Sleep disorders are a problem that a lot of people are coping with nowadays. In most cases, sleep disorders may not be seen as a life threatening disease; however, it is still becoming a popular concern for people worldwide. If you are among such people, you will find the real solutions for your problem right at this article. Here, we uncover some effective but natural home remedies for sleep disorders in children and adults. These alternative treatments might offer the same benefits as traditional treatments for sleep apnea do. Nonetheless, prior to learning about these home remedies for sleep disorders, you had better gather some basics about sleep disorders. Let’s discover!
What Are Sleep Disorders?
Sleep disorders are a condition in which the body is often lacking in sleep or facing with sleep deprivation. That is when your body has trouble sleeping at night, waking up feeling tired and often feeling sleepy during the day.
Additionally, sleep disorder occurs when you have frequent nightmares. If you occasionally dream of a nightmare, it is very normal. However, in case you have frequent nightmares that you are afraid of going to bed or having to wake up several times in the night, then you are probably facing with sleep disorder. Nightmares involve the natural dangers that make you afraid during a dream or it can also be negative feelings .
Common Symptoms Of Sleep Disorders
What are the signs and symptoms of sleep disorders?
Common symptoms of sleep disorders are:
TrueRemedies Partner Solutions
Need a Help from the Leading Expert Online, Available 24/7?
They’re all here and ready to answer your questions online or by phone. Keep asking questions until you get the answer you need.
- You feel a very real and scary dream;
- You dream of threats that threaten you;
- A dream that wakes you up and prevents you from sleeping;
- When you wake up, you feel anxious, frightened, terrorized, angry, ashamed or hateful;
- You sweat or heart beats fast, but you cannot get out of bed;
- Dreams occur near the end of sleep.
- Feeling uncomfortable and sleepy during the day
- When you study, work or watch TV, you feel unwell
- Loss of focus in all activities
- Frequently hear people complain that you are tired
- Acting slowly, moodily
- Having trouble controlling your emotions for people and things around you
- Always are in need of a cup of coffee to keep you relaxed
What Causes Sleep Disorders?
There are many causes for sleep disorders, including:
- External factors: Tension in work or study; conflict with others; major incidents in life; feeling tired of working or working in shift crews;
- Physiology reasons: when people are old or in menopause period
- Diseases of the joints, cardiovascular, blood pressure, stomachache, etc.
- Injury: Nightmares often occur after an accident or other injury. Nightmares are a prominent symptom of posttraumatic stress disorder;
- Due to the influence of habitat such as: houses are cramped, crowded, noisy, dusty, unhygienic, etc. which make it difficult for people to sleep.
- Lack of sleep: If you do not sleep well, you may experience worse nightmares;
- Medication: Some medications can affect your sleep, including drugs for depression, blood pressure medications, beta blockers, drugs for Parkinson's disease or adjuvant medications, cessation of smoking. Occasionally, stopping consuming such kind of drugs can lead to nightmares;
- Book or horror movies: reading books or watching horror movies, especially before going to sleep can cause nightmares;
- Other disorders: Some mental health conditions, psychological disorders as well as other sleep disorders can lead to nightmares.
- Poor diet, eating habits: Elderly people, if they eat too much, lacking in quality or quantity, are likely to having a great influence on daily sleep. Drinking plenty of water before going to bed or drinking a lot of beer, alcohol, or eating a variety of stimulants (beer, wine, tea, and coffee) can cause sleep problems, especially for elderly people with certain chronic conditions. Hypertension, coronary insufficiency, prostatic adenoma, diabetes mellitus etc.
- Smoking: Like caffeine, nicotine in cigarettes also stimulates the body. It increases heart rate and blood pressure while stimulating brain activity. All these processes affect sleep. Even when you sleep, your sleep quality is still not guaranteed. Smokers are more likely to suffer from insomnia than others .
- Sleep with pets: Many pet owners like sleeping with them but this is not a good thing. First, animal sleep is different from humans. The pet's sleep is shorter and they change positions more often than humans, so you may wake up at night because of such disrupting. Secondly, animal furs can have a negative impact on your health and sleep, even if you are not allergic to animals.
