Heavy menstrual bleeding, also known in the medical term as menorrhagia, mentions to the condition of prolonged and heavy menstrual periods which disrupt the normal activities of a woman. It is estimated that this condition is one of the most common gynecologic complaints, and impacts more than 10 million women in the US annually. I know that the reason you are reading this article of 30 Home Remedies For Heavy Menstrual Bleeding Clots In Women is to learn how to treat menorrhagia at home, but before that, you had better understand some basic information about this problem. That way, you can deal with it the right way.
What Is Heavy Menstrual Bleeding?
Despite heavy menstrual bleeding is a common concern among premenopausal women, the majority of women do not experience blood loss which is severe enough to be reckoned as menorrhagia.
With heavy menstrual bleeding, each period you have leads to enough blood loss and cramping which you could not maintain your daily activities. Average blood loss during menstruation is from 30 to 40 milliliters, heavy menstrual bleeding is a loss of more than 80 milliliters of the blood in just one cycle (twice the regular amount).
Some other professional claim that heavy menstrual bleeding is a menstrual loss that is greater than the woman thinks that she could reasonably manage. This kind of flow often lasts longer than 7 days, and requires a woman to change her tampon or pad every 2 hours or even more.
She might also pass the blood clots larger in size than a quarter, and experience anemia because of the volume of blood loss.
What Are Common Causes Of Heavy Menstrual Bleeding?
Heavy menstrual bleeding might happen when the menstrual cycle does not produce an egg, thereby causing a hormonal imbalance.
A hormonal imbalance during adolescence or menopause is considered the most common cause of this condition. During adolescence, after the girl has her first periods, and for a few years prior to the onset of menopause, her hormone levels fluctuates, leading to excessive uterine bleeding during her periods.
It is possible to treat heavy menstrual bleeding resulted by hormonal imbalances with birth control pills as well as other hormones.
- Urine Fibroids
The next cause of heavy menstrual bleeding is uterine fibroids. It is crucial to acknowledge that fibroids are often benign (non-cancerous). They happen in the uterus during the 30s and 40s age of the woman. Whilst the cause of uterine fibroids is not clear so much, it is known that they are estrogen-dependent. Uterine fibroids might cause heavier than usual or prolonger menstrual bleeding.
- Cervical Polyps
Benign, small growths that being in either the endocervical canal or the mucosal surface might result in prolonged or heavy menstrual bleeding. Cervical polyps’ causes are not clear, but they are often the consequence of an infection. Also, they are accompanied with the abnormal response to increased levels of estrogen or confestion of blood vessels within the cervix. Those women over the age of 20 who have had babies seem the most commonly affected by this condition.
- Endometrial Polyps
There are some non-cancerous growths protruding from the uterus’ lining. Despite the cause of endometrial polyps is not clear, it is often accompanied with an excess estrogen hormone treatment or sometimes with some kinds of ovarian tumors.
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)
This happens when one or more body organs are infected and impact the uterus, cervix and fallopian tubes. PID is often a sexual transmitted infection; nonetheless, it sometimes happens following the abortion, childbirth, or other gynecological procedures.
- Cervical Cancer
This is a kind of cancer which happen when the cells in the cervix become abnormal, multiply out of control and ruin the healthy body parts. It is estimated that more than 90% of cervical cancers are caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV).
- Endometrial Cancer
This cancer happens when the abnormal cells within uterus or the lining of the uterus multiply out of control and ruin the uterus as well as other body organs. Whilst the cause of endometrial cancer is not known clearly until now, women having this type of cancer are often at the age of 50 and usually have endometrial hyperplasia, or make use of the hormone replacement therapy (also known as HRT).
- Intrauterine Devices
This is a famous side effect of using non-hormonal intrauterine device for the purpose of birth control. When the IUD causes prolonged and heavy periods, women should remove the device and choose an alternative method of birth control.
