Most people have calluses on their hands and feet. This is actually a common condition as you think. Calluses can be formed due to many causes such as frequent driving, cycling, and weightlifting. These calluses often cause you much inconvenience and roughness, which makes you feel uncomfortable with their appearance.
However, the problem is not just that. Numerous studies have shown that the calluses may be signs of some serious diseases. Therefore, we want to give you more information about this. In addition, home remedies to treat this condition under normal conditions are also things you can find in this article.
What Are Calluses?
Calluses are thick layers of skin. They usually form when the skin is constantly under pressure. You usually have calluses on your feet or hands. Normally everyone has calluses. Especially for manual workers, these calluses will appear more clearly. Calluses are very thick dead skin, formed by excessive rubbing of the skin with hard objects for too long. Sometimes they cause pain even though they are small in size. Callus is not considered as a medical illness, but if you feel uncomfortable, there are many ways to treat it .
However, as we have said above, in addition to the aesthetics, calluses can also be a warning sign of an extremely dangerous disease that we should not underestimate. However, according to a recent study by scientists, it has been shown that, in some cases, these lesions may also be a warning sign of an extremely dangerous disease: esophageal cancer. This disease is the eleventh most common cause of death in the United States. In 2016, 16000 people in the United States died because of this dangerous disease.
According to a new study by scientists from the University of Queen Mary (London, England), in some cases, hands and feet calluses are also closely related to cancer of the esophagus. They found that the genes that are believed to cause esophageal cancer are also the cause of the calluses on our hands or feet larger than normal. According to the scientists, the gene that causes esophageal cancer is iRHOM2. This gene also has the ability to control Keratin – a form of protein in the outermost layer of the skin and is the main culprit in the formation of calluses. And in mice experiments, mice carrying the iRHOM2 gene were more likely to have unusually thick skin than those without this gene.
The researchers hope that their research will provide a new way of diagnosing and treating patients with esophageal cancer in the future. However, they also recommend that we should not be overly concerned about calluses if they do not show signs of abnormalities. Instead, you should pay close attention to the more obvious signs of this serious disease, such as difficulty swallowing certain foods such as vegetables, bread and meat; chest pain; fatigue and vomiting.
In addition to being associated with the risk of esophageal cancer, according to traditional medicine, calluses are also related to other organs in the body (depending on location). Specifically:
- Calluses appear more abnormally around the heel as a sign that you are more likely to have problems with your joints.
- If the little toe of the right foot suddenly appears abnormal calluses, you may be experiencing liver dysfunction.
- In contrast, if the calluses appear abnormally in the little toe of the left foot, it is very likely your heart is going to have problems.
What Are Common Causes Of Calluses?
The main cause of the calluses is the increased friction or pressure on the feet or hands. Some other reasons are:
- Wearing tight shoes can make your legs squeezed. In the meantime, wearing shoes that are too wide will cause you to rub your shoe a lot, causing calluses.
- Not wearing socks when wearing shoes will increase the friction between feet and shoes.
- Repeated actions such as playing an instrument or even writing a note may cause calluses.
- Long standing with high heels. High heels concentrate pressure on the toes and compress the foot area, causing calluses.
- Regular running.
- Holding hands repeatedly puts pressure on the hands.
- Using sports equipment or musical instruments can also cause a callus on the hands.
- Bunion tumor (a tumor on the joint of your big toe).
- Toe distortion (a defect causing the toe to curl).
What Are Common Symptoms Of Calluses?
You can easily identify the calluses by just looking. The common symptoms of calluses are thick, hard, and dry skin areas. These skin areas may turn gray or yellow and they are less sensitive when touched than normal areas. You may also feel pain in these areas.
You may experience other symptoms not mentioned. If you have any questions about the signs of the disease, please consult your doctor.
Who Is At High Risk Of This Problem?
Calluses are a common condition and can affect patients of all ages. However, this condition is especially common in those who regularly have to handle (such as manual workers) without protective equipment. You can control this condition by reducing the risk factors. Talk to your doctor for more information.
When To See A Doctor?
If you notice any feeling of pain or inflammation in the calluses, please consult your doctor. Doctors will perform minor surgeries to drain the fluid inside or prescribe antibiotics to treat inflammation. If you have both diabetes and calluses, you should contact your doctor immediately as you are at risk for complications. The state of each person is different. So consult your doctor to select the most suitable option.