- Jet lag or to be more specific it is called sleep disturbance due to time zone change
This is the biological clock in your body that is interrupted by moving to places with time zones other than where you previously lived. The common symptoms of this disorder are fatigue, headaches, stomach problems and insomnia.
What Are Factors Increase The Risk Of Sleep Disorders?
There are many factors that increase your risk for sleep disorders, including:
- Some health conditions;
- Drug usage;
- Psychological disorders such as depression, anxiety or posttraumatic stress disorder;
Who Are Vulnerable To Sleep Disorders?
Sleep disorders are very common and can affect both children and adults, but women are more likely to suffer from it. According to a recent research, there is up to 50% of young children experience severe nightmares that make parents wake up and approximately 50 to 85% of adults experience nightmares.
Types of Sleep Disorders
- Sleep apnea: This is a syndrome that causes your breathing to stop temporarily while you are asleep. When you have sleep apnea syndrome, you do not remember or realize your waking up in the middle of the night because of this syndrome, but it affects the quality of sleep, which makes you feel very tired, exhaustion during the day, reducing learning and working efficiency
- Restless legs syndrome (RLS) : Your legs (or hands) often move while you sleep at night, maybe because of your weight or because your limbs are not comfortable, or you feel pain in your limbs.
- Narcolepsy: is a type of sleep disorder that involves the occasional feeling of falling asleep during the day. It can be caused by dysfunction that controls sleep and wakes the brain. When you are depressed, you often face drowsiness even when you are talking, studying, working or driving.
Consequences Of Sleep Disorders
- Sleep disorder will reduce memory, or make people have difficulty in concentrating, reducing the ability to work etc. If it is not treated in time, this disease is about to affect the heart, causing a multitude of diseases related to your heart such as hypertension, heart failure, sudden death in night, cerebrovascular accident, especially sleep apnea syndrome (in which patient stop breathing for about 20-40 seconds in sleep). Some severe cases can lead to death.
- Effect on appearance and skin: dark skin, dry eye, dark circles, more wrinkles.
- Affect the mood: lethargy, fatigue, fatigue, loss of concentration, lightheadedness, irritability, tension
- Increases the risk of cancer: A study found that women who had less than 6 hours of sleep per night were more likely to develop breast cancer. Additionally, it is said that women will increase their risk of developing colon cancer when they sleep less than six hours a night.
- Obesity and diabetes: Sleeping less or insufficient sleep will cause sugar in blood to rise, and the metabolic processes in your body slow down. This is what makes you more susceptible to obesity and diabetes.
- Feeling anxiety and depression: Sleeping makes you go all night long, causing bad mood, can think about negative things, increase anxiety, and lose focus all the day. Gradually, it can cause you to become depressed.
When To See A Doctor?
You should see your doctor if you have any of these signs:
- Nightmares occur frequently and persistently;
- Agitation or sleep disturbance;
- You are afraid of going to bed;
- Nightmares affect daytime behavior.
If you have any of these signs or symptoms or have any questions, please consult your doctor to select the most suitable advice.
Now, it is time to discover top 22 natural home remedies for sleep disorders in children and adults. Take a look at TrueRemedies.com!
Top 22 Natural Home Remedies For Sleep Disorders In Children And Adults
The first remedy when it comes to home remedies for sleep disorders is fish. Fish is a good source of protein. Eating lots of fish will help you sleep well. Some kinds of fish such as salmon, tuna, and carp contain a large amount of vitamin B6, which promotes the production of serotonin and melatonin, which are great substances in the body. These two hormones can reduce cortisol (a hormone that increases blood pressure) as well as the feeling of anxiety associated with it. Therefore, fish is really your great “ally” to help eliminate sleep disorders.
According to a new study, salmon offers 600 mg omega-3 fatty acids. The fatty acids facilitate you sleep longer and the times of waking up in the night are also reduced. The abundant amino acids in salmon help to boost melatonin production, reducing stress for easy sleeping. In addition, lack of vitamin D also makes sleep quality decline; nonetheless, now people no longer worry about that because salmon is one of the foods rich in Vitamin D.
