About 25000 people suffer from sprained ankle every day, in accordance with the American Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Society .
Ankle joints are the body parts which are most prone to sprain. Most people have sprained ankle in their lifetime. Ankle sprain is an ankle fracture condition. The cause may be an ankle sprain when climbing stairs, or playing sports. Sprained ankle can cause severe pain, which can make the patient unable to walk. Fortunately, most sprained ankle cases can be easily treated at home with some helpful remedies.
If you are suffering from pain caused by this condition, this article is for you. Home remedies for sprained ankle which are simple and effective are what you need when faced with this situation. However, first of all, let’s find out the necessary information about sprained ankle to get the best view on it.
What Is A Sprained Ankle?
Sprained ankle is one of the most common causes of pain in the ankles, accounting for 85% of ankle injuries. This condition is often a sign that certain body parts are overused or stress. It can also be called a twisted ankle or rolled ankle. The pain usually means that a tea has formed in just one or more ligaments that support as well as stabilize the affected ankle .
Sprained ankle is a lesion in the ankle bone. It refers to soft tissue damage (mainly ligaments) around the ankles. Ligaments are strong collagen fibers that connect the bones together.
Sprain occurs when the ligaments are twisted and torn. As damage to the ligaments, the capsules surrounding the ankle joint can also be damaged. Damage causes bleeding in tissues of an ankle and causes it to swell. This problem is often caused by excessive force on the joint. The extent of the injury (from mild to severe) will depend on the severity of the ligament injuries.
Depending on the severity of the injury, an ankle sprain may be classified as:
- Level 1: The ankle is painful, but the ligaments are only slightly injured and they do not lose many functions.
- Level 2: The ankle joint is loose, the ligaments are severely injured.
- Level 3: The ankle joints are loose or unstable, one or more ligaments are torn.
An ankle sprain is a condition many people experience, especially those who play sports or exercise excessively. Ankle sprain causes pain, swelling, and bruising, which affects the mobility of the patient. Doctors often do not recommend surgery in most cases of ankle sprain. The treatment depends on the severity of the lesion. Most cases of ankle sprains are very easy to treat, and usually recover very quickly. If you just have a mild sprain, you will receive some tips to take care of your injury at home. However, after healing, the ankle will become weaker and the ankle sprains will easily return.
What Are Common Causes Of Sprained Ankle?
It was shown that sprained ankles and fractures are considered among the most common injuries to impact the legs .
Your feet can suddenly be stretched causing ankle sprain for a variety of reasons, including:
- You move on rough surfaces.
- You fall while you are walking or playing sports.
- Wearing sports shoes that do not fit or do not support feet well
- You often wear high heels
- When playing sports, someone may press on your leg while you are running, causing your feet to twist.
- You use improper form or have poor posture.
In addition, there are risk factors for sprained ankles:
- You have had a severe sprain in the past.
- Stiffness and limited range of motion because of conditions such as arthritis or aging.
- Loose ligaments, loss of cartilage in feet’s and ankles’ joints (like those of subtalar joint)
- Your muscles are weak.
- You often play sports like running, basketball, tennis, football and soccer. When playing these sports, you often need to turn your feet.
What Are Common Symptoms Of Sprained Ankle?
Here are the common symptoms of this problem:
- Patients feel something in the ankle area is torn at the time of injury
- Patients feel pain during injury and this condition can last longer, especially when they are moving their ankles
- Affected areas are painful, swollen, and bruised in later days
- The joint of the leg is loose or hard
- Ankle sprain cannot withstand the weight of the body
- The skin is discolored
In severe conditions, the patient may have symptoms such as painful and swollen ankle, or signs of infection (such as redness, heat, and pain in the affected area, or patients with fever higher than 37.8 degrees C). This condition can persist for several days.
You may experience other symptoms not mentioned. If you have any questions about the signs of the disease, consult your doctor.
Who Is At High Risk Of This Problem?
Ankle sprain is a common form of trauma in all ages. This situation can occur when you operate. If you are not careful, you may have sprained ankles at any time. However, those who have ever suffered an ankle sprain are the ones most at risk of getting this problem again. After being injured, their ankles become very weak and vulnerable. Therefore, only minor injuries can cause their condition to recur, causing a lot of pain. Consult your doctor for more information.
