Both men and women have hair growing on their face. However, for women, it is very faint and often not noticeable till later in life. That is why many people think that boys have facial hair but girls do not. In teenage boys, facial hair seems to grow thick and darkens due to the impact of testosterone. It is the male sex hormone. As the body goes into puberty, the testicles of themselves start producing more testosterone, which is responsible for a lot of changes that the body undergoes. One of the changes resulted from this hormone is getting a beard.
For women, unwanted facial hair is their biggest nightmare. That is why they are continuously looking for ways to wax it. Unwanted hair growth in women is also known as hirsutism. If you have dark hair, then you are likely to be hairier than those with a lighter color or blonde hair. Despite having some facial hair is rather normal, some people seem to have coarser, thicker and abnormal hair growth on face, especially on the upper lip area.
In fact, of all the beauty treatments out there, eliminating facial hair is considered one of the least comfortable – yet it does not have to be hard as long as you opt for the right method for your preferences, needs and hair type. Many women are spending hundreds of dollars on epilators, trimmers, waxing kits, and safety razors on removing facial hair permanently. But, you do not have to do like them because there are still some natural ways to remove facial hair at home.
If you are looking for effective but easy ways on how to remove facial hair permanently at home, then you need to read this article. Here we from TrueRemedies.com will show you some of tried-and tested methods to remove ingrown facial hair, trim those whiskers, and get rid of that moustache.
How To Remove Facial Hair Permanently Fast – 32 Homemade Ways
Papayas have papain, an enzyme which breaks down hair follicles, thereby preventing them from regrowing more hairs.
Using papaya on your face can inhibit hair growth, making it much easier to keep our moustache, sideburns and chin whiskers under control. You can combine papaya with some other ingredients to get quicker results, including turmeric.
Method 1: Papaya and turmeric
- Take a spoon to scoop out several chunks of raw papaya flesh
- Add ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder into and mix ingredients together by using a fork
- After having a thick paste, use your finger to apply it over your face, especially those hairy areas
- Massage gently to let the paste be absorbed into your skin and hair
- Wait for 15 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water
- Repeat this routine twice per week for 1-2 weeks to notice the best results
Method 2: Papaya and aloe vera
- Mix 1 tablespoons of papaya paste with 2-3 tablespoons of aloe vera gel, 1 tablespoon of mustard oil, ½ teaspoon each of gram flour and turmeric powder
- Add 2 drops of any essential oil to that mixture
- Apply this paste over your face and wait for 15 minutes
- Rub a clean and dry cloth in the opposite direction of the hair to eradicate the paste
- Rinse it off with water, pat dry
- Use olive oil or any type of moisturizers to massage your skin
- Repeat this routine 3-4 times per day for 3 months for good results
This method is suitable for all skin types. But, do not use soap for rinsing it off.
2. How To Remove Facial Hair Permanently – Sugar
Sugar has been used for a long time for eliminated unwanted facial hair. This is a super effective and easy treatment when it comes to learning how to remove facial hair permanently.
This approach to facial hair removal gives long term benefits as the paste grabs onto shorter hair growth. Warm sugar sticks to facial hair, not the skin. Then, after it gets dried, it will rip the hair off if you remove it from your face. Besides, sugar is just slightly warmed for external application. Thus, it comes with less discomfort, unlike wax, which has been heated to higher temperature.
Also called as sugaring, this method is a combination of sugar, lemon and water. A number of recipes use honey or other ingredients, yet the basic ingredients are still natural. They do not have scientific names and could be found in your kitchen .
Sugaring could be done more frequently than waxing. The sugar paste is removed in the same direction of the hair growth, causing less discomfort and damage than waxing. Waxing may remove the top layer of skin cells along with the hair. On face, you should choose any hair removal method that causes less irritation and redness.
What you need to do is:
- Mix 2 tablespoons of sugar with 2 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice, followed by 8-9 teaspoons of water
- Heat the mixture up and allow it to cool down somehow
- Apply it over your affected areas in the hair growing direction
- Wait till it dries and keep it there for 20 minutes
- Rinse it off with cold water, rub in a circular motion
- Re-apply this method 3 times per week for a few weeks until you see good results
- This method is suitable for all skin types
- People with dry skin ought to avoid keeping the paste on skin for more than 20 minutes.