Above is the basic information about calluses. Under normal conditions, this problem does not affect your health, but they can make you feel uncomfortable and lack confidence, especially when shaking hands with others. Therefore, you have a good reason to want to remove them. Here are 28 natural home remedies for calluses on hands and feet which are very simple and effective. You can do them right at your home. Take a look at TrueRemedies.com!
Top 12 Natural Home Remedies For Calluses On Hands And Feet
1. Soak In Warm Water
Soaking your hands, feet or elbows in warm water is the first remedy in this list of home remedies for calluses on hand and feet. This is also considered as the simplest method to treat this problem. Your skin becomes softer after being soaked and dead skin can be removed easily.
To apply this remedy, please folow these steps below:
- You just need to soak your skin with warm water for 10 to 12 minutes to soothe as well as soften the calluses skin areas
- Then gently scrub your hands, feet or elbows with pumice stone
This will help you remove the terrible calluses easily. Use pumice stone as it is a specialized stone to remove the calluses on the hands and feet. They will not hurt you when you use it. You can do this remedy one week in advance for best results.This remedy usually works best for newly formed lesions. Apply this remedy in the evening, before you go to sleep. Adding a little salt of epsom or sea salt is not a bad idea. This is good for your health and sleep. Besides, you can add 1 cup of apple cider vinegar if you have severe calluses. However, do not do this if you have diabetes or poor circulation.
Note that you should apply a layer of moisturizer on this skin area. This will help soothe the skin by moisturizing it and providing it with all the nutrients it needs to accelerate the regeneration of new skin cells.
Besides, you can soak your hands, feet or elbows in hot chrysanthemum tea. Chrysanthemum tea contains anti-inflammatory ingredients that help to soothe irritation. Then, all you need to do is use a pumice stone to slowly remove the calluses.
2. Use Moisturizer
Among home remedies for calluses on hands and feet, using moisturizer is one of the most effective. Similar to warm water, moisturizers help to soften the calluses. Then, you will easily remove the dead skin with pumice stone. You can buy moisturizers or use home-made ingredients such as: vitamin E oil, coconut oil, olive oil, or aloe vera.
To apply this remedy, please folow these steps below:
- Apply 2-3 layers of moisturizer on the skin with calluses, massage gently and soak the skin in the water tank
- Then gently scrub these calluses with pumice stone
Besides softening the calluses, moisturizers also help them rise. This helps you remove them easily. You should apply this remedy in the evening, before going to bed to achieve the best results. This will give your skin time to recover. Do not forget to apply another layer of moisturizer on the affected skin areas.
Another great tip is to apply moisturizer on the skin and warm this skin area overnight with plastic bags, gloves or socks. The skin will be moisturized for a long time. After waking up, use pumice stone to remove calluses. They will be eliminated quickly without causing any pain.
This sounds strange when it comes to home remedies for calluses, but it works. Lemon is also a great natural ingredient to help fade calluses on the hands and feet. Not only that, lemon helps to effectively eliminate odors. All you need to do is to apply lemon juice to the calluses and let them dry naturally. Apply this remedy once a day for the best results. After a while, the calluses on your hands and feet will fade significantly. Besides, you can use 1/2 lemon to rub gently on the calluses for 1-2 minutes, then risen with warm water. This also eliminates the calluses in a very effective way.
The next treatment in this list of home remedies for calluses is using vinegar. Vinegar is a very good antimicrobial agent. Besides, it is also used to remove dead cells, which help to soften the skin naturally. Therefore, you can use vinegar to treat calluses on hands and feet daily.
To apply this remedy, please follow these steps below:
- Mix vinegar and water in a ratio of 1: 3
- Then, you take the cotton dipped into the solution and apply to the calluses
- Leave this solution on your skin overnight
- The next morning, use the pumice stone to remove the calluses
That’s all you need to do. After one night, with the use of vinegar and water solution, calluses will become softer. This makes removing them easy and painless. Do not forget to moisturize the affected skin areas after you have completed all of the steps above.
This sounds strange when it comes to home remedies for calluses, but it is very effective. Onions have anti-inflammatory effect. It also helps to reduce infections. Therefore, onion is the ingredients used to treat acne and calluses effectively. Onions help soften calluses and make them easy to peel off.
To apply this remedy, please follow these steps below:
- Crush 1-2 onions and apply them on calluses
- Use a medical bandage to fix them on the skin
- Leave them on the skin overnight and remove them the next morning
6. Castor Oil
Among home remedies for calluses, castor oil makes it fame due to medicinal properties. This is a natural oil produced by pressing the castor plant’s seeds. The oil is used widely in most continents because of its amazing benefits, such as removing acne, healing inflammation in skin, and curing dry patches. Because of such benefits and many others, castor oil becomes a major ingredient in a number of herbal remedies, including home remedies for calluses. The oil can soften the calluses and make it go away . Just 3-4 days of applications will bring to you good results.
