Do you want a glossy, smooth, thick hair? But, the fact is that the hair grows just about a half inch each month. That is why you are reading this article on how to grow thick hair fast and naturally at home to jump-start the process.
Thick hair is something that most people would like to have. It does not matter your hair is short or long, having thick hair seems to look much better. The hair might be thin due to some reasons and climate is the big reason explaining why people have different hair thicknesses. It is shown that in warmer regions, the hair is usually thick while in colder ones, it tends to be thinner. On the other hand, some factors contributing to the condition of thinning hair, such as excessive physical or emotional stress, nutrient deficiency, hormonal imbalances, pollution, allergies, poor hair care regime, heredity or wrong hair care products.
If you want to have thicker hair but are impatient with the natural process of hair growth, then you do not necessarily have to compromise on your “beauty time”. Therefore, it is time to scroll this article to find out natural ways on how to grow thick hair fast and naturally at home!
How To Grow Thick Hair Fast At Home
Onion is rich in sulfur, which is one of the major building blocks of hair. This mineral may improve blood circulation while providing the hair follicles with nourishment. Also, onions have antibacterial effects, so it helps alleviate scalp infections that may contribute to hair fall or hair loss. In addition, this ingredient has enzyme catalase – an antioxidant which might prevent premature graying. That is why it is listed on this series of tips for growing thick hair.
TrueRemedies Partner Solutions
Need a Help from the Leading Expert Online, Available 24/7?
They’re all here and ready to answer your questions online or by phone. Keep asking questions until you get the answer you need.
To make use of onion for hair growth, follow these methods:
- Beat two large eggs in a bowl
- Apply it over your scalp and hair and wait for 20 minutes or more
- Rinse it off with a light shampoo
- Repeat this routine four times per week to get the best results
- Mix one egg yolk with one tablespoon of coconut oil or a specific hair oil of your favorite along with two tablespoons of water
- Mix them well and apply it over your scalp, then massage
- Do this once per week
Another good tip for growing thick hair fast and naturally at home is using eggs. They are almost always available in most kitchens. The nutrients in eggs increase the buildup of proteins in your hair, keep it thicker and promote new hair. Basically, protein is among the best things you may provide your hair to make it thicker, stronger and healthier. To take advantage of the eggs on your hair, you should follow these steps:
- Keep out juice from one medium size onion.
- Apply it over your scalp and hair and wait for 20 minutes or more
- Rinse it off with a light shampoo
- Repeat this routine two times per week to get the best results
- Take small onion and six hibiscus leaves
- Add some water and grind it well. Keep out juice from it. Apply it in scalp and over hair.
- After one hour rinse with water.
- Do this once per week
3. Olive Oil
It could prevent hair damage thanks to a warehouse of antioxidants included. These antioxidants may fight off free radicals while preventing them from trigger any harm.
Olive oil, in general, is very healthy for hair health. You may combine it with natural ingredients such as rosemary, almond oil, cayenne pepper, and castor oil to accelerate of olive oil. Apply some methods below to use olive oil for growing hair:
- Warm up an adequate amount of olive oil
- Apply it to your hair and scalp
- Massage it gently for several minutes to boost blood circulation
- Cover your head with a shower cap and wait till the next morning to rinse it off
- Redo this routine regularly to get the best results
Method 2: Olive oil, hibiscus petals and castor oil
- Mix olive oil, hibiscus petals and castor oil with the ratio of 1:1:1
- Heat the mixture, let it cool down to lukewarm temperature
- After straining, apply it over your scalp
- Massage for 15 minutes and use a shower cap to cover for 1 hour
- Rinse it off with a mild shampoo
- Repeat once per week
Also having antioxidants, castor oil may improve the keratin and make your hair shafts less frizzy and stronger. You may follow two ways below to combine olive oil with castor oil to create a homemade hair growth mask:
Method 3: DIY spray
- Mix castor oil and olive oil with a ratio of 1:4
- Stir well and pour the mixture in a spray bottle
- Spray it over your scalp and massage gently
- Wait for several hours before rinsing it off with light shampoo
- Repeat twice per week
Method 4: Olive oil, cayenne pepper
Cayenne pepper has capsaicin that may irritate your scalp and boost blood circulation to stimulate hair growth. Choose 1 in 2 ways below to carry out:
- Warm up a ½ cup of organic olive oil
- Put one teaspoon of cayenne pepper into to stir well
- Turn off the fire and allow it to cool down for some minutes
- Apply the mixture over your scalp and massage gently
- Wait for four hours or more before washing it off with mild shampoo
- Repeat this method regularly
Method 5: Olive oil and garlic
Thanks to the content of sulfur, calcium, and zinc, garlic may nourish the hair and boost hair growth. It also increases blood circulation, has antimicrobial properties that may cure scalp problems such as dandruff. Take the steps below:
- Crush 4-5 cloves of garlic and mix it with three tablespoons of olive oil
- Heat this mixture for several minutes to let the garlic gets golden brown
- After turning off the heat, cool down the mixture to room temperature
- After straining, apply it over your hair roots and massage
- Wait for one hour and rinse it off as usual with a mild shampoo
- Repeat this method thrice per week
Method 6: Olive oil and avocado
With rich content of vitamin E, avocado also has essential nutrients that can boost hair growth.
