Tonsils are fragments of the human body. The primary function of this body part is trapping infectious particles inhaled inside our bodies and transmitting them to the lymphatic system to expel it from the body via the immune system. You might suffer from swollen tonsils because of viral and bacterial infections such as strep throat, cold, herpes, measles, etc. As usual, a doctor’s visit will be recommended to administer the bacterial infection of the condition.
If you or your family members are suffering from swollen tonsils, you may want to know how to get rid of it once and for all. Here we will uncover home remedies for swollen tonsils pain with white patches, but initially, we will guide you through necessary information about this disease. Check out now!
What Are Swollen Tonsils?
Swollen tonsils, also known as tonsillitis in medical terms, are a phenomenon that causes swelling in 2 lymph nodes in 2 sides inside your neck. Every person can get this disease, but it is particularly common in childhood.
This condition is contagious and may be caused by several common viruses as well as bacteria, like Streptococcal bacteria, which results in strep throat. If left untreated, swollen tonsils caused by strep throat might result in serious complications. Often, the symptoms of swollen tonsils will disappear within 7-10 days.
What Are Causes Of Swollen Tonsils?
The culprits of swollen tonsils pain with white patches are virus and bacteria. Virus and bacteria may attack you when you have some diseases below:
- Strep throat
- Adenoids virus
- Herpes simplex virus
- Epstein-Barr virus
- Common cold
Children who have close contact with others at play or school, exposing them to different viruses and bacteria. It makes them vulnerable to the germs, which trigger swollen tonsils.
What Are Symptoms Of Swollen Tonsils?
Everybody has these symptoms below are patients of swollen tonsils pain with white patches:
- Your tonsils are red and painful
- Sore throat
- Painful head
- Have trouble swallowing and breathing by mouth
- Aching ears
- Glands in the neck and jaw area are swelling
- High fever
- Bad breath (halitosis)
- Loss of voice and appetite
- General malaise
Besides these signs above, you can see these symptoms above on a child getting swollen tonsils pain with white patches:
- Vomit and nausea
- Pain abdominally
When To See A Doctor?
Rarely, swollen tonsils may cause the throat to swell, causing trouble breathing. In case this happens, you need to seek instant medical attention
You had better make an appointment with a doctor if you feel some unusual symptoms below:
- You have a high fever ( 38.3 degrees Celsius or higher)
- Your tonsils are covered by white or yellow
- Pain severely
- Only one side of throat is aching
- Headache abdominally
- Pain and difficult to swallow severely
- You have to breathe through your mouth many times
- Your voice is very nasal or muffled –sounding
- Dry mouth and tongue
- Urinate less than normal
- In spite of treating, there are seven times in 1 year you have tonsillitis
Now, you know some basic things about swollen tonsils pain with white patches. Now it’s time to find out home remedies for this problem.
After that, if you want to know further similar effective home remedies about health and beauty, visit our main Home Remedies page here.
64 Effective Home Remedies For Swollen Tonsils Pain With White Patches
1. Gargle With Salt Water
Salt has some properties which are good for treating swollen tonsils, such as anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antifungal, antivirus. Gargling sets a whirlpool inside the throat and removes any phlegm sticking to crevices inside your throat and mouth by combating the infection. When the tonsils are enlarged, phlegm and pus might get stuck between tonsils and pillars and might not come out when you spit as usual. Gargling will flush the area, loosen the bit lingering there and therefore eliminate the same.
Using salt to gargle will promote osmosis. It is beneficial in 2 ways. First, it helps eliminate water from any microbe or bacteria presenting in the tonsil, causes it to shrink and then die. Second, this ingredient may aid in removing inflammation and edema by sucking in the fluid/water from swollen tissues.
Also, salt may prevent infection, restore the pH of the throat, thereby increasing blood circulation, and eliminate mucosal irritation and acidity. Increased blood circulation may help in supplying infection-fighting cells much faster to the affected site. As a result, it helps accelerate the healing process faster.
To get salt water for relieving swollen tonsils and white patches pain, do the following steps:
- In every 250 ml of warm water, add 5 grams of salt
- Gargle this solution from 3 to 4 times a day
After doing two steps above a few days, fluids from the mucosa of the throat will run away.
Note: Excess concentration of salt in water may dry up your throat’s mucosa and worsen the infection. Drying is bad. Thus, you should use just proper amounts of salt.
