Do you want a mane of silky, soft, touchable locks? But, the fact is that the hair grows just about a half inch each month. That is why you are reading this article on how to grow thick hair fast and naturally at home to jump-start the process.
Actually, thick hair is something that most people would like to have. It does not matter your hair is short or long, having thick hair seems to look much better. The hair might be thin basing on some reasons and climate is big reason people have different hair thicknesses. It is shown that in warmer regions, the hair is usually thick while in colder ones, it tends to be thinner. On the other hand, there are some factors contributing to the condition of thinning hair, such as excessive physical or emotional stress , nutritional deficiencies, hormonal imbalances, pollution, allergies, poor hair care regime, heredity or wrong hair care products.
If you want to have thicker hair but are impatient with the natural process of hair growth, then you do not necessarily have to compromise on your “beauty time”. Simply scroll this article to find out natural ways on how to grow thick hair fast and naturally at home that do wonders. Check out on TrueRemedies.com!
How To Grow Thick Hair Fast And Naturally At Home
Onion is rich in sulfur, which is one of the major building blocks of hair. This mineral can improve blood circulation while providing the hair follicles with nourishment. Also, onions have antibacterial effects, so it helps alleviate scalp infections that may contribute to hair fall or hair loss . In addition, this ingredient has enzyme catalase – an anti-oxidant which could prevent premature graying. That is why it is listed on this series of tips on how to grow thick hair.
To make use of onion for hair growth, follow these methods:
Method 1: Onion juice
- Take a few onions to peel and chop into small pieces
- After squeezing its juice out, extract the juice by using a blender, a juicer, grater or food processor
- Massage that juice over your scalp
- Wait for 15 minutes or longer if you could tolerate the smell, then rinse it off with your shampoo
- Repeat this routine daily to get the best results
Method 2: Onion and honey
- Put 1 tablespoon of honey into ¼ cup of onion juice
- Apply that mixture over your scalp and wait for 30 minutes
- Cover it with a shower cap and wait till the next morning to wash it off
It takes about 6 weeks for you to see noticeable results of hair growth. In accordance to a research, about 87% of the participants in this research noticed hair growth when they used onion juice twice per day. But, to reap the best benefits, use fresh onion juice.
2. How To Grow Thick Hair – Egg
Another good tip on how to grow thick hair fast and naturally at home is using eggs. They are almost always available in most kitchens. The nutrients in eggs increase the buildup of proteins in your hair, keeping it thicker and promoting new hair. Actually, protein is among the best things you can provide your hair to make it thicker, stronger and healthier. To take advantage of egg on your hair, you should follow these steps:
- Beat 2 large eggs in a bowl
- Apply it over your scalp and hair and wait for 20 minutes or more
- Rinse it off with a light shampoo
- Repeat this routine 4 times per week to get the best results
- Mix 1 egg yolk with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil or a certain hair oil of your favorite along with 2 tablespoons of water
- Mix them well and apply it over your scalp, then massage
- Do this once per week
3. Olive Oil
Olive oil is particularly beneficial for your hair growth due to some reasons below:
- It can lower DHT production. DHT stands for dihydrotestosterone, which is one of the major culprits of hair loss. Being a hormone, DHT directly attacks as well as weakens the hair follicles, thereby leading to hair loss.
- It could prevent hair damage thanks to a warehouse of antioxidants included. These antioxidants can fight off free radicals while preventing them from trigger any harm.
- It conditions and nourishes hair by increasing blood circulation, therefore strengthening hair follicles. The unsaturated fats and nutrients in olive oil can nourish the scalp and hair.
- It has anti-microbial properties that combat bacteria and fungus causing scalp infections such as dandruff, clogged follicles and itching that are the causes of hair fall.
