Vaginal odor is one of the horrible experiences that no woman wants to go through. Vaginal odor is commonly caused by an inflammation in the affected vaginal area. If you have an unpleasant vaginal odor, it could be extremely embarrassing. Even, it is a signal of some kinds of infection or poor personal hygiene. The influence of vaginal odor does not only lie at the health and confidence of the sufferer but also the relationship between her and her partner. It is important to acknowledge what this condition really is, why it happens, how to treat it and how to prevent it from reoccurring. This article from TrueRemedies.com will show you how to get rid of vaginal odor naturally at home with ease. Take a look at some basic information about vaginal odor below!
What Is Vaginal Odor?
In essence, vaginal odor is any type of odor that derives from the “down there” area. It is totally normal for the female vagina to have a certain slight odor. However, if your vagina smells strongly, such as “fishy” smell, then it signals something wrong. Abnormal vaginal odor happening due to an infection or another issue is often accompanied with other vaginal signs like burning, itching, discharge or irritation.
What Are Causes Of Vaginal Odor?
Oftentimes, vaginal odor might vary during your menstrual cycle, and particularly noticeable after having sex. It is proven that normal sweating could also lead to a vaginal odor. Despite it might be tempting to use a vaginal deodorant or to douche in order to alleviate the odor, those products might worsen your condition and potentially cause other vaginal symptoms.  
Here are 5 most common causes of unpleasant vaginal odor:
- Infection: This infection is called bacterial vaginosis. In fact, no one knows what triggers this problem. Signs that your vaginal odor is caused by an infection is that it has a fishy odor and a thin gray or white discharge along with burning sensation whilst having intercourse or urinating. This infection is prone to transmitted sexually. Another infection could be trichomoniasis.
- Hormonal changes: Vaginal secretions during your menstruation or between the ovulation and the next period might have unpleasant odors than those during other periods of the cycle. Sometimes, menopause is another potential hormonal change, in which the estrogen levels are reduced, leading to the less acidic condition of vaginal tissue. As a result, this cause vaginal odor.
- Sweat: In reality, a sweaty groin is smelly. The external genitals have a particular type of gland named apocrine sweat glands, which could also be found in the nipples, armpits, ear canals, wings of nostrils, and eyelids. Those glands secrete the oily fluid metabolized by the bacteria on the skin, thereby letting off a specific smell. If you are overweight and wear tight clothing, it may exacerbate your problem by trapping the sweat as well as bacterial on the skin.
- What you eat: the foods you eat also impact vaginal odor, similarly to other body parts, such as your scalp, armpits, feet, and mouth. According to research, foods having strong scents such as pepper, chilies, garlic, onion, blue cheese, fish, cabbage, and broccoli seem to have the strongest impact. In such case, eliminating such foods will help you control this condition.
- A forgotten tampon: It is said that, the establishment of menstrual blood along with bacteria over time could result in itching, irritation, an unpleasant, strong-smelling discharge. Thus, if you suspect that you have forgotten to eliminate a tampon, you need to check your gynecologist to safely remove it and treat possible infections.
What Are Symptoms Of Vaginal Odor?
Different kinds of vaginal odors will have different causes. Whilst some are a normal secondary effect of bodily changes, other types might mean infection. Women usually describe their normal scent as something musky that is attributed the normal cleansing system of the body. If you have a slightly metallic scent during menstrual cycles, it is normal. But, fishy or foul odors are abnormal. That case, you should go to a healthcare professional to determine if the vaginal infection is causing your odor.
When To See A Doctor?
If you are concerned about persistent or abnormal odor, you had better see your doctor for an exam of vaginal area, particularly if you have signs and symptoms like burning, itching, discharge or irritation.
Also, to minimize your vaginal odor, you should wash your external genital area and avoid douching.
