Pigmentation on the skin causes uneven skin tone. If you have been seeing a difference in the skin tone or patches, then you may be suffering from pigmentation.
What Is Skin Pigmentation?
Pigmentation is available in two types, which are hypo-pigmentation and hyperpigmentation. The first type is a decrease in the skin pigmentation, in which skin patches become whiter or lighter in color than other normal skin areas. Hyper-pigmentation on the other hand is featured with a darker skin tone resulted from the overproduction of melanin or pigment. This condition is known as a harmless condition. Although pigmentation is not a serious disease, it makes you look old. Skin pigmentation can happen to anyone no matter how old they are and what their gender is.
Causes Of Pigmentation
Basically, pigmentation is caused by melanin overproduction, sun exposure, genetics, stress, menopause, hormonal changes due to birth control pills or during pregnancy, insulin resistance, aggressive skin care routine, skin injuries, over use of hair dyes, acne vulgaris, or tattoo. Among causes of skin pigmentation, the most common may be over exposure to the heat and sun.
Treatments For Pigmentation
A few treatments for pigmentation may be conducted after skin examinations, such as OTC ointments, dermatological laser, chemical peels, etc.. They often give fast results as well as recovery. However, if your pigmentation is severe, you should consult a dermatologist. For those who have a mild case of pigmentation or do not want to use expensive, harsh chemical packed products, there are still some natural treatments which are rather effective and just resort natural ingredients which are easy to find in our kitchen.
The following list made by TrueRemedies.com will help you figure out how to get rid of skin pigmentation at home by applying natural home remedies for pigmentation on face and neck. All of these remedies using simple ingredients which are safe and easy-to-find in our kitchen. Have a look!
18 Best Home Remedies For Pigmentation On Face And Neck
The topical application of potato will change the clarity of your skin. They work well on lightening skin, particularly pigmented skin areas, blemishes, and dark spots. What you have to do to make use of raw potato for pigmentation is:
- Take a raw potato to cut into thick slices.
- Put several drops of water on their surface and rub onto your skin for 5-10 minutes
- Rinse it off with tepid water and re-apply this method 4 times per day for 1-2 months to see better results
- Take a medium-sized potato, grate, and squeeze its juice.
- Mix lemon juice and potato juice with the ratio of 1:1 and apply the mixture over your affected skin areas
- Wait for about 20 to 30 minutes and rinse it off
- Apply this method twice per day for about 1 month to see noticeable difference in your pigmented skin
Lemon has citric acid and a rich content of vitamin C, so it is one of the most effective ingredients for treating pigmentation. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant which can protect the human skin from the damage of UV lights and lighten dark skin. The natural bleaching agent of lemon could fade dark blemishes on your skin. Actually, people often use lemon to remove age spots and promote a clear, soft skin.
Follow these steps to take advantage of lemon juice for skin pigmentation:
- Extract the juice of half a lemon and rub it over your pigmented skin areas using a cotton ball.
- After 10 minutes, rinse it off with plain water.
- Apply this method twice per day for several months till you see good results.
- Make a homemade facial mask by mixing lemon juice and raw honey with the ratio of 1:1.
- Apply the mixture over your affected skin and cover it with a warm cloth for about 10 minutes
- Wash it thoroughly with tepid water
- Do this method once per week for several months.
Warning: People with sensitive skin should avoid using pure lemon juice. Instead, dilute the juice of lemon with some water prior to using it.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Rather similar to the above remedy, apple cider vinegar also has bleaching properties which can reduce the appearance of dark skin patches caused by chloasma. Also, this miraculous ingredient has excellent astringent properties which helps restore the natural color of your skin tone. Take the following steps:
- Mix water and apple cider vinegar together with the ratio of 1:1.
- Apply that solution over your pigmented skin areas and wait for 2-3 minutes to wash it thoroughly with tepid water
- Follow this method twice per day for a couple of weeks
- Mix 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in ½ glass of warm water
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey into that mixture and drink that solution twice per day for a few weeks
If there is a papaya tree in your garden, then you are having one of the most useful home remedies for melasma. Look no further because this fruit can help bleaching your skin tone naturally. Papain, an enzyme in papaya, is a great ingredient for skin exfoliation. If you do a raw papaya treatment, then it will remove pigmented marks on your skin in no time.
- Grate a medium-size papaya and extract its juice
- Apply the juice over your skin and wait for about 10-15 minutes to rinse it off with plain water
- Do this method for 1 month till you seen an improvement in your skin.
5. Almond And Milk
It is proven that dryness of the skin is also a cause of this condition. That is why removing dry skin cells is very essential for getting rid of pigmentation. Having natural fatty acids as well as nutrients, almond may moisturize your skin and nourish it naturally, thereby eliminating any traces of pigmented macules. The natural moisturizing oil in fresh milk, on the other hand, can effective defeat dry skin. Also, milk has lightening properties.