You should enjoy a meal prepared from salmon in the evening in order to sleep better at night. There are many ways to process salmon, but the most common way that can retain all nutrition is sautéed salmon. New taste will stir up your taste and improve your sleeping problems.
2. Home Remedies For Sleep Disorders – Pumpkin Seeds
Pumpkin seeds are naturally rich in magnesium, making them very beneficial for those who are usually sluggish at night .
One of the benefits of magnesium is to allow the fibers in the body to relax. It is anti-calcium – a substance that causes muscle contraction.
It is also thought that magnesium plays a role in the normal function of the pineal gland – where melatonin produced (melatonin is the hormone regulating the wake-up cycle and helping us fall asleep easily). Additionally, magnesium is considered a “natural sleeping pill” and is essential for relaxing muscles. It is also necessary for the conversion of trytophan to serotonin and melatonin. In fact, magnesium deficiency may be a possible cause of sleep disorder syndrome.
There are many ways to use pumpkin seeds as below:
Method 1: Mixture With Yogurt Without Sugar:
- Add 1-2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds with yogurt without sugar
Method 2: Mixture With Yogurt Without Juice:
- Take 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- Grind pumpkin seeds into small pieces
- Add grinding paste into your favorite fruit juice
- Repeat these methods 2 times per day to experience the improvement
Glycogen is an important source of energy in the body. It is stored mainly in the liver and skeletal muscle cells. Glycogen plays a crucial part to provide energy and stabilize blood sugar. However, after a very long night, the amount of glycogen stored in the liver may not be enough to stabilize blood sugar level and support the health of the brain as well as the cells throughout the body. As a result, it causes some effects include insomnia, difficulty in sleeping, etc.
As you can see that glycogen deficiency causes sleep problems, so glycogen storage is extremely important. According to scientific studies, pure honey is the best glycogen storage solution for the human body.
There are many ways to use honey to treat sleep disorder.
Method 1: Drink Pure Honey
Drink 1 to 2 teaspoons of honey every night before going to bed then you can have a deep sleep and do not feel sleepy.
Method 2: Drink Milk With Honey
Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of honey to a cup of warm milk and enjoy.
Method 3: Drink Chrysanthemum Tea Honey
- Rinse the chrysanthemum and drain.
- Prepare a small pot, pour water then boil
- After water boils, add chrysanthemum, licorice and sugar, adding a little water will stimulate your taste.
- Continue boiling for 2 minutes then lower the fire
- Use a filter to extract the mixture to get fresh pure chrysanthemum tea.
- Put this tea into a cup
- Add a tablespoon of honey to the cup of chrysanthemum tea juice
- You can choose drinking hot or cold depending on your taste
Although honey is an effective medicine curing the sleep disorder, you should also pay attention to a few points below:
- Do not add honey to boiling water of over 40 degrees. It is better that you should mix honey with warm water from 20 to 35 degrees warm to ensure that all the ingredients in the honey can work best.
- Do not combine honey with some of the following foods: milk beans, onions, because they are totally contrast, which can adversely affect your life.
- Do not put honey in metal bottles, which will cause chemical oxidation. The best way to store the honey is to keep it in the glass at a cool place, and remember to avoid direct sunlight.
The following people should avoid the use of honey to prevent health risks:
- Children under 1 year old: Because they have relatively poor digestive function, the ability to detoxify the liver has not been fully developed. When children use honey, botulinum (a substance that happening in the process of distilling, and processing, honey is susceptible to botulinum), it can easily enter the intestinal wall, combined with some substances in the intestine, creating toxins leading to poisoning.
- Diabetes patient: Because honey contains a huge amount of sugar so that people who are diagnosed with diabetes need to limit the use of these foods to avoid increasing sugar in their blood.
- People are taking cold medicine: There are medications contain acetaminophen, which has antipyretic and analgesic effects. If honey is combined with those substances, it will form a compound that affects the rate of absorption of drugs, thereby reducing the antipyretic effect of the drug.
- Patients with cirrhosis
- Pregnant women: Substances in honey can stimulate the uterus to contract, affecting the normal development of the fetus.
