What Is Oral Thrush?
Oral thrush or can be known as fur is a fungal infection of the mouth that is not contagious and can be treated. This is a condition that candida develops beyond the control in the oral mucosa. Candida is a normal organ in the mouth, sometimes overgrowth and causes symptoms.
Oral thrush can cause tooth decay, usually on the tongue or cheek. The lesions may be painful and may bleed a bit while scraping them. Sometimes the fungus can spread to palate, tonsils or behind the throat.
Although fur can affect anyone, it is more likely to occur in young children and those who wear dentures, use inhaled corticosteroids or have weakened immune system. Oral thrush is a small problem if you are good health condition, but if you have a weakened immune system, the symptoms of oral fungal infections can be more severe and difficult to control.
What Are Common Causes Of Oral Thrush?
As a matter of fact that oral thrush can occur when the immune system is weakened by disease or by using drugs such as prednisone, or even when antibiotics may interfere with the natural balance of microorganisms in the body.
Basically, the immune system not only has the function to prevent harmful organisms such as viruses, bacteria, and fungi but it also helps to maintain the balance between the “good” and “bad” bacteria that normally live in the body. Once that the immune system does not work properly, which may allow the oral fungal infection. There is a wide range of reasons making oral thrush out as follows:
- Cancer: If you are diagnosed with one types of cancer, the immune system may be diminished by diseases and treatments such as chemotherapy and radiation. Both diseases and treatments can increase the risk of being infected with oral candidiasis.
- Diabetes: In case you are having diabetes without treatment or not receiving controlled method, your saliva may contain large amounts of sugar, which in turn will lead to the growth of a group of yeasts called Candida.
- Antibiotics: When children have to take advantage of some antibiotics for long periods of time because of some diseases. Consequently, antibiotics destroy beneficial bacteria and multiply harmful bacteria in the child’s oral, causing the candida to grow.
- Corticosteroid: Corticosteroid is one of the immune suppressants used in the treatment of myasthenia gravis. Although corticoid is extremely effective in treating many chronic diseases, but if you use steroids often or in the wrong way, it will result in many side effects. There are three ways to make use of corticoid: inhaling, injecting and drinking. The people who resort to inhaling corticoid are inclined to be affected by fur.
- Dental Hygiene: After the baby is fed, if the child does not receive good oral hygiene, or does not drink water, milk residue will ferment, forming favorable acid environment for fungal growth, they will grow quickly and cause illness. It is common in infants, especially infants, prematurely born.
When it comes to adults, if not brushing after eating, or eating sweet, eating at night also makes the fungus have favorable environment to develop disease.
- Vaginal yeast: Vaginal yeast infections are caused by the same fungal that causes oral thrush. Although fungal infection is not dangerous, if you are pregnant, it can cause fungal infection for the unborn child. As a result, babies can develop oral thrush.
- HIV/AIDS: Children with HIV infection have poor resistance and have higher percentage of being affected with oral throat. Viruses that cause AIDS often damage or destroy the cells of the immune system, making it easier for the body be infected and cannot resist. Repeated oral fungal infections may be the first sign of an HIV infection.
- Some old people are weak, have long-term illness, body weakness, chronic patients or patients have to eat by resorting to the use of medical equipment. Hence, oral hygiene is difficult so they are likely to be vulnerable with the fur disease.
- In fact, anyone can develop oral thrush. Hereunder are some potential risks that lead to disease: smoking, using false teeth, and dried mouth.
What Are Symptoms Of Oral Thrush?
Initially, oral thrush may have no noticeable symptoms. Signs and symptoms of fur can develop suddenly, but they can last a long time and could include the following:
- White Spots: When being fur, common lesions can be seen is that baby’s tongue appears white spots resemble milk residue on the surface. At first, the white spots are small and only take position above the tongue, then spread on all the lounge surface and insides both cheeks
These lesions can cause pain to the baby, leading to poor appetite. For some rare cases, to other babies, there seems to be no feeling of discomfort.
