Fungi spores are tiny that you do not notice when inhaling them or when they land on the skin. However, once they start to reproduce and show themselves as yeast infections, skin rash or athlete’s foot, you are aware that your body hosts a fungal infection. Herbal teas can help you relieve skin fungus naturally because of its antioxidant properties. Choose green tea for such effects. It can ease swelling, one of common symptoms of skin fungus associated with inflammation. According to the Univeristy of Maryland Medical Center, each cup of tea can deliver from 50 to 150mg of antioxidants.
You can make use of black tea, oolong teas, or green tea because they have antioxidant compounds named catechins which are associated with the anti-fungal use. Using tea can help get rid of symptoms of an fungal infection, such as swelling, sensation, and skin irritation.
Follow the steps below:
- Soak several tea bags in warm water for 10 minute. Remove and put them in the fridge for 30 minutes
- Apply the cold tea bags on the infected areas. Repeat this treatment thrice per day till the problem disappears.
- For those with athlete’s foot and toenail fungus, add 5 cups of black tea bags to 4 cups of boiling water for 5 minutes
- Let the water cool down before soaking your affected areas in for 30 minutes.
- Repeat this routine twice per day for about 5 weeks.
7. Home Remedies For Skin Fungus – Chamomile
Chamomile is a natural effective herb that could be used to treat a lot of diseases from upset stomach to eczema. According to some studies, chamomile has been shown as effective as 0.25% hydrocortisone cream for treating skin illnesses. Whilst not many studies have been conducted on the antifungal properties, many people use chamomile to treat external and internal fungal infection via methods like creams, teas and poultices. In chamomile, there are some efficacious anti-fungal compounds which give this herb the ability to kill off yeast infections. Some chemicals include beta-sitosterol, alpha-bisabolol, geraniol, and perillyl alcohol.
When it comes to using chamomile as one of home remedies for skin fungus, a great way is to make tea with dried herb. What you need to do is:
- Take a few scoops of dried chamomile, boil it in 3-4 cups of water
- Strain it and drink it a few times per day to help allay intestinal yeast infections.
For vaginal infections, you could also use this tea as a douche to target vaginal infections. Or, simply place dried chamomile in the sitz bath and soak yourself in the solution to relieve skin fungus naturally.
Cautions: Here are some dosage notifications when using chamomile for fungal infections:
- Tea form: take 3 cups of chamomile tea per day.
- Tincture: just use ½ to 1 teaspoon of tincture
- Capsule: follow exactly the directions on the package.
- Regular bath: add a small amount of flowers in your bathtub.
- Douche: use tea if you are not pregnant.
8. Oregano Oil
This is a powerful treatment among home remedies for skin fungus you can apply at home. Oregano essential oil is steam-distilled from oregano plant’s leaves. The aromatic, earthy liquid has highly concentrated properties of the oregano herb. Oregano oil is effective in treating fungal infection, but you had better check with your doctor before using it.
It is estimated to that oregano oil has 71% of the antiseptic compounds which are known as phenols, including carvacrol and thymol, according to Drugs.com. Also, its anti-micrbial property could be god for preventing fungal infections. What you have to do is:
- Mix oregano oil with extra-virgin olive oil with the ratio of 1:1.
- Apply the mixture over your affected area and wait for several hours before rinsing it off
- Add 3 drops of oregano oil to 1 glass of water
- Drink the solution twice per day
- Take 1-2 capsules of this oil twice per day after having meals.
- Because oregano oil is associated with promoting menstruation, pregnant women should not use this oil in any form.
- Because the oil is potent, so ask your doctor before using this oil on your skin, particularly near the genital area for problems like yeast infections, jock itch, or diaper rash.
- People with iron deficiencies should be careful when using oregano oil because it may temporarily impair the ability of the body to absorb iron.
- Some people notice a small allergic reaction to oregano oil, in the form of rashes on the skin .