4. Home Remedies For Sleep Disorders – Ginger
Use ginger as one of home remedies for sleep disorders if you want to get sound sleep without cost. Ginger is not only a spice, but it is also known as a drug that treats chronic sleep disorder effectively. This spice contains cineole, helping relieve stress and migraine headache, refresh human spirit and induce sound sleep.
There are numerous methods for making use of ginger as one of home remedies for sleep disorders that you can easily follow:
Method 1: Ginger Together With Water And Sugar
- Take a fresh ginger
- Wash clearly with water
- Chop ginger into small slices
- Put slices ginger into 500ml pure water then boil it
- After boiling water, add 1 tea spoon of sugar in it
- Leave it for 5 minutes
- Drink this water twice a day, at noon and in the afternoon.
- In case the water is slightly cooled, you can be reheat to warm so it much easier to savor the taste
Method 2: Ginger Salt
- Cut off one fresh branch from ginger
- Wash that ginger’s branch through and through
- Grind ginger to make a paste
- Add 500ml warm water and 1 teaspoon of salt
- Stir well the mixture
Note: At first, when you are experiencing severe sleep disorder, you can drink about 1 liter of ginger sugar or ginger salt. After a period of time when the disease has passed, you should reduce to 500ml and gradually maintained by 500ml once a day.
Method 3: Ginger Honey Tea
- Peel off the ginger then rinse with water through and through
- Cut ginger into pomegranate seeds.
- Add water and ginger then boil for about 20 minutes to reduce the ginger’spiquancy.
- Continue add honey to the ginger pot and keep boiling for another 7 minutes and then turn off the stove
- Put this paste into a cloth
- Squeeze to collect fresh ginger tea
- Put this juice into a bottle
- Each time you use, you make a tea bag with hot water and then take some ginger juice into hot tea
- Let ginger water soak into the tea 7 – 10 minutes so you can enjoy the ginger honey tea.
It can be seen that ginger is effective in treating sleep disorder; however it is not immediate effects, but rather to improve it gradually.
Note when using ginger:
- Do not peel: Many people peel when eating ginger but they do not know that ginger skin is also has many uses for healing.
- People who should avoid consuming ginger: Liver, stomach ache, colon disease, pregnant
- Do not eat too much ginger: Although ginger is good, it is a thermal property, so eating a lot can cause dry mouth, thirst, and heat in the body.
- Do not eat ginger stamping
- Crushing Fresh ginger is about to producing a powerful poison called safrole. This substance can denature, hepatocellular necrosis, which leads to liver cancer.
Banana is rich in magnesium and potassium, which helps the muscles relax. At the same time, the banana contains tryptophan acid, which is metabolized into serotonin and melatonin, natural chemicals in the brain, regulate the amount of hormones. However, those who suffer from stomach disease should not eat bananas before going to bed because it will make the stomach more uncomfortable.
6. Home Remedies For Sleep Disorders – Yogurt
Yogurt contains tryptophan, which is good for sleep. Yogurt helps reduce stress, stabilize the mind and is good for brain nerves. Therefore, eating a cup of yogurt before going to sleep will help you sleep well and dispel anxiety and stress.
This food is often used for breakfast and it can also be a light snack at night. Oatmeal can help you have a good night's sleep because they stimulate the sleeping hormones such as serotonin and melatonin. It is that oats are foods with high levels of melatonin, and then consuming oatmeal will help you cure sleep disorder effectively and extremely simple.
How to cook oatmeal:
- Add 300ml of water to 50g oatmeal on the stove
- Turn on big fire, when boiling, stir until the flour hatch.
- Add condensed milk or fresh milk to stir at the same time (depending on whether you eat fat or not, adjust the amount of milk accordingly).
- Then add some honey to increase the sweetness of the porridge.
8. Home Remedies For Sleep Disorders – Lotus Seed
Lotus seed, one of little-known home remedies for sleep disorders in children and adults, is a precious medicinal plant has long been known, all parts of the plant are used as medicine. In particular, lotus seeds are studied and have many different effects. In recent years, botanists have demonstrated experimentally that in lotus seeds, there is an alkaline, aromatic glucose having a sedative effect. After eating lotus seeds, the pancreas secretes insulin that makes it easier for people to sleep.
