Sun tan happens when your skin is not protected by clothes or sunscreen and gets too much sun. It could tan or burn. But, the fact is, some people get sunburn while others get a suntan. Why? The human beings have something named melanin in skin. It is something that gives the human skin its color. Those people having dark skin have more melanin in compared with people with light skin. The melanin is made by your body to help protect the deeper layers of your skin from being damaged. When your skin is damaged by sun rays, more melanin will be produced to try to protect your skin more. It causes changes in skin’s color. People with light skin will become more red, burn when going in the sun while those with dark skin will turn darker brown.
Even when you have naturally dark skin, always tan or never burn, it still means that the sun is harmfully damaging your skin. You could still suffer from wrinkles and skin cancer in some days.  
What Are Possible Harmful Effects Of Sun Tan?
Excessive exposure to ultra violet rays of the sun will increase the production of melanin in your skin; thus, leading to the darkening of skin. Sun tan often happens on the exposed body parts such as face, neck, arms, hands, and legs. There are many problems caused by a sun tan, which are:
- Dark spots
- Fine lines
- Premature aging
- Skin burn
- Skin cancer
Top 27 Effective Ways On How To Remove Sun Tan From Face, Neck, Arms And Legs
There are many ways to follow when it comes to learning how to remove sun tan. Rather than going for expensive cosmetic products which are jam packed with harmful chemicals as well as bleaching agents, you should consider using some homemade methods prepared from natural ingredients which are easy-to-find and simple-to-use. This article from TrueRemedies will show you top effective ways on how to remove sun tan from face, neck, arms and legs. Take a look!
1. Lemon Juice
Lemon has acidic nature and is rich in citric acid as well as vitamin C. This helps lighten your skin tone. Vitamin C can neutralize the damage caused by UV rays along with free radicals. Also, thanks to natural bleaching properties, lemon is a great solution for learning how to remove sun tan from face, neck, arms and legs. Follow these methods:
- Apply fresh lemon juice over your affected skin areas
- Let it dry for a few minutes, then wash it off with water
Method 2: Lemon juice and sugar
- Mix a small amount of lemon juice with some sugar and apply over your skin.
- Repeat this method 2-3 times per week for good results
Sugar is a great cleansing agent that supports lemon juice in removing sun tan.
Method 3: Cucumber juice, lemon juice and rosewater
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of lemon juice, cucumber juice, and rosewater together
- Use a few cotton balls to apply the mixture onto your affected skin areas
- Wait for 15 minutes to let it dry and rinse it off with cold water.
Cucumber juice also has natural bleaching agents which can lighten red patches of your skin that are caused by suntan. At the same time, rosewater and cucumber are also cooling agents which can soothe blemished skin.
- To prevent allergies or reactions, you should do a patch test
- Avoid going out in the sun right after applying these methods
2. Tomato Juice
Similar to lemon, when it comes to tips on how to remove sun tan, tomato juice is a great option. It is slightly acidic and has a high level of antioxidants. They might react with skin pigments and lighten sun tanned areas. It is thanks to lycopene available in this fruit. Lycopene is a powerful antioxidant, which could decrease the inflammatory response to UV damage by neutralizing harmful molecules which are produced in the human skin as a consequence.
According to a study, people who consumed 5 tablespoons of lycopene-rich tomato paste every day for about 3 months had 25% moiré natural protection against sun tan and sunburn. You can take advantage of tomato for sun tan relief by indulging in fresh tomatoes or adding organic ketchup to your daily meals for a lycopene boost. Actually, eating tomatoes will not make you invincible in the fierce sun but it might be a useful factor to sun protection, aside from sunscreen, clothing or shade.
You can also follow the steps below:
- Take a fresh tomato to cut into halves
- Release the juice into a bowl and use a cotton ball to apply directly to your skin
- Wait for 15 minutes before washing it off with warm water
- Repeat as necessary
3. Vitamin E Oil
Vitamin E oil is a sold in capsule form, with the capsule helping protect the oil inside. Vitamin E can also help in healing your body from inside out, if ingested, it will reduce skin damage and inflammation.
In fact, vitamin E is recommended by researchers for the use after sun, rather than pre-sun, in order to help sooth your skin and prevent a tan or burn after exposure. It is even effective if you apply vitamin E oil a half-day later, according to researchers at the University of Western Ontario in London, Ontario. However, it is still better to apply it as soon as you could. The reason why it should be applied after sun exposure, not before because when vitamin E is exposed to UV light, it produces a free radicals, which may be damaging in itself. For optimum protection, you should take daily supplements of 400 international units of vitamin E for 1-2 days. It is also okay to take oral vitamin E before going out in the sun. 
