Sun tan happens when your skin is not protected by clothing or sunscreen and gets too much sun. It could tan or burn. But, the fact is, some people get a sunburn while others get a suntan. Why? Our skin color is mainly determined by a pigment called melanin. People having dark skin have more melanin as compared to people with light skin. The melanin is made by your body to help protect the deeper layers of your skin from being damaged. When your skin is damaged by sun rays, more melanin will be produced to try to protect your skin more. It causes changes in skin color. People with light skin will become redder, burn when going in the sun while those with dark skin will turn a darker brown. Even when you have naturally dark skin, always tan or never burn, it still means that the sun is damaging your skin. You could still suffer from wrinkles and skin cancer in some days.
- 31 Home remedies for heat rash on face, neck, arms and legs
- 24 Remedies for sun damaged skin treatment at home
- 21 Essential oils for sunburn swelling, itching & peeling relief
What Are Possible Harmful Effects Of Sun Tan?
Excessive exposure to ultraviolet rays of the sun will increase the production of melanin in your skin; thus, leading to darkening the skin. Sun tan often happens on the exposed body parts such as face, neck, arms, hands, and legs. There are many skin problems caused by a sun tan, which are:
- Dark spots
- Fine lines
- Premature aging
- Skin burn
- Skin cancer
Top 27 Effective Ways On How To Remove Sun Tan From Face, Neck, Arms And Legs
There are many ways to follow when it comes to learning how to remove sun tan. Rather than going for expensive cosmetics that are jam-packed with harmful chemicals and bleaching agents, you should consider using some home remedies prepared from natural ingredients that are easy-to-find and simple-to-use. This article will show you top effective ways on how to remove sun tan from face, neck, arms, and legs. Take a look!
1. Lemon Juice
Lemon has acidic nature, and it is rich in citric acid and vitamin C. This helps lighten your skin tone. Vitamin C may neutralize the damage caused by ultraviolet (UV) radiation and free radicals . Also, thanks to natural bleaching properties, lemon is a great solution for learning how to remove sun tan from face, neck, arms, and legs.
- Apply fresh lemon juice over your affected skin areas
- Let it dry for a few minutes and then wash it off with water
Method 2: Lemon juice and sugar
- Mix a small amount of lemon juice with some sugar and apply over your skin.
- Repeat this method 2-3 times per week for good results
Sugar is a great cleansing agent that supports lemon juice in removing sun tan.
Method 3: Cucumber juice, lemon juice, and rosewater
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of lemon juice, cucumber juice, and rosewater together
- Use a few cotton balls to apply the mixture onto your affected skin areas
- Wait for 15 minutes to let it dry and rinse it off with cold water.
Cucumber juice also has natural bleaching agents that may lighten red patches of your skin that are caused by sun tan. At the same time, rose water and cucumber are also cooling agents that may soothe blemishes on the skin.
- To prevent allergies or reactions, you should do a patch test
- Avoid going out in the sun right after applying these methods
2. Tomato Juice
Similar to lemon, when it comes to tips on how to remove sun tan, tomato juice is a great option. It is slightly acidic and has a high level of antioxidants. They might react with skin pigments and lighten sun tanned areas. It is thanks to lycopene available in this fruit. Lycopene is a powerful antioxidant , which could decrease the inflammatory response to ultraviolet (UV) radiation damage by neutralizing harmful molecules in the human skin as a consequence.
According to a study, people who consumed 5 tablespoons of lycopene-rich tomato paste every day for about 3 months had 25% moiré natural protection against sun tan and sunburn. You can take advantage of tomato for sun tan relief by indulging in fresh tomatoes or adding organic ketchup to your daily meals for a lycopene boost. Actually, eating tomatoes will not make you invincible in the fierce sun, but it might be a useful factor to sun protection, aside from sunscreen, clothing, or shade.
- Take a fresh tomato to cut into halves
- Release the juice into a bowl and use a cotton ball to apply directly to your skin
- Wait for 15 minutes before washing it off with warm water
- Repeat as necessary
3. Vitamin E Oil
Vitamin E oil is sold in capsule form. Vitamin E may aid in healing your body from the inside out; if ingested, it will reduce skin damage and inflammation.