Olive oil, in general, is very healthful for hair health. You can combine it with naturally ingredients such as rosemary, almond oil, cayenne pepper, and castor oil to accelerate of olive oil. Apply some methods below to use olive oil for growing hair:
- Warm up an adequate amount of olive oil
- Apply it to your hair and scalp
- Massage it gently for several minutes to boost blood circulation
- Cover your head with a shower cap and wait till the next morning to rinse it off
- Redo this routine regularly to get the best results
Also having antioxidants, castor oil can improve the keratin and make your hair shafts less frizzy and stronger. You can follow two ways below to combine olive oil with castor oil to create a homemade hair growth mask:
Way 1: Olive oil, hibiscus petals and castor oil
- Mix olive oil, hibiscus petals and castor oil with the ratio of 1:1:1
- Heat the mixture, let it cool down to tepid temperature
- After straining, apply it over your scalp
- Massage for 15 minutes and use a shower cap to cover for 1 hour
- Rinse it off with mild shampoo
- Repeat once per week
Way 2: DIY spray
- Mix castor oil and olive oil with the ratio of 1:4
- Stir well and pour the mixture in a spray bottle
- Spray it over your scalp and massage gently
- Wait for several hours before rinsing it off with light shampoo
- Repeat twice per week
Method 3: Olive oil, cayenne pepper
Cayenne pepper has capsaicin that can irritate your scalp and boost blood circulation to stimulate hair growth. Choose 1 in 2 ways below to carry out:
- Warm up ½ cup of organic olive oil
- Put 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper into to stir well
- Turn off the fire and allow it to cool down for some minutes
- Apply the mixture over your scalp and massage gently
- Wait for 4 hours or more before washing it off with mild shampoo
- Repeat this method regularly
Method 4: Olive oil and garlic
Thanks to the content of sulfur, calcium and zinc, garlic can nourish the hair and boost hair growth. It also boosts blood circulation, has anti-microbial properties that can cure scalp problems such dandruff. Take the steps below:
- Crush 4-5 cloves of garlic and mix it with 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Heat this mixture for several minutes to let the garlic gets golden brown
- After turning off the heat, cool down the mixture to the room temperature
- After straining, apply it over your hair roots and massage
- Wait for 1 hour and rinse it off as normal with mild shampoo
- Repeat this method thrice per week
Method 5: Olive oil and avocado
With rich content of vitamin E, avocado also has essential nutrients that can boost hair growth.
- Take a ripe avocado to mash into a fine paste
- Add 2 tbsp of olive oil to it, mix well
- Apply the mixture over your hair and wait for 30 minutes to rinse it off with light shampoo
- Repeat this thrice per week
As mentioned earlier in the previous way of how to grow hair thick with olive oil, avocado can get hair thicker because it moisturizes the hair and add nutrients, particularly vitamin E to your hair. Follow these steps to know how to grow thick hair with avocado:
- Mix 1 mashed each of avocado and banana with 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Massage it over your scalp and rinse it off after 30 minutes
- Do this regularly to get the best results
- Mix 2 tbsp of wheatgerm oil with ½ mashed ripe avocado
- Apply the oil over your scalp and wait for 20 minutes
- Wash it off with your light hair
- Use this method once per week
5. How To Grow Thick Hair – Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek seeds are good for your skin, hair, body, heart, digestion, etc. It is packed with protein which is beneficial for hair health. Also, fenugreek is high in potassium, which could prevent premature graying. The nicotinic acid in this seed also encourages he growth of hair and lecithin that energizes your hair follicles.
Use these methods to increase your hair growth with fenugreek seeds:
Method 1: Fenugreek seeds only
- Soak a proper amount of fenugreek seed overnight
- Blend the soaked seeds with lemon juice of water
- Apply the mixture over your scalp
- Rinse it off with light shampoo and water
Method 2: Fenugreek seeds and coconut oil
- Boil a proper amount of fenugreek seeds with coconut oil to make the seeds reddish
- Apply it over your scalp after it cools down a little bit
- Wait for 30 minutes before rinsing it off with tepid water
- Do it on a regular basis to prevent dry scalp and grow hair faster
6. Indian Gooseberry (Amla)
Also called as amla, Indian gooseberry can benefit your hair in many ways. In addition to vitamin C content, Indian gooseberry is very high in antioxidants which can keep your hair as well as follicles healthy by beating off damage-causing free radicals. If you use amla regularly for your hair care routine, it will strengthen your hair shafts and prevent common problems like split-ends and breakage. You can use amla in different forms to reap its benefits of hair. Some highly recommended methods are introduced below:
Method 1: Amla and coconut oil/olive oil
With strong penetrative properties, coconut oil can be absorbed deeply in the hair shafts, thereby nourishing your hair.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of coconut oil/olive oil in a pan
- Then, add 2 teaspoons of amla powder into the pan and heat it again
- Turn off the heat, let the oil cool down
- Apply it over your scalp and hair, massage gently for 15 minutes
- Wait for another 30 minutes to let the oil absorb into your follicles
- Use a mild shampoo and water to wash your hair as normal
- Repeat this routine 3 times per week
Method 2: Amla and shikakai
- Mix 2 tablespoons each of amla powder and shikakai powder
- Then, add 4 tablespoons of water into to get a consistent paste
- Apply the paste over your scalp and hair and use a shower cap to cover it up
- After 40 minutes, wash it off with cool water
- Repeat this routine once per week
Method 3: Amla and egg
Eggs are packed with proteins that help in nourishing the hair shafts as well as follicles. At the same time, the yolk can condition your hair, making it more manageable.