- Soak a small amount of almond overnight
- The next morning, mix it with milk or milk cream
- Apply the mixture over your pigmented skin areas and remove it off after 15 minutes
6. Vitamin E
Vitamin E, also known as skin vitamin, is a great hyperpigmentation treatment. This vitamin is an antioxidant which aids in neutralizing harmful UV rays and repairs as well as protects the human skin.
- Take 2-3 vitamin E capsules to puncture and put their contents in a bowl
- Add 2-3 drops of castor oil into it and mix them well
- Apply the mixture over your skin before hitting the hay
- Wash it off with lukewarm water in the next morning and reapply this method for 2-3 weeks.
- Make a homemade mask by mixing ½ cup of Fuller’s earth with 1 tablespoon of papaya which is blended.
- Add the content of 2 vitamin E capsules and mix them well to create a thick paste
- Apply the mixture on your pigmented skin and wait for 20 minutes
- Rinse it off with tepid water. Do this once per week.
- Massage the oil of vitamin E onto your skin for about 10 minutes.
- Do this twice per day to lessen pigmentation
- Follow this remedy several weeks till you get good results
Turmeric is widely used in India as a spice and home treatment for different diseases, including melasma. It is because turmeric has bleaching properties, helping remove the symptoms of pigmented skin. Moreover, turmeric may prevent skin inflammation.
- Mix equal amounts of lemon juice and turmeric powder to get a good paste
- Apply the paste over your skin and wait for 20 minutes before rinsing it off with cold water
- Do this once per day to get the best results
However, you should avoid going out under the sun for a few hours after using this treatment.
- Mix turmeric powder and milk with the ratio of 1:2 to have a thick paste
- Apply the paste over your skin, massage for a few minutes and wait for 20 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water
8. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is a famous ingredient in a lot of skincare products. Especially, when it comes to hyperpigmentation, aloe vera works excellently on pigmented skin because of the presence of mucilaginous polysaccharides in its gel. It might also eliminate dead skin cells and enhance the development of new skin cells.
- Apply fresh aloe vera gel on your pigmented skin before your bedtime
- The next morning, rinse it off with plain water
- Follow this method every day for several weeks till you get noticeable improvement in your skin tone
- Mix aloe vera gel with raw honey with the ratio of 2:1/2
- After letting the mixture settle for about 10 minutes, apply the mixture over your pigmented skin
- Let it dry naturally and wait for 20 minutes before rinsing it off with tepid water
- Repeat this method for at least 2 weeks to get your desired results.
9. Orange Peel
The orange peel is an easy-to-find ingredient for lightening pigmented skin. Containing citric acids and bleaching properties, orange peel could remove dark skin patches.
- Mix lemon juice, milk, and orange peel powder with the ratio of 1:1:1 to create a consistent paste
- Apply the paste over your pigmented macules, wait for 20 minutes and massage gently
- Rinse it off with tepid water
- Repeat this routine for at least 3-4 times per week to boost cell renewal and decrease dark patches of the skin.
Enriched with vitamin C, fatty acids, and oleic acid, avocados might help decrease the presence of chloasma. Moreover, the large content of vitamin E and various enzymes in this fruit might also alleviate this condition.
- Take a ripe avocado to mash it into a consistent, smooth paste
- Apply the paste over your affected skin areas and wait for 30 minutes before rinsing it off with tepid water
- Re-apply this method twice per day for 1-2 months to see differences in your skin tone.
- Take a ripe avocado to mash into a smooth paste
- Mix it with the combination of milk and honey (with the ratio of 1:2)
- Apply the paste over your pigmented skin areas and let it dry naturally before washing it off with tepid water
- Repeat this routine once per day for 1 -2 months
Note: Some people might be allergic to the latex enzymes available in avocados. Hence, you should do a patch test before trying this remedy.
11. Castor Oil
- Take a proper amount of castor oil to massage over your skin for several minutes
- Wait for some hours and rinse it off with tepid water
- Do this twice per day to fade dark pigmented skin as well as tone your skin.
- Apply a proper amount of buttermilk over your skin and wait for several minutes prior to rinsing it off with water
- You can also mix buttermilk with tomato juice or lemon juice to get better and quicker results.