In fact, vitamin E is recommended by researchers after exposing the sun rather than before going out to help soothe your skin and prevent a tan or burn after sun exposure. It is even effective if you apply vitamin E oil a half-day later, according to researchers at the University of Western Ontario in London, Ontario. However, it is still better to apply it as soon as you could. The reason why it should be applied after sun exposure, not before because when vitamin E is exposed to UV light, it produces free radicals, which may be damaging in itself. For optimum protection, you should take daily supplements of 400 international units of vitamin E for 1-2 days. It is also okay to take oral vitamin E before going out in the sun. 
Vitamin E can be used in some ways below:
- Take 1-2 capsules of vitamin E oil and apply the oil to your skin to hydrate your skin and heal skin damage due to ultraviolet (UV) radiation.
- Eat vitamin E-rich foods such as oatmeal, peanut butter, leafy green vegetables, and almonds.
Using yogurt is a home remedy for sun tan that does not take from you much time and effort. It is a good answer for people looking for ways on how to remove sun tan. Simply reach into your fridge and take a container of yogurt to start relieving your sun tan. It also moisturizes and soothes your skin. Yogurt has cooling and tightening properties, so it may reduce redness associated with sun tan.
- Add cucumber and tomato to a cup of plain yogurt
- Add ½ cup of gram flour (also known as besan)
- Apply it to your affected skin and wait for 30 minutes or so to wash it off with tepid water
- Place 1 cup of yogurt in a bowl and add some carrier oils and essential oils (such as tea tree oil, lavender oil) to it
- Apply the mixture to your skin and wait for 30 minutes to wash it thoroughly
- Add 1 teaspoon of pure aloe vera gel to yogurt and mix them well
- Add some mashed strawberries to the mixture
- Spread the solution on your skin using your fingers and wait for 20 minutes to let the ingredients soothe your skin
- Rinse it off with water and apply another layer of yogurt if your sunburn-related pain still persists.
- Do a patch test before applying to your skin.
- Choose the yogurt that has live cultures.
5. Coconut Oil
We all know that coconut oil is very good for skin, hair, and overall health. It also contains moisturizing properties, helps prevent wrinkles and fine lines, and fight bacteria causing acne. It is also a good solution for sun tan and sunburn. Studies showed that coconut oil has saturated fats that may be good at retaining moisture of the skin, whilst caprylic, capric, lauric acids in it have antimicrobial and disinfectant properties that may benefit your skin greatly.
- Apply a proper amount of pure coconut oil on your sun tanned skin
- Massage gently for several minutes and leave it overnight
- Rinse it off with tepid water in the next morning
Method 2: Coconut oil, aloe vera, and lavender oil
- Mix several drops of lavender oil, aloe vera gel, and ¼ cup of organic coconut oil
- Apply it to your sunburn and massage gently
- Wait for several minutes to let it dry
- Repeat this routine daily.
Method 3: Coconut oil, castor oil, and essential oils
Castor oil may repair and rejuvenate the skin from damage caused by overexposure to sun rays. At the meantime, coconut oil, as mentioned earlier in this list of tips on how to remove sun tan, may heal your skin by relieving it from blistering and peeling. Essential oils may nourish the skin while aloe vera soothes your skin.
- Mix ¼ cup each of castor oil, aloe vera gel, apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons of vitamin E oil, ½ cup of pure coconut oil, and 3-10 drops each of neem oil, tea tree oil, almond oil, and jojoba oil in a bowl.
- Apply the mixture to your affected areas
- Massage gently and wait for a few minutes to wash it off with water
- Avoid using apple cider vinegar if your skin is broken
- If your skin is badly burnt, you should cool it by using apple cider vinegar cold compress prior to applying this mixture to prevent magnifying the heat on your skin
Method 4: Coconut oil and shea butter
This solution is used as a homemade sunscreen.
- Mix organic coconut oil and organic shea butter together with a ratio of 2:1
- Add 1 tablespoon of organic avocado oil, ½ teaspoon each of aloe vera gel and organic sesame oil, and 30 drops of carrot seed oil
- Mix them well and pour it into a glass jar
- Apply the mixture to your skin as a sunscreen.
6. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is the perfect treatment for a bad sun tan. The gel from aloe vera may moisturize your skin   and help you avoid skin peeling associated with sun damage. Aloe vera has 150 vitamins, minerals, and trace elements, such as calcium, zinc, iron, magnesium, copper, zinc, manganese, potassium, amino acids, selenium, and germanium. Aloe vera does not have oil or other elements that clog skin pores or irritate your skin. It may penetrate deeply into your skin layers and alleviate pain and swelling due to sun tan.
