Bacterial vaginosis, a common condition in women, is a disease that the balance of bacteria within the vagina gets disrupted.
Oftentimes, bacterial vaginosis does not cause vaginal itching or soreness, yet usually results in unusual vaginal discharge. In case you or any of your family members are suffering from this condition, then you may want to know home remedies for bacterial vaginosis. However, prior to grabbing such tips, you need to cover some basic information about this condition. Check out on TrueRemedies.com!
What Is Bacterial Vaginosis?
Bacterial vaginosis basically is a mild infection of the female vagina resulted from bacteria. In normal cases, there are a large amount of “good” bacteria and some of the “bad” one within the vagina. The good ones will help you control the developments of the bad ones. Those women suffering from bacterial vaginosis have an imbalance between these bacteria. Women in their reproductive years are prone to have this condition, yet it could impact women at any age.
Bacterial vaginosis is often a mild issue which might disappear on its own in just several days. However, it probably also causes more serious issues.
What Are Causes Of Bacterial Vaginosis?
In regard to what cases bacterial vaginosis, experts seem to not sure about this. At this time, it seems to be that a particular combination of multiple bacteria together causes bacterial vaginosis develop. Bacterial vaginosis features a decrease in the amount of normal hydrogen peroxide-producting lactobacilli within the vagina. At the same time, there is an enhancement in the concentration of other kinds of bacteria, particularly anaerobic bacteria, which grows in the oxygen absence. Consequently, the process of diagnosing and treating this condition are not as simple as identifying and eliminating a particular kind of bacteria. The reason why the bacteria combine to result in the imbalance is not known.
There are some specific things making bacterial vaginosis more likely to occur.
You can avoid suffering from this condition if you limit your sex partner number and avoid smoking or douching.
It is worth noting that bacterial vaginosis is much more common in those sexually active women. However, it may happen if you are not active in terms of sexual activities as well.
What Are Symptoms Of Bacterial Vaginosis?
In fact, a lot of women with bacterial vaginosis do not show any sign and symptom at all. When the symptoms happen, there are some of the most common which are:
- Grayish white and thin vaginal discharge
- An increased amount of vaginal discharge
- Unpleasant fishy or foul-smelling vaginal odor
- The odor and discharge of the vagina are usually more noticeable after having an sexual intercourse
- Pain upon having sexual intercourse or urinating
Bacterial vaginosis symptoms, if present, could happen at any time of the menstrual cycle, be it before, during or after the menstrual period. The vaginal discharge amount which is reckoned as normal may vary among women. Thus, any level of vaginal discharge which is not normal for a specific woman should be assessed.
What Are Risk Factors?
There are certain risk factors which have been identified that enhance the risks of developing bacterial vaginosis. They are:
- Recent antibiotic uses
- Cigarette smoking
- Vaginal douching
- New or multiple partners
Nonetheless, the role of sexual activity towards this condition development is not completely understood. Despite most experts believe that this condition does not happen in those women not having sexual intercourse, others think that this condition could still develop in women not having sexual intercourse.
Is It Contagious?
Despite bacterial vaginosis is not reckoned as a contagious issue, bacteria transmissibility among people is not understood completely. Because having new or multiple sexual partners may boost the risk of developing bacterial vaginosis, it means that the spread of bacteria among people might change the balance of good and bad bacteria within the vagina and potentially predispose to the growth of bacterial vaginosis. Nonetheless, as this condition also happens in celibate women, some other causative factors also play a certain role in its growth.
It is impossible to contract this condition from toilet seats, hot tubs, swimming pools or simply from touching those contaminated objects.
When To See A Doctor?
Bacterial vaginosis is rarely associated with serious symptoms, so the majority of women who want to try out home remedies for bacterial vaginosis could safely do it. Though in some cases, the symptoms warrant instant medical treatment.
You should see a doctor if:
- You are pregnant. Bacterial vaginosis is linked to miscarriage, preterm labor, and low birth weight, not to mention other pregnancy complications. Proper treatment could decrease the risk. Furthermore, some home treatments could be safe for pregnant women, such as essential oils.