Of all the meals from lotus seed, there are two common ones that you can easily process
Method 1: Sweet Lotus Seed Gruel With Longan
- Wash 110 gram of fresh lotus seeds
- Put clean lotus seeds into the pot
- Pour water then boil with the aim of softening the seeds
- Add 250 gram of sugar
- Stew for 10 minutes
- Take the seeds off and put it into the bowl
- Peel of 500 gram of longan
- Use a sharp knife to separate the seeds from the meat of longan
- Gently put the lotus seed inside the longan’s meat
- Reheat the water
- Put longan’s meat into the pan then boil for 2 minutes (Avoid keeping the heat high too long for the longan will be far from delicious)
- Take off the longan’s meat attached with lotus seeds
- Put them into the bowl of ice to keep the crispness of longan’s meat
- Place the longan’s meat in the bowl and add a little ice then it can be well served
Method 2: Home Remedies For Sleep Disorders Using Congee With Lotus Seeds
- Mix sticky rice and rice together
- Wash thoroughly
- Soak 1-2 hours so that the rice can hatch and soft.
- Wash lotus seeds and mushroom to remove the dust
- Put the rice, green beans in the pot with water and boil. When boiling, lower the fire so that congee will not be spilt out.
- When the congee is cooked perfectly, put the mushrooms, stir and then continue to cook for about 15 minutes.
- Then add the lotus seeds and stir up. Add some white sugar or alum sugar, boil for another 25-30 minutes before shutting off the kitchen.
- Eating when congee is still warm will bring the best effect.
9. Green Bean Sweet Gruel
We only know green beans as a raw material for processing food and beverages without knowing that they also have great utility in preventing and treating some diseases. Nobody knows that these easy-to-find nuts have the potential to prevent sleep disorders and make you asleep better. The researchers have studied and stated that green beans are rich in antioxidants and nutrients such as flavanoids, carotenoids, polyphenols, vitamins A, C and omega-3 fatty acids, which are beneficial for health. With all these positive effects, why don’t we use green bean as a useful method in treating sleep disorder?
What you have to do is:
- Place green peas in a bucket and pour water into that with the aim of soaking for about 1 hour to soften the green beans.
- Drain green beans
- Put green beans and water into the pot and put on the stove for about 20 minutes
- Add sugar (depending on each person's taste for less or sugar as you like it) then boil for about 15 minutes so green beans are hatched and softer.
- Add the flour to the bowl and add the water into the mixture and then pour the flour into a pot of green tea.
- Stir until the flour is not lumps.
- Stir well until the tea pot is matched
- Let the tea pot cool down
- Add a little coconut milk to the gruel.
- Women eating too much green bean will lead to gynecological diseases such as glaucoma, abdominal distention, dysmenorrhea. It is advised that adults should eat two to three times a week, one cup at a time.
- Green beans shouldn’t be eaten when you are in hunger condition because the green beans have cold property, they will not good for the stomach.
- People are physically debilitating: As protein content in green beans is more than chicken, protein macromolecules need the action of new enzyme catalysts to convert to small peptides, when the new amino acids absorbed into the body. Digestive functions in people who are physically weak are usually weak, easily leading to abdominal pain, diarrhea.
10. Home Remedies For Sleep Disorders – Soak Your Feet In Water
Method 1: Soak With Warm Water
- Clean your feet
- Pour hot water into a wooden pot with the ideal temperature is about 40 degrees Celsius
- Soak your feet into that water – filled pot
- Leave for 20 minutes
- Repeat the process 2 times
This method is used when you do not have a good sleep, mental drowsiness, anorexia, psychological insecurity.
Method 2: Soak With Warm Water And Ginger
- Take 2 medium sized of ginger
- Do not peel off the skin
- Cleanse the ginger with water
- Mash the ginger
- Boil the water, add a little salt into the boiling water
- Put grinded ginger and stew for 5 minutes
- Then leave the water cool a bit for 3 minutes, depending on the surrounding temperature
- Pour the mixture into the pot
- Soak your feet into that water
This method promotes blood circulation, stimulates the nerves, helps the body relax, and enables you to sleep well.