- Take a ripe avocado to mash into a fine paste
- Add 2 tbsp of olive oil to it, mix well
- Apply the mixture over your hair and wait for 30 minutes to rinse it off with light shampoo
- Repeat this thrice per week
As mentioned earlier in the previous way of how to grow hair thick with olive oil, avocado may make hair thicker because it moisturizes the hair due to the high amount of vitamin E. Follow these steps to have thicker hair with avocado:
- Mix one mashed each of avocado and banana with one tablespoon of olive oil
- Massage it over your scalp and rinse it off after 30 minutes
- Do this regularly to get the best results
- Mix two tbsp of wheat germ oil with ½ mashed ripe avocado
- Apply the oil over your scalp and wait for 20 minutes
- Wash it off with your light hair
- Use this method once per week
5. Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek seeds are good for your skin, hair, body, heart, digestion, etc. It is packed with protein which is beneficial for hair health. Also, fenugreek is high in potassium, which could prevent premature graying. The nicotinic acid in this seed also encourages the growth of hair and lecithin that energizes your hair follicles.
Use these methods to increase your hair growth with fenugreek seeds:
Method 1: Fenugreek seeds only
- Soak a proper amount of fenugreek seed overnight
- Blend the soaked seeds with lemon juice of water
- Apply the mixture over your scalp
- Rinse it off with light shampoo and water
Method 2: Fenugreek seeds and coconut oil
- Boil a proper amount of fenugreek seeds with coconut oil to make the seeds reddish
- Apply it over your scalp after it cools down a little bit
- Wait for 30 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water
- Do it regularly to prevent dry scalp and grow hair faster
6. Indian Gooseberry (Amla)
Also called as amla, Indian gooseberry may benefit your hair in many ways. In addition to vitamin C content, Indian gooseberry is very high in antioxidants which may keep your hair as well as follicles healthy by beating off damage-causing free radicals. If you use amla regularly for your hair care routine, it will strengthen your hair shafts and prevent common problems like split-ends and breakage.
You may use amla in different forms to reap its benefits of hair. Some highly recommended methods are introduced below:
Method 1: Amla and coconut oil/olive oil
With strong penetrative properties, coconut oil may be absorbed deeply in the hair shafts, thereby nourishing your hair.
- Heat two tablespoons of coconut oil/olive oil in a pan
- Then, add two teaspoons of amla powder into the pan and heat it again
- Turn off the heat, let the oil cool down
- Apply it over your scalp and hair, massage gently for 15 minutes
- Wait for another 30 minutes to let the oil absorb into your follicles
- Use a mild shampoo and water to wash your hair as normal
- Repeat this routine three times per week
Method 2: Amla and shikakai
- Mix two tablespoons each of amla powder and shikakai powder
- Then, add four tablespoons of water into to get a consistent paste
- Apply the paste over your scalp and hair and use a shower cap to cover it up
- After 40 minutes, wash it off with cool water
- Repeat this routine once per week
Method 3: Amla and egg
Eggs are packed with proteins that help in nourishing the hair shafts as well as follicles. At the same time, the yolk may condition your hair, making it more manageable.
- In a bowl, whisk two whole eggs and add a ½ cup of amla powder to it for a smooth paste
- Apply it over your hair and scalp
- Wait for about one hour before washing it off with cool water
- Repeat this routine once per week
Note: Do not use hot/warm water because it might “cook” the eggs on your hair.
