Having a soft and silky hair is the desire of everyone. But your hair is not always so. Dry hair is one of the common problems that you often encounter. Your hair is dry, tangled, and hard to style. This causes many obstacles to your work and life. But don’t worry because you can solve this problem at home with the help of various natural ways. In this article, we’re going to share with you some of the simple but effective natural home remedies for dry hair in summer. Keep reading to understand more!
What Is Dry Hair?
Dry hair is a nuisance and annoyance for girls. Especially in the autumn, dry weather, sunshine, and winds make the hair more easily dry fiber and split ends. The normal sebaceous glands of the hair shaft are responsible for maintaining the moisture of the scalp. However, for dry hair, this gland becomes less or less active. Dry hair is usually lacking in gloss, fiber, and easy to handle. Drying can be caused by external influences such as sunlight, wind, sea water, dusty environment, and swimming pool water.
Some improper hair care habits also make hair dry and broken, such as tied hair too tightly, shampoo several times, using hair dryer too hot, hair care products inappropriate, and straightening hair frequently.
Each person’s hair is a combination of three elements:
- Scalp condition: Dry, oil or dandruff.
- Characteristics of hair: Straight hair, wavy hair, curly hair, and dyed hair
- Living environment: Living in a city or a province. Do you often have a room with air conditioning? Outdoor weather is high or low humidity, how is the temperature?
Dry hair looks colorless and is easy to fall off. Even worse, the hair looks dry and even like a straw. If you think your scalp is dry, look at the buckles on your shoulders carefully before discarding them. If the cotton duck is small, like powder, it is due to the overproduction of sebaceous glands on the hair elements, not just the dry scalp.
Common Causes Of Dry Hair?
Physical or external conditions can lead to dry hair. Here are some of the common causes of dry hair:
- Your Scalp Doesn’t Make Enough Oil
Your hair may get dry because your scalp does not have enough oil to moisturize your hair. Oil from the hair root helps moisturize the hair, making your hair look shiny and smooth. When your scalp is lacking in moisture, your hair will not get enough oil. That is why the hair is dry.
For older people, the amount of oil in the body will be less, dry scalp followed by plaques on the shoulders and dryness of the hair.
Each healthy hair has an epidermis that protects the hair from the rain and sun, and the epidermis is a shield to protect your hair from the effects of heat. In epidermis of healthy hair, the layers lie tightly together to keep the moisture. When the cuticle is separated, moisture retention decreases, leaving more oil out of the hair.
The sun is so vital to life, but the sun can make your hair lose its vitality. Ultraviolet radiation directly from the sun, the same effect as bleaching hair, will definitely destroy the protein keratin in the hair. This causes the hair becoming dull and to dry out the fibers and cause damage. Sunlight will definitely have a particularly negative impact on the colored hair.
Dyeing, waving, and stretching are so great, that you can change your look and your hairstyle. However, these are the processes that make the hair dry.
Hair straightening and stretching are two things that can damage the hair, using external agents to change the shape of the hair, first breaking the disulfide link in the hair. After that, the hair is reshaped in a new fashion and stays that way. This process reshapes the chemical bonds, arranging these links in new positions, helping to keep the hair long.
Hair dye also causes damage to the hair, which goes deep through the epidermis into the inner core and damages the F-layer on the hair.
- The Daily Effects
Natural hair is quite strong and can be affected by many types of styling, but hair can still be damaged when over-brushed, especially when the hair is wet or tangled. Care should be taken when using a metal spatula because the elastic scabbard scissors can damage the hair. Once the hair is tangled, the epidermis is pulled up. When the hair is brushed immediately, the scab will be pulled out.
Heat is definitely the cause of dry and tangled hair. High heat causes the hair to lose moisture because the hair loses moisture so it is no longer smooth. In fact, if the temperature goes up too high, the water in the hair will boil and form heat bubbles inside the soft hair. This is also a cause of damaged hair. Minimizing the effect of heat on the hair and adjusting the hair styling tools at the lowest temperature is the secret to keeping your hair soft and healthy.
- Hormone Changes
Hormones have a great impact on each of us, both physically and mentally, from having a good night’s sleep, feeling happy to pregnancy and childbirth. And your hormone levels are not maintaining. At the same level throughout life that will change, causing your body to change.
