Today, there are a lot of reasons why people feel the urge to lighten and whiten their skin. That is why many articles about tips and tricks for skin whitening were published, but not all of them are suitable and affordable for everyone. Reading this article means that you want to know some ways to lighten your skin, right? First of all, we want to emphasize that our methods of skin whitening focus on natural ways, using easy-to-find ingredients which are around our house. If you are looking for fastest ways to get fairer skin, then skip this entry. If you want to have fair skin naturally, affordably then keep reading it. However, before learning what natural home remedies for skin whitening and glowing are, you should understand some basics about skin.
What Determines The Skin Color?
Skin color is determined by the amount of melanin in the human skin. This is a pigment produced by many specialized cells named melanocytes. Normally, people having dark skin will possess more melanin than those with lighter skin.
The amount of melanin your skin has will decide your genetic makeup. Hormones, sun exposure, skin damage, and exposure t some chemicals could also impact the production of melanin. As usual, the changes in skin color will usually handle themselves. For example, if you have sun tans, then tans will go away when the amount of direct exposure to sun rays is decreased. However, over time, some specific discolorations like “liver” spots, or “age” spots will get more or less permanent.
How About Skin Bleaching?
In essence, skin bleaching is a cosmetic treatment which aims to decrease the prominence of skin discolorations and even out skin color. People can purchase bleaching creams by prescription or over the counter.
A number of individuals apply skin lightener to their whole body in order to change their original complexion, but it comes with many risks. The active ingredient in certain skin lighteners is mercury which may result in mercury poisoning.
Mercury, being a toxic agent, could lead to serious neurological, psychiatric, and kidney issues. Those pregnant women using skin lighteners with mercury may pass the harmful mercury to their unborn baby.
Today, mercury used in skin lighteners is banned in the U.S. But, some skin lighteners manufactured outside the U.S might still have mercury.
How Do Commercial Skin Lighteners Work?
Skin lighteners have an active ingredient or a combination of ingredients which decrease the melanin amount in the skin where it is put on.
It is estimated that the most commonly used ingredient in regard to skin lighteners traded in the U.S is hydroquinone. In accordance to the FDA, the use of this substance in the OTC skin lighteners in the U.S could have up to 2% hydroquinone. Some dermatologists could write usual prescriptions for skin lighteners containing from 4 to 6% of hydroquinone.
Thus, it is very important to consult your doctor before using any product having hydroquinone and to follow exactly the directions of the doctor.
Other skin lighteners use drugs like steroids as well as retinoic acid coming from vitamin A as active ingredients. Some skin lighteners use natural ingredients like kojic acid, which is a compound coming from a fungus, and arbutin, which is a compound found in many plants.
What Are Potential Risks Of Skin Lighteners?
When it comes to commercial skin lighteners, one of the most serious risks of using skin lighteners is exposing to mercury. It is found that about 1 out of 4 every commercial skin lighteners in Asia and sold outside the U.S had mercury. In addition to the above skin lighteners, others can be:
- Long-term use might enhance the potential of skin cancer from sun exposure. Thus, always use sunscreen before going out in the sun if you are applying skin lighteners.
- Prolonged use could lead to premature aging.
- Steroids in skin lighteners might boost the risk of skin infections such as acne, skin thinning, and reduced wound healing ability.
- Applying steroids to large skin areas will provoke you to be prone to health issues related to steroid being absorbed by the human body.
- Hydroquinone might lead to untreatable and unwanted skin discoloration
- Many skin bleaching agents, even natural ingredients, could lead to allergic reaction or skin irritation.
Now, it is time to know top 38 home remedies for skin whitening and glowing. Take a look from TrueRemedies.com to discover what they are!
Top 38 Effective Home Remedies For Skin Whitening And Glowing
1. Lemon Juice
This is the first and easiest one in this list of home remedies for skin whitening. Lemon juice has been widely used as a natural skin lightener for thousands of years. Thanks to its acids which have bleaching properties and the ability of exfoliating the top layer of darker skin cells, lemon juice will help you get fairer skin without cost. But, remember that pure lemon juice may be irritating to your skin, thus it is better to combine it with some water.