Some of the most effective are given below:
Method 1: Castor oil pack
- Soak a piece of cotton ball in castor oil
- Squeeze out the oil
- Place the ball over your affected area
- Use plastic to wrap the affected area
- Place a hot water bottle on that pack and wait for about 30 minutes
- Repeat this routine every day till you get better results.
Method 2: Castor oil and apple cider vinegar
- Add 1 cup of apple cider vinegar to a bowl of warm and soapy water
- Soak your affected area into this bowl for 15 minutes
- File the foot having calluses with a pumice stone
- Remove your feet and apply castor oil on the calluses
Method 3: Castor oil and vitamin E oil
- Mix 3 tablespoons of castor oil with 2 teaspoons of vitamin E oil
- Warm up that mixture a little bit
- Massage your affected area with this mixture for several minutes
- Wear a pair of socks and leave it there overnight
- Repeat this daily till your calluses disappear
Note: Do not use this oil if your skin is broken.
7. Pumice Stone
This may be the simplest one in this list of home remedies for calluses. Because calluses and corns are dead skin, so it is good to remove it by rubbing your problematic area with a pumice stone. What you need to do is:
- Soak your affected hands or feet in warm water for 5-7 minutes
- Rub a pumice stone over such areas for 2-3 minutes
- Repeat this routine daily to get faster results
8. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a fermenting liquid that has cleansing and exfoliating properties. Thus, it is used to remove calluses naturally. It can exfoliate dead skin cells while softening your calluses. Also, its antibacterial property helps in killing bacteria that might be lurking around the affected area .
All you have to do is:
- Fill a basin with hot, soapy water
- Add 1 cup of warm apple cider vinegar into
- Soak your affected hands or feet in the solution for 15 minutes
- File your feet or hands using a pumice stone
- Repeat this routine daily
- Mix apple cider vinegar, Listerine, and warm water as the ratio of 1:1:2
- Soak your affected area in the mixture for 10-20 minutes
- Use a clean, dry towel to dry out your feet or hands
- Exfoliate using a pumice stone or electronic foot file
Listerine has thymol, which is an antifungal and antibacterial agent, so mixing these ingredients together will definitely soften the hardened calluses and prep your feet for exfoliation.
9. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is renowned for its use as an exfoliant. Furthermore, it can soothe your skin and relieve pain thanks to antibacterial properties . An Epsom salt foot soak can soften the callused, hard skin, so removing it will be easier and less damaging. After using this method, your feet will become baby soft.
- In a tub or basin, add warm water enough to cover your feet
- Add 3 teaspoon of Epsom salt into
- Soak your affected area in this solution for 20-30 minutes
- After patting dry your feet, exfoliate using a pumice stone
- Rub the stone back and forth on the calluses till your skin is smooth
- Use a towel to wipe your feet to remove the loosened skin
- Apply moisturizer as usual to restore moisture
- Repeat this routine every day after your shower
10. Baking Soda
Rather similar to Epsom salt, baking soda – one of must-try home remedies for calluses, also helps to exfoliate dead skin cells from the callus . Moreover, its antiseptic property also keep your feet free from infection .
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of baking soda, lime juice (optional) and water together
- Apply the paste over your calluses
- Wait until the next morning to remove it off
- Use a pumice stone to file dead skin cells
- Do this daily for about 1 week to get the best results
Note: Do not let that paste touch any other skin part because it may dry up healthy skin.
In regard to home remedies for calluses, garlic is not only easy-to-find but also effective. It is widely used for a variety of illnesses, including calluses. It can be used at night. In accordance with a study, it was shown that garlic has antibacterial and antifungal properties, shielding the feet against any infection .
What you have to do is:
- Cut 2-3 garlic cloves into small pieces
- Then, add a pinch of salt to it
- Mix them well to have a good paste
- Rub the paste over your affected area, cover it with an adhesive bandage
- Wait for 48 hours to remove the bandage
- Clean your feet and repeat this routine
Note: It is not essential for you to use salt with this remedy. You could use just plain garlic and vinegar as an alternative for salt.
12. Turpentine Oil
The turpentine oil is rather little known regarding home remedies for calluses . In addition to being a strong antiseptic, this oil can penetrate into skin. As a result, it makes skin soften and tender, thereby healing faster .
