A stye also called hordeolum is an acute or bacterial infection of the oil glands of your eyelids, causing a red, firm lump on the eyelid. This condition is common and affects millions of Americans. A stye will often disappear in a couple of days or weeks without any specific treatment. Despite they are not normally serious, they could be painful and irritating. Don’t worry because you can easily get rid of styles with natural treatments. Keep reading to get these natural home remedies for styes relief in eyes.
- Home remedies for chalazion cysts on the eyelid
- How to treat a stye on eyelid & inside eye
- Home remedies for red eyes infections
What Is An Eye Stye?
Styes in eyes are red bumps, sort of like pimples, which form on the outside edge of the human eyelid. Your eyelids have many tiny oil glands, particularly around the eyelashes. Dirt, dead skin and oil buildup might block or clog those small holes. When the gland is blocked, harmful bacteria may grow inside and lead to a stye to develop.
There are two types of styes, which are divided based on their locations:
- External: Happens when the stye is located at the base of the eyelash follicle
- Internal: Happens when the stye is found in oil glands both inside or under the eyelid
What Are Causes Of Styes?
Styes are often caused by a bacterial infection called Staphylococcus aureus that lives on the skin surface. The human body is coated with billions of friendly bacteria coexisting with us. Once the conditions are the bacteria feast on dead skin cells and other debris, leading to tender pimples.
In general words, styes are caused by infection or inflammation of eyelash follicles. If something clogs the duct and the oil could not drain and come back up into the glands, making them inflamed and swollen. As a result, it causes a stye. Styes can be also triggered due to lack of hygiene, poor nutrition, lack of water, rubbing of the eyes, and sleep deprivation.
TrueRemedies Partner Solutions
Need a Help from the Leading Expert Online, Available 24/7?
They’re all here and ready to answer your questions online or by phone. Keep asking questions until you get the answer you need.
What Are Risk Factors?
Any person could develop this condition in their eye, but some specific factors could increase the risk of styes:
- People who have had a chalazion or stye in the paste are prone to get another stye in the future.
- Some skin conditions, such as dermatitis or rosacea
- Other medical problems such as diabetes, high serum lipids, and eyelid swelling
- The use of expired makeup cosmetics or not entirely removing the eye makeup
- Inserting contact lenses without washing hands or disinfecting them thoroughly at first
- Touching your eyes with unclear hands
What Are Symptoms Of Styes In Eyes?
Some common style symptoms may include:
- Puffiness and swelling of the eyelid
- A red lump on the eyelid often featuring with a pus-filled center
- Eyelid pain
- Crust along the eyelid
- Watering of the eye
- Itchy feelings around the eye
- Eye watering
- Burning in the eye
- Droopiness of the eyelid
- Blurred vision
- Light sensitivity
- Irritation of the eye
Styes are not contagious because it is a localized inflammation. You could not “catch” it from other people.
Top 25 Good Home Remedies For Styes Relief In Eyes
1. Warm Compress
When it comes to home remedies for styes in eyes, a wet compress with a rather high temperature, applied to the affected area, will help to heal the stye by making the hordeolum burst. The warm compress is beneficial for softening the eye stye, thus helping it to drain by itself. This way, you will feel a relief from irritation and itching accompanied with a stye. This also helps to keep you from rubbing or scratching the eye, which may worsen it. It is also helpful for your healing process by decreasing inflammation on both the stye and the surrounding area.
- Take a clean washcloth soaked in warm water. Do not use hot water because it can hurt your eyes
- Press it to your affected eyes for 5 minutes at a time
- Repeat this routine 3-4 times per day till the pus is removed
- Wipe away pus by using a clean cloth and re-apply this method until your problem disappears
2. Coriander Seeds
The antioxidant properties of coriander seedswill help alleviate swelling and unclog the meibomian gland orifices. They contain compounds that exert anti-inflammatory properties and may decrease the edema in your eye. Also, using coriander seeds will be helpful to relieve your itching and redness in a few days.
- Add 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds to 1 cup of plain water
- Boil it up and remove from the heat before letting it cool down
- After straining, use this solution to rinse your affected area but not letting it contact with your eyes
- Repeat this routine 2-3 times per day until you get good results.