Method 4: Amla and henna
Henna is a great ingredient for the scalp. It may unclog the follicles, remove the establishment of dirt and oil, and improve hair growth. This ingredient may keep your hair from graying.
- Mix one tablespoon of amla powder with three tablespoons of henna powder and four tablespoons of warm water
- Mix them to create a consistent mixture in a glass or plastic bowl, not a metal bowl
- Soak the mixture overnight
- In the morning, apply it over your scalp and hair and massage it gently
- Wait for 1-2 hours before washing it off with a light shampoo and water
- Do this once per month
Method 5: Amla and lemon juice
With rich content of vitamin C, lemon juice may boost the collagen levels, thereby increasing the hair growth.
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of lemon juice and amla juice together in a plastic/glass bowl
- Massage the mixture over your hair and scalp for 5 minutes before rinsing it off with water
- Do this 1-2 times per week
7. Castor Oil
Castor oil is a popular treatment for hair loss and a great ingredient for hair growth. The antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties of castor oil make it a great solution for scalp infections.
The high protein content also makes this oil a valuable ingredient for healthy hair. With antioxidants included, castor oil may support hair’s keratin, thereby making it stronger, smoother and less frizzy.
There are some ways you may use castor oil for hair growth, which are mentioned below:
- Take some castor oil to work it through your hair using your palm.
- Wait for 15 minutes and wash it with a mild shampoo
- Remember that castor oil is dense in consistency, making it hard to rinse it off. So, do not put too much oil.
- This method is the most effective on the slightly damp hair.
Method 2: Castor oil, coconut oil, almond oil, sesame oil
- Mix two tablespoons each of coconut oil, almond oil, sesame oil together, followed by one tablespoon of castor oil
- Warm them up for a little bit
- Leave it there for more than one hour and shampoo the hair to rinse it off
- Do this method once per week to get thick and lustrous hair
8. Aloe Vera
Another effective solution for those who are looking for thicker hair is aloe vera. It will help in restoring the pH balance of your scalp. Do the following methods to make use of aloe vera for hair growth:
- Take 1-2 aloe vera leaves to extract the gel and rub it over your scalp
- Wait for 30 minutes before washing it off with lukewarm water
- Do this 1-2 times per week
- Mix two tablespoons of coconut milk with a small amount of aloe vera gel to have a smooth mixture
- After applying it over your hair and scalp, wait for 30 minutes before rinsing it off with a light shampoo and water
- Repeat 1-2 times per week
To reap most benefits of aloe vera, you should consume one tablespoon of aloe vera juice every day before having breakfast to get better overall hair health.
9. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is one of the effective treatments for thin hair. The proteins in coconut oil are responsible for your hair strength, similarly to the proteins in eggs.
- Warm some coconut oil a little bit
- Apply it over your scalp and hair and massage gently
- Use a towel to cover your head to make the oil stay heated while being absorbed by your hair shafts
- Wait for 30 minutes before washing it with a light shampoo
- Repeat two times per week for good results
Garlic is famous as a remedy for decreasing hair loss. Thanks to antimicrobial properties, selenium content, and a high concentration of minerals such as zinc, calcium, sulfur, which are necessary for hair development, garlic may increase the growth of new hair and boost blood circulation in your scalp.
What you need to do is:
Method 1: Garlic and coconut oil
- Crush two garlic cloves and mix it with one cup of coconut oil or olive oil
- Boil crushed garlic in the oil and apply it to your hair follicles
- Rinse it off with a light shampoo and water
- Repeat this routine three times per week for good results
Method 2: Garlic and honey
Honey may strengthen the hair follicles while sealing moisture to the hair. It can not only boost the hair growth but also keep it well-conditioned.
- Take eight garlic cloves to extract the juice
- Mix it with one tablespoon of honey
- Apply it over your hair and scalp and wait for 20 minutes to rinse it off with a light shampoo
- Redo this method 2-3 times per week
Method 3: Garlic and rosemary
The combination of rosemary, garlic and castor oil makes it an excellent treatment for hair loss. They will work together to increase your hair growth and penetrate deeply to condition your hair.
