An eye sty, also called as styes in general, is an acute infection of the oil glands of our eyelids, causing a red, firm lump on the eyelid. This condition is common and affects millions of Americans. Despite they are not normally serious, they could be painful and irritating. That is why you are reading this article to know how to treat eye styes at home without using any medications. But, before going to the main part of this topic about 36 natural home remedies for styes in eyes relief, you should know some fundamental information about this disease. Check out from TrueRemedies.com!
What Is An Eye Stye?
Styes in eyes are red bumps, sort of like pimples, which form on the outside edge of the human eyelid. Our eyelids have many tiny oil glands, particularly around the eyelashes. Dirt, dead skin, and oil buildup might block or clog those small holes. When the gland is block, harmful bacteria may grow inside and lead to a stye to develop.
There are two types of styes, which are divided based on their locations:
- External: happens when the stye is located at the base of eyelash follicle
- Internal: happens when the stye is found in oil glands both inside or under the eyelid
What Are Causes Of Styes?
Styes are often caused by staphylococcal bacteria that live on the skin surface. The human body is coated with billions of friendly bacteria coexisting with us. Once the conditions are the bacteria feast on dead skin cells as well as other debris, leading to tender pimples.
In general words, styes are caused by infection or inflammation of eyelash follicles. If something clogs the duct and the oil could not drain and come back up into the glands, making them inflamed and swollen. As a result, it causes a stye.
What Are Risk Factors?
Any person could develop this condition in their eye, but some specific factors could increase the risk of styes:
- People who have had a chalazion or stye in the paste are prone to get another stye in the future.
- Some skin conditions, such as dermatitis or rosacea
- Other medical problems like diabetes, high serum lipids, and eyelid swelling
- The use of expired makeup cosmetics or not entirely removing the eye makeup
- Inserting contact lenses without washing hands or disinfecting them thoroughly at first
- Touching your eyes with unclear hands
What Are Symptoms Of Styes In Eyes?
These are some of the most common signs and symptoms of styes:
- Puffiness and swelling of the eyelid
- A red lump on the eyelid often featuring with a pus-filled center
- Eyelid pain
- Crust along the eyelid
- Watering of the eye
- Itchy feelings around the eye
- Eye watering
Styes are not contagious because it is a localized inflammation. You could not “catch” it from other people.
Top 36 Effective Home Remedies For Styes In Eyes Relief
Eye styes may look similar to a pimple. So, how to get rid of styes naturally? Here are quite simple and inexpensive home remedies for styes in eyes that you can apply at home almost instantly!
1. Warm Compress
When it comes to home remedies for styes in eyes, a wet compress with a rather high temperature, applied to the affected area, will help in healing the stye by making the hordeolum burst. It is very simple to use a warm compress to deal with styes in eyes. What you have to do is:
- Take a clean washcloth soaked in warm water. Do not use hot water as it might hurt your eyes
- Press it to your affected eyes for 5 minutes at a time
- Repeat this routine 3-4 times per day till the pus is removed
- Wipe away pus by using a clean cloth and reapply this method until your problem disappears
This way, you will feel a relief from irritation and itching accompanied with a stye. This also helps keep you from rubbing or scratching the eye, which may worsen it. Also, a warm compress is helpful for your healing process by decreasing inflammation on both the stye and the surrounding area. This is considered among the best home remedies for styes you can do at home.
2. Home Remedies For Styes – Coriander Seeds
This is an effective and safe option in regard to home remedies for styes. The antioxidant properties of coriander seeds will help alleviate swelling and unclog the glands’ orifices. Also, using coriander seeds will be helpful to relieve your itching and redness in a few days. What you have to do is:
- Add 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds to 1 cup of plain water
- Boil it up and remove from the heat before letting it cool down
- After straining, use this solution to rinse your affected area but not letting it contact it with your eyes
- Repeat this routine 2-3 times per day till you get good results.
Not only is turmeric amazing Indian spice, but it also used for many medical purposes in India for more than 6000 years. One reason why this ingredient is widely used for different health issues is due to its anti-inflammatory properties, not to mention antibacterial effects. Using turmeric could reduce the irritation and swelling of stye-infected eyes while draining out more quickly the stye. As a result, it makes your condition heal faster .