“Birth control pills, pregnancy, and menopause are all times of physiological shifts within the body that can have an adverse effect on the hair, including dryness and brittleness,” says hairstylist Sylvia Vaught.
- Using The Wrong Shampoo
Some people pay little attention to the choice of shampoo. Some people are too economical, choose to buy shampoo regardless of the characteristics of their hair, only care about the choice of cheap products. In contrast, some people assume that expensive shampoos will have good quality and help their hair stronger and more beautiful.
Shampoo containing strong alkaline or shampoo does not match the characteristics of the hair can lose the slime of the hair, stimulate the skin cells, make the hair dull, brittle, tangled, much dandruff, dry and fall out a lot.
- Brushing Hair When Wet
“Remember that hair is most susceptible to breakage when it is wet,” says Vaught.
When your hair gets wet, your hair is most vulnerable. Brushing your hair while wet will help your hair to dry faster, but it will break the structure of the hair, causing brittle and dry hair.
- Poor Nutrition
Just like any part of your body, hair needs nutrients to restore and grow. The main ingredients for hair growth are iron, keratin, zinc, and vitamin B. So, you should note these supplements in your diet. Some suggestions for you: red meat, milk, spinach, eggs soybeans, etc.
Symptoms Of Dry Hair?
Find out a few ways to check your hair condition to determine if your hair is dry:
- The hair becomes dry and curly
- It is easy to break in the middle of the hair
- You feel the change in hair texture (texture rough, jagged or rugged)
- Hair becomes thinner or hair is shed much
- The hair is too spongy and loses of resilience
- Your hair is difficult to style
- It is difficult to troubleshoot your hair
- Slower hair growth
Who Is At Risk Of Dry Hair?
People who regularly use heat to make their hairstyles, regularly use hairdressing chemicals, or even people who regularly sit in air-conditioned rooms are often prone to dry hair.
When To See A Doctor?
One of the worst consequences of dry hair is hair loss. You should see a doctor if the condition of your hair is dry and it does not improve or get worse. Sudden hair loss may be a sign of a condition that requires treatment. Therefore, finding the cause is more important than seeking treatment. Please tell your doctor if you notice more hair loss than usual when combing or shampooing.
Top 29 Effective Natural Home Remedies For Dry Hair You Must Try
Using avocado is one of the simple but effective home remedies for dry hair. Avocado is rich in vitamin E, A and D, most notably vitamin E, so avocados are the fruit of choice for beauty products and recipes. Most studies have shown that vitamin E protects against acid oxidation, thereby slowing the aging process of the skin, making the skin brighter and tighter, while helping the roof. The hair becomes smooth, full of vitality. The fruit is also rich in antioxidants, which prevent the formation of free radicals that lead to cancer, cataracts, aging skin, and help maintain healthy skin and hair. The proteins and amino acids found in the fruit may penetrate the skin to nourish, heal, and improve the hair health.
Method 1: Avocado And Egg
Eggs are considered “the magic pill” for all hair types, but not everyone knows how to use eggs effectively. Eggs are rich in protein, with four main minerals: zinc, selenium, sulfur, and iron. Iron is especially important because it helps cells carry oxygen to the hair follicles.
- Blend half of the avocado if your hair is short and 1 avocado if your hair is long (grinded whole), then add 1 egg yolk and half teaspoon of olive oil.
- Mix this mixture and apply to your hair.
- Rinse your hair with water after 25 minutes.
- Repeat once a week for dry and damaged hair and once a month for healthy hair.
Method 2: Avocado And Olive Oil
Olive oil combined with butter will help you get a perfect mask for your hair because the oil has many good uses for your hair such as reducing tangled hair, improving hair growth, correcting hair loss, and reducing split hair condition.
- Mix the avocado with 1 tablespoon of olive oil into a thick, viscous mixture.
- After shampooing your hair clean, apply this mixture to your hair, stroking it from your feet to the ends of your hair. Apply gentle massage to the scalp and hair for about 5 minutes.
- Rinse with water and wash your hair after half an hour.
- You should use this formula twice a week.