Vitamin E can be used in some ways below:
- Take 1-2 capsules of vitamin E oil and apply the oil over your skin to increase hydration of your skin and heal the UV damage.
- Eat vitamin E-rich foods, which are oatmeal, peanut butter, leafy green vegetables, and almonds.
Using yogurt is a home remedy for sun tan that does not take from you much time and effort. It is a good answer for people looking for ways on how to remove sun tan. Simply reach into your fridge and take a container of yogurt to start relieving your sun tan. Yogurt has cooling effects and tightening property, so it can reduce redness associated with sun tan.
- Add a cucumber and a tomato to a cup of plain yogurt
- Add ½ cup of gram flour (also known as besan)
- Apply it over your affected skin and wait for 30 minutes or so to wash it off with tepid water
- Place 1 cup of yogurt in a bowl and add some carrier oils and essential oils (such as tea tree oil, lavender oil) into
- Apply the mixture over your skin and wait for 30 minutes to wash it thoroughly
- Add 1 teaspoon of pure aloe vera gel to yogurt and mix them well
- Add some mashed strawberries into the mixture
- Spread the solution of your skin using your fingers and wait for 20 minutes to let the ingredients soothe your skin
- Rinse it off with water and reapply another yogurt layer if your sunburn pain still persists.
- Do a patch test before applying to your skin.
- Choose the yogurt which has live cultures.
5. Coconut Oil
We all known that coconut oil is very good for skin, hair and the overall health. It is very moisturizing, helps prevent wrinkles and fine lines, fight bacteria acne, and of course smell delicious. It is also a good solution for sun tan and sunburn. Studies showed that coconut oil has saturated fats which can be good at retaining moisture of the skin, whilst caprylic, capric, lauric acids have antimicrobial and disinfectant properties that can benefit your skin greatly.
You can use coconut oil as the followings:
- Apply a proper amount of pure coconut oil on your sun tanned skin
- Massage gently for several minutes and wait till the next morning to rinse it off with tepid water
Method 2: Coconut oil, aloe vera, lavender oil
- Mix several drops of lavender oil, aloe vera gel and ¼ cup of organic coconut oil
- Apply it over your sunburn and massage gently
- Wait for several minutes to let it dry
- Repeat this routine daily.
Method 3: Coconut oil with essential oils and castor oil
Castor oil can repair and rejuvenate the skin from damage caused by overexposure to sun rays. At the meantime, coconut oil, as mentioned earlier in this list of tips on how to remove sun tan, can heal your skin by relieving it from blistering and peeling. Essential oils can nourish the skin while aloe vera soothes your skin.
- Mix ¼ cup each of castor oil, aloe vera gel, apple cider vinegar with 2 tablespoons of vitamin E oil, ½ cup of pure coconut oil, and 3-10 drops of neem oil, tea tree oil, almond oil and jojoba oil in a bowl.
- Apply the mixture on your affected areas
- Massage gently and wait for a few minutes to wash it off with water
- Avoid using apple cider vinegar if your skin is broken
- If your skin is badly burnt, you should cool it by using apple cider vinegar cold compress prior to applying this mixture to prevent magnifying the heat on your skin
Method 4: Coconut oil and shea butter
This solution is used as a homemade sunscreen.
- Mix organic coconut oil and organic shea butter together with the ratio of 2:1
- Add 1 tablespoon of organic avocado oil with ½ teaspoon each of aloe vera gel and organic sesame oil, plus with 30 drops of carrot seed oil
- Mix them well and pour into a glass jar
- Apply the mixture as a sunscreen over your skin
6. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is the perfect treatment for a bad sun tan. The gel from aloe vera can moisturize your skin and help you avoid the peeling associated with sun damage. Aloe vera has 150 vitamins, minerals, and trace elements, like calcium, zinc, iron, magnesium, copper, zinc, manganese, potassium, amino acids, selenium, and germanium. Aloe vera does not have oil or other elements which clog pores or irritate your skin. It can penetrate deeply into your skin layers and alleviate pain along with swelling associated with sun tan.
