Tonsils are fragments of the human body. The major function of this body part is trapping infectious particles inhaled inside our bodies and transmitting them to lymphatic system in order to expel it from the body via immune system. You might suffer from swollen tonsils because of viral and bacterial infections such as strep throat, cold, herpes, measles, etc. As usual, a doctor’s visit will be recommended to administer the bacterial infection of the condition.
If you or your family members are suffering from swollen tonsils, you may want to know how to get rid of it once and for all. Here we from will uncover home remedies for swollen tonsils pain with white patches, but initially, we will guide you through basic information about this disease. Check out now!
What Are Swollen Tonsils?
Swollen tonsils, also known as tonsillitis in medical terms, are a phenomenon that cause swelling in 2 lymph nodes in 2 sides inside your neck. Every person can get this disease, but it is special common in childhood.
This condition is contagious and could be caused by a number of common viruses as well as bacteria, like Streptococcal bacteria, which results in strep throat. If left untreated, swollen tonsils caused by strep throat might result in serious complications. Oftentimes, the symptoms of swollen tonsils will disappear within 7-10 days  .
What Are Causes Of Swollen Tonsils?
- Strep throat
- Adenoids virus
- Herpes simplex virus
- Epstein-Bar Virus
- Common cold
Thos children who have close contact with others at play or school, exposing them to different viruses and bacteria. It makes them vulnerable to the germs which trigger swollen tonsils.
What Are Symptoms Of Swollen Tonsils?
Everybody has these symptoms below are patients of swollen tonsils pain with white patches:
- Your tonsils are red and painful
- Sore throat
- Painful head
- Have difficulty swallowing and breathing by mouth
- Aching ears
- Glands in the neck and jaw area are swelling
- High fever
- Bad breath
- Loss of voice and appetite
- General malaise
Besides these signs above, you can see these symptoms above on a child getting swollen tonsils pain with white patches:
- Vomit and nausea
- Pain abdominally
When To See A Doctor?
You had better make an appointment with a doctor if you feel some abnormal symptoms below:
- You have high fever ( 38.3 degree Celcius or higher)
- Your tonsils are covered by white or yellow
- Pain severely
- Only one side of throat is aching
- Headache abdominally
- Pain and difficult to swallow severely
- You have to breath by your mouth many times
- Your voice is very nasal or muffled –sounding
- Your mouth and tongue are dry
- Urinate less than normal
- In spite of treating, there are 7 times in 1 year you have tonsillitis
After reading the information above, you know some basic things about swollen tonsils pain with white patches. Now it’s time to find out home remedy for this problem. Take a look at “Top 81 Effective Home Remedies For Swollen Tonsils Pain With White Patches” from TrueRemedies.com!
84 Effective Home Remedies For Swollen Tonsils Pain With White Patches
1. Gargle With Salt Water
Salt has some properties which are good for treating swollen tonsil, such as anti-inflammatory, anti bacteria, antifungal, antivirus. Gargling sets a whirlpool inside the throat and removes any phlegm sticking to crevices inside your throat and mouth. when the tonsils are enlarged, phlegm and pus might get stuck between tonsils and pillars and might not come out when you spit as usual. By gargling, it will flush the area, loosen the bit lingering there and therefore eliminate the same.
Using salt to gargle will promote osmosis. It is beneficial in 2 ways. First, it helps eliminate water from any microbe or bacteria presenting in the tonsil, causes it to shrink and then die. Second, this ingredient can aid in removing inflammation and edema by sucking in the fluid / water from swollen tissues.
Also, salt can prevent infection, restore the pH of throat, thereby increasing blood circulation and eliminate mucosal irritation and acidity. Increased blood circulation can help in supplying infection fighting cells much faster to the affected site. As a result, it helps accelerate the healing process faster.
To get salt water for relieving swollen tonsils and white patches pain, do the following steps:
- In each 250 ml of warm water, add 5 grams of salt
- Gargle this solution from 3 to 4 times a day
After doing 2 steps above a few days, fluids from the mucosa of the throat will run away.
Note: Excess concentration of salt in water may dry up your throat’s mucosa and worsen the infection. Drying is bad. Thus, you should use just proper amounts of salt.