What you need to do is:
- Mix lemon juice and water together with the ratio of 1:1
- Put a cotton ball in the mixture and apply it over your skin
- Wait for about15 minutes to wash it thoroughly with warm water
- Apply your moisturizer after that to avoid drying out your skin
- Do this 2-3 times per week for about 1 month.
Method 2: Lemon and potato
Potato has skin whitening properties, similarly to lemon. The combination of these ingredients will make your skin lighter more quickly.
- Take a fresh potato to grate and squeeze the juice
- Mix lemon juice and potato juice with the ratio of 1:1
- Apply it over your skin for 20 minutes and wash it with water
- Repeat this routine 2-3 times per week to get great results
For added benefits, add honey to the mixture.
Method 3: Lemon and fuller’s earth and rosewater
- Mix lemon juice, fuller’s earth and rose water as the ratio of 1:1:2
- After stirring them well, you apply it your skin where you want to lighten its color
- Wait for 20 minutes and wash with water
- Repeat this method 2-3 times per week
If there is not fuller’s earth, then consider glycerin as an alternative.
Method 4: Lemon juice and honey (with/without essential oils)
Honey with its ability to soothe the skin can alleviate the irritation caused by bleaching properties of lemon juice (if any). This method is particularly suitable for people with sensitive skin.
- Mix lemon juice with honey as the ratio of 2:1
- Apply the mixture over yours kin and massage before washing it off with water
- Repeat this routine every day
For additional effects, you can also add some milk, or yogurt or olive oil to the combination and do the same method.
Method 5: Home remedies for skin whitening with Lemon and turmeric
Turmeric is not only famous for its usages in the kitchen, but also helps with skin issues. It can clear acne scars, oil secretion and inflammation in all natural ways. You can combine lemon juice with turmeric to achieve the goal of skin whitening. But how to do that? Follow these guidelines:
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of turmeric powder and lemon juice
- After stirring well, you apply it over your skin
- Wait for 15 minutes to wash it with cold water
- Re-apply this method every day before your bed time.
You can also use yogurt for added benefits. If there is no turmeric powder, then you can also resort kasturi manjal powder (wild turmeric) for the same purpose.
- While using this method, you need to limit your sun exposure. Always use a sunscreen when you have to go out in the sun.
- Make sure that you do not have any wound on the skin because the acidic nature of lemon juice could lead to pain in those wounds
- If you have sensitive skin or be allergic to lemon, avoid this ingredient.
2. Home Remedies For Skin Whitening – Yogurt
The white and thick layers of yogurt can soothe skin cells. Also, it is a skin whitening agent which offers a significant change in your skin tone. There are some reasons why yogurt is available in this list of home remedies for skin whitening. First, it has lactic acid which can moisturize and nourish the dry skin. Second, it has zinc, calcium, vitamin B5, B12, B2, which can not only slow down the aging process and decrease wrinkles and fine line while healing flaky and dry skin, brightening dull skin and encouraging new healthy skin cell growth . Third, the milk astringent properties of yogurt will help tighten both the pores and tissues of skin  . To use yogurt for skin whitening, there are many methods, but here are the most effective ones:
Method 1: Yogurt and honey
- Mix yogurt and honey together with the ratio of 1:1/2 to have a good paste
- Then, apply it over your skin
- Wash it thoroughly with tepid water after 15 minutes
- Do this method 3 times a week.
Method 2: Yogurt and rice powder
The combination between yogurt and rice powder gives you an amazing scrub which can eliminate white head while lightening the skin efficiently.
- Combine rice powder and yogurt together to have a thick paste
- Put this paste on your skin and remove it with water after 15 minutes
- Follow this routine thrice per week for 1 month or so to see good results
You can also add turmeric powder and olive oil to the mixture above for additional benefits.
Method 3: Yogurt, sugar and sandalwood powder
Sugar exfoliates your dead skin cells while sandalwood powder can absorb the excess oil from the skin .
- Mix yogurt, turmeric, sugar and sandalwood powder with the ratio of 4:1:1:1
- Apply the mixture onto your skin and massage gently for a few minutes
- Wait for 15 extra minutes and rinse it thoroughly with cool water
- Repeat this process thrice per week for quick results
Aside from the home remedies for skin whitening using yogurt mentioned above, you can also combine yogurt with some other ingredients to get lighter skin, such olive oil, chamomile essential oil, cucumber and parsley, egg white, strawberry, potato, matcha green tea, aloe vera, basil, etc .
