Toothache is a problem mentioning the pain and sores you feel within your mouth. It may be connected with underlying health issues such as tooth abscess, an impacted tooth, tooth decay, gum diseases, etc. In these cases, it is essential to consult your healthcare professional as soon as possible. However, why don’t you try some natural but effective home remedies for toothache introduced in this article beforehand? They are all time-tested remedies and promise to give you an instant relief if you follow properly. Let’s see what they are!
What Are Common Causes Of Toothache?
- Tooth decay:
This is the most common reason for a toothache.
- Tooth sensitivity:
If you feel pain when you eat or drink hot or cold food, it means that either you have sensitive teeth or you have a cavity.
- Some infections:
Sinus pressure is an unbelievable reason for pain if you feel aching in only your upper teeth and both sides of your face. Besides, the temporomandibular disorder may also be a culprit of toothache. This is a disease caused by dental trauma or injury directly to the jaw.
- Using the wrong tools for oral hygiene:
Toothache may visit you if you use inappropriate tools to brush your teeth such as hard-bristle toothbrush and wrong kinds of toothpaste. Furthermore, the sinful ways of choosing and using dental floss may lead to a toothache.
TrueRemedies Partner Solutions
Need a Help from the Leading Expert Online, Available 24/7?
They’re all here and ready to answer your questions online or by phone. Keep asking questions until you get the answer you need.
- Orthodontic alignments:
Retainers brace and dental alignment system may cause tooth pain and discomfort in your mouth. Toothache may be subsided for a few days after modification.
- Wisdom teeth or misaligned teeth:
The other teeth may be pressed by the misaligned ones. The consequence is the tooth pain and swelling within your mouth. Wisdom teeth may also lead to this condition when they push up.
- Tooth abscess:
Tooth abscess is the situation that pus is built up inside your tooth and gum. When dental abscesses occur, it has a high chance that the areas under and around that tooth are infected, causing tooth pain.
- Teeth grinding:
Grinding your teeth will put your jaws, gums, and teeth be under pressure and lead to toothache.
- Teeth Cracking:
When you bite something too hard, you fall, or something attacks your teeth, your teeth will be broken and leads to toothache.
What Are Symptoms Of Toothache?
- Fever and chills
- Bad breath in the mouth
- Feel awkward to swallow and breathe
- Gums are red or irritated
- Ear, mouth, and head are painful
- Lose tasting
When You Need To See A Dentist?
You should see the dentist if you feel these signs below:
- You have to suffer from toothache for 1 or 2 days.
- You have a fever, feel pain when opening the mouth widely, and have an earache.
- You have to endure severe toothache.
Top 44 Effective Home Remedies For Toothache Pain And Swelling
Cloves contain eugenol – a compound may trigger paralyze and kill pain, especially in dentistry. These methods below can make clove become an effective home remedy for toothache pain and swelling:
- Put some whole cloves on or near the damaged tooth and dampen them by saliva until they are softened.
- Contuse them by two non-painful grinders to release their oil
- Hold the soften cloves in your painful tooth for 30 minutes before spitting it out
- Repeat the process various times daily to relieve pain until you can go to the dentist
- Put 3 to 4 whole cloves into a piece of natural and thin cloth
- Wrap the cloth to make a small bag
- Use a hammer or a heavy book to grind the cloves inside the cloth
After completing the three steps above, you can choose one of the two steps below:
- Put the bag to the mouth and moisten with saliva to extract oil
- Scatter clove powder over the tooth
Method 3: Cloves and cayenne pepper
The combination of cloves and cayenne pepper brings you burning sensation in some first minutes, but it will soon help you relieve the pain. By this method, all you need to do is shown below:
- Grind some cloves
- Add an equal amount of cayenne pepper powder to the crushed cloves
- Mixing well and add a few drops of water to create a thick paste
- Roll a cotton ball to the mixture and apply it to the affected tooth as needed
- Make sure that you put the cotton ball with cloves and cayenne pepper off your gums and on your teeth to avoid irritating your gums.