Not only is turmeric amazing Indian spice, but it also used for many medical purposes in India for more than 6000 years. One reason why this ingredient is widely used for different health issues is due to its anti-inflammatory properties . It is known to be effective against dyspepsia, sore throat, stomach ulcers, cysts, mastitis, fibroids, endometriosis, dysmenorrhoea, leucorrhoea, colitis, amenorrhoea, asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, broken bones, gout, conjunctivitis, anemia, diabetes, liver, styes, cardiac, and skin diseases. Turmeric with its powerful anti-inflammatory and antibiotic properties can relieve inflammation naturally. Thanks to its curcumin, turmeric may help promote your healing process. Using turmeric can also reduce the irritation and swelling of stye-infected eyes while draining out more quickly the stye.
- Take 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and add it to 2 cups of water
- Boil the mixture till it remains half
- Let the mixture cool down and pass it a few times through a coffee filter or muslin cloth. Keep doing so till all of the turmeric granules are eliminated
- Make use of this solution as an eye drop for 2-3 times per day to get effective results
- When adding drops of this solution to your eyes, remember to blink a few times so the drops can spread in your eyes.
- To prevent allergies, you should test a small amount of turmeric on your skin before using it for your eyes.
- If you are allergic to ginger, you may be also prone to be allergic to turmeric.
- Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric in a glass of warm milk
- Drink this solution preferably before going to sleep
This solution not only helps alleviate symptoms of styes but also induce sleep naturally. The next morning you wake up, you will see a great reduction in your inflammation. Repeat this routine regularly until you achieve effective results.
4. Baby Shampoo
Baby shampoo among home remedies for styes introduced here will treat and heal your condition quickly, according to ophthalmologists. Using baby shampoo may clean the eyes without causing a sensation of burning which is often associated with harsh soaps. To use this remedy, you should follow these steps:
- Mix baby shampoo with warm water as the ratio of 1:1
- Dip a clean Q-tip or a cloth into the mixture and apply it to your infected eyelid
- This method will help remove the bacteria causing styes right at the base of the eyelids and alleviate the swelling effectively.
5. Green Tea (Or Black Tea)
Black or green tea can use an warm tea bag to reduce your stye symptoms. It is recommended using a black tea bag because it is good at reducing inflammation and has natural antibacterial properties as well. It may give immediate relief from the pain and help lower the swelling quickly. Black and green teas both contain antioxidants and caffeine that may help to combat eye concerns.
- Place the warm tea bag on your stye
- Make sure that the teabag is still wet, not dripping wet
- Leave it there for about 10 minutes before removing it off
- Repeat this routine 2-3 times per day
Cucumbers or other vegetables are a reliable source of different viral vitamins and minerals which are essential for treating stye infections in the eyes. Since cucumber contains a high content of water, it can moisturize the area under your eyes. Cucumber juice is an effective ingredient in products often used to prevent wrinkles by restoring the skin’s natural elasticity.
You can place a few slices of cucumber on your affected area, leave it there for 10-15 minutes before rinsing removing it. This will alleviate your pain and swelling.
Potato has an anti-inflammatory agent and is a mild astringent. This poultice will decrease the pain, the swelling, and inhibit infection .
By placing a slice of potato on the eyes, you can get quick relief from styes. Alternatively, you can prepare a paste of fresh potato by mixing it with water. Then, put the paste over your affected area using a clean cloth. Do this 1-2 times per day.
This is another must-try home treatment in the list of home remedies for styes. Garlic has strong antibiotic properties, which may kill the bacteria and infection naturally. Garlic juice is full of antibacterial and antimicrobial activities, which may quickly eliminate the infection of the eye while promoting healing.
Follow the steps here:
- Peel a fresh garlic clove and cut into half
- Grind it into a paste and apply it to your affected area
- Wait for 15 seconds, take off it and then close your eyes
- Relax and blink the eyes
- Repeat this routine with the new garlic
It might sting a lot, but you should still avoid watering your eyes if you could bear the pain. You will see good results after several applications.
Caution: You need to keep using this method every 4-6 hours because the remaining pathogens will continuously increase their number.
9. Chamomile Tea
Chamomile tea has a great soothing effect that can promote your infection to heal and end. Chamomile tea may treat runny, irritated eyes and styes effectively .
Despite it works, it may take time to show noticeable results. All you have to do is:
- Prepare a strong chamomile tea
- Let it cool down a little bit and while it is still warm, dip a cotton ball into the tea
- Place the ball over your affected area
That case, it might sting a little bit, but it will disappear soon. If the stye is inside your eye, open your eyes to let this solution go into.
10. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera, a simple but helpful treatment for styes, is famous for its anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and soothing properties. It is perfect for taking care of your eye health. It may reduce swelling, redness, and inflammation while speeding up the healing process naturally.
