Stomach bloating is caused by increased levels of vapor in the gastrointestinal tract, metabolic disorders of the carbohydrates, or from fermentative disorders of the microorganism, which are mainly intestinal bacteria. Stomach bloating and gas causes a lot of discomfort to the patient. They make patients have trouble in eating. It is sometimes a nuisance in the communication and daily activities of the patients.
To treat the disease, getting the right treatment is very important. Besides, having a proper and scientific diet is very necessary, because it helps to speed up the treatment process. Not only does this article provide you with a basic knowledge of stomach bloating, but it will also reveal to you a list of common foods that cause stomach bloating and gas. To cure end-stage disease, avoiding or restricting these foods is what you need to do. Therefore, do not miss out on anything that this article shares below.
What Is Stomach Bloating And Gas?
Stomach bloating is full stomach feeling after eating. This is really a very uncomfortable feeling. Stomach bloating is an enlarged abdomen, usually accompanied by bloating. The patient will have a feeling of bloating when the amount of gas in the gastrointestinal tract increases abnormally.
Stomach bloating can occur in the stomach or small intestine or large intestine, depending on the location of the gas increase that the patient will have different feelings and expressions. Stomach bloating occurs due to the accumulation of vapors in the stomach, which occurs when the amount of vapor in the stomach and intestines is large. When we gulp about 2-3ml of air into the stomach, this is the source of the oxygen and nitrogen that accumulates in the digestive tract. The gases produced in the gastrointestinal tract (stomach and intestines) can be pushed out by belching or sniffing. On average, one day in adults, there are about 17 times out of breath. Bloating occurs when the dietary habits are high in starch, sorbitol-rich foods, gum or chewing habits, lactase enzyme deficiency, or pancreatic failure. When more vapors are produced due to the fermentation of undigested carbohydrates and cellulose, it will cause more dysfunction. Intermediate constituents include: H2, CO2, CH4, all with no odor but accompanied by vapors escaping from the large intestine should have a foul odor.
What Are Common Causes Of Stomach Bloating And Gas?
Here are some of the main causes of stomach bloating:
- The most common cause of stomach bloating is chronic gastritis caused by Helicobacter pylori infection. In addition, it may be due to habits of unmanageable behavior, stressful psychology, nightmares, sleeplessness, or even high-intensity exercise, inhaling too much air. Not only that, there are some cases of frequent and constant stomach bloating, patients go to the doctor to find ulcers in the stomach or worse, cancer.
- Eating plenty of starch while your body does not have enough enzymes to metabolize it is a cause of stomach bloating. Eating too fast and using of many stimulants (alcohol, beer, coffee, and cigarettes) can cause the same problem. In addition, some food or spices when eaten in the stomach creates a reflex that causes lower esophageal spasm to cause belching (onions, garlic …) or eating habits.
- Due to gastrointestinal motility disorder, the intestinal gastrointestinal tract causes the stomach to be full of food and slow down intestinal tract, which makes digestion of food be difficult.
- Due to microbial dysfunction in the gastrointestinal tract, the food is not fermenting enough to cause food to become stagnant, fermented, and vaporized.
- Due to gastrointestinal motility disorders (gastrointestinal tract), the stomach is always full of food and slow down intestinal tract, causing difficulty digestion of food or due to disorders of bile secretion (inflammation, bile duct …).
- Although 80% of stomach bloating comes from the stomach, it can also be from the liver. The liver functions to produce bile, which then secreted into the bile duct system outside the liver and is secreted into the intestines to help digest fat and food. In addition to detoxifying function, the liver is also responsible for digestive function. Therefore, patients with liver disease such as hepatitis, liver stones, liver abscess, and cirrhosis … can also suffer from stomach bloating symptoms. In addition, the gallbladder with the function of storage and secretion of gallbladder when the gallbladder with stones or inflammation also lead to stomach bloating, gastrointestinal disorders.
- Due to absorption disorders: In children with stomach bloating, there is no other cause is found, up to 40% is due to disorders of absorption of milk.
- Stress is also one of the main causes of stomach bloating. When you are in a state of stress or anxiety, you will swallow a lot of air without knowing it. Constant stress also increases gastric acid secretion, causing stomach ulcers and flatulence, indigestion.
