Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach occurring before vomiting. Almost everyone experiences nausea and vomiting several times in their life, so nausea and vomiting become one of the most common problems in health. Generally, nausea and vomiting are not serious health syndromes. They are not diseases and usually the reaction of your body to a temporary problem such as bad smell, motion sickness, early stages of pregnancy, food poisoning, overeating, emotional stress, and many more. In most cases, people recover completely within a few hours or a day and do not need to see a doctor, but they may feel uncomfortable and want to get rid of this feeling as soon as possible. If you are one of those people who often suffer from nausea and vomiting, this article will give you the natural remedies to stop your symptoms from nausea and vomiting properly at home.
Now, before we take a deep look at how to relieve nausea, let’s obtain some necessary information about nausea and vomiting first.
Furthermore, if you want to know about the home remedies for other diseases, please visit our Home Remedies Page.
What Is Nausea?
Nausea, also known as qualm, is a feeling of unease and discomfort in the upper abdomen, which is characterized by an urge to vomit. Usually, nausea is not painful but uncomfortable in the upper abdomen, chest, or throat. Nausea is usually associated with vomiting, headaches, fever, diarrhea, gas, dizziness, stomach upset, etc.
What Are Common Causes Of Nausea?
The causes of nausea differ according to the timing of them and the patient’s age. Nausea can be psychological or physical and difficult to describe. However, we can see some typical common contributing factors causing nausea, such as:
TrueRemedies Partner Solutions
Need a Help from the Leading Expert Online, Available 24/7?
They’re all here and ready to answer your questions online or by phone. Keep asking questions until you get the answer you need.
- Drinking too much alcohol
- Food poisoning
- Brain tumor
- Hydrocephalus (water on the brain)
- Chemotherapy for cancer
- Gastroparesis, gastroenteritis (stomach flu)
- Emotional stress, such as anxiety and depression
- Viral infections
- Head injuries
- Pregnancy (morning sickness)
- Peptic ulcer
- Side effects of some specific medications
- Drug abuse
- Heart attack
- Liver and kidney disorders
- Electrolyte imbalance (high level of potassium in the blood)
- Vestibular neuritis
- Withdrawal syndrome
- Lack of sleep
- Ear infection (middle ear)
- Milk allergy (infants and children)
- Pyloric stenosis (infants)
- Anaphylaxis (children)
- Intussusception (children)
What Are Symptoms Of Nausea?
When a person prepares to vomit, the following sequences may appear as below:
- Stomach upset
- Contraction of respiratory and abdominal muscles
- Dry heaves
When To See A Doctor?
If your nausea has not stopped after two days for adults and one day for children, ask for immediate medical help from your doctor. Schedule a doctor’s visit if you experience these warning signs as below:
- Children under 12 weeks old have vomit more than once
- Feeling hard to wake up, looking sick, and continuously vomiting more than eight hours
- Blood, bile or fecal material in the vomit
- High fever, along with headache, stiff neck, and rash
- Having signs of dehydration
- Chest pain and severe abdomen pain
- Blurred vision
- Clammy and pale skin
- Being unable to eat or drink for 12 hours
- Severe headache
- Rapid breathing or pulse
- Being unable to treat by home remedies
Because nausea occurs for many reasons, it is especially helpful to report all the symptoms that you have to your doctor. Your doctor will diagnose the cause of nausea and help you find proper treatment.
Top 24 Natural Home Remedies For Nausea And Vomiting
While we are listing the scientific evidence, the recipes we've focused on are traditional home remedies so proceed with caution depending on your nausea condition. Always consult your doctor and take your blood pressure regularly to know if a remedy is working for you.
Ginger, or Zingiber officinale, is one of the best home remedies for nausea due to its amazing benefits. First, the phenols, gingerol, and bioactive substances in ginger help for the better digestive health bar the chemoreceptor that encourages the urge to vomit and relax stomach muscles. Second, ginger contains ascorbic acid, caffeic acid, capsaicin, beta-sitosterol, beta-carotene, curcumin, lecithin, limonene, selenium, and tryptophan. This impressive list may block your stomach’s receptors from binding serotonin resulting in increased nausea and influence the nervous system to reduce queasy feeling. Therefore, try to use ginger to get rid of nausea.