Some types of drugs, including anticoagulants and anti-inflammatory medications could contribute to heavy menstrual bleeding.
- Some Medical Conditions
There are a number of medical conditions, such as thyroid problems, pelvic inflammatory disease, endometriosis, kidney or liver disease, might be accompanied with heavy menstrual bleeding.
What Are Symptoms Of Heavy Menstrual Bleeding?
Signs and symptoms of heavy menstrual bleeding could include the following:
- Heavy vaginal bleeding, resulting in the soaking of one of more sanitary pads / tampons every hour for a few consecutive hours
- The demand to use double sanitary protection to help control the menstrual flow
- The need to wake up in order to change sanitary protection throughout the night
- Bleeding for more than one week
- Passing blood clots along with menstrual flow for longer than 1 day
- Restricting everyday activities because of heavy or prolonged menstrual flow
- Tiredness, shortness of breath or fatigue
When To See A Doctor?
If you experience the following problems, then you should seek medical help instantly:
- Heavy vaginal bleeding that soaks at least one tampon of pad one hour for over a few hours
- Vaginal bleeding after the menopause
- Irregular vaginal bleeding or bleeding between your periods
There, you have discovered some information about heavy menstrual bleeding, it is time to find out what the best natural home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding are. Take a look at TrueRemedies.com!
Top 30 Effective Home Remedies For Heavy Menstrual Bleeding Clots In Women
1. Cold Compress
Placing an ice pack on your abdomen might decrease the condition of menstrual bleeding. Also, it might lessen swelling and pain. The application of cold compress will cause vasoconstriction, or blood vessel constriction, leading to a reduction in blood loss.
What you need to do is:
- Take an ice pack to wrap in a T-shirt or towel, then place it over your abdomen for about 15-20 minutes
- After each 2-4 hours, you reapply the pack as long as you see an improvement in your menstrual bleeding.
In case you feel it is too cold and your abdominal skin becomes numb, you should remove the pack.
2. Blackstrap Molasses
Among home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding, blackstrap molasses is one of the most effective. This is a popular treatment for anemia – a result of heavy menstrual periods. Blackstrap molasses have helped many women with fibroids, which is a cause of heavy periods as mentioned earlier. That is very great because just one proverbial stone, you can kill three birds through this natural treatment.
Blackstrap molasses is high in iron, aids in producing red blood cells. Also, it regulates the amount of blood lost throughout the menstrual period. Using it can also decrease blood clots as well as soothe your uterine walls’ muscles to alleviate pain.
- To make use of blackstrap molasses for heavy periods, it is recommended to add 1-2 teaspoon of this ingredient in a cup of warm milk or plain water.
- Then, drink it once per day
- Do this for a few months to see good results
- Mix ½ tablespoon of the blackstrap molasses with one glass of the lemongrass tea.
- Drink it twice per day, once in the morning and once at night before your bedtime.
- Follow this treatment for several months
Or, you can add blackstrap molasses to a smoothie or coffee, and mix it into cream of wheat and oatmeal to take advantage of this ingredient.
Remember that if you have diabetes and use blackstrap molasses in your diet, you need to carefully monitor your blood sugar. That case, do not start using this ingredient by tablespoons.
If you are using blackstrap molasses to build up iron lost during cycles, then you can consider taking it with fresh orange juice, not milk. Thanks to the high content of vitamin C in orange juice, it can help the absorption of iron while the calcium in milk seems to hinder the absorption.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
This is another must-try home treatment in this list of home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding in women.
Generally, apple cider vinegar is taken as a tonic for a wide range of health issues, including heavy periods. With many nutrients included. Apple cider vinegar if taken can not only help you treat alleviate heavy or prolonged menstrual bleeding, but also other health issues, such as digestive problems, high blood pressure, blood sugar problems, and arthritis. Using apple cider vinegar will aid you in maintaining hormonal balance. Even, it is useful in removing symptoms of heavy periods like headaches, cramping, fatigue and irritability. Take the following steps:
- Take 1-2 teaspoons of unfiltered, raw apple cider vinegar to add in 1 glass of plain water.