- Repeat this routine twice per day
Being well-known for the ability of enhancing skin tone, sandalwood also helps recover pigmented skin as well as other kinds of skin blemishes. Because sandalwood is a cooling agent, stimulant and blood purifier, it may reduce the presence of dark skin patches, and give you a youthful and natural skin tone. Take the following steps:
- Add 2 tablespoons of sandalwood powder with a proper amount of rose water to get a good paste
- Apply the mask over your face and neck. Wait for 30 minutes before washing it off with tepid water
- Repeat this routine twice per day for several weeks to see noticeable improvements
- Mix turmeric powder, milk, and sandalwood powder with the ratio of 1:3:2
- Apply the paste over your skin and wait for 10 minutes before washing it off with tepid water
- Repeat this routine every day to lessen the discoloration.
14. Red Onion
- Take a fresh red onion to cut into two pieces
- Rub one slice directly over your skin areas
- Grate the left slice to extract its juice and apply onto your affected skin
- Wait for 10 minutes before washing it off with water
- Do this twice per day for a couple of months
Cucumber is not only a common ingredient in our cooking routines, but also effective in lightening pigmented skin. It is known to help rejuvenate as well as improve complexion. Also, it could be used to treat blemishes and freckles. What you need to do is:
- Mix equal amounts of honey, lemon juice, and cucumber juice together
- Apply the mixture over your affected skin areas and wait for 10 minutes before washing it off with plain water
- Do this twice per day on a regular daily basis
16. Tomato, Yogurt And Oatmeal
Tomato possesses natural bleaching properties so it may rejuvenate your skin. At the same time, yogurt with lactic acid content may whiten your skin and decrease blemishes. Oatmeal has scrubbing effects. Thus, the combination of these three ingredients may give you an excellent remedy for pigmentation.
- Take a fresh tomato and extract its juice in a bowl
- In another bowl, you mix oatmeal and yogurt together with the ratio of 2:1/2.
- Mix these three ingredients together and apply it over your skin
- Wait for 20 minutes till it dries entirely
- Rinse it off with tepid water
- Do this daily till you get desired results in the shortest amount of time.
Bananas work as a wonderful exfoliator which cleanses the human skin naturally. Therefore, it may treat skin hyperpigmentation effectively. Follow these guidelines:
- Mash ½ of a peeled banana
- In a bowl, mix the mashed banana with 1/4 teaspoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of fresh milk
- Apply the mixture onto your affected skin and wait for 30 minutes to rinse it off with warm water
- Repeat this routine twice per week to notice great results in about 3 weeks.
18. Strawberries And Oranges
As mentioned earlier, orange is a rich source of vitamin C which is very essential for skin exfoliating and nourishing. Also, it possesses the properties of a natural astringent specializing in eliminating dead skin cells. It may also help with skin-whitening as it works as a safe concealer against dark spots and blemishes. Besides, strawberries may be used to treat pigmentation caused by skin allergies. They give mint coolness to your skin, thereby restoring the normal pH level of the skin and removing uneven skin patches.
When ingested, both strawberries and orange juice have equal benefits. They may dissolve the toxins in our system and decrease the acidic level of your stomach. Because they have water, vitamins, and mineral, they are also good for skin when either applied topically or consumed as juices.
Extra Tips For Treating Skin Pigmentation
- Avoid exposing your skin directly under the UV light. Pigmentation is common but it takes time to heal. Thus, it is very important to protect your skin from the sun by applying sunscreen creams and lotions. Choose the creams / lotions having 30 SPF or above. Keep your skin clean as well.
- Pay attention to your diet. Actually, diet plays a major role in the skin health. Make sure that you add a lot of green leafy veggies to your diet, such as coriander, spinach, asparagus, and curry leaves. Other veggie sources of vitamin A are also great for your skin. Besides, drink lots of water and consume fruits more to keep your skin hydrated and flush toxins out of your system.
- Maintain good personal hygiene. Apart from the mentioned above methods, maintaining a good personal hygiene is also crucial in the process of treating chloasma. Make sure that you take a bath twice per day and wipe your body dry using a soft and clean towel. But, avoid taking bath with extremely hot water. Choose cold water instead.
- Have a proper skincare routine. Cleanse, tone, moisturize, and exfoliate your skin to maintain healthy and young skin.
To sum up, you had better choose such recipes which are not too harsh on the skin. It is smart to get a full medical checkup implemented prior to choosing a home treatment. This is because pigmentation caused due to medication could not be cured by simple home remedies. Sometimes people apply these remedies without considering their skin type; however, it is not a good option. You should use the remedy which is suitable for your skin type. For instance, the mixture of almond and milk is only good for those with dry or normal oily skin, not oily one because they add oil to the skin. Therefore, a specific home remedy should be chosen by keeping all important factors in mind.
This article hopefully has helped you figure out the best natural home remedies for pigmentation. Choose the best home remedy that is suitable for your own case and see how different your skin will be. Then, share your result and efficacy with us by leaving your comments in the box below. We appreciate your contribution and will respond as soon as possible.