2. Baking Soda
Baking soda has a long history of being used at home for many purposes, from cleaning to basic first aid. Also, it is considered as one of the most effective home remedies for swollen tonsils and white patches pain thanks to anti-inflammatory, antiviral and antibacterial properties. It is beneficial for preventing strep throat – a cause of swollen tonsils. The methods below will show you how to use it for curing swollen tonsils:
Method 1: Baking Soda
- Combine one teaspoon of baking soda with a ½ cup of lukewarm water
- Swish this solution once a day
Method 2: Baking Soda And Salt
- Make a solution consists of 1/8 teaspoons of salt, ¼ teaspoons of baking soda and a cup of lukewarm water
- Gargle with this solution every three hours
Method 3: Baking Soda And Lemon
- Squeeze a lemon to take an extract
- Add one tablespoon of baking soda to it
- Stir well and rinse your mouth with this solution five times a day
The antiseptic and antiviral properties of lemon are excellent for treating swollen tonsils pain. Also, it is an excellent source of vitamin C that boosts the immunity and treats sore throat – a symptom of swollen tonsils because of its antimicrobial effects. Take one of these methods below:
Method 1: Water, Salt, And Lemon
- Make a mixture includes juice from half of a lemon, one tablespoon of salt and 1/4 cup of water
- Gargle this mixture every day
It’s better to use lukewarm water to make this mixture
Method 2: Lemon, Salt, and Honey
Honey is a natural antibiotic that helps your body fight off germs invading your system.
- Create a solution made from a pinch of salt, lemon juice and a glass of lukewarm water
- Drink this solution twice a day for a few days
Method 3: Lemon, Honey, And Thyme
Thyme is a valuable herb known as one of the best natural remedies in nature for tonsillitis. Its extract helps in eradicating fever – one of weakening and troublesome symptoms of tonsillitis. Many parts of this herb are medically used in treating various illnesses. With its antibiotic property, thyme may destroy harmful microorganisms, which may cause your tonsils to get inflamed. Also, thyme helps reduce pain, thereby giving the suffering much essential relief.
- Boil one cup of water and add one tablespoon of dried thyme to it
- Wait for five minutes
- Let them steep for five more minutes
- Add one teaspoon of honey and juice of half of a lemon to it
- Stir well and drink while they are still warm
Method 4: Lemon Juice And Water
- Germ growth will be hidden when your gargle this concoction:
- Mix lemon juice with water
- Add one teaspoon of honey and ginger to it
- Swish this solution every day
- Spit a slice of lemon with a little bit of salt and pepper
- Suck on this slice of lemon
- Do this process from twice to 3 times per day until you feel better
4. Orange Juice And Water
Orange juice is rich in vitamin C, which is good for enhancing the immune system to fight tonsils infection. To make use of it as one of the home remedies for swollen tonsils, take the following steps:
- Squeeze to extract juice from the orange
- Mix lukewarm water with orange juice with a ratio of 1:3
- Gargle this concoction every day
5. Carrot, Beetroot, And Cucumber Juice
Beet is a rich source of iron, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sulfur, iodine, manganese and copper. These minerals are good for fighting toxic factors that cause tonsillitis. Carrot is rich in vitamin A and has anti-toxicant property. It is useful for people suffering from tonsillitis caused by constipation. Cucumber has a laxative property. The combination of cucumber, beetroot, and carrot may create an effective home remedy for swollen tonsils and white patches pain . Take the following steps:
- Wash and peel beetroot, carrot, and cucumber carefully
- Put them into a blender, add water to it and grind it
- Take its juice and consume daily
You can also drink carrot juice, beetroot and cucumber separately
6. Drink Plenty Of Fluids
Fluids may keep your throat be moist and hydrated. The painful, itchy, and irritating feelings associated with swollen tonsils may be soothed easily by drinking fluids. By fluids, we mean that you should consume these kinds of liquid: fruit and vegetable juice, fresh water, warm herbal tea. To avoid making your swollen tonsils more serious, stay away from caffeinated drinks, carbonated drinks, beer, wine, milk.
7. Hydrogen Peroxide
Like saltwater solution, hydrogen peroxide is antiseptic, antibacterial, and safe for swollen tonsils patients. The most effective way to use hydrogen peroxide for swollen tonsils is to swish the mixture made from 1 cup each of warm water and hydrogen peroxide and then spit it out.
