Vitiligo is a long-term and continual skin issue that produces white patches developing and enlarging in some specific skin areas. The total skin area that could be impacted by this condition may vary greatly from person to person. To understand more about vitiligo and how to treat it, you should learn what vitiligo is, what causes it, what common symptoms are, etc. Take a look below from TrueRemedies.com!
What Is Vitiligo?
Vitiligo is a disease featuring with the loss of skin color in the blotches. As usual, the rate and extent of color loss from this condition is not predictable. Vitiligo could impact the skin on any body part, from hair, eyes, to the inside area of the mouth.
Naturally, the color of skin, hair and eyes is determined by melanin. But, when vitiligo happens, it makes the cells which produce melanin stop their functions or even die. As estimation, vitiligo impacts in people with all skin types, yet for those people with darker skin, it might be more noticeable. The condition is not contagious or life-threatening, but stressful or makes sufferers unconfident about themselves. Nowadays, the treatment for vitiligo might just improve the affected skin appearance but not cure completely this condition.
What Are Causes Of Vitiligo?
Actually, the cause of vitiligo is unknown. This might be an autoimmune disease which happens when the human immune system mistakenly attacks some body part. For vitiligo condition, the immune system might damage the melanocytes of the skin. Also, it is possible that one more genes provoke an individual more prone to this disease.
Some researchers say that the melanocytes damage themselves while others think that an event such as emotional distress and sunburn could lead to vitiligo. However, those events have not been proven to cause vitiligo. To sum up, most of the research points to the followings:
- An autoimmune disorder
- A stressful event
- Genetic oxidative stress imbalance
- Exposure to chemicals,
- Consequences of a critical cut or sunburn
- A viral cause
Actually, vitiligo is not transmittable or contagious. People could not suffer from it from others. It is estimated that less than 1% of the general population are impacted by vitiligo.
What Are Types Of Vitiligo?
Scientists divide vitiligo into two types: segmental vitiligo and non-segmental vitiligo.
- Non-segmental vitiligo: this is the most common type of vitiligo that happens in more than 90% people with this disorder. In this type, the patches usually happen equally on both sides of the human body. Not only does it appear on the skin area exposed to sun light, like the face, hands and neck, but also arms, eyes, elbows, knees, mouth and feet. In details, non-segmental vitiligo is broken down into many sub-categories such as acrofacial vitiligo, generalized vitiligo, universal vitiligo, mucosal vitiligo, and focal vitiligo.
- Segmental vitiligo: this spreads more quickly but is reckoned more stable and constant than the other type. It just impacts approximately 10% of people having vitiligo. Especially, it impacts about 30% of children with vitiligo.
What Are Symptoms Of Vitiligo?
Vitiligo lesions are featured with:
- Depigmented macules as well as patches
- Round, linear or oval in shape
- Borders might be convex
- Vary in size, from millimeters to centimeters
- Enlarge over time unpredictably
Frequently, initial lesions happen on the face, hands, forearms, and feet. The shapes of vitiligo patches are irregular. At times, the edges could get a little inflamed with red tone, and sometimes causing itchiness. People with vitiligo usually have hair turning gray early. People with dark skin might see a color loss inside their mouth.
When To See A Doctor?
You should see a doctor if some skin areas, eyes or hair lose its color. Despite vitiligo has no cure, it might help to slow or stop the process of discoloring and get back some of your skin color.
Now, it is time for you to know to take control of this condition by using home remedies for vitiligo symptoms on face and lips. The following part will reveal to you useful tips to reduce and even eliminate vitiligo without using costly drugs or creams.
Top 47 Effective Home Remedies For Vitiligo On Face And Lips
Also known as psoralea corylifolia, Babchi could be mentioned as an important plant that is an integral of Indian Ayurveda system of medicine. This plant has a number of medicinal uses mainly thanks to its seeds. The powder of babchi seeds are often applied on the skin topically to help deal with man skin issues, including vitiligo. Babchi has antifungal, aromatic, antibacterial and anthelmintic properties, so it is used as a stimulant of a diaphoretic. Also, this plant has laxative and diuretic properties. According to Chinese, they believe that babchi is a wonderful tonic remedy, among other home remedies for vitiligo, for improve vitality and overall health. Using babchi is one of the best-known home remedies for vitiligo symptoms.
What you need to do is:
- Soak babchi seeds in ginger juice for about 3 days, but remember to replace ginger juice daily
- Rub the seeds between hands to remove husks
- Dry them in the sun before grinding into a good powder
- Put 1 gram or 1/5 teaspoon of the powder into a glass of milk and consume it every day for about 40 days to see good results
- You could also apply it topically.