2. Take Enough Rest And Appropriate Position
Taking enough rest when you get a disease is very important. It boosts healing process better. Patients with swollen tonsils should sleep at least from 7 to 9 hours at night. Also, give yourself a break from your usual exercise routine or gym for several days. Do what you could to alleviate stress. In fact, any unwanted stress will take away the limited energy of your body. Besides, you should apply one of these positions above to avoid apnea when sleeping:
Method 1: Lie on the right side
- Put a pillow below your head and lay on it
- Let your face be on the upper right of the pillow and create with the pillow a 30-dgree angle
- To be more comfortable, put a pillow under the right chest and abdomen
Method 2: Lie on the left side
- Place a pillow under your had and lay on it
- Turn your face to the left, be sure that the angle you create between your face and the pillow is 30 degree
- For more comfort, put a pillow under the left chest and abdomen
3. Home Remedies For Swollen Tonsils – Baking Soda
Baking soda has a long history of being used around home for many purposes, from cleaning to basic first aid. Also, it is considered as one of effective home remedies for swollen tonsils and white patches pain thanks to anti-inflammatory, antiviral and anti-bacterial properties. The methods below will show you how to use it for curing swollen tonsils:
Method 1: Home remedies for swollen tonsils using just baking soda
- Combine 1 teaspoon of baking soda with ½ cup of tepid water
- Swish this solution once a day
Method 2: Baking soda and salt
- Make a solution consists of 1/8 teaspoons of salt, ¼ teaspoons of baking soda and a cup of lukewarm water
- Gargle with this solution every 3 hours
Method 2: Baking soda and lemon
- Squeeze a lemon a extract its juice
- Add 1 tablespoon of baking soda to it
- Stir well and rinse your mouth with this solution 5 times a day
The antiseptic and antiviral properties of lemon are excellent for treating swollen tonsils pain. Also, it is an excellent source of vitamin C that boosts the immunity and cures infections because of its anti-microbial effects . Take one of these methods below:
Method 1: Water, salt and lemon
- Make a mixture includes juice from half of a lemon, 1 tablespoon of salt and1/4 cup of water
- Gargle this mixture everyday
It’s better to use lukewarm water to make this mixture
Method 2: Lemon, salt and honey
Honey is a natural antibiotic that helps your body fight off germs invading your system.
- Create a solution made from a pinch of salt, lemon juice and a glass of lukewarm water
- Drink this solution twice a day for a few days
Method 3: Lemon, honey and thyme
Thyme is a valuable herb known as one of the best natural remedies in nature for tonsillitis. Its extract helps in eradicating fever – one of weakening and troublesome symptoms of tonsillitis. Many parts of this herb are medically used in treating varied illnesses. With its powerful antibiotic property, thyme can destroy harmful microorganisms which can cause your tonsils to get inflamed. Also, thyme helps reduce pain, thereby giving the suffering much essential relief.
- Boil 1 cup of water and add 1 tablespoon of dried thyme to it
- Wait for 5 minutes
- Let them steep for 5 more minutes
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey and juice of half of a lemon to it
- Stir well and drink while they are still warm
Method 4: Lemon Juice And Water
- Germ growth will be hidden when your gargle this concoction:
- Mix lemon juice with water
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey and ginger to it
- Swish this solution everyday
- Spit a slice of lemon with a little bit of salt and pepper
- Suck on this slice of lemon
- Do this process from twice to 3 times per day until you feel better
5. Orange Juice And Water
Orange juice is rich in vitamin C, which is good for enhancing the immune system to fight tonsils infection . To make use of it as one of home remedies for swollen tonsils, take the following steps:
- Squeeze to extract juice from orange
- Mix lukewarm water with orange juice with the ratio of 1:3
- Gargle this concoction everyday
6. Carrot, Beetroot And Cucumber Juice
Beet is a rich source of iron, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sulphur, iodine, manganese and copper. These kinds of mineral are good for fighting toxic factors cause tonsillitis. Carrot is rich in vitamin A and has anti-toxicant property. It is useful for people suffering from tonsillitis caused by constipation. Cucumber has laxative property. The combination of cucumber, beetroot and carrot can create an effective home remedy for swollen tonsils and white patches pain. Take the following steps:
- Wash and peel beetroot, carrot and cucumber carefully
- Put them into a blender, add water to it and grind it
- Take its juice and consume daily
You can also drink carrot juice, beetroot and cucumber separately
7. Home Remedies For Swollen Tonsils – Drink Plenty Of Fluids
Fluids can keep your throat be moist and hydrated. The painful, itchy and irritating feelings associated with swollen tonsils can be soothed easily by drinking fluids. By fluids, I mean that you should consume these kinds of liquid: fruit and vegetable juice, fresh water, warm herbal tea. To avoid making your swollen tonsils be more serious, stay away from caffeinated drinks, carbonated drinks, beer, wine, milk.
8. Ice Cream Or Popsicles
Eating ice cream or popsicles can ease the irritation, inflammation and pain caused by swollen tonsils. This sounds strange but it does work for some people, despite the evidence still needs to be proven officially. You can still give it a try, but little by little. The most effective dose of ice cream or popsicles for swollen tonsils pain with white patches is from 1 to 2 ice creams every day.
9. Hydrogene Peroxide
Like salt water solution, hydrogen peroxide is antiseptic, antibacterial and safe for swollen tonsils patients. The most effective way to use hydrogen peroxide for swollen tonsils is to swish the mixture made from 1 cup each of warm water and hydrogen peroxide and then spit it out.
