Women go through menstruation every month. Some can live peacefully with it where as others may not maintain their usual activities because of it. Beside typical symptoms of their periods like moodiness, irritability, breast tenderness, many women have experienced uncomfortable heavy menstrual bleeding during their periods. This problem can affect them badly. Actually, young adolescents who have begun menstruating and old women who are approaching their menopause usually have the tendency to be more susceptible to heavy menstrual bleeding. It has been proven that over 20 percent of women over the age of 40 have faced excessive periods bleeding. Thus, this problem has become one of the common concerned issues that women focus on nowadays .
Many women who have heavy menstrual bleeding are looking for effective remedies. However, many victims of heavy period bleeding adopted methods without knowing which is really good and safe for them. Therefore, not all of them achieve a fruitful result and the problems become more serious. Do not go too far, you may get confused. As a matter of fact, you can become a doctor by yourself to ease symptoms associated with heavy menstrual bleeding flow. If you want proper effective natural remedies that you can try at home, read our article of 64 Best Tips On How To Stop Heavy Menstrual Bleeding Flow. For more information about other natural home remedies, take a look at TrueRemedies.com!
Before we jump deeper into the treatments for heavy menstrual bleeding, let’s discover some basic information about heavy menstrual bleeding first.
What Is Heavy Menstrual Bleeding?
Heavy menstrual bleeding, also medically known as Menorrhagia, is a menstrual periods with abnormally heavy or prolonged bleeding.
What Are Common Causes Of Heavy Menstrual Bleeding?
The cause of heavy menstrual bleeding for some cases is unknown. However, there are a wide range of conditions that put you in higher risk of heavy menstrual bleeding in most cases. The common causes are as below:
- Hormone imbalance
- Ovary’s dysfunction
- Polyps (grow within the lining of uterus)
- IUD (Intrauterine device)
- Medications like drugs that are used to fight against inflammation
- Inherited bleeding disorders
- Pregnancy complications such as ectopic pregnancy and miscarriage
- Conceiving after the age of 40
- Bleeding disorders
- Uterine fibroid tumors
- Blood dyscrasias
- Diabetes mellitus
- Chronic nephritis
- Uterus’ retroflexion
- Aderenal glands’ disorder
- Cervix uteri’s erosion
- Low level of platelets
- Other medical conditions like adenomyosis, blood thinners and PID (pelvic inflammatory disease), endometriosis, liver and kidney diseases
What Are Symptoms Of Heavy Menstrual Bleeding?
Symptoms of heavy menstrual bleeding may include:
- Period lasts longer than a week
- Have much blood loss and repeatedly change sanitary pads or tampons every 2-3 hours for entire day or more
- Experience menstrual bleeding flow with large blood clots
- Get severe and continuous painful cramping in the lower stomach (dysmenorrhea)
- Suffer from pain, symptoms of anemia such as fatigue and shortness of breath
- Bleed between periods
- Bleed after menopause
- Get nausea and headaches
- Have depressive mood and extreme weakness
When To See A Doctor?
Most women have heavy flow days and do not experience heavy blood loss enough to be diagnosed with menorrhagia. As you know that any serious health problems must be cured medically in the most appropriate way. Long-lasting heavy bleeding can have negative effect on your emotion, daily activities as well as social life. Additionally, it may lead to serious dysmenorrhea, iron deficiency or anemia.
Once you have heavy menstruation for more than seven days, the best source for advice on treating this problem is your doctor. After asking you to talk about your health history and symptoms, the doctor may do a physical exam and make tests including ultrasound, Pap test and blood tests or take a sample of the tissue lining your uterus. Then he or she will often be able to diagnose properly the problems and give you’re the right treatment depending on your underlying cause. Do not forget to seek evaluation at a hospital’s emergency department if any of the following warning situations occur with heavy menstrual bleeding flow:
- Vagina bleeds so heavily that at least one pad or tampon an hour are completely soaked and this remains consecutively for more than 2 hours.
- Have hemorrhage between periods or irregular menstrual bleeding
- Have vaginal bleeding after menopause
- Suffer from anemic condition
- Have abnormal vaginal discharge
- Experience thick blood clots for more than one day
- Pass excessive bleeding with fever, diarrhea, vomiting or nausea
If you are not suffering from the above serious situations or you want to combine a natural option with doctor’s advice to recover more quickly, select the best tips on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding flow as below:
Top 64 Best Tips On How To Stop Heavy Menstrual Bleeding Flow
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
The first and foremost best tip on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding flow that we want to introduce here is apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar, also known as cider or ACV, can be found easily in many kitchens. This apple must is widely used in salad and has a lot of amazing health benefits. It can benefits your health in many ways such as regulating blood sugar levels, enhancing weight loss, lowering cholesterol, improving skin health, reducing blood pressure, relieving acid reflux’s symptoms, fighting fungus, soothing sunburns, treating warts, healing itchy poison ivy rash, warding off seasonal allergies, keeping hair shiny, whitening teeth, stopping cold’s symptoms and even heavy menstrual bleeding flow.
ACV is well known for treating symptoms associated with heavy menstrual bleeding such as headaches, fatigue, cramping, bloating, intestinal discomfort and irritability. It has the antiseptic properties that can cleanse the internal system. Moreover, the vinegar with amber color can also act as a tonic to kick toxins out of your body and balance hormones. A study found that women with irregular and heavy periods due to polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) should consume apple cider vinegar daily because this can help them boost their fertility and make periods regular. Thanks to all these advantages, apple cider vinegar is used as an effective home remedy for heavy menstrual bleeding. All you have to do is:
- Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of raw apple cider vinegar in a glass of lukewarm water
- Stir them well
- Drink this liquid three times per day during heavy days
- Rinse your mouth after drinking the concoction
- Repeat daily for at least a month
Note: People with diabetes should consult a doctor before using apple cider vinegar.
2. Red Raspberry Leaf
Red raspberry leaf is the second best home remedy for heavy menstrual bleeding flow that we want to mention here. The leaves of red raspberry are composed of tannins which are helpful for strengthening the uterine muscles. Furthermore, they can help decrease abdominal pain and calm cramps during heavy days thanks to their wonderful alkaloid, namely fragarine.
High level of potassium, iron and vitamin B in red raspberry leaves may reduce nausea’s occurrence and keep your energy up. The book “How To Herb” said that the consumption of raspberry leaf can help strengthen the uterus’ wall, give support to the whole female reproductive system and reduce excessive menstrual flow. Therefore, red raspberry leaf is used as one of the best tips on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding flow.
How to use:
- Bring two cups of water to boil
- Pour the hot water in a cup
- Put a tablespoon of dried red raspberry leaves in the cup of hot water
- Cover and steep for at least ten minutes
- Strain through a fine mesh to get red raspberry leave tea
- Slowly sip the tea three times per day
- Remember to drink the tea one week before your cycle starts as usual monthly schedule and throughout your period
- You can use ready-made red raspberry leaf tea bag instead of dried leaves.
- Strawberry leaves can be a substitutive option for red raspberry leaves.
Our third natural elixir for heavy menstrual bleeding flow that you can do at home is licorice. Also called sweet root, licorice has been used for beverage, health and medicinal purposes for many years. According to the University Of Maryland Medical Center, licorice is commonly used to treat canker sores, indigestion, peptic ulcers, eczema, colds and cough. However, the benefits do not stop there. It can work wonders for people with stress, adrenal gland problems, cardiovascular disease, menopausal symptoms, infection and heavy menstrual bleeding .