- Apply babchi oil on your affected skin areas
- Expose to the sun for 15 minutes or so (you can start slowly and then increase the intense)
- Alternatively, you could also mix babchi oil with black seed oil
Cautions: There are some people who should avoid using this remedy, because of some reasons below:
- It has an unpleasant and bitter taste
- A large amount of babchi is required for internal intake, which can be a little bit hard.
- Some side effects such as nausea and allergic symptoms might be observed.
- There can be an unwanted pigmentation which impacts the body.
2. Home Remedies For Vitiligo – Red Clay
Another helpful treatment for vitiligo is red clay. You can find this ingredient on hill slopes or by the river side. Similar to any other clay, red clay is jam packed with a large number of beneficial elements for skin. In red clay, you can find copper which is renowned to alleviate vitiligo thanks to the content of iron oxides along with essential nutrients. These effects could bright skin and boost cell generation. About 1400 years ago, people used red clay to help cleanse dead cells and impurities. It also makes your skin firm and supple and eradicate toxins.
You can take advantage of red clay in different forms. Some of the most effective methods are:
- Dissolve 4 cups of red clay in the jar with proper amount of water, shake it up
- Pour the included water in your bath tub and add your favorite essential oil (optional)
- Soak your body in this solution for 15 minutes
- Blend red clay with ginger juice with the ratio of 1:1
- After cleansing and patting your skin dry, apply the mixture over your affected skin areas
- Wait till it dries out and rinse it off with cool water
- Do this method 2-3 times per week for good results
- Mix 2 tablespoons each of red clay and rose water with ½ teaspoon of jojoba oil
- Add several drops of chamomile oil along with rose essential oil to that mixture
- Mix them well, apply it over your clean skin and rinse it off after 15 minutes
Basil is also known as Mulaka in Ayurveda, which could be eaten in raw form and taken in the form of curries, salad, sambhar, soup and pickle. Its leaves, flowers, and seeds have a lot of health benefits. Here is an effective way to use radish as one of best home remedies for vitiligo:
- Prepare 35 grams of radish seeds to add to 2 teaspoons of vinegar
- Leave it there for 1-2 hours and apply the mixture on your affected skin areas
- Do this regularly to get better results
Being famous for healing and antiseptic properties, turmeric is an active ingredient in many homemade skincare packs that make skin healthy and blemish-free. Many scientists have been conducted to prove the effect of turmeric for vitiligo, and positive results were taken but it is still necessary to conduct more research. What you need to do is:
- Soak a few turmeric sticks in plain water for 10 hours or so
- Boil and strain it after that
- Apply the water mixed with mustard oil over your affected skin areas
Method 2: Turmeric and mustard oil
The combination of turmeric and mustard oil is a good solution for white patches caused by vitiligo. What you have to do is:
- Take about 250 ml of organic mustard oil to mix with 5 teaspoons of turmeric powder
- Apply the mixture over your skin gently and wipe it off after 20 minutes
- Repeat this routine 2 times per day for 1 month or so to notice the fading of white patches on your skin
5. Gingko Biloba
According to research, gingko biloba has anti-inflammatory, oxidant and immunomodulatory properties that could help decrease the progression of vitiligo and induce repigmentation. Gingko also boost the blood flow to your skin and, thus, improving the supply of nutrients and oxygen to melanocytes. It increases the recovery of weakened melanocytes and may contribute to the repigmentation of the skin. According to a study published in the journal of Clinical and Experimental Dermatology, gingko biloba extract can stop the depigmentation of the human skin. Gingko gets its immunomodulatory and antioxidant properties from the terpene lactones, flavonoids and proanthocyanidins. The herbal extract of gingko is available in different forms, such as capsules, tinctures, fluid extracts, tablets, and leaves for teas and tablets.
- Gingko biloba sometimes cause side effects which are intestinal problems, allergic skin reactions and headache.
- Gingko is a blood thinner, so if you are using blood thinners like aspirin or ibuprofen, it might increase the potential risks of internal bleeding.