10. Home Remedies For Swollen Tonsils – Warm Compress
The pain and infection triggered by swollen tonsils can be eliminated when you do the following steps:
- Line a towel with salt and wash it by hot water
- Compress to the outside of your neck
11. Fenugreek Seeds
Antibacterial property makes fenugreek seeds an effective home remedy for swollen tonsils pain with white patches. To use up it, do these steps below:
- Mix from 2-3 cups of water with 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds
- Let it simmer for half of an hour
- Sieve and let it cool
- Gargle this solution for at least half of a minute and then spit out
- Do these steps above twice daily
To use vodka as an effective home remedy for swollen tonsils pain with white patches, take the following steps:
- Make a solution consist of 3 teaspoons of vodka and half of a cup of water.
- Gargle this solution and then swallow it
- If you are a teetotaler, eat a boiled egg or yogurt after drinking the solution above to cover your stomach.
13. Home Remedies For Swollen Tonsils – Basil
This is a very popular ingredient in every kitchen. Thanks to its soothing and healing properties, basil is considered as one of the effective home remedies for swollen tonsils with white patches. Used in Indian for various reasons, holy herb is used by Indians in their daily worship and also to purify the environment. Oftentimes, the most common use of basil is for home remedies, particularly to improve immunity and treating infectious diseases such as sore throat, cold and tonsillitis. Basil with its amazing anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties can help accelerate the treating process of swollen tonsils. The steps below will show you how to utilize it for swollen tonsil removal:
- Wash ten basil leaves carefully
- Boil them in 1 glass of water
- Crush 4 peppercorns and add it to the liquid above
- Continue boiling until ½ cups of liquid remain in the pot
- Strain and plus a little bit of sugar
- Drink this liquid while hot 3 times per day
- Mince some basil leaves
- Boil it in water for 10 minutes
- Strain the liquid and add honey to taste
- Drink this solution from 2 to 3 times per day
Method 3: combination of pepper, ginger and basil leaves
- Ingredients: 1 spoon of pepper, ½ tablespoons of ginger and 1 tablespoon of basil leaves
- Crush pepper, chop ginger and basil leaves carefully
- Mix them together
- Consume this mixture 3 times a day
- This method is appropriate for bleeding disorder patients ,
- If you are going to have a surgery, don’t use this mixture. Basils act as a blood-clotting preventer
- Don’t use this mixture when you are using some kinds of medicine such as: ketoconazole, fexofenadine, and Lovastatin.
Cinnamon contains many properties good for swollen tonsils patients, such as anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, etc. Cinnamon can open your airway and reduce the amount of phlegm production. To make use of cinnamon for swollen tonsils pain relief, choose one of the following methods below
Method 1: Cinnamon and honey
- Mix 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder, 1 glass of warm water and 2 teaspoons of honey together
- Stir well and sip this solution when it is still warm
- Drink this mixture from twice to three times a day for 1 week
Method 2: Cinnamon and lemon
- Create a solution by mixing these ingredients: 1 teaspoon each of lemon juice, cinnamon powder and apple cider vinegar
- Mix these ingredients with hot water
- Drink this liquid to cure tonsillitis
Method 3: Cinnamon and milk
- Mix cinnamon powder and a cup of milk
- Drink this mixture every day
Warning: This method is not appropriate for 1-year-old children or younger because of botulism bacteria
Method 4: Cinnamon and water
Make a decoction containing of ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder and a cup of lukewarm water and gargle with it.
15. Home Remedies For Swollen Tonsils – Babul
Babul, also known as Acacia Nilotica, is a rich source of tannin acid and gallic acid, which are good for relieving pain and swelling. These steps below will help you utilize babul for swollen tonsils:
- Combine 3 teaspoons of babul bark with 1 glass of water
- Let it simmer for at least 15 minutes
- Strain and drink the liquid while it is hot
16. Green Tea
Green tea leaves have a number of phytochemicals, a number of which are named flavonoids displaying antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial properties. Many studies have officially shown that green tea to be beneficial for fighting off cardiovascular disease while repairing the damaged as well as inflamed tissue, despite flavonoids are also efficient in killing bacteria. The article published in “Molecular Nutrition and Food Research” in 2007 showed that the extract of green tea exerted strong antimicrobial property of the tea. It means that drinking green tea can help decrease tonsils’ swelling once the swelling is a result of infections.
Therefore, soreness and swelling inside your tonsils can be eased when you do the following steps:
- Mix 1 teaspoon of tea leave and a cup of water together
- Boil it for 15 minutes
- Strain and let it cool
- Gargle this solution 3 times a day and once before going to bed
Turmeric has anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and antifungal properties, which has ability to relieve discomfort due to swollen tonsils. This herb-spice has been studied a lot all around the world. Now, it is beyond doubt that turmeric is considered one of the best natural anti-inflammatory agents. It also has immune boosting and microbial ingredient, so you can use it as an effective home remedy for swollen tonsils.