- Take a fresh aloe vera leaf to extract its gel and apply it to your damaged skin
- Wait for a few minutes to let it dry and be well absorbed and rinse it off with water
- Repeat it 2-3 times per day
Method 2: Aloe vera and cucumber
Thanks to essential nutrients in cucumber, they help soothe your sun tan.
- Take the gel from an aloe vera leaf and chop a peeled cucumber into pieces
- Blend aloe vera gel with cucumber in a blender and apply the mixture to your affected skin for 30 minutes
- Rinse it off with cool water
- Repeat this routine twice or thrice per day.
Method 3: Aloe vera, herbs, and baking soda
- Mix aloe vera gel, witch hazel, and water with a ratio of 1:1:2
- Leave it on there for 3 hours and add 3 teaspoons of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of peppermint oil to the mixture above.
- Pour the final solution in an airtight container and put in the fridge for 24 hours
- Apply it to your sunburned skin twice or thrice per day
Method 4: Aloe vera and lavender oil
Using aloe vera may relieve inflammation and also boost tissue regeneration.
- Mix 5 drops of lavender oil with 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel
- Apply the mixture to your skin using your fingers
- Wait for 15 minutes to rinse it off with cool water
- For extra benefits, you can mix them with 2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil
Starchy potatoes and sweet potatoes could help lessen the harmful effects of sunburn and sun tan. But, the latter seems much better because it has beta carotene and vitamin C.
Potato, when peeled and boiled and applied as a dressing, could reduce the pain due to sun tan and promote the healing process. It is rich in vitamin C that may work as a natural bleaching agent. Also, potato may soothe sunburn naturally.
- Take 2-3 medium-sized potatoes to peel off and cut into chunks
- Add a few drops of lemon juice (optional)
- Blend them in a blender and apply the paste to your affected skin for about 30 minutes
- Rinse it off with cool water
8. Gram Flour
Gram flour is another answer for people looking for tips on how to remove sun tan. It is excellent in removing dead skin cells, decreasing tanning of the skin, and giving it bright and young beauty. You could make a paste of whole green gram or use gram flour in the powder form.
- Mix a small amount of gram flour with water and rub the mixture on your affected skin
- Wait for 20 minutes to rinse it off with water
- Apply it twice per week for several months to get good results
You can also use rose water as an alternative for plain water. Mix some lemon juice and yogurt if you like.
- Mix fresh cucumber juice and lime juice with a ratio of 2:1
- Add a small amount of turmeric to it and mix them well before applying it to your skin
- Wait for 30 minutes to wash it thoroughly
Using fresh slices of cucumber may also give you similar effects.
10. Rice Powder
Rice powder has a high level of PABA that may act as a natural sunscreen. Also, the allantoin availability in rice powder may soothe your sun tan and enhance skin regeneration.
Rice powder is a rich source of vitamin B that may promote the production of new cells and slow down the skin aging process. Using rice powder may brighten your skin through boosting collagen and elasticity of your skin.
Method 1: Rice powder and milk
- Take a handful of cooked rice to grind into a good powder
- Mix 1 tablespoon of milk (or yogurt or water) with rice powder to create a fine paste
- Apply the paste to your skin for 15 minutes and rinse it off with cold water
- Do this method 2-3 times per week
Method 2: Rice Powder, oats and honey
- Mix ½ teaspoon of oats, 1 teaspoon of rice powder (rice flour), and a small amount of honey
- Apply the mixture to your skin for 15 minutes, rinse it off with water after that
- Follow this method 2-3 times per week
Method 3: Rice powder, green tea, and lemon juice
This mixture will lighten your skin while reducing excess oil, pimples, and acne.
- Steep 1 green tea bag in a cup of hot water
- Mix 2 tablespoons of rice powder with 3 tablespoons of green tea and then add 1-2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice
- Apply the mixture to your skin before washing it off with water after several minutes
- Repeat this routine thrice per week
11. Apricots And Papayas
Many fruits, when eaten or scrubbed on the skin, contain skin whitening effect. The leading fruit is certainly papaya because its enzyme papain may whiten the skin, relieving sun tan on the skin. Moreover, apricots also have natural enzymes that might lighten sun tan in many people.
- Take fresh apricots and papayas to cut into slices
- Blend them well and apply the paste directly to your sun tanned skin for 15 minutes
- Rinse it off with warm water
- Repeat this routine daily
For larger portions of the skin, puree the fruit and apply the mixture over your skin. Or, you can also make apricot or papaya juice by using a juicer and apply it to your skin.