This is my favorite method when it comes to home remedies for skin whitening. It works for me amazingly. The most important ingredient in skin care is vitamin C, which you could get a lot from oranges. Moreover, orange with its bleaching effects can brighten your skin tone naturally and safely. According to studies, regular consumption of fresh orange juice can greatly improve the texture and suppleness of your skin. You can apply two methods to lighten skin using oranges . Here they are:
- Mix a pinched of turmeric powder with 2 tablespoons of orange juice
- Apply this combination on your skin before your bed time
- Wash it off after 20 minutes or so
- Repeat this routine every day
- Grind orange peels into good powder
- Mix it with 1 tablespoon of yogurt to have a good paste
- Put that paste on your skin for 20 minutes and wash it with water
- Do it 1-2 times per week, no more than that
4. Home Remedies For Skin Whitening – Activated Charcoal
Activated charcoal can pull out the dust, dirt and grime presenting in your skin pores. Also, it can absorb the toxins as well as excess oil which are responsible for breakouts on the skin. You can buy activated charcoal in the form of capsules. This form is easy to work with as it is less messy in compared with opening a bottle of activated charcoal powder, which might leave black stain everywhere. Besides, some particles might go into your nose, making you sneeze.
You can use activated charcoal as a cleanser as the methods introduced here:
- Mix 1 teaspoon of activated charcoal with a few drops of water
- Stir them well to have a good paste
- Apply it over your facial skin and neck
- Wait for 10 minutes before washing it with tepid water
- Do it once per day
Method 2: Activated charcoal facial scrub
Another manner to use activated charcoal as one of effective home remedies for skin whitening is to make a scrub out of it.
- Mix the contents of 2 activated charcoal capsules with 1 teaspoon of baking soda and 2 teaspoons of raw honey.
- Scrub the mixture over your face for once or twice per week to see great results
If you are the raw form of activated charcoal, then know that tiles, clothes and vessels might be stained if being contacted with it. Thus, it is always better to wear old clothes and wash completely after removing the mixture. Also, use a glass container for that mixture.
5. Home Remedies For Skin Whitening – Baking Soda
Baking soda is the substance composed of a pH neutralizer and sodium, exfoliating dead skin cells. Baking soda’s pH level can neutralize the acid – alkaline nature of the human skin. Additionally, it acts as an exfoliant helping remove cellular damage in darkened skin, not to mention its antifungal, antibacterial antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties which can clear all infections of the skin plus with its scars. Baking soda, on the other hand, also evens skin tone and prevents the buildup from clogged skin pores. It can cleanse the skin deeply through absorbing excess oil.
Method 1: Baking soda only
- Mix 2 tablespoons of baking soda with 1 tablespoon of water
- Apply the paste over your skin and massage in circular moitions
- Wait for a few minutes to rinse with tepid water, followed by cold water
- Pat the skin dry
- Re-apply this mixture 3-4 times per week
- Rose water, almond milk or butter milk could be used as an alternative for normal water.
- For relaxing effect, you can add a drop of any essential oil to the mixture.
Method 2: Baking soda and oat flour
Baking soda and oatmeal have a grainy texture, exfoliating the skin to eradicate dead skin cells while activating the cells to lighten it.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda with the same amount of water
- Then, add 2 tablespoons of oat flour into to have a thick paste
- Apply the paste over your skin and scrub gently.
- Wash off after 2-3 minutes
Method 3: Baking soda detox bath
- Put 1-2 cups of baking soda and 2 cups of Epsom salt to your bath
- After stirring then well, soak yourself in that solution for 30 minutes and wash your skin with plain water afterwards
- Also, you can add ¼ cup of corn starch
- Repeat this method regularly
Method 4: Baking soda and lemon
Lemon juice with its vitamin C can act as a bleaching agent.
- Mix freshly squeezed lemon juice with ½ cup of baking soda
- Apply it over your skin and rub gently
- Wait for 5 minutes before washing it off
If you want to get soften skin, add some essential oil or honey .