Ginger can be used in many ways as follows:
Method 1: Ginger tea
- Prepare a ginger tea bag and two cups of boiling water
- Steep ginger tea bag into boiling water for eight minutes
- Sip the warm ginger tea gradually
Note: You can use ginger powder to make a cup of tea.
Method 2: Fresh ginger
- Take fresh ginger and remove its skin
- Clean it with water
- Slice it into small pieces
- Eat some sliced fresh ginger
Method 3: Ginger and lemon
- Take fresh ginger and fresh lemon
- Wash them with water
- Peel off ginger skin and cut the lemon into half
- Extract them to get fresh ginger and lemon juice
- Mix one teaspoon of ginger juice and one teaspoon of lemon juice
- Drink this juice mixture several times per day
Note: To have a better taste, you can add one teaspoon of honey to all three solutions above.
Method 4: Onion juice and ginger
- Take one fresh onion and ginger
- Remove their skin and wash with water
- Press the onion to get fresh juice
- Use a grater to grate ginger
- Mix one tablespoon of onion juice and one tablespoon of ginger
- Consume the mixture slowly
- Redo if necessary
Cinnamon, also called dalchini, is the aromatic peeled, dried and rolled inner bark of the bushy evergreen trees belonging to the genus Cinnamomum of the laurel family. In many countries, it is a favorite spice that is used for culinary purposes like baked goods, oatmeal, and hot beverages. Surprisingly, its tremendous medicinal value is virtually unknown. It may treat many diseases including nausea caused by digestive problems. Thanks to its unique chemicals and soothing properties, all the awful symptoms of nausea caused by indigestion, heartburn, and gas disappear. In addition, many studies have shown that using cinnamon may help stop vomiting in women during their menstrual period. To try this effective home remedy for nausea, follow the steps below:
- Prepare a cup of boiling water, a ½ or one teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- Add the cinnamon powder to boiling water and let it steep for a few minutes
- Filter to get cinnamon water
- Put honey in the cinnamon water and stir them well (optional)
- Drink it slowly
- Repeat once a day until your symptoms disappear
- You can use the dried cinnamon stick instead
- Do not use cinnamon for pregnant or breastfeeding women
Among home remedies for nausea, we cannot skip peppermint. There was a significant reduction in the intensity and number of vomiting cases when pregnant women took peppermint oil. Additionally, peppermint’s aroma fresh scent and its volatile oil may help combat indigestion, gas, constipation, bloating, diarrhea, nausea, and many other stomach problems. Therefore, peppermint is very powerful regarding remedies for nausea. Do as below:
Method 1: Peppermint oil
- Put a tiny drop of essential peppermint oil in a hot cup of water
- Stir well and drink slowly
- You can put a tiny drop of essential peppermint directly on your tongue and take a deep breath as another option
- Be sure to use organic essential peppermint oil with no alcohol
Method 2: Dried peppermint leaves
- Prepare one tablespoon of dried peppermint leaves and a cup of hot water
- Add dried peppermint leaves to hot water
- Let it steep for ten minutes
- Clarify this solution to get peppermint water
- Sip it slowly
- Redo once a day if needed
Method 3: Fresh peppermint leaves
- Take some fresh peppermint leaves
- Cleanse them with water
- Drain them off
- Chew the fresh peppermint leaves directly
- Perform once a day for best results
Method 4: Mixed juice
What you need:
- Fresh peppermint leaves
What you have to do is:
- Wash peppermint leaves and lemon
- Add the fresh peppermint leaves to some water
- Crush them to get fresh peppermint juice
- Cut a fresh lemon in two pieces
- Squeeze it to get fresh lemon juice
- Mix one tablespoon of peppermint juice, one tablespoon of lemon juice and one tablespoon of honey and blend them well
- Consume mixed juice three times per day
4. Fennel Seed
Fennel seed is one of the home remedies for nausea and vomiting that we want to mention here. Fennel seed has an antimicrobial property and some anesthetic substances which help relieve nausea and vomiting caused by indigestion. Let’s see how to use the fennel seeds:
- Take one tablespoon of fennel seed
- Crush the seeds and add to a cup of boiling water
- Let it steep for ten minutes
- Strain to get fennel water
- Drink this tea one or two times per day
Note: You can chew fennel seeds instead of drinking tea.