When To See A Doctor?
Beside the ankle sprain, there are other injuries that can hurt the ankle. If you have any of these signs or symptoms of sprained ankle or have any questions about this problem, please consult your doctor. The state of each person is different. So consult your doctor to select the most suitable option.
Ankle pain is a signal of structural defects. Therefore, the use of painkillers can only temporarily diminish symptoms. This does not bring about effective treatment at the root. Therefore, it is essential to see your doctor. He or she will diagnose a sprain with a clinical examination of your foot and ankle. They will move the ankle joint in multiple directions to check the movement of the joint. This process will be painful and uncomfortable.
The doctor will then ask for visual tests to have a more accurate assessment of bone and soft tissue, including:
- X-rays: Provides images that help doctors better assess bone status.
- MRI: If your doctor suspects a bone fracture, severe ligament injury, or ankle joint lesion injury, then an MRI is indicated.
- CT Imaging: A combination of X-ray images from various angles with a computer to create cross-sectional images that show more detail inside the body including bones and joints.
Here is the information you need to know about this situation. Do not ignore anything because that is very useful. It helps you to grasp your problem to get the most appropriate treatment. It is time to find out what the best natural home remedies for sprained ankle are. Take a look at TrueRemedies.com!
Top 28 Home Remedies For Sprained Ankle Pain
1. Cold Compress
This is the first home remedy for sprained ankle for you to do at home. When sprained, the patient should immediately apply ice. Whether the condition is severe or not, you should immediately apply cold compress, although at this time, the cold makes you feel uncomfortable.
You can put the ices in a cloth bag or plastic bag and put this ice pack on the sprained ankle after applying a thin towel over the skin to prevent the ice from touching the skin directly (to avoid cold burns).
When you have sprained ankle, the cold compress will work to relieve pain, stop bleeding, and reduce swelling. Apply ice to sprained ankle for 4 hours is the best. By day 2 or 3, you may soak your sprained ankle in warm water 3-4 times a day.
You should also place your ankle on the pillow when you lie down. Limit movement to avoid excessive blood flow to the legs, causing swollen feet. You can use a bandage to squeeze your sprained ankle and hold for at least 48 hours, but do not squeeze too tight for the blood can flow easily. If the bandage is too tight, your ankle may get sore and severe bruising. Understanding the mechanism of sprain pathology, orthopedic surgeons have devised effective treatments for sprains. That is the “RICE” method. This word stands for Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation .
Many people wonder if they should apply warm compress or not. If we apply warm compress, or use warm oil after being sprained, the bleeding will become worse. At that point, the sprained ankle becomes a “battlefield” because of the fight between white blood cells and the damaged parts after injury. After warm compressing, the patient may feel better, but sooner or later, they will experience more pain than ever because of more severe bleeding and inflammation. The swelling is worst due to poor blood flow. As a result, the patient may need up to 6 months to recover completely.
Among home remedies for sprained ankle, using milk is one of the most effective. If you are a woman, you will receive more benefit from drinking milk (nonfat or low fat milk), including prevention or treatment of sprained ankle. This conclusion is given from a new American study.
A total of 888 men and 1,260 women with osteoarthritis were included in the study for four years. As the amount of milk consumed by each consumer increases, the researchers find that joint damage in women decreases. Women who did not drink milk, drink less than 3 glasses per week, drink 4-6 glasses a week, and drink more than 7 glasses a week will reduce their joint space by 0.38mm, 0.29mm, 0.29mm and 0.26mm. Women who eat cheese every day can make the disease worse. For men, only people who consume large amounts of milk can improve their overall health.
Another must- try home remedy in this list of home remedies for sprained ankles pain is vegetables. As we know, calcium is essential for bone growth, and at the same time it has a great effect on reducing the risk of osteoporosis. Apart from the large sources of calcium such as milk and dairy products, calcium is also found in vegetables. Vitamin K, found in dark green vegetables, also helps in the metabolism of calcium and bone formation. The simplest way to speed up the treatment of sprained ankle is to add essential nutrients to the bones from the vegetables that are available in daily diet.