8. Fenugreek Seeds
The effective properties make fenugreek seeds an effective home remedy for swollen tonsils pain with white patches, especially sore throat. To use up it, do these steps below:
- Mix from 2-3 cups of water with one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds
- Let it simmer for half of an hour
- Sieve and let it cool
- Gargle this solution for at least half of a minute and then spit out
- Do these steps above twice daily
This is a very popular ingredient in every kitchen. Thanks to its soothing and healing properties, basil is considered as one of the effective ways to treat swollen tonsils with white patches. Used in Indian for various reasons, the holy herb is used by Indians in their daily worship and also to purify the environment. Often, the most common use of basil is for home remedies, particularly to improve immunity and treating infectious diseases such as sore throat, cold and tonsillitis. Basil, with its amazing anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties, can help accelerate the treating process of swollen tonsils. The steps below will show you how to utilize it for swollen tonsil removal:
- Wash ten basil leaves carefully
- Boil them in one glass of water
- Crush four peppercorns and add it to the liquid above
- Continue boiling until ½ cups of liquid remain in the pot
- Strain and a little bit of sugar
- Drink this liquid while hot three times per day
- Mince some basil leaves
- Boil it in water for 10 minutes
- Strain the liquid and add honey to taste
- Drink this solution from 2 to 3 times per day
Method 3: Pepper, Ginger, And Basil Leaves
- Ingredients: one spoon of pepper, ½ tablespoons of ginger and one tablespoon of basil leaves
- Crush pepper, chop ginger and basil leaves carefully
- Mix them
- Consume this mixture three times a day
- This method is appropriate for bleeding disorder patients
- If you are going to have surgery, don’t use this mixture. Basils act as a blood-clotting preventer
- Don’t use this mixture when you are using some kinds of medicine such as ketoconazole, fexofenadine, and Lovastatin.
Cinnamon contains many properties good for swollen tonsils patients, such as anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, etc. Cinnamon may open your airway and reduce the amount of phlegm production. To make use of cinnamon for swollen tonsils pain relief, choose one of the following methods below
Method 1: Cinnamon And Honey
- Mix one teaspoon of cinnamon powder, one glass of warm water and two teaspoons of honey together
- Stir well and sip this solution when it is still warm
- Drink this mixture from twice to three times a day for one week
Method 2: Cinnamon And Lemon
- Create a solution by mixing these ingredients: one teaspoon each of lemon juice, cinnamon powder and apple cider vinegar
- Mix these ingredients with hot water
- Drink this liquid to cure tonsillitis
Method 3: Cinnamon And Milk
- Mix cinnamon powder and a cup of milk
- Drink this mixture every day
Warning: This method is not appropriate for 1-year-old children or younger because of botulism bacteria
Method 4: Cinnamon And Water
Make a decoction containing a ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder and a cup of lukewarm water and gargle with it.
11. Green Tea
Green tea leaves have several phytochemicals, which are named flavonoids displaying antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial properties. Many studies have officially shown that green tea to be beneficial for fighting off cardiovascular disease while repairing the damaged as well as inflamed tissue, although flavonoids are also efficient in killing bacteria. The article published in “Molecular Nutrition and Food Research” showed that the extract of green tea exerted strong antimicrobial property of the tea. It means that drinking green tea may help decrease tonsils’ swelling once the swelling is a result of infections.
Therefore, soreness and swelling inside your tonsils may be eased when you do the following steps:
- Mix one teaspoon of tea leave and a cup of water together
- Boil it for 15 minutes
- Strain and let it cool
- Gargle this solution three times a day and once before going to bed
Turmeric has anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and antifungal properties, which may relieve discomfort due to swollen tonsils by treating sore throat. This herb-spice has been studied a lot all around the world. Now, it is beyond doubt that turmeric is considered one of the best natural anti-inflammatory agents. It also has immune boosting and microbial ingredient, so you can use it as an effective home remedy for swollen tonsils.