- In addition, stomach bloating may also be due to patients taking certain medications that affect the normal physiological functions of the digestive system (stomach, intestines), such as medication in hypothyroidism, medication in hypertension or drug used to treat depression …
Stomach Bloating Is A Sign Of Other Diseases
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
When you have long-term stomach bloating symptoms such as pain, constipation or diarrhea, this may be a symptom of irritable bowel syndrome. This is a common gut disorder. Bloating is the most uncomfortable problem of this disease. Experts say cutting cereals and whole grain foods from the diet can reduce the risk of bowel cancer by 30 to 40 percent. You should avoid foods such as breads, oats, instant cereals, candies … to reduce the discomfort of the disease. In addition, natural fermented yogurt can help your digestive system.
- Abdominal Gas
The culprit of this phenomenon is the carbohydrate-rich foods such as beans, broccoli, cabbage, plums, apples or gum containing sweeteners that replace sorbitol … They cause food in the digestive slow digestion and release sulfur gas makes the stomach warm yoke, uncomfortable. It is recommended to eat slowly, chew carefully to limit bloating, flatulence.
- Celiac Disease
Celiac is an intestinal disease. The cause of the disease is gluten sensitivity, a protein found in wheat, barley, and rye, leading to inflammation and intestinal mucosal abnormalities. The disease occurs in people of all ages with symptoms such as diarrhea, fatty liver, malnutrition, vitamin deficiency. If you experience the above symptoms, see your doctor for a blood test for peptic ulcer. Experts advise people with bloating and irritable bowel syndrome should be tested to diagnose diseases related to the gastrointestinal tract.
- Hormonal Change Due To Pregnancy
Premenopausal women or in the early stages of pregnancy may experience prolonged stomach bloating. Hormonal change is the cause of slowing bowel movement, which slows the digestive tract, leading to flatulence and constipation.
Exercise 30 minutes a day can improve this condition. In addition, you should drink plenty of water, eat fruits and fruits to improve digestive tract.
- Ovarian Cancer
The symptoms of this cancer are quite vague, so most of the patients are only diagnosed when it is too late. If you experience persistent bloating, difficult eating combined with urinary problems alerts you to dangerous health conditions. You should go to the hospital for medical examination and diagnosis in time.
What Are Symptoms Of Stomach Bloating And Gas?
- You feel stressed stomach. This symptom is very common, even if you are hungry but your abdomen is still strained.
- Uncommon abdominal and thoracic distress, anal or mild abdominal pain, which can spread to the chest. Patients feel slightly up to the chest but they cannot burp.
- Whether hunger or full, patients do not feel the taste of food leads to anorexia, stop eating often.
- It will be difficult for patients to digest food. Food in the stomach makes the patient rarely feel hungry.
- Repeated burping: The vapors produced during digestion without escaping through the anus, which pressure the esophageal muscles to relax and push them back through the mouth.
- There is often a feeling of nausea if the choking of the throat, chest or food is too long.
- Do defecation several times a day.
- If the patient suffers from abdominal distension accompanied by other intestinal conditions, the symptoms will be more diverse than those with dull abdominal pain, constipation or diarrhea, or both, vomiting.
- Symptoms of bloating, abdominal distention: repeated belching, heartburn, diarrhea, nausea or vomiting (caused by inflammation of the pyloric stenosis causing stagnation), abdominal distention, vaginal discomfort, constipation … Uncomfortable feeling when burping and burning throat. More pain can cause abdominal pain, angina, which is noticeable after eating.
How To Reduce Symptoms Of Stomach Bloating And Gas
- You should drink 1.5 – 2 liters of water a day, helping to release toxins from the body.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables to provide a large amount of fiber for the body, which tends to discharge rapidly through the digestive tract, removing toxins from the body.
- You should supplement the vegetables. Prior to using garlic and some fruits such as orange, grapefruit, apple, pineapple, pear after high protein meals.
- When eating, eat slowly, chew carefully, eat small pieces to avoid swallowing air and food into the stomach (causing gastric and other forms of indigestion). Limit food to sour, spicy, candy, pastry … For people with heartburn or acid reflux, to avoid the pressure on the stomach should divide the meal into 4-5 small meals per day. Limit talking when eating.
- Quitting chewing gum habit causes the stomach to accumulate more gas and aggravate bloating.
- Heavy drinking and smoking can cause nausea and increase the level of acid in the abdomen that can lead to acid reflux and heartburn. Therefore, avoid tobacco and alcohol.
- In addition, you can use the hands massage the belly (massage) to increase the movement of the stomach, intestines help to digest food better, avoid stagnant food for many days. There should be a light exercise regimen to increase normal bowel movement in a physiological way such as walking, playing badminton, breathing exercises to mobilize the muscles to increase the movement of the stomach and intestines.