- Put some ice cubes in a thin cloth
- Wrap it up and massage your affected area with it for 2 minutes
- After patting dry, apply the oil and rub gently
- Use a bandage to secure
- Wait till the next morning to remove it off
- Repeat this process till you get good results
This fruit has long been for its amazing healing effects. Also, it can slough off your skin thanks to an enzyme named papain . Thus, it is great to use it for callus relief.
You just need to apply a small papaya piece onto your impacted area, wait till the next morning. Alternatively, you can also use papaya juice for similar effects. Do this routine daily till your calluses disappear.
This is a popular Ayurvedic medicine used to handle a number of diseases and health problems. Also, it is among the most functional home remedies for calluses and foot corns that do not show any side effects in the long term.
The estrogen-like substances in licorice can soften hard skin layer, making it fall off to pieces. Additionally, the powerful healing and medicinal properties can promote fast healing and prevent further infections  .
What you need to do is:
- Take 2-3 licorice sticks to grind into powder
- Add ½ teaspoon of mustard oil into to create a good paste
- Apply the paste to your affected area and cover with a bandage
- In the next morning, remove it off
This remedy will help in reducing the size of your calluses.
15. Tee Tree Oil
This is an antifungal, antibacterial and natural antiseptic. Thus, you can use it to remove calluses in natural ways.
- Pour a few drops of tea tree oil in a basin which is full of warm water
- Soak your affected area till your skin becomes soft
Note: Do not soak in this solution for over 15 minutes because tea tree oil is strong and could damage your skin if it is exposed for too long.
Pineapple is a tropical fruit which is proven to be one of good home remedies for calluses. It helps in not only lessening the pain but also speeding up the healing process. Bromelain – the enzyme presenting in pineapple can dissolve the callus effectively .
All you have to do is:
- Place a piece of fresh pineapple on your calluses
- Secure it with a bandage
- Repeat this routine nightly for about 1 week for good results
This Asian spice will help you get rid of calluses with ease thanks to its antimicrobial and healing properties. To make use of this spice, you had better combine it with honey. The healing properties of honey will fasten your skin problem in just a few days  .
What you need to do is:
· Mix 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder with 1-1 ½ tablespoons of honey
· Apply the paste over your affected area and let it dry
· Rinse it off then
· Repeat this routine twice per day for 2-3 days to reduce the size of the callus.
18. Vitamin E Oil
Among hone remedies for calluses, vitamin E oil is simple-to-use. Not only is it an essential nutrient for the maintenance of the health of hair and skin, but it is also a good solution for calluses and corns. It can moisturize and soften the rough and hard skin area while promoting the healing process due to the presence of antioxidants.
19. Change The Shoe Style
This is another must-try home treatment in this list of home remedies for calluses on hands and feet. Calluses are mainly caused by wearing shoes that do not fit the size of the foot. Buy another pair of shoes which is more appropriate. Before buying, try it first and if they make you feel good, buy them. Often, calluses are a sign that your shoes are tight. If the calluses appear on the tip of your toes, it is likely that your shoe is not long enough for your feet. In the meantime, if they appear in the middle of your toes, your shoe is not wide enough, and if you see calluses on the back or near your heels, this means your shoes are a bit wide.High heels can also leave the calluses. Limit high heels if you are facing the calluses in the feet.
Besides, cut your toenails. It is very likely that your shoes will suddenly become tight because your toenails are too long.As such, friction will be created, making the calluses easy to form and develop.
20. Use Salicylic Acid
This remedy is one of little – known home remedies for calluses. Many people often confuse salicylic acid with aspirin (salicylate). Salicylic acid works by increasing the amount of moisture in the skin and removing the substances that make the skin cells stick together. This helps to remove skin cells more easily.
There are many ways to eliminate calluses with salicylic acid sold at drug stores. Applying this acid directly to the calluses needs to be treated. This helps to soften the hardened skin. Note that you should apply salicylic acid in the affected skin areas to avoid damage to healthy tissue around. Apply this remedy every day after showering until the calluses disappear completely.
You can buy patches containing up to 40% salicylic acid, which are sold at pharmacies. When using the patches, you first have to try on the hard skin, then cut them to fit the calluses. Please use these patches for 48 to 72 hours and ensure they are always dry. You can use this remedy until the calluses are completely removed. Replace patches according to manufacturer’s instructions or doctor’s request. Be careful when applying this remedy because these patches can affect the sensitive skin around. Do not forget to use pumice stone to remove dead skin.
Note that do not apply this remedy if you have diabetes or poor blood circulation. In this case, please see your doctor for advice.