6. Gram Flour
The natural ingredient of gram flour empowers you to lighten your skin naturally. It works for all skin types. Gram flour can control the secretion of oil and absorb excess sebum and oil on your skin. Furthermore, its alkalizing properties maintain normal pH level of the skin. Using it will remove toxins and dirt from deep skin layers to boost natural glow. It also encourages new skin cell production while tightening sagging skin.
If you would like to include this ingredient into your beauty regimen, then follow these methods:
Method 1: Gram flour and rose water
- Mix gram flour with rose water as the ratio of 1:2
- After stirring well, apply the mixture on your skin
- Wait for 20 minutes before removing it using cold water
- Do this twice or thrice per week
Note: You could also use milk, curd, water or honey to replace with rose water.
Method 2: Gram flour and fenugreek seeds
This homemade pack will not only remove blackheads and whiteheads but also brighten the skin.
- After soaking a handful of fenugreek seeds in water for several hours, you grind them to have a good paste
- Mix it with 2 tablespoons of gram flour, followed by several drops of lemon juice
- Stir them well and apply onto your skin
- Wash it off after 20 minutes
- Repeat this process twice or thrice per week
Method 3: Home remedies for skin whitening with gram flour and tomato
Using this pack will help you get rid of unattractive and dull skin.
- Take a ripe tomato to blend with 1 tablespoon of gram flour
- Apply it over your skin, gently scrub and wait for 20 minutes to rinse it off with water
- Repeat this process twice or thrice per week
Note: Add a pinch of turmeric if you want to have extra benefits.
7. Aloe Vera
It is estimated that aloe vera has up to 150 nutritional components, including enzymes, minerals, salicylic acids, lignins, sterols, anthraquinones, and amino acids. Containing 97% water, aloe vera will naturally hydrate your skin without clogging skin pores. Besides, its antioxidants such as selenium, magnesium, and zinc can repair as well as protect the skin from being damaged by harsh chemicals, pollution and sun. What is more, the vitamins and minerals in aloe vera will alleviate skin pigmentation by decreasing the production of melanin in the skin.
Other benefits that aloe vera can bring to your skin is oil and sebum reduction, skin moisturizing and soothing. All you have to do to make use of this ingredient for skin whitening include:
Method 1: Aloe vera and lemon
- Extract the gel of a fresh aloe vera leaf
- Mix it with the lemon juice of 2 fresh lemons
- Put this mixture over your clean skin and rinse it off after 15 minutes
You can store the remained in the fridge for about 1 week.
Method 2: Aloe vera, tomato and orange lentil
Tomato has natural bleaching effects while orange lentil cleanses the excess oil .
- Soak orange lentil over night, then blend it to have a good paste
- Take the gel of a aloe vera leaf and grate out the pulp from half of a tomato
- Mix them well and apply the mixture over your skin for 15 minutes
- Rinse it with cold water then
- Repeat this routine a few times per week
Other ingredients can be combined with aloe vera for skin whitening are green tea, avocado, oatmeal, cucumber, mango, gram flour, shea butter, sandalwood powder, neem, vitamin E, and rice flour.
8. Home Remedies For Skin Whitening – Sugar
Sugar is reckoned one of great natural products for exfoliation. The texture of sugar exfoliates dead skin cells, revealing new skin layer underneath. Moreover, it helps remove the skin cells damaged by the sun while increasing collagen production and blood flow. For scrubbing, you could make use of either white or brown sugar.
- Mix sugar and honey together with the ratio of 3:2
- Mix them well and apply a thick layer of this mixture over your skin
- Massage in circular motions for several minutes
- Wait for 5 extra minutes and rinse it off with tepid water
- Do this routine twice per week
As an alternative, you could also mix sugar with coconut oil, chocolate, essential oils, oatmeal or any fruit pulp.
Sea salt or Epsom salt could breathe a brand new life into a tired-looking and lifeless skin. Epsom salts has sulfates and magnesium which remove toxins and decrease inflammation. On the other hand, sea salts have minerals beneficial for the skin. Salt’s grainy texture can exfoliate dead skin cells. For scrubbing purpose, you can use either sea salt, or plain salt Epsom salt, and kosher salt.