Method 1: Turmeric and honey
- Make a paste of 1 teaspoon of turmeric and 1 teaspoon of honey
- Consume this paste 3 times a day until you feel all nuisances caused by swollen tonsils disappear
Warning: This method is contra-indicating with some cases below:
- You are suffering from gall bladder problem
- You are attacked by some hormone-sensitive conditions such as breast cancer, uterine cancer, ovarian cancer, uterine fibroids and endometriosis
- You have diabetes
Method 2: Turmeric and water
- Make a concoction includes 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and a glass of warm water
- Gargle this liquid several times a day and once before going to bed
Method 3: Turmeric, black pepper and milk
- Heat a cup of milk until it is warm
- Add 1 teaspoon each of black pepper powder and turmeric powder
- Stir well and drink it 3 nights every day before going to sleep
Method 4: Turmeric and goat milk
- Boil a pinch of turmeric powder in a cup of goat milk
- Drink this liquid every day to cure swollen tonsils
18. Banafsha Flowers
Banafsha flower, also called wood violets or sweet violet, is a rich source of essential oil, which is good for swollen tonsils healing and curing. The following steps can make banafsha flower become an effective home remedy for swollen tonsils pain with white patches:
- Boil from 6 to 7 banafsha flowers in a cup of milk for 5 minutes
- Remove the banafsha flower s and add sugar to milk to taste
- Drink this milk once before sleeping
19. Apple Cider Vinegar
This is an anti-inflammatory agent in nature, which is appropriate for swollen tonsils. Apple cider vinegar also has anti-bacterial properties which fight off the infection-triggering bacteria. Besides, its acidity can reduce the pH level of the tissue, preventing the bacteria growth. Using raw ACV which has prebiotic inulin can increase white blood cells and T-cells amount while strengthen your own immunity. Moreover, the natural expectorant nature of it can loosen and thin the phlegm or mucus presenting in the throat. As a result, it helps swollen tonsil sufferers breathe and swallow easily. To make use of it, choose one of the following steps:
- Mix 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a cup of lukewarm water
- Gargle this solution every day to soothe swollen tonsils
- Rinse your mouth with water after that
- Repeat every day
- Do not forget to rinse the mouth after using ACV. If not, the acid build up could erode your tooth enamel.
- Also, do not brush your teeth instantly after drinking or gargling ACV because it might result in physical abrasion that damages your teeth’s structure. Wait for at least 30 minutes prior to brushing.
20. Beet Root And Vinegar
This is the Russian folk medicine for curing tonsillitis as well as pharyngitis (also known as inflamed throat). Beet root possesses high level of calcium, iron, phosphorus, potassium, sulphur, iodine, copper and manganese. Besides, this veggie is high in folic acid, which can revive the body resistance and make it strong to fight toxicity. Beet root can fight toxic agents, so its juice is strongly recommended as one of home remedies for swollen tonsils. Also, beet is a food high in fiber and recommended for those with tonsillitis caused by constipation.
Take the following process to get an effective home remedy for swollen tonsils pain with white patches by using beet root and vinegar:
- Peek and wash beet root carefully
- Chop it into small pieces
- Mix 1 cup of beet root with 1 teaspoon of vinegar
- Let them stand in 20 minutes
- Discard the leftover residue
- Gargle this decoction every two to three hours a day
Caution: This method is not appropriate for:
- People have kidney stone problem
- Surplus of iron and copper
- People used to have diabetes in the past
- Osteoporosis patients
- People who are consuming insulin or diuretic
21. Home Remedies For Swollen Tonsils – Onion
Onion is a popular ingredient in every kitchen and can be used to treat different diseases, including swollen tonsils . Packed with anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, onions could work wonders against swollen tonsils.
By following the method below, you can treat swollen tonsils in all natural ways. But remember that even though the symptoms of swollen tonsils might begin disappearing in about 3-4 days of using onions, you still need to use antibiotic treatment for no less than 8-10 days to permanently cure swollen tonsils.
- Peel and wash an onion thoroughly
- Ground and cover it in a clot bag
- Squeeze to extract its juice
- Mix onion juice with a glass of lukewarm water
- Gargle this solution every day
- Make a paste from ground onion and heat it in a pan
- Make a bandage and apply them to the external of throat
Ginger is a strong anti-inflammatory and antibiotic. It is good for curing a lot of health problems, including swollen tonsils. It is even beneficial for curing throat infections, particularly when you combine it with basil leaves and black pepper.
Take the following steps:
- Boil some slices of ginger in 1 cup of water for 5 minutes
- You can add a little bit of honey to sweeten
- Drink this tea 3 times a day
- Take 10 gm of ginger, 8-10 basil leaves, and 4-5 black pepper corns
- Crush them first
- Boil a glass of water in a pan, put all ingredients into
- Boil it up till it reduce half, then you get decoction
- Strain and sip it hot like a tea
- Repeat this method for 2-3 days or until you get your desired results
23. Black Tea
Black tea has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antiviral qualities. These properties help relieve soreness and swelling. Also, black tea leaves has beneficial flavonoids and tannins. Tannins may have a drying effect as they decrease mucus production, and this could be useful in decreasing the phlegm accumulating in the back of your throat because of tonsillitis. In fact, dissimilar to green tea, commercially produced black tea is fermented, significantly reducing the antimicrobial property of the phytochemicals of black tea leaves, in accordance with the 2007 article published in “Molecular Nutrition and Food Research”.
