What Is Impetigo?
Do you know what impetigo is? Impetigo is a contagious skin infection. It often occurs on the face, nose, legs, and arms. Impetigo is caused by two kinds of bacteria, Streptococcus pyogenes and Staphylococcus aureus. These bacteria penetrate the skin through open wounds, cuts, a bite of insects, etc. and cause infection. People of all ages can catch impetigo. However, it is common among infants and babies.
What Are The Causes Of Impetigo?
As mentioned above, impetigo is mainly caused either by Streptococcus pyogenes and Staphylococcus aureus. Also, children, babies, and adults can catch impetigo if:
- Having poor hygiene habits.
- Having poor nutrition.
- Being exposed to moisture weather.
- Catching some kinds of skin infection.
- Having diabetes.
- Having a weak immune system.
- Having open sores.
- Having insect bites.
What Are The Symptoms Of Impetigo?
The symptoms of impetigo are different depending on different types of impetigo as below.
- Impetigo contagiosa
This is also known as “nonbullous impetigo.” It often occurs in children and so infectious. The symptoms of this kind include red sores appearing around the mouth and nose, causing itchy rashes.
- Bullous impetigo
This kind of impetigo happens mainly in children under 2. The symptoms consist of blisters on the torso, legs, and arms. The blisters make the surrounding area itchy and red.
TrueRemedies Partner Solutions
Need a Help from the Leading Expert Online, Available 24/7?
They’re all here and ready to answer your questions online or by phone. Keep asking questions until you get the answer you need.
This is the most severe kind of impetigo. The blisters are painful, causing open sores.
When To See A Doctor?
You should go to see a doctor if you:
- Have the urine of pink or tea color.
- Have a fever.
- Realize that the redness and blisters become more significant.
- Feel so sick.
The information above provides you with brief information about impetigo. Now, it is time to find out the best natural home remedies for impetigo on face and nose that you can apply in order not to suffer from this problem anymore. Let’s take a look!
Top 26 Effective Home Remedies For Impetigo Symptoms On Face & Nose
1. White Vinegar
The first step in treating a skin sore may be cleaning and drying it up. White vinegar is so good at reducing infections and preventing it from spreading. So, it is considered one of the top home treatments for impetigo that you should apply at home.
- Take 1 tablespoon of distilled white vinegar and put it in a bowl.
- Add 2 cup of warm water to the bowl and stir the mixture well.
- Soak a cotton ball into the mixture and apply it to the affected skin area.
- Dry this skin area by a clean towel or cloth and apply some antibiotic
- Use a gauze to cover the ointment.
- Apply this method twice every day.
Note: Avoid rubbing the infected areas hard when you wash them because it may result in skin irritation.
2. Heat Therapy
Heat therapy is also an excellent way to fight against impetigo. In general, bacteria cannot survive in a too-high-temperature environment. Therefore, applying heat may significantly destroy the bacteria causing impetigo. Also, heat works well to make sores due to impetigo dry and clean.
- Prepare a washcloth and put it in some hot water.
- Squeeze the washcloth to remove excess water.
- Apply it to the infected area for several minutes.
- Do this method a few times every day.
3. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil may be not a strange ingredient to you as a natural remedy for several health issues. When it comes to impetigo, tea tree oil has several benefits on it. Firstly, it helps to stop the infection from spreading. Secondly, thanks to its properties to combat microbes and inflammation , tea tree oil is a wonderful ingredient for healing infections and removing symptoms of impetigo and scabies.
- Take 1 tablespoon of olive oil and put it in a cup.
- Pour some drops of tea tree oil into the cup and stir the mixture well.
- Apply the mixture to affected skin.
- Leave it on for about half an hour.
- Wash the mixture off with warm water.
- Apply this remedy twice a day for several days.
- Prepare a basin filled with warm water.
- Pour some drops of tea tree oil into it and stir the mixture well.
- Wash the infected areas with this mixture several times every day.
4. Grapefruit Seed Extract
The extract from grapefruit seeds is also considered one of the greatest home remedies for impetigo. Owning its antioxidant and antibacterial properties, grapefruit seed extract is effective to fight against S. aureus – one of the two main bacteria causing impetigo.
- Prepare a bowl and add to it 2 tablespoons of water.
- Pour some drops of grapefruit seed extract into the bowl and stir them well.
- Soak a clean cotton ball into the mixture.
- Then, apply it to the impetigo twice every day.
- Continue doing for a week despite the itching feeling on the first time.
- Consume grapefruit seed extract supplements upon your doctor’s prescription.
Garlic is another wonderful home remedy for impetigo you should not miss. It can’t be denied that garlic is so useful for treating many skin disorders. Thanks to the antibacterial property, garlic works so well to destroy bacteria resulting in impetigo. Furthermore, using garlic, the symptoms of impetigo, including pain and itchiness, will be removed rapidly.
- Take about 2 garlic cloves, peel, and then mince them.
- Put a pan on the stove and add 1 tablespoon of sesame oil to the pan.
- Then, put the minced garlic in the pan to fry them.
- Leave the mixture to cool down and strain to get the oil.
- Apply the achieved oil to the affected skin twice every day.
- Doing this for several days.
- Include garlic in your daily meals.
- Take garlic supplements upon your doctor’s prescription.
6. Manuka Honey
Manuka honey is considered as the most beneficial kind of honey all over the world. It may help to treat sore throats, digestive disorders, gingivitis, and skin problems, including impetigo.
Thanks to its powers to remove bacteria and heal sores and wounds, Manuka honey contributes to stopping the development of bacteria causing impetigo . Moreover, this kind of honey may accelerate the recovery process of the sores and strengthen the immune system.