- Put ½ and 2 tablespoons of salt in a bowl
- Then, add 4 tablespoons of salt, the juice extracted from a lemon, and some lavender buds
- Mix all ingredients well and pour them in an airtight container
- Next, use enough amount of this mixture to rub on your skin gently
- After scrubbing for a few minutes, wash it off with water
- Repeat this routine twice per week
Method 2: Salt and essential oils
- Mix 1 cup of sea salt / Epsom salt with ½ cup of almond oil, followed by 5-10 drops of essential oil (orange, geranium, or peppermint)
- Mix them together and store in the fridge
- When you have a bath, use them to massage over your skin for several minutes
- Wash it off with water and pat it dry
- Do it twice per week
Oatmeal, among other home remedies for skin whitening, is a gentle exfoliating agent which is suitable for even people with sensitive skin. Oatmeal’s gritty nature helps in exfoliating the excess sebum, oil, dirt as well as dead skin cells. Also, it reverses the damaged resulted from UV rays, pollution and harsh chemicals.
- Grind oatmeal to have a coarse powder
- Mix them with buttermilk to have a thick paste
- Apply it over your skin and massage it in circular motions for about 2 minutes
- Wait for a few minutes
- Wash it off with tepid water, then followed by cool water
- Redo this method 2 or 3 times per week
You could also mix oatmeal with some ingredients to get faster results, be it coffee, gram flour, sugar, milk, yogurt, or fruit pulp.
11. Home Remedies For Skin Whitening – Witch Hazel
This herb has astringent properties, helping shrink open skin pores, kill the bacteria presenting in the skin pores, prevent aging and stop cellular damage .
- Take a cotton ball to apply witch hazel mixed with water on the skin
- Wait till it dries and rinse it off with water
- Repeat this routine twice per day
This fruit is regularly used in many beauty treatments and could be used to help brighten the skin complexion. Papaya is strongly believed to have natural bleaching properties along with a variety of nutrients. You can make use of papaya as a fruit and the cleansing properties of it can cleanse your skin from impurities from inside out . Other ways to use papaya for skin whitening are:
- Blend two papaya peel with 1 teaspoon of honey and 5-10 drops of lemon juice
- Mix them well and apply over your skin
- Rinse off after 15 minutes
Note: This method is not suitable for sensitive skin.
Method 2: Papaya and milk
The combination of papaya and milk works as an anti-aging and skin firming mask. Additionally, it helps remove blemishes.
- Mix 1 cup of papaya with 3 tablespoons of milk
- Apply the mixture over your skin and rinse it off after 20 minutes
- You can also use curd to replace with milk
- Repeat this method 2-3 times per day
Method 3: Papaya, banana and cucumber
This face pack will hydrate, exfoliate, soften the skin, and remove scars, dark spots and pigmentation.
- Chop ½ ripe papaya and peel it
- Then, mix it with ½ banana and ¼ cucumber to blend to have a good paste
- Apply it over your skin and wait for 30 minutes
- Repeat this routine twice or thrice per week
Method 4: Papaya and orange juice
- Peel ¼ papaya before chopping it into small pieces
- Then, mix it with 1 tablespoons of orange juice
- Apply this mixture over your skin by using your fingertips or a cotton ball
- Wait for 15 minutes and wash it off
- Do this twice or thrice per week
Some great ingredients you can combine papaya with include vitamin E oil, yogurt, sugar, lemon juice, bentonite clay, aloe vera, almond oil, or pineapple.
Often used in cooking, turmeric is also good at improving skin tone. It can build up the melanin content to help maintain an even skin tone. Besides, with antiseptic and antioxidant properties, turmeric is good for your skin in general.
- Mix turmeric powder with milk cream to have a thick paste
- Apply that paste over your skin and let it dry before washing it off with tepid water
- Do it regularly to get noticeable results
Or, you could also mix ½ teaspoon of turmeric with 2 teaspoons of gram flour and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Apply it over your skin for 20 minutes or so or till it becomes dry. After scrubbing for a few minutes, you wash your skin with tepid water.