There are many ways to use aloe vere for sun tan. You can apply one of the methods below:
- Take a fresh aloe vera leaf to extract its gel and apply over your damaged skin
- Wait for a few minutes to let it dry and well absorbed, rinse it off with water
- Repeat it 2-3 times per day
Method 2: Aloe vera and cucumber
Thanks to essential nutrients include in cucumber, they help soothe your sun tan.
- Take the gel from an aloe vera leaf and chop a peeled cucumber into pieces
- Blend aloe vera gel with cucumber in a blender and apply the mixture over your affected skin for 30 minutes
- Rinse it off with cool water
- Repeat this routine twice or thrice per day.
Method 3: Aloe vera, herbs and baking soda
- Mix aloe vera gel, witch hazel and water together with the ratio of 1:1:2
- Leave them there for 3 hours and add 3 teaspoons of baking soda plus with 1 teaspoon of peppermint oil to the mixture above
- Pour the final solution in an airtight container and put in the fridge for 24 hours
- Apply it to your sunburned skin twice or thrice per day
Method 4: Aloe vera and lavender oil
Using aloe vera can relieve inflammation and also boost tissue regeneration.
- Mix 5 drops of lavender oil with 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel
- Apply the mixture over your skin using your fingers
- Wait for 15 minutes to rinse it off with cool water
- For extra benefits, you can mix them with 2 tablespoons of melted organic coconut oil
Starchy potatoes and sweet potatoes could help lessen the harmful effects of sunburn and sun tan. But, the latter seems much better because it has beta carotene and vitamin C.
Potato when peeled and boiled and applied as a dressing could reduce the pain and promote healing process. It is rich in vitamin C which can work as natural bleach. Also, potato can soothe sunburn naturally.
- Take 2-3 medium-sized potatoes to peel off and cut into chunks
- Add a few drops of lemon juice (optional)
- Blend them in a blender and apply the paste over your affected skin for about 30 minutes
- Rinse it off with cool water
8. Gram Flour
Gram flour is another answer for people looking for tips on how to remove sun tan. It is excellent in removing dead skin cells and giving your skin bright and young beauty. You could make a paste of whole green gram or use gram flour in the powder form.
- Mix a small amount of gram flour with water and rub the mixture over your affected skin
- Wait for 20 minutes to rinse it off with water
- Reapply it twice per week for several months to get good results
You can also use rose water as an alternative for plain water. Mix some lemon juice and yogurt if you like.
Cucumber juice has cooling effect which can soothe your skin and eradicate your sun tan. Also, the vitamin C content in cucumbers can naturally moisturize your skin with ease.
What you have to do is:
- Mix fresh cucumber juice with lime juice with the ratio of 2:1
- Add a small amount of turmeric into and mix well before applying it to your skin
- Wait for 30 minutes to wash it thoroughly
Using fresh slices of cucumber can also give you similar effects.
10. Rice Powder
Rice powder has a high level of PABA which can act as a natural sunscreen. Also, the allantoin availability in rice powder can soothe your sun tan and enhance skin regeneration.
Rice powder is a rich source of vitamin B which can promote the production of new cell and slow down aging process. Using rice powder can brighten your skin through boosting collagen as well as elasticity of your skin. Follow the steps below:
Method 1: Rice powder and milk
- Take a handful of cooked rice to grind into good powder
- Mix 1 tablespoon of milk (or yogurt or water) with rice powder to create a fine paste
- Apply the paste over your skin for 15 minutes and rinse it off with cold water
- Do this method 2-3 times per week
Method 2: Rice Powder, oats and honey
- Mix ½ teaspoon of oats, 1 teaspoon of rice powder (rice flour) and a small amount of honey
- Apply the mixture over your skin for 15 minutes, rinse it off with water after that
- Follow this method 2-3 times per week
Method 3: Rice powder, green tea and lemon juice
This mixture will lighten your skin while reducing excess oil, pimples and acne.
- Steep 1 green tea bag in a cup of hot water
- Mix 2 tablespoons of rice powder with 3 tablespoons of green tea, then add 1-2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice
- Apply the mixture over your skin before washing it off with water after several minutes
- Repeat this routine thrice per week
11. Apricots And Papayas
Papayas and apricots have natural enzymes that might lighten a sun tan in many people. Follow the steps below:
- Take fresh apricots and papayas to cut into slices
- Apply them directly over your sun tanned areas for 15 minutes and rinse it off with warm water after that
- Repeat this routine daily
For larger portions of skin, puree the fruit and apply the mixture over your skin. Or, you can also make apricot or papaya juice by using a juicer and apply to your skin.