Another reason to use turmeric as one of home remedies for styes is that it works as a natural painkiller. Having styes in eyes could be painful but using turmeric could alleviate the pain effectively. Follow these steps to make use of turmeric for styes:
- Take 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder to add to 2 cups of water
- Boil the mixture till it remains half
- Let the mixture cool down and pass it a few times via a coffee filter or muslin cloth. Keep doing so till all of the turmeric granules are eliminated
- Make use of this solution as an eye drop for 2-3 times per day to get good results
- When adding drops of this solution to your eyes, remember to blink a few times so the drops can spread in your eyes.
- To prevent allergies, you should test a small amount of turmeric on your skin before using it for your eyes.
- If you are allergic to ginger, you may be also prone to be allergic to turmeric.
Method 2: Turmeric and milk
This is a remedy which you do not need to apply anything on the styes. It works from inside out. In fact, it is a popular treatment for many infections, including eye styes. Turmeric with its powerful anti-inflammatory and antibiotic properties can relieve inflammation naturally. Also, due to the curcumin ingredient in turmeric, it promotes your healing process furthermore.
Follow the steps here:
- Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric in a glass of warm milk
- Drink this solution till it is warm, preferably before going to sleep
This solution not only helps alleviate symptoms of styes but also induce sleep naturally. The next morning you wake up, you will see a great reduction in your inflammation. Repeat this routine regularly till you get good results.
4. Baby Shampoo
This remedy among home remedies for styes introduced here will cure and heal your condition quickly, according to ophthalmologists. Using baby shampoo is the best way to clean the eyes without causing a sensation of burning which is often associated with harsh soaps. In order to use this remedy, you should follow these steps:
- Mix baby shampoo with warm water as the ratio of 1:1
- Dip a clean Q-tip or a cloth into the mixture and apply it over your infected eyelid
This will help remove the bacteria causing styes right at the base of the eyelids and alleviate the swelling effectively.
5. Home Remedies For Styes – Green Tea (Or Black Tea)
Similar to the first remedy in this list of home remedies for styes, black or green tea could also use warm teabag to reduce your stye symptoms. So, what kind of teabag you should use? It is recommended using a black tea bag as it is good at reducing inflammation and has natural antibacterial properties as well. Or, you could also choose green tea as an alternative .
To make use of a teabag for styes, follow the instructions below:
- Place the warm teabag on your stye
- Make sure that the teabag is still wet, not dripping wet
- Leave it there for about 10 minutes before removing it off
- Repeat this routine 2-3 times per day
Cucumbers or other vegetables are a reliable source of different viral vitamins and minerals which are essential for treating stye infections in the eyes. You can place a few slices of cucumber on your affected area, leave it there for 10-15 minutes before rinsing removing it. This will alleviate your pain and swelling.
By placing a slice of potato on the eyes, you can get a quick relief from styes. Alternatively, you can also prepare a paste of fresh potato by mixing it with water. Then, put the paste over your affected area using a clean cloth. Do this 1-2 times per day. This is really one of the simplest home remedies for styes you can do at home  .
8. Gold Ring
This sounds strange, but it works. Rubbing a gold ring on a stye will help decrease the size of the stye. Actually, it is not the gold causing the stye to heal but the use of massaging. By massaging anything on the area, it helps break up the infection and make your body release germs. However, some people say that, the atoms of gold get mixed with the infestation and prevent them. What you have to do is:
- Wash your gold ring 3-4 times in warm water
- Rub it gently and directly over your affected area
You can also make use of a copper penny to get the similar effects.
9. Ear Wax
Ear wax is another useful treatment among home remedies for styes in eyes. Despite it is rather unpleasant and grossest, it is very effective. To cure styes, you take out some ear wax and apply it right directly over your affected area. This will help ease your itchiness.
10. Home Remedies For Styes – Salt Water
Mixing a pinch of salt in water will give you an effective solution for stye. It is because salt water acts as a cleansing agent that can take away lots of dirt as well bacteria causing infection. Thanks to the antibacterial property of salt, it helps reduce swelling and make you feel much better. In case your styes are painful and big, you can add 1 teaspoon of salt to water. But, avoid adding more than that amount. Repeat this routine thrice per day and you will see a significant improvement in your sty symptoms.
Alum is very efficient in treating an eye stye by adding 2-3 granules of alum in one glass of plain water. After stirring them well, wash your affected area with it.