5. Anise Seed
- Brew a tea by adding a ¼ teaspoon of aniseed to a ½ cup of boiling water
- Steep for at least five minutes
- Strain it to get aniseed tea
- Drink one time per day
Note: You can add some aniseed to some mild vegetables like pumpkin and carrot or try aniseed on baked apples and pears. Both of these two ways can be used as a light meal after vomiting.
Clove plays an essential role in healing nausea and vomiting caused by gastric irritability. Moreover, clove helps in encouraging digestion and soothing your stomach. To deal with your nausea, let’s see how to use below:
Method 1: Clove tea
- Cut some fresh cloves from a clove plant
- Wash them with water
- Steep them to boiling water for five minutes
- Drain to get clove water
- Drink it slowly
Method 2: Clove and honey mixture
- Mix some fried cloves with honey to make a paste
- Chew and swallow it
- Follow the steps one or two times per week
Note: You can use clove powder instead of fried cloves.
Cumin, also known as Cuminum cyminum, is a small aromatic plant of the parsley family with seed-like fruits that grows from the Mediterranean to central Asia. It has been usually used as a spice in cooking. However, it is also a potent herbal for medicinal purposes. Taking cumin when you feel nauseated will help you to get rid of the problem slowly. Cumin encourages the secretion of pancreatic enzymes, which is useful in easing nausea caused by digestive problems. As a result, cumin is recommended as one of the effective home remedies for nausea. In order to treat vomiting and nausea, follow these directions as below:
- Add a ½ tablespoon of ground cumin seeds in warm water
- Let it steep for at least five minutes
- Filter it to get cumin tea
- Drink this cumin tea once or twice a day
- Prepare one tablespoon of cumin seeds and a pinch of nutmeg
- Put these two ingredients in boiling water
- Allow it to steep for a few minutes
- Filter and drink it once a day
- Put one tablespoon of honey into a bowl
- Add some cumin powder and cardamom powder in the bowl
- Stir them well and eat slowly
8. Crackers, And Toast
Crackers have a mild flavor and are easy to digest. They help give nutrition and energy for recovering from symptoms of nausea. Follow simple steps below:
- Buy some dried toast, pretzels or saltines
- Eat one of them with regular intervals to stop nausea and vomiting
- Do this twice per day
- This is in accordance to what dietitians call the BRAT diet, used in the treatment for stomach upset, consisting of bananas, rice, applesauce and toast.
Chamomile is believed to be the best herbal tea for nausea and vomiting. According to the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, there are two types of chamomile used for nausea and vomiting, Roman chamomile and German chamomile, but the second one is more popular. The flowers of German chamomile has calming and soothing properties that may help relax the abdominal muscles, ease the woozy feeling, and lessen the symptoms of nausea.
Let’s do as follows:
- Put two to three teaspoons of dried German chamomile flowers into a cup of boiling water
- Leave it for three minutes
- Use a tea strainer to get chamomile tea
- Add a slice of lemon juice or some honey (optional)
- Sip it slowly
Note: Do not use chamomile for pregnant or breastfeeding women and people who have ragweed allergies.
Taking veggies is an excellent method that you should try to treat nausea and vomiting. This vegetable broth is rich in vitamins like vitamin A, vitamin C and minerals like potassium, magnesium, calcium which may supply essential nutrients for your body and fight off harmful bacteria when you feel nauseated, especially caused by gastroparesis. Do as the following steps:
- Vegetables such as carrots, mushrooms, corn, celery, tomatoes, etc.