- Bleeding if being rubbed
- There is a crack at the corner of the mouth
- In severe cases, the lesions may spread into the esophagus (esophageal candidiasis). If this happens, it may be difficult to swallow or having the feeling as if the food is stuck in your throat. Even worst, causing pneumonia, the lung fungus, spread to the stomach leading to diarrhea, which is extremely dangerous. When the fur is loosening, the mucous membrane is red, very painful, making eating extremely challenge.
- To newborn infants less than 1 year of age, symptoms usually appear in the first few weeks. In addition to the white spots found in the mouth, the baby may have difficulty sucking and fussing. Babies can also spread the disease to their mothers while being fed.
- Breastfeeding women with Candidiasis may have symptoms such as red or abnormal nipples, dense or reddening skin, and pain in the nipple, deep pain in the lactation, etc.
When To See A Doctor?
If you experience the following problems, then you should seek medical help instantly:
- You worry that a medicine you are using might make you affected with fur disease
- If you feel painful white lesions develop strongly inside the mouth
There, you have discovered some information about oral thrush, it is time to find out what the best natural home remedies for oral thrush are. Take a look at TrueRemedies.com!
Top 20 Home Remedies For Oral Thrush In Babies And Adults
1. Sweet Leaf
Sweet leaf is a vegetable that is quite familiar to us, is known as a vegetable with a coolness characteristic, which helps to calm the body, especially bring more therapeutic effect for humans.
Sweet leaves are rich in vitamins, mineral salts, calcium and other nutrients which are very good for our health. Long time ago, it was used as a substitute for animal protein to prevent calcium metabolism disorders, resulting in osteoporosis and kidney stones. This type of vegetable is also recommended for weight loss and high blood sugar patients. With all these positive effects, why don’t we use Sweet leaf as a useful method in treating oral thrush?
There are many ways to use sweet leaves as below:
Method 1: Home Remedies For Oral Thrush – Sweet Leaf Juice
- Prepare about 15 gram of sweet plants
- Rinse the sweet leaves through and through
- Cleanse these leaves again with cold boiled water
- Grind them with little warm water to make a fine paste
- Use a cotton ball soaked this paste then apply to the tongue
- Remember to clean gentle
- Repeat the process 4 to 5 days a week until you are satisfied with the result
Method 2: Home Remedies For Oral Thrush with Sweet Leaf And Borax:
- Take advantage of 10gr sweet leaves and 1gr of borax
- Remember to choose the young and green leaves
- Cleanse these leaves with water
- Blend this powder with little warm water to make a paste
- Put this onion paste into a cloth
- Squeeze to collect fresh sweet leave juice
- Add borax to the juice
- Steam the container in a cooker
- After the rice is done, take out the paste
- Use a cotton bath soaked with the paste
- Apply to the white dots
- Repeat the process 2 times per day to get the best effect.
The method of using sweet leaf to cure the fur is very ubiquitous. Currently, many people still use the juice to cure the tongue, mouth for children at home because of its effectiveness.
Although sweet leaf is extremely good for health, it has many beneficial effects in the treatment of diseases; this vegetable is also dangerous if you do not know the correct way how to use it.
- Miscarriage Can Happen: Containing high levels of papaverin causes uterine smooth muscle contraction, which makes it very easy for women to miscarriage. Therefore, pregnant women, especially with women with a history of continuous miscarriage, premature birth should limit the consumption of vegetables, especially high doses of raw fruit sweet leaf.
- Insomnia: Many studies indicate that sweet leaf has side effects such as difficulty in sleeping, poor appetite. According to research, the boiling process can also reduce the effects of the vegetables. People who are trouble with the sleep should avoid eating vegetables because it contains a substance resulting in insomnia.
- Inhibition Of Calcium And Phosphorus Absorption: In addition to supporting metabolic processes in the body, glucocorticoids are the result of the metabolism of the leaves vegetables that may interfere with the absorption of calcium.