12. Finger Power
In regard to home remedies for styes, sometimes you do not need any equipment to cure this condition, but your fingers. What you actually do with this method is to transfer the heat to the stye, preventing the infections from developing and promoting the styes to drain out. Take the steps here:
- Take the little finger to rub against the palm of your opposite hand until it gets hot.
- Then, place your finger over the stye and keep it there until it cools down.
To know some tips about a common type of infection, staph infection, check out: Top 22 Natural Home Remedies For Staph Infection On Face & Scalp
What are the most effective home remedies for styes? It is garlic. This powerful home remedy is very simple to do and shows amazing results. Garlic has strong antibiotic properties, helping it kill the bacteria and infection naturally. The only weakness of this treatment is that it stings . However, after all, you will be willing to use it in order to get rid of a stye:
Follow the steps here:
- Peel a fresh garlic clove and cut into half
- Grind it into a paste and apply it over your affected area
- Wait for 15 seconds and take off it, then close your eyes
- Relax and blink the eyes
- Repeat this routine with the new garlic
It might sting a lot, but you should still avoid watering your eyes if you could bear the pain. You will see good results after several applications.
Caution: You need to keep using this method every 4-6 hours because the remaining pathogens will continuously increase their number.
14. Home Remedies For Styes – Chamomile Tea
One of popular home remedies for styes is chamomile tea, which has great soothing effect that can promote your infection to heal and end. Despite it works, it may take time to show noticeable results. All you have to do is:
- Prepare a strong chamomile tea
- Let it cool down a little bit and while it is still warm, dip a cotton ball into the tea
- Place the ball over your affected area
That case, it might sting a little bit, but it will disappear soon. If the stye is inside your eye, open your eyes to let this solution go into.
15. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera, a simple but helpful treatment for styes, is famous for its anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and soothing properties. It could reduce swelling, redness and inflammation while speeding up the healing process naturally .
- Cut a fresh aloe vera leaf into halves and extract the gel from it
- Rub it over your affected area and wait for 20 minutes with tepid water
- Re-apply this method several times per day for 4-5 days
16. Cabbage Leaf
If you are looking for a natural swelling reducer, then go for cold cabbage. It helps in suppressing the stye. Take the steps below:
- Clean a large cabbage leaf thoroughly and do the same with your eyes
- Make a paste from cabbage leaf and apply it over your affected area
- Leave it there overnight and rinse it off in the next morning
You will experience less pain significantly after applying this method.
17. Guava Leaves
Because of their natural healing ability, guava leaves are one of good home remedies for styes. They have anti-inflammatory properties which can eradiate the swelling and redness of the affected area . What you need to do is:
- Take 2-3 guava leaves to wash in hot water
- Soak a clean cloth in the hot water, wring out excess water
- Put the leaves on the cloth and wrap it carefully
- After letting it cool down, take out a leaf to apply over your affected area
- Wait for 5 minutes and repeat this routine with other leaves
- Do this method twice per day for 3-4 days
18. Home Remedies For Styes – Almond Oil
Almond oil is extremely nutritious which can help in fighting off the styes. But, almond oil alone is not adequate because it just improves the blood flow to the affected area so that the infection could be handled more quickly. Avoid letting almond oil contact with your eyes.
19. Castor Oil
In spite of its awful smelling, it is actually wonder when it comes to treating styes in eyes. By applying it over your styes using a cotton swab, you will get rid of swelling and inflammation naturally.
Another disinfectant works wonders on an eye stye is clove. It is famous for antimicrobial properties and antioxidants that can boost the healing process dramatically. Take the steps below:
- Prepare 2-3 cloves to grind into a smooth paste by mixing with a proper amount of water
- Apply it over your eyelid and wait for several hours to let it dry
- That way, you will notice a big change in your condition
- Repeat this routine twice per day
You can also use clove oil instead of clove paste by using a Q-tip.
Note: Using cloves might be associated with a burning sensation, once it gets into your eyes. So, be careful!
21. Parsley Leaves
Boil an adequate amount of parsley leaves in a cup of water for about 10 minutes. Then, strain the solution well before soaking a cloth into. After it cools down a little bit, place it over your eyes, especially around the eyelids. Leave it there for 15 minutes or so and you will see a relief from discomfort caused by a stye.