Black tea is just used up with the following steps:
- Brew some black tea for
- Add 2 teaspoons of honey to it
- Drink 3 cups of this tea per day
- You should gargle with black tea twice per day.
If there are not any black tea bags, you can make use of white tea. White tea is made from the tea leaves picked before maturity and are not fermented, thereby increasing the phytochemicals’ strength. Nevertheless, boiling water might damage a few sensitive phytochemicals; thus, it is recommended steeping tea in the warm water instead.
24. Home Remedies For Swollen Tonsils – Mustard Powder
Mustard powder has extremely healing property. It can be used as a topical or ingestible thing. You can use mustard powder to relieve swollen tonsils pain by slowly gargling the mixture of mustard powder added into a cup of lukewarm water. Do this routine at least twice per day to get instant relief from swollen tonsils.
Your immune system will be boosted significantly if you consume lime. Moreover, anti-oxidant property of lime can aid in fighting infections. To utilize it for swollen tonsils, take the instructions below:
- Create a concoction consists of juice of a lime, 1 cup of hot water, 4 teaspoons of honey and ¼ teaspoons of salt
- Take this liquid 3 times a day
- Boil 1 cup of water and pour into a glass
- Wait some minutes until water is cool slightly
- Add juice of 1 lime, 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, 2 teaspoons of honey and mix well
- Sip this mixture gradually while they are still warm
- Repeat the steps above several times per day
Throat soreness associated with swollen tonsils can be soothed easily by sage. Sage has high sulfur content, thereby enabling lymph nodes of your throat to combat and damage the infections responsible for tonsils.
This herb is useful in combating against the fungal and bacterial infections responsible for resulting in tonsils. Also, sage has astringent and analgesic properties, therefore helping to lessen pain, sooth throat tissues’ irritation and break fever accompanied by tonsils. A herbal tea using sage leaves can provide a relief from scratchy feeling. Also, sage can be consumed internally in the form of capsules, tonics, infusion, and so on.
The following methods can help you use sage as an effective home remedy for swollen tonsils pain with white patches:
Method 1: sage and soapwort
- Heat 250 ml of water until it is boiled
- Add 1 tablespoon of sage and ½ tablespoon of soapwort to boiled water
- Let it steeps for 10 minutes
- Sieve the liquid and add 1 tablespoon of honey to sweeten
- Drink it as warm as you can stand
- Make a solution comprises one tablespoon of chopped sage and 2 cups of warm water
- Gargle or drink this solution many times per day
27. Home Remedies For Swollen Tonsils – Milk And Clay
This mixture will be good for swollen tonsils patients if you use it as an external mask for your throat. Do the following steps to get this mask:
- Heat ¼ cups of milk and add 3 tablespoons of clay
- Stir well until they become a smooth paste
- Dip a cloth in this mixture and apply it to the neck while it is warm
- Cover the cloth by a towel or a wool blanket to make it stay warm longer
- When the mark is cool down, remove it
- Do this process every night before going to bed
28. A Multivitamin Smoothie For Swollen Tonsils
Your throat will be soothed when you intake this mixture. Do the instructions below:
- Squeeze to take ½ liter of orange juice
- Mince 4 guava fruits, 4 cloves of garlic, 1 slice of onion
- Add all of the ingredients above to a blender and blend until they are smooth
- Add tablespoons of honey to this liquid
- Stir well and drink it immediately
Some properties of garlic are good for swollen tonsils with white patches such as anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antibacterial . All bacteria can be combated by garlic. This ancient herbal medicine can strengthen your immune system. Garlic has a compound named diallyl sulfide which is 100 times more efficient than a number of popular antibiotics in combating bacteria as well as other infection-causing substances. Also, the sulfur in garlic aids in decreasing inflammation. People who use garlic at the beginning of getting illness show a faster recovery time than those who do not.
The best way to take advantage of this ingredient is by eating it fresh and raw. To make it become an effective home remedy for swollen tonsils pain with white patches, take one of the methods below:
Method 1: Garlic, turnip and pineapple
- Chop 1 ripe radish, cut 3 slice of pineapple and peel 2 cloves of garlic
- Add all of them to a blender and blend until you get a homogenous liquid
- Drink this beverage immediately
Method 2: Honey and garlic
- Peel and chop 4 cloves of garlic finely
- Mix them with 1 tablespoon of honey and lukewarm water
- Intake this mixture 3-4 times per day
30. Cumin Seeds
The effective home remedy for swollen tonsils pain with white patches can be made with the following steps:
- Boil 80 grams of cumin seeds in a cup of water for 15 minutes
- Remove the cumin seeds and add 50ml of water to it
- Continue boiling them and add 1 tablespoon of Cognac of Whiskey
- Consume this mixture each half of an hour to be relieved
31. Home Remedies For Swollen Tonsils – Epsom Salt
Epsom salt can be used for calming and relaxing. By this method, what you need to is add a little bit of Epsom salt to a hot bath and soak the whole body in it.