- Drink the mixture thrice per day during your cycles
Long term undocumented use of this ingredient could lead to health problems, such as reduced bone density or low potassium levels. Also, it can interact with diabetes as well as cholesterol medications.
Besides, apple cider vinegar may alter your insulin levels. Thus, you had better check with your doctor before taking advantage of this ingredient. Also, choose the good quality brand of apple cider vinegar because it plays a big role in the effect given on you. Choose the organic type because commercial brands seem to have few beneficial ingredients.
Cinnamon used to be considered more valuable than gold in the medieval Europe. This ingredient is claimed by practitioners of herbal medicine to be able to treat heavy or prolonged menstrual bleeding. The results might take from 3-4 months. However, more scientific evidences need to be found out to substantiate those claims.
According to researchers in the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, cinnamon oil with its anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-parasitic properties can inhibit many kinds of oral bacterial and treat vaginal yeast infections naturally. This herb can stimulate the blood flow away from the uterus. Using cinnamon can relieve cramps as well.
What you have to do is:
- Simmer 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder in 1 cp of hot water for several minutes
- Drink it twice per day
- Take just 3 drops of the cinnamon bark tincture for two times per day
- Take 15-30 drops of the cinnamon oil which is diluted in ¼ cup of water for 2-3 times per day
Follow either of these remedies just during your cycle.
Excessive amount of cinnamon oil might depress the central nervous system. For safety concerns, women with liver or kidney damage, children, nursing women, men with prostate issues should not use cinnamon oil. The high dosage of cinnamon oil can induce abortion; pregnant women should not use this ingredient in any form.
5. Coriander Seeds
This remedy is one of little – known home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding. It helps steady your flow. Coriander seeds can balance your hormones and cures heavy periods. What you need to do is:
- Take coriander seeds in the infusion form
- Take 4 teaspoons of the seed and boil in 2 cups of water
- Wait until the water decrease to ¼ cup
If you like, mix sugar to give the drink more taste.
6. Red Raspberry
The leaves of red raspberry are beneficial for women having heavy menstrual bleeding clots. Thanks to the tannins content, red raspberry can strengthen the uterine muscles and reduce abdominal pain.
Red raspberry leaves can regulate the menstrual cycle as they have fragrine which can tone the uterus. Once the uterus is toned, it becomes more relaxed and accelerates the blood flow more smoothly and decrease cramps, thereby preventing difficult periods.
Also, it is a great source of easily assimilated calcium, helping regulate the excessive hormones which the female body produces monthly, particularly when the woman is near her time of the month. It prevents the body from producing hormones that cause premenstrual syndrome like anxiety, cramping, and irritability. To make use of raspberry for heavy menstrual flow, you should follow these steps:
- Put raspberry leaves in a pot of water, let it simmer. Avoid overheating it as you might end up clearing its nutrients
- After about 5 minutes, strain it in a container. Add some honey to make it sweet
- Drink the tea.
If you do not love hot drinks, then you can make a refreshing drink.
- Put 10-15 raspberry leaves in a pot of 5-8 cups of plain water. Let it simmer, but do not overheat to avoid clearing its nutrients
- Strain in a container after about 5 minutes
- Choose your favorite sweetener like sugar of honey to add in, allow it to cool down
- Pour it into a glass and add ice cubes.
- Put some slices of lemon and mint sprig if you like and have the iced tea
- Drink the tea daily to help your body have more healthy menstrual cycles.
Red raspberry tea is also excellent for those pregnant women and highly recommended by herbalist because it helps to strengthen the uterus.