Here are the typical vegetables that you should add to your daily diet during sprained ankle treatment process:
- Bean Sprouts
The bean sprouts contain lots of vitamin C, minerals, amino acids, proteins, phyto-estrogens (especially estrogen), and especially isoflavones. They are antioxidants that help strengthen the bones and joints, helping to reduce anxiety about osteoporosis, especially in menopause, when the bone is thinning rapidly and increasing the risk of fractures. Although the bean sprouts are very good, but because there may be even poison in the raw sprouts, so you need to thoroughly clean them before using. Note that you should not eat more than 550g raw bean sprouts per day to get the best effect.
Cabbage is rich in vitamin K so this vegetable can help increase bone density and prevent hip bone fracture. Therefore, cabbage is good for people with osteoarthritis. 100g of cabbage contain 0.2mg of vitamin K while the amount of vitamin K that you need to get into the body daily is 0.03-1mg.To change your taste, you can substitute cabbage with broccoli, spinach, kale, and other dark green leafy vegetables as these vegetables also contain a lot of Vitamin K. Take the habit of eating them regularly to help strengthen the bones.
Spinach is a golden food for people with osteoporosis. Vitamin K, vitamin A along with calcium, magnesium and iron in the spinach help you have strong bones. Just a cup of fresh spinach (or 1/6 cup cooked spinach) is double your daily vitamin K requirement. However, spinach contains a lot of oxalic acid. Therefore, if you have kidney disease, do not eat too much spinach.
Potatoes are very popular, but many people are not aware of the importance of potatoes to the body and bone. The vitamin C content in potatoes is extremely high; it produces collagen that connects the bone tissue together. Although the calcium content of potatoes is not high, potatoes are extremely rich in magnesium, which can support the absorption of calcium very accurately and quickly.
Tomato is a food that is good for your health. It provides large amounts of vitamin K, calcium and nutrients to prevent aging, provide collagen for the body, protect the joints, and prevent degeneration. According to the researchers, tomato seeds can replace the aspirin that has analgesic and anti-inflammatory effects.
The next treatment in this list of home remedies for sprained ankle is eating more fruit. Fruits are not just delicious foods. Each fruit contains many different nutrients, they are rich in antioxidants and vitamins. Thus, they are very beneficial in the development of tissues and cell. They help you relieve the pain caused by sprained ankle and accelerate the recovery process of the ankle.
Here are typical fruits that you should add to your daily diet during sprained ankle treatment process:
Strawberries have been shown to help lower levels of C – reactive protein (CRP), a protein produced by the liver. Its high level is a sign of inflammation when you are suffering from osteoarthritis. In addition, strawberries contain a lot of vitamin C, folic acid, and rutin. These are essential nutrients for joints.
Blueberries contain high levels of anthocyanin. This is a natural nutrient that is concentrated in the dark blue shell of blueberry. This fruit encourages collagen production. Our tissues are composed of collagen, so eating fresh blueberries daily will help you fight off tissue damage.
Apricots are rich in botanical beta-cyptoxanthin, which has been shown may help prevent inflammatory forms of arthritis. Apricots also contain magnesium, which helps keep bones strong and relieve pain.
Cherries are rich in phytochemicals (nutrients that are concentrated in their shell). These nutrients help reduce inflammation. The content of anthocyanin in sour cherries may be higher than that of blueberries.
- Dragon Fruit
The dragon fruit contains vitamins C, B1, B2 and B3 and essential minerals including phosphorus, iron and calcium which are good for bone. In addition, dragon fruit also has anti-inflammatory effect. People with arthritis should eat dragon fruit regularly.
The apple has antioxidant properties and has been shown to help reduce C-reactive protein (CRP) levels. The apple shell contains the most beneficial substances, so when eating apples you should eat their shell.
This fruit is rich in vitamins C, vitamin B6, potassium and folate, which improves immune system and cellular activity. This is a great anti-inflammatory fruit.