- Daub a little Manuka honey on the affected skin area.
- Leave it on for several hours before washing it off with warm water.
- Do this method several times every day for some days.
- Consume about 2 teaspoons of Manuka honey every day.
Thanks to the antiseptic and antibacterial properties, goldenseal works very effectively not only to disinfect the infected skin areas but also to improve your immune system.
- Take 1 teaspoon of goldenseal powder and put it in a glass.
- Add a cup of hot water to the glass.
- Leave the mixture to steep for about 10 minutes before straining it.
- Let the tea cool down.
- Clean the affected skin areas with this tea twice a day for several days.
- Apply goldenseal cream to the infected areas twice every day in a week.
- Take goldenseal supplements upon your doctor’s consultation.
8. Aloe Vera
Thanks to the antibacterial and anti-inflammatory abilities , aloe vera is also regarded as one of the excellent home remedies for impetigo. It is useful not only to destroy bacteria causing impetigo but also relieve sores caused by this skin infection. Additionally, antioxidants and minerals, such as iron and copper in aloe vera may strengthen the immune system to speed up the healing and recovery process.
- Wash a leaf of aloe vera thoroughly and peel it to extract the gel.
- Apply aloe vera gel to the affected skin area.
- Leave it on for half an hour.
- Repeat this process twice every day in a week.
- Consume aloe vera juice every day.
- Take 50 mg of aloe vera gel and put it in a cup.
- Add 12 drops of lemongrass essential and the same amount of patchouli essential oil.
- Mix them well and apply the mixture to the affected skin area.
- Let it dry completely.
- Apply this remedy thrice every day.
Zinc is an inevitable mineral to maintain a healthy immune system. Along with the cellular process, zinc may help to treat bacterial infections caused by impetigo and prevent this issue in premature babies. A study showed that pregnant women taking zinc supplements will help avoid impetigo in their low-birthweight babies.
- Include foods which are rich in zinc such as beans, whole grains, etc. in your daily meal.
- Take 15 – 25mg of zinc supplement every day upon your doctor’s consultation.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has the power to dry lesions and sores caused impetigo. It may also eliminate bacteria causing this disease thanks to its antibacterial and antimicrobial properties.
- Prepare a cup of water and pour into it some apple cider vinegar.
- Soak a clean cotton ball into the mixture and squeeze to remove the excessive water.
- Apply the ball to the impetigo skin area.
- Let the mixture dry completely.
- Apply this method several times every day.
11. Coconut Oil
You can also use coconut oil as one of the most effective home remedies for impetigo. Being enriched with lauric acids, coconut oil may destroy bacteria resulting in impetigo infection and prevent them from penetrating the skin. It is also used as a lotion to protect the skin from bacteria, fungi, etc. Also, coconut oil may contribute to strengthening the immune system, enhancing the body’s ability to fight against different kinds of diseases.
- Pour coconut oil into a clean cotton ball.
- Dab the ball on the infected skin area.
- Let the oil dry completely.
- Do the method once a day to accelerate the recovery and healing process.
Thanks to the power of combating inflammation, myrrh is regarded as an excellent remedy for treating impetigo. It may help to fight bacteria resulting in impetigo infections and alleviate the redness and inflammation due to impetigo. Besides, some studies proved that myrrh oil may significantly strengthen the immune system, helping to speed up the healing and recovery process. When being used with honey, myrrh oil plays the role of a disinfectant to relieve sores and wounds.
- Take an amount of myrrh oil and put it in a cup.
- Then, add some raw honey to the cup and mix them well.
- Apply this mixture to the impetigo skin area.
- Leave it on for about 15 minutes.
- Then, wash it off with water.
- Do this remedy once every day.
13. Olive Oil
Olive oil contains oleuropein, which is so active at killing bacteria accounting for impetigo thanks to its antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antiviral properties. Studies have shown that olive oil helps not only to stop the infection from spreading to other skin areas but also to clean the sores caused by impetigo.
- Prepare an enough amount of olive oil and apply it to the infected skin area.
- Let it stay for about 10 minutes.
- Do this once every day.
- Pour 50 ml of olive oil into a cup.
- Add 3 drops of lemongrass oil, drops of tea tree oil, 3 drops of lavender essential oil and 3 drops of patchouli essential oil.
- Dilute them and then apply the mixture to the impetigo.
14. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt has its incredible power to remove impetigo symptoms such as irritation and itching. Staphylococcus aureus – the virus causing impetigo will also be eliminated thanks to the antibacterial property of Epsom salt.
- Prepare a tub filled with water and add a cup of Epsom salt.
- Stir until the salt dissolves completely.
- Put the infected skin area in the tub for about 20 minutes.
- Then, take a bath and dry the infected area with a clean towel.
- Apply this remedy once every day.
15. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil is considered the best essential oil to treat impetigo infections thanks to its powerful antibacterial property.
- Pour a drop of lavender oil into a clean cotton ball.
- Then, lightly apply the ball to the infected area.
- Let the ball sit on as long as possible.
- Remove the ball and leave the skin dry naturally.
- Apply this remedy 4 times every day to get the best results.
Note: Avoid using the same cotton ball for different treatments to prevent infection from spreading.
Above is the list of natural home remedies for impetigo which will help you to treat its symptoms without taking medicine. However, if your condition is not improved, go to see a doctor for proper treatment. If you want to share any ideas or any contributing comments to our article, don’t hesitate to leave them under this post. We will try to give feedback as soon as possible.