Method 4: Clove oil
- Grind some whole cloves
- Put ground cloves to a piece of cheesecloth and then wrap the cloth
- Pour oil to a canning jar and put the piece of cheesecloth containing cloves to the jar
- Put the jar to a double boiler and let it be for 30 to 50 minutes, then let it cool
- To increase potency, remove the oil on the top of the jar
- Dip a cotton ball to the left oil and apply to the impacted tooth
2. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper works as a counter-irritant. It may be used to reduce pain in the teeth in deep positions and encourage local blood flow thanks to the rich content of capsaicin . You should follow these methods to get rid of toothache pain and swelling:
- Combine some tablespoons of ground cayenne pepper with a pint of strong whiskey
- Let the mixture steep for a fortnight. In this period, shake the mixture carefully every day
- Sieve the liquid to a glass bottle after 2 weeks
- Drop from 4 to 6 drops of this mixture to a cotton ball and apply to the affected tooth
- Repeat these steps as many times as possible
- Pour half of tablespoon of cayenne pepper powder to a tissue
- Wet your finger a little bit and dip it to cayenne pepper powder
- Put the finger to your mouth and apply the finger to the painful area
First, you can choose one out of these 2 ways to make a paste of toothache from cayenne pepper:
- Grind a few cayenne peppers and mix with water
- Mix ground cayenne peppers with ginger and apple cider vinegar
- After making the paste, apply the paste to impacted tooth directly
Redness, swelling, infections, and wound because of a cavity may be treated by using ginger root. It has anti-inflammatory properties, which are useful at soothing pain and swelling. Moreover, ginger helps reduce infections causing toothache. The function of the ginger root in relieving pain is just utilized if you do these methods below:
Method 1: Raw ginger
- Wash ginger root under the faucet of fresh and cold water
- Using a clean paper towel to dry it
- Cut a piece of ginger root, then put it on your mouth
- Bite it by painful teeth to take ginger juice
- Continue chewing for 5 minutes
- Swallow it or spit it out
- Repeat these steps several times per day
This method will be useful for people who can’t chew raw ginger.
- Slice ginger root and put them to a mug
- Pour boiling water into the mug
- Let it steep for 20 minutes
- Drink this tea and lap it around the painful tooth
- You should cover the portion of the unused ginger root by plastic wrap and reserve in the fridge
Method 3: Ginger and cayenne pepper
You can also combine it with cayenne pepper, which has capsaicin – a powerful substance in managing pain.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of each ginger and cayenne pepper with a little bit of water to create a saturated paste
- Dip a cotton ball in the mixture and apply it to the impacted tooth
Method 4: Ginger, parsley, and lemon
- Chop 2-3 inches of ginger root
- Put the chopped ginger root to a pot
- Pour boiling water to the pot and let it steep for 10 minutes
- While waiting for ginger to steep, extract lemon juice to a bowl
- Add 5-10 parsley leaves
- Simmer for 5 minutes and strain the liquid
- Add lemon juice to the liquid
- You can add a little bit of salt to increase the taste
- Sip this solution to soothe the pain caused by toothache
- Don’t use more than 4 tablespoons of ginger per day. Otherwise, your mouth will be hurt.
- You had better go to the dentist if the toothache isn’t improved after using ginger.
4. Green Tea
Green tea may help you recover from painful feeling triggered by dental infection. It is claimed to have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, which help treating infections triggering toothache. For those with sensitive teeth, drinking green tea helps strengthen their teeth and prevent them from getting infected. The methods below are useful for toothache patients:
- Heat water and use a little bit o prewar a cup
- Add 1 tablespoon of green tea leaves to the cup
- Pour boiling water over and cover it
- Let it steep from 1-3 minutes and then enjoy
- You can alternatively use green tea powder or green tea bag to brew green tea
- The appropriate dose of green tea for toothache pain and swelling is 2 cups per day.