15. Home Remedies For Skin Whitening – Cucumber
As mentioned earlier in the home remedies for skin whitening, cucumber are often combined with other ingredients for skin lightening purpose. Cucumber can bind collagen and give your skin a firm and supple texture which has light tone. Also, cucumber possesses a cooling effect and is suitable for all types of skin.
- Prepare some cucumber slices and place them directly on your skin. Wait for a few minutes before washing it off with water. Do it twice per day.
- Alternatively, you can also grate a cucumber to mix it with honey so you will get a spot-reducing face mask. Apply it over your skin and wait for 15 minutes to wash it with cold water. Do it twice per day.
- Combine 1 teaspoon each of cucumber juice and lemon juice and put the mixture over your skin. After 15 minutes, rinse it off with water. Repeat this routine daily for 2 – 3 weeks.
16. Mint Leaves
Mint is famous for its salicylic acid and astringent properties, so it is helpful in removing dead skin cells and dust, and tightening the skin pores.
- Take 1 ½ cup of water to boil up
- Add 1 cup of shredded mint leaves into and let it simmer for 5 minutes
- Remove it from the heat and let it steep for another 5 minutes
- After straining, you let the solution cool down
- Put a cotton ball in the solution and apply it onto your skin
- Wait till it dries entirely and wash it off with water
- Store the remained solution in the fridge
- Repeat this daily
17. Fruit Mask
If you want to have a lighter skin, in addition to the above methods, you should also use fruit masks to get faster results. Fruits are reckoned the best manners to brighten skin. Even, a fruit mask can enhance the skin radiance, prevent it from being sagged, and increase elasticity naturally. You could make use of some fruits to create face masks, such as papaya, pineapple, strawberry, kiwi, berries, avocado, apple, etc.
- Blend any fruit of your choice
- Apply it over your skin and wait for 15 minutes
- Wash it off with water and pat dry
- For added benefits, you could add gram flour, honey, oatmeal or rice flour.
18. Home Remedies For Skin Whitening – Clay Mask
Clays, one of must-try home remedies for skin whitening, are renowned for its amazing absorbing and skin lightening properties. Using it will leave your skin firm and supple. Also, it strengthens your skin tissues, lighten scars and reduce inflammation. There are a few types of clays, such as white clay, green clay, kaolin clay, bentonite clay, and morocco clay. You could use any type to get lighter skin.
- Mix 4 tablespoons of clay with a small amount of water to have a good paste
- Spread that paste over your skin as a thick layer
- Wait for 20 minutes before washing it off entirely
19. Licorice Root Extract
This is a popular remedy for different skin issues like psoriasis and eczema. It has gabridin wihc can reduce production of melanin, therefore lightening skin. Also, it is great in treating dark spots as well as scars on the human skin.
- Boil some licorice root
- Let it cool down and strain it up
- Apply the extract over your skin and wait overnight to rinse it off with water
20. Home Remedies For Skin Whitening – Milk
If applied topically, the lactic acid in milk can help diminish the visibility of skin pigmentation and lighten complexion. Also, milk has calcium which aids in maintaining an effective barrier against moisture loss when applied on the top layer of the skin. As a result, the skin will be prevented from excessive dryness – a trigger of uneven skin color. If you use milk regularly, it will make your skin lighten up.
You can use milk for skin whitening in either these methods:
- Pour some milk in a bowl, soak a cotton ball in it and wring it out
- Apply it over your skin, remember to refresh it
- Do this for a few minutes and wait for a few hours before rinsing it off with water
- Soak a sliced lemon in ½ cup of milk for about 15 minutes.
- Rub the lemon piece on your face before your bed time
- Wash your skin in the next morning
It is very important to maintain some of the home remedies for skin whitening for a period to get noticeable results. Because they are natural methods, so regular and consistent usage are necessary. It takes time to see visible changes. In case that you use these methods for a significant amount of time but without any effect, then you could switch to another method. Also, bear in mind that healthy skin is as crucial as a beautiful skin tone. Thus, maintain healthy skin as well.
If you have any contributing idea about this article of “38 Home Remedies For Skin Whitening And Glowing” feel free to leave your words below this post. We appreciate your comments and will reply as soon as we could.
For further reference about natural remedies for health and beauty issues, do not hesitate to visit our Home Remedies page.