- You should take advantage of wooden pots for foot soak, because wood absorbs the best medicine. Besides, you can add a few pebbles into the foot bath to get more effective.
- Do not soak your feet before and after eating in 1 hour. The best period of time for soaking your feet into the water is at 5 or 9 pm along with the temperatures about 38-43 degrees Celsius, but not more than 45 degrees Celsius because if the heat is high, it can damage your leg, affecting blood circulation. Then keep the temperature stable by adding hot water, and soak until the body warms up.
- Pregnant women should not soak their feet, because hot water that causes blood to the legs and will not pump up the brain, causing chest pain, dizziness, and enlargement of the veins, causing swelling of the mother's gourd heavier. If you want, you can only use warm water to wash your feet
- Women who are menstruating, young children during puberty, whose body functions are not stable, should also avoid soaking feet.
- People having weakened limbs and being prone to hypotension ought to avoid soaking feet.
- Starving people and people with heart disease, low blood pressure, or dizziness should not soak feet with hot water, or soak for too long.
In case you often do not sleep well, or you cannot have a deep sleep just because the body is not sufficient supply of protein before going to bed. To overcome this condition, experts suggest that instead of eating sugary substances, starchy substances, you should eat a boiled egg which will help you sleep better and more deeply.
12. Home Remedies For Sleep Disorders – Milk
Milk is rich in protein and amino acids, which help stimulate the production of serotonin and melatonin in the human body, thereby improving sleep quality. In particular, honey is one of the best natural ingredients to help produce melatonin in the brain. This is one of the main ingredients that make you feel sleepy easily without any hurdles.
Maintaining regular drinking milk together with some honey and vanilla extract as a healthy and good habit every night will help you fall asleep faster and sleep better.
How to do:
- Take a glass of milk and heat until it boils.
- When the milk is still hot, add a tablespoon of honey and vanilla extract.
- Stir well and drink when the milk is warm to bring the best effect.
Almonds contain nutrients to help you get a good night's sleep. They are rich in tryptophan and magnesium, which helps to reduce the concentration of nerves. Almonds are also a great food to help our hearts work steadily and rhythmically while sleeping. Just eating a handful of almonds during the day is enough for you to sleep well all night
14. Home Remedies For Sleep Disorders – Sweet Potatoes
Medical doctors choose sweet potatoes as the best night food to have a good night's sleep. It is the potassium in sweet potato helps to relax muscles. Moreover, potassium also helps the brain to sleep comfortably. In addition, thanks to the complex starches which slow down digestion, sweet potatoes can supply enough energy for the body to be consumed throughout the night. In addition, high levels of vitamin B6 in sweet potatoes also play an important role in many brain functions, including the production of serotonin and melatonin, which makes people sleep easier.
How to boil sweet potato to gain best taste:
- Cleanse the 2 to 3 potatoes with water
- Put potatoes into cold water pot then boil
- Make sure the potatoes are submerged
- Add some1/3 teaspoon of coffee salt to the pot
- Boil until when you get chopsticks through the sweet potatoes without stirring them
- Keep boiling until the water is evaporated completely
- Continue remain the heat for 2 minutes until sweet potatoes are slightly scorched.
Kiwi is full of serotonin, a substance that stimulates the brain regulates the cycle of sleep. A study in the Taiwanese newspaper showed that pregnant women who suffer sleep apnea, eat kiwi 1 hour before going to bed for about a month can shorten the time to fall asleep about more than 45 minutes, even increased sleep time. Moreover, kiwi contains a large amount of magnesium and vitamin C – two substances have a positive influence on brain operation, stimulating synthesis and neurotransmitters. Calcium contained in kiwi helps to stabilize the mentality. For kiwi is another effective method for stopping sleep disorder
Here is what you need to do:
- Take two fresh kiwis
- Peel off their skin
- Cut kiwi into small pieces
- Add kiwi pieces together with condensed milk into a blender
- Grind for 2-3 minutes, until the mixture is smooth, dissolved
- Pour the juice in a glass.
- It can be decorated with a slice of kiwi or a few mint leaves.