- There are some other symptoms, such as intense pain, a burning sensation upon urinating, etc.
- Home remedies for bacterial vaginosis are failed. Some infections might mimic this condition. If not treated, these infections could worsen.
- You are not sure if the problem is bacterial vaginosis. For instance, women who have a history of recurring yeast infections had better consult a doctor prior to starting any home treatment. Some companies now promote OTC vaginal tests, which might be a possible option for women who are not sure of their symptoms’ causes.
Oftentimes, a doctor could diagnose bacterial vaginosis easily. The use of antibiotics can clear the infection and they rarely come with any significant side effects.
Home Remedies For Bacterial Vaginosis
Although about 1/3 of bacterial vaginosis cases might disappear on their own, it is still recommended using some methods to avoid developing any complications. This part of the article will show you some of the best home remedies for bacterial vaginosis.
This is among the simplest and most common home remedies for bacterial vaginosis. Thanks to beneficial bacterial called lactobacillus, yogurt can combat bad bacteria and maintain healthy balance of pH level in the vagina   .
What you need to do is:
- Take a cotton pad to dip into yogurt
- Apply it over your affected area
- After 30 minutes, rinse your vaginal area with plain water
- Do this method 3 times per day till you get good results
- Take a tampon to dip into yogurt
- Insert it into your vagina for 1-2 hours
- Repeat this twice per day
Also, do not forget consuming 2 cups of plain yogurt every day to restore the normal pH level balance of the vaginal and reduce the development of bad bacteria. It is the best to make use of plain yogurt, particularly if you apply it directly to the inside area of your down-there area. Plain unpasteurized yogurt has live lactobacillus acidophilus cultures. Even if you decide to eat yogurt, go for the plain unpasteurized type. Yet, yogurt with fresh fruit included is better than no yogurt.
Alternatively, not everybody likes yogurt. You could also take advantage of the right type of probiotics from acidophilus milk. It could be found in most grocery stores and it is very good for people with difficulty in digesting traditional store-bought milk products.
Or, you could also take a supplement as an alternative to yogurt. Actually, there are many types of supplements containing multiple vitamins, nutrients and minerals that could treat bacterial vaginosis or prevent its outbreak. Magnesium, calcium, iron, niacin, vitamin A and B6 are some of such beneficial things to help balance your own body.
2. Home Remedies For Bacterial Vaginosis – Tea Tree Oil
Due to natural antifungal and antibacterial compounds, tea tree oil is one of effective home remedies for bacterial vaginosis. This will help kill the germs causing this condition. Also, it combats the smell associated with bacterial vaginosis  .
In spite of limited number of research about the application of tea tree oil on bacterial vaginosis removal, it might still also help other infections, such as yeast.
People may be allergic to tea tree oil. In order to test for a reaction, you should rub some on your forearm. In case there is not any reaction within 24-48 hours, it might be helpful. Nevertheless, the oil may burn. Importantly, people had better keep in mind that it is not safe for women during pregnancy. Women should consult a doctor first before using tea tree oil treatments.
If you still decide to take advantage of this ingredient, choose one of these methods:
- Add several drops of tea tree oil into a small bowl, then stir well.
- Rinse your vagina with this solution.
- Do it once per day for 3-4 weeks or so to get best results
- Put 3 drops of tea tree oil in 3 cups of white vinegar
- Add this mixture into your warm bath water
- Soak yourself in this solution for 30 minutes or so
- Do this every other day for 1-2 months if necessary
3. Boric Acid
Researchers suggest that boric acid could combat bacterial vaginosis, especially in women with recurring infections.
According a 2009 research, antibiotic treatment including 600 mg of boric acid inserted directly into the vagina. Women using boric acid had higher successful rates than those who did not. But, this study cautioned that further research should be carried out and validated  .
Note: Pregnant women should avoid using this.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is often chosen to for treating bacterial vaginosis because it is much better than using harmful artificial biotics.