12. Kojic Acid
Kojic acid originates from fungi which can lighten sun tanned skin. Also, it has been used to treat melasma, a temporary skin darkening problem that happens during pregnancy. There are many products containing kojic acid, like soaps, lotions, oils and washes. They have different concentrations of kojic acid, so you should try a few types to find out which are suitable for your specific sun tan.
Caution: You need to do a patch test first and follow the instructions of the manufacturer.
Turmeric, one of the most versatile ingredients in the kitchen, is an excellent way on how to remove sun tan on face, neck, hands and legs naturally. Turmeric masks are often used to eliminate facial hair, lighten skin, and remove acne. What you need to do is:
- Mix 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder, ¼ teaspoon of fresh lemon juice, ¾ tablespoon each of honey and milk, and ½ tablespoon of wheat flour together to create a good paste
- Use a cotton ball to apply it over your skin, wait for 20 minutes till it dries and rinse with water
If after using turmeric, you see a yellow residue on your skin, then use a makeup remover toner or cleanser to remove the color.
The pack made from turmeric powder and besan (also known as Bengal gram) will give you an effective solution for exfoliating skin and eliminating dead skin cells. Follow the steps here:
- Mix 2 tablespoons of besan with 1 tablespoon of milk, 1 tablespoon of crushed orange peel and a pinch of turmeric in a bowl and put some cold rose water.
- Apply the mixture over your skin and wait for 20 minutes to let it dry
- Sprinkle some water on the dried areas to moisturize it and use clockwise and anti-clockwise directions of scrubbing to remove the pack.
- Apply this pack for a couple of days for an effective tan removal.
This yellow colored fruit can help you get rid of sun tan thanks to the beneficial enzymes present inside named papain. Papain has potent skin-lightening properties which can reduce the visibility of blemishes, scars and redness caused by sun tan. Papain also purifies and treats irritated skin. A good facial massage using papaya is really great for people who usually spend their time outdoors as it can fight free radicals which age their skin. Other enzymes in papaya are well-known for exfoliation, skin renewal, and restoration.
If you mix papaya with honey, it will not remove sun tan but also moisturize and soften your skin. Take the steps here:
- Mix 1 teaspoon of honey to ½ cup of ripe papaya pulp which is mashed well
- Apply it over your affected skin for about 30 minutes before rinsing it off with water
Oatmeal is considered an effective natural skin exfoliator, so it can easily fix and remove sun tan at home. Oats are rich in antioxidant and have anti-inflammatory properties, making them ideal for soothing itchy sun tanned skin. Combine oatmeal with buttermilk will give you a soothing and moisturizing solution that not only heals blisters but also eliminate redness and dead cells. What you need to do is:
- Blend ½ cup of uncooked oats and grind them into a fine powder
- Pour the powder in a bowl and add ¼ cup of buttermilk along with several tablespoons of honey
- Stir them well using a spoon to mix them
- Spread the oatmeal over your sun tanned skin and wait for 20 minutes until you relieve sun tan completely
- Wipe out the paste and rinse it off with cool water
Caution: If you notice any severe reaction to your sun tan with symptoms such as fever, nausea, chills or rashes, then stop using this treatment and consult your doctor instantly.
16. Orange Juice
One of amazing sun tan remover is a combination of orange juice and yogurt. This mixture can regenerate new skin cells thanks to the content of vitamin C available in orange. Also, collagen found in orange could slow down the aging process and tighten skin naturally.
Yogurt, on the other hand, acts as a natural moisturizer and bleach that makes skin supple and soft. What you have to do is:
- Mix orange juice and yogurt with the ratio of 1:1
- Apply the mixture over your affected skin and wait for 30 minutes to rinse it off with water
Strawberries contain tannic acid which could help relieve stinging sensation associated with sun tan. To make this work, you can follow these methods:
- Mash a few strawberries up and apply it over your affected skin for several minutes
- Wash it off with water
If you mix red berries and milk cream, you will have a skin lightening solution that improves skin complexion and decrease dark spots, freckles and pigmentation. Meanwhile, milk cream will provide deep nourishment to your skin and moisturize your skin naturally.