Note when making use of kiwi fruit juice as one of home remedies for sleep disorders:
- For a delicious glass of kiwi, you should choose the fresh, ripe and not crushed kiwifruit. It is also possible to grind with ice together or you can place the glass of kiwi fruit juice in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- You can add or remove fresh milk or sugar depending on your taste.
16. Home Remedies For Sleep Disorders – Garlic
Because garlic is edible, it is widely used as food. Garlic, however, has been also a successful treatment among home remedies for sleep disorders for years. The two easy methods using garlic are another effective remedy for sleep disorder you should try.
Method 1: Place Garlic Under The Pillow
Placing garlic under your pillow will help you to improve sleep, making it easier for you to go to sleep more deeply because it helps eliminate the negative effects of sleep, such as psychological instability, the effects of the environment you are exposed to during the day. As a result, when you wake up, you will feel more alert, healthier and work better.
All you have to do is just to put garlic under the pillow and sleep properly. Alternatively, you can also put garlic in your pocket. This also works the same way. Yet, remember that do not use too thick pillow as this will reduce the positive effect of garlic.
Method 2: Apply Direct On The Skin
- Remove garlic skin and wash thoroughly cloves of garlic
- Take six garlic cloves
- Pound the cloves
- Put the pounded garlic cloves into a thin and soft cloth
- Warp the cloth around your foot
Note: Garlic can cause irritation on the skin, so you should not let garlic over 30 minutes on the skin and not be used often. You can use 2 times a day to avoid blistering, direct skin contact with garlic.
The effects of insufficient sleep, insomnia are frightening. Some people may look down on breathing and consider that it is unnecessary to learn the righteous way for breathing. It is completely such a wrong thought because according to a research published in Daily Mail, it mentioned that if you learn the techniques to breathe correctly, you can have a deep sleep in just solely 60 seconds without resorting to any kinds of drugs.
How to implement this method is quite simple as it does not waste your time much but the effect is great, everyone can apply. This method will help you to increase the amount of oxygen to the lungs, help the nervous system relax, increase the ability to keep calm and help you fall asleep easily.
Let’s do as follows:
- Exhale completely
- Keep your mouth shut and inhale through the nose, and count from 1 to 4.
- Keep your breath while counting from 1 to 7.
- Exhale completely by mouth and count from 1 to 8.
- Continue repeating the inhaling and exhaling steps according to the above procedure.
- Redo 2 times each night in 6 repeatedly weeks
18. Home Remedies For Sleep Disorders – Do Exercise
Gentle exercise improves sleep quality and reduces sleep complaints. Therefore, before going to bed, relax with some yoga moves that can help you sleep better . However, do not do a solid workout before bedtime because that rush of the endorphins hormone after this activity is the reason why you cannot sleep at night. Thus, if you want to do a solid workout, shift it to the morning.
Note: Please be reminded that it is just a light exercise, not a workout. Heavy intensity exercise in the evening has a backward reaction, which makes it harder to sleep because of stimulation and excitement.
19. Change Some Habits
Do not think too much before you go to bed. If you still think about it, get out of bed, take a leisurely walk or read a book until you are tired to bed. You can hear the pendulum clock and count down while sleeping or counting down. It is also possible to recite a poem or sing a soft song. But if you still find it difficult to sleep, try the following exercises:
- Put a pillow between your legs: Back pain can make it difficult for many people to have long sleep. If you have pain in the limbs, try putting a pillow between your legs, making your hips better and reducing the strain on your back to sleep.
- Choose a comfortable pillow: Choose the suitable pillow, which is not too high or too low. Besides, the pillow must make sure that when you lay down, spine and neck are alignment. A comfortable pillow will help you sleep deeply, avoid fatigue as well as stiff neck when waking up.
- Always sleep in a clean, airy bedroom: To get a good night's sleep, it is certain to own a clean bed and your bedroom must be airy and have fewer appliances. There is no doubt that a dirty, smelly bed will make you feel itchy, uncomfortable and difficult to sleep. If you have asthma or allergic conditions, you need to pay attention to cleaning your bed and all the objects on it so that dust and other factors do not interfere with your sleep.