- Cut a fresh aloe vera leaf into halves and extract the gel from it
- Rub it over your affected area and wait for 20 minutes before rinsing with tepid water
- Re-apply this method several times per day for 4-5 days
11. Guava Leaves
Because of their natural healing ability, guava leaves are one of the best home remedies for styes. They have anti-inflammatory properties which may eradicate the swelling and redness of the affected area. Along with that, they are antimicrobial in nature and can prevent your eye from getting infected
What you need to do is:
- Take 2-3 guava leaves and wash them in hot water
- Soak a clean cloth in the hot water, wring out excess water
- Put the leaves on the cloth and wrap it carefully
- Take out a leaf and let it cool down
- Apply to your affected area
- Wait for 5 minutes and repeat this routine with other leaves
- Do this method twice per day for 3-4 days
12. Castor Oil
Thanks to its hydrating properties, castor oil is useful to treat infections of the skin. It additionally may decrease the pain and swelling and treat any infection responsible for the stye due to its antimicrobial properties.
For this treatment, immerse a cotton swab in some castor oil and apply to your affected area. Then, rub it a little and wash it off after 15 minutes with lukewarm water. Follow the process several times a day for quick relief.
In spite of its awful smelling, it is actually wondering when it comes to treating styes in eyes. By applying it over your styes using a cotton swab, you will get rid of swelling and inflammation naturally.
Another disinfectant works wonders on an eye stye is clove. It is famous for antimicrobial properties and antioxidants that may boost the healing process dramatically. Take the steps below:
- Prepare 2-3 cloves to grind into a smooth paste by mixing with a proper amount of water
- Apply it over your eyelid and wait for several hours to let it dry
- That way, you will notice a big change in your condition
- Repeat this routine twice per day
You can also use clove oil instead of clove paste by using a Q-tip.
Note: Using cloves might be associated with a burning sensation, once it gets into your eyes. So, be careful!
14. Acacia Leaves
Acacia leaves may be useful for those having painful styes. The soreness and swelling of the eyes will be eliminated in no time. What you have to do is:
- Boil a small bunch of acacia leaves in water
- After draining out the leaves, you use the water to rinse your eyes
- Do it twice per day
15. Onion Rings
This method works because it assists in alleviating the pain. Despite it comes with a stinging and burning sensation, it still boosts the healing process naturally. Thanks to anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties , onions are a good solution for those who are looking for home remedies for styes. Take the steps here:
- Prepare an onion and cut it into slices
- Place them over your affected eyes for several minutes
- Do this twice per day
You can also make use of onions by chopping them and the tear will come out from your eyes due to the pungent fumes of onions. In that case, it will hydrate your eyes naturally and relieve pain, not to mention cleansing the eyes from dust particles and dirt which might cause infection.
16. Tamarind Seeds
Tamarind seeds work well for stye relief because it may eliminate both swelling and pain associated with styes. Hence, this treatment acts as one of the most effective home remedies for styes.
- Prepare a handful of tamarind seeds and soak them into 2 cups of water
- After 12 hours, use the water to rinse your affected area
- Repeat this routine twice per day for quick relief.
17. Milk Cream
The warmth of milk cream may help to reduce the swelling and get rid of any pus that might be present. Milk cream can also help to diminish darkness around eyes.
What you need to do is:
- Warm up 1 tablespoon of milk cream (just enough to sting the eye a little bit while still being bearable to the eyes)
- Use a cotton to apply it over your affected area, focusing on the stye
- After it dries out, mix 1 tablespoon of milk with 4 tablespoons of water to create a solution to clean the area
- Wipe it dry with a clean cloth
- Do this twice per day till your problem disappears
18. Bitter Gourd
Due to the presence of bioactive compounds, bitter gourd may help fight against numerous lifestyle-related ailments such as cancer insurgence, abdominal pain, kidney (stone), diabetes mellitus, fever, and scabies. It can also work as a natural detoxifying agent. It can clean your skin and eliminate the stye efficiently. You can also use the remained gourd particles from the bitter gourd tea as a homemade compress. This can lessen your pain thanks to the antibacterial properties of bitter gourd.
- Take a gourd and cut into slices
- Apply it to your styes directly
- Wait for 15 minutes before removing them off and rinsing it off with water
You can also brew a tea out of the bitter gourd. Have this tea in the morning before having breakfast. For taste, you can also add a pinch of salt. Repeat twice per day.
19. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is very versatile with anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. It can reduce the infection and swelling naturally. The low acidity of apple cider vinegar is also beneficial for healing eye styes .