Inflammation and added infection caused by swollen tonsils can be treated well by alum. These methods below will help you use alum as an effective home remedy for swollen tonsils pain with white patches:
- Make a solution consists of a glass of lukewarm water, a little bit of salt and a teaspoon of alum powder
- Gargle this mixture and then spit it out
Swallow ½ teaspoons of alum powder
33. Home Remedies For Swollen Tonsils – Bee Propolis
Bee propolis can be used to fight bacteria, encourage immune system and eliminate bacteria, fungi and viruses. The appropriate dose of bee propolis for swollen tonsils pain is taking 15 drops of bee propolis per day.
34. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne can be used as an effective home remedy for swollen tonsils pain because it is a strong antiseptic agent. Because it is highly strong, you just need to use a very small amount of it, as a treatment for swollen tonsils.
To make use of it, create a paste includes a pinch of cayenne pepper and a spoonful of honey and lick the mixture slowly until you terminate it.
35. Home Remedies For Swollen Tonsils – Borage And Honey
Borage contains many kinds of fatty acid, anti–inflammatory and antioxidants characteristics. These properties can encourage immune system . On the other hand, raw honey is an age-old effective remedy for sore throat issues . It is not only rich in iron, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, but it is also a good anti-bacterial agent. Consuming honey will coat your throat in a way that sooths your irritating throat. When your tonsils get inflammation, get the home remedy for swollen tonsils pain with white patches by doing the following steps:
- Boil 1 liter of water
- Add 100 grams of borage to it
- Cook until the amount of water remaining is equal to 1/3 of the initial amount
- Sieve the remaining liquid and add honey to it
Drink this beverage immediately
36. Chamomile Tea
Swollen tonsils patients can get many benefits from chamomile tea because chamomile is considered as an immunity booster and relaxant . It is able to alleviate throat pain as well as headache accompanied by tonsils. Furthermore, it breaks the fever caused by the release of toxins due to infections. As a result, this helps provide a soothing effect to the flare-ups of lymph nodes into tonsils.
Chamomile can even be used to decrease the size of tonsils and shrink them.
Take the following steps to get an effective home remedy for tonsillitis:
- Brew some chamomile for 5 to 7 minutes
- Strain it and add honey, lemon to it
- Mix well and drink it warm
Mint can make mucous run away from your lungs, throat, and tonsils. Take mint leaves tea as one of the effective home remedies for swollen tonsils pain with white patches with the following steps:
- Wash some mint leaves
- Let them steep in a cup of boiling water in a few minutes
- Drink this tea immediately
Swelling and pain due to tonsillitis can be soothed when you used fig as a home remedy. This herb has healing property, which brings down the inflammation and pain because of tonsils. As a result, it relieves pain and decreases the redness and soreness of the affected tonsils. There are 2 methods to make use of figs:
Method 1: Fig and water
- Boil some fresh and ripe figs in a cup of water
- Wait until they become soft and nice
- Take figs from water and mince it to create a fine paste
- Macerate a cotton swab in figs and apply to the external of your throat
- Wait until the paste is dry and rinse by warm water
- Do these steps above once per day
Method 2: Fig and honey
- Boil some figs in a cup of water for 20 minutes
- Take figs out of water and grind them thoroughly
- Add a teaspoon of honey to it and consume the mixture
- Repeat the process above from 2 to 3 times a day
39. Home Remedies For Swollen Tonsils – Echinacea
Echinacea can help clear toxins from your blood and encourage the immune system. Also, it boosts the immune system naturally. According to some studies, Echinacea is helpful in decreasing the frequency of flu and colds . The appropriate dose of echinacea for tonsillitis is shown below:
- Dose 1: use 300 mg of Echinacea per day, divided into 3 times a day.
- Dose 2: add some drops of Echinacea extract to soup or beverage and consume it.
- Dose 3: Drink 8-9ml juice of Echinacea per day for 8 weeks
Caution: Echinacea is contra-indicating with pregnant women and people using immunosuppressive products.
40. Cat’s Claw
Cat’s claw has antiseptic and immune-stimulant, anti-inflammatory and antioxidants properties. Thus, it can eliminate many kinds of bacteria and germ. What you need to do to use cat’s claw as an effective home remedy for swollen tonsils pain with white patches, do the following steps:
- Take bark and root of cat’s claw
- Brew tea with it
- Drink this tea from 2-3 times per day
You can also consume cat’s claw capsules according to instruction
This herb has the ability to eliminate infection, so that it can be used up as an effective home remedy for swollen tonsils pain. All you need to do is brewing oregano leaves in hot water in 15-20 minutes and then drinking the liquid.