Like apple cider vinegar, licorice is especially helpful for women who experience heavy bleeding because of PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome). It is an active support for tiredness and sleeplessness due to heavy menstruation. Thus, licorice has been used as a best home remedy for heavy menstrual bleeding flow since long ago. Let’s do as follows:
- Collect a handful of licorice roots
- Cleanse them thoroughly with water
- Make them dry under the sun or in an oven
- Peel the outer bark and grind them into fine powder
- Store the licorice powder in an air tight jar in cool place
- Add 1 teaspoon of licorice powder and two cup of water in a saucepan
- Boil them under medium heat
- Turn down the heat and continue steeping for 5 to 10 minutes
- Strain through a fine mesh to get licorice tea
- Drink licorice tea in a cup 2-3 times per day for a month
- Take some fresh licorice plant leaves
- Cleanse them well with water
- Make them dried in an oven
- Boil water in a kettle
- Add dried licorice leaves into the hot water
- Steep for 10 to 15 minutes
- Filter to remove the leaves and get licorice leaf tea
- Slow sip this tea three times daily
- Do not use licorice if you have allergic reaction to the herb
- Consuming more than 2 ounces of licorice per day for two weeks or more may lead to low level of blood potassium (hypokalemia) and irregular heart rate (arrhythmia)
Among the most effective ways on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding flow, jujube is one of the most effective natural methods. It is wonderful that there are many health benefits of jujube. The benefits of jujube range from aiding in digestion, improving sleeplessness, supporting skin care, reducing stress and anxiety, boosting immunity to regulating circulation, controlling weight, detoxifying the blood and treating cancer.
In addition, jujube’s leaves are used to treat heavy menstrual bleeding flow thanks to its ability for blood’s detoxification and circulation’s control. It is the fact that the leaves of jujube are high in iron and phosphorous which are important ingredients for blood circulation. Particularly, the tea from jujube leaves and red dates is well known for curing blood deficiency and ceasing profuse menstrual bleeding. That is the reason why many people choose jujube as one of the best tips on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding flow. Do as below:
- Pick 15 grams of jujube leaves
- Prepare a spoon of red dates
- Wash the leaves and red dates thoroughly with water
- Add jujube leaves, red dates and 200ml water in a saucepan
- Bring all the ingredients to boil under medium heat
- Simmer for another 10 minutes under low heat
- Pour through a fine mesh to get jujube tea
- Drink this tea 10 to 12 times monthly to improve heavy menstrual bleeding
- Drink it daily if you are getting your period
5. Sacred Fig
If you are looking for natural remedies that can treat Menorrhagia at home effectively, do not forget to have a look at fig – our fifth best home remedy for heavy menstrual bleeding flow. Sacred fig, also called Bodhi tree, pippala tree, peepul tree, peepal tree or ashwattha tree, is a species of fig belonging to the mulberry family which is widely grown in the Indian subcontinent and Indochina. It is not only a worshipped tree but also has great medicinal values in the treatment for bleeding diarrhea, poor appetite, asthma, skin disease, snake bite, eczema itching, cracked heels, impotency, constipation, liver, spline and tooth disease, hiccups, eye pain and so on. Specially, sacred fig can purify blood and ease stomach pain. This is an efficient aid in process of healing heavy menstrual bleeding. Follow these steps:
- Pick 8 to 10 fresh bud of sacred figs
- Wash them thoroughly with water
- Grind them finely to make a paste
- Apply this paste on the lower abdomen (just below the navel)
- Keep the paste on your abdomen for a few hours
- Repeat the process once a day
- Collect a handful of fresh leaves from sacred fig plant
- Clean them carefully with water
- Add a glass of water and clean sacred fig leaves in a juicer
- Blend them thoroughly
- Filter to get fresh juice from sacred fig leave
- Drink the juice twice per day during your menstrual cycle (one in the morning and one before going to bed)
Another home remedy for heavy menstrual bleeding flow is comfrey. Comfrey, also known as Symphytum, is a Eurasian plant of the borage family which has large hairy leaves and clusters of white or purple flowers. Besides being used as a fertilize, as many other herbs, comfrey owns many surprising health benefits such as healing wound, reducing pain, boosting immune system, improving respiratory disorder, preventing cancer and even curing heavy menstrual bleeding  .
Herbalist said that comfrey can help control the blood vessels’ size by constricting them leading to the reduction of excessive blood flow during your menstruation. Thus, comfrey should be counted in the list of best ways on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding flow. What you have to do is:
- Boil two cups of water
- Add two teaspoons of comfrey leaves in the teapot
- Pour hot water over the comfrey leaves
- Close the teapot lid
- Let the tea steep for 20 minutes
- Strain and slow sip a cup of the comfrey tea once daily
- Do not use comfrey if you have liver problems or are using hepatotoxic drugs
- Only use comfrey for heavy menstrual bleeding days
7. Rough Chaff
One more effective home remedy for heavy menstrual bleeding is rough chaff. Rough chaff, or Achyranthes Aspera, has the medicinal properties for curing cough, cholera, spleen enlargement, asthma, renal dropsy, wounds, warts, ulcers, insect bites, eye disorders, fatigue, insomnia, toothache, etc…
It is surprised that rough chaff can also alleviate heavy menstrual bleeding. The antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties of rough chaff may treat abdominal pains and blood diseases, thereby Menorrhagia can be improved significantly. The infusion from this erect stiff annual herb and water is believed to be able to treat profuse bleeding during menstruation. Therefore, you should try rough chaff as the best home remedy for heavy menstrual bleeding flow .
Do as the instructions below:
- Take 20 grams of rough chaff
- Wash the rough chaff thoroughly with water
- Add rough chaff and 300ml of water in a saucepan
- Boil them under medium heat
- Let it simmer for 10 to 15 minutes
- Remove the rough chaff by filtering to get rough chaff tea
- Drink the tea twice per day
- Prepare some rough chaff seeds
- Add the seeds and 100ml of water in a blender
- Grind them until the mixture becomes completely smooth
- Apply the paste on your navel or just under navel to reduce pain
- Do this one or two times a day
One of the best tips on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding flow is thyme. Thyme is a shrubby plant of Eurasian mint family with small pungent aromatic leaves that are usually used for culinary and ornamental purpose. Much more than that, it has been a powerful medicinal herb since ancient times for the treatment of high blood pressure, heart disease, coughing, immune’s disorder, infection, stress or bad mood and so on.
Besides, thyme has also found to be good in case of heavy menstrual bleeding. It is packed with vitamin A, vitamin C, copper, fiber, iron and manganese which are essential for getting rid of unstoppable bleeding during periods. Additionally, thyme has relaxing quality that can help ease muscles’ cramps and regularly maintain blood flow at normal level. Because of these prominences, thyme is chosen as a best home remedy for heavy menstrual bleeding flow. Select one of these following methods:
- Pick three fresh or dried thyme sprigs
- Cleanse them carefully with water
- Make 1 ½ cup of water boil
- Chop the thyme sprigs and add them to a tea ball infuser
- Dip the tea ball infuser into the boiling water
- Steep for 15 minutes
- Pour the thyme tea in a cup
- Add a slice of fresh ginger, a teaspoon of honey in the tea cup to make it more delicious (optional)
- Slowly sip two cups of warm thyme tea daily during heavy periods
- Drink thyme tea during heavy days only
- Do not use thyme if you are allergic to oregano and similar plants
- Thyme is not recommended for those who have hormone sensitive conditions like uterine fibroids, uterine cancer, breast cancer, ovarian cancer and endometriosis.
- Stop using thyme at least two weeks before your scheduled surgery
- Steep thyme leaves in boiling water for fifteen minutes to get thyme tea
- Wait for it to become cool
- Pour the tea into ice trays to freeze
- Take the thyme ice cubes
- Rub them directly on your abdomen to be released from cramping
- Do this one or two times a day
Together with thyme, yarrow are also listed in the best ways on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding flow. Yarrow, or Achilea Millefolium, can be extremely helpful for those having gastrointestinal problems, infection, scar, hormone imbalance, mastitis, high blood pressure, asthma, cold, fever and arthritis. Specially, yarrow is famous for its potential power in stopping bleeding including Menorrhagia.