- If you are on medication, consult your doctor before using this remedy
- Start slowly because you may have allergic reactions
The next treatment in this list of home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding is cayenne pepper. Cayenne pepper can balance the blood flow within the human body and helps in maintaining hormonal balance, relieve the symptoms of prolonged or heavy bleeding. Also, with its antibacterial and antifungal properties, cayenne helps in disinfecting the wound and stop bleeding. What you have to do is:
- Take ½ teaspoon of cayenne powder and add into a glass of warm water
- Add honey and drink the solution twice or thrice per day
- You could also take cayenne supplements twice per day, but with the consultation of your doctor.
8. Banana Flower
This sounds strange when it comes to home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding, but it works. Banana flower can relieve symptoms of menorrhagia. Cook banana flower by steaming it, then mix it with curd before consuming it. Try to make the curd fresh.
Or, you can also mix 1 teaspoon of banana flower extract to ¼ cup of curd and have it.
The combination of curd and banana flower can helps in boosting the progesterone hormone. It is an effective treatment to reduce heavy menstrual bleeding.
According to a study published in the journal Phytotherapy Research, ginger might offer a natural solution for women with heavy menstrual bleeding. This study concluded that ginger can reduce the menstrual blood loss, and promote the quality of life of young women. This ingredient is easy to use and cheap and comes with fewer side effects than many other chemical medications as well as invasive approaches.
Ginger with its anti-inflammatory and anti-emetic properties can reduce vomiting and nausea, two problems associated with prolong and heavy menstrual flow. Prostaglandins are hormones released at menstruation time that are responsible for cramping. Those women with more prostaglandins often have heavier menstrual periods. Consuming ginger can inhibit prostaglandin production thanks to its anti-inflammatory effect. Also, ginger can inhibit the paths leading to prostaglandin production, thereby decreasing the inflammation and cramping related to heavy menstrual flow.
- Grate / crush fresh ginger and mix it with plain water
- Boil it up and allow it to steep for 10 minutes
- Add honey / sugar to the beverage prior to consuming it
- Take the drink 3 times per day after meals
Or, you could also chew ginger directly and eat it 4 times per day to get a relief from heavy bleeding.
Ginger, like many other herbs, has blood-thinning properties that may increase bleeding in people taking medication interfering with blood clotting like aspirin, or women having bleeding disorder. Thus, consult your doctor before using this ingredient for menstrual conditions.
Many herbalists said that, comfrey is a great treatment for heavy bleeding. It helps in constricting the blood vessels, therefore decreasing heavy periods. Furthermore, its high content of calcium as well as vitamin C can stimulate the healing activity naturally. In traditional medicine, it is often used to speed the healing of wounds thanks to the concentration of allantoin.
What you need to do is:
- Boil the fresh or dried comfrey leaves in about 1 cup of plain water
- Let it steep for 5 minutes
- Take it daily for a few weeks to alleviate the symptoms of heavy bleeding.
Caution: Comfrey is not recommended for pregnant women, even externally. Always consult a qualified herbalist prior to using this herb.
11. Lady’s Mantle
Also known as alchemilla vulgaris, lady’s mantle is a herb that can reduce blood flow. The leaves of this herb is used to produce medicine, thanks to its powerful muscle tightening and contraction, blood vessel tightening, and blood coagulation effects. These properties help in normalizing menstruation.
To make use of this herb, you could use a dose of approximately 20-30 drops of it for thrice per day prior to your menstrual cycle. Do it for 2 to 3 weeks to see good results.
This will help you have a decreased- normal blood flow during your period.
12. Mango Bark
This plant should be used in the liquid form to relieve symptoms of heavy menstruation. Take the steps below:
- Take the extract of the mango bark. Then, mix it with water.
- Consume 1 teaspoon of the solution every one hour
Or, you can also mix vegetable mucilage or egg white plus with poppy kernels with the mango extract and drink.