6. Home Remedies For Vitiligo – Duckweed
Duckweed, also known as Lemna minor, originates during summer months and is commonly found floating on streams and ponds. The ability of this herb for vitiligo treatment works mainly on melanocytes. In details, it helps reactive the melanocytes to product natural skin color thanks to some chemicals available in duckweed, which are isoorientin, orientin, vitexin, and vicenin. Duckweed is extremely helpful in gaining pigment back in regard to pigment loss that cause white patches and spots appearing on the skin. You can make use of duckweed as one of effective home remedies for vitiligo by following these steps:
- Wash duckweed carefully and grind into a paste
- Add honey to this paste to flavor
- Consume 1 teaspoon of the mixture after having a meal
- Do this twice per day for good results
Method 2: Make a duckweed tincture
- Mix 4 tablespoons of duckweed with ½ liter of vodka
- Keep the mixture for 7 days
- After that, have about 30 drops of the solution mixed in 2 tablespoons water twice per day about 30 minutes after your meals
7. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil can moisturize the skin and kill all skin germs, that is why it is useful for vitiligo treatment. Also, coconut oil has high content of fats, so it works as an emollient and gives a soothing effect to your skin. Using coconut oil can recover the pigment loss of your skin caused by vitiligo and result in the enhancement of melanocytes production in the skin. As a result, it makes skin better and better.
Furthermore, thanks to antibacterial and antifungal properties, coconut oil is used to remove bacteria from your skin.
You just need to apply extra-virgin coconut oil on your white patches for 2-3 times per day for several weeks to notice an improvement in your skin condition.
The biggest advantage of this oil in vitiligo treatment is its safety. Coocnut oil is no harm to your skin and one of few home remedies for vitiligo that have no side effects.
Ginger is famous as a great home remedy to deal with vitiligo. Many Chinese herbalists say that, ginger can improve your blood circulation and the production of melanin. For those suffering from vitiligo, apply this method:
- Take a slice of fresh ginger root and apply on your skin areas
- Wait for 10-15 minutes till it dries
- Repeat 2-3 times per day for a few weeks to improve your condition effectively
9. Home Remedies For Vitiligo – Copper Pot
You can fill a copper pot with drinking water and wait till the next morning to drink the water included before having a breakfast each morning. Among home remedies for vitiligo, this is an effective and instant natural treatment to get rid of this condition because it helps boost up the healing process by producing melanin cells. Copper has antibacterial property which could lessen your condition. It was found that people suffering from vitiligo have low level of copper. Thus, in order to eliminate white patches on your skin, you can also make use of copper-rich foods such as prunes, cocoa, whole grains, dark leafy greens, nuts, etc .
In regard to home remedies for vitiligo, walnuts are among the best solutions because they are high in omega-3 fatty acids along with alpha linoleic acid  . Because walnuts have important compounds such as juglone, they are often used to deal with many skin disorders  .
What you have to do is:
- Take some walnuts to grind into a good powder
- Add water to create a thick paste and apply it over your white patches for 3-4 times per day
- Wait for 20 minutes before rinsing it off
11. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera possesses healing properties and essential nutrients that could help in removing white spots and patches while keeping your skin hydrated.
- Take a fresh aloe vera leaf and extract the gel
- Apply it over your affected skin area and wait for a few hours before rinsing it off
- Repeat this routine twice or thrice per day
Also known as Brosimum gaudichaudii, mama-cadela originates from Brazil. It has sweet yellow fruit and dark-green leaves. To take advantage of mama-cadela for vitiligo treatment, take the steps here
- Boil the root and skin of mama-cadela to make a tea
- Apply the tea over your skin as a warm compress
- Repeat this twice per day for 2 weeks and you will diminish vitiligo symptoms soon.
Caution: Avoid any cosmetics and soaps which have chemicals whilst using aloe vera.
13. Tamarind Seeds And Psoralea Fruit
Soaking tamarind along with psoralea fruit in plain water for about 4 days, then dry the seeds before smashing them into a fine paste. Apply that paste over your white patches and repeat this routine for 1 month or so to get best results. The combination of tamarind seeds and psoralea fruit is considered one of little-known but effective home remedies for vitiligo.
14. Home Remedies For Vitiligo – Honey
Having been used for many ages as a natural remedy for different conditions, including vitiligo, honey is a versatile ingredient that could be found in most kitchens . Just simply consuming one teaspoon of honey daily also helps you a significant change in your condition. Or, you can also follow this method:
- Rub raw organic honey on your affected skin areas
- Wait for 30 minutes to rinse it off with warm water
Cautions: Avoiding using any soaps while washing off honey because it might draw out the nutrients from your body and make your skin dry.
Consuming foods high in zinc could improve your disease to a great extent. Add pork, beef, lobster, crab, yeast, whole grain, and legumes to your daily diet to increase your intake of zinc. Also, go for oyster, chicken, and other zinc-containing products.