22. Home Remedies For Styes – Acacia Leaves
For those having painful styes, acacia leaves may be the exact answer for their problem. The soreness and swelling of the eyes will be eliminated in no time. What you have to do is:
- Boil a small bunch of acacia leaves in water
- After draining out the leaves, you use the water to rinse your eyes
- Do it twice per day
23. Onion Rings
This method works because it assists in alleviating the pain. Despite it comes with a stinging and burning sensation, it still boosts the healing process naturally. Thanks to anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties, onions are a good solution for those who are looking for home remedies for styes. Take the steps here:
- Prepare an onion into slices
- Place them over your affected eyes for several minutes
- Do this twice per day
You can also make use of onions by chopping them and the tear will come out from your eyes due to the pungent fumes of onions. In that case, it will hydrate your eyes naturally and relieve pain, not to mention cleansing the eyes from dust particles and dirt which might cause infection.
24. Tamarind Seeds
- Prepare a handful of tamarind seeds and soak them into 2 cups of water
- After 12 hours, use the water to rinse your affected area
- Repeat this routine twice per day to get good results
This treatment works well for stye relief because it can eliminate both swelling and pain associated with styes.
25. Iron / Gold
This method works with any item made of gold or iron. This natural tip is very effective to deal with the styes if used in the early stages. This is an old wives’ tale which has worked for a lot of people. Just simply rub your chosen item over your styes for several seconds. Repeat this routine a couple of times during the day.
Note: Pay attention to the type of metal that you use. Rusted or dirty metal could lead to infection. Also, use a hygienic and clean item only.
26. Home Remedies For Styes – A Coin
Thanks to the warmth of the coin’s metal, it helps soothe your pain and give you an instant relief.
- After washing the coin with water and antibacterial soap
- Rub it over a coarse, clean cloth or between your palms to help warm it up
- Put the warm coin onto your styes till it cools down
- Repeat this routine a few times per day for a week
27. Milk Cream
Similar to some home remedies for styes above, milk cream if warmth can reduce the swelling while eradicating any pus that might be present. What you need to do is:
- Warm up 1 tablespoon of milk cream (just enough to sting the eye a little bit while still being bearable to the eyes)
- Use a cotton to apply it over your affected area, focusing on the stye
- After it dries out, mix 1 tablespoon of milk with 4 tablespoons of water to create a solution to clean the area
- Wipe it dry with a clean cloth
- Do this twice per day till your problem disappears
28. Bitter Gourd
Bitter gourd can work as a natural detoxifying agent. It can clean your skin and eliminate the stye efficiently. You could also use the remained gourd particles from the bitter gourd tea as a homemade compress. This can lessen your pain thanks to the antibacterial properties of bitter gourd.
What you need to do is:
- Take a gourd and cut into slices
- Apply it over your styes directly
- Wait for 15 minutes before removing them off and rinsing it off with water
Another way to use bitter gourd is to brew a tea out of this plant. Have this tea in the morning before having a breakfast. For taste, you can also add a pinch of salt. Repeat this plant twice per day.
29. Home Remedies For Styes – Bread And Milk
One of the oldest home remedies for styes, also an old wives’ tale is a combination of bread and milk. The warmth of milk can rupture your styes. This remedy has been appreciated by a lot of people.
What you have to do is:
- Take a fresh and clean bread slice to cut into pieces of doubled size of the eye
- Soak that bread in warm milk and put it over your affected area for 15-30 minutes
- When the pus come out, use a clean cotton swab to clean it off
- Apply an antiseptic ointment to help prevent infection
- Reapply this routine once again
Note: Avoid using milk if it is too hot because it might burn your sensitive skin around the eyes.
30. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is very versatile with anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. It can reduce the infection and swelling naturally. The low acidity of apple cider vinegar is also beneficial for healing eye styes.
- Dilute 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in 1 cup of water
- Soak a clean cotton ball in the solution, squeeze out excess liquid and place it over your styes for 2-3 minutes
- Repeat this routine 2-3 times per day
Using apple cider vinegar will sting a little bit. If the solution hurts too much, you should rinse your eye thoroughly with clean, cool water.
31. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil, among other home remedies for styes mentioned here, is a powerful essential oil which has helped a lot of people eradicate all types of skin as well as fungal issues. It is also helpful in removing stye symptoms, and could be used on its own or as an addition to other treatments on this list thanks to its antifungal, antibacterial, antiviral and antiparasitic properties  .
. In case you do not have tea tree oil at home, this method is still worth your going out for:
- Mix 1 teaspoon of pure and natural tea tree oil with 2 tablespoons of cooled, boiled water
- Place the mixture in the refrigerator to let it cool for 2-3 hours
- Use a makeup pad or clean cloth to apply on the stye and let your skin absorb it
- Repeat this routine thrice per day until the styes disappear
32. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is very beneficial for skin care routines because it works as an astringent and can cleanse the area. The warmth of the water if mixed with Epsom salt will reduce your styes soon.
What you have to do is:
- Mix 1 teaspoon of Epsom salt with 1 cup of warm water
- Use a clean washcloth to soak in the solution and wring out excess water before placing it over your affected eye
- Wait for 10-15 minutes before rinsing it off with water
- Repeat this routine 3-4 times per day
33. Oil Of Oregano
Basing on the stye cause, it might keep coming back, even after a long time. Some individual have experienced recurring styes for many years. It is because that infection which needs antibiotics to go away. Thus, it is essential to find an antibiotic, particularly a natural one. If you are looking for it, many studies have shown that the oil of oregano is very powerful, and sometimes even more powerful than those medical antiobiotics. However, fact is, this oil will not kill bad bacteria like other antibiotic operate. The method below is recommended for adults. Children should have a consultation with doctors.
What you need to do is:
- Open your mouth and put 3 drops of oil of oregano under your tongue
- Keep it there for up to 5 minutes prior to swallowing
- Repeat this routine thrice per day till your problem goes away
Alternatively, you could add 3 drops of oil of oregano in a tablespoon of water, swallow then.
34. Home Remedies For Styes – Honey
Honey is considered an emollient which can keep your skin moisturized. This effect is beneficial in decreasing itching sensations in the problematic area. Its anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and anti-allergen effects are very beneficial for treating many skin conditions, including eye stye .
- Put 3 tablespoons of organic honey in 2 cups of hot water
- Let the mixture to cool down a little bit before rinsing your affected area with it
- Repeat this routine twice per day
35. Colloidal Silver
This is an antibacterial solution which can be used to treat styes in eyes. Just simply put 1-2 drops of colloidal silver in your affected eyes to help kill the bacteria triggering the infection. It will heal styes instantly. Furthermore, you could also take a tissue and add several drops of colloidal silver onto it. Then, place it over your stye-prone area for about 5 minutes.
Home Remedies For Styes – Precautions
- Remember to cleanse your hands before touching your eyes
- Avoid sharing your cosmetics
- Keep your eyes hygienic and wash them at least thrice per day
- Use clean water to rinse your eyes
- Keep your contact lenses clean if you use them
- Avoid rupturing the stye because it will cause infection
- Avoid wearing contact lenses or eye makeup if you have an eye stye
- Avoid using anyone else’s wash cloth, towel and other items.
- Avoid trying to pop a stye because it might spread the infectious pathogen before they are removed, thereby leading to more styes.
- Avoid using those harsh chemicals, such as boric acid, if not taken under medical supervision.
- Before going to bed, remove your makeup
- Replace your eye makeup, like mascara and eyeliners every 3 to 4 months
- Sleep from 6 to 8 hours per day
- Avoid stress and anxiety because it might lower your immunity and trigger potential infections easily
- Use good quality medicine to treat your eye styes. For recurrent conditions, use antibiotic eye drops or creams
It is worth noting that an eye stye could impact anyone, from young to old, women to men, and children to adults. If you have a healthy and clean skin, then you will get rid of stye easily. You should build your body in a way which can detoxify your body and help you remove styes. However, in other cases, the above home remedies for styes would be effective.
Now, you have learned 36 effective and natural home remedies for styes in eyes. You basically could use natural ingredients as most styes do not come with much intervention. Nonetheless, having a stye is rather unpleasant and if for some reasons, your styes do not improve after trying out these home remedies for styes, or even get worse, then you should see your doctor instead.
For any comment about this post, feel free to drop your ideas at the comment box below. To know other homemade methods for illnesses, visit our Home Remedies Page.