It contains a unique chemical compound called achilleine that is able to cease profuse bleeding. Similar to comfrey, yarrow constricts the blood vessels and lessens the flow of blood. Many herbal sources indicated that the consumption of yarrow feathery leaves can decrease uterine spasms and menstrual cramps. This composite herb even can help fight against more serious uterine problems such as fibroids by dissolving heavy bleeding clots. Now you can see that it is hard to deny trying yarrow as an effective home remedy for heavy menstrual bleeding flow. Take these steps below:
- Pick some fresh yarrow leaves
- Wash them carefully with water
- Bring 1 ½ cup of water to boil
- Add yarrow leaves in the boiling water
- Continue to simmer under low heat for at least 10 minutes
- Strain to get yarrow tea
- Add a teaspoon of honey to sweeten (optional)
- Enjoy a cup of warm yarrow tea once a day
- It is better for breastfeeding women and people who have allergic reactions not to drink yarrow tea.
- Consume no more than 3g of yarrow per day as a tea or infusion
If you are learning how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding flow (menorrhagia) naturally at home, pay attention to chamomile. Chamomile is a member of the Asteraceae family that has been used as a favorite beverage for years. This herb has a wide range of different species of daisy-like plants but the most common ones are Chamaemelum nobile (Roman chamomile) and Marticaria recutita (German chamomile).
Over the past 20 years, extensive scientific research has confirmed many traditional uses of the plant in teas as well as its pharmacological features including antipyretic, antiseptic, antispasmodic, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, sedative, muscle relaxant, anti-allergenic and antibacterial activity. Nowadays, chamomile is used as a pharmacopoeia drug in 26 countries for the treatment of many diseases such as insomnia, cold, stomach ache, flatulence, indigestion, diarrhea, anorexia, motion sickness, nausea and vomiting, skin and hair’s problems, wound, stress, and even heavy menstrual bleeding .
Thanks to the properties of pain-relief, antispasmodic and muscle relaxant, chamomile can help ease cramps, relax the uterus and reduce the production of substances causing inflammation and pain, namely prostaglandins. Thus, there is no doubt that these beneficial properties of chamomile can be supportive in arresting symptoms of excessive menstrual bleeding. Let’s use chamomile as a best home remedy for heavy menstrual bleeding flow. Here is how to reap its benefits:
- Put 2 to 3 teaspoons of chamomile dried leaves into a cup of boiling water.
- Leave it for three to five minutes.
- Use a tea strainer to get chamomile tea.
- Add a slice of lemon juice or some honey (optional).
- Slowly sip one cup of the tea per day during heavy periods
- Do not use chamomile for breast-feeding women and people who has ragweed allergies.
- If you do not have chamomile dried leaves, use chamomile dried flowers or chamomile tea bag instead.
11. Bamboo Leaf
If you’re tired of trying over-the-counter medication without expected results, you may want to turn to bamboo leaf among the best tips on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding flow. Bamboo leaves have impressive health benefits for many diseases such as lung and stomach heat, respiratory disorder, high level of cholesterol, thyroid problems, tumor, nail and hair’s disease, asthma, birth disorder, hypertension, wounds and bladder problems.
Traditionally, bamboo leaves have antioxidant fact and ability to ease labor pains for pregnant women and cure infections, infertility and menstrual problems including heavy menstrual bleeding. The leaves can help ease associated uncomfortable symptoms of women’s period like abdominal pain, bone and back pain. They are also an excellent remedy to cease excessive bleeding in a natural way. What you need to do is:
- Pick 5 pieces of fresh bamboo leaves
- Wash them thoroughly with water
- Add 4 cups of water and bamboo leaves in a saucepan
- Boil them until there is about one glass of water left
- Filter through a fine mesh to get the decoction of bamboo leaves
- Drink this decoction two times daily
Note: You may include bamboo nodes along with bamboo leaves in the process of making the decoction.
Another wonderful fast and effective herb for heavy bleeding period is parsley. Parsley is not only used to add in food but also has great useful benefits for health. It is a proven cure for kidney and eye disease, edema (bloating), diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, flatulence, anemia, bad breath, cancer and even heavy menstrual bleeding. Parsley, also known as Petroselinum Crispum, can help cure heavy menstrual flow thanks to two advantages.
First, it contains an ingredient of female hormone estrogen, namely apiol which can help regularize periods. In fact, the benefits of parsley for women are much more than that. Regular parsley intake can help heal hormonal disorders including premenstrual syndrome, menopause and delayed menstrual cycle, enhance the estrogen hormone’s secretion and boost women’s libido. Second, this European biennial herb of the carrot family might aid in relieving cramps and discomfort due to irregular periods. That’s why we recommend you to choose parsley as a best effective home remedy for heavy menstrual flow. Points to remember:
- Prepare a bundle of fresh parsley
- Cut off the stem of parsley
- Clean the parsley by submerging in a wash-pot several times until you see no dirt in the pot
- Add the fresh parsley and a glass of water into a juicer
- Blend them well together
- Pour the mixture through a fine mesh to get fresh parsley juice
- Enjoy the drink at least once a day
Note: You may make parsley juice more delicious by mixing parsley with apple, lemon and honey.
- Add two or three teaspoons of dried parsley leaves to a teapot
- Pour hot water over the dried parsley leaves
- Leave it undisturbed for 5 to 10 minutes
- Filter to get parsley tea
- Add 1-2 teaspoon of honey and 2-3 drops of fresh lemon juice to enhance the tea’s flavor (optional)
- Sip it slowly every day
Note: Do not take parsley if you have allergic reaction to parsley or any of the ingredient presented in the herb
13. Wood Apple
One of the best tips on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding flow is wood apple leaf. Wood apple, also called Limonia Acidissima, Elephant Apple or Monkey Fruit, is a big tree of the Rutaceae family with long leaves, hard berry fruits and inner edible sticky pulps. Various parts of the tree have been used extensively in herbal medicine since 1950s. The leaves from wood apple are widely used in salads as well as medicinal purpose in form of tonic, powder, poultice, etc.
Wood apple leaves have a number of health benefits for anorexia, jaundice, joint pain, post-partum depression, hiccups, snakebites, malaria, respiratory problems like sore throat and chronic cough, indigestion, constipation, piles, dysentery and so on. Furthermore, you may also arrest excessive menstrual bleeding by daily intake of wood apple leaves. The leaves can help ease the pain from menstruation and regulate the blood sugar, leading to prevent heavy flow.
The anti-bacteria and anti-inflammation of wood apple leaves are believed to support in stopping unusual heavy menstruation. Therefore, it can’t be denied that wood apple leaf is an efficient natural home remedy for heavy menstrual bleeding flow. How to use:
- Pick some fresh wood apple leaves
- Wash them thoroughly with water
- Boil two cups of water in a saucepan
- Add wood apple leaves to the boiling water
- Simmer under low heat for ten to fifteen minutes
- Strain to get wood apple leaves’ decoction
- Drink a cup of the decoction two times daily
- Wood apple leaves are not recommended for patients with thyroid problems.
- You can eat wood apple fruits as a replacement for wood apple leaves
14. Guava Leaf
Guava leaf is a home remedy that can treat heavy menstrual bleeding flow naturally. Guava leaves are very popular in many corners of the world, so it is quite easy to find these leaves and take full advantage of them. There are numerous guava leaves’ health benefits, especially their benefits for blood disorders including anemia and heavy menstrual bleeding.
Guava leaves are a good source of tannins and have great amount of anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant agents which make them a powerhouse of nutrition and medicinal value. This can help a lot in the process of treating heavy flow during periods. Besides, guava leaves are rich in vitamin C that can provide strength and ease the pain associated with Menorrhagia. All these good points make guava leaf become a best home remedy for heavy menstrual bleeding flow that we should not ignore. Here is a quick and easy method:
- Take two to three fresh guava leaves from a guava tree
- Wash the leaves till they get clean
- Boil guava leaves with ½ glass of water
- Steep under low heat for 5 minutes
- Strain to get guava leaf tea
- Add a few drops of fresh lemon juice in the tea
- Stir and enjoy the tea 3 to 4 times daily during red dates
Sage, or Salvia Officinalis, is an aromatic plant with greyish green leaves that are usually used as a culinary herb to give flavor to food. Since ancient times, sage has been exploited for its medicinal properties. The herb has been used for treating various conditions and disorders including heavy menstrual bleeding by herbalists for a long time. Similar to many other best tips on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding flow, sage has anti-inflammatory properties that can be supportive to the treatment of Menorrhagia.