2. Olive Oil
Olive oil contains antioxidants. Applying olive oil to your hair will increase the health of your oily skin. It further acts as a natural nutrient that will help your hair look shiny and soft. It also helps remove toxic chemical elements when dyed. The oil can contain a major moisturizing effect. It could add softness and penetrate the hair shaft and preserve moisture, thus strengthening the hair.
Along with that, it has antibacterial properties to help remove dandruff and hair fleas. In addition, massage with a mixture of olive oil and lavender can help the body to eliminate fatigue and stress.
Method 1: Reduce Dandruff
Dandruff can be removed with a mixture of olive oil and lemon juice. The dry scalp will cause dandruff. As a result, lemon juice helps remove dandruff from the scalp while olive oil moisturizes the new skin.
- Mix lemon juice, olive oil, and water in a ratio of 1: 1: 1 and pour the mixture onto a damp scalp while massaging gently.
- Rinse your scalp after 20 minutes with shampoo.
- Use this method once every 2 weeks to remove dandruff.
Method 2: Reduce Split Ends
In the dry winter months, your hair is broken or broken, split and messy, making it look pathetic. Some olive oil can smoothly handle this problem. Apply olive oil to your hands, slip your hands into styled hair, and just so your hair is moisturized.
Method 3: Use Olive Oil Instead Of Conditioner
Using olive oil instead of the conditioner will be a way to keep your hair moist, helping your hair to be strong and shiny.
- Use olive oil after each shampoo.
- After you shampoo your hair as usual (do not use olive oil), you dry up to 80% of hair
- Use 2-3 drops of olive oil (depending on the hair) to rub and squeeze lightly on the hair.
Method 4: Incorporate Olive Oil
- Combine some coolant oil and 10 drops of olive oil.
- Continue using the palm of your hand to massage the mixture together and apply to your hair, avoid applying to the scalp (because there is steam).
- Rinse it off after 30 minutes
Method 5: Olive Oil Combines Protein (Eggs)
- Prepare 2 beaten chicken eggs, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- Mix these ingredients well to have a mixture.
- Apply to your hair and let it work on for 30 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water and mild shampoo.
- Try following this method for 2 weeks and your hair will become thick and shiny in an unexpected way.
Honey is a favorite ingredient in skin care at home, and at the same time, it is a very effective conditioner. Honey is especially suitable for dry, fibrous hair, lacking in moisture. Honey may help to lock moisture into the hair, moisturizing the scalp. It additionally contains many antioxidants and nutrients, vitalizing the hair and stimulating hair growth. If you regularly maintain your hair with honey, you will soon have soft, smooth hair to be confident in the cold days.
Method 1: Honey And Water
- Mix ¼ cup pure honey with about 1 liter of clean water and rinse thoroughly on the hair.
- Use a shower cap to cover the hair and after 30 minutes rinse with water.
- Wash off with shampoo and use conditioner as usual.
- Apply this method when shampooing to help provide moisture and kill bacteria, giving you a clean scalp.
Method 2: Honey And Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has a good moisturizing effect, like olive oil, which is faster absorbed and is very effective in creating shine for the hair. Coconut oil is also fragrant, when combined with honey will create a very sweet and warm feeling, is suitable for hair care, especially in the winter.
- Mix ¼ teaspoon of honey with 3 teaspoons of coconut oil and warm in the microwave for 30 seconds to melt the coconut oil.
- Wet your hair with water and apply the mixture to your hair, focusing on the scalp.
- Incubate your hair with a bathing cap for about 10 minutes.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water and shampoo with a little shampoo.
- After shampooing, do not use the dryer, nor wipe the hair with a towel, but use a paper towel soaked in the hair, and let your hair dry naturally to prevent damage.
Method 3: Honey And Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar can act as a natural conditioner, which closes the hair follicles, leaving the hair dry.
- Mix 1/4 cup of pure honey with 10 tablespoons of vinegar.
- Wet your hair with water first, then apply the mixture to your hair, and wait for 15 minutes.
- Wash with lukewarm water and shampoo as normal.
- You can apply this condition once a week. This formula is especially suitable for people with naturally curly hair.