- In a bowl, whisk 2 whole eggs together and add ½ cup of amla powder into to wait for et a smooth paste
- Apply it over your hair and scalp
- Wait for about 1 hour before washing it off with cool water
- Repeat this routine once per week
Note: Do not use hot/warm water because it might “cook” the eggs on your hair.
Method 4: Amla and henna
Henna is a great ingredient for the scalp. It can unclog the follicles, remove the establishment of dirt and oil, and improve hair growth. This ingredient can keep your hair from graying.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of amla powder with 3 tablespoons of henna powder and 4 tablespoons of warm water
- Mix them to create a consistent mixture in a glass or plastic bowl, not a metal bowl
- Soak the mixture overnight
- In the morning, apply it over your scalp and hair and massage it gently
- Wait for 1-2 hours before washing it off with a light shampoo and water
- Do this once per month
Method 5: Amla and lemon juice
With rich content of vitamin C, lemon juice can boost the collagen levels, thereby boosting the hair growth.
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of lemon juice and amla juice together in a plastic/glass bowl
- Massage the mixture over your hair and scalp for 5 minutes before rinsing it off with water
- Do this 1-2 times per week
7. Castor Oil
Castor oil with its viscosity can coat the hair thoroughly and protect your hair against hair fall. Moreover, castor oil is high in vitamin E along with fatty acids, thereby promoting hair growth. What you need to do is:
Castoi oil is a popular treatment for hair loss and a great ingredient for hair growth. The antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties of castor oil make it a great solution for scalp infections. The high protein content also makes this oil a valuable ingredient for healthy hair. With antioxidants included, castor oil can support hair’s keratin, thereby making it stronger, smoother and less frizzy.
There are some ways you can use castor oil for hair growth, which are mentioned below:
- Take some castor oil to work it through your hair using your palm.
- Wait for 15 minutes and wash it with a mild shampoo
- Remember that castor oil is dense in consistency, making it hard to rinse it off. So, do not put too much oil.
- This method is the most effective on the slightly damp hair.
Method 2: Castor oil, coconut oil, almond oil, sesame oil
- Mix 2 tablespoons each of coconut oil, almond oil, sesame oil together, followed by 1 tablespoon of castor oil
- Warm up them for a little bit
- Leave it there for more than 1 hour and shampoo the hair to rinse it off
- Do this method once per week to get thick and lustrous hair
8. How To Grow Thick Hair – Aloe Vera
Another effective solution for those who are looking for tips on how to grow thick hair is aloe vera. It will help in restoring pH balance of your scalp. Do the following methods to make use of aloe vera for hair growth:
- Take 1-2 aloe vera leaves to extract the gel and rub it over your scalp
- Wait for 30 minutes prior to washing it off with tepid water
- Do this 1-2 times per week
- Mix 2 tablespoons of coconut milk with a small amount of aloe vera gel to have a smooth mixture
- After applying it over your hair and scalp, wait for 30 minutes before rinsing it off with a light shampoo and water
- Repeat 1-2 times per week
To reap most benefits of aloe vera, you should consume 1 tablespoon of aloe vera juice every day before having a breakfast to get better overall hair health.