This is the next one in this list of home remedies for sprained ankle. Proteins are essential for the body to produce, repair and maintain muscles. Protein deficiency can cause body fatigue, slow recovery, body aches. When you are sprained ankle, protein supplements are essential for you. If you want to avoid this situation, do not forget to add protein foods to your diet.
Here are the typical meats which are rich in protein, you should add them to your daily diet during sprained ankle treatment process:
You probably know that beef is rich in iron, but you may not know that beef is a good source of protein – a component that accounts for 50% of bone formation. Therefore, if you want to provide enough protein for healthy joints, no “candidate” is better than beef.
In order to regenerate bone density, our body needs vitamin D. In addition to skin exposure to early morning sunlight to regenerate natural vitamin D for the body, you need to add salmon to your diet as this is a huge “store” of vitamin D that any healthy joints need.
- Chicken Breast
The leanest part of the chicken is the boneless breast meat. Breast chicken looks a bit dry, but can be processed to taste better. 90 grams chicken breast meat contains 133 calories, 0.86 grams of saturated fat, and 27grams of protein.
- Sheep Meat
Sheep meat is fairly lean. 90 grams of sheep meat contains 153 calories, 2 grams of saturated fat, and 24 grams of protein.
- Pork Loin
Pork loin is rich in fat, but you can remove this fat. 90 grams of cooked pork loin contains 139 calories, 1.3 grams of saturated fat and 24 grams of protein.
We all know that massage is very effective in treat sprained ankle pain. Massage the sprained ankle can help this ankle relax and recover quickly. Massage also helps improve the blood circulation. This is what sprained ankle patients need.
To implement this remedy as a treatment of ankle area, please massage your sprained ankle area in a clockwise, then change the direction. Implement this remedy until you feel hot in your sprained ankle area. You can implement this remedy every hour for the best results.
The next treatment in this list of home remedies for sprained ankle is resting. Resting is important for the treatment of sprained ankle, especially for highly active individuals or those with work requiring standing. Change your current sports, think of swimming or biking, instead of walking or jogging. Change walking patterns and using foot protection to reduce pain from foot can also reduce the problems of your ankles, legs, knees, hips or spine.
8. Fix Your Posture
The weak ankles seem to be prone to rolling, and it could put you at risk for other kinds of strains which are tied to poor posture. The leg and foot muscles are strained to push the foot away from the ground by resorting mostly the pinky/outer toes. These areas are weak and are incapable of withstanding pressure of weight, thereby contributing to the formation of scar tissue in lower legs. When the legs are weakened, the postural problems could extend up to hips, lower back and pelvis .
Therefore, correct your stance and posture is very important when it comes to home remedies for sprained ankle.
This spice is used for not only cooking purposes but also treating different diseases, including sprained ankles or inflamed joints. It is because of anti-inflammatory properties which can prevent blood clotting, treat skin disorders, relieve digestive problems and improve circulation  .
There are a few ways to make use of turmeric as one of home remedies for sprained ankle. Some of the best are described here:
- Mix turmeric powder with lime juice as the ratio of 2:1
- Apply this paste on your affected area
- Cover the area using a bandage
- Leave it there for 10 hours or so
- Repeat this routine for one week for best results
- Mix turmeric powder and limestone powder with the ratio of 1:1
- Add some water to have a thick paste
- Heat this paste before applying to your sprained ankle
- Wrap this paste using a bandage
- In the next morning, remove it
- Repeat this for 3 days to see good results
- Add a teaspoon of turmeric powder into a glass of tepid milk
- Drink this milk twice per day to get a relief from symptoms of sprained ankle
- Repeat this routine for about 1 week
10. Olive Oil
Containing certain phenolic compounds which can lessen inflammation and expedite healing time, olive oil is worth mentioning in this list of home remedies for sprained ankle.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil up, let it cool down
- Apply tepid oil to your affected areas
- Massage it for several minutes
- Repeat this routine thrice per day for muscle relaxation
- Mix 1 tablespoon of olive oil with an egg yolk
- After stirring well, apply it to your affected area
- Use a clean cloth to wrap it, leave it there for a couple of days
- Repeat this routine for about 1 week
11. Cypress/Frankincense/Peppermint Essential Oil
In regard to home remedies for sprained ankle, there are some essential oils which are excellent in treating ankle sprains. In order to decrease inflammation while increasing circulation to painful ankles, you could make use of cypress essential oil. To alleviate bruising as well as inflammation, think of using peppermint oil and frankincense oil  .