Method 4. Honey And Olive Oil
- Mix 1/2 cup of honey with ¼ cup olive oil and heat in the microwave for about 10 seconds.
- Apply the mixture to the hair and use a shower cap to cover your hair.
- After 30 minutes to 1 hour remove the shower cap and rinse with a little shampoo.
- If possible, use a dryer from outside the hair hat, which will stimulate the deeper penetration.
- Don’t use extra conditioner.
- Only after 2-3 times to apply, you will see that your hair is softer, shinier, and has the same shine that has survived for a long time.
Method 5. Honey And Banana
- Grind a ripe banana in a smooth grinder.
- Add ½ tablespoon of honey, turmeric powder and 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise in the mashed banana.
- Mix all the ingredients and apply the mixture to the scalp. Remember to apply the mask to the roots and hair bands.
- Leave the mask for 1 hour and then use cold water to rinse.
- Shampoo and flush your hair as normal.
Method 6. Honey, Egg, And Olive Oil
Eggs are rich in protein sources to help condition the hair after sunburn. Olive oil and honey are well known for their ability to help moisturize and shine the hair.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of honey, 2 tablespoons olive, and 1 egg yolk.
- Apply to the hair and massage gently for 15 minutes before rinsing with water.
- Follow it regularly and you will notice that your hair is less split and slippery.
Method 7: Honey And Pumpkin
This remedy is one of little – known home remedies for dry hair. Pumpkin is rich in vitamins A, E, beta-carotene, and zinc, which are very good nutrients to restore dry hair.
- Crush a pumpkin and mix with 1 to 2 tablespoons of honey.
- Apply this mixture to the hair and scalp.
- Hold for 20 minutes and rinse with water
Method 8: Pure Honey And Lime Juice
- Mix 1 tablespoon of honey, 1 liter of warm water, and a few drops of lemon juice.
- After shampooing for a long time, wet your hair, apply the mixture to your hair and massage for 5 minutes.
- In addition to keeping the shine for the hair, this beauty recipe also helps the hair against UVA and UVB rays from the sun and nourishing hair always shines from the root to tip.
4. Strawberries And Mayonnaise
The abundant variety of antioxidants, vitamins, and ellagic acid in the strawberries help battle hair loss, prevent dandruff and moisturize the hair.
Dutch scientists have shown that berries are especially healthy because they contain more nutrients than tomatoes, kiwis or broccoli, which are high in nutritional value. For example, berries contain 10 percent more antioxidants than tomatoes. Mayonnaise contains L-cysteine, a powerful antioxidant that strengthens your hair and makes it shiny and thick, so it is considered the best natural for dry and damaged hair.
- Take 8 strawberries and 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise.
- Blend the fruit and put in the mayonnaise.
- Mix the two ingredients into a mixture of creams.
- Apply a thick layer of the mixture to your wet hair.
- Hold for 15 minutes and shampoo
Papaya, one of the best home remedies for dry hair, is a fruit rich in antioxidant nutrients such as carotene, vitamin C, vitamin B complex, folate, minerals, potassium, magnesium, and fiber. Some lotion and shampoo products use papaya as a raw material for production. According to many hair care professionals, you can use papaya by eating directly or using hair care products with papaya extract. It can stimulate healthy hair growth, helping to prevent baldness and treating hair loss. It is regularly used as a hair conditioner . Besides, it is rich in minerals, vitamins, and enzymes that safely remove dirt, oil, and chemicals from your hair. Use a papaya hair mask to help your hair become thicker, stronger and shinier.
- Prepare 1 cup of cooked papaya, peeled, cut, 1 cup of cooked banana, peeled, cut, 1 tablespoon of honey, 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, and 1 cup of yogurt.
- Put all ingredients into a blender jar smooth. Then, apply directly to your dry hair.
- Next, wrap your hair with a plastic hat and wrap the towel around your head for about 30 minutes.
- Finally, wash your hair normally.
You can also use papaya leaves for hair care because they are useful for nourishing damaged, dry and lacking hair. Besides, they help remove dirt, oil, and chemicals that stick to your hair without side effects.
6. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is popular for its moisturizing effects and has been used in different hair products particularly to treat hair loss and dry hair problems. It has a good combination of minerals, vitamins, and amino acids, which can improve dandruff and dry hair . It also provides moisture to your hair, giving you smooth, healthy hair.