- Turn off all electronic devices: Electronic devices in the bedroom such as mobile phones, digital watches, televisions etc. are proven to possess short waves of blue light which can affect your sleep. Such light wake your brain up and be alert all the times. Therefore, turn off all blue light equipments before going to bed about one hour, then you will find ease to sleep.
- Get rid of smoking: Many scientists have unveiled the discovery that smoking cigarettes will break the biological clock in the lungs and brain. Additionally, smokers are two times more likely to suffer from sleep disorder than normal people. The main reason is due to the stimulators in cigarettes that cause swelling of the muscles, tissues of the nose and throat, thereby affecting the respiratory process. As a result, it disrupts your sleep. Thus, it is obvious that avoidance of alcohol can encourage your sleeping habits.
- Stop drinking alcoholic beverages: Alcohol is a diuretic, which causes you urinate a lot. Consequently, your body is easily dehydrated. Dehydration is the cause of headaches, dizziness, hotness in the body and anxiety throughout the night. Your sleep is definitely being interfered. Some people are inclined to over drinking and they will suffer from server consequences due to this behavior. Additionally, the adverse impact which alcohol can cause is the rebound effect of often waking up after drinking. Therefore, instead of drinking alcohol, you can replace it with healthy pure water.
- Taking a bath: According to a research, it shows that heat is released from the body quickly and easily while people are sleeping. This point explains why the skin feels a little warmer at night. However, this change does not happen ideally as we think about it; instead it can interrupt your sleep. For that reason taking a bath will assist your better sleep. But you need to be reminded that the best time to take a shower is 90 minutes before you take a sleep because it is enough for the body to regulate the circadian rhythm. As soon as you take a bath, your body will heat up and you will feel more alert, but afterward, your body begins the calming process, and you will feel better at rest.
20. Home Remedies For Sleep Disorders – Avoid Some Foods That Cause Insomnia
- Spicy food: Spicy food can lead to stomach pain and chemicals can trigger the senses to make you awake at night.
- High sugar and carbohydrate foods: Sweet foods such as chocolate cakes or other desserts can increase blood sugar levels, and simple sugar molecules such as fructose are found in fruit, and galactose is found. In dairy products, along with double sugars like lactose, maltose and sucrose all contribute to abnormal sleep, if consumed late at night.
- Red meat and other proteins: The consumption of red meat late at night will not be digested in time and will stagnate in your stomach throughout the night, causing sleep problems.
- Fatty Foods: Fatty foods that are consumed too late will cause the stomach cannot rest before going to bed.
- Alcohol: Late night alcohol disturbs sleep and can cause sleep deprivation at night.
- Caffeine: Stimulants can cause sleep problems.
21. Sip Chamomile Tea
If you like curling up with something warm after dinner, go for a mug of chamomile. By sipping this herbal tea before bed, you will not only feel drowsier, but also calmer thanks to the calming effect of this caffeine-free tea.
22. Home Remedies For Sleep Disorders – Practice Meditation
Mindfulness, guided meditation and healing prayer are some home remedies for sleep disorders in adults. They can help you alleviate stress and put you into a positive space which enhances your sleep quality.
Just simply take some deep breaths, then let it out slowly. Without thinking anything, you concentrate on relaxing your whole body. After that, spend several minutes on reflecting the things that you feel thankful for. Just dwell on positive parts or the bright things of your day because it will give a positive effect on relieving your mind from anxiety and stress.
Scientists suggest that practicing meditation can act as a supportive and complementary remedy for sleep disorder .
You have discovered our natural home remedies for sleep disorders in children and adults. Hope that these natural sleep aids can work well to help improve your sleep quality. Despite they are not miracle solutions for your sleep disorder, they are safe and cost-effective for all of you. Indeed, sleep is an important part of our health and well-being. Therefore, you had better take it seriously and seek for the help of a professional healthcare provider if you cannot get your sleep under control. Also, consider creating a journal which can track your results and determine more effectively what works for you.
For any contributing ideas about our article of 22 Natural Home Remedies For Sleep Disorders in Children and Adults, do not hesitate to drop your words at the bottom of the entry. We appreciate and will reply as soon as possible.
For further natural tips and tricks about health and beauty, visit our Home Remedies Category here.