If you are a woman, besides the hair beauty, you may also care for the beauty of your breasts, right? In such case, do not skip these Home Remedies For Breast Enlargement & Firmness
9. Henna Leaves
Due to its cooling effect, henna leaves can make hair softer, thicker and less prone to hair breakage. You can use henna as an excellent condition to your hair. It can restore natural acid alkaline balance on your scalp, decrease hair fall and scalp issues.
- Boil ¼ kg of gingili oil till it becomes heat
- Then, add 5 cups of henna powder into and boil up for 5-6 minutes
- After it cools down, store it in a bottle to use for the next times
- Apply this oil over your hair and scalp for twice or thrice per week for about 2 months
Method 2: Henna and mustard oil
- Add 250 ml of mustard oil into a bowl and add several henna leaves to that bowl
- Boil it, then leave it cool down to the room temperature
- Use a muslin cloth to help save the oil
- Store it in the airtight container
- Add some lemon juice or fresh curd to the oil
- Apply the mixture over your hair and scalp to get the best results
Method 3: Henna, black pepper corn, and coriander
This homemade hair pack is useful for preventing hair fall. Black pepper and coriander are one of the best cures for hair fall.
- Soak henna leaves in water overnight and make a paste from them
- Mix black pepper corn, coriander leaves with henna paste
- After mixing well, apply it to your hair roots
- Wait for 2 hours before shampooing it with a light shampoo
Method 4: Henna leaves and green tea
- Mix henna powder with sufficient amount of green tea to have a good paste with yogurt-like consistency
- Leave it there overnight
- The next day, add a raw egg and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice to the mixture
- Apply it over your hair and scalp and wash it off with light shampoo and water
Caution: Wear gloves if using henna and use a hair brush to avoid staining.
10. How To Grow Thick Hair – Orange Juice
This is a great way to increase hair growth and makes your hair smell refreshing. It is also excellent for hair dandruff. What you have to do is:
- Take a sliced orange to peel, and blend it using a food processor so you will get a good pulp
- Apply the pulp to your hair and wait for 20 minutes
- Do it once per week to get thicker, and fuller hair in a few months
- Mix apple puree and orange juice with the ratio of 1:1
- Apply it over your hair and scalp for 30 minutes for 1-2 times per week
- Rinse well with water after that
11. How To Grow Thick Hair – Coconut Oil
Being a great essential oil for hair health, coconut oil can get your hair thicker if used as a treatment . The proteins included in coconut oil are responsible for your hair strength, similarly to the proteins in eggs.
- Warm some coconut oil a little bit
- Apply it over your scalp and hair and massage gently
- Use a towel to cover your head to make the oil stay heated whilst being absorbed by your hair shafts
- Wait for 30 minutes before washing it with a light shampoo
- Repeat 2 times per week for good results
Garlic is famous as a remedy for decreasing hair loss. It can increase the growth of new hair and boost blood circulation in your scalp. All of such powers are thanks to antimicrobial properties, selenium content, and a high concentration of minerals such as zinc, calcium, sulfur, which are necessary for hair development  .
What you need to do is:
Method 1: Garlic and coconut oil
- Crush 2 garlic cloves and mix it with 1 cup of coconut oil or olive oil
- Boil crushed garlic in the oil and apply it to your hair follicles
- Rinse it off with a light shampoo and water
- Repeat this routine 3 times per week for good results
Method 2: Garlic and honey
Honey has an ability of strengthen the hair follicles while sealing moisture to the hair. It can not only boost the hair growth but also keep it well-conditioned.
- Take 8 garlic cloves to extract the juice
- Mix it with 1 tablespoon of honey
- Apply it over your hair and scalp and wait for 20 minutes to rinse it off with a light shampoo
- Redo this method 2-3 times per week
Method 3: Garlic and rosemary
The combination of rosemary, garlic and castor oil makes it an excellent treatment for hair loss. They will work together to increase your hair growth and penetrate deeply to condition your hair.