Moreover, this herb is beneficial for women thanks to the tannins which have estrogenic effect and can slow heavy period flow as well as prevent blood clotting. Together with tannins, oils found in sage have anti-spasmodic and astringent properties which are said to be able to heal pain and heavy menstruation in women. Thus, do not forget to try sage as a best home remedy for heavy menstrual bleeding flow. To use sage, do the following:
- Boil water in a kettle
- Add a tablespoon of sage in one cup of boiling water
- Leave it steep for a few minutes
- Slowly sip the tea every day
- 5 fresh sage leaves
- 1 fresh organic apple
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper
- 2 ounces of cheese
- 1 ½ tablespoons of maple syrup
- Wash sage leaves and apple carefully with water
- Peel apple and cut it into slices
- Cut sage leaves into pieces
- Crumble cheese finely
- Add all the ingredients in a large bowl
- Toss them well before serving
- Eat this salad once per day
Note: You can soak apple slices in salty water before adding to the salad in order not to be brown.
16. Lady’s Mantle
Lady’s mantle is a best herb to cope with heavy menstrual bleeding. Lady’s mantle, also called Alchemilla mollis or Alchemilla vulgaris, is a perennial herbaceous plant of the rose family with large circular grayish green hairy leaves and small yellow flower. The herb has offered a wide array of health benefits since medieval times that you may be unaware of. It can treat many skin’s problems such as anti-aging, skin infection, eczema, stings, bites, skin rashes, etc. It works as an efficient cure for wound, digestion, sore throat, vaginal infections, after childbirth and oral issues. Actually, lady’s mantle is an effective herbal cure for treating infertility in women. It is also a powerful cure for heavy menstrual bleeding. Similar to sage, lady’s mantle has active ingredients that can help heal heavy menstrual bleeding like tannins and astringent properties.
Additionally, the salicylic acid in the herb acts as a painkiller. What it can do to help treat excessive menstruation is ceasing the spotting between periods, alleviating mild aches, pain and cramps during menstruation, lessening profuse bleeding flow and restoring normal menorrhea. Therefore, we choose lady’s mantle as a best home remedy for heavy menstrual bleeding flow. Directions:
- Prepare ½ cup of lady’s mantle, ½ cup of red raspberry leaf, ¼ cup of lemon balm
- Mix all the ingredients
- Dip 1 tablespoon of mixed herbs in a pot of boiling water
- Steep for five to ten minutes
- Strain to get the tea
- Sip one cup of lady’s mantle tea per day
- Drink the tea one week before your period starts
Note: Avoid using lady’s mantle if you are taking iron supplement or suffering from high blood pressure, blood clots, anemia, and blood thinners.
17. Indian Gooseberry
Among natural remedies to stop heavy bleeding during periods at home, we want to introduce Indian gooseberry here. Apart from being an ingredient in many condiments, Indian gooseberry are also beneficial in Ayurvedic medicine. Indian gooseberry, also known as amla or emblic, has healing effects for hair care, eye care, anti-aging, calcium absorption, metabolic activity, diabetes, diuretic, digestion, infection, heart disease, diarrhea and dysentery.
Much more than that, this small round sour fruits also can be a great solution for those who are facing Menorrhagia. The gooseberry has high level of vitamin C content that may strengthen your immune system and prevent excessive bleeding flow. Since the fruit can enhance normal menstrual flow, increase the level of iron in the blood and boost your energy to cope with disease, it can relieve you from uncomfortable symptoms of excessively heavy menstruation. If Indian gooseberry is easy to find in your location, try it as one of the best tips on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding flow. Do as follows:
- Pick some fresh Indian gooseberry
- Cleanse them thoroughly with water
- Eat at least one fruit daily
- Buy Indian gooseberry powder at a trusted store
- Put two tablespoon of Indian gooseberry powder in a glass of water
- Stir well to dissolve the powder in water
- Drink the solution throughout your period every day
18. Indian Spikenard
One more effective remedy originating from India is Indian spikenard. Spikenard, or nard, nardin and muskroot, is often used to cure many ailments including insanity, wounds, ulcers, migraine, asthma, acid reflux, amnesia, ascaris, depression, baldness, low or high blood pressure, fatigue, constipation, insomnia, anxiety, hysteria, cough, epilepsy, gastritis, gas and bloating
, impotence, atherosclerosis, liver enlargement, digestive problems, infections and certainly menorrhea (heavy menstrual bleeding).
This aromatic plant of the valerian family has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial feature which can be a powerful remedy for those with heavy flow. In addition, Indian spikenard acts as an analgesic to help soothe painful periods. Thanks to these advantages, Indian spikenard is chosen as the best home remedy for heavy menstrual bleeding. How to use:
- Take some stems from Indian spikenard
- Wash them clearly with water
- Dry them under the sun or in an oven
- Grind them into fine powder
- Add one or two teaspoons of Indian spikenard’s powdered stem in a glass of water
- Stir them well
- Enjoy the drink once a day during red dates
- Prepare a handful of Indian spikenard’s rhizomes
- Use water to wash them thoroughly
- Bring water to boil in a saucepan
- Add the spikenard rhizomes to the boiling water
- Let them infuse for five to ten minutes
- Drain the liquid to get spikenard tea
- Drink the tea hot or cold in a cup daily
19. Saw Palmetto Berry
Saw palmetto berry is another effective herb in the list of best tips on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding flow that you should take note. Traditionally, saw palmetto berries have been used to heal a number of diseases ranging from asthma, cold and coughs, sore throat, migraines, sleeping troubles to chronic bronchitis and cancer. They are also an herb often used for menstrual issues including heavy menstrual bleeding flow.
Saw palmetto berries might be able to aid in the treatment of menorrhagia by naturally stimulating the level of female hormone, controlling profuse bleeding flow and painful periods. Hence, do not skip this magic herb in your search for best tips on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding flow. What you have to do is:
- Pick 4 to 5 fresh saw palmetto berries
- Clean them with water
- Directly eat the berries on an empty stomach every day
- Continue the process for two to three days until your problems are controlled
- Take 3-4 dried saw palmetto berries
- Add them to the boiling water
- Simmer under low heat for 10-15 minutes
- Filter to get saw palmetto berry’s tea
- Slowly sip a cup of this tea once per day
- You can use powdered saw palmetto berries to make tea as a substitution for dried saw palmetto berries.
- Saw palmetto berries interfere with anticoagulant and antiplatelet drugs like Clopidogrel, Coumadin, Aspirin, Warfarin and Plavix. Stop consuming the berries if you are taking one of these drugs.
- If you are going to have any type of surgery, stop taking saw palmetto berries two weeks before scheduled surgery.
20. Aloe Vera
If you are one of those who are looking for natural ways on how to stop unusually heavy periods at home, have a look at aloe vera. You may be amazed at numerous benefits of aloe vera. It is well known for curing skin issues like aging and dermatitis. It is an efficient solution for arthritis pain, wounds, nausea, ulcers, diabetes, oxidative stress, high blood sugar level.
If you want a powerful natural remedy for soothing acid reflux symptoms, strengthening immune system, promoting hair growth and inhibiting cancerous development, aloe vera is a good choice. However, the benefits do not stop there. It can be very helpful in alleviating heavy menstrual bleeding flow, too. The evergreen perennial plant is considered to be an excellent stimulant for the uterus. Its ani-inflammation is said to be able to ease pain, cramping and slow excessive flow during menstruation. Let’s select aloe vera as a best home remedy for heavy menstrual bleeding flow. Do as the following steps:
- Cut a large fresh aloe vera leaf
- Clean it thoroughly with water
- Peel the green skin to get the gel inside
- Soak the gel in salt water for fifteen to twenty minutes
- Wash aloe vera gel for one more time and cut into cubes
- Crush them finely with a grinder
- Add crushed aloe vera gel and one liter of water in a saucepan
- Bring the mixture to boil
- Turn down the heat and add some sugar for better taste
- Continue to cook under low heat for another 1-2 minutes
- Turn off the heat and pour the solution to a small bowl or a glass
- Daily consume the aloe vera drink before and during menstrual cycle
21. Snake Root
Among best home remedies to treat heavy periods bleeding flow, snake root appears to be a magical herb that many of you may not be aware of. Snake root is an herb in traditional Ayurvedic medicine that is of great use in dealing with anxiety, insomnia, constipation, fever, hot flashes, insect bites, joint pain, spasms, nervousness, mental disorders like schizophrenia, liver problems and many more.