9. Olive Leaf
This is a powerful herbal remedy with effective antifungal, not mention to anti-parasitic, anti-viral properties. Olive leaf contains antioxidant properties that are more powerful than vitamin C, E, green tea or grape seed extract. Olive leaf can stimulate the response of our immune system to unwelcome invaders such as candida. It can give our body a natural energy boost as well.
Take the steps below:
- Take a few olive leaves to grind into a paste.
- Apply the paste over your infected skin and wait for 30 minutes to rinse it off
- Follow this treatment 1-2 times per day till the infection disappears.
- Steep 1-2 teaspoons of dried or crushed olive leaves in a cup of boiling water for 15 minutes.
- Strain the tea and drink 2-3 cups every day to improve your healing process
- Olive leaf is powerful enough to make skin fungus subside quickly. It means that you should take smaller dose at first. Also, drink plenty of water.
- The effects of olive leaf on your body might cause some discomfort, but it is good news because it signals that the treatment is working.
- Women who are pregnant of nursing, or taking medicine for high blood pressure or diabetes should not take olive leaf. If you doubt, consult your doctor first.
The identity of turmeric is beyond that of a regular spice. It is proven to be a clinically proven pharmacological agent for a number of diseases and conditions. Curcumin is one of powerful compounds of turmeric which give this ingredient the ability to cure many ailments. Curcumin has proven anti-microbial and antifungal agents. A mixture of turmeric and honey is proven to act against some infections, including fungal infections. Moreover, its healing effects can facilitate fast recovery and prevent the fungal infection from reoccurring. Follow the guidelines below:
- Extract the juice of raw turmeric root to apply over your infected skin area
- Wait for 2-3 hours before washing it off with tepid water
- Do this treatment twice per day for good results.
- Boil 1 cup of milk added with 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- Add a small amount of honey into and drink it till it is warm
- Do this every day to improve your immune system and prevent further infections.
11. Cranberry Juice
Despite cranberry juice is known to be able to eradicate urinary tract infections, it could also be very efficient in preventing as well as treating fungal infections. Cranberry juice has a substance helping prevent bacteria from clinging to mucus membranes in the urinary tract, mouth and intestines. Also, cranberry juice can correct the pH levels of urine, thereby preventing the development of fungi. If you drink fresh cranberry juice, yeast will be flushed out of your body. But, select unsweetened cranberry juice because sugar may cause the infection to worsen as sugar breastfeed the yeast.
For those who do not like cranberry juice’s taste, choose cranberry pills as an alternative. These have the similar effects as the juice. Take cranberry tablets 2-3 times per day. You can find these tablets at most natural health stores.
12. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is a simple chemical compound, which is used to treat many ailments. One of the alleged uses of hydrogen peroxide is killing fungal infection.
Soaking your affected skin in hydrogen peroxide is good for your skin infection. However, hydrogen peroxide might sometimes cause skin irritation. Thus, you need to dilute it before soaking your body in. What you have to do is:
- Add 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide to 1 gallon of water
- Soak your infected areas in the solution for 20 minutes each day
- Do this method 2-3 times per day for 1 week till your skin fungus disappears.
Bleach is among the best home remedies for skin fungus because it is antifungal in nature. You could use a dilute bleach bath to heal your skin infection. What you need to do is:
- Mix 118l of liquid bleach in tepid water in your bathtub (about 151 liters). If your bathtub is small, use less bleach because too much bleach will cause skin irritation.
- Stir the water to make the bleach mixed well in the water
- Soak your infected area in the solution for 5-10 minutes
- Drain the water from the bathtub, rinse it off with tepid water. Remember to rinse it well to avoid any skin irritation.
- Pat the skin dry. Do not rub because it may scratch your skin
- Put moisturizer on the skin. Or, you can use any ointments or creams prescribed by your health care professional.
Do this method 2-3 times per week
- Avoid using undiluted bleach on your skin. Even diluted bleach baths might cause skin irritation or dryness.
- Avoid using bleach baths if there are raw or open skin areas. This might cause stinging or burning.
- Avoid using bleach baths if you are allergic to chlorine.