- Mix five tablespoon of garlic oil with one tablespoon each of coconut oil and castor oil, then add a ½ teaspoon of rosemary oil into
- Apply the mixture to your scalp and hair and massage thoroughly but gently for five minutes
- Leave it there for another 30 minutes before rinsing it off with water and a mild shampoo
- Repeat this method three times per week for the best results
Method 4: Garlic and ginger
- Mix a piece of two inches of ginger with eight crushed garlic cloves
- Put them in a blender to get a pulp
- In a pan, heat a ½ cup of carrier oil and add the previously prepared garlic and ginger pulp to that oil
- After the pulp turns brown, you turn off the heat
- Discard the pulp after the oil cools down
- Gently massage about two tablespoons of this oil on your scalp
- Wait for 30 minutes to rinse it off with a mild shampoo and water
Method 5: Garlic, onion, and cinnamon
This homemade pack for hair growth may help regenerate your hair follicles naturally.
- Mix three garlic cloves, one small onion, one cinnamon stick with two cups of water
- Boil them up for 15 minutes
- After straining it, let it cool and pour the liquid onto your hair
- Wait for 15 minutes to rinse it off with cool/tepid water
- Repeat daily for about one week to see noticeable results
11. Vitamin E Oil
For many ages, vitamin E has been widely used as a home treatment for hair problems, particularly hair loss. It is high in antioxidants so it may fight free radicals. Also, it increases oxygen within your body and boosts the blood circulation of the scalp. If you massage your scalp with vitamin E regularly, it will reduce hair fall as well as split ends. Furthermore, it makes your hair smoother and softer. For dandruff problem, applying hot oil is very effective. To use vitamin E oil for hair growth, you may follow this method:
- Take an adequate amount of vitamin E oil and massage it over your scalp
- Wait till the next morning, then wash it off with a light shampoo
- Do this whenever you wash your hair
12. Rosemary Oil
This oil is made by the distillation of rosemary herb. Thanks to antioxidants, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory properties along with stimulants, this essential oil may boost the cell division and expand blood vessels, therefore increasing blood circulation. On the other hand, acting as a hair tonic, rosemary oil also accelerates the growth of hair naturally.
- Mix one teaspoon of rosemary oil with two tablespoons of coconut oil
- Apply it over your hair and scalp
- Leave it there before washing it off in the next morning
- Apply this method twice per week for good results
- Mix 10-12 drops of rosemary essential oil for each ounce of shampoo/conditioner
- Use it as your usual shampoo to get the best results
Method 3: Rosemary oil and jojoba oil
- Mix 3 – 4 drops of rosemary oil to one tablespoon of jojoba oil
- Rub it over your scalp for several minutes
- Wait for 30 minutes before rinsing it off with your mild shampoo
13. Argan Oil
Argan oil is one of the great oils that are good for your question of how to grow thick hair. It may stop hair loss, boost the scalp and hair health, and increase your new hair growth for both men and women. However, to make use of argan oil, you should exfoliate your scalp at first to unblock the hair follicles, thereby let the oil penetrate deeply into your scalp and do its task.
All you need to do is:
- Put several drops of argan oil on your fingertips
- Massage it gently on your scalp in a circular motion
- Start at the front hairline and do it across your head, down the back and each side
- Keep massaging for 15 minutes and rinse it off with water and shampoo
- Do this thrice per week to stop hair loss and regrow new hair
14. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil is used widely for treating hair loss and alopecia. Apart from increasing hair growth, it also decreases stress and anemia .
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of lavender oil, rosemary oil, jojoba oil and thyme oil together
- Apply it to your scalp and hair and use a shower cap to wrap it up
- Wait for 30 minutes before rinsing it off with shampoo and water
- Do it twice per week for good results
15. Jojoba Oil
Jojoba oil is renowned for its hydrating and moisturizing properties. It may stimulate hair growth by boosting blood circulation and naturally moisturizing your hair follicles. Also, it fixes damaged and dry hair.