- Do not overheat the paste because you may be scalded.
- Do not leave it on your skin for more than 30 minutes otherwise your skin becomes dry and flaky.
- Do not get sugaring done during your menstrual period because this is time when your body is much more sensitive to pain. Besides, avoid oil-based moisturizers for 3 days prior to sugaring in order to make the process easier.
3. Egg Whites
Jam packed with protein, eggs have wonderful benefits for your skin. It provides essential nutrients for your skin to produce collagen, thereby keeping it young and strong.
Besides, egg white is rather sticky upon getting dry, so an egg white mask will stick to your facial hairs. After being ripped off, it will pluck the hair with all ruthless effectiveness of those commercial waxes.
What you have to do is:
- Mix an egg white with 1 tablespoon of regular table sugar, and ½ tablespoon of cornstarch
- Beat the combination till it is smooth and nice
- Apply it to your hair and scalp
- Leave it there till it dries
- Pull it off and apply a moisturizer instantly afterward
4. Gram Flour
This is one of little-known but effective ways on how to remove facial hair permanently without using hair removal cream. Also known as chickpea flour or besan, gram flour combined with water or other ingredients can create a face pack that not only exfoliates your skin but also removes dead skin cells as well as hair. Moreover, it also lightens your skin as well as facial hair naturally.
Green gram flour mixed with rose water evens help cure skin problem such as pimples. Alternatively, if combining it with turmeric, you will have a traditional Indian method for unwanted facial hair removal that gives fast and safe results.
What you have to do is:
Method 1: Green gram flour and rose water
- Mix 2 teaspoons of green gram flour with ½ teaspoon of rose water
- Add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice into the mixture
- Apply this paste over your face and wait for 30 minutes
- Wash your face off with water
- Repeat this routine thrice per week
Method 2: Gram flour, aloe vera and mustard oil
- Mix ¼ tablespoons each of gram flour, turmeric powder with 4 tablespoons of aloe vera gel, 2 tablespoons of mustard oil, followed by 1 tablespoon of papaya paste and 2 drops of your chosen essential oil
- Apply this mixture on your facial skin
- Wait till it dries entirely
- Use a dry and clean cloth to scrub off that mixture gently in the opposite direction of hair growth
- Wash it off with cold water and pat dry
- Apply your moisturizer
- Repeat this routine 3-4 times per week
Method 3: Gram flour and turmeric
- Mix besan or gram flour with turmeric as the ratio of 2:1
- Add some water to have a thick paste
- Apply it over your unwanted hair and wait for 20 minutes
- Scrub off the application using your clean fingers
- Wash it off with water, pat dry
- Reapply this method thrice per week
Or, you can also use yogurt, lemon juice or milk cream as alternatives for water.
Method 4: Gram flour and almond oil
- Mix 2 tablespoons of gram flour with ½ teaspoon each of almond oil and turmeric
- Apply it over your face and wait till it dries
- Scrub it off using your wet fingers, wash it off with water
- Repeat this routine thrice per week
Method 5: Gram flour and lemon juice
- Mix 2 tablespoons each of lemon juice and gram flour and ¼ teaspoon of turmeric
- Apply it over your face and wait till it dries
- Scrub it using your fingers and wash it off with cold water
- Repeat regularly
Aside from the ingredients above, you can also combine gram flour with wheat bran, sandalwood powder for similar effects.
- Remember to steam the area prior to apply any method above to help open skin pores and make it easy to eliminate the hairs from their roots.
- Repeat those methods regularly to get desired results. Be patient to see noticeable results.
- Path test on your arms prior to using any regular treatments.
- Scrub gently because harshness might result in rashes as well as other skin issues.
5. How To Remove Facial Hair Permanently – Spearmint Tea
Excessive hair growth is usually attributed to the excessive production of androgen within your body. It also helps regulate your body’s hormone levels.
In accordance with a study conducted by Turkish researchers, it was shown that spearmint tea could be beneficial for women with hirsutism. The subjects of this study were given herbal spearmint tea two times per day for about 5 days in the follicular stage of their menstrual cycles. The follicular stage starts on the 1st day of your cycle and keeps lasting for approximately 14 days .
