olive oil in a bowl.
- Heat for several seconds.
- Apply the mixture to your scalp and hair while massaging for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Use a hot towel to help cover your hair and keep it on for an additional 30 minutes.
- Use a mild shampoo and cool water to wash your hair.
- Allow it to dry naturally.
Note: The oil blend can leave your scalp and hair much oil so you should wash your hair thoroughly or your hair will look greasy.
In addition to olive oil conditioners, you can try to apply olive oil hair mask for the deeper nourishment.
3. Avocado And Olive Oil Hair Mask
Why This Works: Avocado is full of fatty amino acids that coat your hair shaft and help it retain moisture. The natural oils in it provide your hair with long-lasting and deep hydration. Also, it provides nutrients, vitamins A, B6, D, E and minerals like copper and iron, which helps repair damage such as breakage, split ends, symptoms of dry hair and bring the original shine back.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Shower cap
How to do:
- Pick up the avocado, pit and skin it.
- Put it into a blender.
- Add some water and blend to attain a smooth paste.
- Add olive oil to it and mix thoroughly.
- Wash your hair and remove excess water with a towel.
- Apply the avocado and olive oil mixture while the hair is still damp.
- Cover your head with the aid of a shower cap and let it work for about 60 minutes.
- Rinse it of with cool water & mild shampoo.
- Leave your hair to air dry.
- Reuse this remedy once to twice a week.
4. Mayonnaise And Olive Oil Hair Mask
Why This Works: Vinegar, eggs, and natural oils, all excellent hair care ingredients are available in mayonnaise. Mayonnaise can help maintain the pH balance of your scalp while nourishing and conditioning your hair. Meanwhile, protein in it has the function to restore the health of your hair.
- ¼ cup of mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- Shower cap
How to do:
- Combine the olive oil and mayonnaise.
- Wash your hair well and pat it dry by using a towel.
- Apply it to your hair and with the help of a shower cap, cover your hair.
- Wash your hair after 30 minutes with a mild shampoo and cool water.
- Let it dry on its own.
Note: When you buy mayonnaise for hair treatment, choose the full-fat one because it contains ingredients that nourish your hair. Low-fat or fat-free mayonnaise is full of fillers that probably do your hair more harm than good.
C. Other Benefits & Uses
1. Olive Oil Benefits For Weight Loss
Olive oil has fatty acids, which supply human with much satiating power. Using olive oil in daily meals make you feel full, and you don’t need to consume more food. As a result, you will lose weight more easily.
2. Olive Oil Benefits For Acne And Acne Scars
Due to its natural antibacterial properties, olive oil can kill germs, causing acne . Besides, the high vitamin E content found in olive oil restores the natural oil balance of the skin that helps to prevent acne and its scars.
1. Side Effects
The use of olive oil for hair care can come with some side effects when it is being used excessively used.
- Cause Allergies: If olive oil mixes your fatty skin then your skin can get strong rashes, redness and irritation also may happen. Hence, get consult before using the oil on skin whether it is fit or not in reality.
- Not Safe To Use On A Baby’s Skin: Use olive oil for babies skin may be risky because we don’t know whether they can be allergic to olive oil or not.
2. For Who/ Not For Who?
Olive oil for hair can be used by almost all people but people with oily skin should reduce the content of olive oil to avoid greasy hair symptoms.
V. Where/How To Buy/Store
Olive is available in any supermarkets, but don’t forget to read the product information carefully to identify the origin, types of oil (different types for different using purposes), expiry date, etc.
You should store olive oil in a dark jar, put it in a dark, cool cupboard, or can also refrigerate it. Olive oil connoisseurs recommend storing premium extra-virgin olive oils at room temperature.
Hope that you can find suitable treatments for your hair conditions in this article. If you know other olive oil benefits for hair issues, you can share with us by leaving your comment in the box below.
All content provided is for informational & educational purposes. To determine which method is appropriate for you, we recommend you consult a doctor or healthcare professional.