Do the following method:
- Mix one teaspoon of jojoba oil with two tablespoons of olive oil or coconut oil together
- Apply it over onto your hair and scalp
- Wait for a few hours or even overnight and rinse it off after that
- Do this twice per week
16. Flaxseed Oil
This oil has a large number of fatty acids which could transform damaged, dry, and brittle hair to shiny, and healthy hair. Thanks to omega-3 fatty acids in this oil, it may enhance hair growth. Furthermore, flaxseed oil is rich in antioxidants. In order to keep the hair follicles strong and healthy, a diet which incorporates antioxidants is very vital. The lignans, a chemical compound found in flaxseed, are strongly believed to help inhibit 5α–reductase, which is an enzyme converting testosterone to DHT (dihydrotestosterone). In theory, the DHT hormone is the reason for hair loss.
- Mix flaxseed oil with a small amount of olive oil or coconut oil
- Apply it over your scalp and hair
- Wait for the next morning to wash it off with water
- Do this twice per week for good results
- It is crucial to remove to store flaxseed oil in the refrigerator right after using it to keep it fresh. Flaxseed oil requires refrigeration in order to maintain the beneficial effects and avoid spoiling. It might be better to pour the oil in a different small bowl and each time of using, you use just one of them.
- For better results, both externally and internally, you should use flaxseed oil which has been produced from the fresh organic flax with minimal processing and cold pressing.
17. Diet Changes
Apart from useful tips as mentioned above, a few diet changes need to be carried out to help stimulate the process of hair growth and prevent hair loss. You should avoid using processed or junk food, smoking, aerated beverages. Also, drinking plenty of water is very good for your scalp and hair health. Besides, you should include those fruits which are high in vitamins and minerals, along with vegetables, carbohydrates, whole grains, protein-rich foods, omega-3 fatty acids in your diet. They are high in phytonutrients which are great for the growth of hair. For example, you should add more protein-rich foods to your diet to boost hair growth because the human hair is made of keratin, a specific protein. Thus, you should add eggs, tofu, chicken, soybeans, kidney beans along with other similar foods to your daily diet. They are rich sources of proteins for your hair, which helps in promoting new hair growth and make your hair smooth and shiny.
18. Vitamin A
It is a beneficial vitamin for hair growth. However, too much intake of vitamin A also causes hair loss. Papaya, mango, prunes, carrots, oranges are some foods with a high content of vitamin A.
19. B – vitamins
B – vitamins also called biotin is one of the most effective vitamins for hair growth. Therefore, do not forget to add foods rich in B – vitamins on your daily diet such as whole grains, almonds, meat, and fish.
20. Vitamin C
Vitamin C may be useful in collagen production and beat off free radicals in your skin. Opt for fruits like oranges, amla, guavas, kiwis to eat if you are looking for ways on how to grow thick hair.
21. Vitamin D
Vitamin D deficiency is related to alopecia which is a technical term for hair loss. Thus, it is necessary to take vitamin D regularly through foods such as fatty fish, cod liver oil, some mushrooms, and fortified foods.
22. Green Veggies
Try to add more dark green veggies to your daily diet because they have iron which is necessary for hair growth
23. Avoid Hair Styling Products
Someone has been said that “no style is the best style”. This saying proves to be right about hair. A lot of hairstyling products have harmful chemicals as well as superficial agents, which could be dangerous to your scalp and hair at times. Although you might look attractive for several days at first by using hairstyling products, you never know how it impacts your scalp and hair in the long run. Thus, minimize applying of harmful hairstyling products such as serums, colors, and straighteners.
24. Avoid Using Shampoo With Sulfate
Over-washing your hair may dry out it, so you should use less shampoo to keep your hair hydrated. When buying shampoo, go for a sulfate-free formula because they often have less harsh detergents or even no at all. Thus, it helps preserve the natural oils of your hair.
25. Comb And Trim Regularly
You should comb your hair three times per day and trim every three months. In fact, regular combing, as well as trimming, is important for stimulating new hair growth. Combing is necessary because it stimulates blood circulation and hair follicles, thereby helps them produce new hair naturally.
The 46 useful tips on how to grow thick hair introduced about are natural and easy to do at home for most of you. You do not have to use professional hair care products to get stronger and thicker hair, just simply apply these methods suggested here with patience.
However, all content provided is for informational & educational purposes. We recommend you consult a healthcare professional to determine which method is appropriate for you and to avoid the side effects when applying these methods. In addition, asking for healthcare professional’s advice may help you know that you have to take medicine or not.
After following some of them, do not hesitate to share your results with us by dropping your words below this article. We will reply as soon as we could.
For further references about other topics of how to do “something”, visit our How To page.