How To Get Rid Of Vaginal Odor – 16 Best Home Remedies For Vaginal Odor
1. Baking Soda
According to Drugs.com, baking soda is highly alkaline and could be used to balance the pH level within your body. Just simply drinking a large 8 oz. glass of water mixed with ½ teaspoon of baking soda a few times per day can give you a fast adjustment in your pH levels. Or, you can also follow these steps:
- Add ½ cup of baking soda to your bath tub that contains water
- Soak your whole body in this solution for 20 minutes
- After that, use a clean soft towel to dry out your body. This will help fight off yeast infections and remove vaginal odor effectively.
However, you should not take more than 4 teaspoons of baking soda every day. Consult your doctor for the right directions of dosage.
Caution: Because baking soda may increase your blood pressure; hence, if you are taking medicines for hypertension, or high blood pressure, then you should not use baking soda without medical supervision.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Another solution for those looking for ways on how to get rid of vaginal odor is apple cider vinegar. This ingredient has amazing antiseptic antibacterial properties that could be useful in treating vaginal odor . The vaginal environment is rather acidic with the normal pH level is often between of 3.8 – 4.5, so that harmful bacteria could not survive here. Nonetheless, once there is an overgrowth of bad bacteria, it often implies that the pH level has been changed to less acidic. Infections such as bacteria vaginosis or vaginal odor will increase the pH level of the down there area to more than 4.5.
Using apple cider vinegar will lower the pH level of the vaginal environment thanks to its acidic nature, particularly acetic acid. What you have to do to make use of apple cider vinegar for learning how to get rid of vaginal odor is:
- Dilute apple cider vinegar with water as the ratio 1:4. Or, you can add 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to 1 full glass of plain water.
- Drink this solution to boost your immune system.
- Add 1 -2 cups of apple cider vinegar to your bath water
- Sit in this solution for 20 minutes to cure your problem
- Dilute 1 tablespoon of unsweetened apple cider vinegar with 1 liter of water to create a homemade wash that can slightly wash the area around your vulva, not in the vagina
- After washing, rinse it off with water and do it daily till your symptoms disappear.
- You could also use other vinegars such as white/distilled/ rice vinegars that are made from grains to reduce vaginal odor. But, do not use artificial vinegars. Some types of vinegar sold in the market are made from derivations of petroleum. However, in general, it is better to choose apple cider vinegar over other types because it has more health promoting benefits.
- Do not use apple cider vinegar pills. It is shown that apple cider vinegar pill products sometimes have different ingredients included, not necessarily apple cider vinegar. There is no legal definition of things making apple cider vinegar, so producers could technically make apple cider vinegar pills without using apple cider vinegar.
- Do not drink apple cider vinegar for a prolonged period as it is acidic, so it may damage your tooth enamel in the long term.
3. White Vinegar
As mentioned earlier in the previous tip on how to get rid of vaginal odor using apple cider vinegar, white vinegar also helps in treating vaginal odor. It can neutralize the odor in different parts of your body, including the “down there” area. It also restores the pH levels in the vagina.
- Mix ½ cup each of salt and white vinegar in your bathwater
- Soak in that solution for several minutes
- Do this method a few times per week to get noticeable results.
4. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil, aka melaleuca alternifolia, is a species of shrub or tree native to Australia. With antifungal properties, tea tree oil is effective in eradicating vaginal discharge as well as odor. Tea tree oil has antiviral, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial properties with the good capabilities of penetrating into skin. It also has low potential for skin irritation. It is proven that just several drops of tea tree oil can help in combating mild irritation or infection in the vagina. You can take advantage of tea tree oil by following the steps below:
- Mix 3 drops of tea tree oil with a cup of water
- Rinse your “down there” area with this solution every day
- Dip a tampon in the olive oil before putting some tea tree oil into it.
- Then, insert that tampon into your vaginal area and wait for at least 1 hour. Apply this method a few times per week to get good results.
- Mix 1 drop of tea tree oil with 1 drop of lavender essential oil along with 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Let this mixture dissolve in the vinegar (taking about 2-3 minutes)
- Pour the mixture into about 2 cups of warm water and then pour that liquid in a douche bag
- After that, shake the contents and rinse your vaginal area with this solution
- Tea tree oil may lead to allergic reactions. Thus, you should test a small amount of this oil on your skin prior to using in order to see if you are allergic to it.