2. Home Remedies For Oral Thrush – Honey
This is another must-try home treatment in this list of home remedies for oral thrush
Honey has long been used as an excellent sweetener and preservative. However, not everyone knows that honey is very good for health. In addition to possessing the sweet taste as an effective remedy for relieving mood, healing the soul, honey also possesses many other useful functions that we may never have thought of.
It is undeniable that honey contains a lot of sugar. However, the sugar contained in honey is very different from white sugar we eat daily or usually put in the cup of coffee every morning. Regardless of its chemical structure, you only need to understand that honey has a lot of sugar. Other compounds found in honey include dextrin which can be combined with the natural sugar of honey to help regulate blood glucose levels in the body. Additionally, the natural sugar concentration in honey is considered good antiseptic helping cuts, abrasions from getting infected, as well as eradicating oral thrush in young children. However, parents must know how to choose the right pure honey to promote the effect of treating oral thrush with honey.
All you have to do is:
- Clean hands clearly with water and soap
- Wrap clean gauze on top and around the index finger
- Soaked the clean finger with honey
- Clean gently and nicely the tongue
- After cleaning tongue by honey, apply the clean water to rewash the tongue
For children, this method can make them feel painful because the old white dots are attached to the mucosa. After finishing cleaning the tongue, children may be afraid of breastfeeding. Hence, using honey to cure oral thrush should only apply to children who are 1 years older.
Another thing need to be taken into mind is that honey has a multitude of botulinum toxins, which affect nerves, paralysis, or even causing death. This toxin is produced during poor honey preservation or due to poor quality honey. Infants under 1 year (especially under 6 months) are at high risk of poisoning with this toxin because the digestive system of infants is not immature.
3. Green Tea
The next treatment in this list of home remedies for oral thrush is green tea.
Green tea is made from a leaf named camellia sinensis. This plant is grown in warm climate and mountain area.
Green tea has long been considered a medicinal herb that is easy to make and offers numerous benefits to health. Thanks to so many good ingredients containing in green tea, it can diminish the fur disease and this method is so effective that you should not ignore.
Let’s see what you can do with green tea:
- Wash green leaves through and through with water
- Put 10-15 raspberry leaves in a pot of 5-8 cups of plain water.
- Let it simmer, but do not overheat to avoid clearing its nutrients
- Add a little salt into
- Leave it cool at room temperature
- Use a towel to absorb the green tea juice above to clean mouth and tongue
Caution: Green tea is good, but people using green tea incorrectly, using too much will get unwanted side effects from green tea. Catechins found in green tea can cause iron deficiency anemia. Besides green tea inhibits the body’s calcium utilization, making you susceptible to osteoporosis. This causes bone weakness due to calcium deficiency. Some cases of bone-contaminated flour from resorting to tea have also been reported in some studies. Consequently, this method is only suitable for children beyond 6 months and pregnant women must avoid.
4. Home Remedies For Oral Thrush – Brittle Salt Water
It is very common and easy to find salt in markets or stores. We can easily make brittle salt water. In fact natural unrefined sea salt contains about 82 micronutrients essential for human body including sodium, barium, cobalt, selenium, titanium, zinc and chromium, which all help in detoxifying very well
How to use:
- Put 1 teaspoon of sea salt in warm water
- Stir so salt can solute into water completely for 2 minutes
- Use cotton pads to absorb salt water
- Clean your mouth gently, from the inside out
In case you do not want to make salt water by yourself or feel uncertain and safety about making salt not correct concentration, you can come to any convenient stores to buy saline physiological 0.1% which does not affect the health of children of any age.
Soots are relatively common in Vietnam and have become familiar to anyone. But little is known about its healing benefits, may be considered a precious but not rare herb.
The soot also called squid grass, cut grass, white raspberry, etc … This is a wild grass, easy to find, when pounded out, the water is black as ink. This plant is vertically upright, up to 80-100cm in height, and has white hairy body. Leaves of pot grow opposite each other, 4-8cm long, 7-15mm wide and have both sides. The flower pot is white and grows in clusters.
