For all of us, the feeling of dry skin is bad, but the feeling of chapped, dry lips is much worse. This feeling is hard to get rid of rapidly and it could drive the sufferer crazy. Actually, weather, wind exposure or sunburn often causes the human lips to dry. In most cases, chapped lips are not caused by a serious condition and don’t come with any serious health risks. This article is for you if you are suffering from dry and chapped lips. Check out to find out the best natural home remedies for chapped lips.
- Home remedies for prune lips treatment
- Home remedies for angular cheilitis infection
- How to get rid of swollen lip symptoms fast
What Are Chapped Lips?
Chapped lips are the most common form of lip inflammation, which is known in medical terms as common Cheilitis or Cheilitis simplex. This inflammation may include the vermilion border, the perioral skin or the labial mucosa.
This condition causes the lips to either fissure, cracked or peeling that usually causes an uncomfortable feeling whenever the lips are stretched whilst eating or speaking.
Treatment options might vary widely depending on the causes of this condition and the extent of lip damage which has already happened. Consider how sensitive and thin the skin around your mouth and on the lips is. It is not surprising that cheilitis happens so often.
Causes Of Chapped Lips?
The skin on and around the lips is very sensitive and the damage to it might happen for even the silliest reasons. Here are some of the most common causes of chapped, dry lips:
- Sensitive, Thin Skin Around The Mouth And On The Lips
Each part of the body has different skin thickness and textures, depending on the purpose we are using it for. It is not necessary to have thick skin on the lips when we just use them for gentle activities such as talking or eating, which may not produce any impact.
- Lack Of Sebaceous Glands
The sebaceous and sweat glands could be found throughout the human body, but not on the lips. Healthy and soft looking skin is the skin having enough water content. However, environmental and other factors can lead to a reduction in the water content of the skin. For the lips, the lack of sebaceous glands to preserve their content of water means that they dry out faster and could become painful and cracked. It is because of the lack of protective coating of the oily secretion of the sebaceous glands.
- Cold Weather
The condition of low temperature will make blood vessels to contract, making reduced blood flow and oxygenation. The lip skin is thin, so its blood vessels are close to the surface and therefore more exposed to the secondary effects of the cold weather. The lips when being exposed to the severe cold weather will lose their rosy, healthy color and might turn blue because of blood vessels contracting to a point that they fail to appropriately oxygenate the skin.
- Low Humidity And Arid Climate
The lips need a healthy content of water to look soft and plump. Arid climates and low humidity combined with the shortage of sebaceous glands will result in lack of water, drying out and cracking.
- Inappropriate And Prolonged Sun Exposure
Going out under the sun is just healthy only if done correctly. The inappropriate and prolonged sun exposure will lead to dehydration and the lips are amongst the initial part to lose water, becoming cracked and drying out.
This factor is just bad for the lips if persistent. Blowing of wind in the face for a long period of time will lead to chapped lips and dry mouth corners.
- Fungal, Bacterial Infection
Specific fungi target the human lips, but infections could be subdued with the aid of special antifungal remedies along with ointment. On the other hand, bacterial infections are more difficult to handle due to their complex nature. The doctor may prescribe you ointments, creams, antibiotics, and other medication to deal with infection and soothe damaged lips.
- Lip Licking, Lip Biting, Sucking And Chewing On The Saliva And Lower Lip
Those habits are negative to lip appearance and health. Chewing on the lips or biting them could result in subsequent drying, burning, bleeding, cracks, and pain. Lip sucking and licking with the saliva moistening intent can contribute to drying out them much faster. Also, digestive enzymes in saliva can result in irritation while further contributing to dry, chapped lips.
It is shown that not all allergies manifest similarly. Some people are allergic to something while others do not. The most common reasons for allergic contact cheilitis is lip cosmetics such as lip balm and lipsticks, followed by toothpastes. For example, people who are allergic to cherries report experiencing eczema around the mouth and painful swelling of lips. The kind of reaction and its severity might vary from person to person.
- Deficiencies Of Vitamins And Minerals
Chapped, dry lips accompanied by itching and eczema around the mouth could be a consequence of vitamin and mineral shortages, particularly vitamin A, B group, E, iron, folate. Vitamin C which can increase the production of collagen can help initiate the skin and tissue recovery is believed to aid in regenerating lips.
Symptoms Of Chapped Lips?
If you are suffering from chapped lips, you might experience the following symptoms:
- Dry lip skin
- Cracks on lips
- Pain whenever stretching the lips (for example: when talking and eating)
Such symptoms, if diagnosed, could just mean chapped lips or similar things. Treatment can be done as fast as possible to prevent further damage to the lips.
