Table Of Contents
Everybody knows that eyes are the window of the soul. However, sometimes your eyes may have a few problems, including puffiness. Puffy eyes are also known as periorbital puffiness that affect a lot of people. Even though your puffy eyes are caused by many factors such as stress, sleep deprivation, genetics, change in both weather and your body and so on, it may make you feel less confident because it affects your beauty. However, do you know that this problem can be treated easily at your home? That is the reason why today this article on our site True Remedies will show you the best-proven home remedies for puffy eyes from crying and allergies.
Top 15 Time-Tested Solutions For Puffy Eyes From Allergies And Crying
- Top 30 unexpected tips to remove puffiness under eyes
- Top 25 worth-trying tips to eliminate dark circles under eyes
I. Effective Home Remedies For Puffy Eyes
There is no science-based evidence for the following homemade recipes. The recipes we have focused on are traditional treatments, so always consult your doctor before using any remedy.
Cucumber is considered being the most well-known natural treatment for your eyes if there is something bad happening to your eyes. As you can see, cucumber has antioxidants that may help you to soothe the irritation, whereas its cooling effect may assist in reducing the swelling.
Method 1: Cucumber
- 1 cucumber
TrueRemedies Partner Solutions
Need a Help from the Leading Expert Online, Available 24/7?
They’re all here and ready to answer your questions online or by phone. Keep asking questions until you get the answer you need.
- Mix 1 spoon of fresh water with 1 spoon of apple cider vinegar
- Freeze them after you put them in plastic and keep it in the refrigerator
- Take frozen cucumber slices and put them on your eyes after you lie down on your pillow
- Leave them on for nearly 10 minutes and then remove them
- Repeat this method until you completely get rid of puffy eyes
Method 2: Cucumber & Milk
Cucumber and milk both can help you to tighten your blood vessels and reduce swelling.
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 tsp of milk powder
- Peel the cucumber and take out its seeds
- Blend it until you get a paste
- Take 2 tsp of cucumber paste and mix with milk powder well together till they create a thick paste
- Clean your eyes and close them
- Apply this paste to your eyes
- Wash your eyes off with water and pat them dry after leaving it on for approximately 10 to 15 minutes
- Repeat this treatment more than twice per day
2. Tea Bags
The tea bag is also one of the most effective home remedies for puffy eyes thanks to its caffeine. The caffeine in it may help to soothe the swelling, which is caused as a result of the accumulation of fluid in the area. Depending on what you like, you can choose to use green tea or black tea. Sometimes, you can use herbal tea instead of black tea or green tea.
- 2 tea bags
- 1 cup of hot water
- Put tea bags into the hot water and allow them to soak for about 2 minutes
- Take out the bags and allow them to cool
- Lie down on the pillow and place the soaked bags over your eyes
- Allow them to sit for several minutes and remove them
- Repeat this method when needed
Potato starch can work as an anti-inflammatory agent, which can help soothe irritated eyes. Potatoes are good for your eyes and swollen or inflamed joints as well. These tubers may help alleviate the inflammation beneath the eyes.
Method 1: Potato
- 1 potato
- Peel, wash the potato and let it dry
- Grate it until you get a fine paste
- Put it in a cloth and fold it
- Place it on the eyelids and leave it on for about 15 minutes
- Repeat this remedy as needed
Method 2: Potato And Milk
Potato and milk are beneficial in treating puffy eyes since they can assist in lessening swelling and water retention under your eyes.
- A potato with small size
- Grate the potato
- Mix it with a little milk until you get a thick paste
- Apply this paste to your eyes after closing them
- Allow it to stay for about 20 minutes
- Wash your eyes off with water and pat them dry
- Repeat this process two or three times per day
Method 3: Potato Juice And Egg White
- 1 egg white
- 2 tbsp of potato juice
- Add two ingredients to a bowl and whisk them until you get a paste
- Apply it to your skin under the eyes
- Let it stay for nearly 20 minutes
- Use cold water to wash off and pat this skin area dry
- Repeat this method as necessary until you notice the positive result
4. Salt Water
Salt water may help lower inflammation. It may help you remove excess water around the eyes.
- Warm water: 4 cups
- Salt: 1/2 teaspoon
- Cotton balls
- Add salt to warm water and then stir well until the salt completely dissolves
- Take the cotton balls and soak them in this solution
- Put them on the eyelids
- Remove them after leaving them on for some minutes
- Repeat this remedy as needed
Note: You should not use this remedy too often because the skin around the eyes is quite thin. If you use it too often or you too much salt, it may make your condition worse. Along with that, salt water may make your skin dry. Even, it may cause skin rashes such as psoriasis or eczema.
5. Witch Hazel And Egg Whites
Egg whites can prevent wrinkles along with tightening skin. Witch hazel, on the other hand, is known as a natural astringent and also contains a tightening effect on your skin. It also assists in prohibiting skin breakouts.