It is surprised that people also use snake roots for healing profuse menstrual flow. The herb is widely used for menstrual cramps and premenstrual syndrome. According to the book Healing with of the Herbs of Life, snake roots can help cure pain and cramps of menses and control excessive menstrual bleeding flow. Therefore, you should not ignore snake root in the list of best tips on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding flow. This is what you need to do:
- Take four to five snake roots
- Wash them carefully with water
- Soak them in a glass of water overnight
- In the next morning, make this water boil
- Keep simmering under low heat for five minutes
- Wait for the concoction to be cool before serving
- Drink one glass of this liquid a day
Note: You can take ½ teaspoon of snake root powder with one glass sandal wood syrup as a replacement for the concoction of snake roots above.
22. Bitter Gourd
Are you looking for expert’s advice on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding naturally? Luckily, you can find answer here with bitter gourd. The herb has been tested and trialed in the research on reduction of menorrhagia in women.
Bitter gourd, also called Momordica Charantia or Karela, has the healing properties that may help clot the blood, then decrease the amount of excessive bleeding flow. Do not forget to give it a try as the best home remedy for heavy menstrual bleeding flow. It may be hard to enjoy the bitter taste of this edible gourd. However, that doesn’t make sense at all in comparison with uncomfortable symptoms associated with heavy menses. Follow the instruction below:
- Use a knife to cut bitter gourd’s skin
- Wash the gourd under running water
- Cut it in half and scoop the seeds
- Cut the outer green flesh into small cubes
- Soak the cubes in water for about 30 minutes to offset the bitterness
- Add bitter gourd, some slices of ginger and a cup of water in a blender
- Blend them well together
- Filter to get bitter gourd juice
- Drink a cup of bitter gourd juice a day during red dates
Note: Instead of making juice, you can cook many dishes from bitter gourd (karela) such as karela salad, stuffed karela with cheese, bharwan karela, karela aur Baingan ki Sabzi, Karela ka Achaar, karela Dahiwala, etc…
23. Banyan Tree Milk
We do not reap benefits from leaves, fruits, roots or barks like other tips on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding flow, we take milk from banyan tree. Apart from banyan fruits and banyan roots, the fresh milk from banyan tree is highly recommended for curing heavy menstrual bleeding effectively in a natural way. All you have to do is:
- Take one teaspoon of fresh banyan tree milk
- Dissolve banyan tree milk into a glass of fresh milk
- Drink the milk on an empty stomach before going to bed every day
24. Mango Bark
Mango bark is a wonderful option of the best tips on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding flow that we strongly recommend. It is a powerful herbal cure for poor digestion, heart disease, kidney problems, eye and liver disorders, scurvy, sinusitis, spleen enlargement, vaginitis, nausea, sunstroke, insect bites, bleeding nose and even menorrhagia.
The bark is believed to be able to lighten excessive bleeding during menstrual periods due to its astringent, anti-bacterial and anti-oxidant properties. Hence, many people think of mango bark first when they find out that their periods last longer than they should. Follow all directions below:
- Take some fresh mango barks from mango tree
- Clean them thoroughly with water
- Extract mango barks to get the liquid
- Mix 130ml water and 10ml extracted mango bark
- Drink a teaspoon of the mixture every one or two hours every day
25. Asoka Bark
Another type of bark that can be used as a best home remedy for heavy menstrual bleeding flow is asoka bark. Normally, you may think that asoka bark is useless, you do not know what to do with this bark. Now we want to tell you that you are totally wrong. You may be astonished at the bark’s numerous incredible benefits you’ve never known before.
Asoka bark is rich in aluminum, phosphate, silica, strontium, potassium, sodium, magnesium, calcium and iron. The bark from asoka tree is also composed of catechol, sterol and tannins. All these ingredients bring an overall healthy body and provide energy to fight against uncomfortable symptoms arising from menorrhagia. Furthermore, asoka bark has specific analgesic property that can be helpful in soothing painful periods. So, let’s choose asoka bark as the best home remedy for heavy menstrual bleeding flow. All you have to do is as follows:
- Prepare 90 grams of fresh or dried asoka bark, 30ml of milk and 360ml of water
- Add all the ingredients in a saucepan and boil them
- Use cheesecloth to filter the solution
- Cool down and divide the liquid into three equal doses
- Drink the solution three times within a day
- Start the process from the fourth day of your period
Papaya is quite popular to everyone. It is known chiefly as an edible fruit but it can also be used for medicinal purposes for improving heart health, aiding indigestion, relieving toothache, reducing acne and burns, preventing infections and arthritis, strengthening immunity, treating macular degeneration and constipation .
Specially, the fruit can greatly help women who are suffering from menstrual disorders like menorrhagia. Unripe papaya is not only good for delayed periods associated with menopause but also for the treatment of heavy menstrual bleeding. It is said to have papain that can regulate the blood flow and let it go back to normal. Moreover, the green papaya acts as a good and strong emmenagogue to soothe abdominal pain and contract muscles fibbers of the uterus properly. All these advantages make papaya become one of the best tips on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding flow. Mimic these steps:
- 2 tablespoons of roasted peanuts
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of fish sauce
- ½ tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 lime
- ½ of fresh green papaya
- 1 carrot
- 1 or 2 chillies
- A handful of basil
- Remove the skin of papaya, carrot and garlic cloves
- Wash papaya, carrot, garlic, lime, basil, chillies carefully with water
- Sliver papaya and carrot
- Use a mortar to crush peanuts and garlic
- Cut chillies into small pieces
- Extract to get fresh lime juice
- Add all ingredients into a large bowl
- Add sugar and pour fish sauce over them
- Toss them well together
- Enjoy the salad daily
Note: You can eat one bowl of raw green papaya every day instead.
Pumpkin is not only an edible fruit used for culinary purpose but also an important ingredient in medicines for eye disease, sleeplessness, aging, enlarged prostate, high blood pressure, immune’s disorders, cancer, and even heavy menstrual bleeding. Pumpkin is a nutritional food which works as a health booster.
According to Huffington post, one cup of cooked pumpkin includes more than 11 milligrams (approximately 20%) of the 60 milligrams recommended daily intake for women. One of the reason that causes menorrhagia is lacking of magnesium whereas pumpkin seeds are rich in magnesium – an important mineral to bring female hormonal balance. As a result, profuse bleeding is controlled properly. That is why pumpkin is used as the best home remedy for heavy menstrual bleeding. Points to remember:
- Take one fresh pumpkin
- Remove pumpkin’s skin and seeds
- Wash the pulp of pumpkin thoroughly with water
- Cut pumpkin’s pulp into pieces
- Leave them to dry under the sun or with the help of an oven
- Grind the dry pulp into fine powder
- Put the powdered pumpkin into an air tight container
- Add one or two tablespoons of pumpkin powder in a cup of yogurt
- Mix them well and eat this mixture daily
Note: You can use buttermilk instead of yogurt.
- Take the seeds from pumpkin
- Cleanse them with water
- Leave them dry naturally
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees C
- Spread pumpkin seeds in single layer on a baking sheet
- Keep baking the seeds for 45 minutes
- Stir occasionally until the seeds become golden brown
- Cool down the seeds and put it in a jar
- Eat a handful of roasted pumpkin seeds every day
Similar to papaya, radish is very popular and easy to find in many parts of the world. It is a home remedy that can effectively treat heavy menstrual bleeding without any medicine. Radish has been valued because of its variety of culinary uses as well as medicinal value. It has properties that can easily clot the blood, leading to lessen the amount of excessive flow.