Besides, this ingredient is unique due to its slight acidic, yet it is not acidic enough to harm your body. It could be used safely as long as you dilute it somehow. There are a few ways you can use apple cider vinegar for bacterial vaginosis, such as:
Method 1: Douching
- Take a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to add in 2 cups of water
- Put it in a douching bag
- Use it to douche your down there area once per day
- Keep following for 1-2 weeks to achieve good results
Note: If you douche too much, it may flush out good and bad bacteria. Thus, avoid extra douching.
Method 2: Bathing
In case you use apple cider vinegar for bathing, then you should be careful not overuse it. Increase your vaginal acidity little by little. Too much will cause more problems than expected.
In fact, too much apple cider vinegar may result in painful burning and itching sensations when you sit in the bathtub.
- Cleanse your bathtub and run a shallow, warm bath
- Add ½ cup of apple cider vinegar to your bathwater
- Soak in it for 20 minutes and repeat this process daily till your problem goes away
Method 3: Consuming
Drinking apple cider vinegar for bacterial vaginosis seems much better to douche with or bath in it. But, you need to dilute this ingredient with water to avoid harming your stomach.
Method 4: Tampon Soak
This is an alternative to douching. You can follow the steps here:
- Soak a tampon in the mixture of apple cider vinegar and water.
- Insert it into your vagina and leave it there overnight
- Dispose it in the next morning and repeat this nightly to dispel your symptoms
Remember to use the unfiltered apple cider vinegar to reap its benefits.
One of the most easy-to-find home remedies for bacterial vaginosis is using garlic. This spice is a natural antibiotic that could relieve bacterial vaginosis symptoms. The antifungal properties also keep bad bacteria within your vagina in check .
A fresh garlic clove can kill yeast thanks to its antimicrobial compounds. In a study in 2014, garlic has been proven to kill off infections resulted from bacteria. Actually, taking garlic tablets to handle bacterial vaginosis is as effective as using pharmaceutical drug metronidazole that is usually prescribed for infections in the vagina. Nonetheless, unlike metronidazole, using garlic does not have any side effect.
Taking garlic also prevents the recurrence of bacterial vaginosis.
6. Home Remedies For Bacterial Vaginosis – Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is commonly found in households, which works wonders to help keep your bacterial vaginosis at bay. Being colorless and having a bitter taste, hydrogen peroxide is inexpensive, provides therapeutic property and has excellent tolerability .
Hydrogen peroxide is an alternative to those conventional treatments for infections in the vagina. Being a natural disinfectant, hydrogen peroxide could eradicate the major symptoms of bacterial vaginosis by eradicating bad bacteria. Besides, it facilitates the restoration of pH balance of normal vaginal bacterial population. Hydrogen peroxide is used as a natural antiseptic, helps eradicate irritations causing inflammation, and releases oxygen if applied onto the skin.
To know how to use hydrogen peroxide for bacterial vaginosis, you can select one of the methods introduced below:
- Lie and relax
- Mix water and hydrogen peroxide 3% with the ratio of 1:1
- Squirt and keep the liquid within your vaginal area for 3 minutes before draining it
- Repeat this routine every day to get the best results
Method 2: Use a tampon
- Mix equal amounts of water and hydrogen peroxide 3% together
- Apply the mixture to the tampon
- Insert it into your vagina. Crouch as if you are peeing or pushing in the tampon.
- Leave it there for not more than 30 minutes
- Repeat this daily till your problem goes away
This is an effective way to remove the infection along with fishy smell resulted from it.
- Do not overuse hydrogen peroxide because it might result in irritation and dryness of the vagina.
- The active ingredients in hydrogen peroxide may cause stinging, redness, irritation.
- Contact your pharmacist or doctor instantly if you find trouble breathing and dizziness when using this ingredient.
- It is safe to use for pregnant or breastfeeding women.