To know how to remove facial hair permanently using spearmint tea, take the following steps
- Take a cup of water and boil up
- Put 1 teaspoon of dried spearmint into or 4-5 fresh spearmint leaves
- Cover the container and allow it to steep for 5-10 minutes
- Strain and drink that tea
- Have it twice per day
6. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice sounds too good to be true regarding how to remove facial hair permanently, but it does. You need to combine it with honey to have an effective solution. Having sticky nature, a mask made from honey and lemon juice can eliminate fine hair from your face. Lemon juice works as an exfoliating and cleansing agent while honey can soften the hair thanks to its moisturizing and hydrating properties.
Furthermore, being an anti-inflammatory and antibacterial, this mask also helps avoid skin breakout and irritation. Due to its bleaching effect, lemon juice also lightens your facial hair and skin.
Take the steps below to know how to remove facial hair permanently using lemon juice:
- Mix fresh lemon juice with honey as the ratio of 1:4
- Apply it over your face
- Remove it off after 15-20 minutes using a washcloth soaked in tepid water
- Repeat this routine twice per week for several months.
Being a gently exfoliating agent, oatmeal can scrub away fine hair growing on y our face. Commercial scrubs might leave your skin itchy, red, and dry, whereas oatmeal is a natural scrub containing antioxidants which can reduce redness while protecting your skin against UV sun damage. If combined with other ingredients such as lemon and honey, it will make your skin hydrated and soft.
Follow these guidelines:
- Just simple mix half of a teaspoon of coarsely ground oatmeal with 1 tablespoon of honey
- Add 6-8 drops of lemon juice into and mix them well
- Apply the paste over your skin and wait for 15-20 minutes
- Scrub it in a circular motion for several minutes before washing it off
- Apply a moisturizer afterward
If used as a scrub, barley will eliminate facial hair, thereby leaving your skin glowing and soft.
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of barley powder, lime juice and milk together
- Apply the paste over your face
- Wait till it dries naturally and rinse it off with tepid water
- Repeat this routine 3-4 times per week
9. Lemon And Orange Peel
The oil extracted from orange peel is taken advantage in many cosmetic products which helps cleanse skin effectively. Lemon and orange peel is also useful in bleaching the hair naturally and also removing hairs in several days:
- Grind 1 teaspoon each of orange and lemon peel
- Add 1 teaspoon each of oatmeal and ground almond (almond meal) to that powder
- After stirring well, add 1 teaspoon of rose water along with 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil to have a good paste
- Apply it over your face and wait for 5-7 minutes
- Rub your finger in circular motions for about 5-10 minutes
- Rinse it off with water
- Repeat this routine 2-3 times per week
10. How To Remove Facial Hair Permanently – Wheat Bran
This is a nutrient-rich outer layer of wheat grain. Not only is it healthy, but it is also a wonderful natural cosmetic product for making a variety of masks as well as scrubs. It can remove unwanted facial hair and eliminate wrinkles and fine lines effectively.
Method 1: Wheat bran and milk
- Mix 1-2 tablespoons of wheat bran with 1 tablespoon of milk and 1 teaspoon of rose water
- Apply the paste over your face, rub gently in circular motions
- Scrub until the paste dries out completely
- Rinse it off with water
- Repeat this routine every day for several days, then do it for 2-3 times per week afterwards.
Method 2: Wheat bran, gram flour, milk cream, and turmeric
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of gram flour, wheat bran, and fresh milk cream together
- Add ¼ teaspoon of turmeric to have a good paste
- Do similarly as the methods above
- Repeat this routine 2-4 times per week
This process can help you in clearing dead skin cells, removing facial hair and making your skin glowing, smooth and soft.
11. Apricot And Honey
Loaded with vitamins and minerals, apricots consist of lycopene –a wonderful antioxidant. When combining apricots with honey, you will have a great facial scrub that can remove hair. Take the steps below:
- Grind dry apricots, then mix it with honey
- Apply that paste over your face and wait for 5-10 minutes
- Scrub gently in circular motions for approximately 15 minutes
- Rinse it off with tepid water
- Repeat this routine twice per week for better results
Potato is excellent in lightening the hair’s color and makes your skin supple and soft. That is why it is mentioned as one of useful methods on how to remove hair permanently.