- Mix 5 tablespoon of garlic oil with 1 tablespoon each of coconut oil and castor oil, then add ½ teaspoon of rosemary oil into
- Apply the mixture to your scalp and hair and massage thoroughly but gently for 5 minutes
- Leave it there for another 30 minutes before rinsing it off with water and a mild shampoo
- Repeat this method 3 times per week for the best results
Method 4: Garlic and ginger
- Mix a piece of 2 inches of ginger with 8 crushed garlic cloves
- Put them in a blender to get a pulp
- In a pan, heat ½ cup of carrier oil and add the previously prepared garlic and ginger pulp to that oil
- After the pulp turns brown, you turn off the heat
- Discard the pulp after the oil cools down
- Gently massage about 2 tablespoons of this oil on your scalp
- Wait for 30 minutes to rinse it off with a mild shampoo and water
Method 5: Garlic, onion and cinnamon
This homemade pack for hair growth can help regenerate your hair follicles naturally.
- Mix 3 garlic cloves, 1 small onion, 1 cinnamon stick with 2 cups of water
- Boil them up for 15 minutes
- After straining it, let it cool and pour the liquid onto your hair
- Wait for 15 minutes to rinse it off with cool/tepid water
- Repeat daily for about 1 week to see noticeable results
13. Vitamin E Oil
For many ages, vitamin E has been widely used as home treatment for hair problems, particularly hair growth. It is high in antioxidants, so it can fight free radicals. Also, it increases oxygen within your body and boost the blood circulation of the scalp. If you massage vitamin E regularly on your scalp, it will reduce hair fall as well as split ends. Furthermore, it makes your hair smoother and softer. For dandruff problem, applying hot oil is very effective. To use vitamin E oil for hair growth, you can follow this method:
- Take an adequate amount of vitamin E oil and massage it over your scalp
- Wait till the next morning, then wash it off with a light shampoo
- Do this whenever you wash your hair
14. How To Grow Thick Hair – Rosemary Oil
This oil is made by the distillation of rosemary herb. Thanks to antioxidants, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory properties along with stimulants, this essential oil can boost the cell division and expand blood vessels, therefore increasing blood circulation. On the other hand, acting as a hair tonic, rosemary oil also accelerates the growth of hair naturally.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of rosemary oil with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- Apply it over your hair and scalp
- Leave it there before washing it off in the next morning
- Apply this method twice per week for good results
- Mix 10-12 drops of rosemary essential oil for each ounce of shampoo / conditioner
- Use it as your normal shampoo to get the best results
Method 3: Rosemary oil and jojoba oil
- Mix 3 – 4 drops of rosemary oil to 1 tablespoon of jojoba oil
- Rub it over your scalp for several minutes
- Wait for 30 minutes before rinsing it off with your mild shampoo
15. Argan Oil
Argan oil is one of great oils that are good for your question of how to grow thick hair. It can stop hair loss, boost the scalp and hair health, and increase your new hair growth for both men and women. However, to make use of argan oil, you should exfoliate your scalp at first to unblock the hair follicles, thereby letting the oil penetrate deeply into your scalp and do its task.
All you need to do is:
- Put several drops of argan oil on your fingertips
- Massage it gently on your scalp in a circular motion
- Start at the front hairline and do it across your head, down the back and each side
- Keep massaging for 15 minutes and rinse it off with water and shampoo
- Do this thrice per week to stop hair loss and re-grow new hair
16. Sage Oil
Sage oil, one of great tips on how to grow thick hair, is often used for hair care due to its multiple benefits. If combined with apple cider vinegar along with other essential oils such as rosemary oil, sage oil can be an excellent promoter of the hair growth.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of sage oil with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil or olive oil
- Apply it to your hair and scalp
- Leave it there overnight and rinse it off the next morning
- Repeat this routine twice per week
17. How To Grow Thick Hair – Lavender Oil
Known as beauty oil, lavender oil is used widely for treating hair loss and alopecia. Apart from increasing hair growth, it also decreases stress and anemia.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of lavender oil, rosemary oil, jojoba oil and thyme oil together
- Apply it to your scalp and hair and use a shower cap to wrap it up
- Wait for 30 minutes before rinsing it off with shampoo and water
- Do it twice per week for good results
18. Jojoba Oil
Jojoba oil is renowned for its hydrating and moisturizing properties. It can stimulate hair growth by boosting blood circulation and naturally moisturizing your hair follicles. Also, it fixes damaged and dry hair.