- Peel some aloe vera leaves.
- Take the gel inside the conditioner.
- Apply evenly to your hair after washing your hair
- Hold for 20 minutes before rinsing with water.
7. Coconut Milk And Lemon
Coconut milk and lemon is one of the simplest home remedies for dry hair. Coconut milk helps moisturize the hair. It is also storehouses of vitamins C, E, B and calcium, magnesium, and iron, which all help to boost the hair follicles while stimulating hair growth. This is especially useful for restoring damaged, weakened, brittle, and dry hair and split ends. It is also a good organic hair conditioner that provides you with thicker and longer hair. Lemon helps prevent dandruff, hair loss, and make your hair look shiny.
- Mix some coconut milk with lime juice.
- Keep in the refrigerator for several hours until the surface of the mixture becomes soft as a hair conditioner.
- Apply this cream to your hair.
- Massage gently and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Rinse with water.
The Mayonnaise is made from egg yolk, cooking oil, and vinegar, which are all high in protein, providing the nutrients needed for the hair. It also contains amino acids and antioxidants to help the hair grow long and shiny long hair while its antioxidants help to make your hair strong. According to a study, the amino acid is vital for building keratin in the hair, making it strong and helping it grow.
Method 1: Just Mayonnaise
- You need to wash your hair with water for damp hair, wash with warm water if possible.
- Take a handful of mayonnaise to the palm of your hand.
- Apply the mayonnaise to the hair while massaging gently.
- Incubate your hair with a cotton towel or headgear in 20-30 minutes for protein and nutrients to penetrate into each of your hair.
- Wash your hair with water to clean.
- If your hair is damaged a lot, then use this method regularly for 2-3 months to restore your hair.
Method 2: Mayonnaise And Eggs
- Mix one egg and half a cup of mayonnaise and add a few drops of oil.
- Apply to your dry hair and after 30 minutes shampoo your hair as usual.
- You will notice the difference after conditioning hair this way. In addition to the restoration of dry and damaged hair, it also protects against color drift.
Beer is made from fermented rye and wheat with vitamin B1, a large amount of protein, so it can restore damaged hair. On the other hand, scientists have demonstrated that mantozo sugar and sucrose (sugar cane) are present in the beer that may tighten the epidermis of each hair strand, making the hair stronger and healthier.
- Shampoo your hair with normal shampoo.
- When the hair is dry, use a can of beer to apply to the hair.
- Cover with a hat or a hot towel to wrap your hair for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly with water and repeat it 2-3 times per week.
10. Omega-3 Rich Food
Omega-3 is a healthy fatty acid that has a good restorative effect on dry hair. You should consume omega-3 rich foods in your everyday meal to have healthy hair.
Omega-3 consists of three forms: DHA (docosahexaenoic acid), ALA (alpha-linolenic acid) and EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid), which are found in everyday foods. ALA contains many of the oils of plants, especially walnuts and sunflower. DHA and EPA are abundant in fish, fish oil, and other seafood. You should consume omega-3 rich foods in each meal every day to have healthy hair.
11. Almond Oil
Almond oil is light yellow, slightly liquid. It is often used for beauty because it is very benign, not stimulating. With hair, almond oil helps nourish soft hair and reduce hair loss.
It is quite effective in restoring dry, damaged hair. It is also beneficial for repairing the damage caused due to heat styling tools such as straightening irons, blow dryers, and curling rods. The vitamin E housed in the oil is rich in antioxidants, which can combat damage, keeping your hair shiny and strong.
You just apply almond oil to your hair, massage gently in a circular motion for 15-25 minutes, then you wash your hair with water.
You can also make a fairly effective masking mask.
Follow these steps:
- Take 1 tablespoon of almond oil, 1 tablespoon of lime juice and 1 tablespoon of honey
- Mix well and apply to your hair, especially damaged hair.
- Wipe the cotton wool over warm water and wrap around the head. Other towels may be changed or use a heat generator if needed.
- Wait for 30 minutes and rinse with cold water.