5. Salt Water
Healing property and dental bacteria inhibiting ability help salt water become an effective home remedy for toothache pain and swelling. Doing the following steps will help you eliminate all nuisances caused toothache quickly:
- Add a teaspoon of table salt to a glass of warm water
- Swish this solution thoroughly, especially near the painful tooth
- Keep rising for 30 seconds and spit the solution out
- Repeat this process every hour to relieve pain triggered by toothache
6. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide has antibacterial properties, which may help to cope with oral infection and diseases. Gargling with hydrogen peroxide daily also helps eliminate the formation of plaque and bacteria in the mouth. By this method, all you need to do is swish hydrogen peroxide according to the dentist’s advice or as noted in instruction.
The pain of a toothache may be relieved wonderfully by using garlic. Having many medicinal properties, garlic contains allicin – a robust anti-microbial agent, which helps remove the infection that may cause tooth pain. These methods below are some of the most useful treatment for a toothache:
- Chew a garlic clove or put it on the throbbing tooth
- Crush a garlic clove well
- Mix crushed garlic with some black salt or table salt
- If you feel the mixture above is too dry, add some drops of olive oil
- Apply this mixture to the impacted tooth, hold it in your mouth for at least 30 minutes
- Do these steps several times per day to get its efficiency
- Combine one teaspoon of garlic with one teaspoon of peanut butter
- Put the paste to the impacted tooth
- Let it be for several minutes, then rinse it off
- Make a solution of 4 cloves of garlic, 1 teaspoon of salt, and a cup of hot water
- Let the mixture cool down
- Swish this mixture around the impacted tooth and gum area
- Do these steps as many times per day as possible
Tooth diseases and harmful germs may be eliminated by using onion. This ingredient will not only lessen the pain but also kill off bacteria which cause the illness. The methods below can help you get rid of all nuisances triggered by toothache:
Method 1: Fresh onions
- Peel and wash onion thoroughly
- Slice onion and chew these slices in 3 minutes to extract its juice
- You can alternatively put onion to the impacted tooth.
Method 2: Fried onions
- Cover fried onions in a small piece of cloth
- Put the wrap of onion in the right wrist if your painful teeth located on the left gum and vice versa
- If the painful teeth situated in the center of the gum, apply the bag to either below the thumb joint or any wrists.
9. Salt And Black Pepper
Anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of black pepper and salt help this mixture becomes one of the effective home remedies for toothache pain and swelling. You will realize immediate relief when you apply the mixture of a ¼ teaspoon of table salt and a pinch of pepper to the impacted tooth.
Myrrh may be used to kill germs and eliminate bacteria in the teeth and the surrounding areas. This ingredient may significantly support oral health by soothing gingivitis and removing a buildup of plaque, which causes inflammation in mouth. Myrrh will become one of the most worth-trying home remedies for toothache when these following methods are executed:
Method 1: Myrrh powder
- Simmer the mixture of 1 teaspoon of myrrh powder with 2 cups of water in half an hour
- Pour the mixture into a container through a sieve and let it cool
- Swish the solution of 1 teaspoon of the mixture above and a ½ cup of water from 5 to 6 times each day
Method 2: Myrrh essential oil
- Make a paste by adding some drops of myrrh essential oil to a little bit of baking soda
- Brush your teeth by this mixture
11. Guava Leaves
Fresh guava leaves are wonderful ingredients to treat oral problems thanks to their anti-inflammatory properties. They may soothe toothache and sore throat. Guava leaf juice is also considered as a practical option among home remedies for toothache pain and bacterial infection in mouth and throat. These instructions below are useful for toothache patients:
- Take some guava leaves and wash them thoroughly
- Let them dry and chew 5-6 guava leaves to let its juice heal your aching tooth
- Burn some guava leaves and use it as tooth powder for your teeth
- Mix 4-5 guava leaves with boiling water and a little bit of salt
- Swish this mixture regularly to soothe pain triggered by toothache
12. Baking Soda
Baking soda has antibacterial properties, which may help reduce infection and bacteria causing toothache and gum diseases. Moreover, it helps remove plaque on tooth surface – a risk factor for tooth infection and decay if not treated timely.