- Seasoning such as salt, pepper, sugar, and so on
- Put all vegetables in a large pot and add water
- Heat this pot until it boils
- Choose one favorite seasoning, then put into the pot
- Turn down the heat
- Simmer the pot for at least 30 minutes
- Strain out all the vegetables to get the broth
- Drink this broth in the morning or anytime during the day when your stomach does not feel well
11. Sweet Potato
Sweet potato is the super-food that we have available all year around. The complex carbohydrate content in sweet potato helps soak up toxins in the digestive tract make food digest more easily. Sweet potato, along with its vitamin B6, potassium and magnesium, also aids in calming your nervous stomach, so get rid of the woozy feeling and stop symptoms of nausea and vomiting. Follow the methods below:
Method 1: Baked sweet potato
- Take one fresh sweet potato
- Wash them clearly with water
- Let it become dry
- Preheat your oven to 400o
- Place the sweet potato in the oven
- Bake it until tender for 45 minutes to one hour
- Wait for the sweet potato become cool a little
- Remove its skin and eat slowly
Method 2: Sweet potato soup
- One roast or boiled sweet potato
- Cinnamon powder, ginger, cardamom (optional)
- Two tablespoons of olive oil
- Remove the sweet potato skin
- Mash it with little water until it becomes smooth
- Stir this solution with olive oil in a pan with medium heat
- After 20 minutes, sprinkle cinnamon powder on the soup
- Let it cool down a little, then eat slowly
Note: You can use pumpkin instead of sweet potato.
12. Wrist Acupressure
Acupressure is an ancient form of healing touch therapy which uses the application of pressure (with fingers and hand) to stimulate key points on the body. Some of the acupressure points may relieve a variety of symptoms and pain, including nausea, especially caused by motion sickness. The easiest and best-known acupressure therapy is the Pericardium 6 point – P6 (also called the Nei Kuan point) which is located on the inner wrist. Here is how to do wrist acupressure:
- Hold your hand palm up
- Put your middle three fingers of your opposite hand on the inside of your wrist with the edge of the upper finger on the wrist crease
- The P6 point is just under your index finger, between the two central tendons which run from your wrist down your forearm
- After you found the P6 point, press firmly with your thumb or fingertips for about 30 seconds at a time
- Perform again on your other hand
- Apply pressure in a circular motion for a couple of minutes
Dramamine, or dimenhydrinate, is a medicine especially used as one of the effective home remedies for nausea, an upset stomach, and vomiting. If you are suspicious that you are going to be nauseous, induced by vomiting, then you should take Dramamine thirty to sixty minutes before starting the activity.
Note: Dramamine should not be taken by children under two years old.
14. Self-Care Methods
When you are nauseated, and you do not have any natural preventive ingredient around, you can apply some following immediate self-care methods to prevent vomiting.
When you are having nausea and vomiting:
- Stay seated quietly
- Find some fresh air
- Lie down with your head propped up
- Avoid moving
- Avoid bad smells
- Avoid acidic, spicy, fatty, or fibrous foods
- Avoid alcoholic and caffeinated drinks
- Relax by visualization and deep breathing
- Stay hydrated after vomiting by drinking the clear liquid
The best way to keep healthy in general is prevention. It is always better than treatment. If you desire to have good health and avoid nausea and vomiting, pay attention to these following helpful directions:
- Eat regular small meals and do not make yourself starve
- Avoid hard-to-digest food
- Do not lie down after eating
- Drink enough water
- Always maintain good personal hygiene by regular cleaning and not sharing personal items such as a toothbrush or face cloth
- Avoid emotional stress
- Follow the combination of BRAT diet (Banana, Rice, Apple or applesauce and Toast)
- Exercise your body (back exercise and neck exercise)
All these above natural remedies help you relieve symptoms of nausea and vomiting. Like many other natural treatments, it is important to try several of these home remedies for nausea in order to find the one that works best with your body. After that, it is confident for you to treat nausea by yourself at home. Practicing some of these methods, you will see how gorgeously effective they are.
However, all content provided is for informational & educational purposes. We recommend you consult a healthcare professional to determine which method is appropriate for you and to avoid the side effects when applying these methods. In addition, asking for healthcare professional’s advice may help you know that you have to take medicine or not, especially for children, pregnant or breastfeeding women.
Do you know any other interesting ideas for the article “24 Natural Home Remedies for Nausea and Vomiting Relief” that we have mentioned above? Do not hesitate to drop your comments in the box below. We will reply as soon as possible.