- Take a potato to slice into halves
- After applying some water on each half, rub it onto your face
- Repeat this routine 2-3 times per day for about 1-2 weeks
Don’t skip: 40 Natural Home Remedies For Oily Hair In Summer
13. How To Remove Facial Hair Permanently – Lentil
If you make a face pack using powdered red lentils, then you will have a great face scrub for unwanted facial hair removal. There are a few ways to use lentils for facial hair removal. Two of the best are:
Method 1: Lentil and honey
- Take ½ cup of red lentils to grind into a fine powder
- Add a proper amount of milk into a bowl of 2 tablespoons of that powder
- Add honey if you want and wait for 15 minutes
- Place the powder in an airtight container
- Apply it to your face, wait for 15-20 minutes before scrubbing it off
- Reapply this routine 2-3 times per week
Note: For those with dry skin, just use it once per week.
Method 2: Lentil, potato juice and honey
In regard to learning how to remove facial hair permanently, using lentil seems lesser known by us. But, it works as an excellent face scrub that removes unwanted facial hair effectively. When combined with potato, it creates an Ayurvedic treatment used for centuries in India. It works wonderfully for both your facial and body hair removal.
- Soak 1 bowl of dried yellow lentils in water overnight
- Crush them into a paste the next morning
- Blend a medium-sized potato in a blender and squeeze out its juice
- Mix potato juice with crushed lentils
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey and the juice of a lemon in that mixture
- Apply it over your face, wait for 15-20 minutes
- Use your fingers to gently scrub and remove it
Note: If you feel burning sensation, wash it off instantly.
Also, you can add sandalwood powder, rose water, and dried orange peel powder to this face pack. Such ingredients are beneficial for your skin health. In particular, potato juice could lighten your skin tone and facial hair.
14. Lavender And Tea Tree Oil
In accordance with a study in 2013, it was found that lavender along with tea tree oil can potentially be efficient in decreasing mild cases of “hirsutism”, which is a condition of unwanted male-patterned hair growth in females.
Researchers of this study sprayed two types of those oils on the affected skin area twice per day for 3 continual months in a specific group of women while the other took a placebo. The results showed that there was a significant reduction in hair in the group using oils. Thus, it is considered as one of great solutions for how to remove facial hair permanently.
What you need to do is:
- Mix 1 teaspoon of lavender with 4-6 drops of tea tree oil
- Apply it over your affected areas twice or thrice per day
- Repeat this routine for a few months to see noticeable results
- Tea tree oil might lead to skin swelling, irritation, dryness, stinging, itching redness, and burning in people with acne-prone skin.
- Avoid consuming and be patient with this method.
15. Alum And Rose Water
Traditionally, alum has been used by Asian women to help inhibit the growth of hair. This ingredient could be used as an after-wax product because it can cool down the skin as well. Especially, people with all skin types can use this method.
What you have to do is:
- Mix 2-3 tablespoons of rose water with ½ teaspoon of alum powder to have a good paste
- Dip a clean cotton ball into the mixture and apply it over your face
- Let it dry
- Repeat this routine 5-6 times per day for normal skin and 3-4 times per day for sensitive skin
- Rinse it off with water afterward
- Apply your moisturizer then, be it olive oil or sesame oil, etc.
Note: Sometimes, alum could result in skin irritation and mucous membranes.
16. Indian Nettle And Turmeric
Indian nettle, if combined with turmeric, will penetrate your skin and thin the hair overtime. The anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties of turmeric act as a natural safeguard against allergies and skin infections.
You can use this combination for all skin types, but doing a patch test is always recommended.
- Wash a handful of Indian nettle leaves and grind them to have a paste
- Add ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder into
- Apply that paste over your facial skin and rinse it off after a few hours
- Do this method once per day, preferably before going to bed and leave it there overnight
- Keep doing daily for 4-6 weeks to remove unwanted hair
- Note: If you are allergic to any of these ingredients, temporary skin itching and irritation can happen.
17. Safflower Oil And Thanaka Powder
Also known as kusuma, safflower oil has been recommended by a lot of people who have used it to remove unwanted hair. This is a reliable Ayurvedic method and can be used for all skin types.