- Dip a cotton ball in baking soda and hold it on your teeth to relieve pain.
- Swish the solution made from 1 teaspoon of baking soda and a glass of lukewarm water
Dental decay and toothache may be treated by wheatgrass juice. This ingredient has healing properties, which may help reduce inflammation and prevent infection in your mouth. Wheatgrass is also rich in chlorophyll – a powerful substance that helps fight against bacteria. To extract wheatgrass juice and use it for toothache pain and swelling, you can choose 1 out of 2 ways below:
- Chew wheatgrass to take its juice and then spit wheatgrass out
- Swirl a glass of wheatgrass juice around your mouth and then swallow it
14. Vanilla Extract
Alcohol in the vanilla extract may kill bacteria causing toothache. It also has antioxidant properties, which make it work as an effective pain healer. Vanilla extract will soothe tooth pain and swelling if you apply a vanilla-soaked cotton ball to your sore tooth regularly.
Antimicrobial, antiseptic, and antioxidant properties of turmeric make it become an effective home remedy for toothache. Toothache pain and swelling will be eliminated by turmeric when you do the following methods:
Method 1: Potent turmeric toothpaste
- Make a mixture of 1 teaspoon of turmeric, 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, 1-2 drops of peppermint oil
- Use this paste as toothpaste every day to have white and pain-free teeth
- Mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder with fresh water
- Put a cotton ball into this paste and apply to the impacted tooth
16. Tea Tree Oil
- Dip a cotton ball to tea tree oil and then apply to the swelling and painful tooth
- Make a solution consists of 10-15 drops of tea tree oil and lukewarm water
- Swish this solution three times a day
- Make a paste from 1 teaspoon of turmeric, a ½ teaspoon of salt and mustard oil
- Cover the painful area with this mixture
- Mix 1-2 drops of tea tree oil with ½ teaspoon of aloe vera gel
- Apply this mixture to the impacted tooth, don’t swallow it
Thyme may be used to combat pain caused by toothache very well thanks to its antifungal and antiseptic properties. The effective ways to treat toothache pain and swelling by thyme are shown below:
Method 1: Thyme tea
- Mix 1 teaspoon of dried thyme with a cup of lukewarm water. In this step, you can also use thyme bag alternatively
- You can add a little bit of honey to taste
- Drink this tea twice a day
Method 2: Thyme oil
With thyme oil, you can choose one of two ways below:
- The first way is swirling your mouth with a mixture of a few drops of thyme oil and fresh water.
- The remaining way is rubbing a little bit thyme oil around the impacted tooth.
18. Oregano Oil
Not only does oregano oil kills off the bacterial triggering pain, but it also possesses analgesic as well as anti-inflammatory properties that will alleviate the swelling and pain associated with toothache. Carvacrol is the component responsible for this effect.
- Dip a cotton ball in oregano oil and put it into the painful tooth.
- Mix oregano oil with olive oil
- Dip a floss in this mixture and move it through the painful tooth
- Repeat this process in 2-3 days
19. Peppermint Leaves
Peppermint has an anti-inflammatory property, which may help eliminate swelling and soreness caused by toothache. It also soothes inflammation and irritation. These methods below are useful for toothache patients:
- Chew some fresh peppermint leaves to relieve toothache pain
Method 2: Peppermint tea
- Combine 1 teaspoon of fresh peppermint leaves with warm water
- Let it steep for 20 minutes
- Let the tea cool
- Swish it in your mouth and then remove it
- Repeat this process regularly
- Dip a Q-tip on peppermint oil and hold it in the painful tooth
In short, the above-mentioned home remedies are claimed to be able to reduce the symptoms of a toothache. Pick some of them and try to see how effective they are. If you have any contributions to this article “Top 44 Effective Home Remedies For Toothache Pain And Swelling” introduced in Home Remedies Categories, feel free to drop words under this post. We will reply as soon as possible.