Method 1: Turmeric And Honey
- Make a paste of one teaspoon of turmeric and one teaspoon of honey
- Consume this paste three times a day until you feel all nuisances caused by swollen tonsils disappear
Warning: This method is contraindicated with some cases below:
- You are suffering from a gallbladder problem
- You are attacked by some hormone-sensitive conditions such as breast cancer, uterine cancer, ovarian cancer, uterine fibroids, and endometriosis
- You have diabetes
Method 2: Turmeric And Water
- Make a concoction includes one teaspoon of turmeric powder and a glass of warm water
- Gargle this liquid several times a day and once before going to bed
Method 3: Turmeric, Black Pepper, And Milk
- Heat a cup of milk until it is warm
- Add one teaspoon each of black pepper powder and turmeric powder
- Stir well and drink it three nights every day before going to sleep
Method 4: Turmeric And Goat Milk
- Boil a pinch of turmeric powder in a cup of goat milk
- Drink this liquid every day to treat swollen tonsils
13. Apple Cider Vinegar
This is an anti-inflammatory agent in nature, which is appropriate for swollen tonsils. Apple cider vinegar also has antibacterial properties which fight off the infection-triggering bacteria. Besides, its acidity may reduce the pH level of the tissue, preventing the bacteria growth. Using raw ACV which has prebiotic inulin may increase white blood cells and T-cells amount while strengthening your immunity. Moreover, the natural expectorant nature of it may loosen and thin the phlegm or mucus presenting in the throat. As a result, it helps swollen tonsil sufferers breathe and swallow easily. To make use of it, choose one of the following steps:
- Mix one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a cup of lukewarm water
- Gargle this solution every day to soothe swollen tonsils
- Rinse your mouth with water after that
- Repeat every day
- Do not forget to rinse the mouth after using ACV. If not, the acid build up may erode your tooth enamel.
- Also, do not brush your teeth instantly after drinking or gargling ACV because it might result in physical abrasion that damages your teeth’s structure. Wait for at least 30 minutes before brushing.
Onion is a popular ingredient in every kitchen and may be used to treat different diseases, including swollen tonsils. With anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, onions may work wonders against sore throat.
By following the method below, you can treat swollen tonsils in all natural ways. But remember that even though the symptoms of swollen tonsils might begin disappearing in about 3-4 days of using onions, you still need to use antibiotic treatment for no less than 8-10 days to permanently treat swollen tonsils.
- Peel and wash an onion thoroughly
- Ground and cover it in a cloth bag
- Squeeze to extract its juice
- Mix onion juice with a glass of lukewarm water
- Gargle this solution every day
- Make a paste from ground onion and heat it in a pan
- Make a bandage and apply them to the external of throat
Ginger is a potent anti-inflammatory and antibacterial property. It is good for curing a lot of health problems, including swollen tonsils. It is even beneficial for curing throat infections, particularly when you combine it with basil leaves and black pepper.
Take the following steps:
- Boil some slices of ginger in one cup of water for five minutes
- You can add a little bit of honey to sweeten
- Drink this tea three times a day
- Take 10 gm of ginger, 8-10 basil leaves, and 4-5 black peppercorns
- Crush them first
- Boil a glass of water in a pan, put all ingredients into
- Boil it up till it reduces half, then you get the decoction
- Strain and sip it hot like a tea
- Repeat this method for 2-3 days or until you get your desired results
Your immune system will be boosted significantly if you consume lime. Moreover, the antioxidant property of lime may aid in fighting infections. To utilize it for swollen tonsils, take the instructions below:
- Create a concoction consists of juice of a lime, one cup of hot water, four teaspoons of honey and a ¼ teaspoon of salt
- Take this liquid three times a day
- Boil 1 cup of water and pour into a glass
- Wait some minutes until water is cool slightly
- Add the juice of one lime, one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, two teaspoons of honey and mix well
- Sip this mixture gradually while they are still warm
- Repeat the steps above several times per day
Throat soreness associated with swollen tonsils may be soothed easily by sage. Sage has high sulfur content, thereby enabling lymph nodes of your throat to combat and damage the infections responsible for tonsils.
This herb is useful in combating against the fungal and bacterial infections responsible for resulting in tonsils. Also, sage has astringent and analgesic properties, therefore helping to lessen pain, sooth throat tissues’ irritation and break fever accompanied by tonsils. A herbal tea using sage leaves may provide relief from scratchy feeling. Moreover, sage may be consumed internally in the form of capsules, tonics, infusion, and so on.