16. B Vitamins
Vitamins belonging to B-group include folate, B12, folic acid, which are essential for the overall health and skin as well. The deficiency of them could result in vitiligo. Thus, supplying your body with enough amounts of vitamins as well as folic acid could improve the condition. Add cereals, beans, bananas, melons, etc to help maintain the appropriate balance of those nutrients within your body .
17. Vitamin C
Vitamin C is very beneficial for skin health because it protects the skin from sunlight, free radicals while increasing the collagen level. Furthermore, it is very good for vitiligo treatment, according to some trials. Vitamin C can promote the production of antibody, and enhance the synthesis of neurotransmitters. That is why patients with vitiligo should take vitamin C through fresh fruits and vegetables to reduce the incidence of vitiligo condition. Those fruits are grapefruit, strawberries, orange and so on .
18. Home Remedies For Vitiligo – Pomegranate
It is said that people with vitiligo have an imbalance levels of antioxidant in their bodies. Therefore, it is essential to keep a balance and provide enough antioxidants to your body. Choosing pomegranate is your smart step to contribute to your vitiligo treating process because it is one of the best antioxidant foods. This fruit also hydrates your skin and stimulates the production of collagen. You should eat this fruit daily and follow these steps:
- Take a handful of pomegranate leaves to grind into a powder
- Add this powder to a cup of water and have it twice per day
Aka Anacardium occidentale, cashew is one of the best home remedies for vitiligo symptoms. It is due to the oil extracted from cashew seeds. Take the steps below:
- Apply the oil over your affected skin and massage gently to help your skin absorb all nutrients
- Repeat this routine daily for a few weeks to get visible results
Figs are a Mediterranean tree which is cultivated widely for its various benefits. Actually, it is considered as the fruit of longevity due to its medicinal and nutritious leaves and fruits.
This plant is the largest source of “psoralen”, which is a compound beneficial for treatments of skin disorders like eczema, vitiligo and psoriasis. But, to take advantage of figs for vitiligo, you should use just rip fig fruit, not unripe ones because they are not only ineffective but could be toxic and allergic reactions might happen. Besides, if the figs are taken from the premature tree, then the white milky fluid discharging from their stem could transfer to the eyes, hands and mouth of a person. It can be irritating and should be rinse off away instantly.
The ability of eliminating white patches is mainly because of bergapten compound.
- Roast fig powder, then add water into to create a good paste
- Apply the paste over your affected skin and rinse off after 20 minutes
For better results, you should also consume this fruit every day to boost the healing process.
21. Home Remedies For Vitiligo – Black Gram
This herb is also called as vigna mungo used for vitiligo treatment. In order to use it, you follow the steps here:
- Grind black gram into a fine powder
- Mix it with water to create a thick paste and apply the paste over your skin
- After it dries, rinse it off
- Practice this method for 4 months or so to get visible results
Beta-carotene is the compound which is vitamin A’s source. You can find beta-carotene in fruits, veggies and whole grains. Beta-carotene is an antioxidant that can inhibit the oxidant of other molecules. Some studies have proven that antioxidants through diet help improve the human immune system significantly.
People often use beta-carotene to treat some disorders like heartburn, Parkinson’s disease, vitiligo and psoriasis. You had better add more foods rich in this compound to boost the healing process, such as apricots, broccoli, chives, carrots, asparagus, dandelion leaves, Chinese cabbage, grapefruit, ketchup, onions, peppers, pumpkin, squash, spinach, herbs and spices, etc.
Note: If you follow a diet rich in beta-carotene, you do not need to take supplements. Supplements may lead to undesirable excesses in beta-carotene levels.
23. Chick Peas
Consuming chick peas and applying the paste made from this ingredient to your affected skin will enhance repigmentation naturally. Thus, it is considered one of home remedies for vitiligo.
24. Pepper And Clarified Butter
Thanks to pepperine element, black pepper has healing effect that can work by increasing the growth of melanin cells. Combining it with clarified butter will give you an effective solution for vitiligo. What you have to do is:
- Heat 10 grams of clarified butter up, and add 10 peppers into
- Strain the mixture after a few hours and discard the peppers
- Consume it and do this daily to get your skin color back
- Alternatively, you could also apply it over your skin and rinse it off after 15-20 minutes
Cabbage juice, one of effective home remedies for vitiligo, has phenolic compounds used for PUVA therapy for treating vitiligo. Follow the steps below:
- Apply cabbage juice on your affected areas
- Wait for 10 minutes and rinse it off with tepid water
Or, you could boil cabbage in water and use the water to wash the affected areas.