Milk has lactobacilli bacteria, making it an excellent natural treatment for bacterial vaginosis. Moreover, using milk also strengthens the immune system. Specifically, drinking milk every day can help restore the flora for your vagina, therefore not allowing a conducive environment for the development of microbes . Also, you could add turmeric powder to the milk and have this mixture daily to lessen bacterial vaginosis symptoms.
Another way to make use of milk to relieve bacterial vaginosis condition is:
- Taking a little amount of chilled milk and soak a tampon into it
- Insert it into your vaginal area
- Leave it there for 1-2 hours and remove it off
- Do this method once per day
8. Coconut Oil
As coconut oil has antiviral and antibacterial properties, it can defeat the germs resulting in bacterial vaginosis . You can use it as a topical treatment for remove bacterial infections within your vaginal area. In accordance with a study related to antimicrobial effect of coconut oil, it was found that coconut oil has lauric acid that is efficient in combating many types of infections. There are several ways to use it as a treatment for bacterial vaginosis, choose one of the followings:
- Apply some organic coconut oil directly onto your down there area for 3 times per day
- Re-apply this method daily to alleviate your condition
- Warm up a tablespoon of coconut oil to get the liquid form
- Add 2-3 drops of tea tree oil into and mix well
- Soak a tampon in coconut oil and insert it in your vagina for about 2 hours
- After that, remove it off
- Repeat this regularly to see good results
In addition to the methods above, you should also add coconut oil into your daily diet, such as cooperating it into your cooking routine to speed up the healing process.
9. Home Remedies For Bacterial Vaginosis – Vitamin D
A study discovered that a vitamin D deficiency is associated with bacterial vaginosis in those pregnant women. This study found that about 93% of pregnant women with sufficient amounts of vitamin D also reported bacterial vaginosis condition. It is very important for pregnant women to understand this as bacterial vaginosis in pregnancy is likely to cause complications, such as preterm delivery.
Thus, you can prevent this condition by supplementing enough vitamin D for yourself, be it from foods or from supplements. Your doctor will determine whether or not you need to take vitamin D supplement.
10. Oregano Oil
The oil from oregano can be used to defeat the bacteria (germ) causing bacterial vaginosis. Considered as one of the best natural antibiotics, oregano oil was shown to be effective against most strains of bacteria .
In order to remove symptoms of this condition by using oregano oil, you could take the steps here:
- Mix 2-3 drops of oregano oil with 1 tablespoon of organic coconut oil
- Apply the mixture to your vagina and wait for 2 hours
- Do this method until you notice improvement in your condition
11. Neem Powder
Thanks to excellent antibacterial effects, neem is recommended for many cases of dermatological issues, including bacterial vaginosis. Neem, in essence, is a traditional medicinal tree native to the Indian. Different parts of the neem tree as well as its products have been used in India for their medicinal properties until now. Over past 60 years, researches have studied the active compounds available in Neem and validated their effects and biological activities, leading to interest in this tree all over the world. Neem is also used in Ayurvedic system of medicine. Its seed oil, fruits, bark, roots and leaves are all used for medicinal purposes. The products derived from neem have been proven to exhibit immunity promoting, antidiabetic, anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antimarial, anti-carcinogenic and antiviral properties.
Traditionally, the neem tree has been used in India in the form of leaves (crushed, raw or cooked), fruit, bark powder, crushed seed, or seed oil or sometimes twigs for chewing. Neem seed oil is a powerful medicine for different infections. It is a highly concentrated form of neem extracts. Oftentimes, neem oil is used externally for infections while oral use of low dose has been shown to be effective for intestinal worms, oral and intestinal candida infection.
Note: Pregnant women or women who are trying to conceive should avoid using neem oil.
You just need to take neem in the powder form and mix with water with the ratio of 1:1, then apply it over your vaginal area. Alternatively, application of neem oil in vagina as well as surrounding areas also brings similar effects.
This is a natural herb that helps in removing toxins out of your body. Just a teaspoon of tracheal dry leaves added to a cup of hot water could flush the toxins from your own system and decrease infection symptoms.