42. Bitter Gourd
Bitter gourd is advisable to consume to relieve swollen tonsils pain. Also known as karela in medical terms, bitter gourd is not very delectable because of its taste, yet this vegetable has a lot of amazing qualities. This plant is used to deal with a number of diseases naturally. To reduce throat glands swelling, the paste of bitter gourd is rather effective. You can take the steps below to make use of it for removing swollen tonsils:
- Clean a bitter gourd using water
- Chop it into small pieces
- Grind them in a mixer to have a good paste
- Apply that paste over your neck sides and use a cotton cloth to cover it for some time
- Repeat this routine regularly because it has no side effect
43. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera, a plant that has been used in traditional medicines for thousands of years, has traditionally been used either externally for skin care or internally for digestive ailments. But, this plant is also good for providing a relief for painful swollen tonsils thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties, not to mention anti-bacterial and antioxidant properties.
What you need to do is diluting the aloe vera gel with water and gargle this decoction.
Or, you can also combine aloe vera gel with witch hazel, vegetable glycerin, lemon juice and tea tree oil to have a basic gargle. Take the steps below:
- Combine ¼ cup each of aloe vera gel and witch hazel, 1 teaspoon each of lemon juice and vegetable glycerin, and 10 drops tea tree oil
- Put the mixture into a sealable container, shake well
- Gargle the mixture (not swallow)
- Do this routine a few times per day to get good results
44. Home Remedies For Swollen Tonsils – Carom Seeds
Also known as ajwain, carom seeds can be helpful for treating tonsillitis. Vitamins, minerals and antioxidants property in carom seeds are efficient in improving your immune system against infections, accelerating the healing process of swollen tonsils. What you should do is shown below:
- Heat ¼ teaspoon of carom seed in a pan until they turn to brown
- Mix it with a pinch of turmeric powder and stir for 1 few seconds
- Add a cup of milk and mix finely
- Let it cool and drink it twice per day for 2 to 3 days
45. Slippery Elm
Mucilage in slippery elm can reduce soreness, swelling and inflammation caused by tonsillitis . This substance helps ease soreness, pain and inflammation, thereby curing swollen tonsils effectively. Furthermore, it has emollient, demulcent, expectorant, nutritive, and diuretic properties. The following are methods to soothe your throat using slippery elm:
- Mix 1 teaspoon of inner bark of slippery elm to a cup of lukewarm water
- Let it steep for 5 minutes
- Discard the slippery elm bark
- Drink this tea gradually while it still warm
- You will get the most efficiency of this tea when using it twice daily
- Make a combination include 3 teaspoons of slippery elm bark powder, 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder, 2 teaspoons of honey and 4 teaspoons of warm water
- Eat 1 teaspoon of this mixture for 2 to 3 days
- Mix 2 teaspoons of raw honey with ¼ cup of warm water or licorice root tea
- Add ½ teaspoon of slippery elm powder
- Mix all the ingredients well
46. Home Remedies For Swollen Tonsils – Licorice Root Tea
Licorice roots have been used for centuries to cure swelling and sore throat. It has healing property and inflammation-reducing ability. Besides, it can make phlegm and mucus stay away from your esophagus . The steps below will show you how to make a home remedy for swollen tonsils pain from licorice root:
- Boil 2 cups of water and add some licorice root to it
- Let it steep in 15 minutes
- Drink this tea while it is still warm
- Do this remedy twice per day
Pineapple is an extremely anti- inflammatory and cleanse agent for your mouth. That’s why it is believed to be an effective home remedy for swollen tonsils pain. All you need to do is eating raw pineapple and let its juice stay in your mouth.
Agrimony will take mucous from lungs and throat away with the direction below:
- Boil a cup of water and add a 1 teaspoon of dried agrimony to it
- Let it steep as longer as you can to get more tannin from agrimony
- Sip while it is still warm
Mullein has infection-killing property and lymph node resisting power. It has been used since ancient times as a good herbal remedy for swollen tonsils. This herb is highly effective in decreasing throat pain accompanied by tonsils. Besides, thanks to the rich sulfur content, it can enhance the capability of fighting infection of lymph nodes and preventing them from flaring up into tonsils.
Using mullein also stimulates the loosening up process of mucous from your throat, thus enabling it to be eradicated from the body in the form of phlegm.
You can make use of mullein in the form of oil or flowers. Mullein flowers could be consumed in the form of tonics, extract, herbal tea, tincture, etc… to supply a relief from tonsils.