All you need to do is:
- Mix ½ tablespoon each of safflower oil and Thanaka powder with a pinch of turmeric
- Apply the paste over your face and leave it there for 15 minutes
- Massage gently against the direction of hair growth for 5 minutes
- Rinse it off with water a
- Repeat this process 3-4 times per week for 5 months
- It is not required to wax your affected area every time you use this mixture; however, it is absorbed better as the hair has been eliminated. This paste ought to be creamy, not watery.
- Do a patch test to warrant that you are not allergic to used ingredients.
18. How To Remove Facial Hair Permanently – Basil And Onion
One of best treatments for how to remove facial hair that has been used for ages by women is basil mixed with onion. Having a variety of health, skin and hair benefits, onion can facilitate hair growth. If combined with basil leaves, onions can help you get rid of unwanted facial hair. This method is suitable for all skin types.
- Cut 2 onions
- Pull out thin transparent membranes from between layers of onion
- Crush a handful of basil leaves
- Mix them well and grind into a good paste
- Apply it over your face and wait for 20 minutes
- Rinse it off with water
- Repeat this procedure 3-4 times per week for a few months
In addition to curing some health issues, fenugreek seeds are considered one of permanent methods on how to removal facial hair that will be worth your attempt thanks to its powerful natural components.
You can mix fenugreek seeds with green gram to have a thick paste that can rub off facial hair.
All you have to do is:
- Grind 2 teaspoons each of fenugreek seeds and green gram
- Mix these powders and add some water to have a good paste
- Apply it over your face and rub it off
- Wash the face then with chilled water
- Repeat this procedure twice or thrice per week for better results
Note: People with sensitive skin should avoid rubbing too hard to avoid skin rashes.
20. Sugar And Molasses
You can use the combination between sugar and molasses to remove hair on face while enjoying a sweet fragrance. This paste is sticky and gooey that sticks to your facial hair when it dries. This routine is rather similar to waxing, but it is not suitable for those with acne-prone or sensitive skin .
- Mix 2 tablespoons of sugar with some molasses
- Heat the mixture until the sugar dissolves entirely
- Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice into
- Apply it over your face in the direction of hair growth
- Use a waxing strip or cloth to cover
- Pull it off in the opposite direction of hair growth
Note: You should not make a too hot mixture before applying it otherwise you may suffer from scaled skin.
21. Gelatin And Milk
This mixture can help you treat blackheads well. But, it is rather sticky and icky so not many people go for it. But, if you do not have anything else at home, then you can try out. Due to its stickiness, when you peel off, the hair will come off.
- Mix 1 tablespoons of unflavored gelatin with 2-3 tablespoons of milk
- Add 1-2 drops of lemon juice or lavender essential oil
- Heat the paste a little bit
- Apply it over your face (not too hot)
- Let it dry and peel it off
- This method is not suitable for acne-prone and sensitive skin.
- Keep it away from your eyebrows. If it happens, use a wet cotton ball to wipe it off.
22. How To Remove Facial Hair Permanently – Garlic
Despite there is not enough scientific information backing up this claim, many people still recommend the use of garlic for hair removal. If you are not allergic to garlic, then there is no reason for not trying this common ingredient because it comes with a few beauty benefits.
However, it is not suitable for hypersensitive skin. Do a patch test before really using it.
- Squeeze a fresh garlic clove to get its juice
- Massage the juice on the affected area
- Leave it there for 30 minutes
- Rinse it off with tepid water
- Do this method once per day till you get good results
Note: Sometimes, garlic induces allergic reactions along with asthma. Before going out, avoid using it due to its strong odor.
23. Saw Palmetto
Also known as Serenoa repens, saw palmetto is a small palm-like plant having fan-shaped leaves and sharply toothed stalks. This plant is native to Southeastern US and has anti-androgenic effects. Thanks to this property, it can lower the level of androgen which is the male sex hormone within the body, thereby reducing the excessive body hair growth.
You can buy saw palmetto in the forms of dried berries, powdered capsules, powdered, liquid tinctures, and liposterolic extracts. Warrant that the product is standardized and is a fat-soluble saw palmetto extract which consists of 85-95% of sterols and fatty acids.