- Walking is also a form of relaxation that eliminates stress. When it is flatulence, long-term abdominal distension and frequent recurrences, it is necessary to go to the doctor for a specific treatment and not use the medicine without the doctor’s instructions.
When To See A Doctor?
Patients should be aware of their vapors. Bloating accompanied by one of the signs and risk factors such as difficulty swallowing, weight loss, anal bleeding, and bowel disorders (especially in the elderly) is a serious condition. Then it is necessary to quickly go to specialized medical facilities for medical examination and treatment if you have these symptoms .
There, you have discovered some information about stomach bloating. Many people say that they frequently experience bloating and stomach discomfort, especially after hearty meals, increased restlessness, and abdominal discomfort. You need to check your diet as well as the foods you eat before you suspect you may have a certain disease of the digestive system. Today’s eating requires consumers to have the knowledge, even become smart eaters to get the best health. There are many foods that provide substances that the stomach acid is difficult to metabolize, accumulation at the same time will cause dyspepsia in the stomach. In addition, eliminating the possible causes of stomach bloating is something that is extremely important for you to avoid of uncomfortable feeling. It is time to find out what food can cause stomach bloating and gas that you need to stay away. Take a look at TrueRemedies.com!
Top 15 Common Foods That Cause Stomach Bloating And Gas
1. Foods That Cause Stomach Bloating – Types Of Beans
This is the first common food in the list of top 15 common foods that cause stomach bloating and gas. Beans are known as foods that cause stomach bloating because of their high levels of vitamin, mineral and vegetable proteins. However, most beans contain a sugar called alpha-galactoside, belonging to a group of carbs called FODMAPs. FODMAPs (fermentable oligo-, di-, mono-saccharides and polyols) are non-digestible short-chain carbohydrates and are then fermented by intestinal bacteria in the colon. Bloating gas is a by-product of this process .
- For healthy people, FODMAPs are simply fuel for digestive guts and do not cause any problems. However, another gas will be formed during fermentation with people with irritable bowel syndrome. This gas can be uncomfortable with symptoms like bloating, flatulence, abdominal distention and diarrhea.
- Starch is an indigestible fiber in the bean’s outer shell. To reduce abilities to get stomach bloating, when eating beans, you can soak dried beans overnight. Water will break down some of this starch, thereby making the starch go to the large intestine.
In addition, they are rich in sugar and fiber as complex stachyose and raffinose – the two complex sugars that, which our body cannot digest. Therefore, instead of trying to digest them, our bodies let the bacteria process them from that gas. There are some types of legumes that are easier to digest such as pinto beans and black beans, especially after soaking.You can also substitute beans with cereals, meat or quinoa.
2. Milk And Dairy Products
They are the foods that should be mentioned in this list of foods that cause stomach bloating. Milk And Dairy Products has the effect of causing stomach bloating and gas. Lactose intolerance is a common problem of about 20% of the world’s population, which is the cause of stomach bloating. This is one of the most obvious diseases in children, children often go to the toilet, abdominal pain, or “deflated” after drinking milk. It is because the stomach does not produce an enzyme that helps digest lactose. Lactose-free products such as milk and dairy products such as cream, yogurt, butter, sour cream and cheese are recommended to be used instead of milk and dairy products. Take calcium supplements such as dark green vegetables, shrimp, crabs, cauliflowers…
3. Foods That Cause Stomach Bloating – Whole Grains
Among the foods that cause stomach bloating that this article mentions, whole grains are the most noticeable foods. Whole grains also act as stomach bloating agents. Because whole grains are usually composed of high carbohydrate vegetable fibers, they are often harder to digest than others. When this fiber reaches the colon, the bacteria associated with them cause fermentation to release the gas. Consumption of foods such as crackers, breads and whole grains should be limited to avoid bloating .
4. Vegetables Having Indigested Sugar
Some types of vegetables such as bean sprouts, celery, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, leeks, onions, cauliflower, cabbage, and broccoli often contain sugars that are difficult to digest in high concentrations. Cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, spinach, kale contain carbohydrates FODMAPs, a substance that produces gas in the stomach that causes flatulence. Although vegetables are rich in vitamin K, calcium and iron, we should not over consumption. When these sugars pass down the colon, the gas is released as a by-product. You should limit the use of these vegetables when you are bloated. If you have stomach bloating after eating these foods, you can seek medical for help.
5. Foods That Cause Stomach Bloating – Carbonated Drinks And Sodas
This is one of the foods that cause stomach bloating that few people know, but this true. When you drink carbonated drinks such as soft drink, beer…, you will add to the digestive system of the amount of gas from the outside. This often causes the person drinking carbonated drink has to reduce gas emissions through the anus and causes heartburn. Replacing soft drinks and carbonated drinks with water, tea or juice is a good alternative to health.