The following methods may help you use sage as an effective home remedy for swollen tonsils pain with white patches:
Method 1: Sage And Soapwort
- Heat 250 ml of water until it is boiled
- Add one tablespoon of sage and a ½ tablespoon of soapwort to boiled water
- Let it steeps for 10 minutes
- Sieve the liquid and add one tablespoon of honey to sweeten
- Drink it as warm as you can stand
- Make a solution comprises one tablespoon of chopped sage and 2 cups of warm water
- Gargle or drink this solution many times per day
Some properties of garlic are good for swollen tonsils with white patches such as anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antibacterial. All bacteria may be combated by garlic. This ancient herbal medicine may strengthen your immune system. Also, the sulfur in garlic aids in decreasing inflammation. People who use garlic at the beginning of getting illness show a faster recovery time than those who do not.
The best way to take advantage of this ingredient is by eating it fresh and raw. To make it become an effective home remedy for swollen tonsils pain with white patches, take one of the methods below:
Method 1: Garlic, Turnip, And Pineapple
- Chop one ripe radish, cut three slices of pineapple and peel two cloves of garlic
- Add all of them to a blender and blend until you get a homogenous liquid
- Drink this beverage immediately
Method 2: Honey And Garlic
- Peel and chop four cloves of garlic finely
- Mix them with one tablespoon of honey and lukewarm water
- Intake this mixture 3-4 times per day
19. Bee Propolis
Bee propolis may be used to fight bacteria, encourage the immune system and eliminate bacteria, fungi, and viruses. The appropriate dose of bee propolis for swollen tonsils pain is taking 15 drops of bee propolis per day.
20. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne may be used as an effective home remedy for swollen tonsils pain because it is an active antiseptic agent. Because it is highly reliable, you need to use a minimal amount of it, as a treatment for swollen tonsils.
To make use of it, create a paste includes a pinch of cayenne pepper and a spoonful of honey and lick the mixture slowly until you terminate it.
21. Borage And Honey
Borage contains many kinds of fatty acid, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidants characteristics. These properties may encourage the immune system. On the other hand, raw honey is an age-old effective remedy for sore throat issues. It is not only rich in iron, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, but it is also an excellent antibacterial agent. Consuming honey will coat your throat in a way that soothes your irritating throat. When your tonsils get inflammation, get the home remedy for swollen tonsils pain with white patches by doing the following steps:
- Boil a liter of water
- Add 100 grams of borage to it
- Cook until the amount of water remaining is equal to 1/3 of the initial amount
- Sieve the remaining liquid and add honey to it
Drink this beverage immediately
22. Chamomile Tea
Swollen tonsils patients may get many benefits from chamomile tea because chamomile is considered as an immunity booster and relaxant. It may alleviate throat pain as well as headache accompanied by tonsils. Furthermore, it breaks the fever caused by the release of toxins due to infections. As a result, it is strongly recommended as one of home remedies for swollen tonsils
Chamomile may even be used to decrease the size of tonsils and shrink them.
Take the following steps to get an effective home remedy for tonsillitis:
- Brew some chamomile for five to seven minutes
- Strain it and add honey, lemon to it
- Mix well and drink it warm
Swelling and pain due to tonsillitis may be soothed when you used fig as a home remedy. This herb has healing property, which brings down the inflammation and pain because of tonsils. As a result, it relieves pain and decreases the redness and soreness of the affected tonsils. There are two methods to make use of figs:
Method 1: Fig And Water
- Boil some fresh and ripe figs in a cup of water
- Wait until they become soft and nice
- Take figs from the water and mince it to create a fine paste
- Macerate a cotton swab in figs and apply to the external of your throat
- Wait until the paste is dry and rinse by warm water
- Do these steps above once per day
Method 2: Fig And Honey
- Boil some figs in a cup of water for 20 minutes
- Take figs out of water and grind them thoroughly
- Add a teaspoon of honey to it and consume the mixture
- Repeat the process above from 2 to 3 times a day
Echinacea can help clear toxins from your blood and encourage the immune system. Also, it boosts the immune system naturally. According to some studies, Echinacea helps decrease the frequency of flu and colds. That is the reason why Echinacea is one of the effective home remedies for swollen tonsils. The appropriate dose of echinacea for tonsillitis is shown below:
- Dose 1: Use 300 mg of Echinacea per day, divided into three times a day.