What you need to do is:
- Mix 2 drops each of peppermint oil and frankincense oil together
- Add ½ teaspoon of coconut oil into
- Apply this mixture over your sprained area for 3-5 times per day
- Then, put a warm compress over that area for another 2 minutes
Note: It is recommended using this rub on your affected area after the initial 24 hours when the pain attacks.
12. Castor Oil
Castor oil is a triglyceride with a high content of ricinoleic acid. This acid is famous for its analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties. A ruptured, overextended or torn ligament in ankles could result in twisted ankle condition. Thus, castor oil with its power can relieve symptoms of ankle sprains.
All you have to do is:
- In a saucepan, heat about 3 tablespoons of castor oil
- Put the warm castor oil in a clean container
- Create a thick pad from a long cotton cloth by folding it several times
- Dip a cotton pad into warm castor oil
- Squeeze out excess oil and place the cotton cloth onto your affected area
- Use a long cling foil to keep it still
- Place a hot water bottle against the affected ankle
- Remove the cling foil, then take away the cotton wad
- Massage your affected area gently with castor oil remained
The heat from hot water bottle will accelerate the permeation of castor oil via skin, thereby healing ankle sprains.
13. Lemongrass Oil
Lemongrass oil is packed with analgesic, antiseptic, anti-bacterial, fungicidal, astringent properties which relieve the symptoms and pain in the muscles and joints accompanied by the sprain. Mix lemongrass oil and olive oil together as the ratio of 1:4. Mix them and massage it on your sprained ankle. Repeat this treatment thrice per day.
14. Sweet Marjoram Oil
With some therapeutic properties, including analgesic, anti-spasmodic, antiseptic, antiviral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, sweet marjoram oil could relieve you from ankle sprains.
- Fill a small tub with cold water
- Add some sweet marjoram oil into
- Soak a clean cloth into the solution and squeeze out excess fluid
- Place it over your impacted area to reduce pain and inflammation
15. White Fir Essential Oil
Not only is it a strong anti-inflammatory, but it is also an effective antioxidant. You can use it for multiple purposes, including healing sore and tired muscles.
- Mix white fir essential oil with vegetable oil as the ratio of 1:1:
- Pour several drops of this mixture onto your affected areas
- Massage for 5-7 minutes
- Repeat this routine a few times per day
Onion has anti-inflammatory property which can help in treating sprain ankles by reducing pain. Also, it can draw out the toxins while decreasing inflammation caused by ankle sprains.
- Put a large sized onion into a fridge
- Cut it into small pieces
- Mix them with a teaspoon of salt
- Place this mixture on your affected area and use a plastic bandage to seal it
- Replace this with the new one after 8 hours
- Do this method until you get desired results
17. Rosemary / White Willow Bark
Regarding home remedies for sprained ankle, consider using rosemary because it is great in anti-inflammatory property, relieving you from painful sprained ankle.
Follow these guidelines to take advantage of this herb for sprained ankle relief:
- Chop a handful of rosemary leaves
- Place them in a jar, add grain alcohol into
- Put them in a dark place and use a lid to cover
- Strain the solution by using a cheesecloth
- Keep it in a glass bottle which is dark colored.
- Apply it over your affected area if necessary
If you do not have rosemary, use white willow bark instead.
18. Cabbage Leaves
This is another must-try option among home remedies for sprained ankle symptoms, including pain and swelling. Cabbage leaves have a rich content of vitamins and minerals, helping reduce swelling because of ankle sprain.