You could consume the liquid extract, but the effectiveness is not known because it has not been tested yet. This ingredient cannot be used to make a tea because its active ingredients – the fatty acids – are insoluble.
According to some studies conducted in Europe, the saw palmetto berries’ extract if taken twice per day with a dosage of 160mg could prove to be an efficient cure for removing facial and body hair . Nonetheless, it might take up to 2 months to get noticeable results.
- Saw palmetto is not suitable for children.
- It might increase the potential risk of bleeding
- Consult your doctor prior to using this herb if you are taking hormone medications like blood thinners, including clopidogrel (Plavix), aspirin or warfarin (Coumadin); birth control pills; or suffering from hormone-sensitive ailments.
24. Chaste Tree
Chaste tree is also known as Chasteberry. This flowering plant is native to the Mediterranean region and has been widely used for hormone balancing purposes. The standardized extract of this plant possesses anti-androgenic properties. It is often used as a treatment for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) – one of the main causes of hirsutism.
Thus, if you have excessive hair growth due to PCOS, then chasteberry extract can do a trick for you. It acts on your hypothalamus as well as pituitary glands, thereby facilitating the production of luteinizing hormone. The result is a mildly inhibited release of follicle stimulating hormone.
That is why consuming chaste tree extract can balance the essential hormones for women, and treat menstrual issues related to PCOS. As an indirect result, your excessive hair growth will reduce as well.
People with PCOS are recommended using 40 drops or 175 mg (about 0.6% aucubin standardized extract) each day . Nevertheless, you need to consult your doctor to have the right dosage for your own case.
- People taking hormone medications like birth control pills or suffering from hormone-sensitive ailments should consult their doctor before using chaste tree.
- Sometimes, this herb interferes with Parkinson medicines as well as antipsychotic drugs.
25. How To Remove Facial Hair Permanently – Black Cohosh
Aka Actaea racemosa, Black cohosh is a plant of buttercup family. This plant is native to eastern North America and has anti-androgenic properties, not to mention other health benefits. As mentioned earlier in this article of “How to remove facial hair permanently”, this effect is good for treating hirsutism .
You can make use of this herb in the form of tea by following the steps below:
- Mix 20grams or 1 ½ tablespoons of dried black cohosh root with ¼ cups of water into
- Stir well and place it on the stove
- Boil up and allow it to simmer for 30 minutes till it reduces to 1/3 of its initial amount
- Switch the stove off, strain the solution
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey into
- Leave it cool down
- Drink a cup of this tea 3 times per day
- Put the left amount in your fridge
- Do not consume too much because it might cause abdominal discomforts, nausea, headaches, dizziness and other problems.
- Consult your doctor before using black cohosh if you suffer from liver disease, clotting disorder, hormone-sensitive ailments, or are taking hormone medications.
How To Remove Facial Hair Permanently – Extra Tips
Some extra tips on how to remove facial hair permanently are:
- The more regularly these methods are used, the less painful you will feel.
- Maintain a healthy, proper diet plan to balance your hormones.
- Drink plenty of water to keep your skin healthy and hydrated.
- Do not over-use these methods, take the help from professionals for better results.
- Consult your doctor in case your hair growth is associated with other masculine features such as reduced breast size, deepening voice, increased muscle mass, and so on.
- Consume phytoestrogens-rich foods such as licorice, fennel, flaxseeds, gotu, and kola which possess high content of phytoestrogens to decrease hair growth on face.
Despite there are some magical potions as well as herbs for hair removal, you need to always consult your doctor before practicing any herbal treatment that may impacts your hormones. Many experts in alternative medicine enhance the use of herbs for treating hirsutism, most have not been officially tested by scientists .
Do not take these supplements in case you are pregnant, preparing for pregnancy, or breastfeeding, or have a history of uterine, breast, or ovarian cancer, or have other conditions related to hormones.
Generally, there are many ways to remove pesky facial hair, such as tweezing, shaving, electrolysis and laser. Nevertheless, except for electrolysis, other solutions are often temporary. Hope that with the methods on how to remove facial hair permanently, you get smooth facial skin for good.
For any contributing ideas about this topic of 32 Natural Ways How to Remove Facial Hair Permanently, feel free to drop your words in the comment box below.
To refer other health and beauty tips, visit our How To page.