You can use mullein in many ways to treat swollen tonsils pain:
Method 1: Home remedies for swollen tonsils using Mullein oil
This oil can reduce pain and swelling caused by swollen tonsils when you rub it external of your throat everyday
Method 2: Mullein tea
- Boil 5 cups of water
- Add 6 dried mullein leaves and a few mullein flowers to boiling water
- Let it steep for 5 minutes
- Discard the plants and taste by honey
- Drink this tea everyday
50. Water Hyacinth
This home remedy can alleviate swelling and inflammation triggered by swollen tonsils. Do the instructions below to make use of water hyacinth:
- Burn the twigs of water hyacinth until they become ash
- Add a little bit of mustard powder to it
- Apply this mixture to your tonsils
51. Combination Of 6 Herbs For Swollen Tonsils
A home remedy for swollen tonsils can be made from flaxseed, mustard, horseradish seeds, barley, jute seeds and radish seeds with the following steps:
- Mix ½ each of these ingredients above powder with 2-3 teaspoons of water
- Stir well until they become a paste
- Apply this paste to the outside of your throat
- Repeat this method twice per day
52. Home Remedies For Swollen Tonsils – Pomegranate Tea
Pomegranate has antioxidant property, which help reconstruct the immune system and cure infection caused by swollen tonsils. Do the instructions below to get pomegranate tea for swollen tonsils pain:
- Boil 3-4 cups of water
- Add pomegranate rinds to it
- Simmer them in 15 minutes
- Drink this liquid twice per day while it is still warm
This healing herb is used extensively for bruises, cuts, wounds, burns, and abrasions. A lot of studies have proved that gargling with the solution made from leaves of comfrey could cure most problems related to tonsils. But, remember that comfrey ought not to be consumed but the decoction can be made by boiling the leaves and allowing it to steep for a while before gargling. Do this twice per day for best results.
Alternatively, you can also apply another method mentioned below:
- Combine 1 teaspoon of comfrey root with a glass of water
- Add honey to taste
- Gargle this solution every day
When the culprit of your swollen tonsils is sore throat with pus and inflammation, you can use clove for a swollen tonsil relief. Cloves have been used for many centuries, particularly in the Traditional Chinese medicine.
This herb has eugenol acting as a pain killer. With pain-killing effects, it numbs the throat, thereby reducing the pain. Furthermore, it has anti-bacterial properties that help to kill bacteria causing sore throat. Also, the anti-inflammatory properties of cloves are good for relieving the inflammation presenting in your throat.
There are a number of ways using cloves for relieving swollen tonsils. The simplest way is to gargle with the mixture of a few drops of clove oil and a litter of water.
Also, you can apply other methods mentioned below:
Method 1: Cloves Tea
- Boil a cup of water
- Add 2 cloves into it, let it steep for 5 minutes
- Turn off the flame and allow it to steep for another few minutes
- After adding a teaspoon of raw honey, sip the solution slowly
- Redo this routine twice per day for good results
Method 2: Cloves and Horseradish
Horseradish can combat with the bacteria causing throat as well as upper respiratory infections. You can make use of the method below to reduce inflammation and pain associated with swollen tonsils:
- Add 1 teaspoon each of ground gloves and honey with 1 tablespoon of ground cloves
- After stirring well, have it slowly
- Repeat this routine once per day
Method 3: Cloves and licorice root
Licorice root has antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties that can deal with germs and alleviate the swelling. The antioxidants in cinnamon can provide you with a relief from pain and inflammation.
What you need to do is:
- Mix 2 tablespoons of whole cloves with ½ cup of cinnamon chips, 1 cup each of chamomile flowers and chopped dry licorice root.
- Store the combination in an airtight container
- Keep the container away from heat and direct light
- Mix 3 tablespoons of the prepared mixture with 2 ½ cups of the cold water
- Put them in a pan and boil up
- Allow it to simmer for about 10 minutes for straining
- Enjoy the tea
- Repeat it regularly to get the best results
Method 4: Cloves and Parsley
This method gives you an instant relief from discomforts of sore throat – a symptom associated with swollen tonsils.
- Chop a few parsley leaves to put in a pan
- Add several cloves, golden seal and powdered myrrh
- Add water and boil the mixture up
- Let it simmer for 5 minutes before removing off from the flame
- Allow it to steep for several minutes and have it slowly
- Repeat when necessary
You can also add honey for taste.
Method 5: Cloves and black pepper
Similar to cloves, black pepper has numbing properties along with anti-inflammatory properties. Thus, this helps decrease sore throat and swollen tonsils as a result.
- Blend ½ teaspoon of black pepper with 2-3 cloves
- Mix the powder with 1 tablespoon of honey
- Lick that mixture slowly
- Repeat this routine regularly
Method 6: Cloves and ginger
Ginger has powerful anti-inflammatory properties, giving a relief from inflammation.
- Mix equal amounts of clove powder with ginger powder
- Put it into an airtight container
- Mix 1 teaspoon of that mixture with 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Have it slowly
- Repeat this routine twice per day
As an alternative, you can also add 1 tablespoon of the mixture into warm water, gargle the solution for several minutes.
Instead of using ginger, you can also mix cloves with milk and cinnamon for similar results.
- Avoid using clove oil instead of whole cloves because the oil form is toxic and may cause stomach upset.
To sum up, these home remedies for swollen tonsils pain with white patches are claimed to be able to apply to almost every one. Take some of them to reduce swelling inside your tonsils effectively. If you have any contribution to our article “Top 84 Effective Home Remedies For Swollen Tonsils Pain With White Patches”, don’t hesitate to put words below this post. We will reply as soon as we can.
For further similar tips about health and beauty, visit our main Home Remedies page here.