Besides, consuming this crisp and pungent root of radish plant can aid balance hormone as well as prevent heavy periods. High content of vitamins and minerals in radish might replenish essential nutrients which are lost due to menorrhagia. Therefore, radish should be listed in the best tips on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding flow. How to use:
- Pick 2 fresh radishes
- Peel the skin of them
- Cleanse them with water
- Cut them into cubes
- Crush them finely to form a paste
- Add the radish paste in a cup of buttermilk
- Stir them well
- Daily drink this mixture at the time of periods
Tamarind is a great choice for those who are dealing with irregular menstrual cycle. The tangy tamarind is listed in the effective cares for skin, hair and health. Tarmarind, or Tamarindus Indica, has the ability to aid weight loss, control the level of cholesterol, prevent cancer, provide cardiovascular health, promote digestive health, improve nerve fuction, boost immune system, treat bilious disorders, jaundice, piles, mouth ulcers, malaria, constipation and diabetes. Especially, tamarind acts as an antiseptic agent and an active support for proper blood circulation which are good for getting rid of menorrhagia. Iron deficiency is one of the factors causing heavy menses.
Thankfully, tamarind is a powerhouse of iron that can keep this problem at bay. Furthermore, the fruit with sticky brown acidic pulp of tamarind tree is packed with fibers and anti-oxidants that are able to decrease cholesterol level, clot the blood and prevent abundant periods. Thus, do not hesitate to try tamarind as the best home remedy for heavy menstrual bleeding flow. Here is what you need to do:
- Prepare five to six dry plums and nine to ten tamarind pieces
- Soak them overnight in 500ml of water
- Remove all the seeds
- Grind all the ingredients in the next morning
- Add four to five teaspoons of honey to the mixture
- Mix them well together
- Daily consume the drink on an empty stomach for 5 days
- Pick some tamarinds
- Wash them carefully with water
- Remove skin and seeds
- Add tamarinds and a cup of water into a saucepan
- Cook them until they boil
- Add 2 to 3 teaspoons of salt or sugar according to your taste
- Enjoy the mixture with bread once per day
When looking for the best tips on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding flow, you’d better pay attention to neem. The Azadirachta indica of the mahogany family has been a traditional cure for lightening skin blemishes, clearing acnes, delaying aging, treating dry skin and dandruff, healing dark circle problems, controlling diabetes, curing asthma, ulcers, gastric condition, tooth and mouth problems.
You may be interested in the truth that the leaves and dried fruits from neem tree are an effective remedy for women having trouble with their period flow. This Ayurvedic herb is said to own potential anti-inflammatory anti-bacterial and anti-microbial agent that may set you at ease without worrying about your uncomfortable profuse menstruation. Do not forget to take these steps:
- Pick fresh neem fruits from neem tree
- Dry them naturally under the sun or use an oven as a quick solution
- Take 100 grams of dried neem fruits
- Grind them into fine powder
- Add ½ teaspoon of neem fruit powder in a cup of boiling water
- Leave them steep for 5 to 10 minutes
- Slow sip the tea on an empty stomach daily
- Follow the process continuously for a month
- Pick a handful of tender neem leaves
- Wash them thoroughly with water
- Add the leaves in a saucepan with one liter of water
- Make them boil until the mixture reduces to half
- Strain through a fine mesh to get decoction from neem leaves
- Drink the lukewarm liquid on an empty stomach every morning
Note: It is important to take note that you should avoid overdosing of neem leaves (exceed no more than 2 tablespoons of fresh neem leaves per day and one teaspoon daily if you use dried neem leaves)
31. Betel Nut
Areca tree is quite popular in the regions of India, Sri Lanka, Philippines, Japan, China, East Indies, and Africa. If you suffer from regular menstrual irregularities and heavy bleeding during menses, consume betel nut to ease the symptoms.
Betel nut, also called areca nut, is a good source of nutrients like alkaloids including guvacoline, choline, arecaidine, gallic fatty acid, arecoline, arecaine and tannins. Especially, the tannins present in betel nut with its estrogenic effect can help maintain female hormonal balance, boost the uterine muscles. Additionally, betel nuts are extensively used to treat yellow discharge from vagina as well as control the blood flow at the time of menses.
They are very helpful in reducing menstrual cramps and anemia. Hence, we are confident to inform you that you can choose betel nut as the best home remedy for heavy menstrual bleeding flow without a doubt. Let’s do as follows:
- Take 5 to 6 betel nuts
- Cleanse them with water
- Add betel nuts and two glass of water in a saucepan
- Bring them to boil
- Keep boiling under low heat until there is 1 glass of water left
- Remove the seeds and cool down the decoction
- Drink this liquid twice a day
32. Coriander Seed
One of the best tips on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding flow that we want to mention is coriander seed. Coriander, popularly known as Cilantro or Chinese parsley, is an annual herb with fresh leaves and dried seeds are often used in traditional cooking. Particularly, the seeds from this plant are a proven cure for a number of ailments including profuse bleeding.
Dr Indrani Jana from Apollo Hospital in Kolkata said that coriander seeds naturally stimulate your endocrine glands to secrete and maintain proper balance for female hormone. This is useful for decreasing pain due to heavy menstrual cycle and alleviating excessive flow. Moreover, coriander seeds also help improve uterine functioning and tackle profuse menstruation. With all these benefits, coriander seeds deserve to add in the best tips on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding flow. Let’s do like this:
- Put a teaspoon of coriander seeds to a saucepan with two cups of water
- Bring them to boil
- Simmer under low heat until the liquid decreases by half
- Filter through a cheesecloth or a mesh to get coriander tea
- Add 1 or 2 teaspoons of honey to sweeten the taste (optional)
- Slowly sip warm coriander tea 2-3 times per day during red dates
Note: If you do not have dried coriander seeds, you can make tea with coriander leaves and a half glass of water instead.
33. Mustard Seed
Mustard seeds are small round seeds of various mustard plants that are colored from yellowish white to black. They have been used for a number of purposes including cooking and medicine. The seeds have gained reputation for medicinal qualities such as their ability to help treat psoriasis, ringworm, menopause, high cholesterol level, aches, cardiovascular, contact dermatitis, respiratory problems, poison repulsion, and nervous disorders.
Beside their detoxification’s ability, coriander seeds can also be an effective method for skin and hair care. However, what we care about this special seeds is that they are natural therapy for the treatment of heavy menses at home. Drinking tea from mustard seeds regularly might help lessen uterine inflammation, prevent pain and menstrual spasm. Hence, try mustard seeds as the best home remedy for heavy menstrual bleeding if you are facing this problem. All you have to do is:
- Add one teaspoon of black mustard seed and a cup of water in a kettle
- Boil the mixture for several minutes
- Strain to get mustard tea
- Drink the lukewarm tea once a day
- Heat one cup of milk
- Add ½ teaspoon of powdered mustard seeds to the hot milk
- Stir well to dissolve the powder in milk
- Drink a cup of the concoction twice per day (one in the morning and one before going to sleep)
- Keep drinking during menstrual periods
- Avoid using mustard seeds if you have dyspepsia, gastrointestinal ulcers, irritated urinary tract and sensitive stomach.
- Milk thistle seeds have similar qualities, so you can use this kind of seeds instead.
34. Sesame Seed
Among numerous best tips on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding, sesame seed reveals to be an effective way to cure excessive menses naturally. The seeds are not only used in cooking but also an herb cure for many diseases including pregnancy related problems and heavy menstrual bleeding. Although sesame seeds, especially black ones, are small, they own a great source of necessary nutrition.