13. Chamomile Tea
Women with heavy periods should consume chamomile tea to cure their problem at home. Chamomile has anti-microbial properties that can fight off bacterial toxins. Make the tea by following the steps below:
- Steep chamomile flowers (fresh or dried) in boiling water for about 15 minutes
- Drink the tea 3 times per day
Do not take too much chamomile tea because it may cause vomiting or drowsiness. Pregnant women should avoid using this tea because it may induce abortion.
Chamomile should be avoided if you are taking blood thinning medicines because chamomile has coumarin which is a blood thinner.
14. Mustard Seeds
Mustard seeds can reduce heavy bleeding naturally. To take advantage of this ingredient for heavy periods, you follow this method:
- Take 40g of the dried mustard seeds to grind into fine powder.
- Add mustard seed powder into a glass of milk and drink the solution twice per day both before and during your cycle to reduce the blood flow.
15. Sesame Seeds
Sesame seeds are very great for women with menorrhagia. It helps in reducing the bleeding while curing spasmodic pain as well as cramps associated with heavy menstruation.
- Grind a small amount of sesame seeds to get a fine powder
- Mix the powder with hot milk / water and drink it twice per day before and during your cycle
In addition to consuming this seed this way, you could take hipbath using sesame seeds by mixing sesame seeds with the warm water and taking the hipbath using the final water.
Gooseberry or amla juice is another treatment for heavy periods. Drink this sour juice two times per day to relieve the problems. After drinking this juice, you suck on salt to help prevent sore throat. Gooseberry can also prevent anemia resulted from heavy periods.
Papaya is high in calcium, vitamin A and a great source of potassium. Also, it has vitamin B available in the form of folic acid, vitamin B-1 and B-6 as well as riboflavin. Those vitamins and minerals make this fruit a powerful fruit that can control some illnesses.
According to Dr. Sadhna Singhal, Senior Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology with Delhi based Sri Balaji Action Medical Institute said that, papaya can help regulate menstrual cycles because it contains a lot of heat which can stimulate the production of estrogens within the female body, resulting in normalizing periods. Also, raw papaya can help increase blood flow during cycles because it enables the appropriate functions of uterus muscles. Therefore, it normalizes menstruation in the natural ways.
Just raw papaya can help normalize the menstrual cycle, not ripe one. There are some ways to consume raw papaya, but it is best eaten as a homemade salad.
18. Shepherd’s Purse
Shepherd’s Purse, also known as capsella bursa pastoris is helpful in reducing blood flow within several minutes. It also relieves heavy menstruation. This herb can also deal with postpartum bleeding because of the strong astringent property that causes blood vessels to constrict, thereby leading to a decrease blood flow.
- Mix 1-2 tablespoons of Shepherd’s Purse and ad them it 1 ml of warm water
- Have this solution twice per day
19. Chaste Tree
Our hormones can be balanced with the help of chaste tree, aka vitex agnus castex. This herb induces progesterone production that can prevent menstrual bleeding. This effect is gained through normalizing the female hormone cycle. Moreover, it promotes the production of high progesterone amounts which prevents estrange release, thereby decreasing uterine bleeding.
- Use 30 drops of chaste tree tincture for 3-4 times per day to relieve heavy menstruation.
Licorice is very useful in arresting heavy periods.
Prepare the licorice and remove its peel. Grind them into a fine powder.
- Take 3g of the powder with water drained rice for 3 times per day
- Do it for 4-5 days
21. Rough Chaff
To cure prolonged and heavy blood flow, you can drink the tea made from rough chaff. Follow the steps below:
- Soak 20g of rough chaff in about 30ml of plain water to create an infusion
- Have the solution twice per day to stop heavy bleeding during cycles.
22. Hawthorn Flowers Decoction
This is one of the little-known home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding. What you have to do is:
- Mix 30g of Hawthorn with 15g of saffron in a proper amount of water
- Have this decoction when it is hot for 2 times per day
This oriental treatment is good for menstrual issues such as discharge of the blood clots, abdominal pain, and reducing heavy menstrual periods.