Do the following method:
- Mix 1 teaspoon of jojoba oil with 2 tablespoons of olive oil or coconut oil together
- Apply it over onto your hair and scalp
- Wait for a few hours or even overnight and rinse it off after that
- Do this twice per week
19. How To Grow Thick Hair – Flaxseed Oil
This oil has a large amount of fatty acids which could transform damaged, dry and brittle hair to shiny and healthy hair. Thanks to omega-3 fatty acids in this oil, it can enhance hair growth. Furthermore, flaxseed oil is rich in antioxidants. In order to keep the hair follicles strong and healthy, a diet which incorporates antioxidants is very vital. The lignans, a chemical compound found in flaxseed, are strongly believed to help inhibit 5α–reductase, which is an enzyme converting testosterone to DHT. In theory, those men having male-pattern baldness seem more sensitive to DHT than those without MPB so, less DHT thereby means more hair growth.
- Mix flaxseeds oil with a small amount of olive oil or coconut oil
- Apply it over your scalp and hair
- Wait for the next morning to wash it off with water
- Do this twice per week for good results
- It is crucial to remove to store flaxseed oil in the refrigerator right after using it to keep it fresh. Flaxseed oil requires refrigeration in order to maintain the beneficial effects and avoid spoiling. It might be better to pour the oil in different small bowl and each times of using, you use just one of them.
- For better results, both externally and internally, you should use flaxseed oil which has been produced from the fresh organic flax with minimal processing and cold pressing.
20. Diet Changes
Apart from useful tips on how to grow thick hair fast mentioned above, a few diet changes need to be carried out to help stimulate the process of hair growth and prevent hair loss. You should avoid using processed or junk food, smoking, aerated beverages. Also, drinking plenty of water is very good for your scalp and hair health. Include those fruits which are high in vitamins and minerals, along with vegetables, carbohydrates, whole grains, protein-rich foods, omega-3 fatty acids in your diet. They are high in phytonutrients which are great for the growth of hair. For example, you should add more protein-rich foods to your diet to boost hair growth. It is because the human hair is made of keratin, a special protein. Thus, you should add eggs, tofu, chicken, soybean, kidney beans along with other similar foods to your daily diet. They are rich sources of proteins for your hair, which helps in promoting new hair growth and make your hair smooth and shiny.
21. How To Grow Thick Hair – Vitamin A
It is a beneficial vitamin for hair growth. Papaya, mango, prunes, carrots, orange are some foods with high content of vitamin A.
22. Vitamin B
Using vitamin B can stimulate hemoglobin production in the human blood, which acts as oxygen carrier. It helps increase blood flow in the scalp. Choose to add banana, potato, fish, oatmeal, and beans to your diet.
23. Vitamin C
Vitamin C can be useful in collagen production and beat off free radicals in your skin. Opt for fruits like oranges, amla, guavas, kiwis to eat if you are looking for ways on how to grow thick hair.
24. Green Veggies
Try to add more dark green veggies to your daily diet because they have iron which is necessary for hair growth.
25. Avoid Hair Styling Products
Someone has been said that “no style is the best style”. This saying proves to be true in regard to hair. A lot of hairstyling products have harmful chemicals as well as superficial agents, which could be dangerous to your scalp and hair at times. Despite you might look attractive for several days at first by using hairstyling products, you never know how it impacts your scalp and hair in the long run. Thus, minimize applying of harmful hairstyling products such as serums, colors, and straighteners.
26. Avoid Using Shampoo With Sulfate
Over-washing your hair can dry out it, so you should use less shampoo to keep your hair hydrated. When buying a shampoo, go for a sulfate-free formula because they often have less harsh detergents, or even no at all. Thus, it helps preserve the natural oils of your hair.
27. How To Grow Thick Hair – Comb And Trim Regularly
You should comb your hair 3 times per day and trim each 3 months. In fact, regular combing as well as trimming is important for stimulating new hair growth. Combing is necessary because it stimulates blood circulation and hair follicles, thereby helping them produce new hair naturally.
The 51 useful tips on how to grow thick hair introduced about are natural and easy to do at home for most of you. You do not have to be a professional in hair care products to get stronger and thicker hair, just simply the methods on how to grow thick hair suggested here with patience and consistence. After following some of them, do not hesitate to share your results with us by dropping your words below this article. We will feedback as soon as we could.
For further references about other topics of how to do “something”, visit our How To page here.