Numerous compounds in sesame seeds are good for balancing female hormone. Low iron and magnesium in your body may increase the risk of menorrhagia. The edible seeds of the sesame plant are rich in magnesium and iron which can be a supplement for the deficiency of these two minerals for your body. Now that you know the benefits, do not stop adding sesame seeds in you daily food. Let’s see what you have to do below:
- Make the sesame seeds roast
- Grind them into fine powder
- Keep sesame powder in an air tight container
- Add ½ teaspoon of powdered sesame seeds to a cup of hot water
- Stir them well
- Daily enjoy the liquid with little sugar if you want
- Drink this concoction two days before you expect your period
- Prepare one cup of black or white sesame seeds
- Heat a pan to make it warm
- Add the sesame seeds to dry roast for about five minutes
- Switch off the fire if the seeds are flavorsome and change color
- Let roasted seeds cool down
- Store them in an air tight jar
- Eat a handful of roasted sesame seeds every day
35. Fennel Seed
Fennel seeds are the aromatic seeds taken from the flowering plant of the carrot family. They are used in both cookery and medicine. Actually, the seeds have many ways to benefit your health. They improve digestive health, treat asthma and other respiratory disorders, benefits breast-feeding women, combat bad breath, fight diabetes, increase breast growth, lower cholesterol level, cure edema and candida, boost fertility, aid hernia treatment, promote weight loss, ease morning sickness, and enhance sleep quality.
Furthermore, studies have confirmed that fennel seeds are effective for the treatment of menopause and post menopause. However, the benefits do not stop there. This herbal seeds are also a powerful method for people who are facing excessive menstrual bleeding thanks to their phytoestrogenic properties. Therefore, it is worth noting that fennel seeds is the best home remedy for heavy menstrual bleeding that you should try. This is what you need to do:
- Crush one spoon of fennel seeds to fine powder
- Boil a glass of water
- Add powdered fennel seeds in the boiling water
- Let them steep for at least ten minutes
- Filter to get the tea from fennel seeds
- Drink the liquid when it is still hot once a day
36. Quince Seed
Together with fennel seed, quince seed is also one of the best tips on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding flow that we cannot ignore. Quince seeds are brown seeds taken from fleshy quince fruits. The quince fruits and their seeds are said to be beneficial in healing a wide range of diseases including menorrhagia. They mainly contain pectin, carotenoids, heterogeneous polysaccharides, coumarin, flavonoids and tannins.
According to preliminary study, endometrial prostaglandins are suppressed by micronized flavonoids which are greatly efficient in curing uterine bleedings. In addition, the astringent properties and tannins of the seeds are well known for boosting muscle of the uterus and bar you from uncomfortable symptoms due to heavy menstrual bleeding. Now, you can deal with menorrhagia the right way as below:
- Soak two teaspoons of quince seeds in three glass of water overnight
- Blend them in the next morning
- Add on teaspoon of honey to make the taste more delicious
- Stir all the ingredients thoroughly
- Daily consume this mixture for a month
- Take seeds from quince fruits
- Dry them and crush them in fine powder
- Keep quince seeds powder in an air tight bottle
- Mix ½ teaspoon of powdered quince seeds and little sandal wood syrup
- Eat the mixture every day from this period till next one
37. Banana Flower
Banana tree is quite popular in many countries. The flower of banana plant is inside the large and purplish blossom growing from the end of a bunch of bananas. It is believed that banana flowers are able to repel abundant menstrual bleeding.
The flowers can help by increasing the production of the progesterone hormone and curbing abundant periods. Choose banana flowers as the best tips on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding if you are a patient of heavy menses. Now, you are learning how to use it:
- Pick a firm and fresh flower from a banana tree
- Rub some cooking oil in your palms before cutting the flowers
- Open the outer leaves one by one
- Collect long pale yellow flowers under each leaf
- Remove the matchstick like stem inside the flowers
- Rinse them thoroughly with water
- Soak them in water with some salt
- Leave them dry and make them roast
- Eat the roasted banana flowers with curd every morning
Note: Yogurt can be used in the replacement for curd.
38. Hawthorn Flower
You should not ignore hawthorn flowers in the list of the best tips on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding. The flowers consist of trimethylamine compound that encourages blood to circulate properly. They also can ease abdominal pain, arrest the blood clots’ discharge and abundant bleeding flow.
If hawthorn flowers are quite popular in your place, go to get some and see how effective they can be in the treatment of menorrhagia. Do as the following ways:
- Prepare 30 grams of hawthorn flowers and 15 grams of saffron
- Add them and two glass of water in a saucepan
- Bring them to boil
- Steep for 5-10 minutes
- Strain to get the decoction
- Drink the liquid every day
Note: You should not use hawthorn flowers if you are allergic to them.
39. Tenner’s Cassia
Similar to hawthorn flowers, tenner’s cassia is also an efficient cure for women with excessive menstruation. Especially, the flowers of tenner’s cassia are considered as the best home remedy for heavy menstrual bleeding flow.
The most beneficial part for menorrhagia is the flower bud. Both flowers and their buds can work successfully to stimulate and control abnormal level of hormone in order that your periods can happen in a right way. What’s more, regular consumption of this flowers may support regulate profuse bleeding during the time you are at menses. Let’s have a look at how to use:
- Pick some fresh flowers of tenner’s cassia
- Wash them thoroughly with water
- Directly put the flowers in the canal of vagina
- Leave them there for about ten to fifteen minutes
- Repeat the process daily
Note: It is not recommended for those who have allergic reaction to tenner’s cassia.
One of the most helpful remedies to stop excessive menstrual bleeding is ginger. Ginger, also known as Zingiber officinale, is a thickened pungent aromatic rhizome that is widely used as a spice in cooking as well as a medicinal herb. It has been proven beneficial in heating a lot of ailments such as osteoarthritis, allergy, asthma, eczema, gout, nausea, vomiting, stomach discomfort, alcoholic fatty liver, oxidative stress, cardiovascular risks, blood sugar level and certainly heavy menstrual bleeding .
Ginger has the anti-inflammatory effect and acts as an effective pain killer which might assist in the control of extra menstrual bleeding. Ginger is not a placebo but it truly owns mefenamic acid – an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) pain medication that can lessen pain and cramps associated with heavy period. Thus, ginger should be counted in the list of best tips on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding. Let’s follow these steps:
- Take a small fresh ginger
- Peel ginger’s skin
- Cleanse it with water
- Mince the peeled ginger
- Add two teaspoons of minced ginger in a cup of water
- Make the mixture boil
- Simmer under low heat for 3 to 5 minutes
- Drink a cup of ginger tea after meals every day
Note: If you do not have a fresh ginger, use ginger tea bag to brew with hot water instead.
Garlic is well known as one of the best natural remedy against disorders related to heavy menses. Garlic, also Allium sativum, is used for various purposes such as cookery and medicine. This small round bulb is helpful for a variety of health conditions including menorrhagia.
There are three reasons why garlic is effective in treating excessive menstruation naturally. The first reason is that consuming garlic regularly may help dissolve the fibroids and polyps as well as regulate blood flow during periods. The second reason is that this pungent white bulb is a good source of allicin which has anti-oxidant properties and keeps a balance for hormone. The third reason is that garlic is packed with essential nutrients which can help maintain overall body health and effective function. Hence, you should note garlic with its extraordinary curative agent for profuse menses in the best tips on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding flow. Follow these steps below:
- Separate the cloves of a garlic
- Cut the bottom of each clove
- Remove garlic’s skin
- Clean the cloves carefully with water
- Finely chop garlic cloves
- Add one or two teaspoons of chopped garlic in a glass of warm water
- Swallow the mixture every morning on an empty stomach
In order to get rid of heavy menstrual bleeding, you can also try cinnamon. Cinnamon is the aromatic inner bark of the tropical evergreen trees belonging to the laurel family. Cinnamon barks are usually dried for better preservation. Practitioners of herbal medicine claimed that profuse menstruation can be treated effectively by cinnamon. Phyllis A. Balch a certified nutritional consultant cum author of the book “Prescription for Herbal Healing” said that cinnamon may inhibit a substance called thromboxane A in the blood making blood clump and clot. So, blood clot is lessened and promotes more normal blood flow. That sounds paradoxical but the process actually decreases uterine bleeding by stimulating blood flow away from the uterus.
