Both men and women have hair growing on their face. However, for women, it is very faint and often not noticeable until later in life. That is why many people think that boys have facial hair, but girls do not. In teenage boys, facial hair seems to grow thick and darken due to the impact of testosterone – a male sex hormone. As the body goes into puberty or adolescence, the testicles start producing more testosterone, which is responsible for a lot of changes in the body, including the growth of beard.
For women, unwanted facial hair is one of the biggest nightmares. That is why they are continuously looking for ways to wax it. Unwanted hair growth in women is also known as hirsutism. If you have dark hair, then you are likely to be hairier than those with a lighter color or blonde hair. Although having some facial hair is somewhat normal, some people seem to have coarser, thicker and abnormal hair growth on the face, especially on the upper lip area.
In fact, of all the beauty treatments out there, eliminating facial hair is considered one of the least comfortable. Many women are spending hundreds of dollars on epilators, trimmers, waxing kits, and safety razors to remove facial hair permanently. But, you do not have to do so because there are some natural ways to remove facial hair at home.
If you are looking for easy but effective methods on how to remove facial hair permanently at home, read this article. Here, we will show you some of the tried-and-tested methods to remove facial hair, whiskers, moustaches, goatees, and sideburns.
TrueRemedies Partner Solutions
Need a Help from the Leading Expert Online, Available 24/7?
They’re all here and ready to answer your questions online or by phone. Keep asking questions until you get the answer you need.
How To Remove Facial Hair Permanently Fast – 24 Homemade Ways
Papayas have papain, an enzyme which breaks down hair follicles, thereby preventing them from re-growing. Using papaya on your face may inhibit hair growth, making it much easier to keep the mustache, sideburns, and chin whiskers under control. You can combine papaya with some other ingredients to get quick results.
Method 1: Papaya and turmeric
- Use a spoon to scoop out several chunks of raw papaya flesh.
- Add ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder and mix them well using a fork.
- Apply the mixture to your face, especially the hairy areas.
- Massage gently to let the paste absorb into your skin.
- Wait for 15 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water
- Repeat this routine twice per week for 1-2 weeks.
Method 2: Papaya and aloe vera
- Mix 1 tablespoon of papaya paste with 2-3 tablespoons of aloe vera gel, 1 tablespoon of mustard oil, ½ teaspoon each of gram flour and turmeric powder.
- Add 2 drops of any essential oil to that mixture.
- Apply this paste to your face and wait for 15 minutes.
- Rub a clean and dry cloth in the opposite direction of the hair to eradicate the paste.
- Rinse it off with water and pat dry.
- Use olive oil or any moisturizers to massage your skin.
- Repeat this routine 3-4 times per day for 3 months.
- This method is suitable for all skin types. But, do not use soap to wash off the mixture.
Sugar has been used to eliminate unwanted facial hair for a long time. This approach gives long term benefits as it grabs onto short hair cells. Warm sugar sticks to facial hair, not the skin. Then, when it becomes dry, it will rip the hair off when you remove it from your face.
Besides, sugar is just slightly warmed for external application. Thus, it comes with less discomfort, unlike wax, which has been heated to a higher temperature. Sugaring may be done more frequently than waxing. Moreover, the sugar paste is removed in the same direction of the hair, causing less discomfort and damage to the skin than waxing. Waxing may remove the top layer of the skin. That is the reason why many people choose sugaring instead of waxing.
Method 1: Sugar and lemon juice
- Mix 2 tablespoons of sugar with 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice, followed by 8-9 teaspoons of water.
- Heat the mixture and allow it to cool down somehow.
- Apply it to your skin in the hair growing direction.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with cold water, rub in a circular motion.
- Re-apply this method 3 times per week for a few weeks.
- This method is suitable for all skin types.
- People with dry skin should not keep the paste on the skin for more than 20 minutes.
- Do not overheat the paste because you may be scalded.
- Do not leave it on your skin for more than 30 minutes; otherwise, your skin will be dry and flaky.
- Do not get sugaring done during your menstrual period because it may cause pain to the skin. Besides, avoid oil-based moisturizers for 3 days before sugaring to make the process easier.
Method 2: Sugar And Molasses
You can use the combination of sugar and molasses to remove hair on face while enjoying a sweet fragrance. This paste is sticky and gooey that sticks to your facial hair when it dries. This routine is somewhat similar to waxing. It is not suitable for those with acne-prone or sensitive skin.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of sugar with some molasses.
- Heat the mixture until the sugar dissolves entirely.
- Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and mix them well.
- Apply it to your face in the direction of the hair.
- Cover your face with a waxing strip or cloth.
- Pull it off in the opposite direction of hair growth.
Note: You should apply a too hot mixture to your face as it may lead to scaled skin.