Top 13 Effective Home Remedies For Chapped Lips
Chapped, cracked lips could be managed through a wide range of different natural treatments. Some of the most effective home remedies for chapped lips are listed below:
The first and foremost, when it comes to home remedies for chapped lips, is exfoliating your lips. This method will help you get rid of dead skin cells and other impurities whilst exposing a fresh lip skin . It is recommended using this treatment before applying any ointment to help initiate the process of healing. Nonetheless, it is crucial to be gentle while exfoliating because aggressive actions could lead to bleeding and worsen your condition, making it more hypersensitive. There are some ways to exfoliate your lips, including:
Method 1: Honey And Sugar
- Combined sugar and honey with the ratio of 2:1 to have a good paste
- Apply this paste to your lips and wait for 15 minutes.
- Use your fingers to scrub gently
- Rinse it thoroughly with tepid water
- Do this twice per week to get the good results
Method 2: Bristle Toothbrush
- Use a soft bristle toothbrush to exfoliate your lips
- Make sure that it is clean before being used.
Rather than purchasing expensive lip balms of various brands in the market, you can take a bottle of glycerin and take its advantage. It can moisturize your skin and make it look beautiful thanks to moisturizing properties . In details, what glycerin can do for your lips are:
- Delaying the signs of aging
- Keeping lips moisturized
- Making lips soft and healthy
- Making lips pink
- Preventing bleeding and flaking
- Making your lips supple and smooth
- Prevent irritation
- Removing blemishes
- Removing dead skin
- Treating mouth sores and mouth ulcers
Making glycerin a part of your daily beauty care will help you maintain not only healthy lips but also beautiful skin. You can use glycerin in the single form or combine it with other ingredients to get maximum results.
Method 1: Glycerin & Lemon Juice
- Mix equal amounts of lemon juice and glycerin together
- Apply this mixture over your lips to prevent flaking and bleeding of lips
- Add some honey to boost the effects (optional)
Method 2: GLycerin & Castor Oil
You can also use glycerin to exfoliate your lips gently by mixing it with castor oil with equal quantities.
Not only does glycerin help to heal chapped lips, but it also protects your lips from getting dark due to using lipstick regularly. Just simply apply a small amount of glycerin to your lips before applying lipstick. This also helps the lipstick glide on smoothly.
3. Aloe Vera Gel
With anti-inflammatory and healing effects, aloe vera can treat severely chapped lips and relieve pain associated with chapped lips easily. Traditionally, people use this plant as herbal medicine. Considering as a multi-purpose skin treatment, aloe vera is also an effective moisturizer . It may strengthen the thin protective layer of skin covering your lips while providing a cooling effect.
- Take a fresh aloe vera leaf to extract the gel
- Apply it over your lips directly twice per day to get the best results.
Note: Though there are many health and beauty benefits of aloe vera, there are still apprehensions about the medicinal uses of this plant. It could be harmful when ingested in large doses. Generally, topical applications seem to be okay.
4. Rose Petals
If you are suffering from chapped lips and you have a rose flower in the garden, there you are having one of the worth-trying home remedies for chapped lips. This treatment not only helps you keep the lips moisturized but also enhances their pink color. Rose petals contain skin nourishing properties because they are rich in vitamin E. It because of its antiseptic agent has been used as an eyewash and is used to help moisturize the skin.
- Create a paste made from fragrant rose petals mixed with milk cream or glycerin
- Apply it to your lips twice or thrice per day to make your lips supple and soft
- For the best results, you can use it overnight
5. Coconut Oil
The carrier oils such as coconut oil, olive oil, and castor oil are the most effective natural lubricants and moisturizers. They have healthy fatty acids which supply the lips with essential oils and make them softer and soft . By adding essential oils like grapeseed oil or tea tree oil will promote the healing process of chapped lips. Also, they prevent infections, particularly if the dryness has resulted in cracks on the lips .
Choose virgin coconut oil to get maximum results.
- Mix 1-2 drops of grapeseed oil, or neem oil or tea tree oil in some coconut oil
- Apply it to your lips and wait for a few hours before rinsing it off
- Repeat this routine 2-3 times per day, especially before going to bed
6. Green Tea Bag
A wet green tea bag can moisturize your lips and initiate the healing process naturally. Green tea has tannins and antioxidants that help to combat the dehydrated and dry skin on your lips. Along with that, it alleviates the burning sensation caused by the dryness.
- Take a green tea bag to wet it
- Then, press it against your chapped lips for 5 minutes or so
- Apply it twice or thrice per day until you get smooth and soft lips
The next suggestion among home remedies for chapped lips you should not skip is honey. This ingredient acts as a natural emollient and humectants by drawing moisture from the air into chapped, dry lips and keep it stable to prevent any further dryness.
Besides, vitamins B1 and B6 are found in honey are essential for appropriate nourishment of the skin, including the lips. Also, these vitamins boost the formation of new skin cells, thereby resulting in softer lips.
Vitamin B12 and zinc in it are helpful in protecting the lips from free radical damage. Not only that, honey is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial which may prevent cracked lips from being infected by bacteria.
It also has vitamin C and acts as a natural mild exfoliant which can remove damaged and dead skin cells from the top layers of dry lips.