13. Home Remedies For Bacterial Vaginosis – Tea
Tea sounds too good to be true when it comes to home remedies for bacterial vaginosis, but it does work. Tea bags can be applied externally to your affected area to relieve itching associated with bacterial vaginosis.
- Soak a tea bag in a cup of hot water
- Allow it to cool down for a while or put it in the fridge
- Apply it to your vaginal area daily to see good results
14. Cedar Oil
Another little-known method among home remedies for bacterial vaginosis is using cedar oil. Bathing in the solution of 1 teaspoon of salt, several drops of cedar oil and bathwater will decrease itching sensations effectively.
15. Consume Foods Containing Folic Acid
It is highly recommended consuming foods having folate if you are looking for simple but effective home remedies for bacterial vaginosis. It will help protect yourself from problems related to bacterial vaginosis. Such foods are avocado, dark leafy greens, broccoli, asparagus, and spinach  .
16. Cold Compress
You can also make use of ice cubes in your fridge to alleviate symptoms of bacterial vaginosis, particularly itching and burning sensations.
Dip a clean cloth the cold plain water, apply it over your affected area to relieve irritation, redness and swelling .
Learn more: 15 Best Natural Home Remedies For Anal Itching
17. Black Walnut
Apply a tincture of black walnut to help remove bacterial vaginosis. Or, you can take black walnut supplements daily to alleviate the discomfort accompanied by this infection. Black walnut has antibacterial property, thus curing your condition naturally .
18. Home Remedies For Bacterial Vaginosis – Consume Fruit Juices
You can take advantage of citrus fruits or drink the juices from blueberry, cranberry, grapefruits, oranges, lemons to guard against infections, including bacterial vaginosis. Such fruits contain a high concentration of antioxidants .
19. Golden Seal
Goldenseal root, also called as Hydrastis Canadensis, is used as a complementary therapy for bacterial vaginosis. Goldenseal comes with a variety of uses in treating illnesses ranging from wounds to eye infections. The efficacy of this plant derives from its antiseptic and antibacterial effects stemming from active constituent berberine. Using goldenseal will give your immune system a boost and inhibit infection-causing bacteria. In reality, wild goldenseal is an endangered plant, thereby making the powder form of this plant expensive.
According to the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, it is warned that women experiencing symptoms of vaginosis had better see a health care professional as these symptoms could indicate a certain serious issue, including the availability of a sexually transmitted infection. But you should just use goldenseal after having an appropriate diagnosis.
To reap benefits of goldenseal for your infection, you should use it as a douche. It is recommended:
- Mixing ½ teaspoon of goldenseal with ¼ teaspoon of salt, then put them in a cup of warm water
- After the douche settles, strain the mixture to eliminate suspended particles
- Consult your doctor before treating with goldenseal concerning use and dosage.
- Sometimes, douching might exacerbate or result in vaginal infections. Goldenseal powder might irritate your vaginal skin. In case your problem worsens after using this herb, consult your doctor instantly.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women ought to avoid this plant. People with liver or heart conditions should also as well.
This is one of the most beneficial home remedies for bacterial vaginosis because it helps improve the pH level within the vagina and boost the healing process by defeating bad bacteria .
- Soak 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in 1 cup of water
- Leave it there overnight and have this water on an empty stomach
- Repeat this routine daily for 1 month
- Grind 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds to get a good paste
- Put 1 teaspoon of fenugreek powder in a cup of yogurt
- Mix them well and have it twice per day
- Add 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds into a cup of hot water
- Leave it there for about 5 minutes
- After straining the liquid, add 1 teaspoon of honey into it
- Have this solution and repeat this routine 2-3 times per day
21. Home Remedies For Bacterial Vaginosis – Indian Lilac
Aka Margosa leaves, Indian Lilac with its anti-microbial properties has been proven to be helpful in treating bacterial vaginosis . What you need to do is:
- Take a pan to add a handful of margosa leaves into
- Heat up for about 3 minutes
- After they cool down, crush them to have a good powder
- Mix 2 teaspoons of the powder with a proper amount of water to
- Apply the paste over your vaginal area
- Repeat this routine twice per day to have good results
22. Calendula Tea
You can also make use of calendula leaves to eliminate bacterial vaignosis symptoms. It is because this plant has anti-inflammatory properties which are good for decreasing the irritation and inflammation due to the infection.