3. Egg Whites
Enriched with protein, eggs have incredible benefits for your skin. It provides essential nutrients to slow down the aging process and protect your skin from the damage of free radicals; thereby, keeping it young and healthy.
Besides, egg white is also a wonderful ingredient to remove facial hair. It acts as a peel-off mask to remove all dirt, impurities, and unwanted hair on your face if applied regularly.
- Mix an egg white with 1 tablespoon of regular table sugar and ½ tablespoon of cornstarch until it forms a smooth paste.
- Apply it to your face and let it dry naturally.
- Wash it off and apply a moisturizer afterwards.
4. Gram Flour
This is one of the little-known but effective ways on how to remove facial hair permanently without using depilation cream. Also known as chickpea flour or besan, gram flour combined with water or other ingredients will help to not only exfoliate your skin but also remove dead skin cells and unwanted hair. Moreover, it lightens your skin naturally.
Green gram flour mixed with rose water even helps cure skin problems. Alternatively, if you combine it with turmeric, you will have a traditional Indian method permanent hair removal that gives fast and safe results.
Method 1: Green gram flour and rose water
- Mix 2 teaspoons of green gram flour with ½ teaspoon of rose water.
- Add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice to the mixture.
- Apply this paste to your face and wait for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with water.
- Repeat this routine thrice per week.
Method 2: Gram flour, aloe vera, and mustard oil
- Mix ¼ tablespoon each of gram flour and turmeric powder with 4 tablespoons of aloe vera gel, 2 tablespoons of mustard oil, followed by 1 tablespoon of papaya paste and 2 drops of your chosen essential oil.
- Apply this mixture to your facial skin.
- Wait until it dries entirely.
- Use a dry and clean cloth to gently scrub the mixture in the opposite direction of hair growth.
- Wash it off with cold water and pat dry your skin.
- Apply a natural moisturizer.
- Repeat this routine 3-4 times per week.
Method 3: Gram flour and turmeric
- Mix besan with turmeric at a ratio of 2:1.
- Add some water to have a thick paste.
- Apply it to your unwanted hair and wait for 20 minutes.
- Scrub the application using your clean fingers.
- Wash it off with water and pat dry your skin.
- Re-apply this method thrice per week.
- Or, you can use yogurt, lemon juice, or milk cream as alternatives for water.
Method 4: Gram flour and almond oil
- Mix 2 tablespoons of gram flour with ½ teaspoon each of almond oil and turmeric.
- Apply it to your face and wait until it dries naturally.
- Scrub it using your wet fingers before washing it off with water.
- Repeat this routine thrice per week.
Method 5: Gram flour and lemon juice
- Mix 2 tablespoons each of lemon juice and gram flour with ¼ teaspoon of turmeric.
- Apply it to your face and wait until it becomes dry.
- Scrub it using your fingers and wash it off with cold water.
- Repeat this method regularly.
- Apart from the ingredients above, you can also combine gram flour with wheat bran or sandalwood powder.
- Steam the area with unwanted hair before applying any methods above to help open skin pores and make it easy to eliminate the hairs from their roots.
- Repeat those methods regularly to get desired results. Be patient to see noticeable improvement.
- Do a path test on your arm before using any regular treatments.
- Scrub gently because harshness might result in rashes as well as other skin issues.
5. Spearmint Tea
Excessive hair growth is usually attributed to the excessive production of androgens within your body. Fortunately, spearmint tea is proved to have significant antiandrogen effects. A study was conducted to identify the benefits of spearmint tea for women with hirsutism. The subjects of this study were given herbal spearmint tea twice per day for about 5 days in the follicular stage of their menstrual cycles. The result showed that there was a significant decrease in follicle-stimulating hormone in those people. Therefore, it was claimed that spearmint tea may be an alternative treatment for unwanted hair.
- Boil a cup of water.
- Add 1 teaspoon of dried spearmint or 4-5 fresh spearmint leaves.
- Cover the container and allow it to steep for 5-10 minutes.
- Strain and drink that tea.
- Have it twice per day.
6. Lemon Juice And Honey
Lemon juice and honey sound too good to be true regarding how to remove facial hair permanently, but they do. Having a sticky nature, a mask made from honey and lemon juice may eliminate fine hair from your face. Lemon juice works as an exfoliating and cleansing agent while honey may soften the hair thanks to its moisturizing and hydrating properties.
Furthermore, having anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, this mask also helps avoid acne breakouts and irritation. Thanks to the bleaching effect, lemon juice may also lighten your facial skin.
- Mix fresh lemon juice with honey at a ratio of 1:4.
- Apply it to your face.
- Wash it off after 15-20 minutes using a washcloth soaked in lukewarm water.
- Repeat this routine twice per week for several months.