To make use of honey for chapped lip removal, follow the guidelines here:
- Apply raw organic honey to your chapped lips a few times per day
- You can also make a paste of glycerin and honey and use it on your lips before heating the hay to get softer lips.
8. Cocoa Butter, Mango Butter, And Shea Butter
Cocoa butter is a good skin moisturizer that can heal the skin naturally. It is also a good source of natural antioxidants which could prevent the signs of aging.
On the other hand, shea butter is the pure fat originated from the shea tree’s nuts. It is used to help moisturize and soften the skin, whilst mango butter, a fatty acid, is obtained from the seeds of the mango tree and rich in stearic and oleic fatty acid, in addition to omega-9.
These kinds of butter are emollients, meaning that they could soften the skin, including your lips . The emollient effects act a natural protect fence by providing and retaining moisture in the skin and lips.
You can make your own natural butter lip balm as follows:
- Melt 2 tablespoons each of coconut oil and natural butter, plus with 1 tablespoon of beeswax over a double boiler on a low heat
- Mix well, then pour the mixture into a glass container, and allow it to cool down.
The consistency of the solution should be a medium firm. To get firmer consistency, add more beeswax.
Cucumber is a natural moisturizer which has vitamins and nutrients that can keep your skin smooth and healthy . It is 90 percent water, thus acting as an excellent natural moisturizer for chapped, dry lips. Plus, it helps to stimulate collagen production thanks to its vitamin C.
All you have to do is:
- Take a fresh cucumber to cut into slices
- Rub it over your chapped lips
- Allow it to be absorbed into your lips and wait for another 15 minutes
- Wash it off with tepid water
- Repeat this routine regularly
10. Petroleum Jelly
One of the most economical OTC solutions for cracked, chapped lips is petroleum jelly. It is commonly used to nourish and soften the skin and inhibits it from drying. It further helps lock in the moisture in the skin .
You can combine it with honey to get optimal results.
- After rubbing a thin layer of honey on your lips, rub another layer of petroleum jelly
- Leave it on for 15 minutes and remove it with a dry, clean cotton ball
- Repeat this process twice per day
11. Almond Oil
Being a hypoallergenic moisturizer, almond oil is used as a natural treatment to dry your lips. It has a free radical fighter and vitamin A and C. Nava Greenfield, MD at Schweiger Dermatology Group in New York City said that almond oil has been used in a lot of ways on the skin thanks to its immunity-boosting, emollient, anti-inflammatory, and sclerosant properties. “It is a safe, great product to use on your lips if they are cracked and dry”, she also says. The oil also possesses moisturizing qualities making it ideal to use as a natural lip balm. Just simply apply some almond oil to your lips to help rehydrate them.
12. Lemon Juice
You can use lemon juice as an effective remedy for chapped, dark lips. This ingredient acts as a natural exfoliant and bleach. Honey can nourish the skin and protect it from the damage of harmful free radicals.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of honey and lemon juice together, followed by ½ teaspoon of castor oil
- Apply it over your lips as a mask
- Keep it on for 10 minutes before washing it off with water
- Repeat this method every day for 7 to 10 days.
13. Have A Proper Diet
Similar to the skin on the rest of your body, your lip skin also needs to be kept hydrated. Some dietary tips to relieve chapped and cracked lips are:
- Take enough water along with other fluids
- Follow a balanced diet containing different foods. The human body needs a gradual supply of some vitamins and minerals to stay young and healthy.
- Consume fruits and veggies because they are high in antioxidants. This can protect your body from the adverse effects of free radicals that affect the skin cells. If you are not able to get all essential nutrients from the daily diet, consult your doctor to take nutritional supplements.
- Obtain vitamin A from different foods such as apricots, milk, and carrots because it can help in skin repair and maintenance.
- Take enough vitamin C that is found in citrus fruits and some veggies to protect your body from sun damage. It also supports the process of tissue repair. Even, vitamin C can increase collagen production and make your lips supple and fuller.
- Leafy veggies, nuts, and eggs have high vitamin E amounts, helping prevent wrinkles and fine lines. Aging can result in dryness of your lips, so it is crucial to give your body adequate vitamin amount.
Despite there are home remedies for chapped lips, not getting them in the first place is much better. You could do all things to avoid chapped lips, and some of the most important are:
- Diet: Include fresh fruits and veggies to your daily diet to make sure that you get all the important nutrients. Remember that nutritional deficiencies could also result in chapped lips.
- Switch Toothpaste: Sometimes, chapped lips are a reaction to the fluoride toothpaste. Thus, you should switch to another toothpaste, which does not has fluoride as a preventative measure.
Now that you know the most effective home remedies for chapped lips, try them right now. The main aim of these treatments is to rid the surface of your lips of the dead and flaky skin and provide you with the soft skin. Follow these natural solutions for this problem and get supple and soft lips in no time.