- Crush 4 strawberries and mix them with 2 tablespoons of milk cream
- Apply it over your affected skin
- Wait for 30 minutes to rinse it off with water
Because of medicinal properties, sandalwood when applied to sun tanned skin will help remove dead skin cells and reveal new lighter skin cells. Also, it acts as a soothing balm that can heal blisters and blemishes.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of sandalwood powder with coconut water to create a thick paste
- Add several drops of almond oil into that mixture and apply it over your skin
- After about 20 minutes, rinse it off with water
Also, known as kesar, saffron is an old ingredient for many skin care treatments. Saffron is useful in brightening, toning skin, fighting acne, and removing tan. Take the steps here to know how to remove sun tan using saffron:
- Soak some strands of saffron in 2 tablespoons of milk cream overnight
- Use your fingers to blend your skin and apply it over your skin evenly
- Wait for 20 minutes and rinse it off with water
This pack can also work as a deep moisturizer.
Pineapple has tangy and fresh flavor which is considered as the king of tropical fruits. In pineapple, the enzymes can remove dead cells from burnt and tanned areas. Also, the high content of vitamin C and antioxidants in pineapples can neutralize damaging effects of free radicals along with oxidative stress, slow down signs of aging such as freckles, wrinkles, fine lines and pigmentation.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of pineapple pulp with 1 tablespoon of honey
- Apply the mixture over your face and wait for 3 minutes to wash it off with water
21. Fuller’s Earth
Fuller’s Earther is known as Multani Mitti, which has cooling effect that can soothe and cool the skin burns and alleviate skin irritation, acne, rashes, and blemishes. To reduce sun tanned skin, you should mix fuller’s earth with aloe vera gel. This mixture will not only brighten your skin but also act as a natural cleanser.
- Mix fuller’s earth with aloe vera gel with the ratio of 2:1
- Add rose water into if you want
- Apply the mixture over your face and neck and rinse it off after 30 minutes
Cornmeal is another answer for your question on how to remove sun tan. It helps remove dead skin cells and blackheads, rather similar to oats. The minute granules of cornmeal can polish your skin gently. Especially, cornmeal is very effective in removing excess oil as well as sebum from your skin without drying out it.
- Mix cornmeal with lemon juice, and yogurt with the ratio of 2:1:1
- Then, apply the mixture over your face and massage in circular motions using your fingers for 2 minutes
- Wait for 15 minutes and cleanse with cool water
23. Wheat Flour
How to remove sun tan with easy-to-find ingredient? Applying wheat flour on tanned skin can lighten your skin, eliminate dark spots and even skin tone.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of wheat flour with some water to create a good paste
- Apply the paste over your face and wait for 15 minutes to rinse it off with water
As a result, you will get brighter and softer skin in no time.
24. Cabbage Leaves
This is a little known method for how to remove sun tan on face, neck, hands and legs. In addition to being used for your lunch salad, it can also benefit your skin. Jam packed with vitamin A, C and K, cabbage has anti-inflammatory properties which are good for tan mark removal. What you have to do is:
- Take 2 big cabbage leaves to put in the fridge
- When they are cold, place over your entire face and wait for 20 minutes
- Repeat it with fresh leaves
25. Bitter Gourd
Bitter gourd is a great solution for your stubborn sun tan thanks to its anti-oxidants. It can be easily found in your weekday menu, so making it part of your beauty routine is an excellent step to remove your sun tan.
- Take the juice of bitter gourd out and apply it over your affected skin
- Massage for a few minutes and wait for 5-7 minutes before rinsing it off with water
Not only are almonds a crunchy delight to include in morning smoothies, but they are also really great for your skin. Due to the high content of vitamin E, almonds benefit skin effectively. Almonds are also a bleaching agent that helps you remove your sun tan fast.
What you have to do is:
- Grind 4-5 almonds and add a small rose water to create a coarse paste
- Put a few drops of lemon juice to the mixture and mix them well
- Apply the final paste over your affected areas and start scrubbing for several minutes
- Wait till it dries and wash it off with water
27. Vicks Vapor Rub
This is one of the coolest methods on how to remove sun tan you can try at home. Despite it is a strange way but it works well. Follow the steps here:
- Take a small amount of Vicks vapor rub and apply it on your affected areas on your fingers
- Massage it gently and repeat it twice per day if your tanned area is large
Here, you have discovered 27 effective tips on how to remove sun tan on face, neck, arms, and legs. These tips are just for your reference. Try some of them and see how they work for you. But if after trying, your problem does not get better, consult your doctor for professional treatment. If you have any comment about this post of Top 27 Tips on How to Remove Sun Tan on Face, Neck, Arms and Legs.
For further knowledge about “how to do something” topics, feel free to refer our page How To page here.