To make use of cabbage leaves for sprained ankle relief, take the steps here:
- Blanch the cabbage’s outer leaves, then put them in a bowl containing hot water for 2-3 minutes
- After that, place those leaves under cold running water
- Wrap the blanched cabbage leaves around your ankle
- Use a long cling foil to keep the leaves still for 30 minutes
- Undo the cling foil
- Remove cabbage leaves
- Repeat this routine 2-3 times per day for good results
19. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is famous for its amazing healing effects, making it useful for some sports injuries.
- Extract the gel from a fresh aloe vera leaf
- Add glycerin in the gel to make it thicker (optional)
- Soak a cotton ball in this gel
- Place it over your affected area
- Let it dry naturally
20. Oil Blending
Do you want to get an instant relief from pain caused by sprained ankle? If yes, you should blend oils together to create a powerful solution.
Mix 3 drops each of wintergreen oil, peppermint oil, ginger oil, clove bud oil and frankincense oil
- Then, add 1-2 teaspoon of carrier oil like jojoba, olive, almond, or coconut oil
- Mix them well before massaging them over your affected area
- Repeat this routine 3 times per day
Note: If there is any discomfort or irritation, stop using this mixture.
To relieve symptoms of ankle sprains, take the following steps:
- Massage your affected areas with arnica essential oil
- Then cover it with a bandage
- After 5 hours, remove the bandage off
- Repeat this routine after several hours
As an alternative, youcan also use arnica balm or ointment 3 times per day.
Note: Some people might be sensitive to arnica, so you need to do a patch test before using it on the large area. Avoid using it if you have open cuts.
The roots of ginger are highly effective in decreasing sprained ankle symptoms. You just need to add 8 cups of water to a container, then add a few 2-3 inched sliced ginger into. After boiling for 5 minutes, leave it there till it becomes lukewarm. Soak a clean cloth in this combination and wrap it around the ankle. Use this remedy for 2-3 days.
Note: Avoid using the solution which is too hot because it might irritate your skin, damage the tissue.
23. Specific Techniques
Your doctor may recommend using ankle braces to fix the injury area in your ankles while you rest. Hold the brace from the foot to the ankle, then cross the leg. You should tape your ankles by using a medical cloth to gently tape your ankles. Do this remedy not too tight or too loose for the best effect. Brace your ankles so that the following layer of the braces overlaps 2/3 of the previous layer .
24. Epsom Salts
This remedy is one of little – known home remedies for sprained ankle. Compounds of magnesium and sulfate in Epsom salts help remove toxins as well as heavy metals in skin cells, reducing inflammation, increased blood circulation and relieve muscle pain, joint pain. Once the magnesium is absorbed through the skin, the analgesic ions will be released to help calm the muscles and nerves, help them function properly by leveling. In addition, sulfate also has the ability to eliminate harmful substances from the body.
Epsom salts have the potential to reduce inflammation, relieve itching, pain and achiness. Therefore, you can use Epsom salts as a treatment of sprained ankles. What you need to do are:
- Prepare 3 teaspoons of Epsom salts and 400 ml warm water.
- Put the Epsom salts into warm water then mix well.
- Use the mixture above to soak your feet so that your ankles can be under the salt water.
- Implement this method for 20 minutes then dry your feet with a soft towel.
You should use this remedy once a day for the best treatment.
Exercises are considered to be helpful remedy for restoring the ankles. It helps stimulate circulation in the area of your ankles, thereby relieving pain and helping the wound heal quickly. To implement this remedy, please follow these steps below:
- Sit down, letting your legs stretch out on the ground.
- Slowly rotate your ankles to tilt your legs to the left, holding for 10 seconds.
- Change the direction of your ankles to lift your leg the right, hold for 10 seconds then let your foot back to normal position.
- Try to pull your foot toward you but not to cause pain, then change direction and push your foot away.
- Apply this measure 10 beats per movement.
The above-mentioned natural home remedies are claimed to be able to reduce symptoms of sprained ankles. Although the home remedies is quite time consuming, their results are surprising. Choose some of them and alternate them in your treating to see how effective they are. If you have any contributing ideas about our article of “Top 28 Natural Home Remedies For Sprained Ankle Pain” introduced in Home Remedies Category, do not hesitate to drop your words below this post. We will answer as soon as we could.