- Avoid ingesting tea tree oil because it may cause toxicity.
Garlic, a famous ingredient in the kitchen, can kill yeast. Fresh garlic could cure a yeast infection and vaginal odor as well. That is why it is listed as one of effective ways on how to get rid of vaginal odor. Garlic is a natural antibiotic and has antifungal properties that can be useful in fighting a yeast infection. Using it can remove bad bacteria from your body.
- Just simply consume garlic in the raw and cooked form on a daily basis. It is recommended to eating 1-2 raw garlic cloves on an empty stomach along with a glass of warm water.
- Also, add garlic to your dishes as well as salads to take advantage of it.
- Put a piece of garlic in the vaginal area for 1-2 hours. Repeat this routine a few times per week till your cure this issue for good.
When it comes to tips on how to get rid of vaginal odor, fenugreek is a little known solution. But, it is very effective in improving the pH level within the vaginal area and also kills bad bacteria to promote the healing process.
To make use of fenugreek for vaginal odor, you can follow 2 methods below:
- Add 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds into 1 cup of water
- Leave it there overnight and drink the solution in the morning before having a breakfast
- Do this method daily for about 1 month for the best results
Method 2: Mix fenugreek seed powder with plain yogurt
- Grind 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds into a good paste
- Add 1 teaspoon of fenugreek powder in 1 cup of yogurt
- Mix them well and consume this mixture twice per day
Method 3: Fenugreek seeds added in hot water
- Add 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds to 1 cup of hot water
- Leave it there for 5 minutes before straining it up
- Add 1 teaspoon of raw organic honey to flavor
- Have this mixture 2-3 times per day
Caution: Fenugreek might lead to diarrhea and irritated skin in some individuals. When experiencing these symptoms, do not use this ingredient.
If you are a big fan of herbal remedies, then neem might be the right solution for you. This is one of effective ways on how to get rid of vaginal odor at home. Neem has antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties, thereby making it a fast way to remove vaginal infections as well as feminine odor. Take the steps here:
- Boil a small amount of neem leaves in a pot of water
- Strain it up and leave it there till the solution gets cooler
- After that, rinse your vaginal area with this mixture and repeat this routine daily for good results.
Or, you could also make use of neem oil to kill off all germs that result in vaginal odor.
8. Coconut Oil
Using coconut oil is among efficient tips on how to get rid of vaginal odor thanks to its antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties. Coconut oil can kill the germs that cause bacterial vaginosis and prevent potential attacks. There are many studies carried out into this oil for vaginal odor treatment, and scientists have discovered that it is a powerful treatment when it comes to ways on how to get rid of vaginal odor. But, when using coconut oil for vaginal odor, you need to choose unrefined virgin or organic coconut oil.
Method 1: Coconut oil with tampon
- Put 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in a bowl and soak a tampon in this solution before applying to your down there area
- Leave it there for several hours and rinse off with tepid water thoroughly
- Re-apply this method daily till your problem has gone.
- Take 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and melt them
- Then, add 4 drops each of melaleuca essential oil and lavender essential oi.
- Stir them well and pour them into a silicon mold
- Put the mold in the fridge for 15 minutes and then remove the suppositories from the mold, put them in a container
- Place the coconut oil suppository onto your affected area and wait till the next morning. That way, the oil will melt down when being touched with the body. You should wear a pad to avoid possible mess.
- Repeat this routine to get a final relief from vaginal odor.