12. Kojic Acid
Kojic acid a metabolic product of fungal species Aspergillus, Penicillium, and Acetobacter that may lighten sun tanned skin . Also, it has been used to treat melasma, a temporary skin darkening problem that happens during pregnancy. Products containing kojic acid include soaps, lotions, oils, and washes. They have different concentrations of kojic acid, so you should try a few types to find out which are suitable for your specific sun tan.
Caution: You need to do a patch test first and follow the instructions of the manufacturer.
Turmeric, one of the most versatile ingredients in the kitchen, is an excellent way on how to remove sun tan on face, neck, hands, and legs naturally. Turmeric masks are often used to eliminate facial hair, lighten skin, remove acne, even out the skin tone, and remove tan.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder, ¼ teaspoon of fresh lemon juice, ¾ tablespoon each of honey and milk, and ½ tablespoon of wheat flour together to create a good paste
- Use a cotton ball to apply it to your sun tanned skin and wait for 20 minutes until it dries.
- Rinse it off with water
After using turmeric, you see a yellow residue on your skin. You use a makeup remover toner or cleanser to remove the color.
The pack made from turmeric powder and besan (also known as Bengal gram) will give you an effective solution for exfoliating skin and eliminating dead skin cells.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of besan, 1 tablespoon of milk, 1 tablespoon of crushed orange peel, and a pinch of turmeric in a bowl and put some cold rose water.
- Apply the mixture to your skin and wait for 20 minutes to let it dry
- Sprinkle some water on the dried areas to moisturize it
- Scrub it off in clockwise and anti-clockwise directions to remove the pack.
- Apply this pack for a couple of days
This yellow colored fruit may help you get rid of sun tan thanks to the beneficial enzymes present inside named papain. Papain has potent skin-lightening properties that may reduce the visibility of blemishes, scars, and redness caused by sun tan. Papain also purifies and treats irritated skin. A good facial massage using papaya is really great for people who usually spend their time outdoors as it may fight free radicals that cause skin damage. Other enzymes in papaya are well-known for exfoliation, skin renewal, and restoration.
If you mix papaya with honey, it will not only remove sun tan but also moisturize and soften your skin.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of honey to ½ cup of ripe papaya pulp that is mashed well
- Apply it to your sun tanned skin for about 30 minutes before rinsing it off with water
Oatmeal is considered an effective natural skin exfoliator, so it may easily fix and remove sun tan at home. Oats are rich in antioxidants and have anti-inflammatory properties, making them ideal for soothing itchy skin due to sun tan. Buttermilk, when combined with oatmeal, will give you a soothing and moisturizing solution that not only heals blisters but also eliminate redness and dead cells.
- Take ½ cup of uncooked oats and grind them into a fine powder
- Pour the powder in a bowl and add ¼ cup of buttermilk and several tablespoons of honey
- Stir them well using a spoon to mix them
- Spread the oatmeal on your sun tanned skin and wait for 20 minutes
- Wipe out the paste and rinse it off with cool water
Caution: If you notice any severe reaction to your sun tan with symptoms such as fever, nausea, chills, or rashes, then stop using this treatment and consult your doctor instantly.
16. Orange Juice
One of amazing sun tan removers is a combination of orange juice and yogurt. This mixture can regenerate new skin cells and clear up your skin complexion thanks to the content of vitamin C available in orange. Also, orange could help to boost collagen production, which slows down the skin aging process and tightens the skin naturally.
Yogurt, on the other hand, acts as a natural moisturizer and bleach that makes skin supple and soft.
- Mix orange juice and yogurt with a ratio of 1:1
- Apply the mixture to your affected skin and wait for 30 minutes to rinse it off with water
Strawberries contain tannic acid which could help relieve stinging sensation associated with sun tan. According to a new study in the Journal of Agricultural Food Chemistry, a team of researchers in Italy and Spain have discovered that strawberries may prevent skin cells from damage caused by UVA rays.
- Mash a few strawberries up and apply it over your affected skin for several minutes
- Wash it off with water
If you mix red berries and milk cream, you will have a skin lightening solution that improves skin complexion and decrease dark spots, freckles, and pigmentation. Meanwhile, milk cream will provide deep nourishment to your skin and moisturize your skin naturally.