23. Thyme Tea
Thyme is renowned for its relaxing effect. Thus, it can ease the cramping of muscles, and maintain normal and regular blood flow in your body. Do the method below:
- Add 1 teaspoon of dried thyme leaves into 1/4l of boiling water
- Strain this solution and let it cool
- Drink two cups of this tea daily
As an alternative, you could fill an ice tray with the thyme tea before freezing it. Use those ice cubes on your abdominal area as a cold compress.
24. Bitter Gourd
Bitter gourd juice may be hard to consume, so you can consume a dish made from bitter gourd. This veggie can help in clotting the blood, thereby decreasing heavy menses.
Because of the availability of antioxidants and fibre, tamarind can help in clotting the blood and preventing excessive bleeding during periods. Tamarind can reduce the cholesterol level and is considered one of the best natural home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding.
- Remove the seeds of tamarind and boil them in water. Add water and honey in the tamarind paste after that.
- Let it cool down and consume it with bread.
26. Sacred Fig
To take control of symptoms of heavy periods, you can prepare sacred fig juice and take it twice per day, one in the morning and one before your bedtime. This is reckoned one of the best home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding in women.
Being an herbaceous flower, marigold has been used since many centuries to help prevent heavy periods. What you need to do is:
- Take 5 marigold flowers and boil them in 500ml of water.
- Let it boil for 7 to 10 minutes
- Strain the infusion to allow it to cool down
- You could use this water for cooking or preparing coffee or tea.
- Drink at least 120ml of the marigold infusion 2 times per day. Start this treatment about 2 days before your day of periods and keep maintain for the first 3 days of the cycle.
Rosehip is the herb mainly known due to its essential oil. This type of oil is used in a lot of cosmetic treatments. Rosehip is high in vitamin C and vitamin C, as mentioned earlier, is required by the human body to improve the absorption of iron from the foods. Sufficient iron quantity in your body can help your body replace the lost blood more and prevent anemia, which is a result of heavy periods.
Nonetheless, avoid using this oil for an internal use. You can get rosehip powder from food stores. What you need to do is:
- Drink at least 3 cups of herbal rosehip tea for efficiently treatment heavy periods.
- Do it for 3 days prior to your periods and during your periods.
The next one in this of home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding is jujube. In fact, jujube tea if taken with red dates is a proven effective cure for heavy periods. The tea prepared from jujube leaves can also treat anemia.
- Prepare the tea by boiling about 15g of jujube leaves and 1 teaspoon of 200ml of fresh water.
- Drink the tea for 10-12 times per month, particularly whilst you are in your period.
30. Diet Changes
- Take more vegetable juices such as tomato juice and salty fluids such as bouillon. Drink 4-6 cups daily to reduce symptoms of heavy menstrual bleeding.
- Add more magnesium-rich foods to your daily diet to reduce estrogen release. Magnesium is very beneficial in creating the balance of female hormones like progesterone and estrogen. Reduction in magnesium content will increase estrogen hormone level, thereby leading to heavy periods. You can take advantage of dark chocolates because they are a good source of magnesium. Some other sources are nuts and seeds, oats, avocado, pumpkin, watermelon and squash. If you choose a supplement, you had better consult your doctor before using it.
- Consume more foods high in vitamin C as well as iron to boost the blood clots. They include fruits and veggies. Iron is helpful in promoting red blood cells development. Iron and vitamin C one another as vitamin C can boost the absorption of iron necessary for easy blood clotting. Iron-rich foods are dark green veggies, egg yolk, pumpkin seeds, red meat, liver, prunes, raisins, cereals that are fortified with iron.
The above-mentioned home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding are claimed to be able to reduce the symptoms of heavy or prolonged periods. Choose some of them and alternate them in your treating to see how effective they are. If you have any contributing ideas about our article of “Top 30 natural home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding clots in women” introduced in Home Remedies Category, do not hesitate to drop your words below this post. We will answer as soon as we could.