Method 3: Coconut bath
- Add several drops of coconut oil to your bath water which is tepid
- Soak your body in this solution for several minutes and pat it dry after that
- Repeat as you want
You can incorporate coconut oil into your daily diet to clear up vaginal odor. By taking from 3-5 tablespoons of coconut oil per day, you can get its antifungal benefits. Some tips to add coconut oil to your diet include:
- Using coconut oil as a replacement for margarine or butter and spread it on the bread
- Add coconut oil to your oatmeal dish
- Take 1 teaspoon of coconut oil before having your meals
- Use coconut oil for your cooking routine
- Add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to the smoothie
9. Amla / Indian Gooseberry
Also known as “myrobalan”, “Malacca tree”, Indian gooseberry is a circular or oval-shaped fruit with light greenish yellow color and vertical stripes. They are bitter, astringent and sour. This fruit is rather fibrous and has high vitamin C level. Indian gooseberry has anti-microbial, antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties which can help in cleansing the vagina effective. It explains why Indian gooseberry is one of good treatments for those who are learning how to get rid of vaginal odor. To take advantage of this fruit for vaginal odor relief, you should follow these steps:
- Take 10-12 gooseberries to smash and put in plain water
- Boil up and let it cool down
- Apply the concoction all over your vaginal area after having a shower
Don’t skip: 15 Best Natural Home Remedies For Anal Itching
You can solve your vaginal odor naturally thanks to its multiple health benefits. It is full of lactobacillus, a healthy bacteria keeping your belly free from illness while reducing the yeast infection of your “down there” area. Lactobacillus can restore the normal vaginal pH amount that may kill your vaginal odor. Consume unsweetened plain yogurt up to 2 cups each day to get good results. At the same time, you should also apply the method below:
- Soak a tampon in about ¼ – 1/2 cup of yogurt
- Then, add it to your vagina and wait for a few minutes before removing it off
- Wash off with water
Caution: Do not use yogurt for this purpose if you are sensitive to dairy products.
11. Cranberry Juice
Cranberry is helpful in keeping bacteria count low because it is acidic in nature. Just simply taking a glass of undiluted, unsweetened cranberry juice daily can help flush out the toxins from your body, not mention to keeping vaginal odor away.
If you choose to drink cranberry juice, you should choose unsweetened type because the types having sugar could lead to infection or even worse because yeast extremely thrives on sugar. For people who do not are fans of cranberry’s taste, use cranberry pills as an alternative. They also give the same effect as drinking cranberry juice.
Or, you can also apply the following method:
- Dab a cotton ball in unsweetened cranberry juice
- Apply it over your vaginal area and wait for a few minutes to wash it off
- Pat it dry using a soft cloth
- Repeat this routine 3-4 times per day
- Cranberry supplements might interact with some types of medications such as antibiotics, blood thinning, aspirin, and liver medication. Thus, you had better consult your doctor before using them.
- Cranberry juice as well as fruits are safe for both pregnant and breastfeeding women. Yet, the same does not go for cranberry supplements
- Cranberry juice and its extracts have chemical oxalate, which along with calcium is the major reason for kidney stones. So, if you have a history of kidney stones, avoid high dosages or long-term using of cranberry juice.
- Do not drink cranberry juice which has artificial sweeteners or sugars.
12. Citrus Fruit
Citrus foods have an ability of fighting infections and preventing vaginal smell. They are rich in vitamin C, which is an immune booster and could remove toxins out of your body. If your immune system is health, you will be able to fight off harmful bacteria which cause vaginal odor. Those fruits are also good at fighting urinary tract and vaginal infections that cause unpleasant smell.
13. Alum Treatments
This tip on how to get rid of vaginal odor is little known. Alum is a sulfate of aluminum. It is used for not only purifying water but also food pickling. Also, it is also utilized for taking control of body odor. In fact, alum treatment is a conventional natural aftershave to help monitor bleeding from reductions that men may get from shaving. Because it is readily dissolves in plain water, alum and perspiration could combine together to help neutralize the development of bacteria that causes body odor, including vaginal odor. It is thanks to antiseptic and astringent properties. Alum is particularly helpful when vaginal odor is a consequence of whitish liquid discharge in the vaginal area. To make use of this method, take these steps:
- Buy an alum stick in any grocery store, soak it in plain water and rub over the surrounding area of your vagina. Remember to cleanse your hands beforehand. Be gentle.
- Do it once or twice per day
- Blend the powder of alum with water and wash your vagina with it twice per day. This will help eliminate vaginal discharge which promotes your vaginal odor.
14. Guava Leaves
Having antibacterial, anti-inflammatory properties, and antioxidants along with specific tannins, guava leaves are a valuable treatment for those who want to know how to get rid of vaginal odor. Leaves of guava have been used as an ingredient in medicines for various disorders.