6. Hard Candy
The next food item in this list of foods that cause stomach bloating that this article refers to is hard candy. Biscuits are the product that creates the intestinal gas, and when you accidentally swallow the candy, you swallow some of the gas from the outside into your stomach. In addition, sorbitol – a sugar substitute – is often used as a sweetener in candy, which increases the risk of bowel gas.
7. Foods That Cause Stomach Bloating – Oatmeal
This is another food item in this list of foods that cause stomach bloating. Oatmeal is a delicious and healthy breakfast food. Many people use diet yogurt to lose weight because it has high fiber content. However, the fact is that these foods do not pose a hazard if they are not used properly. Health experts say that oatmeal or any of its other products, including oatmeal or oatmeal, cause excessive gas in the intestinal tract due to its high fiber content.
8. Processed Foods
The next one in this list of foods that cause stomach bloating is processed foods. Packaged foods, processed foods, fast foods, whole grains or bread that contain lots of lactose and fructose. The combined use of these foods in all diets will lead to increased gas in your stomach.
9. Foods That Cause Stomach Bloating – Chewing Gums
Chewing gum usually contains more sorbitol, in addition to xylitol or mannitol. They are all difficult to digest, increase belching, and create gas in the stomach. The process of chewing gum causes us to swallow more saliva. It accidentally brings a large amount of air into the abdomen, causing stomach bloating. Chewing gum is like eating, but other foods are not put on the stomach. It causes excessive salivation, resulting in excessive acid in the stomach, ulcers, and stomach pain. Most types of gum contain mint, excessive use can cause intestinal disturbance, causing digestive diseases  .
Apple contains plenty of nutrients and fiber. However, when you eat apple too much, your body will not absorb the sugar contained in this kind of fruit. The stomach takes time to produce enzymes that help the body digest. Therefore, it leads to the body producing gases in the stomach and intestines. The main cause is fructose (a type of FODMAP) and high fiber content. Fructose and fiber can be fermented in the large intestine, creating gas and filling the vapor. Cooked apples are easier to digest than fresh apples.
11. Foods That Cause Stomach Bloating – Watermelon
Among the foods that cause stomach bloating that you should know, watermelon is one of the most noticeable foods. Watermelon is a naturally sweet fruit that contains high levels of fructose. According to Greer, about 30-40% of us can not completely absorb fructose, leading to stomach bloating and sometimes diarrhea.
12. Spicy Foods
This is also one kind of the foods that should be mentioned in this list of foods that cause stomach bloating. This may be a small surprise when spicy foods are bad for our digestive system. It not only burns our throat. When it goes down the stomach, it also frees up stomach acid, thus causing stomach bloating.
13. Foods That Cause Stomach Bloating – Wheat
The opposite opinion about wheat has erupted over the years, mainly because it contains a protein called gluten. Wheat is still widely consumed. This is a component of most bread, pasta, tortilla, and pizza, as well as baked goods such as pastries, biscuits, pancakes, and waffles. For people with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity, wheat causes serious digestive problems including bloating, diarrhea and stomach pain. Wheat also contains FODMAP which causes digestive problems in many people. There are many foods that do not contain gluten like quinoa, buckwheat, almond flour and coconut flour.
This is one of the foods that cause stomach bloating that few people know. Onions are plants grown underground with unique and intense flavor. We do not eat onions all time, but they are common uses in cooked meals, side dishes, and salads. Although we usually eat very little onion, onions are one of the sources of Fructan level. These are soluble fibers that can cause stomach bloating. In addition, some people are sensitive or intolerant of other compounds in the onions, especially fresh onions. Therefore, onion is a cause of bloating and other digestive problems. Cooked onion can minimize negative effects on digestion.
15. Foods That Cause Stomach Bloating – Garlic
This is the last one in this list of foods that cause stomach bloating. Garlic is a widely used food because of its taste and therapeutic effect. Like the onion, garlic contains Fructans, a type of FODMAPs that can cause stomach bloating. Allergy or intolerance to other compounds in garlic is also a common condition, with symptoms such as floating, itching.
The above-mentioned are common foods that cause stomach bloating and gas. Everyone should know these foods to avoid overusing them when they have stomach bloating and gas. If you have any contributing ideas about our article of “Top 15 common foods that cause stomach bloating and gas” introduced in Superfoods Category, do not hesitate to drop your words below this post. We will answer as soon as we could.