21. Use Aspirin
You can use aspirin as a substitute for salicylic acid. Aspirin has anti-inflammatory properties, so it helps you avoid bacterial invasion, and eliminate dead cells and calluses. By grinding aspirin, you can create your own treatment for calluses.
To apply this remedy, please follow these steps below:
- Masticate 5 aspirin pills and mix them with half a teaspoon of lime juice and half a teaspoon of water. Mix until a thick paste is formed
- Apply the mixture to the calluses, do not apply it to healthy skin around
- Massage gently for about 5 minutes
- Risen your hands and feet with water
Please apply this remedy 1-2 times a week to get the best results. Maybe you will wonder why there is the appearance of lemon in this recipe. Acids and vitamins contained in the lemon component will help brighten and soften the skin. This helps in the removal of calluses. Using aspirin is reckoned one of the best home remedies for calluses.
22. Use A Silicone Shoe Pad
The next treatment in this list of home remedies for calluses is using a silicone shoe pad. Everyone must admit that when wearing high heels, women look a lot more attractive. However, high heels are more likely to form calluses. Sometimes the heel is rubbed against high heels, causing severe bleeding.
Silicone shoe pads protect your feet when wearing shoes. Use a shoe pad that fits your feet and toes to prevent them from rubbing against one another. This reduces friction, which reduces the development of the calluses. They also help the user feel soft and smooth when wearing high heel shoes. Owing to this product, your feet will be protected against friction and scratches. Therefore, place these pads on friction-sensitive areas to protect your feet.
23. Minimize The Pressure On The Fingers
The next one in this of home remedies for calluses is minimizing the pressure on the fingers. You can apply this remedy to reduce the calluses caused by holding the pen. When writing, you need to minimize pressure on the fingers. Calluses are the body’s protective mechanism to prevent irritation on your sensitive skin. Relax when you hold the pen. If you hold the pen too tight, this means the pen will rub and wrinkle on your skin. Relax while writing and stretch your arms to remind yourself not to press or squeeze the pen when holding.
24. Use Hand Protection
Get some accessories to protect your hands like soft gloves or velvet pads. This method will help your skin soften as well as protect the skin from rubbing directly with the pen. If the weather is not really appropriate for you to wear a thin pair of gloves, you can also use only a bandage or velvet wrap around the affected finger. Another option is to use a pen pad to keep your pen soft. Therefore, you do not have to worry about holding pen causing nasty calluses for your fingers.
25. Use A Nail File
This is one of the little-known home remedies for calluses on hands and feet. You can use a nail file to remove the salluses. As the skin in the calluses is dead, this will not cause any pain. However, you should not rub too strongly because you can damage sensitive skin underneath. Perform regularly for several days to achieve the desired effect. Note that you should not cut the skin of the calluses as this is very easy to cause deep damage inside the skin.
Please apply crushed onion on calluses every day for at least a week to get the best results. Although this remedy takes a long time to work, but you will be surprised about the results it brings.
Home Remedies For Calluses – Preventative Measures
If you want to avoid calluses in the first place, then you should follow these preventative measures:
· Identify the cause of continuous pressure that lead to corns and calluses, and eradicate it as soon as you could.
· Trim the toenails regularly. The too long toenails could make the toe joint push against the shoe, thereby causing corns.
· Use a file to trim the toenails straight so that your toe tip does not push into toes and smoothes nails’ rough edges.
· If you know the symptoms of foot corn, you had better soak your feet in the warm water mixed with Epsom salt, then moisturize your feet.
· Keep your hands and feet clean and free from moisture. Use talcum powder to control moisture in feet.
· Avoid using rolls to eliminate the calluses. Go for professional podiatrists as it could result in infection and bleeding.
· Put some pieces of cottons in between your toes to relieve irritation resulted from soft corns.
· Opt for the shoes which have a comfortable fit.
· Purchase the shoes made of natural materials such as leather that can breathe and let the air flow to the feet.
· Consult your doctor instantly if your calluses or corns are hot to touch and red or if it changes in color or bleeds.
Try out these effective home remedies for calluses removal to get lasting relief from painful corns and calluses. They are really safe and effective. Apply them as soon as you notice the signs of the calluses. This will help you shorten treatment time. Wish you have smooth and soft hands and feet.
If you have any contributing ideas about our article of “Top 28 Natural Home Remedies For Calluses On Hands And Feet” introduced in Home Remedies Category, do not hesitate to drop your words below this post. We will answer as soon as we could. And don’t forget to share your remedies and tips with us.