- Egg whites: 2
- Witch hazel: a few drops
- Whip the egg whites thoroughly
- Add witch hazel to the whipped egg whites and stir well
- Apply this mixture under the eyes by using a soft cloth or a brush
- Leave it on for nearly 15 minutes or until this mixture dries
- Wash off again with water
- Try following this remedy every day until you get the desired result
Note: For some people, witch hazel may lead to slight skin irritation. Plus, when you apply it directly to your skin, you can suffer from hives. That’s why you should have a small test before using this remedy.
6. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is enriched with vitamin E and antioxidant. Thanks to these elements, aloe vera may help to soothe and nourish your skin. It not only reduces puffy eyes but also tones your skin and contains anti-aging effects. Furthermore, it helps to remove wrinkles.
- Fresh aloe vera leaves
- Take the gel out of the fresh leaves after you wash it
- Apply this gel under your eyes
- Leave it on until it dries
- Repeat this treatment as needed
Note: Even though aloe vera is one of the good methods, it still has some side effects that you need to know. This gel may result in skin irritation or skin rashes. Furthermore, somebody that has sensitive skin shouldn’t use aloe vera gel because it may lead to the mild form of dermatitis.
7. Cold Spoons
Cold spoons will probably help you to get rid of puffy eyes. It sounds very funny, doesn’t it? The fact shows that the cold spoons will assist in tightening your skin along with making your blood vessels relax.
- Metal spoons: 5 to 6
- Chill the spoons in the fridge for about 10 or 15 minutes
- Keep the rounded part of one of those cold spoons over your eyes
- Leave it on for some minutes or until you feel that the spoon isn’t cold anymore
- Change another cold spoon
- Reuse this remedy as needed
Using ice will help shrink your blood vessels and reduce swelling. Hence, it is worth applying this remedy.
- Some ice cubes
- A small bag
- A washcloth
- Put the ice cubes in the bag
- Wrap it by using the washcloth
- Apply it to your eyes
- Remove it until it isn’t cold anymore
- Repeat this method as needed until your condition becomes better
Strawberries are one of the nutritional fruits that everybody loves eating. Besides that, they are also a good treatment for puffy eyes. This fruit contains the alpha hydroxy acid, which can make your skin look younger and smoother. Strawberries also possess polysaccharides that exert anti-inflammatory effects. And it helps to reduce swelling.
- Some strawberries
- Put strawberries in your fridge
- Take them out and remove their tops
- Cut them into thick slices
- Lie down on your pillow
- Put these slices under the eyes and allow it to sit for a few minutes
- Follow this method regularly
Milk gives our eyes a cooling effect that can reduce stress. Besides, milk consists of vitamins and lauric acid that can calm your swollen eyes. Furthermore, it has astringent properties, which may aid in making your skin look brighter.
Method 1: Milk
- A cotton ball
- Pour milk into a bowl and dip the cotton ball into it
- Apply it to your eyes
- Let it sit till it dries
- Rewash your eyes with water and pat them dry
- Repeat this method twice or thrice per day
If you want to get a better result, you should use chilled milk.
Method 2: Almond And Milk
- Some almonds
- A little milk
- Grind the almonds and then mix it with milk until you get a paste
- Apply this paste to your eyes
- Allow it to sit for nearly 20 minutes
- Wash your eyes off with water
- Repeat this method twice or thrice a day
Method 3: Milk And Rose Water
- 1 tsp (or 1 tbsp) of milk
- 1 tsp (or 1 tbsp) of rose water
- 2 cotton balls
- Mix the same amounts of rose water and milk
- Soak cotton balls in this solution
- Put each ball on your eyes after you close your eyes
- Wait for about 20 minutes
- Remove the ball, wash your eyes off with water and pat them dry
- Follow this treatment twice every day for best effects
11. Rose Water And Glycerin
If you want to treat puffy eyes, why not combine rose water with glycerin? You know that rose water is very effective in treating this eye problem because of its phenolic compounds, antidepressant, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Rose water: 1/2 tablespoon
- Glycerin: 1/2 tablespoon
- Add both ingredients to a bowl
- Mix them well together
- Apply this mixture around your eyes before you go to bed
- Let it sit overnight
- Wash your eyes with water in the next morning and pat them dry
- Follow this remedy once per day until you notice the positive result
12. Baking Soda And Milk
Baking soda can help lighten your skin, heal the damage of your skin, absorb excess oil, and ease the discoloration. It also helps to impart a glow to your under-eye skin due to its natural exfoliant.
- Milk: 1/3 cup
- Baking soda: 6 tablespoons
- Mix baking soda and milk well
- Apply this mixture to your eyes after you close them
- Allow it to sit for approximately 20 minutes
- Wash your eyes off with cool water and pat them dry
- Reuse this treatment every day
Note: Probably, baking soda is pretty safe for those who have normal skin, but it isn’t safe for people with sensitive skin when they apply baking soda directly to their skin. It also may cause skin irritation.
13. Egg White
Egg white is full of vitamin B, astringent properties, and proteins. Thanks to these compounds, it may assist in tightening your skin under your eyes and decreasing the inflammation. Furthermore, it nourishes your skin.