Soot has some characteristics such as non-toxic, sour and sweet, with coldness properties.
There are two ways for using soot as one of useful home remedies for oral thrush.
Method 1: Soot Juice
Take the following steps:
- Prepare 4 grams of soots
- Wash the leaf through and through
- Blend them thoroughly to form a paste
- Wrap your clean index finger with a clean cloth
- Wash mouth and tongue
- Repeat the process 2 times per day to reap the best effects
Method 2: Soot Juice With Honey
- Cut off five to ten fresh leaf from soot plant
- Rinse the soot leaf through and through
- Use a grater to grate the leaves
- Extract grated onion to get fresh soot juice
- Put this juice into a bowl.
- Add 1ml of honey to the bowl of soot juice
- Mix them well to form a paste.
- Put this paste thoroughly onto a clean cloth wrapped around index finger
- Clean the mouth and tongue
- Repeat twice a week
6. Home Remedies For Oral Thrush –Yogurt Without Sugar
Yogurt contains lactic acid, having the effect of preventing penetration and inhibiting the activity of harmful bacteria, creating a protective barrier to protect the skin. Sour fermented bacteria in this food can also release natural antibiotics, stimulate the healing process of skin lesions such as scars, pits, regenerate new skin, preserve the skin.
Besides, it is that lactobacillus acidophilus found in the yogurt can control candidiasis. In a study of 33 women with oral infections, the number of recurrences dropped significantly in those who ate yogurt.
This method is applicable for both adults and children and it can help you remove the infection in mouth in just 2 days. The beneficial bacteria in yogurt will link to defeat candida fungus quickly. However, it should be noted that during treatment, you absolutely should not eat sugar yogurt.
How to do:
- Eat slow yogurt, suck in your mouth for at least 30 seconds.
- Resin your mouth with warm water
- Repeat the process twice to three times per day until the infection disappears
Another way to take advantage of yogurt is to consume from 2 to 3 cups of yogurt without sugar per day.
- Many people assume that yogurt is not only easy to digest, rich in nutrients but it also supports the digestive system, so they take advantage of yogurt by using over dose. In fact eating too much yogurt will affect the gastric mucosa and the ability to excrete the digestive catalyst, which lead to the loss of appetite. According to many researches, the maximum volume is about 300gr per day.
- Not eating yogurt when you are hungry. Eating yogurt when hungry is very easy to stimulate the digestive tract, nutrients in yogurt is not absorbed and can be excreted.
- Use yogurt after the main meals. After the meal or after taking medication for about 2 hours is the best time for you to savor yogurt. At this time, the bacteria in yogurt will have the most suitable environment for digesting food, absorbing nutrients efficiently.
Garlic is one of the most effective home remedies for oral thrush. Aside from being used as a spice, garlic is also known as a versatile herb, with the ability to prevent and treat many diseases. The composition of garlic contains many sulfuric active ingredients such as allicin, diallyl disulfide and allylpropyl disulfide. These active ingredients are believed to play a decisive role in creating fragrance and pharmacological effects of garlic, of which the most important is allicin  .
To make use of garlic for treating fur, follow these steps:
- Peel a fresh garlic clove
- Clean cloves thoroughly
- Leave it dry for 3 minutes
- Chew directly
If you cannot eat garlic raw, you can grind garlic cloves into a paste and drink or apply the paste in the infected area and then resin mouth with warm water. Or you can add garlic to your daily meals. Garlic supplements can enhance your immune system and improve oral thrush.
8. Home Remedies For Oral Thrush – Lavender Oil
This sounds strange when it comes to home remedies for oral thrush, but it works. Lavender is one of the flowers that many girls love because of its beauty and scent. However, according to scientific research, this plant contains a lot of chemical elements, have a great effect on our health, skin, hair, especially the lavender flowers have many useful functions. Therefore, lavender is always used widely in daily life  .
Lavender has the ability to fight infections, helping to reduce thrush in adults.