26. Calotropis Procera
This is another herb for vitiligo treatment. Having bitter taste, each part of calotropis procera has specific medicinal properties. This herb has been used for many illnesses like piles, peprosy, vitiligo, etc. What you have to do is preparing a paste of this herb and apply it over your problematic areas regularly to take your skin color back.
27. Home Remedies For Vitiligo – Chinaberry
Aka Persian lilac, Chinaberry is proven to have a lot of therapeutic properties and often used to cure different maladies. The fruit and leaves of this herb are beneficial for vitiligo. You can eat their fruits to defeat your condition or make paste of chinaberry leaves and apply it over your white patches every day to get good results.
In regard to home remedies for vitiligo, khellin is little- known but really works. According to many trials, there was over 75% improvement of this condition in patients using this herb. You can take khellin internally to cure vitiligo.
Caution: Consult your doctor to know the right dosage of this herb.
29. Cow’s Urine
Cow’s urine is very great in boosting the human immune system and keeping illnesses and diseases at bay. One of them is vitiligo. You can combine cow’s urine with babchi to create an effective solution for vitiligo.
What you need to do is:
- Mix Indian lilac, babchi powder, cow’s urine and cow’s dung together with the equal amounts
- Apply the mixture over your white patches daily and you will see significant differences in your condition
This herb is an amazing treatment for vitiligo according to Ayurvedic medicine. Apply the methods below:
- Mix leadwort root and water together to have a paste that can remove vitiligo symptoms.
- Then, apply the paste over your affected skin areas
- Wait for 30 minutes to rinse it off with water
- Reapply this method once per week for about 1-2 months to see good results.
- Combine black pepper, piper longum, dried ginger, and crushed leadwort root together with the equal amounts
- Steep them in 20 liters of cow’s urine for about 15 days
- For every 30 ml of this mixture, you add 60 ml of water
- Drink the final solution 2 times per day regularly
31. Cassia Fistula
Cassia Fistula should be consumed daily for the best results of treating vitiligo. This herb is also known as golden shower tree which is one of the best herbs for skin diseases, including vitiligo .
32. Home Remedies For Vitiligo – Cassia Obovata
Apart from being an excellent hair colorant, cassia obovata could be an effective solution for those with white patches on skin. Consume the powder of cassia obovata’s root daily for 90 days or more to get rid of vitiligo symptoms naturally.
33. Millettia Pinnata
the next one in this list of home remedies for vitiligo is the herb native to Australia and Southeast Asia – Milletti pinnata (also known as pongamiya pinnata). This herb has anthelmintic as well as alexipharmic properties in nature and you could use both its seeds and seed oil to treat vitiligo. Many studies have proven this claim. Simply rub some oil onto your white patches regularly to deal with this disorder.
34. Picorrhiza Kurroa
Picorrhiza Kurroa is an Ayurvedic herb that has immune modulating properties and contains a “bitter principle” – a mixture of two molecules which are irioid glycosides (also known as picroside I) and picroside II. They are active components. All of these properties make this herb a good treatment for vitiligo.
Neem is considered a helpful remedy for skin problems, which is believed to restore skin pigmentation. After taken internally, neem works as a natural immune booster and blood purifier. To take advantage of this herb as one of home remedies for vitiligo, apply these methods:
- Mix crushed neem leaves with a small amount of buttermilk to have a good paste
- Apply the paste over your skin and wait till it dries
- Wash it off then and repeat this routine for several weeks
- Apply diluted neem oil over your affected skin. You can also mix it with coconut oil or other carrier oil to accelerate the effectiveness
- Repeat this daily for a few weeks
- Drink neem juice for a few months to see good results.
- Eat 4 neem leaves thrice per day or take neem supplements daily
Home Remedies For Vitiligo – Do’s And Don’ts
- Apply sunscreen with SPF 30 prior to going out
- Drink adequate water daily
- Use mild moisturizers to protect your skin from scars and dryness
- Practice some yoga postures such as viparitkarini and gomukhasana asana.
- Avoid tea, alcoholic drinks, coffee, and condiments
- Do not consume highly seasoned dishes
- Avoid tattooing as it might further aggravate your condition
- Limit the intake of grapes, lemon, soft drinks and fish in your diet
- Avoid swimming too much because the skin might react with chlorinated water
Here are top 47 effective home remedies for vitiligo. If you want to learn more natural treatments for different health and beauty issues, visit Home Remedies page. If you know have any comment about this post of “47 Best Home Remedies for Vitiligo”, feel free to leave them at the bottom of this article.