Method 1: Egg
- An egg
- A brush
- Take the egg white out of the egg
- Whip it for some minutes
- Apply the whipped egg white under your eyes by using the brush
- Let it dry and then apply the second layer
- Leave it to dry
- Wash your eyes off with water
- Repeat this simple way once every day until you notice the positive result
Method 2: Egg White And Coffee
Just like egg white, coffee is effective in shrinking the blood vessels and removing the water content. Thus, it helps you to deal with this eye problem.
- 1 egg white
- 2 tsp of coffee ground
- A brush
- Mix egg white with the coffee ground well together and beat this mixture for one minute
- Apply this mixture to the skin under your eyes by using the brush
- Allow it to sit for about 10 minutes
- Wipe it off by using a wet wipe
- Apply your moisturizer to your skin
- Repeat this home treatment daily
14. Lemon Juice And Egg White
Egg white helps to reduce inflammation and boost the blood circulation while lemon juice helps to shrink the blood vessels and ease the swelling. Besides that, it also helps you lighten your skin.
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- A cotton ball
- Beat the egg whites until it turns frothy
- Add the lemon juice to it and stir both of them well
- Apply this mixture around your eyes by using a cotton ball
- Allow it to sit for about 15 to 20 minutes before washing it off with water
- Reapply this method as necessary
Note: Lemon juice may cause dry skin. If you have already had dry skin, you should notice the amount of lemon juice so that you can avoid a worse condition. Furthermore, you should stay away from going out in the sun because you may get a sunburn after applying lemon juice to your skin.
15. Vitamin E
People have used vitamin E to deal with a lot of skin disorders. Thanks to its antioxidant agents, it helps to remove the sign of aging. Furthermore, it will help you to moisturize your skin. It can also help you to remove the swelling.
- Chilled water
- Vitamin E oil
- Cotton pads
- Add a few drops of vitamin E oil to the chilled water
- Mix them well
- Take the cotton pads and dip them into this solution
- Apply them to your eyes
- Remove the pads after leaving them on for about 20 minutes
- Repeat this method as needed
II. How-To Tips
1. Have Some Rest
One of the effective ways that can help you to get rid of puffy eyes is having some rest. Why is it said like that? As you know, your eyes have to work harder if you stay awake for a long time. It will lead to the excess fluid that is capable of building up in the eye area. Therefore, you ought to take more naps or you ought to get enough sleep every night.
2. Drink More Water
Besides applying one of the home remedies for puffy eyes, drinking more water is a great way to remove puffy eyes. It’s recommended to consume one or two liters every day. It can aid in inhibiting the excess fluid buildup in the eye area. If you have the food, which contains more sodium or salt in your daily diet, you should drink more than 2 liters of water per day.
3. Massage Your Eyes
Massage is also a beneficial way that can help you to deal with this problem. You just need to put your fingers on your eyes and then gently massage them in circular motions. You keep doing for approximately 2 minutes. If you want to get a better result, you should massage your eyes with coconut oil every day.
4. Try Using Allergy Eye-drops
As you know, puffy eyes may be caused by an allergy. At that time, you should also use allergy eye-drops besides applying one of the above home remedies for puffy eyes. When you use allergy eye-drops, it will help you to soothe not only itchy eyes but also soothe swollen eyes.
III. Facts About Puffy Eyes
There are several factors that lead to puffy eyes. They include:
- Weather changes which result in fluid retention
- Eating foods that contain more salt
- Levels of the hormone
When you are suffering from puffy eyes, you may see these symptoms. They are:
- Dark circles
- Saggy or loose skin
IV. Frequently Asked Questions
1. What Can I Do To Fade Away Puffy Eyes In The Morning?
Getting puffy eyes after you get up in the morning is usually caused by several reasons. Probably, you cry at night, or you don’t have a good sleep. Besides, you may suffer from this eye problem if you eat lots of salty foods for dinner. In this situation, you should:
- Have enough sleep
- Drink more water
- Apply your night eye cream
- Use more pillows to lift your head when sleeping
2. When Do I Need To See A Doctor?
You ought to see a doctor when your puffy eyes are associated with a blurry, change in vision or pain in the eyes.
3. What Will Be The Best Solution For The Severe Puffy Eyes?
For those people with severe puffy eyes, having lower eyelid surgery will probably be the best solution. If you want to take this surgery, you had better ask the eyelid specialist first.
V. Advice After Treated
Besides applying one of the home remedies for puffy eyes, which are mentioned above, you ought to follow some tips below.
- Sleep on the back at night
- Use a mild cleanser and warm water to wash the face each night
- Consume less-sodium diet every day
- Apply eye creams every day
- Don’t watch TV or computer screen right before you go to sleep
- Don’t eat artificial sweeteners, along with sugar
- Don’t drink beer or wine
- Don’t smoke
That’s all about the best home remedies for puffy eyes from allergies and crying. It’s best to follow them regularly for quick results.
The content available in this post is provided for educational and informational purposes. Therefore, you are advised to consult your doctor before following any method.