- Take 8-10 guava leaves to add in 1 liter of water, then boil up till it remains half of the original amount
- Let it cool and use this solution to wash your vaginal area to help remove vaginal discharge and reduce menstrual cramps
- Do this twice per day
15. Boric Acid Treatment
Boric acid, one of the highly effective solutions for those who want to know how to get rid of vaginal odor, is a crystalline, white chemical substance with antiviral and antifungal properties. This chemical is used in different prescription pharmaceutical products and available without official prescription. Many experts recommend using vaginal boric acid capsules as a treatment for vaginal odor and other yeast infections, especially infections that could not be cured by antifungal medicines for yeast infection.
You could use boric acid for vaginal odor to help restore the proper acidic level in your vaginal area. To use boric acid for vaginal odor, follow the steps below:
- Fill size 0 gelatin capsules with about 600 mg of boric acid
- Insert the capsule in your vagina before going to bed for about 7 days.
Despite more research should be carried out in order to find out how effective boric acid is, some studies have proved that it cured about 70 out of 100 women. You had better consult your doctor to see whether or not you have to use boric acid over a few months to relieve vaginal odor.
- Sometimes, boric acid causes skin irritation. However, if you use it internally by mouth, or on open wounds, it is toxic. Children and pregnant women should also avoid boric acid.
- Do not consume boric acid.
Turmeric is one of the most effective herbs for different illnesses. Having antibacterial properties, turmeric can keep the vaginal area protected against viral infections as well as kill off bacteria. In Ayurvedic treatments, the combination of turmeric and milk offers an effective solution for dryness in the vagina as well as vaginal odor.
- Put 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder in 1 glass of warm milk
- Drink this solution to dispel the smell of your vagina naturally
It is said that the best way of using turmeric for vaginal odor is including it in your daily diet. However, it is better to use good quality turmeric powder or raw turmeric over curcumin supplements.
Cautions: Despite there are no adverse effects when consuming turmeric in regular diet. But, turmeric supplements should be taken with caution in order to avoid allergic reactions and risks posed by improper dosage.
- Avoid turmeric supplements if you are pregnant
- If you consume blood thinning medications for diabetes, avoid turmeric supplements
- Because turmeric has blood thinning property, turmeric supplements should be used with caution for those with gall bladder disorders, gastrointestinal disorders and bile passage obstructions.
17. Vitamin D
According to studies, those women who lack sufficient serum levels of vitamin D seem to have higher risk of bacterial vaginosis, which is a common cause of feminine odor. For those vegetarian, deficiency in vitamin D might be the culprit. 
Extra Tips For Vaginal Odor
In order to prevent feminine odor, from happening or coming back, aside from following 16 tips mentioned above, you should not skip these helpful precautions and hints:
- Drink from 8 to 10 glasses of water per day to remove toxins which are responsible for infections and other health issues. By keeping yourself hydrated, you are maintaining a good immune system, which is vital for fighting infection.
- Practice proper good hygiene
- Change pads, panty liners, and tampons regularly
- Do not use scented products both on and around your vagina because they are too harsh and might lead to irritation.
- Wash your vagina after each of intercourses
- Practice safe physical intimacy
- Wear loose fitting clothes and 100% cotton panties which allow air circulation and keep the vulva ventilated, thereby avoiding excessive perspiration.
- Avoid coffee, onions, excessive red meat, strong spices, or dairy products, and alcohol because they are major food borne culprits to vaginal odor. The best way to decide if your vaginal odor is caused by certain foods is to eradicate them from your diet one by one, so you can see if it can make any difference.
If the issue does not get better or even is severe with 17 tips on how to get rid of vaginal odor mentioned above, then you should visit a doctor.
After reading this article, you may figure out some solutions for your problem to try at home. Give at least some of these tips a try and see how they work for you. Then, share your story with us by dropping words below this post. We love your comments and will reply as soon as we could. For more tips and tricks about how to do “something” for better health and beauty, visit our How To Page.