Many herbalists also concluded that cinnamon can calm the uterine muscle fibers. It has astringent properties that can help close the blood vessels and prevent excessive menses. Furthermore, increased circulation and warming effect of cinnamon might be useful in the reduction of menstrual cramps. These advantages make cinnamon become one of the best tips on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding flow. You must be patient while using cinnamon because the result may take up to four months. What you need to do is:
- Prepare 1 cinnamon stick and 1 cup of water
- Bring water and cinnamon to boil
- Steep for at least five minutes
- Remove the cinnamon stick
- Drink hot or warm cinnamon tea daily
Do you know that cayenne can do wonders in your heavy periods? Absolutely true. Cayenne is popularly used as a spice in cooking. However, this hot biting condiment is more beneficial than you thought.
Have you ever used cayenne as a medicinal herb in the treatment of ailments? If you say not yet, let us show you how wonderful it is in the cure for menorrhagia. The herb is capable of balancing hormone and releasing excessive bleeding symptoms. Additionally, cayenne also control the blood flow resulting in alleviating abundant menses. So, do not use cayenne just as a spice only, take it as the best tips on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding. Instructions:
- Take fresh cayenne
- Wear gloves to wash and dry the cayenne
- Use a scissor to cut off bad spots and stems of cayenne
- Place the peppers on a baking sheet
- Put baking sheet in the oven
- Bake cayenne until dried
- Leave dried cayenne to cool down
- Pulse dried cayenne in a grinder until cayenne is at the desired powder consistency
- Sift through a fine mesh to remove the seeds
- Put the powder in an air tight container in cool place
- Prepare ½ teaspoon of cayenne powder and a glass of warm water
- Dissolve the cayenne powder and a little honey in water
- Drink this concoction two times daily during your cycle
Note: Do not use cayenne in case you have high fever, rapid heart rates, overheating or easy perspiration
44. Blackstrap Molasses
If you are looking for natural solution of how to stop excessive bleeding, pay attention to blackstrap molasses. Black molasses, or black treacle, is a thick dark viscous product obtained from successive processing of raw sugar. It is very useful for relieving various ailments, ranging from skin and hair care, constipation, obesity, headaches, stress to low blood pressure, high blood sugar level, enlarged prostate, diabetes, anemia, nervous problems, and cancer.
On the other hand, blackstrap molasses is a proven cure for excessive menses that many women pay attention to. It is rich in iron and magnesium which are deficient because of heavy bleeding flow. The anti-oxidant and anti-inflammation of blackstrap molasses are known to contribute to effective cure for heavy periods. Thanks to these benefits, blackstrap molasses has aided many women to get rid of fibroids – a cause of heavy periods and anemia that often results in menorrhagia.
Blackstrap molasses is said to support in decreasing blood clots, easing uterine muscles and soothing the pain. Moreover, it is also an all-natural vitamin supplementation which helps maintain overall health. The benefits of blackstrap molasses are so marvelous that we are convinced to put it in the list of best tips on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding. These two methods show you how to use:
- Buy a jar of organic blackstrap molasses
- Add one or two teaspoons of blackstrap molasses to a cup of warm water or milk
- Stir well with the help of a spoon
- Consume this drink once a day
- Take 2-3 fresh green lemongrass stalks or dried lemongrass
- Wash them thoroughly with water
- Cut them into small bits
- Heat up 600ml of water and lemongrass’ bits in a pan
- Bring them to boil
- Let them simmer for at least ten minutes
- Strain to get lemongrass tea
- Add ½ tablespoon of blackstrap molasses to a glass of lemongrass tea and stir well
- Drink the liquid once in the morning and once before going to bed
45. Cold Compress
Cold compress is usually the solution that women with profuse menstruation think of first because it is very easy to find some ice cubes in your fridge. Cold compress is used to constrict the blood vessels, ease the pain and reduce excessive bleeding during menstrual cycle. To treat menorrhagia quickly, use cold compress as the best home remedy for heavy menstrual bleeding flow. All you have to do is:
- Wrap few ice cubes with a towel to make an ice pack
- Lie down, put the ice pack on your abdomen for fifteen to twenty minutes at a time
- Repeat every 4 hour for several times per day
46. Oil Massage
It is believed that oil massage can do great in the reduction of heavy menstrual bleeding. Massaging on painful area can help decrease the cramps, soothe the pain and encourage blood circulation.
Coconut and olive oil are the most popular oil massage used in the cure for menorrhagia. Similar to many other best tips on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding flow, both coconut and olive oil have antibacterial, anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties which are beneficial in eliminating excessive menstrual bleeding. By regularly massaging with oil, your symptoms are released. You can do the massage by yourself as follows:
- Clean your hands with water and dry them
- Pour two or three drops on essential coconut or olive oil on your palms
- Rub against the two palms to make the oil warm
- Gently massage on affected area with your hands
- Keep massaging clockwise and anti-clockwise alternately
- Follow the process a few times daily during menstrual cycle
47. Iron And Magnesium
Iron and magnesium are two important minerals that can contribute actively in the treatment of menorrhagia. Why are these two minerals effective for curing excessive menses? Let’s talk about iron first. Heavy menstrual bleeding may result in anemia while iron deficiency is the main reason causing anemia. Researchers also said that low levels of iron can speed up menstrual bleeding. Therefore, iron supplementation can help cut down heavy menstrual bleeding.
The supplement of iron can significantly aid the production of red blood cell as well as control the amount of blood loss during menstrual cycle.to supply your body with iron, take iron rich foods such as seafood, broccoli, dried apricot, carrot, spinach, broccoli, resins, walnuts, cashews almonds, beans and so on. And how about magnesium? Magnesium helps adjust hormones properly including estrogen and progesterone and prevent excessive menstruation. Nourish your body with magnesium rich foods like banana, pumpkin, avocado, yogurt, dried fruits, dark chocolate, sesame seeds, flax seeds water melon seeds, cocoa, squash, oat, etc…
Note: Consume large amount of magnesium might cause diarrhea.
48. Vitamin C
If you are suffering from excessive menstrual bleeding and desire a nature way to protect you from that problem, then you may want to turn to natural vitamin C as one of the tips on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding flow.
Vitamin C is an excellent aid for absorbing iron and strengthening blood vessels. It can be found in lemon, orange, chili peppers, strawberries, mangoes, sweet peppers, kohlrabi, kale, pineapple, kiwi, grapefruit, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, guava, papaya, cantaloupe and many more. If you do not have much time, you can apply the easiest and quick way to consume vitamin C. For example, you make a juice by adding a few drop of lemon juice to a glass of fresh orange juice and drink this concoction 3-4 times per day. That’s the effective remedy you can try and get relieved from heavy menstrual bleeding.
How To Stop Heavy Menstrual Bleeding – Additional Tips
Apart from the above effective tips on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding, we also line out a number of other tips which are beneficial in arresting excessive menstrual bleeding flow. In order to manage and deal with your heavy periods, you should maintain good habits as follows:
- Do not forget to track your period regularly
- Avoid being dehydrated
- Eat greens and fruits that are full of fibers and essential minerals
- Do not consume spicy, salty and caffeinated food
- Relax and don’t be panic when seeing menstrual flow is heavier
- Take anti-inflammatory drugs
- Use menstrual cup for heavy days
- Avoid the imbalance of sugar level
- Consume iron rich foods or iron supplements
- Sleep enough
- Do not get involved in stress
- Do not use painkiller to cut down the pain
- Get regular exercises like yoga, bicycling, brisk walking, jogging and swimming
We have listed 64 helpful natural remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding flow in women that you can make use of them by yourself at home. Thanks to all these above useful remedies, you are now able to get rid of heavy menstruation by yourself naturally at home. There are plenty of effective options for you to make a choice. These remedies may work differently for everyone. Some may achieve fast result whereas others may not. It might take some time for these natural remedies to produce fruitful results. So you need to be patient in trying these methods. If you have any allergic reaction to one of them, avoid using immediately. Pay attention to the side effects and choose the one that works best for you. Do you know any other interesting ideas for the article “64 Best Tips On How To Stop Heavy Menstrual Bleeding Flow” that we have not mentioned? Please feel free to share with us in Home Remedies Category. Do not hesitate to drop your comments in the box below. We will reply as soon as possible.