There are 2 ways for using lavender oil.
Method 1: Lavender Oil With Toothpaste.
What you need to do is:
- Cut lavender branches into sections, each has the length about 15 cm
- Dry flowers for at least 2 weeks for lavender dry completely
- Lightly flush the flowers and place them in a jar
- Pour oil into flowers. Use odorless oil such as olive oil, away from the edge of the bottle about 1.25-2.5 cm
- Tighten the mouth of the container and soak in the sun for 48 hours.
- Store the oil in bottles or dark jars
- Add a few drops of lavender to your toothpaste
- When brushing, gently use this mixture to brush the tongue and areas of white dots
Method 2: Lavender Oil With Water
- Drop 2 to 3 of lavender oil in warm water to gargle
- Repeat the process 3 to 4 times per day
Caution: Lavender essential oil can be toxic when being swallowed. Lavender oil should not be used in young children and may have negative effects on the development of male children .
9. Home Remedies For Oral Thrush – Apple Cider Vinegar
This is one of the most common oral thrush remedies in adults. With many people, apple cider vinegar has long been regarded as a familiar spice because of its delicious taste and useful function in treating many health problems.
In apple cider vinegar, there are many vitamins such as A, B1, B2, B6, C, E and many bacteria that help boost immunity and antibacterial agents help the sores on the mouth heal and avoid spread .
What you have to do is:
- Prepare 4 tea spoon of apple cider vinegar and 1 tea spoon of salt
- Mix 2 ingredients together to make a paste
- Use that paste to wash your mouth
- Repeat this way 4 to 7 times a day to experience the improvement.
Consumption of vinegar at excessive doses or for long periods of time can cause health problems. However, most apple cider vinegar side effects are not serious and can be easily prevented. For example, because apple vinegar contains high levels of acid, frequent consumption of apple cider vinegar can weaken tooth enamel, weaken teeth and shine. To prevent this harm, do not drink straight apple cider vinegar, instead diluted with water or taken with a straw to limit contact with the teeth. Before using vinegar as a treatment for oral thrush, you should consult doctor’s advice.
10. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil boosts the body’s immune system through monolaurins.
Because coconut oil is highly antibacterial, anti-fungal, it can be used safely to treat candida bacteria without any side effects. Additionally, caprylic acid is abundant in coconut oil and is effective in treating oral thrush infections. Caprylic acid works well because it only destroys the yeast without killing the good bacteria in the intestines
How to use pure coconut oil to treat candida:
- Apply coconut oil directly to infected areas where candida can thrush
- Remain the oil in mouth for at least 30 minutes
- Wash your mouth with warm water
- Repeat the process 3 times per day to reap the effectiveness
Another way to take advantage of coconut oil in curing fur is that you can add 4 tablespoons of pure coconut oil to your daily diet to bring many health benefits.
Onion is not only used for salads and other dishes, it is also used as a medicine. The antimicrobial and anti-fungal properties of the onion make it an excellent food against candida. In a scientific study, in areas where people have a habit of eating onions every day, the incidence of being infected with fur is very low .
There are many ways for you to make us of onion to deal with oral thrush:
Method 1: Eat Raw
- Eat twice a day in meals, each serving a small onion.
- May add onion to salat
Method 2: Home Remedies For Oral Thrush with Onion Wine
- Soak the onions in wine with the proportion that 1 onion, 20 ml of white wine
- Drink 3 times a day with a small spoonful of food before half an hour.
Seaweed, one of little known home remedies for oral thrush, is a natural food that contains many important and essential nutrients for humans. Seaweed is a favorite dish used by many people. However, not everyone knows the great value that seaweed brings to health.
Alga alkane mannitol in seaweed is a low-calorie sugar, which helps nourish beneficial bacteria. Thus, seaweed is good for group of people who are diagnosed with oral thrush. In conclusion, addition of seaweed in the menu is essential  .
13. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is a plant growing wild in tropical climates and is cultivated for agricultural and medicinal uses. Many studies indicated that aloe vera reduces pH and have the ability to a harsh environment for candida  . It also helps to detoxify the liver, because the liver filters the byproducts of candida then destroys them. You can consume aloe vera daily as a juice.
How to use:
- Peel the plant, take the “white meat” inside the aloe vera
- Soak the “meat” in the salt water for 30 minutes, then rinse thoroughly to reduce the viscosity
- Drain the meat.
- Grind the aloe vera
- Add water and sugar to the container and boil.
- Put the grinding aloe vera
- Stir a few turns. Then turn off the stove.
- Add a little ice into a glass and enjoy your product
Nowadays, after many research are conducted, scientists called walnuts the king of nuts for the great health benefits they bring.
Walnuts are rich in antioxidants and some other types of antioxidants. The antioxidant compound is called ellagic, which is very useful in the fight against cancer. It also boosts the immune system.
Walnuts have been shown to be more effective against Candida than any other antiviral drug.
You can make use of walnuts by eating raw or add to some of your favorite recipes to boost the flavor.
15. Eating Habit
Do not allow children to eat sweets, snacks, and soft drinks in the evening to avoid fungal growth. Try to limit the amount of sugar and yeast containing in the food you eat because those can encourage the development of candida.
When it comes to children who are affected with oral thrush, you should choose cold fruits, such as pear, watermelon, banana, mango … and should not let him eat a lot of fabric, because the fabric is hot and once the amount of hot food injected into the body, it can make people more frustrating and uncomfortable.
16. Home Remedies For Oral Thrush – Habit Change
The best way to avoid oral thrush is to be healthy in general. Prevention is always better than treatment. If you desire to avoid this disease, never forget to pay attention to these following directions:
- Rinse your baby’s toys every day with hot water and soap. Wash thoroughly and dry under the sun. In case the baby uses a nipple or bottle to drink milk, rinse the nipple with water or clean nipples in aqueous solution with water and vinegar every day evenly and dry to prevent fungal growth.
- Meet the dentist regularly especially if you have diabetes or using dentures. Seek the advice from your dentist frequently. Brush and floss regularly as your dentists suggest. If wearing dentures, you must be sure to clean them every night.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day and floss at least once. Replace the toothbrush regularly until the disease has eradicated. If using toothbrush manually making you feel pain or there is a problem with strength when brushing teeth, an electric toothbrush can make it easier. Avoid mouthwash or sprays, which can alter normal plants in the mouth. Do not use toothbrush with anyone
- If you are using corticosteroid tube based on doctor’s prescription, remember to rinse your mouth with water or brush your teeth after taking medicine.
- Limited or no smoking
- If your baby is on the age puberty, you should use soft, liquid foods to keep your baby’s mouth from burning. In the course of the disease, you should not let your baby make contact other babies to avoid the risk of infection.
- For babies who are under 1 year old and drink milk by using bottle, you can give your baby 1-2 to 1 teaspoon of cool water after feeding and use small gauze, dipping into salt water diluted with warm, gently wipes the tongue. You should hold your baby upright or sit (avoid lying position) and avoid impacting the bottom of the tongue because it can stimulate throat muscles and cause nausea and vomiting. With infants who are being breastfed completely for the first 6 months, it is not necessary to give your baby extra boiled water after feeding. Remember that you should brush babies’ tongue after they eat about 2 hours, avoid vomiting
- When it comes to mothers who are breastfeeding be infected with oral thrush, take into mind to change bra and chest pads every day by washing them with hot water or bleach.
All the above home remedies for oral thrush are natural and easy-to-find. By applying any of these home remedies, you might keep yourself as well as your family safe from fur. However, if you use some of these methods for a long time without effectiveness, it is better to seek advice from your doctor.
In case you have any other exciting ideas for the article “20 Natural Home remedies for Oral Thrush” that we have not mentioned above? Please feel free to share with us in Home Remedies Category
Do not hesitate to drop your comments in the box below. We will feedback as soon as possible.