- Dilute 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in 1 cup of water
- Soak a clean cotton ball in the solution, squeeze out excess liquid and place it over your styes for 2-3 minutes
- Repeat this routine 2-3 times per day
Using apple cider vinegar will sting a little bit. If the solution hurts too much, you should rinse your eye thoroughly with clean, cool water.
20. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is a powerful essential oil which has helped a lot of people eradicate all types of skin and fungal issues. It is also helpful in removing stye symptoms and can be used on its own or as an addition to other treatments on many diseases thanks to its antifungal, antibacterial, antiviral and antiparasitic properties . It is effective at soothing inflammation and promoting healing.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of pure and natural tea tree oil with 2 tablespoons of cooled, boiled water
- Place the mixture in a refrigerator to let it cool for 2-3 hours
- Use a makeup pad or clean cloth to apply to the stye and let your skin absorb it
- Repeat this routine thrice per day until the styes disappear
21. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is very beneficial for skin care routines because it works as an astringent and can cleanse the area. The warmth of the water mixed with Epsom salt will reduce your styes soon. It also may give instant relief from the pain caused by styes.
What you have to do is:
- Mix 1 teaspoon of Epsom salt with 1 cup of warm water
- Use a clean washcloth to soak in the solution and wring out excess water before placing it over your affected eye
- Wait for 10-15 minutes before rinsing it off with water
- Repeat this routine 3-4 times per day
22. Oil Of Oregano
Basing on the stye cause, it might keep coming back, even after a long time. Some individuals have experienced recurring styes for many years. It is because that infection which needs antibiotics to go away. Thus, it is essential to find an antibiotic, particularly a natural one. If you are looking for it, many studies have shown that the oil of oregano is very powerful, and sometimes even more powerful than those medical antibiotics. Oregano oil may enhance the healing process in bacterial infections and prevent antibiotic-resistant strain development  .
However, the fact is, this oil will not kill bad bacteria as other antibiotics. The method below is recommended for adults. Children should have a consultation with doctors.
- Open your mouth and put 3 drops of oil of oregano under your tongue
- Keep it there for up to 5 minutes prior to swallowing
- Repeat this routine thrice per day till your problem goes away
You can also add 3 drops of oil of oregano to a tablespoon of water and swallow them.
The next treatment in the list of home remedies for styes is honey. Honey is considered an emollient which can keep your skin moisturized. This effect is beneficial in decreasing itching sensations in the problem area. Its anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and anti-allergen effects are very beneficial for treating many skin conditions, including eye stye.
- Put 3 tablespoons of organic honey in 2 cups of hot water
- Let the mixture to cool down a little bit before rinsing your affected area with it
- Repeat this routine twice per day
24. Colloidal Silver
Colloidal silver is an antibacterial solution which can be used to treat styes in eyes. Ỉt is powerful to control any infection, yet it is gentle on healthy cells. It can destroy the cell wall of harmful microbes (pathogens) through catalytic oxidation. According to the author of the bestselling book The pH Miracle, Robert O. Young, Ph.D., colloidal silver works wonderfully for both ear and eye problems.
Just simply put 1-2 drops of colloidal silver in your affected eyes to help kill the bacteria triggering the infection. It will heal styes instantly. You can also take a tissue and add several drops of colloidal silver onto it. Then, place it over your stye-prone area for about 5 minutes.
- Remember to cleanse your hands before touching your eyes
- Avoid sharing your cosmetic eye tools or cosmetics with other people
- Keep your eyes hygienic and wash them at least thrice per day
- Use clean water to rinse your eyes
- Keep your contact lenses clean if you use them
- Avoid rupturing the stye because it will cause infection
- Avoid wearing contact lenses or eye makeup if you have an eye stye
- Avoid using anyone else’s washcloth, towel, and other items.
- Avoid trying to pop a stye because it might spread the infectious pathogen before they are removed, thereby leading to more styes.
- Avoid using those harsh chemicals, such as boric acid, if not taken under medical supervision.
- Before going to bed, remove your makeup and discard contaminated or old eye makeup.
- Replace your eye makeup, like mascara and eyeliners every 3 to 4 months
- Sleep from 6 to 8 hours per day
- Avoid stress and anxiety because it might lower your immunity and trigger potential infections easily
- Use good quality medicine to treat your eye styes. For recurrent conditions, use antibiotic eye drops or creams
Now, you have learned some of the best home remedies for styes in eyes. You basically could use natural ingredients as most styes do not come with much intervention. Nonetheless, having a stye is rather unpleasant and if for some reasons, your styes do not improve after trying out these home remedies for styes, or even get worse, then you should see your doctor instead. For any comment about this post, feel free to drop your ideas at the comment box below.