- Crush 4 strawberries and mix them with 2 tablespoons of milk cream
- Apply it to your affected skin
- Wait for 30 minutes to rinse it off with water
Thanks to the anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and antioxidant properties, sandalwood, when applied to sun tanned skin, will help remove dead skin cells and reveal a new lighter skin layer. Also, it acts as a soothing balm that may heal blisters and blemishes.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of sandalwood powder with coconut water to create a thick paste
- Add several drops of almond oil to the mixture and apply it to your skin
- After about 20 minutes, rinse it off with water
Also, known as Kesar, saffron is an old ingredient for many skin care treatments. Saffron is useful in brightening, toning skin, fighting acne, and removing tan . Also, a study indicated that saffron may help to protect the skin from ultraviolet (UV) radiation.
- Soak some strands of saffron in 2 tablespoons of milk cream overnight
- Use your fingers to blend your skin and apply it to your skin evenly
- Wait for 20 minutes and rinse it off with water
This pack may also work as a deep moisturizer.
Pineapple has a tangy and fresh flavor, which is considered as the king of tropical fruits. The enzymes in pineapple may help to remove dead cells from the burnt and tanned areas. Also, the high content of vitamin C and antioxidants in pineapples  may neutralize damaging effects of free radicals and oxidative stress and slow down signs of aging such as freckles, wrinkles, fine lines, and pigmentation.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of pineapple pulp and 1 tablespoon of honey
- Apply the mixture to your face and wait for 3 minutes to wash it off with water
21. Fuller’s Earth
Fuller’s Earth is known as Multani Mitti, which has a cooling effect that may soothe and cool the skin burns and alleviate skin irritation, acne, rashes, and blemishes. To reduce sun tanned skin, you should mix fuller’s earth with aloe vera gel. This mixture will not only brighten your skin but also act as a natural cleanser.
- Mix fuller’s earth with aloe vera gel with a ratio of 2:1
- Add rose water into if you want
- Apply the mixture to your face and neck and rinse it off after 30 minutes
Cornmeal is another answer to your question on how to remove sun tan. It helps remove dead skin cells and blackheads, rather similar to oats. The minute granules of cornmeal may polish your skin gently. Especially, cornmeal is very effective in removing excess oil and sebum from your skin without drying it out.
- Mix cornmeal with lemon juice, and yogurt with the ratio of 2:1:1
- Then, apply the mixture over your face and massage in circular motions using your fingers for 2 minutes
- Wait for 15 minutes and cleanse with cool water
23. Wheat Flour
How to remove sun tan with an easy-to-find ingredient? Applying wheat flour on tanned skin may lighten your skin, eliminate dark spots, and even skin tone. During summer your skin gets itchy and you can experience many irritations, allergies, sunburns, suntan, and other skin problems due to the heat in the weather. Wheat flour contains exfoliating properties that can help to remove dead skin cells, soothe your itchy skin, and rejuvenate your skin.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of wheat flour with some water to create a good paste
- Apply the paste over your face and wait for 15 minutes to rinse it off with water
As a result, you will get brighter and softer skin in no time.
24. Cabbage Leaves
This is a little known method for how to remove sun tan on face, neck, hands and legs. In addition to being used for your lunch salad, it may also benefit your skin. Jam-packed with vitamin A, C and K, cabbage has anti-inflammatory properties  that are good for suntan removal.
- Take 2 big cabbage leaves to put in the fridge
- When they are cold, place it on your entire face and wait for 20 minutes
- Repeat it with fresh leaves
25. Bitter Gourd
Bitter gourd is a great solution for your stubborn sun tan thanks to its antioxidants . It can be easily found in your daily menu, so making it part of your beauty routine is an excellent step to remove your sun tan.
- Take the juice of bitter gourd out and apply it to your affected skin
- Massage for a few minutes and wait for 5-7 minutes before rinsing it off with water
Not only are almonds added to morning smoothies, but they are also really great for your skin. Due to its high content of vitamin E  , almonds do benefit the skin. Almonds are also a bleaching agent that helps you remove sun tan fast.
- Grind 4-5 almonds and add a little rose water to create a coarse paste
- Put a few drops of lemon juice to the mixture and mix them well
- Apply the final paste to your affected areas and start scrubbing the skin for several minutes
- Wait until it dries and wash it off with water
Here, you have discovered 27 effective tips on how to remove sun tan on face, neck, arms, and legs. These tips are just for your reference. Try some of them and see how they work for you. But if after trying, your problem does not get better, consult your doctor for professional treatment. If you want to discover further knowledge about “how to do something” topics, feel free to refer our page How To page here.