- Dose 2: Add some drops of Echinacea extract to soup or beverage and consume it.
- Dose 3: Drink 8-9 ml juice of Echinacea per day for eight weeks
Caution: Pregnant women and people using immunosuppressive products should avoid using Echinacea.
25. Cat’s Claw
Cat’s claw has antiseptic and immune-stimulant, anti-inflammatory and antioxidants properties. Thus, it may eliminate many kinds of bacteria and germ. What you need to do to use cat’s claw as an effective home remedy for swollen tonsils pain with white patches, do the following steps:
- Take bark and root of cat’s claw
- Brew tea with it
- Drink this tea from 2-3 times per day
You can also consume cat’s claw capsules according to instruction
This herb may eliminate infection so that it may be used up as an effective home remedy for swollen tonsils pain. All you need to do is brewing oregano leaves in hot water in 15-20 minutes and then drinking the liquid.
27. Slippery Elm
The mucilage in slippery elm may reduce soreness, swelling, and inflammation caused by tonsillitis. This substance helps ease soreness, pain, and inflammation, thereby curing swollen tonsils effectively. Furthermore, it has emollient, demulcent, expectorant, nutritive, and diuretic properties. The following are methods to soothe your throat using slippery elm:
- Mix one teaspoon of the inner bark of slippery elm to a cup of lukewarm water
- Let it steep for 5 minutes
- Discard the slippery elm bark
- Drink this tea gradually while it still warm
- The tea will be effective for you when being used twice daily
- Make a combination include three teaspoons of slippery elm bark powder, one teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder, two teaspoons of honey and four teaspoons of warm water
- Eat one teaspoon of this mixture for 2 to 3 days
- Mix two teaspoons of raw honey with a ¼ cup of lukewarm water or licorice root tea
- Add a ½ teaspoon of slippery elm powder
- Mix all the ingredients well
28. Licorice Root Tea
Licorice roots have been used for centuries to reduce swelling and sore throat. It has a healing property and inflammation-reducing ability. Besides, it may make phlegm and mucus stay away from your esophagus. It also helps you reduce the cough. The steps below will show you how to make a home remedy for swollen tonsils pain from licorice root:
- Boil 2 cups of water and add some licorice root to it
- Let it steep in 15 minutes
- Drink this tea while it is still warm
- Do this remedy twice per day
Pineapple is an anti-inflammatory and cleansing agent for your mouth. It contains bromelain which is believed to be an effective home remedy for throat swelling. All you need to do is eating fresh pineapple and let its juice stay in your mouth.
Agrimony will take mucus from lungs and throat away with the direction below:
- Boil a cup of water and add one teaspoon of dried agrimony to it
- Let it steep as long as you can to get more tannin from agrimony
- Sip while it is still warm
Mullein has an infection-killing property and lymph node resisting power. It has been used since ancient times as one of the excellent home remedies for swollen tonsils. This herb is highly effective in decreasing throat pain accompanied by tonsils. Besides, thanks to the rich sulfur content, it may enhance the capability of fighting infection of lymph nodes and preventing them from flaring up into tonsils.
Using mullein also stimulates the loosening up process of mucous from your throat, thus enabling it to be eradicated from the body in the form of phlegm.
You can make use of mullein in the form of oil or flowers. Mullein flowers can be consumed in the form of tonics, extract, herbal tea, tincture, etc. to supply relief from tonsils.
You can use mullein in many ways to treat swollen tonsils pain:
Method 1: Mullein Oil
This oil may reduce pain and swelling caused by swollen tonsils when you rub it external of your throat every day
Method 2: Mullein Tea
- Boil five cups of water
- Add six dried mullein leaves and a few mullein flowers to boiling water
- Let it steep for five minutes
- Discard the plants and taste with honey
- Drink this tea every day
32. Pomegranate Tea
Pomegranate has antioxidant property, which helps reconstruct the immune system and reduce sore throat caused by swollen tonsils. Do the instructions below to get pomegranate tea for swollen tonsils pain:
- Boil 3-4 cups of water
- Add pomegranate rinds to it
- Simmer them in 15 minutes
- Drink this liquid twice per day while it is still warm
This healing herb is used extensively for bruises, cuts, wounds, burns, and abrasions. A lot of studies have proved that gargling with the solution made from leaves of comfrey may treat most problems related to tonsils. But, remember that comfrey ought not to be consumed, but the decoction may be made by boiling the leaves and allowing it to steep for a while before gargling. Do this twice per day for best results.