All you have to do is
- Boil up a proper amount of calendula leaves with water to make a tea.
- Soak a clean cloth in the tea and squeeze out excess liquid somehow
- Rub it over your vagina gently to relieve redness and irritation associated with bacterial infection .
- Repeat this routine 2 times per day
Burning sensation, inflammation and pain accompanied by bacterial vaginosis could be lessened significantly if you use chamomile tea. Thanks to anti-inflammatory properties, chamomile can ease the pain while soothing irritation substantially.
- Add a chamomile tea bag into a cup of hot water
- Let it steep for 2-3 minutes, then cool down to the room temperature
- Place the bag onto your vagina and let the tea infusion to gently flow into your vaginal canal to relieve the symptoms
- Do it once or twice per day for 2 weeks or till you notice an improvement.
24. Aloe Vera
This is among the cheapest but still effective home remedies for bacterial vaginosis. Thanks to therapeutic and soothing effects of aloe vera gel, it is highly beneficial for relieving itching sensation and unbearable inflammation in the vagina.
What you need to do is:
- Wash a fresh leaf of aloe vera with plain water
- Cut it into pieces and take the gel out
- Apply the gel over your infected area
- Repeat this routine daily for 1-2 weeks till your symptoms go away
To boost the healing process, you can also take ½ glass of aloe vera gel.
25. Home Remedies For Bacterial Vaginosis – Echinacea
In regard to home remedies for bacterial vaginosis, echinacea seems little – known but there are specific reasons why it is available in this list. In fact, suffering from frequent bouts of bacterial vaginosis could be an underlying cause of low immunity. Thus, to strengthen your immune system, you can use echinacea herb. This is a powerful herb with medicinal uses thanks to its potent immunity-boosting properties. These effects can help your body fight off infections naturally. Additionally, this herb also suppresses the pain and itching sensation much faster. Furthermore, the herb is beneficial in decreasing potential risks of countering bacterial vaginosis once again in the future.
All you have to do is
- Take 2 ml of Echinacea tincture orally
- Do it 3-4 times per day for about 2 to 3 days
If the symptoms do not get better in 2 days, you should increase the dosage to about 3 ml for reaching your purpose.
Home Remedies For Bacterial Vaginosis – Preventatives Measures
To keep yourself off from troublesome symptoms of bacterial vaginosis, it is necessary to practice clean and safe toilet hygiene. The vaginal is a self-cleaning body organ which does not require soaps, douches or perfumes. The use of such products may alter pH levels. This will trigger the vulnerability to bacterial vaginosis and might produce a foul odor in the vagina.
To minimum the risk and avoid exacerbating an existing your infection, here are some tips you need to follow:
- Wear breathable cotton underwear to maintain good vaginal hygiene.
- Wash your underwear daily and thoroughly.
- Take warm baths.
- Bed sheets, towels, pillows and other items for your daily use need to be cleansed regularly.
- Avoid using scented products on your vagina, including scented soaps or tampons.
- Avoid douching because this will modify the vaginal chemistry and trigger irritations.
- Never insert soap into your vagina. It is often safe to use unscented soap on your vulva.
- Wipe from front to back to avoid sweeping fecal matter into your vagina. Avoid using objects which have been in your anus, be it sex toys, in your vagina.
- Keep your down-there area dry. Avoid sitting in the wet underwear or swimwear. Pat your vagina dry after showering.
- Wash your hands prior to touching your vagina, particularly when inserting objects, like menstrual cups or tampons.
Now, you have been known some of the most natural and effective home remedies for bacterial vaginosis. Using some of these 34 natural treatments and you will cure your issue in no time. Feel free to share your experience with us after following the guidelines here and let us know which works best for you.
To have more similar tips, do not hesitate visit our main Home Remedies page.