- You can use this mask twice a week for the best results. This mask provides moisture and nourishment deep in the roots to restore beautiful shine for dry hair.
The next one in regard to home remedies for dry hair is chamomile. The composition of chrysanthemum helps hair grow stronger, thicker and grows considerably. Chrysanthemums contain active ingredients that have been praised for some amazing properties. These properties include great benefits in caring for hair and stimulating hair growth. The use of chamomile tea reduces and prevents hair loss by enhancing hair follicles. Chamomile tea is very effective in supporting dry scalp treatment.
Moreover, shampooing your hair with chamomile tea also helps to retain the shine of the hair effectively. If you have dry scalp, you can use chamomile tea because its nutrients help not only soothe the scalp but also treat any inflammation or irritation of the scalp.
- Use a handful of chamomile and pour about 4 cups of boiling water.
- Cover the teapot cover and let it stand for about 20 minutes.
- Filter the tea and let cool. Use chrysanthemum tea to wash your hair and scalp.
- Do not wash with water
- Use chamomile tea daily to keep the shine of hair color and effective dry scalp treatment.
13. Castor Oil
Castor is a flower in Jamaica. The oil extracted from this flower has the ability to thicken the hair, moisturize the hair follicles, and stimulate hair growth in baldness-prone areas. It additionally contains antioxidants that help to support the keratin in the hair, making it smoother, stronger, and healthier.
Just massage the scalp with this oil daily, the hair will be thicker and more bloated.
- Mix 4 tablespoons of honey, 4 – 5 drops of castor oil, and 2 drops of peppermint oil.
- Use the mixture to massage the scalp within 15 minutes.
- Roll your hair back into a bathing suit or towel. Leave within 20 – 30 minutes for the mixture to penetrate the skin and hair roots.
- Rinse your hair with shampoo.
14. Shea Butter
Shea butter is rich in vitamins A, E, fatty acids and moisturizers that help nourish and restore hair from deep within, for soft hair, strong, and shiny hair. Besides, anti-inflammatory properties present in it can provide healing impacts without clogging the pores, thus helping decrease redness and scalp irritation. Furthermore, as a natural product, Shea butter is safe to use on all hair types, even hair that is dry, damaged, or color treated.
- Heat the mixture with 2 tablespoons of shea butter and 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, and a little olive oil.
- Wait until the butter melts and add a spoonful of honey
- Apply to your wet hair
- Shampoo again with water
15. Argan Oil
Argan Oil can penetrate deeply into the hair follicles, providing nutrients of omega 3-6-9 fatty acids to the hair and moisturizing without causing oily, obstructive hair roots. The rich content of vitamin E in argan oil may help improve hair growth. The nourishing fatty acids and powerful antioxidants in this oil are effective at keeping your hair moisturized and protecting against damage caused due to free radicals and styling damage. Furthermore, it is one of the natural treatments for hair loss and dry hair.
- Using argan oil in combination with avocado oil or aloe vera for a great effect.
- Apply the moisturizing mask to the scalp and moisturize normally after 10-20 minutes.
- This hair mask helps you to nourish the scalp and condition your hair while reducing the flaking of the horn and preventing dryness of the hair core without over-drying.
16. Black Tea
The full nutrients in your daily black tea will not only boost your immune system but also make a bobbing hair. That is why it is listed in the series of home remedies for dry hair. Black tea helps to give shine to damaged and dry hair while making it silky.
Along with that, the caffeine found in Camilla Sinensis plants helps block DHT (Dihydrotestrone). This hormone is thought to be responsible for hair loss. In addition, antioxidants are also said to help inhibit DHT, so a simple teacup has a powerful punch for your hair health. It also has antioxidant properties and contains many vitamins that are good for hair growth, especially regenerating hair pigment, which reduces early childhood hair loss .
For this treatment, in a glass of black tea, put two teaspoons of fresh milk and a few drops of salt into and then rub the mixture on the hair. Keep it on for 1 hour and then wash the head with water. Follow this treatment regularly to see the best results.
Choose some of these home remedies for dry hair and alternate them in your treating to see how effective they are. Have you ever any of these treatments for dry hair? Do you know other ways to treat this problem? Please share with us in the comments box below. Wish you have soft, smooth hair!