Alternatively, you can also apply another method mentioned below:
- Combine one teaspoon of comfrey root with a glass of water
- Add honey to taste
- Gargle this solution every day
When the culprit of your swollen tonsils is sore throat with pus and inflammation, you can use clove for a swollen tonsil relief. Cloves have been used for many centuries, particularly in Traditional Chinese medicine.
This herb has eugenol acting as a pain killer. With pain-killing effects, it numbs the throat, thereby reducing the pain. Furthermore, it has antibacterial properties that help to kill bacteria causing sore throat. Also, the anti-inflammatory properties of cloves are good for relieving the inflammation presenting in your throat.
There are several ways of using cloves for relieving swollen tonsils. The simplest way is to gargle with the mixture of a few drops of clove oil and a litter of water.
Also, you can apply other methods mentioned below:
Method 1: Cloves Tea
- Boil a cup of water
- Add two cloves into it, let it steep for five minutes
- Turn off the flame and allow it to steep for another few minutes
- After adding a teaspoon of raw honey, sip the solution slowly
- Redo this routine twice per day for good results
Method 2: Cloves And Horseradish
Horseradish may combat the bacteria causing throat as well as upper respiratory infections. You can make use of the method below to reduce inflammation and pain associated with swollen tonsils:
- Add one teaspoon each of ground cloves and honey with one tablespoon of ground cloves
- After stirring well, have it slowly
- Repeat this routine once per day
Method 3: Cloves And Licorice Root
Licorice root has antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties that may deal with germs and alleviate the swelling. The antioxidants in cinnamon may provide you with relief from pain and inflammation.
What you need to do is:
- Mix two tablespoons of whole cloves with a ½ cup of cinnamon chips, one cup each of chamomile flowers and chopped dry licorice root.
- Store the combination in an airtight container
- Keep the container away from heat and direct light
- Mix three tablespoons of the prepared mixture with two cups of the cold water
- Put them in a pan and boil up
- Allow it to simmer for about 10 minutes for straining
- Enjoy the tea
- Repeat it regularly to get the best results
Method 4: Cloves And Parsley
This method gives you instant relief from discomforts of a sore throat – a symptom associated with swollen tonsils.
- Chop a few parsley leaves to put in a pan
- Add several cloves, goldenseal, and powdered myrrh
- Add water and boil the mixture up
- Let it simmer for five minutes before removing off from the flame
- Allow it to steep for several minutes and have it slowly
- Repeat when necessary
You can also add honey for taste.
Method 5: Cloves And Black Pepper
Similar to cloves, black pepper has numbing properties along with anti-inflammatory properties. Thus, this helps decrease sore throat and swollen tonsils as a result.
- Blend a ½ teaspoon of black pepper with 2-3 cloves
- Mix the powder with one tablespoon of honey
- Lick that mixture slowly
- Repeat this routine regularly
Method 6: Cloves And Ginger
Ginger has powerful anti-inflammatory properties, giving relief from inflammation.
- Mix equal amounts of clove powder with ginger powder
- Put it into an airtight container
- Mix one teaspoon of that mixture with two tablespoons of olive oil
- Have it slowly
- Repeat this routine twice per day
As an alternative, you can also add one tablespoon of the mixture into warm water, gargle the solution for several minutes.
Instead of using ginger, you can also mix cloves with milk and cinnamon for similar results.
Note: Avoid using clove oil instead of whole cloves because the oil form is toxic and may cause stomach upset.
To sum up, these home remedies for swollen tonsils pain with white patches are claimed to be able to apply to almost everyone. Take some of them to reduce swelling inside your tonsils effectively.
However, all content provided is for informational & educational purposes. We recommend you consult a healthcare professional to determine which method is appropriate for you and to avoid the side effects when applying these methods. In addition, asking for healthcare professional’s advice may help you know that you have to take medicine or not.
If you have any contribution to our article “Top 64 Effective Home Remedies For Swollen Tonsils Pain With White Patches”, do not hesitate to put words below this post. We will reply as soon as we can.